Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I want a dog

I live alone in a small condo, work 9-5 about 25 miles from home, but I'd like to have a dog.

I figure I could keep my dog friend in doggy day care on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and then keep him or her in a crate on Tuesdays and Thursdays but have a dog walker visit once or twice a day.

I'm thinking of adopting an older rescue dog, possibly an older pomeranian or older labrador retriever.

Would this kinda life be cruel for an older dog? I'd like a companion, but I don't want to be selfish.

Should I get a dog or would a dog be better off with a retiree or a family?

by Anonymousreply 7304/12/2013

Go with a lab. We have one mixed with Dane and he is a couch potato. But why crate when you're not home if you housebreak and have a dog walker?

by Anonymousreply 107/14/2012

If you have someone in to give it walks and company, you are not cruel. Just bear in mind that any new pet will need some time to settle in so if you can have a bit of time off to allow that, it would help. I hope you find a good match, and giving an older dog a home and your companionship is a great thing. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 207/14/2012

Get a dog. Also consult doggy day care to see if they have tips on how to have your dog at home Tuesdays/Thursdays without using a crate.

by Anonymousreply 307/14/2012

I want a dog,

A chihuahua

When I get back to my small flat

I want to hear somebody bark

Oh, you can get lonely

by Anonymousreply 407/14/2012

Do not ever get a dog and put it in a cage. That is so cruel.

by Anonymousreply 507/14/2012

Find a good rescue group and tell them what you so honestly told us, OP, and they'll make a match. We used NY Pet Rescue and loved them.

BTW, Lulu looks pretty cute!

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2012

It's great you're thinking of adopting an older dog! Labs and Poms are so opposite - why those 2 breeds?

Labs are lovely but they shed a lot and even older ones can require a lot of exercise. Plus they take up a lot of space. If you're up for that, great.

Agree about not needing to crate the dog. And be careful about the daycare you choose. Older dogs can be vulnerable, particularly small breeds if you go with a Pom.

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2012

Get a kitty instead.

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2012

OP, you are so clever. Every time you post one of these threads posing as a wannabe dog owner, you get everyone in a tizzy wringing their hands over how best to treat a dog.

Well played again, my friend, well played.

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2012

r9 - I always fall for the pet trolls.

by Anonymousreply 1007/14/2012

I love you, R4.

by Anonymousreply 1107/14/2012

Assuming OP is for real...why on earth would you keep a dog in a crate?

by Anonymousreply 1207/14/2012

I have a pom from a pom rescue group. Cutest thing ever and very, very smart and alert. Loyal, loving, and perpetually happy little dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1307/14/2012

R7, your question reflects the most revealing part of OP's post. Pom? Lab? How to choose?

Then sit back and see how many people ask your question or weigh the pros and cons between big athletic dogs and little lap dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1407/14/2012

My parents caged my brother's chihuahua 22 to 24 hours a day. My brother's friend gifted the dog to my brother. Never give a pet as gift!!!

by Anonymousreply 1507/14/2012

[quote] Get a kitty instead.

Don't want a cat,

Scratching it's claws all over my

Habitat

Giving no love and getting fat

Oh, you can get lonely

And a cat's no help with that

by Anonymousreply 1607/14/2012

r14 - Haha, I walked right into it. Overall, a great troll post with a number of positive & negative details for all the dog-lovers to debate or offer advice about.

by Anonymousreply 1707/14/2012

Crate? Really? Such obvious PETA bait.

by Anonymousreply 1807/14/2012

And, not just crate, but crate an older dog.

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2012

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place, OP. I think it's great... with the exception of the crate. I'm not going to flame you for suggesting a crate because they're NOT the worst thing in the world when used properly. I do, however, think that if you are matched up with the right dog you'll find the crate is not necessary.

As you search for your dog, make sure it will be comfortable going to daycare. Some doges thrive in this environment, while other can't handle it and are very unfriendly. You wouldn't want to stress the dog out, so just ask lots of questions of the rescuers to make sure the dog will be comfortable. You might even go so far as to ask if you can take the dog to daycare to see how it reacts before you commit to adopting.

Good luck! Please update us.

by Anonymousreply 2007/14/2012

My friend's office allows dogs to accompany the owner to work.

We need more pet-friendly workspaces.

by Anonymousreply 2107/14/2012

I take my dog, an energetic and mean dachshund, to day care every day. He loves it there, esp because he has five people playing with him and feeding him all day. He even goes on Saturdays for a half day because he gets bored all day staying home with me. it's expensive, but I know he is in an environment where he is loved at all times. A dogwalker would not work at all. He would bite them as soon as they walked in.

