Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So I'm rewatching The X Files streaming

I like the episodes about telepathic killers, gargoyles, etc. a lot more than the alien story line. One thing I'd forgotten is how much time they spend staggering around in the dark with only flashlights. Does nobody in tv land have light switches or electricity that cannot stay on during a thunderstorm?

by Anonymousreply 15511/05/2013

The X-Files...God, it seems like that show was on a hundred years ago. I liked the "monster" episodes better than all that alien stuff, too. Remember the creature who was kind of a big half-human tapeworm? And the killer insects that were released when loggers were cutting down old trees? And the Satan-worshipping school administration? And the necrophiliac serial killer who had a fetish about his victim's hair? Those were some of my favorites.

Of course the show went the way of most tv shows: it got tedious and boring. Its creator hoped that it would become a movie franchise, but after one hit movie that idea went by the wayside. There was one more movie, but it took like 10 years to get made and it was awful. That was a BIG disappointment to David Duchovny, who very, very much wanted to be a movie star.

Speaking of Duchovny...it's hard to believe that he was ever considered "hot." He has tiny eyes and a big nose and a monotone voice and over the years he's become more and more gross to look at. It probably doesn't help that he's been married to the cunty Tea Leoni; it must be pretty hard to live with that snotty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 107/17/2012

Do you really think the show would be better in full light? The darkness was often used to heighten tension and inflame the viewer's imagination, while hiding less-than-perfect special effects/costumes...

by Anonymousreply 207/17/2012

[quote]And the killer insects that were released when loggers were cutting down old trees?

I've watched streaming, too. I loved that episode. Titus Welliver played one of the eco-warriors. I was surprised how many episodes I had missed.

by Anonymousreply 307/17/2012

My favourite was the parody ep where Luke Wilson played a bucktoothed sheriff.

by Anonymousreply 407/17/2012

I'm rewatching it, too. I started with the very beginning and am up to season 3 now. I'm actually enjoying the mytharc episodes much more than I did the first time around. Maybe they're just easier to follow not broken up. Duchovny is such is a bad actor! Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is a really great episode.

by Anonymousreply 507/17/2012

Remember the episode called "Home (I think that was the title)?" I turned on the tv and what I thought was a really bad, over the top horror movie turned out to be an episode of the X-files. It started out with a monstrously deformed man burying something in a heavy rainstorm; what he was burying was his monstrously deformed baby brother. As it turns out he was one of the "Peacocks (I think that's right)" a family of mutants (this show was REALLY over the top) consisting of three brothers and their mother Mrs. Peacock (the mother was limbless and they kept her under the bed). The mutant sons attempted to continue the family bloodline by breeding with their deformed mother, who willingly co-operated. This show was dumb in a lot of ways (one of the characters in it is a Sheriff named "Andy Taylor") but it was so disgusting and violent that I think it was banned in some areas.

by Anonymousreply 607/17/2012

Yeah, they weren't allowed to re-air it for like a decade because people were so grossed out by it. It was pretty gross, but flukeman and the ones with the girls with no eyes and extra fingers creeped me out more.

by Anonymousreply 707/17/2012

I also much prefer the stand-alone episodes to the "mythology" storyline. They kept the latter going too long, and it just got more and more complex and boring: the oil that would turn you into an alien, the bees, the shapechanging aliens, the dna samples, the people without orifices--it just went on for too long.

The stand-alone episodes are great. One of my favorites is "Never Again," the one where the guy gets dumped by his wife and gets a tattoo of a woman that goads him on to murder other women (Jodie Foster did the tattoo's voice: "LOOOOOOOOSER!"). This was Gillian Anderson's best episode--she won an Emmy for it, I think. The guy who plays the killer was one of the Gillian Anderson's boyfriends in real life whom she left her husband for (another was one of the caveman-mutant incest-born brothers from "Home") and he was incredibly hot, with a great tight body and big biceps.

The how was generally pretty good on eye candy: every season had one episode centering upon Director Skinner, who was played by Mitch Peleggi who has a great body--and every one of those episodes showed him in his tighty-whities.

I agree the weak spot was David Duchovny. Fox Mulder was a great character, but Duchovny's not much of an actor, and Gillian Anderson ran rings around him (her other best episode was "Beyond the Sea," about her dead father trying to give her a message through a serial killer about to be executed). At least Duchovny was easy on the eyes (even if he didn't have that great a body).

Other favorite episodes:

*"Eve Six," with Harriet Sansom Harris and the murderous little cloned twin girls

*either of the episodes with Eugene Toombs, the creepy mutant serial killer who could squeeze into any small space and who ate his victims' livers

*"Paradise," about the gated California community where you would be killed if you broke any of the HOA's rules

*an episode the title of which I forget where people would suddenly become spree killers after they hallucinated LCD displays (on elevator indicators, microwave ovens, etc.) commanding them to kill everyone

by Anonymousreply 807/17/2012

Jose Chung's From Outer Space (or something akin to that) with Charles Nelson Rielly was my favorite.

And the one they did about The Great Mutato in B&W like the old Frankenstein movie.

