Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING BAD - Season 5/Episode 1 "Live Free or Die"

New season premieres tonight!

by I am the Danger!reply 46305/04/2013

Since Mad Men is done for now I am glad to have something else to look forward to watching on Sunday nights.

by I am the Danger!reply 107/15/2012

So its clear that at some point, Walter will lose a member of his family. Will it be Skyler or Walter Jr?

I predict Walter Jr., which will be the final nail in the coffin to Walt and Skyler. And I think he'll die in front of Walt, slowly.

by I am the Danger!reply 207/15/2012

Has it actually been spoiled that a member of his family will be killed off? I don't see anything happening to Skyler; most of the audience wouldn't care.

I'm thinking that Walt will eventually kill Jesse, which would complete his character transformation.

by I am the Danger!reply 307/15/2012

I don't think I could handle it if Walt killed Jesse. I know that Walt is toxic to Jesse (as he is to pretty much everyone who knows him, especially his family), but I still am fascinated by their relationship.

A lot of fans are actually predicting the reverse, and that Jesse will be the last man standing, but I get nervous with those writers. You just never know what direction they're going to go.

And I don't think it's that clear, R2. I feel like Walt Jr. dying would be expected in any other drama, but not this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walt killed Hank, though (although I've seen a few people suggest that its Marie who figures out that Walt's gone a bit hinkey and he kills her. Now THAT would be a twist!)

by I am the Danger!reply 407/15/2012

Can't beat free! And a $100 tip...

by I am the Danger!reply 507/15/2012

I hope it's Jesse who kills Walt, not the other way around. I fucking hate Walter White now.

And I agree that it'll be Walt Jr. who winds up getting killed due to Walt's stupidity and hubris.

by I am the Danger!reply 607/15/2012

I've never liked the character of Jesse and wouldn't much care if he died. I still like WW.

by I am the Danger!reply 707/15/2012

Walter is going to die of his cancer. Jesse may die, but it won't be because of Walt. No on is going to die in Walt's family.

by I am the Danger!reply 807/15/2012

Agree that Jesse's a douche. Cranston brings so much soul to Walt that I'll always be invested in him.

I haven't heard the speculation that Walt will off Marie, but it fits with Vince Gilligan stating that she'll have an enhanced role this season.

by I am the Danger!reply 907/15/2012

Mad Men episode threads get hundreds of posts. And nothing ever happens on that show.

by I am the Danger!reply 1007/15/2012

Walt took a pill in his flashforward. That couldn't have been good. I just don't want Hank to win. But it looks like the ultimate punishment to Walt would be Walter Jr thinking Hank is the ultimate badass. I still cheer for the Whites and Jesse and of course Saul.

by I am the Danger!reply 1107/16/2012

Poor dumb Ted.

by I am the Danger!reply 1207/16/2012

What happened to Gus ?

by I am the Danger!reply 1307/16/2012

Gus dead. Very.

by I am the Danger!reply 1407/16/2012

Aww, at the framed photo of Gus and Max. He never stopped loving him!!

I loved Mike before, but he was fantastic in this episode. His 'aww, Jesse' delivered with such weariness--Jonathan Banks is so great.

Magnets, bitch!

by I am the Danger!reply 1507/16/2012

It was a low-key episode...and so many lines were predictable.

"You're done when I say you're done".

by I am the Danger!reply 1607/16/2012

I wonder why a simple picture was in evidence?

by I am the Danger!reply 1707/16/2012

[quote]Agree that Jesse's a douche. Cranston brings so much soul to Walt that I'll always be invested in him.

Walter White may be the more interesting character, but Aaron Paul is far the better actor.

by I am the Danger!reply 1807/16/2012

It's not a zero-sum proposition, but I can't agree with you there.

On a more relevant note, episode 4 is titled "51," presumably for WW's birthday, so I guess we can assume Walt is a fugitive on his 52nd birthday in the flash-forward scene at the beginning of last night's ep. I hope the assault weapon is intended for Hank.

by I am the Danger!reply 1907/16/2012

I fell asleep. I've never watched Breaking Bad with commercial interruption before. I've watched it on Netflix and Amazon Instant. There were way too many commercials.

I wonder if it is On Demand. I'll check this week and if it is, I will stop watching it on "regular cable" and watch it On Demand with limited interruption.

by I am the Danger!reply 2007/16/2012

R20, I just DVR it and then fast-forward through the commercials. You're right that they really do interrupt the flow and are incredibly annoying.

R16, did you really find the episode low key? I thought it was pretty fast-paced, and the whole magnet scenario was hilarious.

From ComicCon reports, this is going to be a "very, very dark season". It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the unspoken mandate to keep Walter's immediate family alive. Like others, I assume Hank's family will be the target, but it would be ironic if Walter and Skylar's kids ended up being raised by Hank and Marie, either because the Whites are killed off or imprisoned.

I guess Saul needs to survive if Gilligan is talking about giving him a spinoff, but everyone else is up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Skyler take the kids and combine forces with the Shraders to take Walt down. She momentarily got off on his outlaw enterprise and the crazy profits, but now that she's been forced to face his violence and hubris, I think she won't be able to live with him. She's got the carwash to support the family, and Walt's become a huge liability.

by I am the Danger!reply 2107/16/2012

[quote]Walt took a pill in his flashforward. That couldn't have been good.

It looks like he's definitely on the run (as opposed to witness protection), so he probably couldn't seek any treatment related to his cancer even if he wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if he dies alone of pneumonia or something.

You just know that he'll lose his family, although I don't think anyone necessarily needs to die. He's been claiming that everything was for his family (not his ego) all along, so I can see him losing the ability to ever see them, or losing their hearts and minds completely.

[quote]She's got the carwash to support the family, and Walt's become a huge liability.

That asset is probably going to get seized when Walt is found out.

by I am the Danger!reply 2207/16/2012

[quote] I loved Mike before, but he was fantastic in this episode. His 'aww, Jesse' delivered with such weariness--Jonathan Banks is so great.

I totally agree! I think the moment when Gus, Mike and Saul entered the picture in season three that made a great show into a brilliantly flawless one. Jonathan Banks' Mike is a type of character straight out of an Elmore Leonard novel, full of street wisdom, and an ass-kicking back-up man when needed, it's his sardonic sense of humor that makes him so likable than your usual "goon." The only time I can think of Jonathan Banks' being better was in the Half Measure episode in season three where he gave this wonderful, Leonardesque monologue that was so well executed by Banks I could do nothing but rewind it again in sheer admiration of the writing and acting.

Was it me or did any of you guys catch the Tarantino references with the camera shot in the trunk? The show often pays homage to two of its biggest influences the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino, but that one was more obvious than usual.

I enjoyed tonight's episode. It's the only television show I can think of that keeps me at the edge of my seat because I can never predict how things will play out. I can't wait to see where Gilligan will take the show.

by I am the Danger!reply 2307/16/2012

Shocked to see Ted survived. He tells Skyler he won't say anything, you just know we'll see more of him.

Wonder what happens with Mike? I was kinda hoping he would take out Walt when the are playing their game of chicken.

by I am the Danger!reply 2407/16/2012

Finally caught this to see what the fuss is about, was completely underwhelmed.

by I am the Danger!reply 2507/16/2012

R25, you do know the show is a soap opera? You don't even know what you were looking at. I find your stupidity sort of glaring.

I liked how panicky Mike seemed when he said "You have no idea what you've done" re the death of Gus. If even the Mexican cartel deferred to him he was a badass.

by I am the Danger!reply 2607/16/2012

What happened to Ted again? I forget.

by I am the Danger!reply 2707/16/2012

I did too, R27. This is what I found:

Season 4

The IRS catches up with the irregularities in the Beneke books, which not only threatens to bankrupt Ted but could also send him to prison. He tries to get help from Skyler, who now runs the car wash, but she refuses. When Ted meets with the IRS, Skyler unexpectedly shows up acting like an incompetent bimbo to make the IRS think that Ted's bookkeeping problems are due to her ignorance. This saves him from jail assuming he pays $600,000 in back taxes and fines, which is more money than he has ("Bug").

Miraculously, Ted is called to Saul Goodman's office to receive $600,000 from the estate of his "Great-Aunt Birgit" who lived in Luxembourg. Ted doesn't recognize the name, but takes the money and immediately leases a new, expensive Mercedes and makes preparations to reopen Beneke Fabricators. Unknown to him, the money is actually from Skyler and is supposed to pay his IRS debt("Salud").

When Skyler tells him where the money really came from, Ted tries to return the money supposedly because it's the right thing to do, but possibly because he's blackmailing Skyler for an even greater sum. Skyler contacts Saul for help, who sends his "A-Team", Huell and Kuby, to Ted's home to force him to sign the check for the IRS and then keep him company at home for a few days until the check clears. Panicked, Ted runs past Huell in an effort to escape from the house, but trips on an area rug, crashing headfirst into a piece of furniture. It appears that he may have broken his neck, but as of the end of the episode, his status is unconfirmed. Later in the episode Walter returns to Saul Goodman's office, where Huell and Kuby are already present. Upon seeing Walter, Saul exclaims "How the hell did you find out so quickly?" implying that Ted may be dead or severely injured

by I am the Danger!reply 2807/16/2012

Ted tripped on a rug and smashed his head against the kitchen cabinet, breaking his neck.

by I am the Danger!reply 2907/16/2012

[quote]Has it actually been spoiled that a member of his family will be killed off? I don't see anything happening to Skyler; most of the audience wouldn't care.

I strongly disagree: she's the most compelling character on the show aside from Walter and Jesse, at least now that Gus is dead. The only regular character they could kill off and have fans not give a shit is arguably Marie, and many (myself included) would be happy if they did so since she's such an annoying OCD cunt.

Btw keep in mind that this season is split into two, with the second half airing next season, so we might not be getting an answer to the Walter flash-forward for a substantial amount of time. Given his coughing fit and the medicine he's taking, I'm assuming his cancer has returned at whatever future point it transpired -- his face also looked substantially older, at least IMO, so this could be years from present-day. Also, it sounds like the direction they'll be going in this season is having Walt take over for Gus as the meth kingpin of the Southwest. Btw remember that Gus already took out the Mexican cartel himself (though this does not at all mesh with reality, considering the strength of the two main Mexican gangs, the Sinaloas and the Zetas), so I don't know if they'll be encountering resistance on that front. Personally, I'd like to see Walt go up against more regional American gangs, maybe something akin to the ones depicted on "Justified."

And yes, I noticed the Tarantino reference in regards to the trunk.

by I am the Danger!reply 3007/16/2012

r30, Walter was grimly celebrating his 52nd birthday at the diner and was grimly celebrating his 50th at the beginning of the series when Skyler gave him a obligatory handjob, so it's not set too far in the future. But I agree that he looked much more wizened.

by I am the Danger!reply 3107/16/2012

Ted seems scared of Skyler and although she was upset initially seeing how bad off he was, she sort of seemed pleased that he was afraid because she knew he wouldn't be a threat anymore, but who knows. Skyler seemed afraid of Walt when he was hugging her, he's turned into a monster and thinks he's invincible now. Saul's afraid of Walt too, the only one who doesn't seem intimidated by him is Mike and maybe Jessie.

by I am the Danger!reply 3207/16/2012

The Mexican cartel was killed off by Gus, so Mexico should be glad that Walt killed Gus..

by I am the Danger!reply 3307/16/2012

Gus spent years building his cartel with chicken franchises and laundries and medical people who can set up an ICU in a deserted warehouse. He's got at least one person in the DEA. He had bodyguards. He had Mike

Walter only has Jesse, Skylar, Bob Odenkirk and maybe Mike. Who else? Badger? Skinny Pete? Walter hasn't got an organization. He hasn't even got any money. What kind of kingpin is that?

by I am the Danger!reply 3407/16/2012

Anyone else remember Jonathan Banks (Mike) from the fantastic show Wiseguy ?

I've been a fan of his since then.

by I am the Danger!reply 3507/16/2012

R22

What flashforward are you guys talking about?

I must have missed it even though I watched the show.

by I am the Danger!reply 3607/16/2012

The first 8 minutes of the show. Walt had medium hair, a full beard and he finally ditched the serial killer glasses.

by I am the Danger!reply 3707/16/2012

And he didn't have hat freaking bandaid on his nose

by I am the Danger!reply 3807/16/2012

Judging from that last scene with Skylar, I think Walt is going to make sure that Ted never talks.

by I am the Danger!reply 3907/16/2012

Skyler went overboard on the Botox. Not cute.

by I am the Danger!reply 4007/16/2012

The bandaid on his nose will help what I assume is going to be a jumping timeframe straight. Skyler looks much better on the filler front than she did last season. The whole internet was calling her a fat cunt, etc and it was just a little bit of weight gain in her boobs from the baby and fillers. I'd probably get my face peeled off if I had the entire internet criticizing the fuck out of my looks. It's a testament to acting that so many people grew to hate her character.

by I am the Danger!reply 4107/16/2012

After all they've been through, it's very funny how Jesse still calls Walt "Mr. White."

by I am the Danger!reply 4207/16/2012

[quote] I liked how panicky Mike seemed when he said "You have no idea what you've done" re the death of Gus

Walt has ruined everything

R34, Walt doesn't have anything. They don't have a lab/production facilities. They don't have supplies. The laundry was a front for procuring a lot of the supplies needed for the meth production. They were the biggest meth dealers in the south west and they were supplying to Mexico. The drug cartels won't be happy to have everything stopped immediately. But I'm sure BB has some great plan to get them cooking/manufacturing immediately

by I am the Danger!reply 4307/16/2012

[quote] Has it actually been spoiled that a member of his family will be killed off?

possibly a spoiler. You can see someone floating in the pool. I think it's at 0.17. It doesn't mean this person died. They could just be unconscious

by I am the Danger!reply 4407/16/2012

[quote]Skyler looks much better on the filler front than she did last season. The whole internet was calling her a fat cunt, etc and it was just a little bit of weight gain in her boobs from the baby and fillers.

What baby? The last kid she had was in 2006.

She screwed up continuity big time by appearing to gain 20 pounds in a few days when Season 4 started up.

by I am the Danger!reply 4507/17/2012

r44, that's the Cartel boss, Don Eladio, after Gus poisoned him in Season 4.

by I am the Danger!reply 4607/17/2012

Skylar walked into Beneke hospital room prepared to try to manipulate him, yes..., she was shocked to see his condition...but when it became clear that the idiot Beneke finally realized what he was dealing with, she just turned hard-ass.

I liked that scene.

by I am the Danger!reply 4707/17/2012

R47, I was trying to say the same thing you did about that scene but you said it better.

by I am the Danger!reply 4807/17/2012

Mike (Jonathan Banks) plays Johnny in the 1974 film about menstruation. He shows up around 1:10:

by I am the Danger!reply 4907/17/2012

*this 1974 film

by I am the Danger!reply 5007/17/2012

It seems that Walt Jr.'s condition has worsened since last season. I hope the actor is ok. His speech and movements were more labored.

by I am the Danger!reply 5107/17/2012

The cartel might thing Walter is working for the DEA. Walter destroyed everything. They know he has a BIL in the DEA, they might think Walter was a plant all along.

by I am the Danger!reply 5207/17/2012

Anna lost the weight, good for her.

Now, it's my turn.

by I am the Danger!reply 5307/17/2012

Thanks for that clip of a younger Jonathan Banks, R49. It didn't dawn on me until recently that he was also in the first Beverly Hills Cop.

by I am the Danger!reply 5407/17/2012

Let's not forget about the huge gun well more like a rocket launcher in the trunk during walt's flash forward. I was intrigued so went online and saw some recaps of this episode.

Can't forget about the German business conglomerate that backed the meth lab. Looks like Hank may go to war with them.

Why? "Because I say so!"

by I am the Danger!reply 5507/17/2012

I think the only television show that rivals Breaking Bad in quality -- a show that's also crime dramedy -- is FX's Justified. I'll give Breaking Bad the edge because it never feels like you're watching an actual TV series but a continuation of a long, entertaining crime film. It's the most cinematic TV show I can think of and puts a lot of and deserve all the high praise it receives. But the writing and acting on both shows are nearly equal.

BB will be deeply missed after this season.

by I am the Danger!reply 5607/17/2012

Damages is better written and Glenn Close is a screen-killer.

by I am the Danger!reply 5707/17/2012

R56, is BB getting canceled after this season?

by I am the Danger!reply 5807/17/2012

R58, yes this is the final season. The show creator decided to end the show. It's a shame because I think there's so much material with each character they have enough to build upon for at least two or three more seasons. But I guess the show creator wanted to end the show his way on a high note, so I can respect that.

