Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People you knew BEFORE they were famous

I attended summer camp with Chris Evans. I always thought his sister would become a star, not him.

by Anonymousreply 19307/07/2014

Dish it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2012

Amy Adams. Still kind of know her, but knew her better "before".

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2012

Joey Lauren Adams (she was just "Joey" when we were in school). She always had that voice.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2012

Anderson Cooper. Nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2012

Josh Hopkins. Nice guy but not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

(He appears a lot more 'snappy' on his TV roles and I'm wondering if it's because his thoughts are written out for him. I remember him as being kind of 'slow' but sweet.)

(Youngest kid of 3. His mom was a sweet ditz and his dad was a Congressman from KY)

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2012

My cousin. She was on America's Next Top Model.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2012

Scott Hamilton. Went to high school with him. Nerdy, kinda shy. I had no idea he skated.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2012

I worked with a guy who knew Sally Ride before she was an astronaut. He & she taught tennis at summer camp to one of Martin Luther King's grandkids. He said they were both nice people, but he didn't stay in touch with either (typical, he was SO lazy).

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2012

Queen Elizabeth

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2012

Speaking of Scott Hamilton, there's no WAY that guy is straight...right?

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2012

Went to high school with anchor Page Hopkins (Fox, MSNBC). I wasn't friends with her but remember her as a very tomboyish person who always had scuffed knees running around in her lacrosse uniform (Kilt, knee socks). She was very earthy.

So it was a shock when I saw her on TV in her "ice queen" persona (lots of makeup, somewhat prissy demeanor.) The first time I saw her and heard the name I thought, "Oh, that's funny. I used to go to school with someone with the same name." Then she showed up at our reunion and it was her. She's much more 'relaxed' in person and seems nice enough. I never knew her well.

by Anonymousreply 1307/22/2012

Writers Katie and Ann Roiphe were briefly neighbors of ours when I was a little kid; ditto Melissa Bank ("Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing").

by Anonymousreply 1407/22/2012

My Dad tells me that I played with Rea Dawn Chong when we were kids. This was back when her dad was a musician (as was mine and which is how we ended up together).

by Anonymousreply 1507/22/2012

Jesse Eisenberg, when he was a young teen. Charming kid, very funny, and girl crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1607/22/2012

Jose Canseco. He was playing in the minor leagues and was just a skinny kid - then he got called up and became a steroid-stuffed major leaguer. He was always arrogant and a compelte egomaniac, so nothing changed there.

by Anonymousreply 1707/22/2012

Lucy Liu neighbor right before she became a famous. VERY sweet but a little odd.

by Anonymousreply 1807/22/2012

I'm still FB friends with Donal Logue, who was on a sitcom called GROUNDED FOR LIFE. I went to college with him--everyone was pretty surprised when he became (semi-)famous, but he was also someone everyone liked. Very funny and gentle and likable.

by Anonymousreply 1907/22/2012

by Anonymousreply 2007/22/2012

Pete(r) Krause, from SIX FEET UNDER and PARENTHOOD. Was friends with him in high school, but have lost touch with him as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2012

Robert Mapplethorpe. He was "Bobby" back then, and a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 2207/22/2012

i guess the meaning of this thread is: tell us something dishy about pre-fame celebrities. Not just "i knew XY, s/he was nice-dumb-ugly". a little effort, pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 2307/22/2012

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Dan Castellaneta, Megan Cavanaugh, Kathy Griffin, Jane Hamilton (novelist), Nancy Atherton (Aunt Dimity mysteries), Helene Alexopoulos (NYCBallet soloist)--all from high school (suburban public high school).

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2012

R19 - I went to college with you. Leverett House.

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2012

r7, that's hilarious because I've always thought he had fetal alcohol face.

by Anonymousreply 2607/22/2012

R21, Peter Krause always seemed like a crypto-gay in the roles he played but not one in real life. Is that the case?

by Anonymousreply 2707/22/2012

Start your own thread, r23.

by Anonymousreply 2807/22/2012

I was Adams House.

by Anonymousreply 2907/22/2012

Depending on how you define "famous," David Foster Wallace was my thesis adviser at Illinois State back in 1997. Right at the moment he went batshit crazy from success.

by Anonymousreply 3007/22/2012

The only dirt I have on Joey was that the last time I saw her, the summer after high school graduation, she was working as a hostess at a restaurant where I went on a date with another guy. We somehow managed to order a bottle of wine, despite being only 18/19. We were trying to take the bottle out of the restaurant, and she saw us. The manager came and confiscated the wine. I've always wondered if she narc'ed.

by Anonymousreply 3107/22/2012

[quote]Rea Dawn Chong

by Anonymousreply 3207/22/2012

Kristi Chenoweth. And sorry to dissapoint, but she was a genuinely sweet girl. Just like she comes across now - but without the fame veneer. She was one of the truly Christian people I've met...completely non-judgemental and very loving. And knew how to laugh at a dirty joke, though she didn't tell 'em, and self depricating in an endearing way.

The weird thing was, even back then, she had this "thing" about her. An "IT" factor. (we were young adults, but this was before broadway or any big success) It's like she always had this light that shined from her and drew your attention.

