Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tips on dealing with "boredom" when you stop drinking?

A poster in another thread mentioned he had started drinking again because of boredom.

That's always been my problem. I can stop drinking, and within a few days start to feel really good physically because of sleeping better, less hangover headaches, etc.

After a couple of months, I start to feel this build up of tension or whatever. I just get incredibly bored with feeling the same way every day, never feeling immensely happy or immensely sad or whatever. I just feel kind of numb.

So, I'll give in an go on a bender just to feel that carefree, joyous feeling you sometimes briefly get when you're drunk, which - since I'm an alcoholic - leads into drinking every night again.

I'm 50, and at a point in my life where I know that if I want to live another 25-30 years, I've got to stop drinking. For those of you who have stopped successfully, how do you get over the hump here?

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2018 7:33 PM

Walking. Lots of walking and sour balls, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2012 10:28 PM

Why would yo wamnt to live another 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2012 10:38 PM

Start gambling!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2012 10:39 PM

Video games.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2012 10:41 PM

I'm in the same boat OP. In fact, I find I can't get motivated to do basic work around the house without a drink or two. After a few, I'm a powerhouse.

Sometimes, on a rare occasion, I find myself enjoying something like gardening without a drink and I stop and think "I should be drunk right not". I don't know if it's habit or I think I enjoy things more if tipsy.

I'm thinking of buying a bottle of sleeping pills and when I'm not at work, take a few to sleep through the boring moments without drinking.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2012 10:47 PM

[quote]I'm thinking of buying a bottle of sleeping pills and when I'm not at work, take a few to sleep through the boring moments without drinking.

This is what I did. Guess what's now replaced my alcohol addiction.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2012 10:51 PM

Am also 50 and an alcoholic. Am dealing with severe relapses and long, potentially fatal benders.

There are some lively GLBT AA meetings where I live and I've made some great sober friends with whom I've hung out. When I stop doing that, I go on horrible benders and just wallow in self-pity. When sober, I feel and look great.

For me, the dt's I'm experiencing now are simply not worth doing this ever again.

We can do this. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2012 10:54 PM

Only boring people are bored.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2012 10:56 PM

i AM in the same boat op. I drink red wine and I want to stop! can anyone give me any pointers for getting through the first 30 days?

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2012 11:11 PM

For those of you who don't enjoy being sober, I suggest pot -- if you don't want to smoke, eat it in cookies or candy. It's not addictive & it's not bad for your health (unless you use so much that you get lung damage from smoke or obesity from cookies).

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2012 11:17 PM

The last time I bought pot was about 20 years ago and I had a regular supplier.

Like I can just walk up to some stranger I think might sell pot and ask them if I can buy.

Not only that, how does a person find a reliable seller? One that isn't selling crappy stuff.

booze, you just walk into a store and walk out.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2012 11:32 PM

I live in California, so there are numerous pot shops, also it's decriminalized here now

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2012 12:31 AM

[R 12] Obama will arrest u!

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2012 8:56 PM

Boredom is huge for me too. Every time I've relapsed, it wasn't going to clubs or meeting a guy or whatever. It was me, at night, sick of watching some lame TV show and pretending to care or reading a book and pretending to care or doing whatever and pretending to care.

At some point, I just said, who cares if I'm bored? There are worse in life than being bored. I got used to feeling bored. And, over time, it quit being a negative thing and was just...a thing. I don't find much enjoyment in life, but at least the little I do find is mine. I own that, not a drug or a drink.

Lame I know, but it's worked for me in a way the alternative never did.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2012 9:15 PM

Smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2012 9:23 PM

In the beginning, you need to replace the drinking with another PLEASURABLE activity.

Don't worry about calories, cost, or "quality" of the activity.

If cookies gets you through the night, then eat cookies.

If reading the National Enquirer does it for you, then read the National Enquirer.

Don't judge yourself or do the old "instead of drinking, I'm going to TRAIN FOR A MARATHON!!!"

For me, books, movies, and home design magazines will keep me pleasantly absorbed in activity and I don't miss drinking.