R57, I love Glenn Close, she's a legend and one of the best actresses of her generation, but I doubt Damages is as good as Breaking Bad. Now, I never watched it before, so I can't flat out say I disagree with you, and I may give it a try as it's on Netflix Instant. However, I'm sure it hasn't elevated television to another level the same way as Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad (along with Mad Men and The Walking Dead) are shows that look and feel so cinematic when it comes to narrative and character development. All three shows are putting many Hollywood movies to shame.

by I am the Danger!reply 5907/17/2012

[quote]Since Mad Men is done for now I am glad to have something else to look forward to watching on Sunday nights.

That's the idea

by I am the Danger!reply 6007/17/2012

Thanks R32...

R56, I'm liking "Longmire"...it's going a bit gritty.

I thought it was going to be "Murder She Wrote in The Woods".

Still need to see if it will develop, can't tell yet if it will rank with "Breaking Bad" and "Justified".

by I am the Danger!reply 6107/17/2012

They wouldn't have put Ted in the episode if he weren't going to pop up again later and screw things up. He's a foil.

by I am the Danger!reply 6207/17/2012

I predict a HUGE gun battle to end the series--no way is Walter White dying quietly from cancer.

The gun battle will include Hank.

by I am the Danger!reply 6307/17/2012

[quote]I predict a HUGE gun battle to end the series--no way is Walter White dying quietly from cancer.

R63, surely you know by now that the whole *point* of this show is its unpredictability. I suspect the end will either be quiet or a mindfuck along the lines of "The Sopranos" finale.

by I am the Danger!reply 6407/17/2012

r62 - Ted is a fool and of course he'll pop up again, but whose character is he a foil to?

by I am the Danger!reply 6507/17/2012

Skyler of course.

by I am the Danger!reply 6607/17/2012

r66 - Eh, I don't see it. He may be what triggers her to break bad some more (or the opposite), but I don't think he rates as her foil.

by I am the Danger!reply 6707/18/2012

[quote] It seems that Walt Jr.'s condition has worsened since last season.

CP doesn't get worse. It's technically a birth defect. It's not a disease process.

by I am the Danger!reply 6807/18/2012

CP can worsen in that muscles groups can become more stiff.

(Run with it if you must).

by I am the Danger!reply 6907/18/2012

In "real life" RJ Mitte apparently does not even need the crutches. He plays much worse on the TV show than he actually is.

by I am the Danger!reply 7007/18/2012

[quote]On a more relevant note, episode 4 is titled "51," presumably for WW's birthday, so I guess we can assume Walt is a fugitive on his 52nd birthday in the flash-forward scene at the beginning of last night's ep.

R19, this is one point I am a little confused about.

Is the #52 Walt makes in bacon on his plate a reference to his own age? Or is it a reference to something else?

Walter tells the waitress that it's his birthday. But is it Walter White's birthday he's referring to? Or is it the birthday of the new identity Walt now has?

The waitress checks the license Walt gives her, and the license shows that it's his birthday, otherwise he wouldn't be getting the meal for free.

And the waitress refers to Walt as "Mr. Lambert" (or "Lumbergh", couldn't quite hear what she said).

I'm guessing Walt had the new identity created with his own birthday so he wouldn't wind up confusing himself.

His birthday party in the pilot episode seemed to have taken at the same time of year; the trees in both episodes don't have leaves and the lighting outside is similar.

[quote]Given his coughing fit and the medicine he's taking, I'm assuming his cancer has returned at whatever future point it transpired -- his face also looked substantially older, at least IMO, so this could be years from present-day.

R30, in the flashforward, Walt's face does look quite a bit older. It's like they made his eyelids and jawline saggier or something.

But at the same time, because of Walt's hair growth, it may only be a couple of months after the events of last season.

by I am the Danger!reply 7107/18/2012

Also, I just looked up the "Lambert" reference and it is Skyler's maiden name.

So it looks like Walt had the fake ID made up with personal details.

by I am the Danger!reply 7207/18/2012

Damn, I was hoping Walt's new last name was "Limbaugh."

by I am the Danger!reply 7307/19/2012

Bryan Cranston believes that Walt will die at the end of the series. I think the rocket launcher in the car trunk will have something to do with his death.

by I am the Danger!reply 7407/19/2012

Somebody posted that Marie will figure it out before Hank. That would be fun.

by I am the Danger!reply 7507/20/2012

I think Walt will kill Marie or else Marie will kill Walt.

by I am the Danger!reply 7607/21/2012

I'm sick of the Skyler hate. She's a helluv lot more likable that Walt or most any other character on the show. Walt is fucking self-centered egotistical asshole who make a product that kills people and he's responsible for several deaths throughout the series. Walt is the asshole who buys a hot new car for his son on a whim knowing full well they couldn't keep it and making Skyler be the one who voice reason. Walt got three ladies deported because he didn't want to clean a fucking lab. He had several chances to reign it in but kept pushing things because his ego was bruised. He ruined his family's safety and stability and you can't tell me it was to "protect" them. Skyler was dead on when she said she needed "to protect the family from the guy who protects them".

If anything is wrong with Skyler it's that she not enough of a bitch. She puts up and covers up for Walt. She put up and covered up for Beneke. She got the car wash to cover the whole family. She's good at what she does and she never gets enough credit.

They ALL have their crap side, except for Jesse who oddly enough seems to be the innocent of the show.

by I am the Danger!reply 7707/22/2012

Walt IS an asshole--his treatment of Jesse can make my blood boil--and yet I am still totally invested in his character.

I agree that Skyler is a great, but she didn't start out that way. She was a bit too sanctimonious and harpy in the first few seasons, although I totally understood her frustrations with Walt's 'emotional unavailability'; knowing that he was lying to her yet unable to get him to admit it.

She's fascinating to watch now. I loved what they did with her character in season 4. And Anna Gunn's scene with Bryan Cranston in the beginning of Bullet Points remains one of my very favorites out of the entire series.

by I am the Danger!reply 7807/22/2012

RJ MItte is really handsome. Looks like a young Christopher Reeve - has that nice strong jawline.

by I am the Danger!reply 7907/22/2012

Vince Gilligan said that he intended to make Walt into a character the audience will loathe by the end of the show. He said Walt would not be like Tony Soprano, a character audiences still rooted for until the very end, even though he was responsible for the deaths of nearly everyone around him.

by I am the Danger!reply 8007/23/2012

Aaron Paul needs to grow some hair. His bald pate doesn't look good because his head is getting fat.

Who is the Mystery Woman?

Did you notice the look on Hank's face when his boss talked about how Gus was a guest at his BBQ party and how he was operating "right under my nose"? Walt and Hank BBQd a lot in the first season. .

by I am the Danger!reply 8107/23/2012

I'm guessing the woman has been introduced as a plot advancing device because Walt and Jesse have no ability to get supplies for making meth now that Gus is gone. She is someone the writers conjured up as a surprise supplier.

by I am the Danger!reply 8207/23/2012

The cartel leaders in Mexico may have been assassinated but the Mexican meth lab still exists. There shouldnt be a "void that needs to be filled" as Walt says.

by I am the Danger!reply 8307/23/2012

R83, DIdn't Walt tell Jesse they needed to find somewhere close for the lab, not way out in the desert? It's a couple of hundred miles from Albuquerque to the Mexican border.

Since Mr. Chou's bank account was frozen and ATF knew that Mike's (untouched) money was being held in trust for his granddaughter, I assume ATF accessed Gus' offshore account, and seized both it and accounts tied to it? Those accounts are usually untouchable, but I guess a federal investigation changes that?

Which means Lydia's list (now two shorter) really does all pose a danger, because they're no longer paid off enough to keep their mouth shut. And that's why Mike is now willing to join Walt & Jesse's business? Seems like they'll have major challenge not just in finding a lab site and buying the equipment, but establishing a distribution network minus Pollos Hermanos and it's trucks.

by I am the Danger!reply 8407/23/2012

Hank is beginning to suspect Walt.

After the meeting with the Germans, Hank and Steven Gomez are sitting in their boss's office. Merkert talks about how Gus Fring was "somebody else completely. Right in front of me. Right under my nose."

The look on Hank's face -- he's totally thinking of the person right under his own nose, Walt.

by I am the Danger!reply 8507/23/2012

Lydia works for Madrigal (the parent company from Germany who financed Gus' meth large scale op). Gilligan said she'll be a part of this season as well as the Madrigal connections.

HE said in EW last week that Lydia will "complicate our characters lives immensely" through her dubious judgement (she's already tried to arrange to off Mike and everyone related to the offshore accounts this episode and was spared death only cause she has access to beth brewing products).

by I am the Danger!reply 8607/23/2012

If I were mike I'd be worried the DEA is following me. He would have led them right to two murders.

by I am the Danger!reply 8707/23/2012

I loved Aaron Paul here. I want Giancarlo to win the Emmy, but next year it should go to AP again,

by I am the Danger!reply 8807/23/2012

[quote]Merkert talks about how Gus Fring was "somebody else completely. Right in front of me. Right under my nose."

When he said that he still cooks his fish the way Gus taught him, I missed Gus all over again.

by I am the Danger!reply 8907/23/2012

Aaron Paul was so brilliant in this episode. I agree, R88, he was incredible in that scene. If it wasn't for Giancarlo's nomination Paul would totally be a lock for another Emmy win this year because he was also awesome in season four. In fact, I can't think of a single season that Paul was a weak link. Jonathan Banks in an interview a few years ago said Paul reminds him of Monty Clift. He certainly has the acting chops of the three great Method actors (Clift, Brando and Dean). I hope so see him become a big film star once Breaking Bad ends this season.

[quote] Aaron Paul needs to grow some hair. His bald pate doesn't look good because his head is getting fat.

I thought maybe he gained some weight but his figure looks the same (hard to tell since his character Jesse wears a lot of baggy clothes). He's still doable regardless.

by I am the Danger!reply 9007/23/2012

It bugs me to no end that they didn't cast actors who actually speak German. The "accents" are comical and ruin the whole thing (obviously only to someone who understands German). There are enough German speaking actors in Hollywood trying to get work.

But I am pleased that Laura Fraser is getting some work and recognition.

by I am the Danger!reply 9107/23/2012

I really liked the Lydia character last night. I like the show's motif of having these stone cold killers (Walt, Gus, Lydia) with the facade of upstanding, almost wimpy citizens.

Mike should have offed Lydia when he had the chance. I know she's going to be a major thorn in Team Walt's side for the remainder of the season.

by I am the Danger!reply 9207/23/2012

[quote]The "accents" are comical and ruin the whole thing (obviously only to someone who understands German).

I felt the same way about Esposito's Spanish, until I realized his character was not required to command the language. All the other Hispanic characters except one minor one I don't even remember were hired from the right side of the border.

Their regional accents, however, (Mexicans sounding Cuban or Puerto Rican, etc) left a lot to be desired.

by I am the Danger!reply 9307/23/2012

At the end when Walt was kissing his wife from behind and you could see his hand rubbing her breast was creepy.

by I am the Danger!reply 9407/23/2012

[quote]When he said that he still cooks his fish the way Gus taught him, I missed Gus all over again.

Same here, R89.

Here's hoping that Gilligan will bring Gus Fring back in flashbacks.

by I am the Danger!reply 9507/23/2012

[quote]At the end when Walt was kissing his wife from behind and you could see his hand rubbing her breast was creepy.

That scene creeped me right the fuck out.

Walt is no longer the Walt that Skyler loved and married. He really is Heisenberg now and Skyler knows it, though Walt isn't yet fully aware of how much he's changed.

by I am the Danger!reply 9607/23/2012

Bryan Cranston took creepy to another level in last night's episode. Not only in the scenes with Skyler (which were shot brilliantly with the camera lingering on her face or back while we just get bits of Walt behind her), but also watching him manipulate Jesse as the poor kid falls apart under his guilt for almost shooting Walt. It was just so gut-wrenchingly awful, to finally get to see Walt being comforting and kind to Jesse, and yet it's all a lie.

Aaron Paul is amazing. He has put on some weight, which you can see in his face, but good for him. He was painfully skinny before (just look at him dressing in the opening of "I See You"), and I think the extra weight looks healthy on him. Also, Paul is looking decidedly less 'boyish' these days--he was rocking the beard on Leno the other night--which I think will help him get future roles, if he wants to be up for something beyond twenty year old punks. He looks very rugged and hot in the new GQ.

This episode was all about Mike, though, and I love Mike hardcore. Brilliant performance from Jonathan Banks.

I still think Mike has his eyes on the long game. I don't think he would ever roll on Jesse, but Walt? Considering how much he loathes the man, I'd say it's a distinct possibility that he takes Hank up on his offer.

by I am the Danger!reply 9707/23/2012

I think Mike's inability to kill Lydia will be his undoing.

by I am the Danger!reply 9807/23/2012

Bald guys whose heads/faces are getting fat look like Curly from the 3 Stooges. That's why Aaron Paul needs to lose he shaved head and put some hair around his face. He would look infinitely better.

by I am the Danger!reply 9907/23/2012

I attempted to do some math and figure out how much money Gus was bringing in w/ the super lab running at full capacity and failed miserably.

Anyone else wanna try?

I'm curious because it would need to be an insane amount to pay off everyone involved, build it, and supply it constantly. How much would be left for Madrigal in the end? A multinational conglomerate being involved seems unbelievable to me, and I've thought so since we saw that Pollos commercial a couple seasons back.

by I am the Danger!reply 10007/24/2012

[quote] it, and supply it constantly. How much would be left for Madrigal in the end? A multinational conglomerate being involved seems unbelievable to me,

Los Pollos could have been laundering money for the Germans.

I remember about 15 years ago I read something that said the bloated budgets of Hollywood movies was due in part to "investors" from Germany. They didn't spell it out, but worded so that if you were paying attention, you realized it was money laundering, particularly from profits from German pornography.

by I am the Danger!reply 10107/24/2012

Why do you need to launder profits from German pornography? It's legal, isn't it?

by I am the Danger!reply 10207/24/2012

Why does almost every single baddie in this series need to have a kid in his or her life? Just to show they have a soft side? Walt, Mike, Lydia, Jesse are all shown cooing over kids that mitigate their evil.

by I am the Danger!reply 10307/24/2012

Gus referred to a family, but we never saw them, right?

Just his long dead possible lover.

by I am the Danger!reply 10407/24/2012

You just answered your own question r103 - to balance out their evil just enough so that there is actually a plot progression.

Otherwise, all you'd get is a big shootout bloodbath with only the snarky diner waitress left standing at the end, and no tip.

by I am the Danger!reply 10507/24/2012

The actress who plays Lydia is very good.

by I am the Danger!reply 10607/24/2012

But does the soft side always have to be kids?

by I am the Danger!reply 10707/24/2012

[quote]But does the soft side always have to be kids?

It doesn't.

by I am the Danger!reply 10807/24/2012

R100, I think we can assume that Madrigal's "Food Service Division" was distributing drugs (or other contraband) beyond Los Pollos Hermanos. The Madrigal CEO told the DEA that the guy who offed himself had grown the division into a highly profitable cost center. Lydia was at that meeting, btw, so the idea that this was one rogue employee is bullshit.

In the opening sequence at Madrigal HQ, we see workers removing the Pollos Hermanos logo plaque from a wall display alongside many other international fast food chains. I think it's a safe bet that some if not all of them are similar fronts. So Madrigal would have a lot of black market profit to invest in infrastructure and protection payouts.

by I am the Danger!reply 10907/24/2012

Here's Aaron Paul on The Price is Right. Warning, he's telling the story to Jay Leno. Worth it tho.

by I am the Danger!reply 11007/24/2012

I think Madrigal was making money by selling chemicals and equipment to Gus.

Not touching the drugs but definitely breaking the law.

by I am the Danger!reply 11107/24/2012

[quote]Why does almost every single baddie in this series need to have a kid in his or her life? Just to show they have a soft side? Walt, Mike, Lydia, Jesse are all shown cooing over kids that mitigate their evil.

Because a lot of baddies in real life actually have children. Hell, look at any criminal organization like the Mafia -- huge focus on the family.

Why do you think most of these folks get involved in criminal behaviour? Very few do it because they're inherently evil or enjoy being criminals. Most commit crimes to provide for their families.

And that's been Walt's motivation from the very being, at least until the last season. Now he actually gets a psychological kick out of the criminal activity, which is the whole point of the series -- how an unassuming, decent family man can turn into a skeevy douchebag criminal in short order.

by I am the Danger!reply 11207/24/2012

[quote]I attempted to do some math and figure out how much money Gus was bringing in w/ the super lab running at full capacity and failed miserably.

[quote]Anyone else wanna try?

[quote]I'm curious because it would need to be an insane amount to pay off everyone involved, build it, and supply it constantly. How much would be left for Madrigal in the end? A multinational conglomerate being involved seems unbelievable to me, and I've thought so since we saw that Pollos commercial a couple seasons back.

R100, the profit thing's been discussed on the show a couple of times. I can't recall the exact episodes, but this article at the link says in season 3, Gus Fring would have made $96 million in the three months that Hank worked for him (Hank himself was paid $3 million, a fucking pittance compared to Fring's haul). 3 months of work would be one quarter, so 4 quarters per year would be close to half a billion dollars.

by I am the Danger!reply 11307/24/2012

[quote]Gus Fring would have made $96 million in the three months that Hank worked for him (Hank himself was paid $3 million, a fucking pittance compared to Fring's haul).

