Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lainey Gossip

I find her the most obnoxious gossip blogger out there. Where did she come from and how does she have column that people actually read? She never has any interesting gossip or insider knowledge. Most of the time she just rants about her favorite stars (usually about 20 years too young for her) while tearing apart the ones she has some kind of beef or dislike for. She's like an out of control, delusional teenage fangurl with an LJ account. Except she think she's an entertainment journalist.

And she 'ins' MANY celebrities, including Jake G and Kristen Stewart (those are the most glaring ones at least).

Can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 6708/02/2013

IA OP, and she makes it very obvious that she's a paid studio shill for a lot of movies she gets "excited" about, too.

She makes Carina Mackenzie on Zap2It seem sane, intelligent and articulate. But both of them are desperate tryhards.

by Anonymousreply 107/16/2012

After she "believed" and "promoted" the JakeG and Taylor romance, I knew she was a 100% fake!

by Anonymousreply 207/16/2012

Here is Lainey's latest entry. She's practically foaming at the mouth in defense of her number one favorite actress, Kristen Stewart )who is HETEROSEXUAL AND HAVING HETEROSEXUAL SEX WITH HER HETEROSEXUAL BOYFRIEND. Remember that!) She's INSANE (and probably paid to write this garbage).

Need some comic relief this Monday morning? You can thank Ashley Greene for it. This item appeared in the NY Post yesterday. I’ve decided to include the entire article for maximum amusement:

Greene is really about to be the color of money. For the past four years, “Twilight” siren Kristen Stewart needed a garlic necklace of her own to avoid the immense amount of press requests and fashion houses longing to pin her face to their hot campaigns. Now the quiet bloodsucker in the background, Ashley Greene, is getting top billing. She’s currently gracing the cover of Cosmopolitan’s “Hot Issue” after landing on the front of Lucky, Women’s Health and a handful of other titles. “[Stewart] is no longer the poster girl for ‘Twilight.’ The industry has fallen in love with Greene, who is being hunted down by producers for several upcoming roles,” an insider says. Greene is about to really cash in with three new films including the much-buzzed “CBGB,” on the New York punk scene and the venerable club. Execs at major fashion houses are drooling over her upcoming fall DKNY Jeans campaign. “Prada is one of many ready to pony up far more than the standard $20 million payday to land [Greene],” our source said. And all this before the last installment of "Twilight" hits theaters in mid-November.--

Joseph Barracato was the poor writer assigned to that story. I wonder if he didn’t have to self-medicate to get through it. For the entertainment reporter there are those days - and I know them well - when you have to fight the urge to say to your editor/producer “Please, God, no, do I have to?” Then you close your eyes and accept your fate. No one will remember, right? No one will blame me, right?

No, Joseph, we don’t blame you.

We blame no one.

Because this sh-t, this sh-t is FUNNY.

Ashley Greene is about to dethrone Kristen Stewart??? The same Kristen Stewart who just won the box office this summer with a non-Twilight film and is about to claim yet another mega money franchise all while somehow maintaining her small movie credibility - that Kristen Stewart? Kristen Stewart can get any meeting she wants to in Hollywood, no problem. Ashley Greene couldn’t f-ck her way into most meetings, let alone the kind of meetings Stewart takes, and does, but only discriminately. Kristen Stewart doesn’t have to stop eating.

I know there are those of you who aren’t enamoured with Stewart. Fine. I get that. But like her or not, you are also not an idiot. You know that right now, by the Hollywood grading system, it doesn’t get higher than Kristen Stewart. She currently lives in the penthouse with Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence. No doubt you find both of them more agreeable.

In other words, this mentally unstable New York Post article is trying to tell you that Ashley Greene, a third tier Twilight cast member who “dated” a Jonas Vagina Virgin, is synonymous with Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 407/16/2012

How can an article be "mentally unstable?" Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 607/16/2012

R5 = Lainey.

by Anonymousreply 707/16/2012

Op, she appeals to grown ass adults who think and act just like her. It's pretty funny that she's managed to parlay her BS into a career. lol.

by Anonymousreply 807/16/2012

"She's from Vancouver."