None of these activities is going to set the world on fire, but then that's not the point.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2012 9:23 PM

That's good advice, R16.

Any posters who still drink but have successfully cut down? My goal is no alcohol during the work week but drinking what I like on weekends.

Can it be done?

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2012 9:38 PM

Cutting down didn't work for me...after a couple glasses of wine I would say fuck it, I'm an adult and I can get blotto if I want to...and I always did.

Those days are over...none for me thanks.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2012 9:43 PM

Binge drinking has its own problems so make sure you drink only a reasonable amount on the weekends.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2012 9:46 PM

Not sure it would work for most people r17, but this helped me stick to a diet and stop drinking. I don't carry cash or credit cards. Luckily I live close to my work, so if there was an emergency, it would be easy enough to go home and get money or credit cards. If I'm going someplace after work, I bring only what I will need - like the cost of a movie ticket.

I usually go to the gym after work and shower as soon as I get home. That helps a lot too - working out curbs my appetite for both food and booze, and I'm not tempted to go anywhere once I am home, showered and in my pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2012 9:48 PM

Of course cutting down can work. If you're not an alcoholic. And even if you, most alkies can go long stretches of time "normal" drinking, or somewhat normal drinking, but eventually, the disease wins out and the drinking will get out of control. Just be honest with yourself. If you're a true alkie, you'll know it. Then stop. If not, cutting back should be totally doable.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2012 1:34 AM

Girl, your problem is not boredom, your problem is you're a fucking drunk. Join AA. Anyone who says it doesn't work is just a drunk who can't stop drinking. No judgment, just a fact. I'm a Dr. so I see it frequently. What you call boredom sober people call serenity. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's no other way to get it across to you.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2012 1:47 AM

After coming to the conclusion I drank too much, I stopped drinking heavily 25 years ago. I didn't drink at all for the first 20 years. I now enjoy an occasional glass of wine or two at the most.

Here are some alternatives to medicating with alcohol that might work:

1. Take up a sport that requires time to master , one that you can enjoy as a passion.

2. See a good therapist and figure out why you are medicating with alcohol.

3. Build some new relationships with people who are healthy. This requires dumping heavy drinkers from your list of friends.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2012 1:54 AM

The cheesy religious pretenses of AA drive some people to drink. AA has no statistic s to support the claims made by some if its members.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2012 1:59 AM

I knew the resident 'AA for everyone' would rear it's opinionated ass head.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2012 2:01 AM

Start 13 stepping.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2012 2:11 AM

40 year hard drinker here. went through every dam thing imaginable. the only one thing that filled that bordom or lack of euphoria strong enough that i dont care to drink ( and its been 6 years) was SEX with younger girls ~ i took a trip to india , hooked up with a perfect skinny teen and just started a thrilling trip thats never ended ... im not into childern so dont get the wrong idea of my post .. but a young woman with that magical energy and intoxicating body is so vastly superior to drinking its undescribable. good luck

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2012 2:24 AM

Well which is it? Teens or women?

Nevermind. I really don't want to know.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2012 2:28 AM

Friday afternoon drinkie-poo bump.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2012 6:04 PM

I would love to know the bordom cure . I messed my body up sooo bad. Im only at a month clean. Im on disabilty without my car" they took my license away" in mental health grounds. Stupid suicide attempts.

Any advice on how to fill time. Its very hard to get off the couch still i figured i would have felt better by now?

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2012 5:35 PM

You can help me pack my stuff. Find a physical activity. Retile your bathroom or something.

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2012 5:52 PM

Boredom after stopping drinking- when you have a problem? Most alcoholics, if not all, that I know, had lives that were beyond boredom. Their careers where going down the drain, as was their health, and many were losing and alienating friends and family. Among those I know who are staying sober and recovering, boredom is not a problem.

Boredom is a state of mind. If you are bored, there is something wrong with you- making yourself drunk (dummber etc) may give you the short term illusion of not being bored- but trust me, you are boring- or rather, you are in a state of being that is not fun anyone around you, if not yourself.