Hank worked for Gus Fring? I don't remember that episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 11407/24/2012

R114, of course I meant Walt. Shame on me.

by I am the Danger!reply 11507/24/2012

Don't worry darling, I quite liked your post. We shall not mention it again.

Btw does anyone know a good site/forum with in depth recaps and/or discussion?

by I am the Danger!reply 11607/24/2012

I know that, r112. I just mean that on this show it seems a device that's used too frequently. One of the few examples of lazy writing on this great show.

by I am the Danger!reply 11707/24/2012

Except it's not lazy writing, it's reality. Breeders breed. Damn this season is shaping up nicely. I still cheer for Walt though.

by I am the Danger!reply 11807/24/2012

And I hate Walt more with every episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 11907/24/2012

[quote] I still cheer for Walt though.

[quote]And I hate Walt more with every episode

And therein lies the brilliance of this show.

Like everyone else, I love Mad Men and loved The Sopranos but the writing and character development on this show blows everything else away.

by I am the Danger!reply 12007/24/2012

Why would Pollos Hermanos have to close just because Gus was killed? Isn't it a successful business in its own right?

And I'm not actually clear -- does Gus's death actually prove that he was running a drug empire? Couldn't he just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time?

by I am the Danger!reply 12107/24/2012

[quote]If anything is wrong with Skyler it's that she not enough of a bitch. She puts up and covers up for Walt.

Skyler seems very much like she's on a Carmela Soprano trajectory. Carmela was in denial for years that Tony was the monster that so much of the evidence indicated. Finally it came to a head and she left him, but she quickly figured out that, like it or not, her self-identity was defined as being the wife of a kingpin. Skyler appears right now to be wrestling with this reality, but also appears to understand that it's in the long-term best interests of her family to play the "innocent wife" and help Walt save up as much money as possible before they can finally "retire." Mixed in with all this is Skyler's continuing guilt that she and she alone is responsible for the situation with Ted, that her legendary control-freak nature was not enough to convince Ted of the error of his ways, and he's ended up in a royally-fucked situation in the hospital with months, if not years, of rehab ahead of him because of a stupid, avoidable accident. Also, Skyler undoubtedly blames herself for having to spend nearly all of Walt's remaining liquid money (factoring in him spending nearly a million in cash for the car wash) to pay Ted's IRS bill, which would've lead straight back to them had Ted been audited.

Anyway, Anna Gunn has already stated that Skyler will be sucked into Walt's increasing amoral nature and start to take riskier and riskier measures to ensure the safety of their cover business and prevent anyone from uncovering the truth. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that *Skyler* is the one who ends up killing Marie, assuming she finds out what Walt is up to (before Hank does).

The two episodes this season have been fucking brilliant, probably in no small part to Vince Gilligan writing both of them. The magnet thing brought some much needed levity after a superintense few episodes at the end of last season, and the Lydia character -- whoever she is -- provided a completely logical plot device for Mike needing to get back into business with Walt: he knows that the silence of the remaining Fring associates has to be bought, and with their bank accounts all frozen, the only way that can quickly be done is through meth-dealing profits. Btw it wouldn't surprise me if Lydia turned out to be Mike's daughter or something.

by I am the Danger!reply 12207/24/2012

[quote]Why would Pollos Hermanos have to close just because Gus was killed? Isn't it a successful business in its own right?

I think it's a safe assumption that the DEA took legal possession of the entire chain as part of its investigation (and closed it down under the (correct) presumption that each chain was a drug front). In reality, they'd be within their full legal rights to do so. The DEA has an incredibly wide set of grounds to seize assets of suspected drug dealer even *before* guilt has been established.

by I am the Danger!reply 12307/24/2012

[quote]And I'm not actually clear -- does Gus's death actually prove that he was running a drug empire? Couldn't he just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time?

He was apparently assassinated by a member of the cartel. There was nothing wrong place/wrong time about it. After he became the focus of the DEA, it would not take them long to uncover his operation.

by I am the Danger!reply 12407/24/2012

After watching both scenes between Lydia and Mike, I don't know how you would come up with the idea of her being his daughter, R122. Really? He was about to put a bullet in her head.

Otherwise, everything else you said was spot-on and brilliant.

by I am the Danger!reply 12507/24/2012

[quote]Otherwise, everything else you said was spot-on and brilliant.

Really? Skyler killing her own sister is spot-on?

by I am the Danger!reply 12607/24/2012

[quote]After watching both scenes between Lydia and Mike, I don't know how you would come up with the idea of her being his daughter, [R122]. Really? He was about to put a bullet in her head.

Lydia betrayed him, and as a result two of Mike's trusted allies died and Mike himself was put into a substantial amount of jeopardy. Given the twisted familiar dynamics of this show, why on earth would you be surprised at the possibility of Mike turning on his own daughter?

[quote]Really? Skyler killing her own sister is spot-on?

Her sister is a cunt, and Skyler's first priority BY FAR is protecting her two children. If Marie finds out the truth, which could very well result in both Walt and Skyler going to jail and their children becoming orphaned, Skyler's left with an almost-impossible choice: save her sister or save herself and her children. I think the choice in this regard is clear, particularly if Skyler becomes more sociopathic (like Walt) during the course of this season.

by I am the Danger!reply 12707/24/2012

I like how your mind works.

by I am the Danger!reply 12807/24/2012

Am I the only one who doesn't like Mike? I see people rave about him in other forums and he just seems like a grumpy old sourpuss to me.

by I am the Danger!reply 12907/25/2012

Remember Marie stealing that gift she gave the baby? She is a pain in the ass and I can see her figuring it out and presenting problems.

by I am the Danger!reply 13007/25/2012

r116 - do you read Alan Sepinwall? Here's a link:

by I am the Danger!reply 13107/25/2012

I loathe Mike, but love Jonathan Banks.

by I am the Danger!reply 13207/25/2012

Isn't Madrigal a type of business that allows the shareholders and board to be absolved of subsidiary actions? I forget where I read this, but their suffix (some sort of German equivelant of an LLC, but not quite) allows for this. I remember back when we saw their name on the Pollos commercial and I looked it up.

Also, to the person asking about episode recaps, try avclub.com

I came to this 6 months ago and their old recaps and discussions (along w/ those here) were great.

by I am the Danger!reply 13307/25/2012

[quote] help Walt save up as much money as possible before they can finally "retire."

They're not looking to retire. Walt is going to die. The whole angle of the show is that the drug dealing is to provide for Walt's family when he is dead.

by I am the Danger!reply 13407/25/2012

[quote] does Gus's death actually prove that he was running a drug empire?

Hank had already told the DEA he suspected Gus was an international drug dealer. He told them that Gus's businesses were perfect fronts -- the laundry was a perfect front for getting chemical ingredients and the restaurants were perfect for laundering money. Hank saw that Gus had paid for Gale's education through a scholarship. Gale shows up dead with a notebook full of meth recipe and Los Pollos napkins in his apartment (yet he's a vegan).

Tio Hector Salamanca was known to the DEA for being affiliated with the Mexican cartel. His nephew Tuco was killed in a shoot out with Hank. His other two nephews who were involved in the drug cartel attacked Hank, shooting several other people in a parking lot.

Hank had gone to the laudromat to snoop around. Walt and Jesse torched the laundromat knowing it was just a matter of time before Hank got a warrant and a score of DEA agents ripped the place apart.

Then Gus and Hector get blown up by a bomb strapped to Hector's wheelchair. Now the DEA can't deny that Hank was right.

When Hank's boss says that Fring was "right under my nose, right in front of me," and Hank gets that look on his face, everyone thinks "Ut oh! Now Hank will suspect Walt!" But I think there is a possibility that Hank suddenly began to suspect his boss or Steve Gomez is a mole. Because there is a mole at the DEA.

by I am the Danger!reply 13507/25/2012

[quote]But I think there is a possibility that Hank suddenly began to suspect his boss or Steve Gomez is a mole. Because there is a mole at the DEA.

That's an angle I hadn't considered, R135. Why do you think there's a mole at the DEA?

by I am the Danger!reply 13607/25/2012

Maybe Mike has a plan. Maybe he's setting up this whole new meth-making business in order to turn everyone in to the DEA in exchange for immunity and his $2M.

by I am the Danger!reply 13707/26/2012

[quote]Maybe Mike has a plan. Maybe he's setting up this whole new meth-making business in order to turn everyone in to the DEA in exchange for immunity and his $2M.

I doubt it -- the latest episode suggested Mike believes pretty strongly in the "no snitching" criminal ethic.

by I am the Danger!reply 13807/26/2012

If Mike was head if Fring's security, why was he doing bullshit PI work for Sol?

by I am the Danger!reply 13907/26/2012

[quote] the latest episode suggested Mike believes pretty strongly in the "no snitching" criminal ethic.

He believes in no snitching on him.

by I am the Danger!reply 14007/26/2012

r139, you're right. Why would he waste his time w/ a two-bit like Saul when the Pollos operation would be a full time gig.

I mean, I understand why the writers would need that as a way to get Walt to Gus, but in retrospect, it's not terribly realistic.

by I am the Danger!reply 14107/27/2012

Maybe Saul had done a legal favor for Mike or Gus and that's why Mike took the case. Or maybe Mike was watching Walter to see if it was safe to bring him into the fold, I.e, Walt had a BIL in the DEA. He might have been a plant.

I can't remember why Saul bugged Walt's house....

by I am the Danger!reply 14207/27/2012

[quote]Btw does anyone know a good site/forum with in depth recaps and/or discussion?

R116, Reddit has a Breaking Bad subreddit.

Also, the Straight Dope forum always has a weekly episode discussion. I'll post the link in the next post.

by I am the Danger!reply 14307/27/2012

Straight Dope's Cafe Society forum page; just do a search on the page for the Breaking Bad discussions.

by I am the Danger!reply 14407/27/2012

[quote]I can't remember why Saul bugged Walt's house....

To make sure Skylar wouldn't talk after she learned the truth.

I suspect the writers created Mike as Saul's PI then liked the character so much they expanded his role.

Logically, if Mike had been working for Fring all along he would have seen Saul as a security risk once he became Walt's lawyer.

by I am the Danger!reply 14507/27/2012

Saul was Walt's lawyer before Mike was in the picture.

by I am the Danger!reply 14607/27/2012

Thanks, R143/144!

by I am the Danger!reply 14707/27/2012

I know that. But if Mike was working for Fring (out of the picture) he would have seen Saul as a potential leaker, not knowing how much Walt had told him. The implication is that Saul somehow convinced Mike that he could be useful to the cartel, but that was never elaborated or exploited as a plot point.

by I am the Danger!reply 14807/27/2012

I'm rewatching the first season and it's amazing how Walt has changed. Now when you know what he becomes so far in season 5 it's really remarkable.

by I am the Danger!reply 14907/28/2012

Saul was the go-between of Walter and Gus. "I know a guy who knows a guy." (Saul knew Mike, who knew Gus.) Walter had the best dope but didn't have a distribution network large enough to make the kind of money he needed to make. Gus had the network. Saul told Mike about Walter, but he wasn't sure if Walter's wife would go to the DEA if she found out. Also, Walter's BIL was DEA. So Mike and Gus would be interested in the dope and would want to check Walter out. Mike wasn't really working for Saul, he was working for Gus in checking Walter out. Gus had a huge organization that could be jeopardized by some off-the-wall chemistry teacher with cancer. Too bad for them they decided to go along with Walter, because he did destroy that organization.

The two Mexican brothers showed up at Walter's house while Mike was there. Mike called Gus and let him know the supplier if blue meth was about to be axed by the boys. Gus has been involved in a pissing contest with the Mexican cartel. He is super-pissed that the cartel is horsing in on Gus's territory, making decisions about killing a potential supplier without Gus's permission. Gus either calls the cartel and gets the brothers off he case or he calls the brothers himself and tells them to leave Walter alone.

Gus takes Walter on for two reasons --1.) he wants the money and power to stand up to the Mexican cartel and to destroy it 2.) he's a businessman and Walter has a product he wants to sell.

by I am the Danger!reply 15007/28/2012

Can someone please explain the significance of that capsule hidden in a cigarette? I can't remember what that was all about.

by I am the Danger!reply 15107/28/2012

[quote]Can someone please explain the significance of that capsule hidden in a cigarette? I can't remember what that was all about.

The capsule had ricin in it. Jesse was supposed to kill Gus with it.

by I am the Danger!reply 15207/28/2012

Thank you, R152!

by I am the Danger!reply 15307/28/2012

Loved Skyler's breakdown tonight. Instead of repeatedly saying "shut up", I think "shut up you stupid bitch". Would have been better.

Thought Walter was going to shoot Mike when they split up the money, especially for the legacy cost. Can't wait for next weeks episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 15407/29/2012

What was the story behind what Walt said to Jessie at the end of the episode---about someone needing their wings clipped?

What was he referring to, and was he threatening Jessie?

I missed Hank tonight.

by I am the Danger!reply 15507/29/2012

You'd think they'd have discussed the costs associated with the new business before they were actually dividing up the profits.

WHat was Walt's point in bringing up Victor? It was certainly ominous and left Jesse understandably worried. Was he accusing Mike of hubris?

by I am the Danger!reply 15607/29/2012

F&F OP for being a cyber bully and authenticated stalker.

by I am the Danger!reply 15707/29/2012

Oops, I asked the same question before seeing your post, R155.

by I am the Danger!reply 15807/29/2012

He wasn't threatening Jesse. I saw him as intimating that Mike had overstepped by using Walt's and Jesse's $ to pay off Fring's men, and hinting that Mike might need to be dealt with.

Great episode! Cranston and Paul are just superb together.

by I am the Danger!reply 15907/29/2012

Thanks, R159. Does Walter not get that some of Mike's guys could ID him and Jesse? Or am I missing something? They'd at least be recognizable to people who saw them at the laundry, no?

by I am the Danger!reply 16007/29/2012

Not sure why Mike did not agree to kill all of Fring's men. Why on eartt pay them all that money for them to sit in jail? Walt's right on this point. On the other hand, R156 is absolutely right on asking why Mike did not bring up all these costs before...

Oh, and cooking in people's houses will end badly...for someone.

by I am the Danger!reply 16107/30/2012

No problem. I could be wrong, and maybe someone else has a different take.

Not sure that the guys who are being paid off really knew or interacted with Walt and Jesse. It seems like they were part of a different arm of the operation. But yeah, Walt would probably be wiser to chill and let it go. Not too likely, though.

by I am the Danger!reply 16207/30/2012

Who's Victor ?

by I am the Danger!reply 16307/30/2012

R163, Victor was Gus Fring's watchdog at the lab. After Jesse killed Gale (at Walt's behest), to force Gus to keep Walt around as head cook, Victor started cooking a batch himself, showing that he'd picked up the technique while guarding Walt & Jesse. Fring slit Victor's throat in front of them, in maybe the most chilling scene of the series.

Speaking of chilling scenes, how about Walt's manipulation of Jesse to break up with Andrea? Or his manipulation of Marie to frame Skyler as the culprit in their marital standoff? Yikes.

Also, the scene with Brock showed he didn't recognize Walt, proving conclusively that Walt hadn't given him the Lily of the Valley berries directly. It was still creepy enough watching Walt pretend to care about him. Double yikes.

by I am the Danger!reply 16407/30/2012

[quote] When Hank's boss says that Fring was "right under my nose, right in front of me," and Hank gets that look on his face, everyone thinks "Ut oh! Now Hank will suspect Walt!" But I think there is a possibility that Hank suddenly began to suspect his boss or Steve Gomez is a mole. Because there is a mole at the DEA

I could definitely see Gomez as a mole. If Hank would just google Heisenberg, all the pieces would fall together that Walt is the Meth chemist. I keep thinking Hank or someone will do that, especially since they found out the German company Gus was associated with was also involved with the drug running. Heisenberg was a noble prize winning German physicist famous for the creation of the theory of quantum mechanics and the Uncertainty Principle

by I am the Danger!reply 16507/30/2012

Just rewatched part of the episode. Mike says of the nine legacy guys, "you don't know them, but they were part of the previous operation, and they know a lot." It's not clear if they know Walt and Jesse's identities, but if they fingered Mike the DEA would find Walt and Jesse in two minutes. Even if Walt takes out Mike, some of the nine guys clearly know Lydia and/or about Madrigal. Walt would have to figure out the whole chain, establish his own relationships with suppliers and distributors, and kill both Mike and anyone else who could make the connection between Madrigal and the meth business. Including all the guys in custody.

by I am the Danger!reply 16607/30/2012

Why do you think there's a mole, R165? And why would researching Heisenberg lead to Walt? I think it's just coincidence that Walt chose that alias; I don't think he knew about Madrigal when he adopted the identity. Am I missing a connection?

by I am the Danger!reply 16707/30/2012

No connection between Walt's choice of alias and Madrigal, is there? But use of name Heisenberg plus quality of the product, should give Hank a decent profile of someone more erudite than your usual meth cook. There's also the fact that Hank knows Walt is connected to Jesse, and Jesse is connected to the blue meth.

