Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Greek Yogurt

It smells bad, tastes worse, and gives you the runs. What is America's fascination with it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7406/22/2013

I eat it every morning. It tastes yummy, like sour cream. It's high in protein and contains healthy bacteria. Yogurt eaters live longer too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 107/17/2012

because it smell nice and fresh, tastes great and and is great for my digestion. that's why

by The Voice of the Nightreply 207/17/2012

I doctor it up with some berries or granola, a smidge of honey. SO good.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 307/17/2012

It keeps me full longer than regular yogurt, with the same number of calories (I buy the no-fat version).

I don't like yogurt in general, but it makes breakfast a lot easier.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 407/17/2012

I eat it because it reminds me of a Greek sailor I met on Rhodes. What a night that was!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 507/17/2012

Eat your yogurt, OP, and you won't be so full of shit.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 607/17/2012

Love yogurt, but can't get over Greek's thick texture.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 707/17/2012

I love it, but the one problem with it is that it is very high in sodium.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 807/17/2012

I with you voice. Ewwww....

by The Voice of the Nightreply 907/17/2012

not really, r8. A cup of Chobani vanilla yogurt has 75 mgs of sodium vs. a cup of Dannon All Natural vanilla yogurt with 105 mgs of sodium. Greek yogurt has twice as much protein.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1007/17/2012

VOTN, It's likely not the yogurt giving you the runs, it's probably a lack of enough fiber and drinking enough water. You sound as if you have problems that yogurt could help with. I love my Greek yogurt and eat it every day with fresh fruit.

I'm lactose intolerant and yogurt is about the only dairy I can eat. Do you eat the one with sugar in it? That may be what the problem is. Try plain 2% or 0% yogurt and add fruit.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1107/17/2012

How does it give you the runs? It actually helps to protect against that by increasing healthy bacteria in your system, which aids in digestion.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1207/17/2012

r10: That's too high for me. I always have to guzzle water after eating a cup of 0% Fage Yogurt. (65 mgs sodium).

But it really is soooo good. Unsweetened Full-fat Fage is like ice cream.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1307/17/2012

I prefer it to the Stonyfield/Dannon etc. plain or fruit.

Use it in place of sour cream, in smoothies, in vegetable purees, etc.

I think it's an acquired taste, and you certainly don't have to like it.

Taste buds work differently from mouth to mouth; some people taste cilantro as soap. I can't stand broccoli. It tastes rotten to me, even if it's fresh.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1407/17/2012

This is one of those cases where you may regret being authenticated.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1507/17/2012

r8/13, how many mgs of sodium do you take in a day?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1607/17/2012

It's good with rice. Greeks eat yogurt with their rice. Some parsley, diced carrots, rice, yogurt... Mm mm good.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1707/17/2012

It's on TV of course! And the best peeps eat it

Duh

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1807/17/2012

It costs more. It must be better.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1907/17/2012

r16, it's very odd. I'm trying very hard to cut my sodium intake to curb my high blood pressure (daily excercise is essential to help lower it), but for some reason of all the foods I eat I'm really suseptible to the salt in Fage non-fat plain yogurt. I love it, but it tastes salty. It dries my mouth out an hour after I eat it and have to drink a lot of water.

The only other thing that comes close are Boca Burgers which is like eating a huge shakerful of salt.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2007/17/2012

OP, you've never had it obviously.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2107/17/2012

r8/13/20 I am also on a low sodium diet (around 1200 - 1500 mgs) and have lowered my bp to a healthy level without medication and usually eat two yogurts a day. If you feel thirsty after eating yogurt you probably are dehydrated - make sure you are getting enough sodium AND potassium, especially during the hot weather so that you don't dehydrate.

The sodium in yogurt is naturally occuring - no added salt. It's less than in an egg, and so much healthier. Yogurt also has 500+ mgs of potassium.

Here's a link to a chart with nutrition content, including sodium and potassium of lots of fruits. Mix some up with yogurt and enjoy!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2207/17/2012

I think regular yogurt is gross now that I've gone Greek.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2307/17/2012

VOTN if you have a Fresh & Easy in your area, try their house brand. It's the same as eating whipped cream. Superb.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2407/17/2012

[quote]Greek yogurt has twice as much protein.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2507/17/2012

It's no big mystery: greek yogurt is much higher in saturated fat. It's the same reason people prefer ice cream to ice milk.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2607/17/2012

Not fat-free greek yogurt, R26.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2707/17/2012

[quote]greek yogurt is much higher in saturated fat.