The creepiest one for me was the one in Florida where people were disappearing near a swamp. Ad Noctum was the name of it, I think.

by Anonymousreply 907/17/2012

Mitch Pileggi looks like the fluke worm man. He's a circumsized penis in human form, a dick head.

by Anonymousreply 1007/17/2012

The fluke episode was awesome. Remember the hurricane ep where the monster kept coming up through the toilet?

And I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but wasn't there an episode where a cockroach was remote-controlled by space aliens?

by Anonymousreply 1107/17/2012

Yeah, the roaches were alien robots.

Humbug is a fun one, too. Scully eats the cricket and The Little Man From Another Place from Twin Peaks is the motel owner and the sheriff used to be a Dog Boy and buries a potato under the full moon.

by Anonymousreply 1207/17/2012

I've watched about a dozen or so episodes of the first season. Not bad. Should I continue? I watched it very sporadically back when it aired. A pretty good show.

by Anonymousreply 1307/17/2012

Tea Leoni, though rather butch, is very good looking I must say.

by Anonymousreply 1407/17/2012

My favorites, in no particular order:

"Triangle" which was either their first episode in HD or their first in widescreen. It cuts back and forth between Scully in the present and Mulder in the past aboard a luxury liner in the 1939s that's been hijacked by Nazi officers, where most of the people appearing in the '39 segments are the regular cast in different roles. What makes it great is Anderson's awesome performance, and the fact that they use these awesome long tracking shots go on and on. It's very visually distinctive, and very, very engaging to watch.

"Christmas Carol," where Scully goes home to spend Christmas with her family, find a little girl that she thinks is the child of her late sister Melissa, but turns out to be Scully's daughter instead. They had to recast the actress playing the daughter and didn't really have the ability to reshoot new scenes with the new actress, and so they kind of had to splice it together. Anderson was incredibly hard on herself because she felt that she didn't really get a chance to bond with the new actress and that it hurt her performance. PS, she won her Emmy for that episode.

"Requiem," the Season 7 finale which was originally set up as a series finale, where M&S return to the site of their first case, and we've seen their relationship come full circle, where after being told they're in danger of having the X-Files close, they decide to "go waste some money" and do it one better.

"Beyond the Sea" MOTW episode with an incredibly performance from Brad Doriff as a death-row inmate claiming to have psychic information about a crime. Even better performance from Anderson, left along after Mulder gets shot. Great scene where she confronts Doriff after Mulder gets shot, telling him "If he dies because of what you've done, no one will stop me from being the one who gasses you out of this life forever you SON OF BITCH!"

"Alone," and episode that focuses on Doggett while Mulder is on maternity leave. He's given a new partner who is there as sort of a stand-in for all the fans of the show. What makes it rather touching for me was that they named the new partner Leyla Harrison, the named after a big-time internet fan I was acquainted with who had died several months before of cancer. One of the most fundamentally decent things I've ever seen any show do before or since.

I have a dozen more, but those are off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 1507/17/2012

[quote]And I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but wasn't there an episode where a cockroach was remote-controlled by space aliens?

Season 3's War of the Coprophages.

by Anonymousreply 1607/17/2012

It would have been better if David Duchovney had shown his sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 1707/17/2012

R13, yeah, I think it benefits from watching it in order. There are definitely some clunkers andI wouldn't bother with Season 9 or even really 8, for that matter, but it was mostly solid and funny and suspenseful and scary through most of Season 7.

by Anonymousreply 1807/17/2012

It would have been better if Meg Ryan had played Mulder.

by Anonymousreply 1907/17/2012

Thanks, R18.

by Anonymousreply 2007/17/2012

I have no idea of the name of the episode, but it was in an early season, it featured the traveling freak show and there was this guy who had a type of conjoined twin who could detach from the bigger twin. Super freaky. I remember the Satanic school administration one, was that the episode with human remains and blood in the river?

by Anonymousreply 2107/17/2012

R21, that's Humbug.

by Anonymousreply 2207/17/2012

The first couple of seasons are schlocky beyond belief. The mytharc is actually what made the show interesting. Otherwise, it would have been an updated version of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker".

by Anonymousreply 2307/17/2012

I don't think they're schlocky.

by Anonymousreply 2407/17/2012

None of you heathens have mentioned Krycek? I'm ashamed.

I liked the episode with the guy who could mind control people; I think he had a bran tumor.... I thought the actor (Robert Wisden?) was handsome and he reminded me of Sam Neill.

by Anonymousreply 2507/17/2012

Gillian Anderson won the Emmy for Memento Mori, a beautiful episode where Scully finds out she has cancer.

by Anonymousreply 2607/17/2012

I loved the Scully cancer arc for some reason. She got nose bleeds well.

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2012

Helen Mirren gave Gillian her Emmy. Gillian goes all fangirl on her. Cute!

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2012

I just watched the one with young Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2012

Jose Chung's From Outer Space is the most blankety brilliant bleeping greatest single episode of TV, ever!

If you don't believe me , you're a dead man!

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2012

R30, we allow cursing here.

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2012

I hope you're kidding, r31.

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2012

Blankety beeping? Are you a scrapbooker?

