Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Queen of Versailles"

This documentary opens this week. Sorry if there's a thread already.

With the epic dimensions of a Shakespearean tragedy, The Queen of Versailles follows billionaires Jackie and David’s rags-to-riches story to uncover the innate virtues and flaws of the American dream. We open on the triumphant construction of the biggest house in America, a sprawling, 90,000-square-foot mansion inspired by Versailles. Since a booming time-share business built on the real-estate bubble is financing it, the economic crisis brings progress to a halt and seals the fate of its owners. We witness the impact of this turn of fortune over the next two years in a riveting film fraught with delusion, denial, and self-effacing humor.

by Anonymousreply 9506/20/2013

And there's a lawsuit:

by Anonymousreply 107/17/2012

Are none of the "Tasteful Friends" on this site interested in this documentary about a tacky Orlando couple aspiring to build the "biggest house in America"?

by Anonymousreply 207/18/2012

Why is it about her, because her fake tits got her a rich dick? Why not "The Court of Versailles"?

by Anonymousreply 407/18/2012

Why are the wealthy always so loathsome?

by Anonymousreply 507/18/2012

Why do so many people equate money and decorating sense with gold leaf and that French Versailles look, not to mention huge monstrosities for houses?

by Anonymousreply 607/18/2012

Saw this Florida trash heap on Nightline the other night. She tries waaaaay too hard to appear ditzy and overconsumptuous. Glad they lost their asses.

by Anonymousreply 707/18/2012

That's disgusting thing is NOT a house!

by Anonymousreply 807/18/2012

I saw this a few weeks ago. It's hypnotic.

by Anonymousreply 1007/18/2012

What's sad is a lot of people on other sites think it's elegant and love it.

by Anonymousreply 1107/18/2012

If they had built a true copy of Versailles it could have been beautiful. The monstrosity they have created is a true horror! Obviously they indulged every tasteless and ignorant whim of the 'Queen' in the design and building of their house.

by Anonymousreply 1207/18/2012

They have money enough to live anywhere and they chose...Florida?

by Anonymousreply 1307/18/2012

I've noted before the the working classes associate the Versailles look with "class" and "luxury". You can see cheap knockoffs of that style at any of the larger flea markets, or furniture stores in downscale areas. It's usually painted and gilded, presumably to cover the low-quality wood.

Definite white-trash-with-money taste on display there. Thank you, OP, it's now in my Netflix queue.

by Anonymousreply 1407/18/2012

I've been looking forward to this documentary ever since I read about its screening at Sundance. R13, they live in Florida because the hubby is, or rather was, a big real-estate agent in the Orlando area, and also the owner of a big timeshare company. R2, our "tasteful friends" would probably be more interested in the film had the mansion been finished; instead, it still stands empty and unfinished, with acres (literally) of uninstalled marble in the basement, and available for sale for the low, low price of $75 million, or $100 million if you want it completely finished.

by Anonymousreply 1507/18/2012

[quote]They have money enough to live anywhere and they chose...Florida?

ORLANDO, Florida

...with a view of Disney World no less.

by Anonymousreply 1607/18/2012

Love that place!

by Anonymousreply 1707/18/2012

The house is awful, but the furniture is very very good. Very ipmortant examples by the leading makers of the eighteenth and nineteenth century in Paris. These pieces all ended up at either Sotheby's or Christie's. The disconnect between the decorative arts and the architecture was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 1807/18/2012

Um, r18 here. Had it confused with the house in Beverly Hills. I am very mistaken, should have read the article before being a know it all. You are all correct, that stuff is hilarious. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1907/18/2012

The wife reminds me of Linda Hogan who is, ironically, also Florida trash.

by Anonymousreply 2007/18/2012

They are a stunning couple, what a life they have with their dreamy castle and all the fine things of life.

by Anonymousreply 2107/18/2012

I just heard about the documentary for the first time. Seems like the kind of documentaries I like!

Anyone else watched it in the meantime?