The ironic thing was I got a big really cool show that took ME away from the U.S. for a few years, and we lost touch. By the time I came back she had skyrocketed in success and we've only seen each other a handful of times since. I was always sorry we didn't remain friends because I actually really liked and got along with her. Ah well...congrats on her career. (Me?...not so much. lol)

by Anonymousreply 3307/22/2012

Rodney Anonymous Mellencamp from the Dead Milkmen, in high school - when he was still Rodney Linderman. He wrote a joke article about a couple of friends of mine and me - making fun of punk rock..

by Anonymousreply 3407/22/2012

For the school newspaper, I meant. Still have it, somewhere..

by Anonymousreply 3507/22/2012

"I was always sorry we didn't remain friends..."

because I would have used her.

by Anonymousreply 3607/22/2012

Designer Louis Delollio - if you watch the Home Shopping Club. Grew up with him.

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2012

[quote]Peter Krause always seemed like a crypto-gay in the roles he played but not one in real life. Is that the case?

I thought he might be gay in high school in Minnesota because he didn't date much, and he was incredibly sexy. He was a tall gymnast (his specialty was the pommel horse), and so he had a great body. He was a bit introverted, and was too sarcastic for the popular athlete clique in his class. We met when we did a play together in the spring of his senior (my junior) year.

In college, he got really into theater and apparently really, really into fucking girls. He was the campus male-whore and also the campus star actor (he went to Gustavus Adolphus upstate). We lost touch after that, in large part because I went to college way out of state.

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2012

Vincent D'Onofrio.. he was fat, ugly and mildly retarded. Never woulda guessed he'd be an actor. This was in Florida btw

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2012

Carly Simon. My babysitter. All I can remember is that she was ENORMOUS. Of course, I was 3.

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2012

[quote]Vincent D'Onofrio.. he was fat, ugly and mildly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2012

The only person who made it really big from my highschool did so in Entertainment Production. He was very much an outsider. The popular jock types all ended up as Walmart dads and the pretty bitch girls all ended up in B-Grade Corporate sales jobs. (Selling organic skin care crap, group insurance etc.)

by Anonymousreply 4207/22/2012

Ana Gasteyer.

by Anonymousreply 4307/22/2012

I guess he grew out of it, R39

by Anonymousreply 4407/22/2012

really R(45). interesting so how old would she be now?

by Anonymousreply 4607/22/2012

[quote]I guess he grew out of it, [R39]

And then grew right back into it.

by Anonymousreply 4707/22/2012

R16 "Girl crazy" are you sure.??

by Anonymousreply 4807/22/2012

Hubba, hubba!

by Anonymousreply 4907/22/2012

R45, all this time I thought Annette was just aging badly.

Me, Bob Goldthwaite and Tom Kenney (voice of SpongeBob) we all went to the same High School and worked at the same grocery store. They were in a comedy troupe with my sister. Bob had a big crush on my sister and he was always over our house eating our cheeseballs.

In college I was friends with the woman who would be the future Mrs. Kirk Cameron of all people. She was very sweet and stunningly beautiful. Her name was Nancy Mueller but she changed it to Chelsea Noble.

by Anonymousreply 5007/22/2012

Yes, R47, but you're talking about a span of from when he was likely a teenager to being a middle-aged man. That's hardly "growing right back into it". There were many years where Vincent was quite a hunk.

by Anonymousreply 5107/22/2012

R46: at the time she was claiming to be 21, but a few of us found out that she was actually 28/29. This was, of course, before she was famous, and she was more forthcoming with talking about herself. As I said, though, she really was very nice, a lovely person, good to everyone. You couldn't find anyone who had a bad thing to say about her (unless they were bitch-faced jealous). Beatty hit it lucky. I get the age-fudging business, though. It's Hollywood, after all.

by Anonymousreply 5207/22/2012

I've always liked Bob Goldthwaite and Tom Kenney. Tom Kenney was a neighbor of mine in SF many years ago and I was really happy for him when I found out he was Sponge Bob. He must be making a fortune! I recently saw the latest Bobcat special and he looks like a different person. Have you seen him recently?

by Anonymousreply 5407/22/2012

I knew Chuck Moseley before he was the lead singer of Faith No More. I was friends with a girl in high school who became a fly girl. However, she didn't become a big name like Jennifer Lopez did (who was also a fly girl). I was friends with Linda Cardellini's brother back in high school. She's a lot younger than I am and I didn't meet her.

by Anonymousreply 5507/22/2012

[quote]He was a tall gymnast (his specialty was the pommel horse), and so he had a great body.

He can pommel my horse any time.

Hubba hubba

by Anonymousreply 5607/22/2012

Not a big name at all, but Amanda Detmer was a couple of years older than me in high school. She was in Saving Silverman, The Magestic, some tv shows and other movies. She was super popular and a cheerleader student government type. Seemed to have a charmed life in my awkward eyes. A few years after high school before she left Chico to pursue acting in NY, I swear she cruised me at the all women's gym. I ignored her cuz I was still holding a grudge from high school that she never would have spoke to me then. She has always been very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 5707/22/2012

Kathleen Turner and John Goodman at Southwest Mo. State now Missouri State University. Kathleen was a bitch back then although a pretty bitch. Goodman was a regular guy-- started school on a football scholarship amd more or less fell into acting. The university Tent Theatre summer stock theatre held their 50th anniversary last weekend and John came for that. Tess Harper was another student. She is best known for the film TENDER MERCIES and lots of TV roles.

by Anonymousreply 5907/22/2012

I have so many:

Chris O'Donnell Joan Cusack John Cusack Bill Murray Bold Dold (US Representative from IL) Peter Sarsgaard Jonah Hill

by Anonymousreply 6007/22/2012

So was John Goodman known to be gay back then, R59?