Which is proof that she knows nothing. How much insider gossip are you going to come across when you live in fucking Vancouver?

by Anonymousreply 907/16/2012

[quote]Which is proof that she knows nothing. How much insider gossip are you going to come across when you live in fucking Vancouver?

Exactly. Not a whole lot happens there. I lived there when Lainey started up her gossip site, and learned about it via a friend of mine who was friends with her.

When she started the gossip site, Lainey was a social worker (worked at the Vancouver Covenant House, which is for homeless teens) she and had no film/TV industry experience, just a couple of friends who were film/TV crewpeople.

by Anonymousreply 1007/16/2012

[quote]Lainey was a social worker

Oh dear god.

by Anonymousreply 1107/16/2012

You've obviously never seen me, my yellow hair, or my gloved hands!

by Anonymousreply 1207/16/2012

I think the site has obvious shilling mixed with truth. I can see how her style would be grating to some. I always check it, but skim over the "JakeyG" articles and the like.

by Anonymousreply 1307/16/2012

So Lainey knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2012

I like her. She isn't all cryptic like Ted and when she actually knows something she says so. She has never hesitated in calling out a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 1607/16/2012

"She isn't all cryptic like Ted and when she actually knows something she says so."

Claiming to know things and actually knowing things are two different things...

by Anonymousreply 1707/16/2012

Are we the only ones to mock her? Her passionate defense of Kristen Stewart should be bizarre to others in the gossip community. Has Michael K. ever mocked her?

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2012

No, r18. Michael K never mocks other bloggers from what I can tell. And dlisted & Lainey's site seem to have a reciprocal agreement where they each post a link from the other's blog every day.

r17 - Why do you think she knows nothing? Plenty of things are filmed in Vancouver, so it's irrational to claim that's a reason she wouldn't know anything. Plus she's been working for a Canadian gossip show for years now and travels to major entertainment events regularly. It's perfectly feasible that she'd have developed a network of sources.

The Kristin Stewart stuff is pure shilling, of course, but I suppose that's how she keeps her tv job.

by Anonymousreply 1907/16/2012

That Marchesa she wore at the London premiere of Snow White And The Huntsman was horsesh-t. Click here if you need a reminder and want to shudder. But I wondered at the time if she was saving her load for her first splash at Cannes.

Check out Stewart at the On The Road photo call today in Balenciaga pants.

I mean...

THIS is what this girl can do with original, inspired clothing. Kristen Stewart has all the physical attributes. THESE are the kinds of pieces that do her justice.

As for On The Road, as noted earlier, though I have some issues with the film itself, the performances were outstanding, all of them. For most of the young actors, On The Road features their best work to date. Tom Sturridge is incredible as Carlo Marx/Allen Ginsberg, at once vulnerable and light, cheeky but unforgiving. He was mesmerising every time he came on. I really wish they’d give him more chances. Because there’s a lot of raw talent here that we’re missing out on. Sam Riley was strong too, overshadowed perhaps by Garrett Hedlund (we’ll get to him later), but more than adequate in his role (although I was too distracted by how much he looks like a cross between Pete Doherty and Chris Noth). And then there’s the fearless Stewart in her finest and most aggressive effort, throwing down a very impressive challenge to some of her peers, almost as though she was toying with them before - what Twilight? I just didn’t feel like showing you my arsenal before, but now that I have...aren’t you afraid?

In On The Road Stewart’s MaryLou is angry, sexy, innocent, corrupt, and very tangible all at the same time. Hers is a challenging energy that confronts you during every scene. I’ve never believed her so much as a character. Recently it’s her work in the upcoming Snow White And The Huntsman that’s been getting the most attention as a showcase for her abilities beyond Twilight. Stewart was good ok in Snow White. But she is magnificent in On The Road. Wait for it.

by Anonymousreply 2007/16/2012

I find Ted's crypticness amusing.

My introduction to Lainey was as someone commenting on celebrities, I didn't even realize she was suppose to be a gossip columnist until years later.