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2012

I saw the movie. The wife comes off as very kind and endearing, believe it or not. Tacky, yes, but sweet. The movie ends somewhat deceptively: it leaves you thinking that they lost everything, but, after seeing the movie, I googled them, and their hard times are over, and construction has begun on the house again. They went through a rough spot that they got past. I agree with him that there should be a line or two at the end of the movie stating that things got better. It seems mean-spirited of the filmaker to not give a proper update. Also -- I've worked on a few documentaries, and it's amazing how many scenes in them are staged. It was clear that many scenes had been staged in this, too, suggesting that the director had an ulterior motive.

AND: hey! I'm artist. Blatant self-promotion. Check out my website!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2012

Just saw it last night. It's an amazing documentary that starts off as one thing (the crazy, 90,000 sf Versailles knockoff) and then becomes another (a compassionate yet devastating critique of American consumerist society).

by Anonymousreply 2411/26/2012

Jackie was clearly compensating for something missing in her life. Gee wonder what that is? It's just hilarious to me that they chose to plop the vulgar piece of garbage in the middle of an Orlando swap. Jesus. Hideous. Her boobs were larger than my head.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

Looks like Versailles is on! I am kind of excited to see how tacky this place will be.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012

r17 is right. That is exactly Donald Trump's style. Anyone else remember the Plaza in the late 80s, early 90s under his ownership? Ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2012

You kind of like Jackie, she is pretty down to earth and charming but damn is she tacky. Could you imagine fucking her old man?

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2012

He's one of the assholes who threatened to lay off all his slaves if they voted for the n word. He and his vile cunt wife need to be the first in line at the guillotine.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2012

Please tell me that they're so stupid they pronounce it vur-SAYLES, like that city in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2012

No she actually pronounces it correctly. It's an interesting doc. I believe the filmmaker decided that Jackie would make good movie so she started to focus more on her. You can tell with the staged visit to the family and friends in Binghamton, the phone call to the girlfriend she bailed out, the trip to McDonalds. Still it's a good doc. It's nice to see the oldest daughter grow to be a sensible kid and defend her to the asshole father.

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2012

Just watched it on Bravo. Have to say, I felt bad for David Siegel.

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2013

And I can't believe I felt bad for him, knowing he's the guy that promised mass layoffs if Obama got re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 3304/29/2013

r20, is that irony or coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 3404/29/2013

She's actually from upstate New York and was an engineer for IBM.

by Anonymousreply 3504/29/2013

In my opinion there is nothing for residents to do in Orlando unless you are spending $$$ at the parks and who does that every day. It's an ugly, boring place to live.

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2013

The wife is sweet, she plays bimbo but is actually someone with an engineering degree! Her life took another track of course.

David Siegel, he laid no one off btw, and it was just a threat of course. His company is fine. And he's a sleaze, hitting on other women in front of Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2013

Meh. It's fairly entertaining but hardly anything new. Pretty standard issue reality tv. Not great documentary cinema.

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2013

R37 I missed that part...what were the circumstances of David hitting on another woman.

by Anonymousreply 3904/29/2013

What's going on with her face on WWHL?

by Anonymousreply 4004/30/2013

The professional title "Engineer" has been so bastardized it's pathetic. Same with "Architect". Trust me, that woman is no true Engineer. She went to some trade school upstate and got some whacky certificate "Database Engineer" or some other such bullshit "degree".

by Anonymousreply 4104/30/2013

Her face looked like "Madame" on WWHL. What was she wearing a cat lynx stroller in Florida for?

by Anonymousreply 4204/30/2013

Anyone catch that "dig" on WWHL when Andy Cohen showed her modeling pictures and said they were "vintage" pictures! WOOO!

by Anonymousreply 4304/30/2013

David Siegel is one of the most disgusting people I've ever seen. He's a road-show Donald Trump (who refused to bail him out). Built his empire on stupid timeshares that people can't even give away right now (except for me, I found someone to take mine off my hands). Like Trump, he's obsessed with the women he couldn't get, like Miss America. The things he said to those women. "Would you rather find a goodlooking guy, or a guy with money?" Ugh. With his wife standing by, looking like she was inflated with a bicycle pump. Jackie needs to go down a bra size or two. She's way too top-heavy.

by Anonymousreply 4404/30/2013

What got me was all the dog shit all over their house. These people are white trash pigs.

He also claimed to have been responsible for George Bush getting elected. When asked how, he said he shouldn't say because it could be illegal.

by Anonymousreply 4504/30/2013

Why should anyone bail him out? Those timeshares are the biggest scam going, you have to pay R.E. taxes and a maintenance fee year-round.