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2012

Does Nick Lea have a nose job?

by Anonymousreply 3407/18/2012

I love this show. & I love Bad Blood. The different versions of the story are great – Scully is kind of a lazy bitch, Mulder seems coked up, & Scully’s crush on Luke Wilson is funny, with & without big buckteeth.

I thought the show did comedy & creepiness really well. Arcadia was creepy & funny while they played house & we learned that Mulder thinks dolphins are tasty. I also love Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, Humbug, Small Potatoes, Hollywood A.D., Tooms, Flukeman.

Brand X really creeped me out – I smoke – so an experimental cigarette in which the tobacco beetle’s eggs were inhaled & incubated in the lungs almost made me quit smoking.

R15 – thanks, VotN, for the info about Leyla Harrison in Alone – I never knew that & it makes the ending even more endearing -- when she meets Mulder & Scully & asks them how they made it back from Antarctica after running out of gas; then Mulder & Scully start bickering about how it happened.

Good show.

by Anonymousreply 3507/18/2012

Ahh, Clyde Bruckman!

LOVED IT when he suggested that Mulder would die of auto-erotic asphyxiation!

by Anonymousreply 3607/18/2012

Audrey was a pretty good early episode, too.

by Anonymousreply 3707/18/2012

R28 - Gillian was stunning in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 3807/18/2012

She was prettier on the actual show.

by Anonymousreply 3907/18/2012

R9, the episode is called "Detour" and it scared the shit out of me! I was in 7th grade and slept in my mom's bed that night. I was too scared to be alone. It's the only episode of the X-Files that actually scared me.

by Anonymousreply 4007/18/2012

Gillian and David in 1995

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2012

Wait. What is this show about? I thought it was a show about political conspiracy, including the one about aliens. Reading here, it sounds like a freak show.

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2012

R42, yes, it was both. More freak show than conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2012

One of my favorites is all things. I enjoyed Gillian direction, very different the the usual xfiles.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2012

R44, that was a hypnotically dull episode, one of their absolute worst in the entire run and created huge plot discrepancies between established canon and what Anderson just made up for her script. There's a good reason she hasn't written or directed since then. Also, she's a fucking Scientologist.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2012

Once I heard David Duchovny say they were three kinds of episodes: the "mythology" episodes 9with the alien conspiracy), the stand-alone episodes (the ones people remember most fondly), and then the comic versions of the stand-alone episodes which seem to take place in a parallel universe with the same characters doing wacky things they would never do in the other ones. One of my favorites of these was "Syzygy," where the two evil teenage cheerleaders use psychic powers to kill their enemies. There's a great moment where the writers have Scully give voice to one of those annoying questions the show's fans always whined about in chatrooms:

SCULLY: (pissed off) "Hey Mulder, how come you always get to drive the car? Is it because you're the Big Man or something?"

MULDER: (blase) "No, I always thought it was because your tiny legs wouldn't reach the pedals."

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2012

R46, that's the one with Ryan Reynolds. And there are much better lines in it.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2012

Gillian isn't a scientologist.

Where in the world did you pull that from?

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2012

Scientology's own public records.

Gillian Anderson - Scientology Service Completions:

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2012

Watching an episode now with BD Wong. Unusually, he's giving the best performance of the whole cast. Even Gillian is hamming it up and phoning it in and not connecting to the material at all.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2012

My favorite humorous X-File was the COPS episode. After Mulder tells the patrol cop that he suspects a werewolf is involved, she goes off on him. "What the BLEEP are you BLEEPING talking about?"

Was this the first U.S. series with a government conspiracy theme?

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2012

R50, is that the scary one with the Asian guys who are dying and something written in Chinese [?] in like white chalk on the inside of a boiler or whatever?

Loved that ep.

BD Wong is super cute.

by Anonymousreply 5207/18/2012

R52, yes, it's that one. He's really cute in this.

R51, that was a funny one. I think is was skillful that they were able to poke such fun at themselves without jumping the shark...until season 8.

by Anonymousreply 5307/18/2012

I'm not familiar with Scientology so I have no idea what am looking at. In '09 she did a class or something? Why is it only up to '09?

How do we know it's xfiles gillian and not someone else? She's not listed in the celebrity section and the section she is listed at is filled with non-celebrity.. Last I remembered she was a buddhist.

by Anonymousreply 5407/18/2012

[quote]Gillian Anderson won the Emmy for Memento Mori, a beautiful episode where Scully finds out she has cancer.

You're right. I had the year she won wrong. She used "Christmas Carol" for her reel the next year, when she was nominated, but lost to Christine Lahti.

by Anonymousreply 5507/18/2012

These people don't think it's X Files Gillian Anderson.

Btw, there two Gillian's on that list. Nearly gave me a heart attack thinking she was. *phew*

by Anonymousreply 5607/18/2012

She wasn't considered helpfully famous anymore in 09 and the page I linked to shows that she passed 5 courses and is considered "clear" and an OT II which is just below the level where they tell you about Xenu. Find me the other Gillian Anderson attending classes at the Los Angeles Celebrity Center and I'll happily agree it isn't her.

by Anonymousreply 5707/18/2012

R31 and R33, you're embarrassing yourselves.

The best two writers on this show, without a doubt, were Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan. They were responsible for the 'funny' episodes, which tended to be my favorites.