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2012

For years she went on and on and on about how Justin Timberlake was just using Jessica biel for sex. How they weren't really dating, just fucking. How he didn't like her and she was a psycho who was stalking him.

And now they're engaged

by Anonymousreply 2207/16/2012

If I remember correctly she was all about Jake G and Taylor Swift, when even my blind grandmother could tell they were a PR concoction.

by Anonymousreply 2307/16/2012

I had no idea that that blog got her a job on television. What a lucky bitch. I enjoy her blog when she talks about encounters with celebs and what they look/act like in person. She does tend to get really worked up over some average looking celebs, but whatever. It was interesting to read that Megan Fox (at the height of her sex symbol popularity) was not that pretty in person.

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2012

[quote]but whatever. It was interesting to read that Megan Fox (at the height of her sex symbol popularity) was not that pretty in person.

I don't read Lainey that often but doesn't she usually only expose the 'truth' about a celebrity when she either doesn't like them or doesn't have access to the star or their PR person? So OF COURSE she would say Megan Fox isn't as pretty in person. I very much doubt she'd say something like that about Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 2507/17/2012

She prints what her employers tell her to.

Once her credibility falls to zero, they will replace her with another person and the game continues.

It is the fault of humans to trust new people until proven otherwise, so by constantly swapping out columnists, the spin keeps going.

The Soviets did this during the cold war, they had new reporters constantly introduced when the old reporters lost their credibility.

by Anonymousreply 2607/17/2012

she sounds like some dumb 14yr old robsten fangirl..

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2012

She's an odd self loathing person. In her early posts, she waxed rhapsodic about Gwyneth Paltrow's nose, and Avril Lavigne's nose, and now it's Blake Lively's breasts. She's obsessed with thin blonde girls because, being an Asian girl, she wishes she were white. She kisses up to Gwyneth and Cate Blanchett in her posts with the most embarrassing "Please let me be white" nonsense--something that a woman who is almost 40 ought to be past doing.

Then there are her embarrassing references to Asian female audiences (as in--women who are actually in Asia) as behaving like "Hello Kitties." When she is discriminated against for being Asian, she's shocked. Shocked I tell you! *She* is a special Asian girl. One who could be friends with the blonde girls and who isn't supposed to be brushed aside like a "Hello Kitty." She has a strange and secretive sense of elitism.

Hence her hyper vigilance of the behavior of celebrities--most of whom are Caucasian. She has a thing for Brits--praises nearly all of them. That could also be a Canadian thing--loathing the American celebrities, and praising the British ones.

She also has this whole "I'm a bitch. No, really, I'm a bitch. No really" way of writing that seems to have become rampant among people a decade younger than she is--like she's trying to ape the Jezebel crowd. It's artificial. I suppose she manages to connect with her mostly female audience. But what's she going to do at 50? Be like Madonna-whom she mocks--and continue to pretend to be a tween?

Having said all that--she writes better than most gossip columnists--a reflection, I suppose, of the superior Canadian education system. But what a strange and insecure woman to engage in all this self-Asian-loathing, and then to work as social worker, and then to become a gossip columnist. She's smart enough to know that her job is shallow--hence I think all the bitchy posturing.

At least Ted C never pretended to be anything other than what he was.

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2012

I loved her in My Big Fat Greek Wedding

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2012

She calls Asian women "Hello Kitties?" What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2012

Asian self loathing? Oh my. She comes across as being proud of her heritage, her roots, her parents and decrypts Asian culture to outsiders in a way that's endearing and amusing. She does not want to be the rich blonde girl, however she identifies that the rich blonde girl has a very privileged place in Hollywood. As most women, she will admire another woman's breasts, hair, etc. This does not make her hate herself any less. As a curly haired brunette, I am in love with Jen Aniston's hair but I certainly don't hate myself.