If I want to go anywhere I'll book my hotel, pay for it and that's it...not pay for something year-round that I don't use and can't unload if I get sick of paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2013

R45: Here’s Siegel’s account of how he swung the election in Bush’s favor: “Whenever I saw a negative article about [Al] Gore, I put it in with the paychecks of my 8,000 employees. I had my managers do a survey on every employee. If they liked Bush, we made them register to vote. But not if they liked Gore. The week before [the election] we made 80,000 phone calls through my call center—they were robo-calls. On Election Day, we made sure everyone who was voting for Bush got to the polls. I didn’t know he would win by 527 votes. Afterward, we did a survey among the employees to find out who voted who wouldn’t have otherwise. One thousand of them said so.”

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2013

I think she is actually an Engineer, she went to RIT in Rochester. It's a pretty good school. It's hard to believe because she seems to be the ultimate bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2013

Unless they've changed the law, R41, it's illegal to use the title "architect" unless you're registered. You have to use designer or some other word that skirts the subject.

by Anonymousreply 4904/30/2013

I liked the wife until she saw the call center and talked to the guy who was still there after everyone had been laid off (two days before Thanksgiving so they could get out of paying holiday time). The last employee was saying how horrible it was to see all these people lose their jobs (even with Bush as president), watching them walk out like "in a funeral procession," and the wife just mutters something like "times are hard all around." And who says to an Avis rep "What's my driver's name." Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2013

Is this on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 5104/30/2013

R50 Yeah and then on WWHL she claims they were never in danger of losing the house. They just had to say that because they laid all of those people off to keep the banks happy.

She deserves that shitty face job she got. Her doc must have been related to one of her former employees.

by Anonymousreply 5204/30/2013

"she plays bimbo but is actually someone with an engineering degree!"

I have an MBA from Harvard!

by Anonymousreply 5404/30/2013

Jesus what did she do to herself? Totally fucked up face, tits filled with cement and the tackiest wardrobe. Alexis looked like the epitome of good taste sitting next to her.

by Anonymousreply 5504/30/2013

I hope so, R49. My company has "Database Architects" and "Software Architects" - hell - my official title is "Software Engineer", but I know good and well that I'm truly a Systems Analyst and they call me Engineer on paper to justify my billing rate. I started my career working with REAL Architects and REAL Engineers, I know it burns those people to no end to see their professional creds. co-opted by non-professionals as they are today.

by Anonymousreply 5604/30/2013

R55 Alexis looked like Babe Paley sitting next to Angelyne.

by Anonymousreply 5704/30/2013

There is no way that that woman is a bona fide engineer.

by Anonymousreply 5804/30/2013

I sat in one of their hardcore sales sessions in Orlamdo. It's a fucking production and the salespeople go from super-sweet to downright mean if you're not interested. This was back in the 00s and the place was packed.

They assign a 'sales person' based on your age, martial status, have kids, etc they have it down to.a science. Unfortunately for them, I'm pretty immune to sales tactics and just wanted free tickets to Disney. But a lot of people were buying their bullshit spiel

by Anonymousreply 5904/30/2013

I did that once, sat in a session for 30 minutes and got $50. It was a total waste of time and the salesperson did get rather testy with me but it was kind of fun to torture him.

by Anonymousreply 6004/30/2013

Saw a bit of this last night, absolutely horrendous. It's amazing that anyone would think that terrible concrete bunker bears even a remote resemblance to any 17th Century French chateau, let alone Versailles, is ridiculous. Have they ever even seen a picture of Versailles? The furnishings in their present monstrosity are beyond description, total trash.

by Anonymousreply 6104/30/2013

[quote]I've noted before the the working classes associate the Versailles look with "class" and "luxury". You can see cheap knockoffs of that style at any of the larger flea markets, or furniture stores in downscale areas.

I thought the same when I saw Tom Brady and Giselle Bundchen's house.

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2013

[quote]The professional title "Engineer" has been so bastardized it's pathetic.

Part of the problem is the field's breadth: it can encompass anything from a structural engineer (used in construction) to chemical engineer to computer engineer to nuclear engineer (my late grandfather's profession).