Darin Morgan wrote 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space', 'War of the Coprophages', and 'Clyde Buckman's Final Repose' (I love how he kept bringing back the Stupendous Yappi).

Vince Gilligan wrote 'Small Potatoes' (which starred...Darin Morgan as the shape shifting Eddie Van Blundht--the 'h' is silent). He also wrote the classic 'Bad Blood' (my absolute favorite), 'X-Cops'(I loved that one, too, R51!), and the creepy but heartbreaking, 'Paper Hearts', which featured Tom Noonan as a child killer who may have murdered Mulder's sister.

Gilligan, of course, is now responsible for one of the greatest shows ever, Breaking Bad.

As huge a fan as I was of The X-Files (and I agree that season one is pretty terrible), I can't believe that I had no idea of the connection to Breaking Bad when I first started watching it. Then I kept recognizing all of these X-Files names and finally put it together.

by Anonymousreply 5807/18/2012

R56, that thread is full of hopeful conjecture; no facts. It's her -- unless you can present the other Gillian Anderson who as attending classes at the LA Celebrity Center.

by Anonymousreply 5907/18/2012

[quote]One of my favorites of these was "Syzygy," where the two evil teenage cheerleaders use psychic powers to kill their enemies. There's a great moment where the writers have Scully give voice to one of those annoying questions the show's fans always whined about in chatrooms:

Hate him, hate him, wouldn't want to date him.

by Anonymousreply 6007/18/2012

And how do I do that r57? No, I mean seriously. How in the world can I do that?

Aside from a name, which more then one person no doubt has, it has no other information. Arent you the one with the burden of proof? There's got to be more to this then a name if you honestly believe this.

Plus, she would be on the celebrity section since at the time she was coming out of a successful Bleak House and ended up getting a BAFTA and Lawrence Olivier Nominations for other productions. She's still regarded as a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 6107/18/2012

R61, there are many scientologists like Giovanni Ribisi and Elizabeth Moss who aren't advertised as celebrity patrons but whose names show up in the records of courses passed/paid for. If you don't believe it's her, start a thread on Operation Clambake aka xenu.net and see if anyone there will give you the low down or fucking ask her on her Twitter. Right now, according to $'s records, sure looks like her.

by Anonymousreply 6207/18/2012

Giovanni does show up on the link you have me in the celebrity section which is why I question why she's not there.

So aside from that...that's all you have? I'm not trying to be combative but that's a list that includes regular people but no indication anywhere else on the web that it's her. Why isnt it possible for it to be someone else? Just because its in LA? Regulars go to that center too, from the impressions i got. Even on other message boards they are asking if its her. So no one knows but you sound so sure. You must have more the just a name match?

She's listed as Christian on other places but that I doubt as well. She's way to new age. The only other thing mention is her 1st marriage that took place with a buddistmonk in '94.

by Anonymousreply 6307/18/2012

Ask the Scientologists. There are many message boards full of blown Scilons and someone will spill. And do a search to see if there are any other "Gillian Andersons" who might be likely to be audited at the Celebrity Center in LA. My guess is NO. She's a flake with addiction problems and spending a hardcore year in scientology working all th way to OTII until she realized the story was totally beyond the level of bonkers she could rationalize seems completely part of her narrative. But you tell me. Where are these other women named Gillian Anderson who were audited at the LA Scientology Celebrity Center?

by Anonymousreply 6407/18/2012

How should I know where they are at? I dont even know what you mean by finding them. What a bizarre question/challenge.

Thank you for your posts op but after that post, I think I'm going to walk away now. Maybe someone later can give a bit more to this with some insight/opinions on this. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6507/18/2012

R65, do you have a cognitive disability? You google Former Scientologists and all these websites show up and and then you can post a thread asking about Anderson.

Not rocket science.

So, we'll just conclude that Gillian Anderson is a Scientologist based on the fact that the Church of Scientology has made their records public stating someone with her uncommon name was audited at The Celebrity Center in Los Angles and reached the level of OT II -- unless you hobestly belive a group as litigious as the Scientologists would risk a libel suit.

by Anonymousreply 6607/18/2012

'Gillian Anderson' is an uncommon name?

by Anonymousreply 6707/18/2012

R67, how many people do you know named Gillian Anderson? I don't know any. I don't even know anyone named Gillian. Do you? Pronounced with a soft G?

by Anonymousreply 6807/18/2012

Yes, I do actually...not that it will make any difference to those hellbent on the idea that Gillian Anderson (the actress, as opposed to a random woman with the same name) is a sciento.

by Anonymousreply 6907/18/2012

Ok well adk your friend if she attended auditing session to OT II at the Celebrity Center in LA. That seems likely, right? More likely than an actual celebrity with a house in the same city who has admitted she's into alternative theologies? Yeah. Ok.

by Anonymousreply 7007/18/2012

[quote]"Alone," and episode that focuses on Doggett while Mulder is on maternity leave.

Argh. SCULLY is on maternity leave. While Mulder being on maternity leave might have made for an interesting episode, they never did that particular storyline.