I'm a longtime reader of Lainey, as I am of CDAN, DataLounge, and others. What I like about her blog is that she has personality and a unique voice. She has her irrational loves and hates, her biases and she changes her mind about things and people as most of us do. Her BIs are great, the way she takes the time to explain how the system works are great, and her general snarkiness is amusing. Her ads are transparent She's not for everyone, and I don't think she acts like a rabid fangirl. Believe it or not, there are a lot of women in her age group who behave similarly and are just as invested in their fave celebs. I know this because I belong to a Lainey fangroup, the members are from their teens to late 40s. It's amusing and all in fun.

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2012

An interview with George Stroumboulopoulos, I find her more likable here than I usually do.

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2012

Lainey has a fangroup?

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2012

R31 = Lainey(self-loathing Asian)

by Anonymousreply 3407/17/2012

That video is awful--the strange valley girl mouth on a grown adult....shudders.

And she has a fan group? Well of course she does. She's a gossip!

by Anonymousreply 3507/18/2012

Hi R31 - Sorry, not Lainey.

by Anonymousreply 3607/18/2012

Oops, that was meant for R34.

by Anonymousreply 3707/18/2012

Lainey called Kristen Stewart a bitch when she met her first on the Twilight set back when they filmed the first film. She said that Stewart acted as if she's better than the rest of the cast and was arrogant. A year later Lainey changed her tune completely and started selling that Robsten-showmance and the heterosexuallity of Kristen Stewart.

She is paid and it's easy to spot by who. Stewart, Gyllenhaal are her main clients. She also says Renner and Cooper are straight. I mean who believes that shit...

by Anonymousreply 3807/18/2012

I'm surprised more people don't call Lainey out on her bullshit. I mean, does she have any legit gossip? Her blog consists of either blatant fangurling and shilling or just made up bullshit, like the above item about Justin Timberlake and the 'stalking' 'psycho' Jessica Biel.

by Anonymousreply 3907/18/2012

R38, that's innacurrate. Lainey went from thinking Kristen Stewart was "dull" to liking her (and calling her a bitch in a complementary way) pretty quickly. Which isn't to say Lainey isn't being paid to gush over Stewart. Just that your account of Lainey's comments is wrong.

Her biggest turnaround that I've noticed is when she went from loving to hating James Franco.

by Anonymousreply 4007/18/2012

She thinks Renner is straight? Oy.

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2012

Lainey spends more time cleaning up after Stewart whenever she offends someone in interviews than she does to sell Gyllenhaal as straight. It's too obvious.

Yes, she swears Cooper and Renner are straight.

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2012

I don't mind Lainey at all. She "interprets" gossip. I view her column as more her opinion than anything else. Whether you chose to accept it or not, she does have much better sources now than she did at first.

She's a TV personality in Canada, and she gets to go on press junkets and interview people, etc. She talks with her colleagues from other news outlets and they compare notes and share rumors.

I think she can be fun. I like it that she is so open about her likes and dislikes. Especially her take on James Franco and Justin Timberlake. I also think she accurately reflects the feelings of a lot of us who are bi-polar with a strange kind of love/hate thing when it comes to Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2012

Lainey=Ted C=Michael K=Michael Musto=Perez Hilton

Insufferable all of them. I can drift in and out when I am seeking a specific story but I could never commit to reading any of them on a regular basis. Talk about brain-drain!

PS: You gossipy queens of DL are not much better either.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2012

Michael K is strictly snarky commentary. He doesn't have any gossip, nor does he pretend to.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2012

Michael K is consistently hilarious and doesn't pretend to be anything else. Lainey used to be vaguely amusing with some of her celeb names: GMD, Grannie Freeze etc but doesn't even bother with that anymore. Her blog was fun up until a couple years ago when she clearly sold out and also started getting her husband and friends to write for her. Like I give a shit what her husband thinks about anything.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2012

Her husband is super hot, gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2012

Michael K is the King of diminishing returns. He gets progressively annoying and predictable with each article you read. You just know there'll be a bad quiff joke, mention of chonnies and copious "slut" jokes.

And he is unreadable unless you are already aware of the story he is snarking on. I've truly grown to detest that little Queen.