Love Tess Harper. She recently turned up on Revenge as Carole Miller, Conrad Greyson's former secretary and Nolan's "aunt". Hope we get to see more of her next season.

by Anonymousreply 6107/22/2012

Dara Torres - went to junior & high school with her.  Gregarious, fun to be around, great all-around athlete (played varsity volleyball, basketball, too).    Not academically inclined.  She was suspended for three weeks senior year (after winning her first gold in '84 Olympics) due to her involvement in a cheating scandal.  It kept her out of Stanford which had recruited her aggressively (#1 swim program at time) - they dropped her like a hot potato when they learned of the cheating, and she ended up going to U of Florida.

Jessica Capshaw - I was an assistant coach for her 7th/8th grade softball team.  I remember her being a very sweet, friendly girl, who was well-liked by everyone.

Rob Bourdon, drummer Linkin Park.  I was an acquaintance of his mother.  First met him when he was about 15, gave him his first job at 16.  Nice kid, but almost painfully shy and quiet back then.

by Anonymousreply 6307/22/2012

No R61- In fact, he broke up a marriage. He was involved with a female actress who left her husband. Although as soon as John graduated, he was off to New York and was solo. I never got a gay vibe from him. The first time I ever heard about this was here on DL-- I asked a mutiral friend who worked closely with John in the theater dept back then. He told me he wasn't aware of any gay rumors back then. Thought of two others from that college theater dept. Jack Laufer who works on television and is a recurring actor on MAD MEN and Gracie Harrison who was on one of the Star Trek franchise shows. Sorry, don't know which one. Gracie eventually got out of the business. Married well and living in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 6407/22/2012

R61- Forgot to add -- Tess Harper was a sweetheart. Everyone loved her. Never understood why but there was some friction between Tessie and Betty Buckley on the TENDER MERCIES shoot. Everyone got along with Tessie. A mystery why Buckley didn't like her. I did see Tessie on REVENGE this past season.

by Anonymousreply 6507/22/2012

Just checked. Gracie Harrison was also on a series DEAR JOHN. The STAR TREK series she was on was ENTERPRISE.

by Anonymousreply 6607/22/2012

Sorry- Gracie was on NEXT GENERATION. I never got in or watched STAR TREK.

by Anonymousreply 6707/22/2012

I knew Mike Mills of REM. I went to college with him.

by Anonymousreply 6807/22/2012

Gracie Harrison had gay rumors???

by Anonymousreply 6907/22/2012

R22, would you please tell us more about Mapplethorpe. In what way was he a jerk? And anything else. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7007/22/2012

No R69

by Anonymousreply 7107/22/2012

Lexi (Alexis) Bellino. Used to come into my day spa just after she married Jim.

She IS rude, very short with anyone she feels is 'below' her. Demanding and snitty, LOTS of eyeball rolling. Constantly late for appointments.. Was only kind to her hairdresser, and was even rude to me, until she learned that I wasn't some lowly nail tech or makeup artist, but the owner of the spa.

She has had a lot of work done.

by Anonymousreply 7207/22/2012

Excuse me, but who is Lexi Bellino?

by Anonymousreply 7307/22/2012

Ty Herndon.Absolutely gorgeous....looked like a male model in person.

by Anonymousreply 7407/22/2012

"Full of himself" doesn't begin to describe him, R70. As a student, Mappelthorpe's greatest talent was self-promotion. During class critiques, he was petty and hypersensitive about even the smallest criticism of his own work, but his taste and aptitude for the jugular were always at the ready when it came to others'. He was acid-tongued and ruthless with other students he perceived as weak or a threat. Like many ROTC members, he was nasty to gay fellow students in public, but a whore with the same guys in private. He gave lousy head, by the way, and had horrific body odor.

by Anonymousreply 7507/22/2012

Several years ago I was acquainted (platonically) with Andrew Rannells from 'Book of Mormon' and soon to be starring in his own sitcom. Super-nice guy and very funny. We lost touch after I moved out of NY but we hung out together a number of times and was was just a great guy.

by Anonymousreply 7607/22/2012

[quote] Never understood why but there was some friction between Tessie and Betty Buckley on the TENDER MERCIES shoot. Everyone got along with Tessie. A mystery why Buckley didn't like her.

Has Buckley EVER gotten along with her costars?

by Anonymousreply 7707/22/2012

actor Mark Feuerstein: short but with a great body, very handsome, incredibly smug

culture writer and sexual politics pundit Katie Roiphe: an incredible bitch, very mean and hostile to just about everyone. Always acted like she was much cooler than everyone else. She used to wear gigantic black floppy hats every single day--no one knew why.

New Yorker classical music critic Alex Ross: one of the smartest and sweetest men I've ever met in my life. Beloved by just about everyone he meets. Knows how smart he is, but doesn't have a swelled head about it.

by Anonymousreply 7807/22/2012

R14, what were the Roiphes like? Did you ever meet the oldest (crazy) sister?

by Anonymousreply 7907/22/2012

No, R23, this thread is absolutely useless without detail!

OBVIOUSLY, all famous people grew up with/went to school with lots of people-- anonymous posters simply listing the names of the famous people is completely uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 8007/22/2012

Gerri Willis. She's on Fox now as a business reporter, I think. We were on student council together in high school. Nice girl, but very nerdy looking. Barely recognize her now.

by Anonymousreply 8107/22/2012

Elias Koteas in Montreal in the mid 80s.

by Anonymousreply 8207/22/2012

Isaac Mizrahi - Funny, sweet personality, unpretentious

Cameron Manheim- Bossy but fun. Not a lesbian. Generous to people in need before and after fame.