Not to mention the fact that in the awesome episode where Hank is standing outside the RV while Jesse and Walt are hiding inside, Hank is tricked into leaving when he gets the phony news that Marie was in an accident. He might have wondered how Jesse -- or Heisenberg pulling the strings -- knew her name.

by I am the Danger!reply 16807/30/2012

R165, Hank already googled Heisenberg a while back. He mentions it to Walt when he's showing him Gale's lab notes, telling him that Heisenberg was one of Hitler's guys, some sort of physicist. He even says, 'with a handle like that, figure this guy has to be some sort of egghead'.

As far as Walt's mentioning of Victor flying too close to the sun, he was definitely ruminating on what will need to be done about Mike. Walt doesn't like the way Mike 'takes liberties' with the money and bossing Walt around. As he said to Saul, Mike handles the business, he handles Mike.

And whoa! Nice piano work, Skinny Pete!

by I am the Danger!reply 16907/30/2012

Wanted: Heisenberg

by I am the Danger!reply 17007/30/2012

Since we've discussed the numbers before: in this episode, each partner clears $137,000. When they're figuring out the cook set-up, Walt says the exterminators do 3-4 houses a week, and they can find the one that's most suitable for rigging the cook tent. Mike notes that this week's supply of methylamine was free, but they'll need to pay a hefty cost in the future. Even if that comes to $100,000 per cook, they'll each net $100,000 per week. Which would conservatively translate to $4 million a year if they cook once a week for 40 weeks, more if they cook every week, or twice some weeks.

So realistically, what's Walt complaining about?

by I am the Danger!reply 17107/30/2012

I don't think this was linked previously: an article in the New Yorker called "The Uncannily Accurate Depiction of the Meth Trade in Breaking Bad". It's by Patrick Raddin Keefe, who did the recent investigative piece on Mexican drug cartels for the NYT Magazine. It's a short and interesting read.

by I am the Danger!reply 17207/30/2012

Why is Marie wearing purple AGAIN! and a purple purse. Not sure why she is wearing the royal color?

And Skylar was in black, black, black...that does not sound good.

by I am the Danger!reply 17307/30/2012

I also loved the fact that Walt and Walt Jr. were atching "Scarface" during the episode--and digging it. Hilarious.

by I am the Danger!reply 17407/30/2012

[quote] So realistically, what's Walt complaining about?

Walt always had a huge ego. It's the one thing that will ultimately do him in. He's someone who took Rodney Dangerfield's catchphrase to heart: "I don't get no respect!"

In the first few seasons you sympathized with him because he was the brilliant chemist who taught high school and worked part time at a car wash to provide for his family. Then there was the cancer scare. Now, after taking out Gus Fring, after masterfully manipulating everyone around him so he remains above the fray, he's under the impression people should fear him the way they feared Gus. Yet, as Mike told him, just because he took out Gus doesn't mean he's the new King Pin in town. Basically, he's on some machismo kick.

He probably figures since he took out Gus he can easily do the same with Mike. I think he's in for a rude awakening as Mike may be the only person that's smarter than Gus.

by I am the Danger!reply 17507/30/2012

R174 You bring up a great part of tonight's show. However you missed bringing up Skyler's look of horror when Walt Sr. casually mentions "they all die".

Skyler is going to have a breakdown soon.

by I am the Danger!reply 17607/30/2012

How about Walt pumping the volume on Scarface, knowing Skyler was having a nervous breakdown in the bedroom? And dandling the baby on his knee while he watches? That goes beyond insensitivity to sadism.

I'm waiting for Skyler to make her move, R176. She's already breaking down but is paralyzed by fear and horror. Sometime soon she's going to start thinking again, and then acting. Her ultimate directive is to protect the children, and they can't be safe with Walt so close. But she'll have to figure out a way to get herself and the kids free and clear of him without triggering his rage. And she'll want to hang onto the carwash as an asset if at all possible. I can't wait to see what exit strategy she comes up with.

by I am the Danger!reply 17707/30/2012

Skyler would be a fool to hang onto that car wash. With her creative accounting of the car wash books, it is just as likely that she will go to prison as Walt. In fact, it might be more likely.

by I am the Danger!reply 17807/30/2012

Good point, R178. Is there any way Skyler could cut a deal with the DEA, with Hank's assistance? Give up Walt in exchange for her own immunity, or reduced sentence, plus retention of some assets?

by I am the Danger!reply 17907/30/2012

I am sure she might be able to, but doesn't it seem likely at this point that Hank is going the way of his boss when it is revealed that his brother-in-law is the biggest meth cooker-distributor in the American south-west?

by I am the Danger!reply 18007/30/2012

[quote]Is there any way Skyler could cut a deal with the DEA, with Hank's assistance? Give up Walt in exchange for her own immunity, or reduced sentence, plus retention of some assets?

A logical end to the series would be witness relocation for her and the kids. Nice irony since Walt started out doing it all for his family. That's consistent with Walt's diner scene. On the run, looking for his family or just trying to escape.

by I am the Danger!reply 18107/30/2012

Waltter's actions (killing Gus and exposing the network) are responsible for destroying the career of Hank's boss at the DEA; the suicide of the Madrigal restaurant overseer; the deaths of Chow and Chris.

by I am the Danger!reply 18307/30/2012

r182 - True in one sense, but all of those people had jobs or lifestyles that were destructive. Walt just happened to nudge them over the edge.

by I am the Danger!reply 18407/30/2012

What R182 said.

Walt's family is as good as dead. Walt is going to go out in a blaze of glory.

I think Jesse will make it out in time.

At this point, I absolutely hate, hate, hate Walt. In the first season, I cheered him on. And now I can't stand the guy.

by I am the Danger!reply 18507/31/2012

[quote]At this point, I absolutely hate, hate, hate Walt. In the first season, I cheered him on. And now I can't stand the guy.

Same here. Like this review of the episode:

[italic] For all the talk of Breaking Bad as a drama in the Sopranos antihero-as-hero mode, it sure is going out of its way to make Walt a horribly entitled bully with a strong and ever-growing God complex. He seems to resent even having to consider what anyone else wants before acting. He doesn't ask Skyler for permission to move back in, he just does it; she finds out about it when she walks into the bedroom and sees him taking his things out of a box. "It's time," he says, with a smile in his voice. What a piece of slime. [/italic]

by I am the Danger!reply 18607/31/2012

What does this newly released AMC pic mean? It's apparently from the upcomming episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 18708/01/2012

Walt's back in the doctor's office, R187. That fuels speculation that his cancer has recurred. He's contemplating his Heisenberg hat. Maybe Walt's being forced to momentarily re-inhabit his old identity, or at least recognize its existence. Where he's not the one doing the knocking.

by I am the Danger!reply 18808/01/2012

Thanks, R186. I love Matt Zoller Seitz's Breaking Bad recaps. He always breaks down each episode a way a film critic would examine the show. I guess it makes sense as he was a film critic at the New York Press for almost the entire last decade (along with loony contrarian Armond White).

by I am the Danger!reply 18908/01/2012

I think something bad will happen to Walt's daughter, Holly, and that Walt will have something to do with it. Notice how the kid isn't given a lot of screen time. The audience is not emotionally connected to Holly. If something bad happened to her, we would be shocked but not traumatized.

by I am the Danger!reply 19008/05/2012

Dark and twisted as Walt's storyline has become, R190, I don't see Gilligan hurting his baby. Maybe something like a kidnapping, ala Jax's son Abel in Sons of Anarchy. That would work as a plot device to make Skyler rouse herself from paralysis and take action against Walt.

by I am the Danger!reply 19108/05/2012

Skyler is such a cunt. She's waiting for the cancer to come back? She's going to get a bullet between the eyes if she continues to piss off Walter.

by I am the Danger!reply 19208/05/2012

Cunt? This was the first episode I was rooting for her.

by I am the Danger!reply 19308/05/2012

Same here, R193. I was so glad she broke out of her stupor and confronted Walt, though I was cringing in fear on her behalf throughout that scene. Smart of her to mention that any evidence Walt hit her (real or not) could be used to deny him access to the kids. Otherwise it's easy to believe he would have clocked her. Unfortunately for Skyler, the only option Walt will see if she doesn't come around is the ricin capsule hidden in the wall socket. And unlike Jesse, Skyler won't be easily manipulated. She may be a paralyzed mess, but with Walt she's clear eyed. Those two really are locked in a terminal standoff.

So Hank chalked up Walt's second phone to an affair? Another hint that at some point he'll realize he's been collecting puzzle pieces.

And again, Steve Gomez tries to nudge Hank off Heisenberg's trail. I'm beginning to agree with posters who've speculated he's a mole. But for whom? Is he on Mike's payroll?

Another amazing episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 19408/05/2012

Why isn't Gomey in El Paso?

If Hank becomes head of the local DEA, he won't be directly on the case. The agents on the case may foul up if there is a mole directing them.

by I am the Danger!reply 19508/06/2012

Mike knew about the DEA visit to Madrigal. Somebody is on his payroll. I thought Gomez but now wonder about the chief who promoted Walt. Easiest way to get him off the investigation, at least officially.

Last week's episode ended with the shot of Jesse looking horrified at Walt's Icarus rumination. This week he gives Walt a very expensive Tag Heuer watch for his birthday. It seems inconsistent. Also, wouldn't eagle-eye Hank notice the bling?

I think Lydia's secretary will factor in somewhere. The camera lingered on her watching Lydia with distaste a few times. Maybe she just hates the boss from hell, but I think she knows more than Lydia realizes.

by I am the Danger!reply 19608/06/2012

Why didn't mike tell Jesse that Lydia hired one of his own men to kill him? That she forced him to have to kill a once-trusted employee? That Lydia has no loyalty and would have Jesse killed in a heartbeat? It doesn't ring true that Mike wouldn't let Jesse know the specifics of Lydia's treachery when Jesse is trying to block Mike from killing her.

I picture the tv audience saying, "Let me kill her! I'll do it."

by I am the Danger!reply 19708/06/2012

Realistically speaking, I think Mike would have put a bullet in Walt's head by now. He'll kill his own men but not the guy who killed his boss?

by I am the Danger!reply 19808/06/2012

R198, Mike can't kill Walt. He went into business with Walt and Jesse because he needs the income to pay off "his guys" from Gus' operation whose offshore accounts were seized by the feds. Mike only escaped prison because his own $2 million was held in trust for his granddaughter and hadn't been touched. In theory Jesse could be the solo cook, but Jesse's been clear that he's loyal to Walt. If Mike killed Walt, he'd be out of business and the guys in prison would roll over on him. Mike hates and mistrusts Walt, the ticking time bomb, but he's stuck with him.

by I am the Danger!reply 19908/06/2012

Actually, Mike's $2 million was seized along with everyone else's cash. It was part of his motivation to go back into business with Walt and Jesse.

I think Skylar waiting for the cancer to come back is the smart move. Telling Walt about it...not so much.

by I am the Danger!reply 20008/06/2012

If Mike is supposed to be so clever, which I suppose he is to a degree, why doesn't HE, with all the time he's been in the business, have a money laundering gig like Walt?

Walt's got the carwash to clean the cash. Why would Mike be so sloppy and cumbersome to be stashing money in offshore, yet easily traced accounts? Doesn't fit the character.

by I am the Danger!reply 20108/06/2012

Was Gustavo Fring's Chilean background ever discussed in season 5? He was a big man in Chilean politics, "Grand Generalissimo", under Pinochet, yes? Maybe this is a story arc yet to be completed, by a Chilean regime with vengeance?

by I am the Danger!reply 20208/06/2012

Mike needs Walt *now*, but I still think he would probably have killed him as soon as he heard Gus was dead.

by I am the Danger!reply 20308/06/2012

[quote]Was Gustavo Fring's Chilean background ever discussed in season 5? He was a big man in Chilean politics, "Grand Generalissimo", under Pinochet, yes?

I thought it was made clear at one point that Gus was Venezuelan.

by I am the Danger!reply 20408/06/2012

What's with all the lingering shots on the fucking hat?

by I am the Danger!reply 20508/07/2012

No, Gus was Chilean, R204. When Don Eladio killed Max, he mentioned sparing Gus because of his unspecified history in Chile. As R202 mentions, the implication is that he was connected to the Pinochet regime, but the relationship is never clarified.

R203, in the first episode this season, Mike comes rushing back from his Mexican recuperation to kill Walt. His plan derails when Jesse physically protects Walt, and convinces Mike they have to work together to destroy the video evidence from Gus' lab. Once they succeeded, Mike still might have gone after Walt if their super-magnet fiasco hadn't revealed the offshore account numbers behind Gus' cracked photo frame. That led to the arrest of Mike's team and the seizure of everyone's funds.

by I am the Danger!reply 20608/07/2012

R205: The hat used to be part of Walt's Heisenberg identity- he only wore it when he needed to project a badass image in his drug world dealings. After finding it in the back seat of the repaired Aztec, he starts wearing it openly in his everyday life. Heisenberg has replaced Walter White almost completely. Except there's that thread hanging off the hat...it's unraveling around the edges.

by I am the Danger!reply 20708/07/2012

[quote]eisenberg has replaced Walter White almost completely. Except there's that thread hanging off the hat...it's unraveling around the edges.

Oooh. I caught the significance of the hat, but not the thread. You so smart!

by I am the Danger!reply 20808/07/2012

Even though her screen time is a lot less than in past seasons this is Skylar's moment. I watched Sunday's ep last night and every interaction she has with other characters is fraught with a sense of either impending doom or violence. When she told Walt that she was just going to wait until his cancer came back was breathtaking. Anna Gunn is rocking it as much as Christina Hendricks did on Mad Men.

by I am the Danger!reply 20908/07/2012

Loved the scene in the car when Marie tells Hank of Skyler's affair.

by I am the Danger!reply 21008/07/2012

This is great!

by I am the Danger!reply 21108/10/2012

HOLY FUCKITY FUCK!!!!!!!!

by I am the Danger!reply 21208/12/2012

I wondered why they wasted a scene on a tarantula, I was thinking we were supposed to get some correlation between it and Walt. Now I see where they were going with that... yikes!

by I am the Danger!reply 21308/12/2012

Careless of Walt to plant the wiretaps without wearing gloves, and letting himself be seen holding the picture frame.

by I am the Danger!reply 21408/12/2012

Mind blowing episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 21508/12/2012

Captain, we found your brother-in-law's fingerprints on the picture frame with the wiretap.

Of course you did. He was in my office and picked up the picture and was looking at it. His fingerprints should definitely have been on the frame. Find the real culprit.

by I am the Danger!reply 21608/12/2012

[quote]Of course you did. He was in my office and picked up the picture and was looking at it. His fingerprints should definitely have been on the frame. Find the real culprit.

Yes, but Hank is keeping a little tally in his head (the two cellphones last week) of the dozens of little question marks he has about Walt. Fingerprints would be a major red flag in Hank's mind.

by I am the Danger!reply 21708/12/2012

Other than the final scene, this was a kind of crazy (implausible) episode. The magnets episode was far-fetched. This train "escapade" was really out there!

by I am the Danger!reply 21808/12/2012

Correct, R218, and even more implausible--both schemes were Jesse's ideas. Since when does he have that kind of mind?

by I am the Danger!reply 21908/13/2012

Thought this ep was a bit sloppy - did Jesse become a genius by osmosis? It just seems lazy to have another case where Mike & Walt are haggling over some dilemma and Jesse comes up with an ingenious idea. Aaaaaand, cue the caper. The "shocking" twist at the end didn't seem earned to me either.

And why would Walt spill a bunch of unnecessary information to Todd?

Incidentally, the actor who plays Todd, Jesse Plemens, reminds me of a young Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The way Hank kept calling the baby "his" makes me think she's there to stay.

[quote]Of course you did. He was in my office and picked up the picture and was looking at it. His fingerprints should definitely have been on the frame. Find the real culprit.

But his prints are also on the devices themselves, no?

by I am the Danger!reply 22008/13/2012

I must have missed an episode.

What caused Skylar to change from gleefully laundering the money to now outright disgust at Walt's business ?

by I am the Danger!reply 22108/13/2012

r221 - Skylar's been disillusioned since the beginning of this season. I think you missed more than one ep.

by I am the Danger!reply 22208/13/2012

LANDRY NOOOOOO!!!

by I am the Danger!reply 22308/13/2012

[quote]What caused Skylar to change from gleefully laundering the money to now outright disgust at Walt's business ?