If you think you have a problem with drinking, then you do. So stop or continue and see how much more misery you can stand. Get help, a shrink, a trusted mentor, AA is great. It is not remotely a place of "religious pretenses. You do not have to believe in God at all. You DO have to believe that you cannot control your drinking- and be 'willing' to take advice and support from others who have successfully stopped. A cliche in the rooms of AA: GOD = good orderly direction.

Lots of people have lots to say about AA. The only people who really know anyting about it, are drunks who attend their meetings regularly. Others who think they know either do not need AA (good for them) or have not been to meetings, or cannot or will not stop drinking. Perhaps they need to get more desparate, and perhaps they will eventually destroy their lives, as do almost all alcoholics if they cannot get sober.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2012 5:54 PM

I've been totally sober for five years, but now I'm working night shift and the nights are becoming a problem. On my days off I'm up after midnight, bored and lonely and tempted to drink again.

When I worked days, I'd fill my off days with outdoor activities and socializing, but what to do, who to call at 3AM? Maybe I should get addicted to interactive online gaming.

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2012 7:22 PM

R33, if you are up at 3 AM, bored and wondering what to do with yourself- and good for you if you are sober- you are perhaps what is called a dry drunk. You need to find out why you are up and bored at 3 AM, not drink.

by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2012 7:36 PM

R33, ignore the bitter bitches here on this thread. I can totally hear what you are saying. Working night shift and dealing with that schedule is tough enough, let alone combatting those times when there is little alternative to get out and abate boredom.

On line gaming can be toxic, but not nearly as bad as drinking. It could provide you with some cessation of boredom. There's 24 hour gyms in many cities, an alternative if that is your thing. If you are artistic, the night hours could provide you with some good creative energy.

by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2012 7:50 PM

R34, if I'm up at 3AM it's because I went to bed at 8 in the morning and actually slept, and if I'm bored it's because I'm the only person in this little town who's both awake and sober at that hour. Being bored under those circumstances is normal, not evidence of being a "dry drunk".

What to do, what to do? Yoga isn't cutting it, nor are craft projects or movies. Even the Datalounge is stone dead at that hour.

by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2012 7:58 PM

r32 hits it out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2012 8:58 PM

[quote]After a couple of months, I start to feel this build up of tension or whatever. I just get incredibly bored with feeling the same way every day, never feeling immensely happy or immensely sad or whatever. I just feel kind of numb.

OP, I have solid, long-term sobriety but this was the hardest thing for me to get past. I relapsed for nearly 10 years, giving in eventually to the bored restlessness because I couldn't live with it. I came to realize it was an insidious form of craving and that it always came at fairly predictable times in my recovery, about every three months.

Once I identified the pattern, it was not that difficult to break. I planned activities for those times so I would be around recovering or non-drinking friends doing things I enjoyed. It only took two times before the relapse pattern was broken.

To get sober and stay that way, we have to learn to take care of ourselves in new ways.

Best of luck. If I can do it after believing I was hopeless, so can you.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2012 2:30 AM

You could try pot as a substitute, it isn't as hard on your body, and no hangovers. I don't drink a lot, but I'd drink even less if I had a pot connection. I wish I could watch tv and movies stoned, so sometimes I try to use booze as a substitute. But I get sick of the hangovers fast, and won't drink again for months, usually about 6 to 8.

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2012 2:49 AM

I was bored once. It was two days in June 1982.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2012 3:46 AM

The most comprehensive studies done on the effectiveness of AA reveal that it has only a 5% success rate. Fact.

5% is also the rate of annual spontaneous remission, or those who quit entirely on their own with no specific treatment whatsoever. In other words, AA has the exact same success rate as... doing nothing. It basically takes those who are committed to quitting anyway, then takes credit for their success when those individuals should be patting themselves on the back, not crediting every improvement to The Program.

The Sinclair Method, another treatment for alcohol addiction (one based on medicine rather than faith) has been shown to have a 78% success rate in getting problem drinkers to reduce their drinking to safe levels, with 25% of those treated quitting altogether. (This is only one alternative to AA, obviously, but it's the easiest to find numbers on so I used it as my example.)