[quote][R15] – thanks, VotN, for the info about Leyla Harrison in Alone – I never knew that & it makes the ending even more endearing -- when she meets Mulder & Scully & asks them how they made it back from Antarctica after running out of gas; then Mulder & Scully start bickering about how it happened.

When the real Leyla was in the last few months of her battle with cancer, someone connected with the show suggested to producer Frank Spotnitz to write her a note, and that actually lead to a correspondence between the two of them. This was during the same time he was writing the episode, and at the time, he hadn't decided if the fan surrogate would be a man of a woman, but once she passed away, he decided what he was going to do.

Anyone set of honorable mention episodes, the Scully abduction story: "Duane Berry," "Ascension," and "One Breath."

I have a soft-spot for the pilot as well. There's just something very endearing to me about Mulder and Scully's partnership. They were set up to be adversaries, and even in the first episode, despite their completely different personalities, it's obvious that they can't help liking each other.

By the end of the series, it wasn't the mythology episodes or the MOTW episodes that was drawing me in, it was always the relationship between M&S: First as partners, then as friends, then as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 7107/18/2012

I've read some very peculiar Mulder Is Pregnant fanfc and am enormously pleased tptb did not go in that direction....

Voice, they dropped Leyla because viewer reaction was bad. They were already at that point trying to get rid of Duchovny because he was being such a shit head and wanted out. Leyla tested horribly.

by Anonymousreply 7207/18/2012

She's occasionally seen not far from COS. Seen her at the ArcLight a number of times.

So she's a Scieno? How do they feel about all the muff diving? Or is she trying to break that habit?

by Anonymousreply 7307/18/2012

R68- Gillian is a fairly common British name.

by Anonymousreply 7407/18/2012

[quote]One of my favorites of these was "Syzygy," where the two evil teenage cheerleaders use psychic powers to kill their enemies. There's a great moment where the writers have Scully give voice to one of those annoying questions the show's fans always whined about in chatrooms:

Ryan Reynolds is in that episode!

by Anonymousreply 7507/18/2012

After thinking more about “Home,” the Peacock brothers resemble a few folks on that History Channel reality show, “Swamp People,” about alligator fishing in Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 7607/18/2012

I was a NoRoMo.

by Anonymousreply 7707/18/2012

I wanted him to bang Krycek.

by Anonymousreply 7807/18/2012

Does Nick Lea work anymore? Can he play anything other than evil?

by Anonymousreply 7907/18/2012

Good question, 79. I always wondered just what his story was.

by Anonymousreply 8007/18/2012

He was in the Gender Bender episode in a bit part and impressed somebody enough that they brought him back as Krychek.

by Anonymousreply 8107/18/2012

R79 - he was on "Once Upon a Time" and "Supernatural" within the last 12 months.

by Anonymousreply 8207/19/2012

Did he play a bad guy?

by Anonymousreply 8307/19/2012

I was huge fan, too. My favorites were all those already listed: Jose Chung, Small Potatoes, X-Cops, Clyde Bruckman, Humbug, the Cher episode, etc.

No one mention the Dreamland episodes. Where Michael McKean switches bodies with Mulder but no one knows. Those were awesome episodes.

Probably the best episode of all was Jose Chung. It's so hard to pick just one, though.

by Anonymousreply 8407/19/2012

Yeah, Dreamland I & II were really funny. I also liked Monday which was Groundhog's Day-like one with the bank robbery and Drive where Bryan Cranston head is going to explode if Mulder doesn't keep driving West at increasingly high speeds.

by Anonymousreply 8507/19/2012

One of my favorite x-mas gifts was a complete series, seasons 1-9, box set.

This thread makes me wanna watch all these episodes again! Yay, X-Files marathon!

Thanks for the thread, OP!

by Anonymousreply 8607/19/2012

This Hong Kong episode is confusing me. What the fuck is going on? Why was Krychek in that woman's office? Why'd the random payphone guy shoot Skinner? How did that lady glow?

by Anonymousreply 8707/19/2012

Mulder just came to and saw Scully in his hospital room and said, "Guess I'm not dead" as though this couldn't be heaven because you're here, Scully.

by Anonymousreply 8807/19/2012

david ducovny BDF for days.

Agree with OP enjoyed non alien storylines better...

by Anonymousreply 8907/19/2012

Has Duchovny shown his dick on camera?

by Anonymousreply 9007/19/2012

R87 I saw that last night too but don't have any answers for you.

by Anonymousreply 9107/19/2012

A few times, R90.

by Anonymousreply 9207/19/2012

Leonard Betts just regrew his head.

by Anonymousreply 9307/21/2012

It's a clever reference to the JOSE CHUNG episode, R33.

I'm glad to see so much love for the show still exists - that's nice.

Also, if Gillian were a Scientologist, her rabid fans would know all about it.

by Anonymousreply 9407/21/2012

Right, r94, because she gives so many interviews divulging details of her personal life. She's on their fucking roster as having completed courses through OT II. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 9507/21/2012

FWIW, the Church of Scientology has a habit of inflating its membership numbers by claiming anyone who ever even idly thought about Scientology is a member of the church.

Take one of their personality tests? You're a Scientologist.

Read a copy of Dianetics (note: do not do this)? You're a Scientologist.

