Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"At that moment I felt God step into the room"

I'm listening to a radio interview of a guy who was shot up in Aurora and the top of my head's about to come off. He keeps describing himself as a "man of Jesus" and a Christian. He said that he was lying there shot up in the theater and the shooter was standing right next to him still shooting and the gun jams. Well, he describes it as "I felt God step in and say 'enough is enough'.  Really? Give me a fucking BREAK. Where was your god to begin with? Why didn't He stop this before it even began?

Jesus Fucking CHRIST.

by Anonymousreply 6605/22/2013

This is something that has always angered the shite out of me. What about the good people - especially the children - who were not that lucky? How do they feel about you spouting off about how god saved you?

Whenever there is a tragedy, there is always some nutter who claimed that god looked after them. But, there are christian people who were not so lucky. Did god forsake them? What did they do that god didn't think they deserved to be saved?

Personally, I don't believe in any of this religious bull crap, but I feel bad for good, honest people who lost loved ones. How do they feel when they hear people like him spouting off about how his god-damned god saved him.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2012

That came up a lot on 9/11. The best was on Mad TV where the recurring annoying old lady character was having a phone chat with Miss Cleo and asked her if on 9/10 she got any kind of warning at all, "even just a little bit?".

Seems like most of religion is about making excuses for God not intervening to prevent bad things. It's called Exegesis.

Go read "Blameless in Abaddon" about a lawyer who prosecutes God (after God falls to Earth) in the ICJ. Fantastic exposition (expose really) of exegesis in a very engaging fictional novel.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2012

People that constantly have to insert religion into every event are really showing how weak their faith is, not how strong. If their faith was strong they would not have to keep trying to convince others that is so.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2012

After Columbine, some family who lost a daughter managed to spin a few half-truths and wishful thinking into some story about how their daughter had died courageously defending her faith. All of which is to say crazy fundies always have a great story regardless of outcome. Perfectly random events are "proof" of God's love and power. Such fucking idiots. So smug. So stupid.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2012

Only morons would go to see this movie and all theists are morons so this moron's magical thinking should be of no surprise to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2012

I'm not a knee-jerk anti-religionist, but this type of shit really frosts me. It's a perfect example of someone with low intelligence trying to find an explanation for how a benevolent God could allow something like this to happen. Guess what: There isn't one.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2012

It's too bad God was running late that day and couldn't get there in time to stop it from happening at all.

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2012

The guy is an asshole...he's prably the same one who said he forgave the shooter as soon as he was shot. Let him kill your kid and then see if you feel like forgiving him.

I can't think of anything nice to say about this bullshitter.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2012

Religious faith is the portal to the realm of insanity.

As kids we are told to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and when we are nice and always listen to our parents Santa and the Easter Bunny will bring something nice to us, but if we are naughty ... oh, you don't want to be on the shit list of Santa or the Easter Bunny, no, no, no.

As adults we are promised a glorious afterlife if we are nice, don't ask too many questions, remain obedient, don't break the rules, always say yes and thank you, and listen to our spiritual leader(s) or otherwise HELL and neverending pain awaits us!

The moment we are born we are groomed to believe lies and myths that keep us under the thumb of others who use us as their pawns. These lies and myths become stupid people's comfort, hope, and their idea of reality.

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2012

r7, are you sure you meant god and not Mark Wahlberg?

by Anonymousreply 1107/24/2012

Turns out God was at a soccer match...helping a good Christian player, play one of his best games ever!

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2012

The people who believe in a daddy-god are desperate but they aren't to be despised any more than schizophrenics should be objects of scorn.

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2012

R8 - he DID say he forgave the shooter!

by Anonymousreply 1407/24/2012

[quote]atheists...The saddest people on the planet

Which explains why Scandinavians, people that have the lowest church attendance are also the happiest people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 1507/24/2012

[quote]Turns out God was at a soccer match...helping a good Christian player, play one of his best games ever!

No he wasn't, he was in a recording studio helping a Rapper win a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 1607/24/2012

"I am meant for better things than dying at a midnight showing of a trite movie - unlike the rest of the people shot up that night."

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2012

Hummm. You think the Rapper? But I was so sure...

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2012

[quote}

I'm actually not an atheist. I do believe in God. I just don't believe in all these very simple-minded, biased, and politically-motivated fundamentalist religious interpretations of him.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2012

[quote]I just don't believe in all these very simple-minded, biased, and politically-motivated fundamentalist religious interpretations of (god)

As opposed to the well thought-out, rational, logical, non-biased and non religious interpretations?

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2012

[quote]As opposed to the well thought-out, rational, logical, non-biased and non religious interpretations?

Don't argue with me. I'm on your side. I hate fundy Christians too.