Notice that the militant AA believers such as R22 never back up their assertions with any numbers or other compelling evidence. They just make blowhard statements such as "This is a fact, period." Unlike R22, I don't need to pretend I have all the "facts" because I have evidence to back up what I'm saying. Oh well - what can you expect from people who obtain all their information about alcoholism and its cure from a group that was modeled on an extremist Christian fundamentalist cult called the Oxford Group (another simple FACT that anyone can easily look up).

If someone finds AA useful, then good for them. Hell, if nothing else, it IS a place to go and hang out where no one will be drinking, which can be very helpful in and of itself during early sobriety, or even when trying to reduce drinking substantially. But the AA nazis who pretend they know everything and are entitled to make assumptions/generalizations about substance abusers everywhere are just pulling shit out of their asses. Ignore them, or better yet, ask them to back up their statements with some REAL, unbiased evidence - statements such as "It's just a fact!" or mere anecdotal evidence don't count.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2012 3:02 PM

[quote] AA is great. It is not remotely a place of "religious pretenses. You do not have to believe in God at all.

maybe at one time but now it is regularly infiltrated by Christian fundamentalists. Sometimes they are rooted out but all too often they change the nature of AA in given regions.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2012 3:13 PM

AA is a cult!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2012 6:37 PM

[quote]maybe at one time but now it is regularly infiltrated by Christian fundamentalists.

Oh, please. Even in my red state I've never encountered a fundie at AA, though admittedly I go to GLBT-specific meetings where they would be decidedly unwelcome.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2012 6:45 PM

Great post, r41.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2012 6:57 PM

Do we drink cause we're bored, or are we bored cause we drink(being alcohol is a depressant, and so is boredom)?

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2012 4:16 AM

I just decided one day enough was enough and stopped drinking and smoking at the same time. Three weeks later, I was in the cardiac ward, where they discovered if I hadn't stopped when I did, I'd have been dead in a year, at the age of 50. The alcohol had enlarged my heart and I had an ejection fraction of 10. Since then, not a cigarette or a vodka.

In other words, you change everything. as they say in AA (where I never set foot), "different playgrounds, different playmates". It works.

Find a new hobby, new friends, new interests, start to pay attention to others and their needs. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2012 4:22 AM

The amount of extra free time is shocking. It was just a lot of evening time lol, I can't believe I used to throw it all away. It's like hanging out in a log cabin by a fire lolz it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2013 10:12 PM

Go to AA, and meet some fun guys. Sobriety can be a lot of fun, plus it gets you out of the house and out of your own head. They do an incredibly fun drag pageant every year too!

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2013 1:30 AM

I hear all you say, but I a still don't know how to stop drinking. I can do it for a night or two but that's it, what do I do after that? I'm bored.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2013 12:32 AM

earrings

caftans

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2013 12:36 AM

I know some are being funny but really pot works. I was not an alcoholic but never cared for it. Pot rocks. I don't get lethargic I get motivated. Couple of hits in the evening and I am up cleaning or organizing.

Recent bought paint and have done 4 rooms in the house so far.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2013 12:43 AM

R14 my experience is pretty similar. I am bored out of my mind and have been for the past 5 years but at least I don't have the panic attacks I used to have. Also I try less to please others or simply rely on others for entertainment. It helps that I do enjoy to read and write (on DL).

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2013 12:10 PM

I would try a rather involved fantasy game on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2013 12:28 PM

AA is for batteries.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2013 12:42 PM

Check out Deepak Chopra's "Freedom from addiction". Not preachy and not AA centered.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2013 12:51 PM

Some of us drink because we're not poets.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2013 12:53 PM

I know exactly what you mean.You have to be careful and be aware of this feeling creeping up on you. Keep reminding yourself where drinking leads you to and why you wanted to leave your drinking every night lifestyle behind. This book helped me. Check it out on Amazon. I Need to Stop Drinking! by Liz Hemingway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2013 6:27 AM

Video Games. Xbox. SkyRim, Borderlands, Fallout3, FarCry3...