It seems like it was the killing of Gus Fring in the nursing home that made her realize how much of a criminal Walt has really become.

by I am the Danger!reply 22408/13/2012

R220, Jesse's transformation has been gradual, since he got clean. He's also become the moral center of the show since Brock almost died and he thought he was implicated. He's the only character that thinks of the impact of his actions on other people, save Skyler's fears for the kids.

He's always been bright, he was just fucked up on drugs and emotioally stunted. He's matured a lot.

by I am the Danger!reply 22508/13/2012

R224 it was also that she found out the hitmen came to their house armed to kill Walt and anyone else in the house. That's was made her fear for the kids' lives and then when Walt killed Gus that sealed the deal that he was not a victim of mean old hitmen but a stone cold killer himself. She doesn't trust Walt or anything he's associated with now.

by I am the Danger!reply 22608/13/2012

R225 well put. Jesse's transformation to good juxtaposed against Walt's into bad has been a pleasure to watch unfold.

by I am the Danger!reply 22708/13/2012

Not just Gus' killing, R224, but Walter's chilling exultation and growing megalomania. Skyler is terrified of him, having finally admitted to herself that being a meth cook didn't just mean doing chemistry experiments and bringing home bundles of cash. She's also been horrified at his change in character since observing his meltdown in the crawlspace. He doesn't acknowledge that he's exposing the family to intolerable levels of danger. He's also sadistically disregarded Skyler's fear and revulsion, making unilateral decisions about returning home and re-entering their bed, where he's forced himself upon her sexually. (The later was implied in a few scenes; a more explicit one was apparently trimmed). Skyler knows she's complicit and has Benecke's blood on her hands also, but she doesn't try to fool herself or justify her behavior with Walt's bullshit about looking out for family.

by I am the Danger!reply 22808/13/2012

r225 - Maturing, sure. And I'll even buy that he has much better street smarts than Walt. But the gadget-based capers that now flow from his brain are a stretch. He's not that kind of smart.

by I am the Danger!reply 22908/13/2012

God, that ending.

I thought that was FNL's Landry, haven't seen him in a while.

I love Lydia Rodarte-Quayle, she's a hysterical, nervous mess.

by I am the Danger!reply 23008/13/2012

I don't get why Jesse didn't go ballistic on Walt for putting his life in danger. He almost got run over by the train because Walt wouldn't settle for a little less methylamine. That was Walt's hubris at work again. Can Jesse not see Walt treated him as expendable, as long as their meth train kept rolling?

by I am the Danger!reply 23108/13/2012

I'm glad this show is ending. Jesse has gone from a drug-addled fuckup to a criminal mastermind and patron saint of women and children. Enough. Time to end the series.

The actress who plays Lydia is ten kinds of awful. And how does Lydia know about a dead zone where a Great Train Caper can take place?

Who thinks maybe the Tarantula Kid is injured, not dead, but Walt will kill him to make sure there are no witnesses? Vince has been warning us from the beginning that Walter is going to do something tres heinous. He's been hinting at child murder since the one-eyed raspberry teddy bear landed in Walter's swimming pool.

by I am the Danger!reply 23208/13/2012

[quote] clean. He's also become the moral center of the show since Brock almost died and he thought he was implicated.

Nope. Hank is the moral center of the show, warts and all. He's never wavered, his job is to wipe out the drug scourge and he's always kept his end of the bargain. When he beat the living shit out of Jessie, Jessie deserved it (though Walt deserved it more since it was his idea, though Hank didn't know it).

by I am the Danger!reply 23308/13/2012

I can handle Walt's transformation and Jesse turning into a criminal mastermind, I just can't deal with the idea that everything has happened in the course of one year. 3, maybe 2 if you push it, but there's no way it all fits in 365 days.

Every time they mention that one year nonsense I wince.

by I am the Danger!reply 23408/13/2012

[quote]Incidentally, the actor who plays Todd, Jesse Plemens, reminds me of a young Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Apparently, you are not the only one to think so, as Jesse Plemons was cast as Hoffman's son in 'The Master'.

The idea of Jesse coming up with crazy plans actually goes back a ways, although he's certainly managed to finesse them now that he's got a clear head.

In '4 Days Out' it was Jesse who gives Walt the idea for making a battery (right between 'robot' and 'dune buggy). Jesse is a much more creative thinker than Walt, and more likely to come up with out there solutions.

In the scene where he's watching Mike and Walt argue yet again, he's siphoning his coke through a straw and then letting it loose again. Not a stretch for him to think up the idea if he's expressly trying to find a way to a)not kill anybody in this robbery, and b) still keeps 'Mr. White' happy by supplying him with the tools to ramp up production.

But Mike and Walt are the ones that help bring his idea to fruition. We're never led to believe that Jesse has thought out every tactical move. He's got some assistance.

What's smart about Jesse coming up with the solutions is that it's all really inadvertent. His main objective is in trying to keep the peace between his two partners and he's been continually successful at it.

I think this bodes well for Jesse's redemption. He's eventually going to use his emerging brain power to figure out a way to cut clean from these two and the business.

by I am the Danger!reply 23508/13/2012

Bump. Love this thread, more insights please.

Agreed that Jesse being an ideas man feels a bit out of character... His a ha moment almost felt repetitive. It's also weird how he doesn't seem to realize he's being played by Walt. There have been a couple of episodes where he stares after Walt after he's said something that doesn't sit quite right, but he still trails after him like a puppy.

Wondering why Todd was carrying a gun and was so quick to shoot the kid. Not the move on a petty criminal. It was a very cool, controlled gesture. Wonder what his story is.

Very powerful ending. Damn, I love this show!

by I am the Danger!reply 23608/14/2012

[quote]it was also that she found out the hitmen came to their house armed to kill Walt and anyone else in the house.

She mentioned this to Walt but I can't remember how she knew about it -- did he tell her?

by I am the Danger!reply 23708/14/2012

The final moments of the last episode with the great train robbery was such a copout.

Turns out that the "new guy" was only introduced to shoot the little boy on the bike. It's as if the director really wanted to take the show to a really dark place, but didn't have the guts to have one of the main characters do the dirty work. It would have made much more sense, though been much more upsetting, had Walt or Jesse killed the kid. They have everything at stake here. In particular Walt, with all the build up with his wife being convinced that their own kids are in danger. I was really disappointed that the show pulled its punches.

by I am the Danger!reply 23808/14/2012

This show is so awesome. I thought Todd was going to be the one to get shot. One thing though--I thought the kid's reaction was a bit odd. I am not quite sure why he looked so perplexed or accusatory at what they were doing as it was obvious he could've had NO idea what they were doing.

by I am the Danger!reply 23908/15/2012

R238, it seems to me the show has always been about the inadvertent consequences when you go down a dark path.

by I am the Danger!reply 24008/15/2012

R234 is right -- the problem is that they've kept the timeline so tight. I wish they would have allowed six months to pass between last season and this season. Every time they point out that only a year has passed, it reminds me of how ridiculous it is.

There's a reason they keep shaving all the actors' heads -- in real life, they've all progressed from full heads of hair to baldness.

by I am the Danger!reply 24108/15/2012

I don't particularly find it hard to believe only a year has gone by. Not much time passes in an episode, each episode picks up not long after the last one, as does each season, each season only has a dozen or so episodes... There's no reason time has to pass in a show at the same rate it does in real life.

by I am the Danger!reply 24208/15/2012

I have mixed feelings about the Great Train Robbery episode or whatever the fuck its title was. Hope Breaking Bad isn't about to jump the shark.

by I am the Danger!reply 24308/15/2012

No shark. No jump. Killer episode!

My sincere wish is Aaron Paul and Giancarlo Esposito can EACH get a Best Supporting Actor Emmy.

by I am the Danger!reply 24408/19/2012

Agree, R244. The dinner scene alone made it a great episode.

by I am the Danger!reply 24508/19/2012

Skyler could actually go to the DEA and get immunity from prosecution.

by I am the Danger!reply 24608/20/2012

[quote] Turns out that the "new guy" was only introduced to shoot the little boy on the bike. It's as if the director really wanted to take the show to a really dark place, but didn't have the guts to have one of the main characters do the dirty work.

I was sickened when they took apart and destroyed the kids motorcycle and then the kid. That was dark.

by I am the Danger!reply 24708/20/2012

R247, do you not remember Andrea's 12 year-old brother getting murdered?

This show has always been dark. Vince said this season was going to be the darkest yet and he's delivering.

by I am the Danger!reply 24808/20/2012

I've realized I really don't want Jesse to die. Maybe Jesse being redeemed will be the counterpoint to Walt's self-destruction. Though I doubt it.

It was agonizing watching Walt reject his last chance to walk away.

by I am the Danger!reply 24908/20/2012

R249, not really once you heard him explain the "Grey Matter" business to Jesse. He sold out for $5K and founded it and it went on to be a billion dollar business. This is his next and probably only chance to realize what he wanted, to be the king of an empire. He never wanted to be a high school chemistry teacher. He wanted to much more.

He wants to be the boss of an empire now and sees that it's within his grasp and this time will not let it go.

by I am the Danger!reply 25008/20/2012

Fuck, the plan to sell the methylamine was brilliant.

But no, Walt just has to say 'fuck that'. It's not about the money for him anymore. $5 million would've been plenty to leave as a legacy for his family.

Now it's all about Walt stroking his massive ego, which he's always had but managed to control. It's hubris time now.

by I am the Danger!reply 25108/20/2012

So what's Walt's genius plan from the previews, that will get Mike and Jesse their $5 million and keep him in business? Will he ask Declan for an advance in exchange for supplying his Phoenix distribution outfit with the blue crystal?

by I am the Danger!reply 25208/20/2012

R251: Ironically, Skyler's lie about Walter having a gambling addiction has come true. He's unable to take his ample winnings and walk away from the table. He's going for broke, and that's where he-and the family whose economic security he's ostensibly securing-will inevitably end up.

by I am the Danger!reply 25308/20/2012

[quote]He's unable to take his ample winnings and walk away from the table.

Good point. However, please keep in mind that Walt started off this season flat broke. The $600K they had saved in last season all went to Skyler's boss and his IRS bill, remember?

by I am the Danger!reply 25408/20/2012

That's true, R254, but now he has the chance to net $5 million and make all he other problems go away. Well, maybe not Skylar's animosity, but the many dangers associated with meth business. It's the perfect chance to cash in but he's addicted to the risk and the feeling of invincibility he solidifies with each successive "triumph".

by I am the Danger!reply 25508/20/2012

Is Ted paralyzed?

by I am the Danger!reply 25608/20/2012

r253 has it . He's addicted. Perfect summary.

by I am the Danger!reply 25708/20/2012

Can I exhale yet?

by I am the Danger!reply 25808/26/2012

HOLY. SHIT.

by I am the Danger!reply 25908/26/2012

I guess there aren't many Walt fanboys now around after what transpired tonight, eh?

by I am the Danger!reply 26008/26/2012

Are we allowed to spoil in this thread before it airs on the west coast? Or does it air on both coasts simultaneiously?

by I am the Danger!reply 26108/26/2012

IT doesn't air for another hour but I have to go to bed and won't be able to stay up and watch so I'd LOVE to know.

Anyone who bitches about people spoiling things know better than go near a show's thread until they'd seen it themselves. That would normally be me but I have an early schedule Monday.

by I am the Danger!reply 26208/27/2012

Great episode! Wow...

by I am the Danger!reply 26308/27/2012

Someone's pushing up daisies R262.

by I am the Danger!reply 26408/27/2012

Jonathan Banks was wonderful. The look at the park and his final scene? Emmy worthy.

by I am the Danger!reply 26508/27/2012

I agree r265

by I am the Danger!reply 26608/27/2012

I imagine anyone reading this thread after an episode has aired expects to find details, right? If they haven't seen it and don't want to be spoiled they'd avoid the thread? That said, [bold] SPOILER AHEAD! [/bold]

Even though it was set up all season, I kept hoping Mike would get away. But even at the end as he was describing Walt's faults to a T - his ego, his pettiness, his impulsivity -- he managed to miss the violence Mike was capable of. And oddly, Walt's panic after he shot Mike, particularly when he couldn't find him, humanized Walt again for two seconds. It shattered the Heisenberg facade. We know it won't last, but it would have been satisfying to see Walt so badly shaken if it weren't for this particular reason. There's something of a Shakespearean tragedy unfolding now, with the body count extending to the core players.

Interesting possible alliances in the near term: Walt and Lydia, Skyler and Jesse. It looks like Walt is trying to turn Todd into his Jesse surrogate; good luck with that. Jesse's prison connections will doubtless prove useful in dispatching Mike's nine guys, but Walt's an idiot to trust him.

by I am the Danger!reply 26708/27/2012

Ooops, I meant Mike missed the violence WALT was capable of. ^^^

by I am the Danger!reply 26808/27/2012

Ugh - and I meant Todd's prison connections- that's what I get for posting at 2 in the morning.

by I am the Danger!reply 26908/27/2012

R268 thanks for the correction, was wondering if we saw the same episode.

As soon as Mike saw the gun had been removed from the holster he knew Walt had it and was prepared to use it.

I'll miss Mike, An amazing character and Jonathan Banks acted the hell out of it. He deserves an Emmy nom next season the way Giancarlo Esposito got an Emmy nod as Gus last season (to be revealed in next month's Emmy's telecast).

Even though they'll be both going up against Aaron Paul who is amazing on all levels and gets more scenes with Bryan Cranston, who needs to have his name on the Emmy for drama for the next 2 award seasons. Tonight's episode should secure him the 2013 Emmy. It was blazing.

Best show on television...so far ahead of anything else like it.

by I am the Danger!reply 27008/27/2012

"Shut the fuck up....and let me die in peace"

by I am the Danger!reply 27108/27/2012

[quote]As soon as Mike saw the gun had been removed from the holster he knew Walt had it and was prepared to use it.

That's true, R270. But wasn't that after he'd confronted Walt? I may be remembering wrong, but I think Mike turned back and vented after Walt demanded thanks. Then he walked to the car, opened the bag and noticed the gun was missing, and Walt shot him through the window before he could do anything. In some ways it was Mike's inability to keep his mouth shut and do his job--the same thing he called Walt out for--that literally triggered Walt and got himself killed. Mike did get the last word though: "just shut the fuck up and let me die in peace".

Totally agree on the Emmy worthy performances--and writing-- all around. Paul's expressions in the scene where Jesse walks away from Walt, his guilt and power tripping, and his money-- was phenomenal. It probably sealed Jesse's doom, but I felt like cheering.

by I am the Danger!reply 27208/27/2012

Why aren't there more posts for this series? Heck, each *episode* of Mad Men got HUNDREDS of posts. We're over halfway through the season of BB and only 272?

by I am the Danger!reply 27308/27/2012

[quote]And oddly, Walt's panic after he shot Mike, particularly when he couldn't find him, humanized Walt again for two seconds. It shattered the Heisenberg facade. We know it won't last, but it would have been satisfying to see Walt so badly shaken if it weren't for this particular reason.

We also saw the old Walt when he was playing chemistry teacher to Todd.

r260 - Just about, but as much as I loved Mike's character, it's not as if he doesn't have plenty of blood on his hands. Walt will be taken out, but I still don't want Jesse to be the one.

by I am the Danger!reply 27408/27/2012

I love Breaking Bad, but with my crazy life this past month, I've missed a lot of the new season. I'm so glad I was able to watch this episode tonight as it's right up there with the best I've seen on this show. The focus on Walt and his relationships with Jesse and Mike -- just wow! It was nice to see only a little Skyler and Hank -- just enough. But, someone fill me in, is Hank Jr, the son, dead as he wasn't eating dinner or whatever with Walt and Silent Skyler tonight.

by I am the Danger!reply 27508/27/2012

r275 - The kids are staying with Hank & Marie, so I suppose Walt Jr is sorta Hank Jr these days.

by I am the Danger!reply 27608/27/2012

No idea, R273. It amazes me too.

[quote]We also saw the old Walt when he was playing chemistry teacher to Todd.

I agree, but as my partner pointed out, Walt needs an audience more than he really needs an assistant.

As far as Mike's character goes, it's his love for his granddaughter that redeemed him. Same as Jesse's protectiveness of kids, and perhaps Lydia's. Jesse finally saw through Walt's sham "love" for his family. Skyler is willing to give up her kids for their safety. Even Gus was humanized by his enduring love for Max, the boy he saved from the streets (and his possible lover). Walt ends up with a stand-in for his original surrogate son, the only person who's as morally bankrupt as he is.

Question: does Mike's lawyer know Walt's identity? Could next episode be when Hank finally puts the Walt + Heisenberg pieces together?

by I am the Danger!reply 27708/27/2012

The next episode is the last one for this year, isn't it? So it could very wellbe the episode when Hank figures it out, R277. But whatever happens, I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger

by I am the Danger!reply 27808/27/2012

Skylar's a phony. All she needs to do is go to Hank to end things. I don't think Mike loved his granddaughter anymore than Walt loves his kids. They all have blood on their hands.

by I am the Danger!reply 27908/27/2012

I'm not sure, R279. Mike seemed to protect his granddaughter more than Walt his children. I can see him throwing Walt Jr under the bus if his existence or identity is in danger.