Et cetera.

by Anonymousreply 9607/22/2012

streaming???

The OP is too poor to afford the DVDs

by Anonymousreply 9707/22/2012

Leonard Betts was such a momma's boy.

It was really gross when he broke his thumb off to get out of the handcuffs.

by Anonymousreply 9807/22/2012

What was the episode where there were the hypnotic giant bugs that would disguise themselves as people? That was a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 9907/22/2012

R97, please. Streaming is much more convenient and the quality is equal.

by Anonymousreply 10007/22/2012

R97 you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 10107/22/2012

R99 -- I think that was Folie a deux. Mulder started seeing these people as giant bugs, so everyone thought he was crazy.

Scully saves him in the end -- as usual.

by Anonymousreply 10207/22/2012

And if you're on the subway or out to lunch, it's easier to pull it up on your iPad than to lug around a portable DVD player plus all nine box sets.

by Anonymousreply 10307/22/2012

This one, R99?

by Anonymousreply 10407/22/2012

R102, the point of Folie a Deux is that Mulder *is* crazy. And because of the intimacy of their relationship, so is Scully. He's a loon, and the insanity is a unique and shared part of the relationship between M/S.

That's the meaning of folie a deux, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 10507/23/2012

I know, R105 .

At the end of the episode, Mulder asks Scully what she told Skinner about how she essentially saved Mulder -- if she believes, like Mulder, that the bugs & zombies exist & if she saw them too.

Scully simply says, "Folie a deux -- a madness shared by two." And the look on her face as the elevator closes is priceless.

I was merely trying to point out that I enjoyed it whenever the 'girl' rescued the 'boy'.

by Anonymousreply 10607/24/2012

"Whatever tape you found in the VCR isn't mine."

"Good, because I put it back in the drawer with all those other videos that aren't yours."

by Anonymousreply 10707/24/2012

Lol -- R107

"Mulder, what are you watching?"

Mulder stops the soft-core porn video & says, "Something on the Fox Channel -- World's Deadliest Swarms."

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2012

I was inspired by this thread to start watching the episodes again--I've been watching Season 2. I've been surprised how many weak episodes there are compared to the strong ones--it's a lot like "The Twilight Zone" or "Star Trek: TOS" in that way. For every really great episode (like "The Host" or "Irresistible") there are a bunch of weaker episodes--either where the premise doesn't make a lot of sense ("Aubrey") or where they repeat themselves ("Firewalker" would be a great epsidoe if it didn't basically repeat the story from the season before about the ice worms in the Antarctic--to me one of the most memorable episodes from season 1). And the stories about the alien conspiracy just go on and on, and they are so boring.

I had forgotten that Gillian Anderson really has great hair. It's so beautiful. She's not the prettiest woman in the world (she looks much better now--she's probably had some plastic surgery), but her hair is just incredible.

Duchovny is very funny, but he's not the actor Anderson is. She basically made the whole show. The show survived losing him but it could not survive losing her.

It's also amazing to see how many actors in the show later went on to become well-known--Bradley Whitford (from "The West Wing") and Leland Orser (from "Alien: Resurrection" and "Se7en") both have big roles in "Firewalker," for example.

by Anonymousreply 10907/24/2012

"Piper Maru" was the Hong Kong episode, and yes, that was Krycek in Geraldine's (?) office, looking really bedraggled (hey, he's been running from the Consortium since they tried to kill him, so I'll forgive him).

Krycek was not a 'good' guy, but I can't say he was totally a bad guy, either; his ghost saved Mulder in the end, after all.

Nick Lea has been in a lot of stuff, and he often plays perfectly normal guys. He's just really good at playing the morally ambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 11007/24/2012

Voice, taking a personality test on the street is different than there being a record of you having completed a series of courses including completing level OT II which is the level just below where they reveal the Xenu, bombs, volcano story.

R109, I'm up to season 6 now and have been surprised by the opposite, how many episodes hold up better than I remembered them being the first time around and how much more compelling the mytharc is when you can actually remember what the last bit of it was. And I thinkmby te end of Season 2 Gillian was really attractive. Her hair took a while to catch up to her slimmed down face.

by Anonymousreply 11107/24/2012

r97

LOL it's funny cause it's true. All my loser friends say how great Netflix is, then I point out, that I just buy the DVDs and they're all mad cause they were too stupid to get a real job

by Anonymousreply 11207/24/2012

The only person I know who still buys DVDs is my 69 year old father. Discs are old, dead media. You may as well buy movies on Beta-Max.

by Anonymousreply 11307/24/2012

[quote]It's also amazing to see how many actors in the show later went on to become well-known--Bradley Whitford (from "The West Wing") and Leland Orser (from "Alien: Resurrection" and "Se7en") both have big roles in "Firewalker," for example.

Felicity Huffman is in the ice worms episode. Ryan Reynolds is in one episode. So is Jack Black.

[quote]Duchovny is very funny, but he's not the actor Anderson is. She basically made the whole show. The show survived losing him but it could not survive losing her.

The thing of it was, if they'd cast ANYBODY but those two, it never would have worked. I think Scully and Doggett worked, but only because they'd had seven years of proving the concept.