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2012

The Stewart shilling is some of the most blatant I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2012

The article at R4 wasn't very good but I did appreciate this line:

[quote]Ashley Greene, a third tier Twilight cast member who “dated” a Jonas Vagina Virgin,

So true. JJ is only a virgin in the sense that he hasn't seen a snatch since he popped out of his ol' mammy's.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2012

I was shocked to find out she's actually hot.

I picture all gossip columnists as ugly, middle aged busybodies.

Pretty bold of her to name names in public, even if it wasn't online (the gay/bi actor exes, and I don't care enough to refresh my memory).

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2012

[quote]Lainey went from thinking Kristen Stewart was "dull" to liking her (and calling her a bitch in a complementary way) pretty quickly.

Well, it's good to know that feminine little flower didn't let fame change her one bit!

by Anonymousreply 5207/18/2012

I find Michael K's constant gay sexual references a bit tiresome, but nobody can match the spot on, hilarious descriptors he comes up with that capture the essence of whatever person, situation, or photo he is expounding upon. ;) As far as Lainey doing a 180 on her opinion of Franco....didn't we all?

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2012

[quote]I like her. She isn't all cryptic like Ted ... She has never hesitated in calling out a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 5407/19/2012

[quote]I've truly grown to detest that little Queen.

Cut it out, Bibby. You'd put him over a chair and make him see stars if he winked at you.

by Anonymousreply 5507/19/2012

Lainey can't hold a candle to the fabulous Jeannette Walls.

by Anonymousreply 5607/19/2012

I love reading this younggay threads.

They're so fresh and exciting.

by Anonymousreply 5707/19/2012

Gossip columnists PRETEND to give you the insight of what's going on in celebrity media. Even TMZ only covers stuff that is arranged in business deals beforehand (which celebs are off limits and which are fair game). Musto or Ted C (well, at least a couple of weeks ago) are employees who have to answer to their editor for what they write about and it better doesn't clash with any agenda or any media business arrangement the newspaper / media outlets have with movie and TV studios.

Little dirty secret: Talent agencies take on some lesser known clients (with some dirty little secret) only to be used as sacrificial lambs when some bigger clients screw up and they offer the less worthy client to be put through gossip rag hell so the big client gets off the hook. Of course the sacrificial lamb is promised something in return like a role or some other deal (which sometimes never materializes, but what can a no-name do?).

by Anonymousreply 5807/19/2012

"Lainey can't hold a candle to the fabulous Jeannette Walls."

Jeanette Walls never took out her issues on celebrities--never played tgis "I'm superior but I'm not I really wish I were GOOP but will pretemd that I don't: nonsense the plagues Lainey and her followers.

by Anonymousreply 5907/19/2012

Insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6007/22/2012

Writes about the fanfic in her head and not actual gossip. Her favorites seem to be Jake Gyllenhaal, Blake Lively and Kristen Stewart. Either she must get paid or she's delusional and demented.

Doesn't really seem to have much gossip, she just writes her opinions, which are usually completely divorced from reality, either because she has some kind of blind hatred for a star (for some reason she HATES Chris Evans), or again, she's all fangurl slobbering (like her assurance that Kristen Stewart will one day win an Oscar).

Yeah, OK.

by Anonymousreply 6103/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

other thread

by Anonymousreply 6306/23/2013

I find it hilarious that Micheal Fassbender was rude/ignored her at a party once. Apparently it put a damper on her fangirling.

by Anonymousreply 6406/23/2013

She is obviously being paid for good PR. I don't like her, she often makes very low brow comments, particularly about women's physical appearance. She is just a proof of how much the entertainment industry is about media manipulation. She should allow people to make comments about what she blogs about, just to expose her fake, shady ass.

by Anonymousreply 6508/02/2013

[quote]And she 'ins' MANY celebrities, including Jake G and Kristen Stewart (those are the most glaring ones at least).

Well to be fair they neither help themselves do they, partaking in muddling bearding and obvious PR stunts.

Why is his industry so fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 6608/02/2013

She can't write for shit. I don't think any of them can, except Musto.

by Anonymousreply 6708/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!