Felicity Huffman - Nerdy, self-critical.

Wish I had dirt, but they were all really good people.

by Anonymousreply 8307/22/2012

Tim McGraw, before the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 8407/22/2012

Diane Ross. Horrible bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8507/22/2012

Knew Mickey Rooney and Phyliss Diller when I was in my teens. NIce people.

by Anonymousreply 8607/22/2012

I knew Charlie Chaplin slightly.

by Anonymousreply 8707/22/2012

Will Geer was a childhood friend.

by Anonymousreply 8807/22/2012

I knew Amelia Earhardt.

by Anonymousreply 8907/22/2012

r78, did you meet Ross' husband, or was he not with him?

by Anonymousreply 9007/22/2012

Jim Gaffigan. His midwest Indina corn act is bullshit. He grew up rich, boarding school, closed community, summers in europe. And he is super cheap.

by Anonymousreply 9107/22/2012

Judith Shea...artist...only she was Judy then.

by Anonymousreply 9207/22/2012

I went to college with the late producer Alan Carr (Grease, Can't Stop the Music, La Cage Aux Folles, etc.). I didn't like him very much. Very theatrical, even in inappropriate contexts, and smug. No one was surprised at his success -- he was very driven, and had that ingratiating, superficial charm that you knew covered an intense ruthlessness.

by Anonymousreply 9307/22/2012

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck. Both genuinely nice people, though very driven (of course). Jen Garner's sister lives in my town (Newton) and is very nice as well, with down to earth parents.

by Anonymousreply 9407/22/2012

Kelly Preston (Palzis)....major pothead, sweet, not that smart.

by Anonymousreply 9507/22/2012

The late Ken Ober (from MTV fame) was an intern at my high school in Western Mass. in the late 70s.

I took a film class from director Brad Anderson at the Cambridge Centet for Adult Ed. back in the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 9607/22/2012

[quote]Kelly Preston (Palzis)....major pothead, sweet, not that smart.

So, you knew her before she moved to Hollywood, when she was still in Hawaii? Or did you know here in her early H'wood days?

by Anonymousreply 9707/22/2012

R75, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 9807/22/2012

Kathleen Turner and Tess Harper remain good friends to this day, actually.

by Anonymousreply 9907/22/2012

Kathy Griffin, when I was in high school

by Anonymousreply 10007/22/2012

[quote]Bold Dold (US Representative from IL)

I so hope that this isn't a typo, & that there really is someone (male or female) with this name.

by Anonymousreply 10107/22/2012

R84. Describe Tim McGraw pre-surgery

by Anonymousreply 10207/22/2012

I agree with the other posters that we need comments and details, not just names. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10307/22/2012

R94, did anyone make comments about the famous Damon Butt, either Matt himself or others, and what were the comments? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 10407/22/2012

R100, were their rumours about her brother, the "creepy" one?

by Anonymousreply 10507/22/2012

Details, OP! Was he hot then? Did you share a shower?

by Anonymousreply 10607/22/2012

[quote]She was suspended for three weeks senior year (after winning her first gold in '84 Olympics) due to her involvement in a cheating scandal. It kept her out of Stanford which had recruited her aggressively (#1 swim program at time) - they dropped her like a hot potato when they learned of the cheating, and she ended up going to U of Florida.

By cheating, do you mean she was doping? Or some kind of affair?

by Anonymousreply 10707/22/2012

Went to high school with Allison Waggoner from Shop NBC. She was pretty back then but wasn't especially popular, and actually seemed dour and reserved most of the time (in stark contrast to her bubbly on-air persona). Maybe because she lived in the shadow of her older, blonder sister, who in college became Miss Massachusetts and placed in the top 10 at Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 10807/22/2012

A few posters went to high school with Kathy Griffin? Small world!

by Anonymousreply 10907/23/2012

Mrs PC went to the same high school but not when KG was there. And I met her in high school but I didn't go to her high school.

by Anonymousreply 11007/23/2012

[quote]BEFORE they were famous

It is still before most of these people were famous.

by Anonymousreply 11107/23/2012

This is lame as it's not a direct contact, but my best friend growing up, whom I'm still friends with today, grew up in the same church as Jensen Ackles and has known him since he was very young in Richardson, TX. She told me he was so extremely shy that it was a long-standing rumor in their church that there might be something wrong with him. She's a couple of years younger than he is and he apparently bailed to Hollywood the instant he graduated high school, so they lost touch. She was shocked to see that kid on TV a couple of years later. She said he was always beautiful, even as a child.

His parents, and her parents, are Fundamentalist Baptists, dominionist extremist far-right freaks. But she's nothing like that, so I guess it's possible he's not, either.

by Anonymousreply 11207/23/2012

Was Jim Gaffigan a nice guy, R91? Or an entitled jerk? Was he going bald when you knew him? Looking at YouTube clips it's apparent he got a hairpiece/hair transplants at some point.

by Anonymousreply 11307/23/2012

High school with Steve Guttenberg. Nice enough guy back then. Great body!

by Anonymousreply 11407/23/2012

My freak and asshole of an ex-stepfather was friends with Diane Dimond. I stayed over her house one time for a small slumber party her daughter Jenna was having, and had been there once or twice besides then. Her daughter stayed with us one night. Jenna was a bit obnoxious then, but maybe she grew out of it. I remember my mother was afraid I was going to hit her.

by Anonymousreply 11607/23/2012

[quote]Bold Dold (US Representative from IL)

It must be a typo. He's Robert (Bob) Dold.

by Anonymousreply 11707/23/2012

R6, Amy is very much a dramatic theater geek. She started the theater and still retains that dramatic persona.