"Architect" is pretty clear-cut, in comparison. Unless you're AIA-accredited, you're not a "real" architect.

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2013

Scroll down to see the classy dress she wore to her step son's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 6405/01/2013

She always has to have outfits focused on her breasts. And they're fake.

They keep saying in the doc how smart she is, but she seems to have no common sense.

The one sibling had it right when she said Siegel married Jackie because she was just another trophy. But the trophy is looking tarnished, despite all the botox and dermabrasion.

I think she's a compulsive shopper because to her it means daddy really loves her, even if he can't show it.

The most repellent scene was when they were in serious financial trouble and she went and filled up 3 cars with kiddie toys- sometimes several of the same product.

by Anonymousreply 6505/01/2013

I think the most horrifying thing was the chair that David Siegel was sitting in. Even Huffman Koos doesn't carry that trash.

You didn't have to listen to anything they said, you just had to look at that chair and you knew the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 6605/01/2013

R64, she obviously did not have her implants yet.

by Anonymousreply 6705/01/2013

Geezus! Her teeth were so bad I thought she was English.

by Anonymousreply 6805/01/2013

grey teeth, gaudy house. Literally sitting on swamp land. Mosquitoes.

No class trash Republicans.

Disgusting surroundings that aren't worth anything (who wants to walk in a room filled with shit? And dog shit, too!)

The husband is disgusting. Vile. Just so awful. Materialistic whore. Vile trash.

And yet they exposed all for the world to see? And then she showed up on WWHL. For what reason?

Vile trash.

by Anonymousreply 6905/01/2013

At the beginning of the film the old Jew seemed to have some warm feelings for his tacky wife & his late-in-life litter of kids, but once the bottom dropped out he couldn't give two shits for either.

What kind of man lets his wife have a litter of 7 kids just because they have enough Filipino nannies to care for them.

You just wait & see....Andy Cohen & BRAVO will soon be filming that tacky family for next Season's newest reality show.

by Anonymousreply 7005/01/2013

sorry, one last thing: the professional real estate agent has a listing for $100,000,000 (!) and she can't even pronounce "Versailles" correctly? And get a load of her brochure -- in binder format!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7105/01/2013

The eldest son said after his parents divorced his mother struggled financially, not enough food, etc, even though Papa Siegel was well off.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2013

r72 the courts back then were shit to women, things have gotten way better but there are now problems with fathers' rights. In short we went full hog the other way, no middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2013

R65, if she's his trophy he obviously came in 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 7405/01/2013

With all the goodies lying around, the kids didn't seem happy. The self-centered mother; the distant daddy; the surrogate Filipino wet nurses... When they let the lizard die, I'm like "Hard labor in an Asian sweat shop, to see where those toys come from".

by Anonymousreply 7505/01/2013

So what did he do to get George W. elected?

by Anonymousreply 7605/01/2013

Linda Hogan is LA trash, born and raised.

by Anonymousreply 7705/01/2013

[quote] They have money enough to live anywhere and they chose...Florida?

Of course. They're scammers. In Florida creditors can't take a person's house to pay a debt or lawsuit. Why do you think oj simpson moved to Florida? If he lived anywhere else Fred Goldman would have gotten his house. Fred can't touch his house in Florida or his pension

by Anonymousreply 7805/02/2013

The house looks so terrible. It looks like they used cheap crappy construction products. The exterior has such sharp edges. And the flat roof is going to be nothing but trouble in Florida where it rains a lot, and very hard in the summer. It will all be leaking with in a year, if it isn't already

by Anonymousreply 7905/02/2013

That house reminded me of Aaron Spelling's monstrosity of a house. Spelling grew up dirt poor on the wrong side of the tracks and probably built his huge mansion to prove that he was finally 'rich'. I'm wondering if David Siegel came from a very humble background as well. What else would possess someone to build such a ridiculous compound as a family home?

What also struck me about the setup was that the kids were seemingly getting no meaningful parental interaction. The narcissistic father was completely cold or remote most of the time and the ditzy mother was either in denial or just not giving much effort to help parent the kids.

At one point in the film she said something like, "I kept on having kids because we had so much help." What a strange and stupid reason to bring a child into the world.

With all of the money that they supposedly had back in the day, that place was a cultural wasteland. Those kids seemed bored and out of touch with 'real life' in a normal household.