Non-fat Greek yogurt is also far superior.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2807/17/2012

It's YOGURT, not smegma.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2907/17/2012

Non fat greek yogurt tastes like cardboard.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3007/17/2012

Thanks for the tip, r22! I appreciate it.

I'll try your suggestion today!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3107/17/2012

It's higher in protein and much thicker, so people think it tastes richer. I use it in cooking in place of sour cream. Also a small amount with pureed overripe banana, orange or other juice, and strawberriers or pineapple or melon or . . .

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3207/17/2012

I am lactose intolerant, and was surprised to see the LI poster here can handle it. Does anyone else eat it that normally cannot handle dairy?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3307/17/2012

I put a big scoop of non-fat greek yogurt in my smoothie every morning. I also started added a tablespoon of ground hemp seed to get more non-meat protein and omega 3's.

I am lactose intolerant as well (since age 32 or so) and I have no problem with the yogurt.

Recipe:

1 C fat free soy milk about 1/3 C fat free greek yogurt 1 T ground hemp seed 1 T agave necter 1/2 frozen banana 1/2 C other fresh frozen fruit

Today I used strawberries, but blueberries and peaches are yummy as well.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3407/17/2012

R34, Always hearing about these new trendy foods (hemp seeds, agave nectar) that "regular" stores don't carry. Are they worth the price? Or the latest fad?

If any of you are lactose sensitive, try eating it with whole grain toast or other carb/protein combo. Works for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3507/17/2012

Berry Greek yogurt and Marantha sunflower butter or almond butter. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3607/17/2012

If you live near a Russian speaking community, ask one of them where you can find kefir. Tell them you want the real stuff, preferably homemade. Drink up. It's so fermented, it's slightly alcoholic. I'm sure you will love it, OP.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3707/17/2012

You can buy kefir in any good supermarket now, R37. You can also buy kefir "grains" online to make it at home. I've made my own for years now. You're right, it's delicious and very refreshing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3807/17/2012

Activia!!!!!!!!!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3907/17/2012

Trader Joe carries it, and I love the blueberry.

Keeps me tight and bright!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4007/17/2012

I bought a jumbo bag of ground hemp seed at Costco for about $12. Great prices on quinoa, too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4107/17/2012

Nonfat Greek Yogurt is the best. It's good for you, double the protein and no fat. And it's got culture!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4207/17/2012

Fage is the best - the nonfat is so smooth, so delicious. I know I sound like an ad, but it really is wonderful.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4307/17/2012

R43. I agree.

The Greek yogurt "Fage" is pronounced "Fay-ya."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4407/17/2012

I know this is not a commercial, but I even mix in the non fat yogurt (Fage, the big tubs from Costco) in with sour cream on my baked potato to give it some tang.

I also use it with lemon juice and relish to make tuna salad. It doesn't have the fatty mouth feel of a mayo-based salad, but there are no redeeming qualities in mayonnaise. Just fat and cholesteral.

Once you get used to it you can make tuna salad that is good for you and enjoy it.

Also I make a dessert with a scoop of the yogurt, with honey, walnuts and cinnamon on top. One of my friends had seconds! But she is an admitted Fat Ass...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4507/17/2012

Speaking of Costco, here in the LA area, Costco has started selling "fully loaded baked potato salad" and it's really not half bad. The stuff seems to be made with sour cream and with the bacon and stuff, I know I would eat more than I should. I just tasted the stuff a few dozen times, but I didn't buy any.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4607/17/2012

R46. All the fat asses are on the freeway right now heading to Costo for their fully loaded baked potato salad.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4707/17/2012

I tried Dannon Oikos with fruit on the bottom. It was not like any yogurt I've ever had. It was really too rich to eat--the fruit preserves were too sweet and the yogurt was like eating straight creme fraiche.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4807/17/2012

Mmmm but John Stamos likes it...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4907/17/2012

I assume you all know that "Greek yogurt" is nothing more than regular yogurt with the whey (watery part) strained out.

You can make it yourself, buy yogurt put dump it on some cheesecloth and strain the whey out.

The more cheesecloth and the more times you strain it the thicker it becomes

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5007/17/2012

[quote]I am lactose intolerant, and was surprised to see the LI poster here can handle it. Does anyone else eat it that normally cannot handle dairy?

No, but I read an article recently on this very topic. I forget the reason, but apparently it's quite common for LI types to be able to consume Greek yogurt without GI distress. I think it has something to do with the enzymes in the yogurt itself. Like others, I'm curious why it apparently gives VOTN the runs; I've *never* heard of that happening, and I know a lot of Greek yogurt fans.