It made me so angry that in the episodes he appeared in once he officially left, he still got top billing over her, despite the fact that she was the one who was anchoring the show.

by Anonymousreply 11407/24/2012

R112 DVD's take up too much space. If I do want to purchase a movie I buy the streaming version on Amazon and add it to my library. DVDs are passe.

by Anonymousreply 11507/24/2012

I thought it was bullshit he got top billing, too, and tht he was getting paidso much morethanher for the whole run when he has no fucking talent andshe carried him inevery scene.

by Anonymousreply 11607/24/2012

The conspiracy is getting a little ridiculous in Season 6.

by Anonymousreply 11707/25/2012

I can carry around every episode of The X-Files around with me on my iPad (which costs more than your DVD box set so fuck off with that poor shit). I can watch them anywhere I go.

So please, continue to act superior because you own the DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 11807/25/2012

"Well, nobody can stop the world, Mulder, I do't care how many holes they have in their head."

by Anonymousreply 11907/27/2012

Do they ever wrap up what happened to his sister? I'm getting sick of that story.

by Anonymousreply 12007/27/2012

I think the stuff with Samantha Mulder was pretty much finished after the two part episode "Two Fathers"/"One Son" in the middle of the sixth season. That was around the time that they started to break away from the conspiracy story somewhat.

Honestly, the mytharc stuff got so convoluted by the end, it's hard to follow.

by Anonymousreply 12107/27/2012

Yeah, they lost me with the mytharc towards the end of season 6 and I don't understand Mulder's brain issue at the beginning of season 7 nor how they go from that to solving monster of the week's as though nothing happened. Should they have ended the series with season 6?

by Anonymousreply 12207/27/2012

On the whole, I think I would have been happy if they'd ended with either season 7 or season 8.

Trying to do it without Mulder or Scully was a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 12307/27/2012

The convultions of the mythos arc in X-Files was why I gave up on Lost. I could tell as soon as the mystery started becoming ever more complicated in Lost that they didn't know how to solve it--they just liked playing with the audience, the way they did on X-Files.

From all reports, that's exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 12407/27/2012

I'm about halfway through season 7 right now and there really hasn't been a single really good episode at all so far this season. Had all the good writers quit at this point?

by Anonymousreply 12507/27/2012

Tough it out. The episode "all things" that Gillian Anderson wrote and directed is pretty good, and I really quite like the finale.

by Anonymousreply 12607/27/2012

Oh I saw all things years ago, as I have most of the episodes, and thought very little of it. I found it incredibly dull and self-important and to have completely the wrong tone to be part of the series at all. And the annoying clocks. There's a good reason Gillian has neither written nor directed anything since then.

by Anonymousreply 12707/27/2012

"Mulder, when you find me dead, my desiccated corpse propped up staring lifelessly through the telescope at drunken frat boys peeing and vomiting into the gutter, just know that my last thoughts were of you and how I’d like to kill you."

by Anonymousreply 12807/28/2012

Scully: "You've seen this movie 42 times?"

Mulder: "Yes."

Scully "Doesn't that make you? Sad it makes me sad."

by Anonymousreply 12907/28/2012

My favourite episode is Eve. Harriet Harris and those evil little girls are so brilliant.

I also liked episodes that used the BC woods: Darkness Falls with all the killer bugs.

Nick Lea was very sexy in '40's fashions as Elliott Ness on Supernatural last year - humina!

by Anonymousreply 13007/28/2012

Nicholas Lea and 80's hunk Michael Pare are starring in a new movie on the Syfy channel right NOW (replay at 1AM).

by Anonymousreply 13107/28/2012

Does Nick Lea have a nose job?

by Anonymousreply 13207/30/2012

Remember the episode where a guy with some kind of strange condition needs to suck fat out of women (by kissing them)? That was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 13307/30/2012

Am I the only one who liked the sequel? It was sad they're I'd died, but murder and Scully living as a couple was nice.

by Anonymousreply 13407/30/2012

I'm rewatching it on Netflix right now too. My favorite is Humbug about the freaks in Gibsonton, FL...

I agree that the standalone episodes far surpass the "mythology" episodes which are dumb. The only interesting plotline from those episodes was Scully getting cancer from her abduction.

by Anonymousreply 13507/30/2012

Imagine how different the shows mythology would have been if Gillian didn't get knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 13607/30/2012

The alien conspiracy episodes aren't as bad if you watch them on streaming or DVD, and not have them spread out over nine years. During the X-Files' original run, I got tired of the alien stuff because it became so convoluted I could never remember half of it, and after a while it seemed as if the writers were making it up as they went along. If you watch all seasons after another, the storyline is much easier to follow. That being said, they really dragged it out way more than they should have.

I agree that the stand-alone episodes were the best. Many of them were just first-rate.