It was sad to see all of the ridiculously-over the top things that their money went towards and yet there was nothing of substance emotionally for them to fall back on when the cash was gone. The parents did their kids no favors by showering them with excessive things but not investing in more time with them.

by Anonymousreply 8005/02/2013

So what happened to them after the documentary? Did they lose the house/business?

by Anonymousreply 8105/02/2013

No, in fact the building of their home has restarted. I have no idea what happened to the lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 8205/02/2013

r59, I did the same thing! My best friend and I went to Orlando and went to one of this guy's timeshare developments because they were handing out free Disney tickets if you sat through one of their spiels. We posed as a gay couple (LOL!!!) who was interested in adopting babies (Double LOL!!!) and wanted a time share near Disney for our future family.

Throughout the whole thing the saleslady couldn't have been nicer but then once we decided we weren't going to go through with it she turned on us like a light switch. Completely rolled her eyes at us and abruptly left the table without saying so much as a good bye. We would have been pissed if the whole thing wasn't such a spectacle. What a joke!

by Anonymousreply 8305/02/2013

The husband seemed like such a psycho. Completely checked out emotionally from his family. The non-relationship he had with his eldest son from a previous marriage was very telling. He doesn't deal with anyone unless he can get something out of the deal. When he hired his son as a VP at his company, it was the only time they even talked to each other and only about business.

The way he treated his new wife and children was horrible and I felt bad for Jackie because her asshole husband was emotionally abusing her. He lorded himself over everyone and whenever he didn't get his way he'd either bark orders or become silent and petulant like a 6 year old giving you the cold shoulder. Very strange behavior from a man his age.

The daughter totally called it when she said that he treated their mother like a doormat. I guess Jackie puts up with it for the money but that's no way to live, I don't care how much money you have.

by Anonymousreply 8405/02/2013

I simply don't get mega-houses. Fine, you can do anything with your money that you want (even if I think it's a waste), but what the fuck do you do with a house like that? It would be creepy with all the space that you're NOT in at any given time and the sheer distance from one end to the other. Lie living in a small shopping mall. Even if you have things you would use that take up space - an indoor pool, a high quality gym, an actual movie theater, a bowling alley, it still seems too big.

$100 million?!?! For much less than than, You could have a huge, but not freakish (let's say 10,000 sq foot) home in Florida where the business is based, a good-sized place in NYC, maybe a modest home somewhere on the West Coast, and maybe a home somewhere overseas.

by Anonymousreply 8505/02/2013

R84 when u marry for money, you earn every penny

by Anonymousreply 8605/02/2013

Constantly telling your wife that when she is 40 you are going to trade her in for two twenty year olds, has got to make her feel desperate to keep him happy.

by Anonymousreply 8706/18/2013

Off with 'er tits!

by Anonymousreply 8806/18/2013

I worked in the timeshare industry in Las Vegas, and OH the horror stories I could tell you. The company I worked for actually shuttled couples about three miles off the strip to where the actual timeshare property was. If you purchased, you'd be brought back to your hotel in a limo. If you didn't, there were instances where couples were made to WALK back. It is a gruesome industry, and I felt terrible for working in it.

Also, that Westgate tower he built next to Planet Hollywood (the ones he lost in the documentary) was the biggest fucking eyesore on the entire strip. Just fuck ugly.

by Anonymousreply 8906/18/2013

Maybe one of those Florida sinkholes will open up and pull the monstrosity into the bowels of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 9006/18/2013

I think it was on WWHL where she said they are "paying as they go" on that disgusting house of theirs. So even after making all that money, they're literally living paycheck to paycheck! The epitome of trash.

by Anonymousreply 9106/18/2013

90,000 square feet covered in dog shit and dead animals.

by Anonymousreply 9206/19/2013

Some of it was quite revealing. When he wanted to renew an 11 Million dollar loan he had with one bank and they refused, insisting he pay the full amount plus interest. So he had a friend approach the bank and buy the loan from them for 3 million (of his money), an 8 million dollar loss for the bank. No wonder the economy is fucked!

by Anonymousreply 9306/20/2013

Another satisfied Westgate customer!

by Anonymousreply 9406/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 9506/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!