Just because Walt constantly tells everyone he wants to protect his children (and family) doesn't mean he is doing it to the max. Seems like more of a justification for what he is doing than anything else.

by I am the Danger!reply 28008/27/2012

I wasn't expecting that ending at all.

by I am the Danger!reply 28108/27/2012

R279, if Skyler goes to Hank, she destroys his career and sends herself and Walt to prison. Having ripped apart the Shrader-White family bond, her kids are left without any parents.

If Walt truly cared about his kids, he'd have taken the $5 million buy-out and removed the constant threat of danger from their lives. He doesn't even acknowledge that danger is real. His megalomania has eclipsed his parental identity.

by I am the Danger!reply 28208/27/2012

Have we ever seen Mike's granddaughter Kaylee's parents? Was Mike her doting grandpa or was he her primary caretaker?

As his story played out, he disappeared for good without explanation. Just like Lydia's fear with her daughter- that the child would think she'd just abandoned her.

by I am the Danger!reply 28308/27/2012

If the DEA were going to arrest a prime suspect like Mike, why would they send a couple of uniform patrol cars? Also, they had to have him under surveillance to know to send them to the park, so why wouldn't they have been prepared for him to try to run (or, more sensibly, do it somewhere more confined)?

by I am the Danger!reply 28408/27/2012

R284, Hank wasn't officially tailing Mike. His DEA boss cut his surveillance budget to $0. They tailed Mike's lawyer anyway and caught him making the bank deposits to pay off Mike's "nine guys". Gomez told Hank they'd gotten the lawyer to finger Mike after a 14 hour interrogation. They made the lawyer call Mike under the pretense he needed a face to face conversation, and Mike told him he was at the playground. Because the DEA wasn't officially allowed to tail anyone, they used uniformed police to bring him in. The regular cops didn't recognize him immediately, which gave him the chance to slip away.

by I am the Danger!reply 28508/27/2012

What was Hank seeing in those pictures of Mike? I couldn't make out what had grabbed his attention?

by I am the Danger!reply 28608/27/2012

I don't think the pictures showed anything. There was one of Mike at the swings with Haylee, one of him in the diner, and one other. I think Mike was just obsessing over Mike trying to figure out his m.o. since the DEA's search of his house had come up blank.

by I am the Danger!reply 28708/27/2012

for a moment-after Walt removed the bug from the office--the pov when Hank re-entered made it looked like there was video surveillance on Hanks office

by I am the Danger!reply 28808/27/2012

Mike had to ask him to stfu and let him die in peace. Walt has gone right over the edge. Taking that dimwit kid shooter in as a trainee partner! Everyone is his pawn, but he is unable to take in anything that doesn't serve his power trip.

He has to be killed. Just a question of who will kill him before he gets caught by Hank. I think it will be Jesse.

by I am the Danger!reply 28908/27/2012

Do we really know why Walt left Gray Matter and sold his shares?

by I am the Danger!reply 29008/27/2012

My vote is for the cancer to kill him. That's the one thing his ego/power trip can't control. Besides, that would bring the show full circle. It started with Walt's cancer diagnosis (as impetus) and ends with Walt's demise from cancer. I believe cancer is as much of a character on this show as any of the "humans." It's just been kind of forgotten as Walt's arrogance and megalomania has taken over.

It will be back. That's my prediction.

by I am the Danger!reply 29108/27/2012

That "dimwit kid shooter" took copious notes during the meth cook and refused payment.

Do we think he's somebody's agent? Probably not a law enforcement entity given the shooting. Who else? The cartel? Declan? I think there's more to Tod than has been revealed thus far.

It's clear Walt is going to use Tod's prison connections to start offing Mike's guys in prison. He probably won't need to kill many of them. Two or three will send the message to the others to keep their mouths shut.

by I am the Danger!reply 29208/27/2012

I really hope that isn't the way this ends. But it would be a great scene. Jesse might show up before the end. But Walt all alone in a hospital room, last shot.

by I am the Danger!reply 29308/27/2012

We all knew this was coming but it was still terrible when it happened, just like Lane Pryce on Mad Men.

And of course asshole Walt had to say to a dying Mike: I just realized I can get the names from Lydia! Your death is more pointless now!

Loved the little "Vamonos" moment between Jesse and Skyler, and Jesse calling her Mrs. White.

by I am the Danger!reply 29408/27/2012

I hope Jesse falls off the wagon and ends up on cam4's party tab. Can you imagine it, Blue Tina? Queens would kill to go on cam with him.

All kidding aside I love Walter and I hope he makes it. I want Skyler to take a dirt nap, while Hank and Marie get sent to the DEA in Washington.

Walt can marry some blonde with big tits to run the car wash, and Walt Jr joins the family business. Now that's a good ending.

by I am the Danger!reply 29508/27/2012

[quote]All kidding aside I love Walter and I hope he makes it. I want Skyler to take a dirt nap, while Hank and Marie get sent to the DEA in Washington.

[quote]Walt can marry some blonde with big tits to run the car wash, and Walt Jr joins the family business. Now that's a good ending.

Someone is smoking Walt's most recent batch.

by I am the Danger!reply 29608/27/2012

Something's brewing between Skylar and Jessie. I sense they're going to become allies, perhaps even lovers.

I'm glad Lydia's coming back. She's such a great character.

by I am the Danger!reply 29708/27/2012

Must see video of the behind-the-scenes stuff for the last episode. Sad and funny and sad. Johnathan Banks seems like a real mensch.

by I am the Danger!reply 29808/27/2012

[quote]Do we really know why Walt left Gray Matter and sold his shares?

He fell in love with his partner's wife.

by I am the Danger!reply 29908/27/2012

I think that's actually unclear, R299. Gretchen is now married to Elliot Schwartz. They're partners in Gray Matters, which they originally founded with Walt. Gretchen was Walt's lab assistant in grad school and his romantic interest before she married Eliot, I believe. Gretchen's family had money, and they mention her taking Walt home for a weekend. He left abruptly and then quit the fledgling business. I got the impression she married Eliot on the rebound (could be wrong about this, maybe she was married and Walt was an affair), and that Walt's pride may have been wounded due to real or imagined slights from her family as well as feeling undervalued at Gray Matters.

by I am the Danger!reply 30008/27/2012

Never mind, R299. I checked the AMC website and you are right. Gretchen was married to Eliot when she and Walt had an affair. He left both her and the company abruptly without explanation.

by I am the Danger!reply 30108/27/2012

[quote]I'm glad Lydia's coming back. She's such a great character.

Me too, she's a hot, nervous and tense mess.

by I am the Danger!reply 30208/27/2012

FYI Lydia played a main character lesbian in the Scottish version of the L Word :" Lip Service." Look it up on Youtube.

by I am the Danger!reply 30308/27/2012

When Hank was looking at photos, I though one of them had Walt. He paused for a moment. But it was still quick

by I am the Danger!reply 30408/27/2012

Awww, Banks made me tear up with his "So now you know, I'm a cupcake" in that clip at r298.

by I am the Danger!reply 30508/27/2012

I saw Lip Service on Netflix. The "Cat" character possessed the same neurosis as the Lydia character on BB... the actress has clearly nailed that character trait.

I wasn't a fan of the L Word but I really like Lip Service. The characters are less shallow.

by I am the Danger!reply 30608/27/2012

I loved that song that was playing when Walt was teaching the new guy how to cook - it was badass, whoever it was.

by I am the Danger!reply 30708/27/2012

That may be the first time ever that a Monkees song ("Goin' Down") has been called "badass"!

by I am the Danger!reply 30808/27/2012

The MONKEES??!!

Never saw THAT coming! Well anyway, it was badass for THEM.

by I am the Danger!reply 30908/28/2012

Finally watched this ep. R259 said it: HOLY. SHIT. I also wholeheartedly agree that Jonathan Banks deserves next year's supporting actor Emmy for this episode (Aaron Paul can get it the following year for the series' final episodes).

I did not AT ALL see Mike's death coming, but then again, I also didn't see Lane's coming on "Mad Men." Apparently I'm oblivious.

I am truly at a loss to figure out what will happen next week alone, let alone over the course of next year's episodes. I saw the snippet on AMC's Web site with Walt trying to get the names of the nine guys from Lydia, but there's no guarantee she'll give them to him; as she points out in the clip, those names are her only guarantee that Walt won't off *her* as yet another loose end. Also, how on earth is Jesse going to stay in the fold if he's retiring from the business? I can't think of any reason at this point why he'd go back into it, unless Walt's prediction of him getting bored and going back to using comes true (which it easily could).

As for Skyler, I only see one path for her, and it's the same one Adriana went down on "The Sopranos": she blabs to the DEA, and Walt takes her out.

Finally, as for Walt's own ending, we've already seen it foreshadowed in the first episode of this season. We have no idea why he's fled to New Hampshire after an apparently substantial amount of time, long enough for his hair to grow fully back, but it's obvious in that short scene that his cancer has returned. I don't know how it'll all end, but it will have to be in a fashion that allows the audience to see Walt pay for his now-many sins, unless he somehow humanizes himself fully again (which I very strongly doubt). If the producers end it with some vague Sopranos-style bullshit, I will totally go postal!!

by I am the Danger!reply 31008/28/2012

Fuck, I fucking hate Walter. HATE him.

Walter's always had a gigantic ego, but he was mostly able to keep it in check before the cancer hit. His ego did briefly rear its ugly head during the Gray Matter period.

But when Walter realized that he was the best meth cook in existence, the ego metastasized, just like his fucking cancer tumors.

That's what I think Breaking Bad is ultimately about, hubris and how it can completely destroy a man and everyone he loves, just like in a Greek tragedy.

The body count isn't finished either. I predict Skyler, Walter Jr. and Holly will die. I think Jesse will be so completely destroyed emotionally that he'd be better off dead. Saul will wind up arrested. Ditto Lydia.

Walter and Hank will be the last ones standing. Classic good vs. evil. And at this point, I'm rooting for Hank.

by I am the Danger!reply 31108/28/2012

Aw now I'm *really* sad, R298!

by I am the Danger!reply 31208/28/2012

People seem to overlook (or forget) that Mike was just as a cold killer as Walt is now. He was a hitman and killed countless of people and initially didn't even hesitate to kill a mother of a young child.

He is just a bit more likeable than Walt because his ego is still in place

by I am the Danger!reply 31308/28/2012

It's more than that, R313. It's hard to explain, and if you don't get it I don't think you ever will.

by I am the Danger!reply 31408/28/2012

R310, Walt is NOT in New Hampshire at the beginning of episode one. The car he is taking (or getting something out of) has New Hampshire plates, and I think he mentions he is form there (or coming from there). I remember this because the waitress was quizzing him about how far New Hampshire is from Boston.

by I am the Danger!reply 31508/28/2012

Walter has a devastating realization...

by I am the Danger!reply 31608/28/2012

Mike lives by a code and he's not greedy. One of the tricks of the writing is we wind up thinking this hit man is the good guy.

by I am the Danger!reply 31708/28/2012

Jessie going to go ballistic if he finds out Walter killed Mike, especially after Walt lied again and said no one else would die and Jesse told him that was bullshit. Jesse wanted to hang with Mike after they both got out but Mike knew that could never happen.

by I am the Danger!reply 31808/28/2012

All signs point to Jessie kills Mr. White at the end. But just before he pulls the trigger, he calls him "Walt."

by I am the Danger!reply 31908/28/2012

I wonder if Jesse even finds out, R318. Walt might dispose of the body like he has done with every other body he has had to get rid of-drop it in the acid.

Everyone will think Mike just skipped town, as it was what he was planning to do anyway.

I am not quite sure why Mike could not get the bag himself, though. Seems like a plot hole.

by I am the Danger!reply 32008/28/2012

[quote]I am not quite sure why Mike could not get the bag himself, though. Seems like a plot hole.

Or why Mike trusted Walt to get the bag instead of Jesse.

by I am the Danger!reply 32108/28/2012

R311, Walter is like most kingpins or super successful drug workers (and even dictators). They all end up getting a big ego towards the end. That's what gets them in trouble. Walt could have gotten out of this with millions and millions

by I am the Danger!reply 32208/28/2012

[quote] What was Hank seeing in those pictures of Mike? I couldn't make out what had grabbed his attention?

I have a feeling he something that points to Walt. Maybe Walt's car in the background

by I am the Danger!reply 32308/28/2012

Mike couldn't get the bag himself, the cops were looking for him and the airport would be a good place to start.

Mike didn't want Jesse to get the bag, because he wants to protect him. Although he didn't trust Walt, unfortunately Walt was the only game in town. And if the cops caught Walt, why would Mike care?

by I am the Danger!reply 32408/28/2012

R320, I just think that Walt killing Mike is another step towards the inevitable deadly showdown between Jessie and Walt, unless Vince Gilligan is going to go all Soprano-finale on us and do something no one ever saw coming--actually, I guess THAT'S what we should really expect...

by I am the Danger!reply 32508/28/2012

Didn't Mike think the lawyer was going to get the bag? I thought Walt only announced he would get the bag after Mike had hung up?

by I am the Danger!reply 32608/28/2012

Saul couldn't get the bag because, as Mike's attorney, he suspected (with good reason) that he'd be tailed to the airport. Jesse (and please stop spelling it "Jessie," people) didn't go because Mike wanted to protect him. That left Walt. R326, Mike was still on the phone when Walt offered to get the bag. How else would they have coordinated a meeting spot if Mike hadn't known Walt was retrieving it for him?

R315, I did not say that he was *in* New Hampshire in the opening scene of the season; I said that he HAD BEEN there. I'm pretty sure the scene itself took place back in Albuquerque, where Walt had returned after a lengthy absence, for reasons we don't yet know (either why he left or why he came back). Although there haven't been any other "flash-forwards" this season, unlike all the ones foreshadowing the mid-air plane collision a couple of seasons ago, it wouldn't surprise me if thw "mid-season finale" on Sunday ended on another foreshadowing note.

by I am the Danger!reply 32708/28/2012

R310/R327: "We have no idea why he's fled to New Hampshire after an apparently substantial amount of time, long enough for his hair to grow fully back, but it's obvious in that short scene that his cancer has returned."

Well, it sounds like you said it to me...but whatever.

by I am the Danger!reply 32808/28/2012

The real antagonists here are Walter and Hank, not Walt and Jesse. Walt and Jesse's relationship is closer to Walt and Skyler's - a marriage gone bad, trust destroyed.

RIght now jesse's out of the game, but something will have to bring him back. I think it will involve Declan and his gang--Walt idiotically identified himself AND Jesse as the two best meth cooks in the country. The deal with Declan has gone too smoothly. Maybe Walt pulls some asshole move and Declan's guys kidnap Jesse to cook for them the way the Mexican cartel did?

I think a humbled, dying Walt (no longer Heisenberg) comes back from New Hampshire to marginally redeem himself by rescuing Jesse, maybe when the DEA is on to Declan's operation, and sacrifices himself in the process.

No idea what happens with everyone else, though if I had to guess, Walt Jr dies (maybe in his souped up car); Marie dies; Skyler turns Walt in and gets away with Holly via witness protection, and Hank - who kills Walt - ends up triumphant and alone. An Ahab who gets his Moby Dick but loses everything in the process.

by I am the Danger!reply 32908/29/2012

I have a feeling when all the dust settles, it will be Todd who's left as hereditary kingpin, peddling a less-than-perfect product, since his mental capacity for bsorbing the trade was limited.

In other words, business as usual, the way it was before the great legendary Heisenberg (sp?) ruled the Southwest with top quality meth and terror.

by I am the Danger!reply 33008/29/2012

Re Todd: Does anyone here ever watch Teen Mom?

Just asking.

by I am the Danger!reply 33108/29/2012

R330, Todd's the wild card in all this. At first I thought his note taking during the cook had something to do with being an agent, but now I'm wondering if it's eventually evidence against Walt. Todd gets pulled in by the cops, possibly for something unrelated, and they find the meth notes. Walt was off on such a master teacher ego trip during that cook I doubt he considered the danger of having it all recorded. We've already seen a notebook's liability with Gale.

Or maybe you're right and Todd uses the notes to become a sub-Heisenberg level chef for Declan.

by I am the Danger!reply 33208/29/2012

R288 is right. There is a camera in Hank's office. Walt placing and removing the bug is on tape. Bet on it.

R331, Todd totally looks like Maci's boyfriend Kyle! That was the first thing I thought when I saw him.

This show is so phenomenal. Can't believe there's only one episode left this year. How will I get through the winter with no Breaking Bad?!

by I am the Danger!reply 33308/29/2012

[quote]This show is so phenomenal. Can't believe there's only one episode left this year. How will I get through the winter with no Breaking Bad?!