I'm allowed to believe what I want for whatever reason. Same as you. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 2107/24/2012

God was there. Sent by Eartha Kitt to protect her legacy as Catwoman.

by Anonymousreply 2207/24/2012

God got caught in traffic.

by Anonymousreply 2307/24/2012

Do not take away their pacifiers.

Like the newest born baby, they will cry.

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2012

R7 R21 I'm not arguing nor am I saying you are not allowed to believe what you want. I'm just curious what interpretations of a deity are not simple minded, are not biased and are not shaded by religion.

by Anonymousreply 2507/24/2012

The pacifier statement reminds me how ex addicts turn to god. They're just trading one crutch for another.

by Anonymousreply 2607/24/2012

There are two basic ways to look at the world:

"God (whichever flavor you prefer) works in mysterious ways."

OR

"Shit happens."

I go with the latter myself.

by Anonymousreply 2707/24/2012

R26 nothing annoys me more than the ex strippers/junkies/party animals who once they realize they are too old to keep carrying on as they did turn to Jebus and then brow beat everyone who lives their life as they once did. To me, its like they are saying, "I had my fun but you cant and I will do whatever it takes for you not to enjoy the same things I once did."

by Anonymousreply 2807/24/2012

God was too busy "listening" to Bristol Palin's 3 year old bastard son calling his aunt a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 2907/24/2012

R28, as a former bible beater, I can tell you that you are absolutely right. Even for the people who weren't addicts or strippers, there is a sense of "if I can't enjoy life and experience natural human desires and emotions then NO ONE SHOULD"

It drives bible nutters crazy that there are people walking around who are not as conflicted as they are.

by Anonymousreply 3007/24/2012

Was God on a toilet break when everyone else was being shot in the head/back/neck etc? Could he not have 'had enough' before the six year old girl was gunned down?

Man these religious people just take it too far with the miraculous survival shit...

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2012

R30 Every Bible thumper I have had the displeasure of meeting started the same way; dancing with a pole or a needle in their arm or a crack pipe in their mouth or some strangers dick in their mouth. Yet they think all that is irrelevant because now they have "seen the light".

by Anonymousreply 3207/24/2012

[quote]A tread for atheists. The saddest people on the planet

A tread for atheists? You got shoes waiting for us, buddy?

by Anonymousreply 3307/24/2012

"Man these religious people just take it too far with the miraculous survival shit..."

Agreed. I do wonder how any of these people, like that idiot Aurora survivor who made the ridiculous comment, would answer if you asked him calmly and rationally how he would explain why "God" spared him and not the others.

by Anonymousreply 3407/24/2012

God's kind of a prick for letting that 6 year old die and the Christian guy live.

by Anonymousreply 3507/24/2012

[quote]I'm allowed to believe what I want for whatever reason. Same as you. Deal with it.

The thing is, though, R7, I find that atheists are willing to explain, with logic, why they don't believe in God, while believers... aren't. They tend to just go with something along the lines of: "Because I can/want to and it's my right."

Hopefully you can see why that approach doesn't gain a lot of respect from those darned logic-loving atheists.

by Anonymousreply 3607/24/2012

A tornado struck in the next town over, doing considerable property damage but killing no one. Sure enough, a couple weeks later there appeared a huge billboard thanking God for sparing the lives of everyone.

An optimist sees the glass as half full. A religious fanatic sees it as completely full.

by Anonymousreply 3707/24/2012

Wouldn't God sort of float in rather than step in? And if he did step in, what kind of shoes does God wear?

by Anonymousreply 3807/24/2012

[quote]Where was your god to begin with? Why didn't He stop this before it even began?

Some of this is Heavenly classified news - but what I can tell you is that God The Father, His Son Jesus Christ Almighty & The Holy Ghost were involved in a hot & heavy 3-way when the shooting began. By the time The Lord Thy God could extract Himself, a few victims were already - shall we say - called to their better place.

But keep in mind it is all part of God's plan ...He works in strange & wondrous ways - emphasis on the strange.

by Anonymousreply 3907/24/2012

My spiritual upbringing as a child consisted of my parents telling me the same thing any time god came up. "Churches are out to brainwash you and steal your money". That's all I've ever needed. I often wonder why this evil god character people talk about hasn't done anything too bad to me, yet. I'm still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 4007/24/2012

God didnt save the little girl? What bullshit

by Anonymousreply 4107/24/2012

Everything happens for a reason. God has a plan.

by Anonymousreply 4207/24/2012

A child's life is no more precious or valuable than an adult's life.

by Anonymousreply 4307/24/2012

This is the interview. It's 21 minutes long.

by Anonymousreply 4407/24/2012

Six million Jews didn't feel God either!

by Anonymousreply 4507/25/2012

The thing about that guy is that he is an obvious grifter. Something fell in his lap and he will make the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 4607/25/2012

R42 So does that mean the shooter was doing God's work?

by Anonymousreply 4707/25/2012

After Columbine, some family who lost a daughter managed to spin a few half-truths and wishful thinking into some story about how their daughter had died courageously defending her faith.