What were the circumstances of Duchovny leaving the show? It was so long ago I can't remember the details. Was is the age-old case of a TV actor thinking he was going to have a big movie career and wanted off the show that made him famous? He really didn't do much for years afterwards, and Californication was nowhere near the mega-hit the X-Files was.

by Anonymousreply 13707/30/2012

R137, it was combination of him thinking he was going to have a huge movie career and him legitimately being furious that Chris Carter had intentionally fucked him out of a lot of money. I think Gillian only stayed on that last year to try to make up the difference. She was always paid much less than Duchovny and their relationship soured because he refused to go to bat for her when he was fighting for his own "fair" pay.

by Anonymousreply 13808/04/2012

R134, yeah, I think you're alone there. It really didn't make sense to do a monster of the week movie given the way the series ended and that everyone wanted to know more about what they were really up to ten years down the road.

by Anonymousreply 13908/07/2012

I liked the 'I want to believe' movie, but I didn't love it -- which, as a big fan, was a bit disappointing. It was missing that certain something. But I liked how we got to see Mulder & Scully outside of the FBI, trying to move on. And I liked that it was a monster of the week movie -- since most people really loved the monster of the week episodes. I was really creeped out by the Dr. Frankenstein character -- the thought of a mere blood transfusion makes me light-headed & sick.

But I can't explain what the movie was missing to have made it a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 14008/08/2012

Well, first of all, it was a bad monster of the week. And secondly, after a decade, a monster of the week wasn't what anybody wanted.

by Anonymousreply 14108/08/2012

R141 -- So you wanted them to continue the conspiracy/mytharc in the 2nd movie?

It was so convoluted in the last few seasons -- and after so many years between the end of the show & the movie, it would've been even more difficult to follow, assuming they picked up where they left off. Is that what "most people" wanted? Because, just reading this thread, most people didn't seem to care too much about the conspiracy/mytharc -- especially towards the end of the series.

I'm not trying to be a bitch -- just trying to figure out what you think everyone wanted from the 2nd movie. =)

by Anonymousreply 14208/08/2012

It had been a decade since the last episode. Yeah, they needed to pick back up with the mytharc and set that straight and then they could have easily moved back into monster of the weeks as a franchise thing. But not only did they not tie up loose ends left dangling for ten years, they wrote one of the shittiest monster of the week's they've ever done and decided to make that into a film. There were very few MOW's during the series which were anywhere near as badly written, dull and humorless as that movie.

by Anonymousreply 14308/08/2012

Good points, R143

Tying up the loose ends of the series in a smart, exciting, fun way (like they could do so well) could've worked -- if they'd done it so that the movie could stand on it's own -- so that people who weren't fans of the show could've enjoyed the movie. (Sort of like they tried with the 1st movie -- only better.) Monster of the week franchise would've been great.

& I totally agree that the movie was humorless. But I do remember liking the movie-- maybe because I missed the show so much, I overlooked its flaws. Maybe I'll watch it again with a more critical eye.

by Anonymousreply 14408/08/2012

I think they really lost their way toward the end of Season 6. If they'd simply gotten back on track and tied everything up during Season 7, they could have ended the series there and left the mytharc mostly to rest and then done a MOW movie every handful of years. But everything got so tangled up.

I, also, thought the movie looked like it was shot on really cheap film stock. It didn't look good.

I was really excited to see it, too, but found it pretty disappointing and I've probably grown even more vitriolic about over the years because of realizing what could have been, that they could still have a successful franchise going and let us hang out with those characters in new stories once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 14508/08/2012

Can one of you explain to me why Mulder left, went into hiding or whatever, between the end of Season 8 and the beginning of Season 9 beyond Duchovny just not wanting to be on the show any more? Why would he leave Scully there alone with a baby knowing all those super soldiers were after both her and the baby? I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 14608/13/2012

Supercut of Scully's "Oh my God"s:

by Anonymousreply 14708/15/2012

I noticed the sick music choice in Home and then it suddenly hit me that it HAD to be Vince Gilligan's ep - twisted period music choices are such a trademark of BrBa. Guess what - he was co-producer on it! I was so happy to have made the connection..

by Anonymousreply 14911/01/2013

Good catch, r149. It's such a creepy episode. I shoulda guessed he was in on it.

by Anonymousreply 15011/01/2013

Creepy is a mild way of putting it. I sat there in the dark utterly repulsed when it ended, wondering if I should continue with the show - it just crossed a line on several levels. Particularly with the baby being buried alive - it hit a nerve with me cause I remember a real life story where a woman threw out her baby with the rubbish in -20 frost.

I utterly love Never Again - it's such a moody, wonderfully acted ep that feels like B-side to Beyond the Sea. I like how it leaves it ambiguous whether the tattoo actually talks or the guy's just a paranoid schizophrenic, or both. So lovely to see Scully get laid for once, poor gal ;-) That actor's body's a walking ad for personal trainers...

by Anonymousreply 15111/05/2013

My god, Duchovny drags the show down like a dead weight. I have this horrible urge to slap his odd face whenever he looks like he's about to burst out laughing at completely inappropriate moments.

I can' praise Gillian enough though - she's one of the most natural actresses I've seen. She makes lines sound immediate - like they come out straight out of her head.

by Anonymousreply 15211/05/2013

So if Duchovny's a sex addict, does that mean he'll fuck anything that moves, including guys?

by Anonymousreply 15311/05/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 15411/05/2013

Yeah, I loved those fun episodes like Cops, or Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Triangle, Bad Blood...

by Anonymousreply 15511/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.