She is also nothing like the sweet image that she portrays in many of her characters (least of all Enchanted). Not that she's a bitch exactly, but she definitely can be one.

She's got a pretty healthy ego, works all the time, and doesn't have a lot of time for anything else. Particularly now that she has a baby (which is pretty normal for anyone).

Dunno. She's not my favorite person to hang around with, but I've known her for a long time and our paths do cross. We're pretty friendly when together but do not talk in between. years can go by. We have mutual friends and that's how we occasionally see each other. we're not friends with each other.

I manage to get along with her pretty well, but she has definitely pulled attitude on me and others, but her diva-ness is what makes her successful.

Note: these are all observations from the "real world". I do not know how she acts among her Hollywood peers or on movie sets. I have no idea about that.

by Anonymousreply 11907/23/2012

Mrs PC lived in River Forest, not Oak Park. Her family was wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 12007/23/2012

I knew Doris Day BEFORE she was a virgin.

by Anonymousreply 12107/23/2012

Jorja Fox of CSI fame. Completely out in NYC circa 1994.

by Anonymousreply 12207/23/2012

Not sure if this counts but a very good friend of mine grew up doing shows with Lady Gaga. His description was pretty standard odd, off-beat theatre nerd.

by Anonymousreply 12307/23/2012

R113, let's just say he was the nicest out of a family of entitled a-holes who look down on everyone. Always had thin hair and bad irish complexion.

by Anonymousreply 12407/23/2012

Tom Cruise lived in my development in the 60s. It was in Liverpool, NY - a middle-class suburb of Syracuse. We were same age but not in same classroom at school. Hung around him with a group in the neighborhood, but not a real close friend. He was just another normal guy. Then they moved Funny, one of the first times I saw Tom Cruise in a movie, I later told my brother: "He looks a lot like Tommy Mapother." My brother told me I was crazy. Then when he became more famous, his real name became known and I was right about him. Sorry, I really don't have a lot to say about him - just a regular kid and not very memorable.

by Anonymousreply 12507/23/2012

Thanks for responding, R91/R124.

R123, I've heard that Lady Gaga (another celeb who grew up wealthy) lies about her age, she's actually around 30, did your friend mention anything about her age? If it matters, I heard this from my cousin, who is friends with one of her 'people.'

by Anonymousreply 12607/23/2012

I knew Yo Yo Ma in college. A bunch of us took him to the 1270 in Boston and taught him how to dance The Hustle.

by Anonymousreply 12707/23/2012

R52, I always thought she looked much older than her earlier 30s in The Grifters.

by Anonymousreply 12807/23/2012

[quote]Jim Gaffigan. His midwest Indina corn act is bullshit.

That's why it's called an ACT.

He's a super nice guy. He was then, and he is now. I wouldn't call him cheap at all. Let me guess, you are a waiter, gave him shitty service, and he didn't tip you generously?

by Anonymousreply 12907/23/2012

R33- I knew Kristin Chenoweth before she was famous. I did a show with her and understudied the character that played opposite her. When I went on, I called my Dad beforehand and said "I'm about to play opposite a girl who is going to become a big star." I was very excited.

Gavin Creel and I were in the chorus of a show together. Christian Borle and I were in the chorus of a show too. Both were nice people and good to work with.

by Anonymousreply 13007/23/2012

Both of these are poor excuses for famous people, but I dated Eden Espinoza when I was like 14 (I'm male). She had an amazing voice (and a huge diva attitude) then and no one was even mildly surprised when she made it on Broadway. I also worked with Max Adler from Glee.

It's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 13107/23/2012

Ernest Hemingway was an OPRF grad, too.

Scott Adsit ("Pete" the producer from "30 Rock") was a year ahead of me in high school. Unsurprisingly, he was very much into school plays and performed with the school's improv troupe, "The Immediate Conception." I said hi to him years later after one of his performances at The Second City, saying I remembered him from high school. He was very friendly and gracious.

by Anonymousreply 13207/23/2012

R19, he was also on a tv show called "Terriers", which only landed a year, but was the lead in a film called The Tao of Steve.

Tell us an anecdote or two about him.

by Anonymousreply 13307/23/2012

Knew Aaron Sorkin in high school (Scarsdale NY). Very clever guy, quick wit, bad case of acne. You kind of knew he'd either make a big name for himself or go absolutely nowhere, nothing in between. And there you go.

by Anonymousreply 13407/23/2012

r40, You're So Vain!

by Anonymousreply 13507/23/2012

r72, You mirror what all the other OC Housewives have said...

by Anonymousreply 13607/23/2012

I was Facebook friends with someone who was the cousin of a friend of Screech from Saved by the Bell.

by Anonymousreply 13707/23/2012

R118, Mandy Patinkin attended high school in Chicago (Kenwood high school). He lived in my dorm at the University of Kansas. He was a big deal because his 7-up commercial had come out. I didn't know him but he had a bit of an entourage back then.

by Anonymousreply 13807/23/2012

Embarrassed to say I went to college with Bush's second evil Attorney General, Michael Mukasey.

Seemed nice then...

by Anonymousreply 13907/23/2012

Before we both went natural, WNBA and Olympic megastar Seimone Augustus and I had the same hairdresser. She was a painfully quiet middle-schooler, and we both seemed to have the same hair care schedule for years, until she graduated from high school and went on to LSU and superstardom.