AMEN to that.

by I am the Danger!reply 33408/29/2012

[quote][R288] is right. There is a camera in Hank's office. Walt placing and removing the bug is on tape. Bet on it.

Looks very much like it to be honest. I've watched the scenes in Hanks office again and I noticed that in the corner where the camera might be is a huge ass plant. The plant however wasn't there in Episode 5 when Walt visited Hank for the first time. It might be that Hank didn't finish "decorating" his room as he was still unpacking his belongings in Episode 5 but maybe he deliberately put the plant (or tree more like) there to not draw attention to the camera.

Could it be that Hank is starting to or is suspecting Walt without us knowing? I've always assumed that we'll see Hanks big Aha moment when it happens but I wouldn't put it past the creators to not let us see the moment or only in flashbacks. Maybe we'll get to a scene where Hank tells Walt he has been suspecting it or he knew for quite some time.

by I am the Danger!reply 33508/29/2012

The camera angle sure suggests a hidden camera. Hank would not have to suspect anyone in particular to install the camera. He may just sense there is a leak.

I just typed "Walt" by mistake. Hank and Walt are such similar names.

by I am the Danger!reply 33608/29/2012

[quote]What was Hank seeing in those pictures of Mike? I couldn't make out what had grabbed his attention?

The point of that scene was that he was still obsessing over the Gus case instead of listening to what was going on in the meeting. The music and the direction implied that he was going to have a breakthrough, but I think all they were trying to convey was that he was tuning out everything else he should have been focusing on.

by I am the Danger!reply 33708/29/2012

Lol thanks, R333!

by I am the Danger!reply 33808/29/2012

Next season has to be all about Hank and Walt. It has to be.

by I am the Danger!reply 33908/29/2012

Why wouldn't Walt, being a smart man, figure out that Hank's office might have hidden cameras? I know he had no choice but to remove the bug, but it's kind of weird that they're playing it like he's got no idea about that possibility. I knew by the way they were filming Walt when he stood up by the pics that there was some kind of camera in the room.

by I am the Danger!reply 34008/29/2012

I agree that the final showdown must be between Hank and Walt. And I think Walt will provoke Hank into killing him in a suicide-by-cop scenario.

by I am the Danger!reply 34108/29/2012

If there is a camera in the office, don't you think Hank (or someone) would have checked it since the bug was planted?? If he suspects something, then I would think they would be checking the camera daily, or at least every other day. I do not think there is a camera, and I do not think Hank suspects Walt at all--whhich means it will be a TON of bricks hitting him when he does find out.

by I am the Danger!reply 34208/29/2012

[quote]The real antagonists here are Walter and Hank, not Walt and Jesse. Walt and Jesse's relationship is closer to Walt and Skyler's - a marriage gone bad, trust destroyed.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Jesse has no idea (yet) that Walt poisoned his girlfriend's son. There has not yet been a breach of trust between the two of them; Jesse's quitting the game because he's racked with guilt about *Todd* killing the kid on the motorbike. Walt, personally, has nothing to do with it.

Also, Hank doesn't have a hidden camera. Why on EARTH would he be recording HIS OWN office if he doesn't know his phone's been bugged? (which he clearly does NOT, given the candor of his phone conversations) Walt has already given Hank plenty of reasons to be suspicious, starting with him supposedly winning all the funds to pay for Hank's own rehab via "blackjack." (Yeah, it's real common for high school chemistry teachers to come home from Vegas with upwards of a million bucks...) If there's anything he'd bug, it'd be *Walt* (and his house), not his own office (which Walt rarely, if ever, visits; have we ever seen him visit Hank at work before?). You can't judge anything solely from the camera angle; one of the show's trademarks is shooting things from unusual POVs.

by I am the Danger!reply 34308/29/2012

That video camera shot at Hank's office was TOO obvious. This is not "Mork and Mindy" or "Three's Company." Also, it followed Walt's noticing a tri-pod cardboard presentation of hard-copy cam shots, which maybe gave Walt the idea that surveillance was a possibility.

I think the actual shot was a representation of what was going on in Walt's mind, after seeing those pics. As in, "holy shit they could be recording this room!" It became a warning for him to step up the back-watching. But that's it.

Also, why are so many posters referring to a "next season?" I thought this was the last one. Please explain!

by I am the Danger!reply 34408/29/2012

R344: The tripod cardboard presentation was of the bank's safe deposit box room. It was the family members of Mike's guys picking up their payouts. "Next season" refers to the back 8 episodes from this season, which won't air till next summer.

R343: Beg to differ about trust between Jesse and Walt. Jesse's finally seen through Walt's facade(s). He knows that Walt only feigned remorse about the kid's death, that Walt wants to rule an empire, not secure his family's future. He knows Walt's lecture to him about honesty with family (which Walt used to manipulate Jesse into breaking up with Andrea) was bullshit, and that Skyler now detests Walt. He saw through Walt's attempt to cajole and threaten him into staying on as partner, even though it meant walking away from his $5 million. Jesse may not (yet) know Walt's role in Brock's poisoning or Jane's death, but Walt has definitely destroyed any remaining trust between them.

by I am the Danger!reply 34508/29/2012

I just realized that Bryan Cranston played the father in "Malcolm In The Middle". I know, I'm retarded.

But I have to say that with this new found knowledge Malcolm plays like a bizarro version of Breaking Bad...It's actually quite disturbing.

by I am the Danger!reply 34608/29/2012

R343, the phone is not bugged--his office is. When Hank is on the phone, you only hear one side of the conversation. The bug was in the picture.

R344, the final season is split in two. So Sunday will be a finale until the last eight episodes air sometime in 2013. I heard next summer. It's semantics really.

by I am the Danger!reply 34708/29/2012

[quote]That video camera shot at Hank's office was TOO obvious.

...on a show that makes a point of being as oblique and opaque as possible. Uh-huh. I'm thinking you're reading too much into a red herring, hon.

R344, as already explained, the final season of the show has been expanded and split into two. As opposed to the 13 episodes of previous seasons, this one will have 16 total and is split in half, with the remainder airing next year. Btw the rest of the show and final ending have already been filmed; I saw it mentioned a few weeks ago that the show has wrapped for good, and that only a tiny handful of people & crew were present for the filming of the final scene, to preserve secrecy (and it wasn't included in the script distributed to the rest of the cast). No one knows (or, at least, is blabbing) either who's *in* the scene or what happens, but apparently it wraps everything up. I did hear that the entire current cast is in the final episode, but OTOH so are Mike and Fring, who obviously have to appear either in "flashbacks" or as ghosts, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

by I am the Danger!reply 34808/29/2012

[quote]Jesse has no idea (yet) that Walt poisoned his girlfriend's son.

Well, he must have an inkling since he almost blew Walt's head off over it.

by I am the Danger!reply 34908/30/2012

R349, you're forgetting that Walt conned him by stashing the ricin-filled fake cigarette in Jesse's Roomba.

by I am the Danger!reply 35008/30/2012

I realize Walt fooled him, but he's somewhere past "no idea." When he saw Walt pretend to be devastated by the death of the motorbike kid, then whistle cheerfully, I sure the suspicion came back to him.

by I am the Danger!reply 35108/30/2012

[quote] ...on a show that makes a point of being as oblique and opaque as possible. Uh-huh. I'm thinking you're reading too much into a red herring, hon.

You completely missed my point, “hon.” I’m not falling for blatant red herrings. As a matter of fact, I happen to be in complete agreement with you, as underlined by the shows I used as points of contrast.

My argument is that, for this show, the video camera angle would be TOO obvious a device to actually mean that they were literally being surveyed. Breaking Bad is much more devious and subtle until it delivers the goods – unlike, say, Three’s Company where you see the confusion or “surprise” coming a mile away.

I thought the cam-view shot was more a representation of Walt’s own paranoia/thought process (“...Big Brother's watching!”) triggered by having seen actual surveillance pictures from the bank.

by I am the Danger!reply 35209/01/2012

Oh, and for the love of stage musicals, what was the tune Walt was whistling? A few times I thought I had it, and then it escaped me. Sounded like a show tune.

by I am the Danger!reply 35309/01/2012

I love Skyler in this episode. How much is enough Walter?

by I am the Danger!reply 35409/02/2012

OMFG Hank now knows, and we have to wait until next year. FUCK FUCK FUCK

by I am the Danger!reply 35509/02/2012

Ok...someone will have to refresh me on the meaning of that book. I forget.

by I am the Danger!reply 35609/02/2012

HOLY.

SHIT.

Great episode!!!!

by I am the Danger!reply 35709/02/2012

[quote]Ok...someone will have to refresh me on the meaning of that book. I forget.

Me too. However I am guessing it's not the book per se but who the gifter was. It said "G.B." Is the "G" Gayle? I don't remember his last name.

by I am the Danger!reply 35809/02/2012

Ah, yes...Gale Boettecher.

by I am the Danger!reply 35909/02/2012

Is that true about meth in the Czech Republic? If it is, then damn, no wonder there's so much Czech porn.

by I am the Danger!reply 36009/02/2012

r357's signature killed me.

Previously, Walt "helpfully" told Hank that the quote in Gale's notebook was by Walt Whitman (Gale had attributed it to W.W.). Gale was a fanboy of both Whitman and White.

Why Walt didn't at least slice that page out of the book Gale gave him, I don't know. Leave it to a small detail to unravel the Heisenberg empire.

by I am the Danger!reply 36109/02/2012

If Jesse was smart, he would take his money and use Saul's guy to get a new identity and disappear forever. If he was smart.

I thought for sure something bad was going to happen with the baby and that pool.

I wondered how long it would take for the 24/7 babysitting to get old.

I wonder how much the 10 hits cost.

It's hard to make a mortgage payment in cash. So even if you have $10 million sitting around the house, you can't do that much with it.

by I am the Danger!reply 36209/03/2012

Walt's being his old self again because his cancer is back.

I do not want him to get busted by Hank!

by I am the Danger!reply 36309/03/2012

Hank would be able to break Skyler in 15 minutes, 10 if he drags her into the office and does it in an interrogation room.

by I am the Danger!reply 36509/03/2012

My guess is the actor who played Gus will win the Supp. Actor Emmy this year, then Jesse next year (for this season), then Hank for the final year because it's gonna be an epic season for him. I've always loved Hank and can't wait for the cat and mouse game that's pending...

Great season Mr. Gilligan!

by I am the Danger!reply 36609/03/2012

Walt is awful and Hank is the good guy, but I still don't want Hank to take Walt down and figure it all out. It may not turn out the way it seems but that was a great ending. They've ruined one of my favorite songs by Nat King Cole, I'll always be reminded of those brutally violent jail scenes whenever I hear it.

God, that humongous stack of money in the storage unit.

by I am the Danger!reply 36709/03/2012

Hank's got a challenge: he can build the case against Walt in numerous ways, but most of them will also involve destroying the entire family and his career. Can he isolate Walt and protect the rest of them? Will his sense of morality allow that? Will he track Walt to Lydia and Todd, but not Jesse now that he's out of the business? Will Skyler tap Jesse? Saul?

And what of poor Jesse? He's an emotional basket case. Does he make it out alive, eaten by guilt? Become an addict again to kill the pain?

by I am the Danger!reply 36809/03/2012

[quote]Hank's got a challenge: he can build the case against Walt in numerous ways, but most of them will also involve destroying the entire family and his career. Can he isolate Walt and protect the rest of them? Will his sense of morality allow that?

How strong is his sense of morality? A storage unit full of hundred dollar bills can tempt anyone. The DEA fucked him over once already and he isn't cutting it as a manager, so why not?

The entire show is about people being corrupted, so why is it a given that Hank is the one pure soul amongst them?

by I am the Danger!reply 36909/03/2012

What was the significance of Jessie pulling out the gun after he received the bags of cash?

by I am the Danger!reply 37009/03/2012

He thought Walter was there to kill him, R370. Jesse is another loose end. He picked up the gun before he opened the door.

by I am the Danger!reply 37109/03/2012

[quote]What was the significance of Jessie pulling out the gun after he received the bags of cash?

He looked through the peephole, saw it was Walt and went to get the gun. He assumed Walt was there to kill him (not a bad assumption), and tossed it away in relief afterwards.

by I am the Danger!reply 37209/03/2012

R370, Walt is paying a visit to Jesse after the nine guys were murdered in prison--Jesse knew that (he stated that Saul told him). He probably thought Walt was tying up one last end by getting rid of him. Afterall, Jesse knows everything as well, and he can easily flip.

I can't believe we have to wait a year for the final eight episodes.

by I am the Danger!reply 37309/03/2012

Could someone please clarify for me why the 10 guys who were murdered were actually all in prison? I could see them being arrested for their connection to the Fring case but some would get out on bail and the rest would probably be held in the county jail until their trials, depending on the evidence against them. But for all of them to automatically be sent to prison doesn't seem to make sense.

by I am the Danger!reply 37409/03/2012

I don't think Hank will be corrupted. Walter will confess that he was Gale's coach, needing the money for his cancer treatment. That's the source of the "gambling" money. But he will deny knowing Fring. He will say he was out before Gale was killed. Hank will keep it to himself for the sake of the family and his career and out of guilt that his rehabilitation was paid for with the drug money.

The rest of the season will be cat and mouse as Hank tries to figure things out and Walter decides if he has to kill Hank. Hank will drag Jesse in.

by I am the Danger!reply 37509/03/2012

They were being paid to plead guilty and keep quiet.

by I am the Danger!reply 37609/03/2012

We know Walt's on the run from the flash forward. We just don't know when it starts.

by I am the Danger!reply 37709/03/2012

I think the guys in prison were probably being held without bail--considered flight risks (since Fring's operation crossed borders) but not high enough on the food chain to afford great lawyers.

by I am the Danger!reply 37809/03/2012

Todd has positioned himself to be the next kingpin extraordinaire. He's been a good, if somewhat limited, pupil and has the cold blood for it.

by I am the Danger!reply 37909/03/2012

You can't be a kingpin without controlling distribution. Speaking of which, how is Declan going to feel when he finds out a portion of his meth is being diverted to Europe?

by I am the Danger!reply 38009/03/2012

I wonder if anyone is out there who really cooks pure stuff or if it's just a lot of hillbilly's in the desert.

by I am the Danger!reply 38109/03/2012

[quote]We know Walt's on the run from the flash forward. We just don't know when it starts.

Walt had his 51st birthday at the beginning of this season, which meant the first 4 seasons took place over a single year.

In the flash-forward he was 52 per the pancakes (1 year out)

This single episode spanned at least 3 months from the jail hits to Walt declaring to Skylar he was "out".

We can assume he's "out" because he's now used up all the Methylamine he got from the train.

by I am the Danger!reply 38209/03/2012

Wouldn't the best place for a meth lab be on one of Lydia's company owned cargo ships?

You have ready access to the chemicals, plenty of time to cook, and no fume exhaust problem at sea.

by I am the Danger!reply 38309/03/2012

Brilliant ending to part of this season! I have no doubt that Vince Gilligan will not disappoint when he finally wrap this up with the remaining episodes.

Is it true that we have to wait until the summer time to see the remaining episodes? Well, I guess Hell on Wheels and The Walking Dead can hold me over until then.

by I am the Danger!reply 38409/03/2012

As long as Declan is getting paid, he shouldn't care, R380.

by I am the Danger!reply 38509/03/2012

Prediction:

Walt will end up paying off Hank. Hank will let it slide since everything is "over" and there is no active investigation involving the DEA.

The flash forward will end up being Walt against Lydia/Declan/Todd who are trying to tie up a "loose end".

by I am the Danger!reply 38609/03/2012

Hank *would* take a dump while visiting someone.

by I am the Danger!reply 38709/03/2012

Declan isn't "paid. " He makes his money by selling the meth for more than he pays Walt to produce it. He bargained for the full 1,000 gallons, and Lydia is making money off the diverted product.

by I am the Danger!reply 38809/03/2012

Once Todd learns how to cook on his own, why wouldn't he kill Walt? His uncle's contacts could provide distribution.

by I am the Danger!reply 38909/03/2012

I mostly agree with that, R389. The character of Todd has been introduced and built up for more than the supporting role he's played so far. But I think he can already cook on his own. Otherwise Walt would not be able to walk away. (Assuming he did walk away.)

by I am the Danger!reply 39009/03/2012

I just had a horrible thought: Todd kills Jessie.

by I am the Danger!reply 39109/03/2012

Didn't Walt decide to keep cooking until the Methlymene was gone?

Assuming it's now gone, Todd or whoever, will have to find a new supply.

Do Todd and Lydia even know each other?

by I am the Danger!reply 39209/03/2012

Jesse's got 5 million. He should hit the road. Being Jesse he will fuck things up for himself.

by I am the Danger!reply 39309/03/2012

r390 - Supposedly, Walt made the decision to get out, but Todd may not know that yet. We don't see Todd cooking on his own.