Btw I eat it (Fage nonfat) mixed with blueberries and nutty granola four or five times a week, either for breakfast or as a post-workout protein boost. I'm on a diet and it's helped me lose close to 20 pounds thus far, along with sensible eating besides that coupled with exercise.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5107/17/2012

I can eat and drink anything and be fine. And I'm thin as a rail and never gain weight. Some people (ME!) are just genetically lucky.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5207/17/2012

Lucky you R52.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5307/17/2012

But everyone hates you, R52.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5407/17/2012

[quote]It keeps me full longer than regular yogurt

Attention everyone. R4 MUST be full. She must be full at ALL times.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5507/17/2012

[quote]Like others, I'm curious why it apparently gives VOTN the runs; I've *never* heard of that happening, and I know a lot of Greek yogurt fans.

I'm not entirely sure myself, I thought it might have been the milk fats in it that was interfering with my lack of gallbladder, but maybe it was something unrelated.

I decided to give another go and went for some non-fat/low-fat Chobani yogurt when it was on sale. The peach kind is definitely less objectionable to strawberry of blueberry or whatever I had the first time, but I also know that when I looked at the label, it was almost pure sugar.

I also got one of the Oikos kind to try, but we'll see.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5607/19/2012

chobani lemon is awesome!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5707/19/2012

R52 but research shows that people like you who 'can' eat anything you want tend to want no more than you need.

Thin people who 'eat everything' eat fewer calories than fat people 'who look at a cookie and gain weight' in fact the thin eat far fewer calories.

You want what you need. Were you to eat more than your body needs you too would gain weight.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5807/19/2012

I got over it. I don't dislike it, except the plain, which is too much like sour cream for me. I just don't think it's worth the price.

I like Stonyfield organic plain with poppyseeds mixed in and honey drizzled over it, with a few berries. Lovely.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5907/19/2012

I had no idea you could buy loose poppyseeds, live and learn. Did anyone try the Trader Joe's version of Fage?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6007/19/2012

Chobani yogurt is on sale at the grocery store (Shop & Stop and Shoprite) for $1 all the time. I love the pineapple, lemon, black cherry and pomegranate.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6107/19/2012

[quote][T]here are no redeeming qualities in mayonnaise. Just fat and cholesteral. (sic)

Nonsense. Good mayonnaise has egg and, in my case, olive oil. Eggs are one of the healthiest foods in the world.

Everything in moderation, Priscilla.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6207/19/2012

John Stamos' bubblicious ass, that is America's fascination with greek yoghurt.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6307/19/2012

I'm lactose intolerant and I also have to watch my sugar. I eat Fage 0% plain yogurt. (The big tubs from Costco) I add fresh fruit to it, and I never have any problems.

I also eat cottage cheese. No problem. One thing I know is that as we get older we need probiotics and possibly a fiber supplement.

I take 20 million dosage strain of probiotics (from Costco pharmacy) and my Psyllium supplement from GNC and I'm good to go. I'm 43.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6407/19/2012

For the person who mentioned that you can make your own greek yogurt - how long does it take to strain it? The greek yogurt I see for sale in the store does seem too expensive for what it is, seems it would make more sense to buy plain yogurt and strain it yourself.

Anyone else have more recipes/ways to use greek yogurt? I really need to consume more calcium, but I get tired of eating yogurt as-is more than a couple times a week.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6507/19/2012

Would love to taste John Stamos' Greek yogurt.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6607/19/2012

R65: I drain it overnight (or 8 hours) -- the longer the better, but that's plenty. Just be sure the yogurt doesn't have gelatin, which prevents the separation that's needed for draining. I get Mountain High Yoghurt at Costco -- either full fat or fat free or low fat, they're all nice & creamy after draining. I freeze the drained too, works fine.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6707/19/2012

I like regular yogurt.

Greek yogurt is vile. It's like eating sour cream. Disgusting.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6807/19/2012

Thanks, R67.

Does it freeze well? I've never tried freezing yogurt before.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6907/19/2012

It's only good for making raita. Other than that, yogurt (of any sort) sucks. Period.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7007/19/2012

I LOVE the lemon creme Greek yogurt from Kroger.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7106/22/2013

I like Fage. Then I tried Wallaby organic low fat greek yogurt. So delicious. 23 grams of protein per serving. I have it with chopped fresh figs, cinnamon, and some walnuts when I feel like having something sweet. I also use it to make low cal salad dressings with lime and cilantro.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7206/22/2013

Spanakopita!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7306/22/2013

Shit.

I though I was prelubing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7406/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.