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2013 6:47 AM

I was the relapse, binging king back in my drinking days - it was a huge accomplishment just getting 1 week clean. Then, after several unsuccessful and failed treatment programs, I entered and successfully completed a 1-year program - now I have over 15 months sober. Got the routine out of my system and after struggling forward, The Lord Jesus finally set me free. I know a lot of people at my church and AA who have gotten sober without such drastic measures but what it comes down to is that only God got me through it and only God keeps me sober. He alone is our strength ("I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength" Philippians 4:13). Staying busy doing the next right thing is key as well. Lastly, be patient in the process my friends, don't get discouraged, and never give up hope. God bless you guys.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2013 5:55 AM

So: sober people don't know about punctuation yet?

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2013 6:08 AM

Also, FYI R60, mentioning your god kills people's boners. So, you know, if you want to see a boner again? Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2013 6:18 AM

If you still believe AA can change your way of thinking, then by all means go to them. If not, then you might live a while longer. But that's if you don't have accidents, get robbed, or worse, get dui's, etc!

Becoming bored is a mental state that is caused by the abuse of alcohol. You use alcohol to stop the boredom, and your mental health is worsened. No way out, except to stop abusing alcohol. And that requires surrendering to a higher power. (One has to surrender in order to achieve victory.)

And as a previous poster points out: Bored people are boring!

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2013 7:27 AM

I gave up drinking and got really bored. The only thing that saved me and got me going was my new found love of crystal meth.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2013 9:43 AM

Knit a Cuzie for your toaster or invite friends over to reenact A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2013 9:49 AM

I've known some alcoholics who could not stop. It killed them.

by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2013 9:59 AM

OP, start exercising, but take it nice and slow at first to better understand your limits.

Beautiful warm Autumn day, some great tunes on the Ipod, get your groove on in the public park, just like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2013 10:04 AM

Or Prancercize with some of my good looking friends! (I went out with the tall guy for 3 years until he ran off with a tuba player. I'm not making this up.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2013 10:16 AM

I missed the excitement of not knowing how the night will end, who you'll meet and dancing my ass of at concerts or clubs. Evebtually it gets esier to do some of this sober

Your brain chemistry is still messed up. low dopamine levels leave you with no motivation or feelings of pleasure . Start researching alcoholism and nutrition.

A big thing is to cut out sugar and white flour. it will keep the cravings going.

Here are some ideas at link but there is a lot of info out there. Look up neurotransmitters amino acid therapy too.

L Glutamine under the tongue can help stop a craving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 22, 2013 11:01 AM

Cookies! Sweets are a better substitute.

by Anonymousreply 70October 22, 2013 11:04 AM

Five Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 22, 2013 11:22 AM

Datalounge, silly. It has saved my life.

by Anonymousreply 72October 22, 2013 11:26 AM

I started reading more, watching movies, exercising like mad. I also cooked a ton and began writing again (before getting caught up in the party life I was an aspiring writer).

Cultivate hobbies. Take a class. Volunteer. Fuck what the other poster said - train for a marathon and get a hot body in the process. Then get laid.

If you are so empty that you can't even think of one diversion that might interest you then no amount of advice on this thread is going to help.

by Anonymousreply 73October 22, 2013 11:55 AM

The exercising is a very good idea. Do you have room in your house/apartment for a $125 weight and bench set from Walmart?

by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2013 11:57 AM

I've been sober for 9 years and counting and I initially did it through AA. I was a binge drinker but a huge addict. Heroin and crack cocaine. One or the other every day. Had been getting high since I was a kid. My mother put paregoric in my milk as a child so I would sleep and it was on from there. AA was helpful to me but I was ready to quit no matter what. The consequences were too much and I wasn't ready to die. Caught hepatitis C from a dirty needle so that was a motivator to quit the alcohol and not try to substitute it for the drugs. I agree with the poster who said AA's success rate is no better than spontaneous remission. That's statistically true and anecdotally true from my perspective. AA was useful for filling time (if you're going to meetings you hopefully won't be drinking at them), meeting sober people (at the time I didn't know any sober people), and affirming positive action. The god stuff was quite a hurdle however. I began the program as an agnostic and still am to this day really. It probably doesn't help that I'm from the deep south where even progressive types are often Bible-thumpers. I haven't gone to a meeting in years. I have lots of issues that predate my adult using and I found AA to not be supportive of dealing with outside issues. Though the literature talks about the need for that. Therapy has been very helpful. Good physical exercise every day (need to do more of that lately). I needed to develop some hobbies after I had the free time for them. My first few years of sobriety all my time was taken up just working to keep a roof over my head. Try to really remember what you loved to do as a child and do the grown-up equivalent of whatever that is. I know for me so many years of using made me kind of forget who I was. I also did tons of service work. Helping others took me out of self and raised my self-esteem. I did volunteer work with various charities and went into hospitals, rehabs and juvenile detention centers to share my story. Oh, and only hang out with positive people. You're better off on your own than keeping negative company.