That was Cassie Bernal who ALLEGEDLY died defending her faith. Her parents and other Xtians insist that one of the killers asked her if she believed in God, she said "Yes," and he shot her in the head.

Which, of course, strongly implies that if she'd said "no", he would've let her live! Pow, perfect pretty white virginal Xtian martyr.

See link for the real story.

by Anonymousreply 4807/25/2012

god picks favorites, so better start kissing some godly ass, or you're next!

by Anonymousreply 4907/25/2012

"find that atheists are willing to explain, with logic, why they don't believe in God, while believers... aren't."

Atheist groups make billboards with ironic comments. They've never contributed anything remotely significant to any struggle. They had a chance during Prop 8 to really show that they truly cared about not wanting religion to interfere with the laws of the land, but as a whole they were nowhere to be found. I guess it takes a lot to be dragged away from your bathroom mirror.

Real non-believers tend to be a lot more tolerant and don't even call themselves atheists. These Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher loving fools are just supreme narcissists who have no interest in anything except themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5007/25/2012

[quote]These Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher loving fools are just supreme narcissists who have no interest in anything except themselves.

Sounds just like the god you worship, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5107/25/2012

You American's are too religious for your own good and your gun laws are a free for all mess.

You cause your own problems and then look so stunned when the wheels come off the cart...

But you never do anything to fix it. You all just blame each other and then become even more rigid in your hatreds.

by Anonymousreply 5207/27/2012

You fucking HAVE to be kidding R53.

Christians, as a whole, hate gays and want no equality at all. They want us dead so don't come at us with insane shit like that.

Anyway, god doesn't exist. But nasty christians do... End of story.

by Anonymousreply 5407/27/2012

Eff me sideways, you Americans are just so fucked up about everything aren't you? I think there must be people like OP, religious fundies and atheist nutjobs, that must just sit there waiting to be offended.

I truly believe people like OP really get off on being offended.

I surprised there are any chairs left in America, you are all so self-righteous and so anally retentive you can't sit down for fear of sucking up the furniture.

Some people believe in a God, some people don't, get over OP and get a life. Stop wasting you precious moments of your only life get your knickers in a twist.

by Anonymousreply 5507/27/2012

R55 NAILED it.

by Anonymousreply 5607/27/2012

People love to judge others because it prevents the very same people to take a good look at themselves and their own issues. And for the same reason they cling on to some deity hovering above them which calls the shots and relieves them from the burden of taking responsibility for their own actions (GOD MADE ME DO IT!).

by Anonymousreply 5707/27/2012

As long as we don't have to see that douchelord father who left his family at the theater.

by Anonymousreply 5807/27/2012

God was coordinating His next major earthquake in a foreign country because that's how He warns America about homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 5907/27/2012

OP's response doesn't necessarily need to be a result of being offended - it could equally be one of frustration.

The belief that God personally saved this man's life is reflective of a bigger issue that goes to the heart of the gun control debate - that the individual is more important than the community.

God loves me more because he saved my life. Nobody is more important than me.

I must be able to own a semi-automatic weapon. Nobody is more important than me.

The trend towards putting an individual's right to be a selfish asshole at the expense of acting compassionately or to empathize with others is getting out of hand. It is affecting everything - health care, social security, a fairer tax system. OP is right to call people out on it.

And it's not just atheists who should be dumbfounded by this guy. Genuine Christians should be calling him on his utter selfishness, when at times like this a Christian's first instinct should be to act and speak compassionately and to comfort those who were less fortunate than he was.

by Anonymousreply 6007/27/2012

[quote]It's too bad God was running late that day and couldn't get there in time to stop it from happening at all.

I got stuck behind some a**hole at the concession stand who couldn't decide between Twizzlers and Raisinettes.

by Anonymousreply 6107/27/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 6205/22/2013

I don't have a problem with people thinking a higher power is a force in their lives, but I do have a problem when they try to convert me, or they tell me that what I believe is evil, misguided, or just plain wrong. Or to justify wishing harm, or doing actual harm, to those who do not believe the way they do. They do not seem to know how cause and effect works.

by Anonymousreply 6305/22/2013

god likes me the best!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6405/22/2013

Religion is all about ego, not the meek and humble. God loves you sooo much (they're certain!) that you will be one of the special people He choose to live up there forever.

Whatever. All we know is if you dig a body up a few months later, it's rotted like any other carcass. What happens next NO ONE KNOWS. And no one will ever know because the dead are dead- and they're not talking.

by Anonymousreply 6605/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.