Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Madonna - Holiday

I'm not a big fan of Madonna, but she was really cute here.

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013

Yes, she was. Another clip

by Anonymousreply 107/18/2012

You're asking for trouble, OP.

by Anonymousreply 207/18/2012

Holiday was the song which made Madonna famous.

(Thank songwriter Shep Pettibone)

by Anonymousreply 307/18/2012

Yes she was and that was her bro Chris pitting out in the back. The black girl was a the woman who made her bracelets. Ahh youth.

by Anonymousreply 407/18/2012

She fucked her way up the ladder, sleeping with all the right people. She dated the blond singer from the group The Breakfast Club, insinuating herself into the group. And basically her early music is a carbon copy of them.

by Anonymousreply 507/18/2012

She looks so grim and determined. The song is all about having a good time but she doesn't communicate that in the vid.

by Anonymousreply 607/18/2012

[quote]She fucked her way up the ladder, sleeping with all the right people.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 707/18/2012

[quote]She fucked her way up the ladder, sleeping with all the right people.[/quote]

She learned from me honey!

by Anonymousreply 807/18/2012

I always loved this one.

by Anonymousreply 907/18/2012

Grim and determined is exactly what I think about when I hear the joyous song Holiday. Finally by CeCe Peniston reminds me of death and loss too.

by Anonymousreply 1007/18/2012

I liked her up through Vogue. After that, I thought her music went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 1107/18/2012

That was made when she had no hits on the chart yet, and had only a few grand as her video budget. Cute to see.

Lucky Star came soon after and that was the video that really started Madonna as an MTV icon.

by Anonymousreply 1207/18/2012

Dear departed Travis knew she would be a huge star when her first album came out.

I could not tell her apart from Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 1307/18/2012

Cyndi has so much more talent than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 1407/18/2012

She got so lucky that many other established artists at the time turned this song down. It was passed on to her because no one wanted it. Just like Shitney Spears was lucky TLC passed on "Baby 1 More time". "Holiday" was what put Madonna in the hot 100 as a moderate hit.

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2012

Wasn't it Like a Virgin that established Madonna as a star?

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2012

Like A Virgin was such a conservative, apologetic song; Holiday was like some shitty song from 'Kids From Fame'.

by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2012

HOLIDAY was written for Stephanie Mills to sing. She turned it down.

I believe Grace Jones might have been offered the song too.

by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2012

[quote] HOLIDAY was written for Stephanie Mills to sing. She turned it down.

I wonder why. I guess vocally it's not really a challenging song that a powerhouse vocalist like Mills could sink her teeth into.

Then again if Whitney Houston could turn a simple song like "How Will I Know" into a joyous anthem I'm sure Mills could've done the same with "Holiday."

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2012

No, she was dating the black drummer, Stephen Bray, from this video.

by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2012

Shep Pettibone did not write Holiday. Some people just make up anything.

R11, her music did turn to shit after Vogue for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2012

I lost interest around the time she went all Electronica. There was no more soul to her music that made those hits in the 80s and early 90s timeless with mass appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2012

Zap r15 with troll-dar and you'll see he bumped up many Madonna threads today. They're all over the first and second page. What's his damage? A bit obsessed with someone he clearly hates, n'est ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2012

Damn, I feel like I was in "Reservoir Dogs"

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

[quote]She looks so grim and determined. The song is all about having a good time but she doesn't communicate that in the vid.

That's because she's BORDERLINE!

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

r5 Just saw Angelyne and her pink Corvette (not a euphemism) at the Coffee Bean on Hillhurst and Los Feliz blvd yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

Holiday was a top 20 hit, r15. That's far more than a 'moderate hit'.

r16: Holiday turned Madonna into a well-known pop singer, Lucky Star made her famous on MTV, and Like a Virgin catapulted her into the stratosphere.

That's your Madonna trajectory, in a nutshell.

Holiday had a long afterlife, becoming even more popular when Madonna entered mega stardom - it was selected for Live Aid, and included on TIC (trumping higher chart entries such as Who's That Girl and True Blue).

In the UK, the single was re-issued twice, to captialize on Madonnamania: re-entering the chart at # 2 in 1985 (held off the top spot by her own Into the Groove), and at # 5 in 1991.

Holiday is arguably as iconic as Like a Virgin, MG, and Vogue.

As for Cyndi, I love her; she had a powerful and unique voice, plus an interesting visual presence. But she actually wrote few of her songs herself. I always thought Madonna was far more talented than Cyndi - as a songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

Former Supreme Mary Wilson also claims to have passed on Holiday before Madonna recorded it. Holiday was written and produced by Jellybean Benitez.

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

She was cute and a little chubby back then.

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2013

Did Madge have a falling out with her old collaborators Stephen Bray and Jellybean? Didn't Regina offer "Baby Love" to her and she turned it down?

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

Holiday was *not* written by Jellybean, r28. Nor by Shep Pettibone.

Get your Madonna factoids right, please.

The writers are called Curtis Hudson and Lisa Stevens, and they must be very rich indeed due to this one song.

Jellybean never wrote any interesting songs. He produced a couple of tracks for Madonna, but that's it.

He was a one-trick pony, and it's a good thing she moved on from him.

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

r30, as far as I know she never had a falling out with Jellybean.

She's ended things acrimoniously with Bray, though. Or vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

I never did like this song. It was always just so plain sounding and her voice is annoying in it.

R32 I think if she ever wants success again, she needs to make up with S. Bray and P. Leonard and work with them again because they gave her her best songs.

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2013

I wish she'd return to her "pitched up" vocal sound where they slow down the track about 3 percent and have her record the vocals, and then they speed the whole thing up. Her sales are always higher for songs where she uses her distinctive Madonna "studio voice."

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2013

Her singing and dancing are both, at best, mediocre. And she's nothing much to look at, either.

It truly is amazing that she became a big star, considering what little talent and looks she had. But she did what she had to do; slept with the right people, sucked up to the right people, did anything and everything, no matter how outrageous or disgusting, to shock people and be "controversial." Well, that's one way to keep people interested. Some people, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.