Very nice, funny, polite kid, but OMG the ridiculous hairstyle her mom made her get for prom was just sad. Even the hairdresser told me later it was obvious the mom was trying to force an obvious baby dyke into Blair Warner with kissy-curls ( the three black women on DL will know what those are).

As I've mentioned before, I went to high school with Don Lemon (he was Lemons then). His first cousin and I were best friends, and Don was a year or two behind us.

by Anonymousreply 14007/23/2012

"Describe Tim McGraw pre-surgery"

Nothing special. I was his pre-op nurse before his bunion surgery. I guess you can google what a pre- and post-op bunion looks like.

by Anonymousreply 14107/23/2012

OP here. I went to an arts summer camp in suburban Boston in the mid-90s. Chris was a nice kid but quiet. His sister, whose name escapes me, was definitely the more outgoing and flashy of the two. I think his dad was a dentist or something. They lived in Sudbury, a nice town outside Boston. Fun fact: My camp was on the campus where they filmed "School Ties" with Brendon Fraser. I was an extra!!

by Anonymousreply 14207/23/2012

R107, It was an *academic* cheating scandal, not doping. She got copies of some midterm exams from friends that had bribed the nighttime cleaning crew to let them into teachers' offices.

by Anonymousreply 14307/23/2012

I met Danny Pino once

by Anonymousreply 14407/24/2012

I knew the George W. Bush family when they lived in Dallas. He was a little famous because Daddy was president at the time, but he still hadn't run for Governor yet.

I liked them all.

by Anonymousreply 14507/24/2012

Anybody know or meet Kurt Cobain? Or St. Vincent(Annie Clark)?

by Anonymousreply 14607/24/2012

He was always vogueing in the gym mirror.

by Anonymousreply 14707/24/2012

Bebe Neuwirth- frigid, aloof, hard to work with. Some people never change.

by Anonymousreply 14807/24/2012

[quote] A mystery why Buckley didn't like her.

Betty is bat shit crazy.

I went to drama school with Illeana Douglass (Hesselberg at the time), and Elias Koteas. I knew her better, we did a play together. She was talented, outgoing, a bit troubled yet very funny. Elias Koteas was the star of the class from week one and certainly earned it. He was fascinating even at twenty years old!

by Anonymousreply 14907/24/2012

Elias Koteas info pls!!

by Anonymousreply 15107/25/2012

Please ban R145.

by Anonymousreply 15207/25/2012

R126, Lady Gaga went to high school with a couple of my friends. They are the same age. Her age is pretty much a matter of record.

by Anonymousreply 15307/25/2012

I have spoken on here before that I attended a backyard BBQ in early 1991 that Nirvana played at. I was 13. Kurt Cobain was shy, nervous, and really, really sweet. And tiny. That said, I wouldn't say I knew him, just that I met him a few months before he became a legend.

by Anonymousreply 15407/25/2012

Also, I didn't know Lady Gaga, but I saw her play the Krave in Vegas before her album came out. It did not feel like a star was among us. It was the classic gay club "Let's stop the fun so we can watch a show no one asked for." She got on stage and did some songs. It was no better than any random performer I've seen perform at a gay club. She fell on her ass at some point. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 15507/25/2012

[quote]She got on stage and did some songs. It was no better than any random performer I've seen perform at a gay club.

Nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 15607/25/2012

[quote]It was the classic gay club "Let's stop the fun so we can watch a show no one asked for."

by Anonymousreply 15707/26/2012

I was an apprentice with Jennifer Jason Leigh and John Stockwell at the Williamstown Theatre Festival in 1979.

Jennifer was a lazy sullen bitch who never wanted to help out on set and costume crews and always wandered off on her own.

John was then John Samuels. He was obviously from a very wealthy and entitled family. He was supermodel preppy handsome even then and vain enough to know it and flaunt it. Very confident young man....I'm surprised his career didn't go further.

by Anonymousreply 15807/26/2012

When I was in my late teens I experimented with drugs and alcohol. My parents freaks out, so I had to go to NA/AA meetings--which is where I met Carrie Hamilton. I lived in San Diego at the time, and she and I (along with a usual gang of people) would go to coffee after meetings.

I don't know why she was in San Diego at the time, but we went to meetings in the same area, which were in the Pacific Beach, La Jolla, and Del Mar areas.

She and I were never close friends. She never talked about her mother (Carol Burnett), and I don't recall if she ever "shared" in one of the meetings. I do remember her as being very upbeat and funny.

After a time, I stopped going to those meetings, so I lost touch with her. I've been a very light drinker since then, and I never take drugs. I never watched any of the TV shows she was on, but years later when I heard she starred in Rent I was happy for her. She was very much loved in the performing arts world, and her death was very sad.

by Anonymousreply 15907/26/2012

[quote]John was then John Samuels. He was obviously from a very wealthy and entitled family. He was supermodel preppy handsome even then and vain enough to know it and flaunt it. Very confident young man....I'm surprised his career didn't go further.

Funny you bring him up. I created a thread about this hunk several months back.