by Anonymousreply 75October 22, 2013 12:23 PM

I was never a big drinker but I did use to drink nearly every night, and even everyday. I basically needed alcohol, albeit in small quantities, to have a good time. Basically I'd have one beer an hour, max 3 beers. Or cocktails. Anyway.

I stopped drinking in 2009. Thought I'd neevr have fun in my life.

Last night I went to a concert with an old friend, went to see a band that I used to love back in my drinking days. I had never seen them live. I did not have one drink the whole night. Jumping up and down to that music, seeing them perform and interact with them (I was pretty close to the stage), brought back all those sensations from that era. I did not need one drop of alcohol. And had a grand time.

Felt a little sore in the morning, but had the buzz all through the night and a little in the early morning. None of that ugliness that comes from drinking.

I'd do that night again in a heartbeat - drinks not needed.

by Anonymousreply 76October 22, 2013 12:38 PM

Scrubbing the grout is always a lot more fun after a few Vodka Stingers.

by Anonymousreply 77October 22, 2013 12:42 PM

A friend of mine quit smoking,drinking by sucking more dicks. He practiced safer sex and was able to wean himself off ciggies and alcohol. However he continued smoking grass while increasing his sexual activity. I've heard that pot cuts down on the sex drive but he craved more sex when he quit drinking and smoking. It seemed to be some sort of substution complex at hand.

by Anonymousreply 78October 22, 2013 12:52 PM

Not sure if you'll read this because the original post was from so long ago. But what has helped me a LOT is having projects that I do. For example, I like art and craft so I make jewellery and paint. This can be any creative thing though; furniture design, painting, cooking, sewing, blogging etc. I find when I start a new project I get so excited about it that I actually enjoy doing it and I don't get bored. It's great to feel passionate about something. Obviously you'll still want nights out to relax with a movie, but if you're able to get some hobbies then this should help a lot. It's always fun to try something new and keep your mind occupied.

by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2014 10:51 AM

Do you smoke, OP? If not, have you thought about taking up cigarettes as a substitute?

by Anonymousreply 80October 21, 2014 11:03 AM

I'm a drink till I pass out alcoholic, therefore I do not drink. it's a very addictive drug.

However, I do like a puff of 420 now and then. I've never had any addiction issue with grass. I'm very irregular about grass, and I dislike being stoned, however, occasionally a little pot buzz just puts things into perspective. It opens one's mind to other angles of thought.

I was however, a cigarette smoker, and quit when I was up to two packs a day. It hurt my lungs when I was running, and I enjoy running more than smoking. So I quit the nicotine.

Okay, the boredom. Never had it. I'm creative, so I really enjoy drawing, painting, or even imagining in my mind. The problem people may be experiencing is filling in that drinking time, with a non drinking activity. Get a hobby, gardening, art, helping others, crossword puzzles...working out is a wonderful buzz.

Changing your routine, habits and ultimately, your way of thinking is the toughest part of getting sober from alcohol. Part of it for me, in filling that drinking time, was exercise and cooking...works well together.

by Anonymousreply 81October 21, 2014 12:19 PM

Why would someone who dislikes being stoned smoke pot?

by Anonymousreply 82October 21, 2014 6:32 PM

I had the very same problem when I first gave up drinking. In fact, I would say, it was about a full year of being bored all the time. But after a year it got better.