When Skylar mentioned spraying the money for silverfish, it made me wonder if something equally random will be Walt's downfall.

by I am the Danger!reply 39409/03/2012

Remember Walt's inertia comment, R393? It looks like Jesse can barely leave the house let alone town. Saul could buy him a new identity but he's not functioning well enough to pull that together. In some ways Jesse's worst punishment would be to live with his guilt.

by I am the Danger!reply 39509/03/2012

What are silverfish and why would they get on the money?

by I am the Danger!reply 39609/03/2012

Bugs. They eat paper and fabric.

by I am the Danger!reply 39709/03/2012

I live in the midwest and never heard of silverfish.

by I am the Danger!reply 39809/03/2012

Did they kill the lawyer that busted Mike??

by I am the Danger!reply 39909/03/2012

Yes...they are all dead, R399.

by I am the Danger!reply 40009/03/2012

Yes, Mike's lawyer was the first one to die in the jail-slaying montage. He was the fat guy on the pay phone who got stabbed a bunch of times in the gut.

by I am the Danger!reply 40109/03/2012

R385, I have read all replies in this post but season 5 is the last season. The other seasons have 13 episodes but the last season has 16. They are broken into 2 time periods. The first 8 have already aired. The final 8 will air next summer. In essence there will be 6 seasons with season 5 and 6 having 8 episodes each.

I predict Walter's cancer will do him in before Habk gets the proof he needs to arrest him.

by I am the Danger!reply 40209/03/2012

r399 - he was the one killed talking on the phone during the whole killing sequence

by I am the Danger!reply 40309/03/2012

Having him die of cancer would be a cop-out.

by I am the Danger!reply 40409/03/2012

[quote]Didn't Walt decide to keep cooking until the Methlymene was gone? Assuming it's now gone, Todd or whoever, will have to find a new supply.

My understanding is that 1,000 gallons of methylmene would supply them for years.

by I am the Danger!reply 40509/03/2012

No way Walt's partners are going to let him retire.

by I am the Danger!reply 40609/03/2012

If they have the methylene and the recipe, why not?

by I am the Danger!reply 40709/03/2012

[quote]Having him die of cancer would be a cop-out.

I disagree. This is how he will die. It's been there since the first show and we have gotten reminders of it all along. This will be Walter killing Walter, not "the bad guys" killing Walter.

Cancer is both the beginning (impetus) of this show and will be the end (closure).

by I am the Danger!reply 40809/04/2012

Wish I could get some of the blue stuff!

by I am the Danger!reply 40909/04/2012

The scene by the pool at the end was so fucking intense. My mind imagined someone getting cut down like Walt Jr. or the baby. This show is built on moments like those that are still raw the day after you see them. I felt a little let down by the actual ending in that it seemed somewhat contrived with Hank just by chance finding the book and then the inscription and then getting a wave of recognition of Walt's guilt. That may just be the fact that this is not technically a finale scene but a half way point in the actual season. I wish they had just gone ahead and shown all 16 eps and been done with it. I hate to wait a year to get to the finale. I miss this show already.

by I am the Danger!reply 41009/04/2012

Anyone else disappointed in the lack of realism this season?

by I am the Danger!reply 41109/04/2012

R411--Are you talking about Marie's carpet?

by I am the Danger!reply 41209/04/2012

I was at times but then the show would kick back into gear and I got back into it. Jessie's schemes were a little on the goofy side dramatically but overall the acting and the writing make these moments mere blips that don't detract from the greatness of the show.

by I am the Danger!reply 41309/04/2012

R412: Marie singlehandedly brought the purple/lavender color palette to the southwest so STFU.

by I am the Danger!reply 41409/04/2012

How is Walter dying from a cancer an example of "Walter killing Walter?"

I think true just desserts would be Walter being killed by his wife or son.

by I am the Danger!reply 41509/04/2012

[quote] We can assume he's "out" because he's now used up all the Methylamine he got from the train.

I don't assume that at all. He told her he was out and then they showed him cooking more meth. I think he just lied to her. I doubt he could have used up all that Methylamine. They had enough to last a year or two

by I am the Danger!reply 41609/04/2012

What is the DEAL w/ the purple and Marie? Is she royalty? What does it mean?

by I am the Danger!reply 41709/04/2012

Just for the record, has the series officially wrapped and next season is already sitting on the shelf or not?

by I am the Danger!reply 41809/04/2012

Remember when Walt was trying to persuade Jesse to stay in the business, he said they'd deal with the moral implications desert bike kid's death when they were done cooking in a year and a half. That implied they had enough methylamine to last a long time. It seems unlikely that Walt and Todd plowed through it all in just a few months, no matter how frenetic their pace.

by I am the Danger!reply 41909/04/2012

I believe I read that the cast and crew will reunite later this fall or early in 2013 to film the last 8 episodes of the series, R418.

by I am the Danger!reply 42009/04/2012

[quote] He told her he was out and then they showed him cooking more meth. I think he just lied to her.

R416, The cooking montage came before Walt told Skyler he was out. After she shows him the storage locker money, you get the CAT scan scene, Walt visiting Jesse, and then the "I'm out" moment in the kitchen, followed by the final backyard family/Hank bathroom scenes.

We don't know how Walt negotiated his retirement with his business partners, but I don't think there's any reason to believe he was lying.

by I am the Danger!reply 42109/04/2012

They are still writing the last eight episodes, R418. Filming won't start until late November/early December sometime and they are slated to wrap around March.

Vince Gilligan has been giving a lot of interviews since Sunday. He's being so vague while dropping hints about the writing and it's driving me nuts!

by I am the Danger!reply 42209/04/2012

I don't think he was lying either, 421, but I think, in fitting with the whole Michael Corleone parallel they had going in this episode, that Walt is going to get sucked back in whether he wants to or not.

Cue buying an M60.

by I am the Danger!reply 42309/04/2012

[quote]Cancer is both the beginning (impetus) of this show and will be the end (closure).

Which is exactly why I think Walt will suck Hank in. The meth is the cancer, and it's completely indiscriminate. It will destroy everyone it touches, including Hank.

by I am the Danger!reply 42409/04/2012

I have mixed feelings about that episode, it feel like they crammed waaaay too much in and the timeline is fuzzy. Walt comes back from killing Mike, gets 10 people in prison killed, starts distributing internationally, becomes a millionaire, decides he's out, reconciles with family.

I think someone mentioned that the timespan of this episode was 3 months; I think it was three months since the kids moved to Hank and Marie's house, which means this paticular episode probably covered events over the course of a month or so? Still very tight. Despite the sheer awesomeness of the show, I had to suspend disbelief a few times.

Didn't in a million years expect Hank to put it all together in that way; why did Walt have the book? Did he steal it or did Hank give it to him?

by I am the Danger!reply 42509/05/2012

The book was a gift from Gale, right?

One thing Im wondering, why did Lydia's warehouse guy get arrested? Firing's methlymene was supplied by Chow (who seemed to be independent of Madrigal) so there should be no evidence linking the warehouse to Fring's operation.

by I am the Danger!reply 42609/05/2012

[quote]The book was a gift from Gale, right?

Yes. But according to this fabulous recap (see link) we have never seen Gale giving the book to Walt (or even seen the inscription). The book has turned up before, we see Walt reading the book in the 6th episode of season 3.

by I am the Danger!reply 42709/05/2012

8 eps just isn't very satisfying, is it? Kind of like eating three potato chips.

by I am the Danger!reply 42809/05/2012

I see... So during the flashback where we see Hank guess who WW is, he was actually in Walt's house? Interesting.

by I am the Danger!reply 42909/05/2012

One thought on predictions based on symbolism: this is a show that focused on oranges dropping to the ground when Ted crashed into the wall. You show oranges, somebody dies -- those are the rules. But Teddy B is still doing fine (on a scale of one to Dennis, at least). So who knows which foreshadowing is for real and which is incidental/misleading.

by I am the Danger!reply 43009/05/2012

I disagree that the Whitman book is some sort of lazy Deus ex Machina that can somehow be contrasted with the "real police work" Hank employed to crack the Fring case. Dumb-ass Gale left all the evidence out for anyone to find IN HIS OWN HOME too because he had no reason to think anyone would ever find it, but it's not like he had beakers and bunsen burners and blue meth lying around his house either. Cops rarely make cases appear out of nothing. They often rely on the slip-ups of even the most careful criminals. If anything, Gale was Fring's "Leaves of Grass". So why knock Gilligan for this device? Because we are convinced Walt is the smartest human being on the face of the earth. Never mind the fact that he bought not one but two muscle cars that no unemployed high school teacher who WASN'T cooking meth could ever hope to afford.

No. There is nothing lazy about it. It was fortunate, just like all leads are fortunate. And remember: if Hank doesn't do all that "real police work" in making Gale's death more than just a random home invasion, then the note on the front page of the book is just as meaningless as a Pollos Hermanos place mat.

Would some fanboy with way too much time on his or her hands like to produce some fan fiction and totally rewrite this storyline so that Hank can Rumpelstiltskin the hell out of this case? Please don't. You will only embarrass us both.

by I am the Danger!reply 43109/05/2012

I believe the painting that Walt comments on in the motel room with the Aryan Nation guys is the same one he gazed at in the doctor's office right before his diagnosis of cancer waaaaaaay back in Season One.

by I am the Danger!reply 43209/05/2012

Since Todd has been brought on board he shot a kid because the kid knew too much and could have talked, helped dispose of Mike who was killed because he knew too much and could have flipped (as far as Todd knows it wasn't completely about Walt's ego) and helped oversee the killing of 10 more who knew too much and could have flipped. It's basically how he was trained in the business. And given the Mike factor- loyalty and honor were not a part of that training. So if Todd has taken on a more senior role in Walt's absence it's pretty much inevitable he'd kill Jesse and it's not entirely his fault. I think the fact that Todd knows Walt killed Mike shows him what he will need to do to survive.

So I think Todd will kill Jesse, Walt will confront Todd only to realize it was his fault/actions that caused Jesse's death and end up making himself an enemy of his empire. All of this separate of course from Hank closing in on the other end and the cancer coming in from above. The walls are definitely closing in on Walt.

by I am the Danger!reply 43309/05/2012

R432, the painting is first introduced via close-up in 'Bit By A Dead Bee' after Walt has his 'fugue state' in order to explain his disappearance.

by I am the Danger!reply 43409/05/2012

Gilligan interview -

by I am the Danger!reply 43509/06/2012

I just finished season one on Netflix. Always heard friends talk about how good this show was. I don't get it. I find it kinda dark and depressing. Does it get better? I'm on the fence about continuing with season two.

by I am the Danger!reply 43609/11/2012

Jane, Brock, Mike. Jesse is going to lose his shit on Walter.

by I am the Danger!reply 43709/11/2012

R436, I have heard some fans say they didn't get into the show until season two. I loved it immediately, and by the third episode I was hooked, but even if you don't take to it right away, it could be a matter of just getting comfortable with the tone.

It IS dark, but the early seasons were definitely meant to be more black comedy than anything, with some very poignant scenes thrown in. The characters really grow over time, it's quite incredible. And the acting is superb. I've not seen a cast so uniformly excellent before.

I'd recommend staying with it at least until the middle of season two, then see how you feel about it.

by I am the Danger!reply 43809/11/2012

Thanks r438 I will stick with it for now.

by I am the Danger!reply 43909/11/2012

R439, you won't regret it. The character development and acting on this show are first class. By about the third season I felt it had blown away The Sopranos.

Stick with it.

by I am the Danger!reply 44009/12/2012

[quote] By about the third season I felt it had blown away The Sopranos.

Let's not get carried away.

by I am the Danger!reply 44109/12/2012

By this past season I knew for sure it had, R441.

by I am the Danger!reply 44209/12/2012

I just noticed something. When the prison killer guys are plotting, doesn't one of them say "this is gonna be harder than getting Osama?" or "This is gonna be harder than getting Osama was"?

For some reason I remember thinking that he seemed to be implying that Osama Bin Laden had already been killed. But doesn't Breaking Bad take place in 2008/2009?

Other than that (and I could have misheard it) it seems like they are pretty good about making this a "period" piece. Few topical references, no iphones, etc.

Aside from Anna Gunn's weird weight gain/loss (beyond the baby) and her rather dramatic face/hair changes, it's all pretty consistent.

I wonder how many "Holly's" they've gone through.

by I am the Danger!reply 44309/13/2012

You are correct about the Osama gaffe, R443. The show actually starts in 2007. That was one of its rare continuity errors, which Vince Gilligan has acknowledged in an interview. He said they try hard to be accurate but do occasionally lose track of details. The show has gotten so complex that it now takes the writers three weeks to block out and then fill in each episode, as opposed to one week when the show started.

by I am the Danger!reply 44409/13/2012

I'm anticipating a Walter/Jesse showdown next year. It's been a long time coming. Jesse needs to know all the shit Walter's done and he needs to get revenge.

by I am the Danger!reply 44509/17/2012

r445 - I hope it doesn't come to that. That would be such a boring, predictable way to wrap it up.

by I am the Danger!reply 44609/17/2012

I don't think Jesse is going to KILL him, but I do think he's going to find out what happened and will come at Walter. I mean, we as fans need that release I think. It's been building up for 5 seasons.

At this point I don't think anything will truly "shock" me. Even if his wife or son kill him, I can totally see it happening in this grim world.

by I am the Danger!reply 44709/17/2012

Cancer IS the Emperor of all maladies.

by I am the Danger!reply 44809/17/2012

r449 - How would that benefit Walt Jr?

by I am the Danger!reply 45009/17/2012

My friend's children have been in school with Bryan Cranston's children for the last few years and I hear he is a super nice guy. Which makes his acting on this show even better.

by I am the Danger!reply 45109/21/2012

r449 - I don't want Walt Jr. to find out, he will be ruined. I do feel sorry for his mother since Walter Jr. seems to blame her for all the problems.

by I am the Danger!reply 45209/21/2012

I can't believe Aaron/Jesse beat out Giancarlo/Gus for the Best Supporting Actor Emmy. Granted, they both did a great job but "Gus" blew me out of the water this past season. I would have bet the farm that he would have won. He was very gracious in his congratulations to Aaron.

And clearly I'm going to have to see "Homeland" now since it beat out "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" my 2 favorite shows.

by I am the Danger!reply 45309/24/2012

Giancarlo was ROBBED. Since Aaron Paul already won they should've given the award to Esposito, he deserved it for his amazing portrayal of Gus Fring.

by I am the Danger!reply 45409/24/2012

Let's not get carried away. Esposito was hardly robbed. He was rewarded not only with the nomination, but getting such a fantastic character to begin with and making Gustavo Fring so memorable. Actors don't get parts like that very often.

The other nominees were all very strong. Lots of people were pulling for Harris and Dinklage as well. But Aaron deserved that Emmy for his astonishing work in season four. In a world where Bryan Cranston has three Emmys, Aaron Paul deserves just as much to be a multi-winner, too. That show is enriched by their combined work together. Every scene between Walt and Jesse is the show at its best.

by I am the Danger!reply 45509/25/2012

I think that was Gus playing the gay baby daddy in 'Waiting To Exhale'. He looked so different then.

by I am the Danger!reply 45609/29/2012

Iam currently watching episode 3 so iam not quite up to date. but wooow, marie is such a noisy annoying bitch, walt jr. is a brat too, i find none of the characters likeable anymore. Walt and jessie cant control themselves at all. if i were walt i wouldnt have put up with skylar, i would never have married her.

by I am the Danger!reply 45710/12/2012

What was in the bag when walt talked to his lawyer?

by I am the Danger!reply 45811/11/2012

R58, care to expound on which particular episode/season you are referring to? I might be able to answer your question with more info.

by I am the Danger!reply 45911/11/2012

When do new episodes start?

by I am the Danger!reply 46002/12/2013

Mid-July. Otherwise known as FOREVER FROM NOW DAMMIT

by I am the Danger!reply 46102/12/2013

So I watched season 1 with my free streaming trial on Netflix. Wow, this is amazing. I finally have a TV show to watch.

Oddly this is not shown in the UK, almost everything like this is. Yet it has a cult following on DVD. All the seasons were on Netflix but I decided to watch at my own pace and get the DVD boxsets - and now I'm just gonna wait as the Blurays are coming out. Can't wait!

So far early on beautiful Aaron Paul is a bit wooden and disappointing considering what I'd heard, I'm sure he'll pick up soon.

Bryan Cranston really is amazing though, he reminded me of Richard Jenkins. If he gets the right part in a film he'll get an instant Oscar nom or win.

by I am the Danger!reply 46205/04/2013

R462 Yes I think you'll find Aaron Paul gets just as "amazing" as Bryan Cranston and for me, it was their evolving relationship -- first ex teacher/student, then illicit business partners, then again another shift as you see the stakes and death toll become higher -- that made me really get into this show. Also, I live on the West Coast of Canada and have yet to get to the SW United States, so the New Mexico shots etc. are interesting to me as well.

I can't wait for the season end, although I wish it didn't have to end.

by I am the Danger!reply 46305/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.