Here's the link...

by Anonymousreply 16007/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 16107/28/2012

Alanis Morisette was a few years ahead of me in high school. She already had some local fame and hung out with the big haired, designer-dressed, popular girls. They played her version of "O Canada" on our school p.a. system every morning.

by Anonymousreply 16207/28/2012

R74-tell more about Ty Herdon

by Anonymousreply 16307/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 16408/13/2012

interesting thread!

by Anonymousreply 16509/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 16610/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 16710/14/2012

[quote]I went to drama school with Illeana Douglass (Hesselberg at the time)

How old is Illeana Douglass?

by Anonymousreply 16810/14/2012

Went to school with Rachel McAdams. UofT

by Anonymousreply 16903/18/2013

A couple people, both from my hometown - both have integrity, and made it big without crookedness or sleeping their way to the top.

by Anonymousreply 17006/09/2013

R19, he was in a show called Terriers that was under-advertised and cancelled after one season. I liked it after finding it by accident about a third of the way through the first season. He was also in a film called The Tao of Steve, which I liked better than I expected to. Seems like a very nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 17106/09/2013

My parents were friends with Joan Allen's parents, in a small town in Illinois, right down the road from where Cindy Crawford grew up, over a decade later. Joannie, as she was known then, was a few years younger than I was. She was tall, very thin and active, with blonde hair in corkscrew curls when she was in grade school. Nice kid. Her mom was always full of herself, though. Big ego.

by Anonymousreply 17206/09/2013

Since it's confirmed our gov't watches everything, I'll allude. This is about a particular head of state and his wife (they have a son who held the same position later and now fancies himself a painter).

They had their own legal library in a big belt buckle state. A friend was a lawyer working for them. Turns out, the husband was actually quite civil and kind ongoing, and the plump wife, who was always portrayed as so nice in the media, was a raging bitch. Yelling, screaming, flying off the handle, extremely abusive to employees and assistants. Everyone walked around on eggshells around there, and she frequently made competent professionals cry. The husband's worst offense (from my friend's POV) was that at a party, he went up to her husband (who worked for Securing Homes and Land and looks like he's in a higher social bracket) to ask about his connection. He explained his wife was a lawyer for the library, and state head said "Ohhh, one of the worker bees" (which felt a little condescending to her).

by Anonymousreply 17306/09/2013

Oh honey, we've called Barbara Bush lots worse things than "raging bitch" on DL and I don't think anyone here has been hauled off to Guantanamo.

by Anonymousreply 17406/09/2013

I agree with a previous poster--Andrew Rannells is a sweetheart. He was a neighbor of mine for a while, tall (at least 6'4),gorgeous and funny as hell. Also, an incredibly nice guy. Actually volunteered to look after my cat and collect my mail while I was on vacation. I had no idea he was a major Broadway performer, he never mentioned it. It wasn't until I saw him on "Girls" that he was an actor.

I met Ethan Hawke when he was just starting out. He was acting in a play in a tiny theater on 9th Ave. with a friend of mine. His parents were there, hugging him and saying how proud they were, while he hung his head and looked embarrassed. He was so young, cute and fresh-faced, it's weird how badly he's aged. Makes me feel so old.

I "met" Courtney Love at a radio station party in Seattle. Without provocation, she charged at me brandishing a beer bottle and threatening to break it over my head. I asked her why and she screamed, "I HATE YOUR FACE!" I thought it was an act to show how punk she was, rolled my eyes and walked away. I now think I made a very lucky escape.

by Anonymousreply 17506/09/2013

Michael cera. Complete douche bag in real life Dumped a girl in my camp because she wouldn't have sex with him.

I also know Dallas green. Him and I used to jam when we lived next to each other. Swell person with a great heart

by Anonymousreply 17606/12/2013

Sigourney Weaver is our next door neighbor at my parents' summer cabin in the Adirondacks. She's very nice, chats with them in the driveways or across the fence between the yards, shares vegetables from the summer garden, etc. just like a regular person.

Candace Bergen has a summer place on the same lake, and is supposedly a total bitch. I've only seen her once, but the people who live there year round say that she's very snooty and has actually told people not to approach or talk to her.

by Anonymousreply 17706/12/2013

I went to jr high with Constance Zimmer, she's been on entourage and that new Kevin Spacey show....very sweet girl

by Anonymousreply 17806/12/2013

I graduated high school with Tom in 1995. We went to Okemos High School which is a suburb of Lansing,Michigan just east of East Lansing actually. Like Tom I, was a jock too but he played soccer and I was on the swim team. Hands down, Tom has to be one of the nicest, straight forward, sincere guys I have ever met. To date I have never seen a guy who could command peoples attention like Tom. A bunch of us went to the mall or other public place including Tom lots of times. He would walk in and I used to watch peoples reactions. Men and women both couldn't take their eyes off if him. Tom had the most amazing perfect smile and incredible eyes. Not to mention it was summer and we were all in shorts and tight shirts that show off our abs and stuff. Tom I guess knew he was amazing looking but he was never a dick about it. We talked about his looks once and he said was happy he was born handsome but could could care less really. He was more proud of who he was and not his looks which was very cool. He saw people staring at him and just smiled and said hello! And he was just a guy from high school then. But even now, I would bet Tom treats people the same. When we had big games in the gym and every seat in the place was taken with students and parents, just before the game started 6'3 stunning Tom would walk in and again, I would watch the crowd as he came over. All looking at him as he found a seat with our group. It was amazing to watch! I am 6'2 and was in equal shape as Tom and not at all bad looking, but me and some of my buds talked about it and when we were with Tom it was like we weren't even there when strangers were around us. Just Tom!! LOL And to stop the bullshit. I am gay and was totally in the closet then. Tom and I were friends and I spent enough time around Tom and did lots together to know he was a major pussy hound and never showed any signs of liking guys. BUT he was also very cool with openly gay guys that talked to him or hit on him and I never heard him say anything bad about gays. He also treated girls with respect too. I would have given everything to have been with him in bed just once but I doubt he has ever been with a guy. Hopefully he didn't have to do the casting couch thing and be gay for a job! So sorry guys, big Tom is on the other team!! I saw him just after the first year of Smallville aired and he was still the same sweet down to earth guy. But even hotter as he was in his early 20's and had a perfect man body now. We still talk once and a while!