You eventually re-learn to enjoy life without alcohol. It just happens. But like I said, it takes up to a year for this to happen!

Be patient. That is really the only advice I can give. It will get better. If it can for me it can for you too. But I also take an anti depressant everyday which I am sure helps a lot.

by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2015 1:32 AM

I'm currently on my second day of being sober. Yes I know that is lame but I have to start somewhere. I'm 23, had a horrible event take place in my life in December and since then have been going rapidly down hill. My decision to quit was something I did after I finally accepted that drink is highly detrimental to my mental state. I have multiple trips to A&E, and been sectioned by the police twice in about 3 weeks because I become aggressive and ridiculous with a drink in me. I am not going to lie, the immediate effects of alcohol, I enjoy immensely, it's the after effects that seem to have left me in this hole. Currently feeling very depressed and I struggle with boredom too because I'm a very restless person. It is not possible for me to cut down, if I have one drink I cannot stop and will drink to the point of unconsciousness for multiple days in row until I am trembling and hallucinating. I also absolutely loathe hangovers (doesn't everyone) and I think the bitter regret that comes with those is another reason to want to give up drinking and see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2016 7:17 PM

Ok, so I sat here and read all of this bullshit about quitting drinking... I drink every single day, at least a 6er, and I still manage to pay my bills and my rent and all the same bullshit that any sober person would do... I'm not trying to dignify my drinking nor bash it, but I do however feel that if you're an intelligent individual living in a world full of morons, it's nice from time to time to be able to drop down to their level.... Am I an arrogant, pretentious asshole... Yep.... But it's the same bullshit, alcohol, a pack of smokes, cocaine, McDonalds, I can't quit, wah wah wah... It's not some complicated fucking game of life, it's really quite simple... You do or you don't. It is or it isn't... If you don't like that you drink then quit. If you don't like other things that you do then quit fucking doing them! This whiny ass bullshit about ohhhh, but it's so hard and bla bla bla... Check it... You are ALREADY DEAD! All you're doing by making whatever decisions it is that you're trying to make is either prolonging your life or increasing your chances of death... If you can't drink without being an asshole and starting fights and acting like a fucking tool, then yeah, you should probably quit because in that circumstance you're going to die alone with your fuckin' cat or some shit... If you can drink, and go to work, and support your family, and not be an asshole, and don't get to the extent to where you're sharting at work.... Don't fucking worry about it!!! TCB mother fuckers! Does no one have any balls anymore!? Take care of business. If you can do that, then don't fret.... otherwise go cry to somebody. If a millionaire drinks a 6 pack every night does anyone say he/she has a problem?? It all boils down to societal standards of what is considered to be "acceptable". Live, laugh, and love man, like those corny ass sayings you see hanging on people's walls... I'd rather live 20 years of happiness than 60 years of "Sorry guys, I can't drink a beer cause I'm an alcoholic." If I drink 1 beer then I'm DOOMED!!! Fuck that shit. Grow a fucking scrotum and put a couple nuts in it while you're at it. I will never abstain from a good time due to fear. Fear is weakness, not all this other bullshit... Get a head on your shoulders, don't harm others, be a considerate and caring person, place empathy before anything else, and then do whatever the fuck you want. You're not a child so be an adult... -PEACE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2016 8:59 AM

Join a gym, or do pretty much anything so you will not get bored and drink.

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2016 9:07 AM

R81 if you are smoking weed or hash then you are not sober, and are begging for a relapse.

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2016 9:09 AM

Meth. You'll lose weight, have tons of energy and make new friends!

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2016 9:09 AM

R76 : who'd you go see?

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2016 9:12 AM

Lifting weights and concentrating on eating healthy helps me keep my drinking under control. I don't want the extra calories and the time at the gym keeps me busy.

by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2016 11:44 AM

What's with the drinking threads?

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2016 2:44 PM

eat bananas

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2016 3:08 PM

OP, earrings and caftans

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2016 3:08 PM

"if you are smoking weed or hash then you are not sober, and are begging for a relapse."

AA nazi loon

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2018 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!