by Anonymousreply 17906/12/2013

RE:Post [179]

Not sure why I listed his name in the title but it didn't show up. Of course I am talking about Tom Welling

by Anonymousreply 18006/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 18106/27/2013

Kristin Davis. Cute, not brilliant, self-obsessed. Hence the acting career.

by Anonymousreply 18206/27/2013

Sean Hayes. Knew him from his time at his alma mater. He was not acting when he did Will and Grace (DUH!). IRL -- stuck-up, arrogant, snooty, self-centered, not terribly bright, mean as a snake, had trouble functioning without an audience/entourage... but obvious that he'd make it big. The first time I was introduced to him was around the time he was trying to get everyone to call him "SEE-in" rather than "Shawn." My friend introduced him as "Shawn," but Miss Hayes quickly spat out "SEE-in. My name is SEE-in." So I said, "Hi, I'm Bonnie." Miss Hayes said, "OH, how nice for you," and before I could stop myself, I said, "Well, I guess I won't be 'SEE-in' you later." His entire entourage laughed at him. The only other time he spoke to me (instead of glaring at me loathingly) was to (literally) throw some music at me and say, "I need an accompanist at 3, and {piano prof} said you'd do it." My reply: "No, I still won't be 'SEE-in' ya later." I left his music on the floor where it landed, too. Oh, and whenever Miss Hayes brags about her 'music degree,' someone should remind her that she failed music theory. But on a positive note -- I met Ann Rule once on a commuter flight between Portland (OR) and Seattle. Super nice, upbeat (considering what she writes about), friendly, entertaining.... everyone asked her about Ted Bundy, but I got in a question about someone else she'd written about, and she seemed very eager to not talk about Bundy.

by Anonymousreply 18306/27/2013

I have relatives who went school with Brett Claywell who was one half Kish

by Anonymousreply 18407/07/2014

Brendan Fraser when he was a box office assistant at Intiman Theater in Seattle before he went to LA. Sweet and goofy.

Andre Brauger was in my class at Stanford - dated a good friend of mine. Very reserved.

Lisa Darr (when she was Lisa Grabemann) was in my dorm. Very JAP.

Bill Gates lived down the street when we were kids. He was five years older but his younger sister was a playmate of mine.

Did local theater with the Wendy's Girl (Morgan Smith Goodwin) and Jordan Fisher from one of those Disney shows before they went on to fame and fortune.

by Anonymousreply 18507/07/2014

I lived in the same NYU dorm with Bill Wilhelm whom you all know as Mayor Bill deBlasio. Super nice guy. Had kind of a hippie radical vibe to him but very earnest. It still makes me chuckle that the guy I used to refer to in my head as Shaggy of Scooby Doo is now Mayor of NYC!

Also vaguely knew Rick Rubin. Found him interesting but spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 18607/07/2014

Interesting, R91. I was just watching Gaffigan's special from a couple of years ago and noticed his act seemed almost entirely ripped off from Brian Regan's 2007 special. You could tell laughter was dubbed in. It just didn't seem sincere in any way.

He's also Catholic and seemingly devout, and sometimes that comes through on his Twitter in really cranky holier-than-thou ways, often enough that I unfollowed.

by Anonymousreply 18707/07/2014

The NPR radio reporter, Eric Weusterberg. His older sister, Kim, played clarinet in the band with me. She was cool until she went to Wheaton College.

by Anonymousreply 18807/07/2014

Michael Showalter of "Wet, Hot American Summer" and "The State." Very funny, very polite, very likable, very heterosexual. Much handsomer in real life than in the movies. His parents are famous literature professors (they're very nice), and his sister used to be Clinton's head speech writer (she's a bitch). Everyone expected him to become more famous than he ultimately did.

by Anonymousreply 18907/07/2014

I've never met anyone who later became famous or even achieved some recognition. But when I was in 7th grade (1992-1993) I learned that my science teacher had been good friends with Geena Davis growing up. I had gotten friendly with my teacher, Mrs. Robbins, and I was telling her one day after school (I'd stayed to help her clean up) that my new favorite actress was Geena Davis and that I'd just seen A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, THELMA & LOUISE, HERO, and THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST in quick succession. That's when she told me about their childhood growing up on Cape Cod or thereabouts. She eventually brought in old Polaroids and signed yearbooks and letters. They had stayed in touch but only communicated a couple times a year. Needless to say, I was excited to actually know and be friendly with someone who had been very close with my favorite actress.

by Anonymousreply 19007/07/2014

[quote]John (Stockwell) was then John Samuels. He was obviously from a very wealthy and entitled family. He was supermodel preppy handsome even then and vain enough to know it and flaunt it. Very confident young man....I'm surprised his career didn't go further.

He had a main role on DL favorite, North and South, before being replaced with Parker Stevenson.

by Anonymousreply 19107/07/2014

Quentin Tarantino Tom Maypother (Cruise)

by Anonymousreply 19207/07/2014

I knew Bryan Cranston when he was starting out in community theater in Florida. His bio information always gives the impression that he's totally Californian. Maybe it's to cover up the fact that his mother owned a gin joint in a Florida backwater town. Bryan and his brother lived with her for awhile and were part of a musical theater group.

by Anonymousreply 19307/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!