And he will not go in a cage. He'd rather be on the sofa or in bed, preferably with me.

by Anonymousreply 2207/15/2012

Crates are not cruel. Dogs love it. Ask all the dog trainers. Even Justin Silver on Dogs in the City told people to put dogs in crates. Only an ignorant person will think they're cruel.

by Anonymousreply 2307/15/2012

Listen to R9, people: OP is not real.

He's a jackass troll, trying to get responses.

Here's one more, fuckhead, but hopefully it's the last one this thread gets.

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2012

What about one of these?

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2012

[quote]I live alone in a small condo, work 9-5 about 25 miles from hom

Nope you're not home enough to have a dog. The longest you can be away from a dog is 4 hours in the day.

Sorry get a cat or a chinchilla instead.

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2012

Please DO NOT keep the dog in a crate - it is very cruel.

A dog needs to be walked at least three times per day.

You should not have a dog, OP,,,,PLEASE get a cat instead.

by Anonymousreply 2807/15/2012

Try your luck with goldfish first.

by Anonymousreply 2907/15/2012

I think keeping a dog shut up by itself in an apartment all day is utter selfish cruelty.

If you work all day, you get two so it can have companionship, or do without.

by Anonymousreply 3007/15/2012

[quote]Crates are not cruel. Dogs love it. Ask all the dog trainers. Even Justin Silver on Dogs in the City told people to put dogs in crates. Only an ignorant person will think they're cruel.

You know NOTHING about dogs. They like crates because they are similar to dens in the wild. But a dog can come and go out of a den. They are not locked up in them.

A crate is fine and a lock on a crate is fine if it's used to transport the dog or to keep the dog in a room while the cable man is working in your flat.

But a crate with a closed locked door is bad.

Apartments = Cats, gerbils, rabbits, and babies.

by Anonymousreply 3107/15/2012

I second R1 Labrador are lazy bastards.I had a boxador and while he had exhaustible energy when you played with him he was just as happy sprawled out on the lawn,floor,porch wherever he could lay down basically.

by Anonymousreply 3207/15/2012

People always think big dogs can't adapt to apartments. They can and do is long as they get a couple of daily walks as exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3307/15/2012

Jesus. Crating is not cruel if it's for a reasonable period of time. Any vet or professional dog trainer will tell you that dogs don't mind being crated, WITHIN REASON. In fact, crates make a dog feel safe.

That said, in my opinion crating a dog for longer than 8 hours without a break IS cruel, but if you plan to have a dog walker then you should be fine.

Personally, I wish more dog owners were as conscientious and caring as the OP. Any dog would be lucky to be rescued by you.

by Anonymousreply 3407/15/2012

[quote]Nope you're not home enough to have a dog. The longest you can be away from a dog is 4 hours in the day.

So basically no one who has a full time job should have a dog?!? Who the hell only work 4 hours a day except for retail queens?

by Anonymousreply 3507/15/2012

R31 = ignorant PETA freak who doesn't understand dogs

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2012

I agree 8 hours is a long time for a younger dog to be alone, as they get older they sleep most of the time you are out/or at work. I have a friend who works 10/11 hours a day and his dogs are alone. I think it is disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 3707/15/2012

I started to post to OP that he should let some time pass between horrible hand-wringing hound treatment troll posts. Then I saw that he already had a pretty good response volume, so my advice is not necessary.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 3807/15/2012

I want! I want! ME! ME! ME!

Fuck the dog.

by Anonymousreply 3907/15/2012

No, we don't, r21. No one should be forced to work with dogs if it wasn't part of their job description. And every restaurant that allows dogs should be shut down.

I have a neighbor who crates her dog nearly constantly. She's a psychotic cunt. She fosters other dogs and lets them free in her place and keeps her dog in a cage so small he can't stand or turn around 95% of every fucking day.

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2012

Why are the people who insist on free-range eggs the same ones who crate their dogs?

by Anonymousreply 4207/15/2012

What's obnoxious about nit wanting to work with dogs in a non-dog-related business? You're insane.

by Anonymousreply 4307/15/2012

r43 - Dogs are generally good for productivity and morale and they keep away the annoying prisspots.

by Anonymousreply 4407/16/2012

No, they're really not.

by Anonymousreply 4507/16/2012

They're not. They're noisy and smelly. I don't hate dogs, but I would be pissed if I had to be around them while I was trying to work considering my job has nothing to do with animals.

by Anonymousreply 4607/16/2012

Insanely loyal dog -

by Anonymousreply 4709/13/2012

I'm going to take a lot of heat for this but here it goes.....I am SICK of dogs and people with dogs. This whole world seems to revolve around kids and dogs. I often think people get dogs to avoid entering into real relationships with people. My entire complex of working professionals becomes a dog walk at 6pm every nite. Every idiot walking their dog and picking up dogshit after leaving that poor animal alone in a cage all day so they can come home and have it wag their tails and there to worship their masters and lick their faces. People being tied down, not able to go anywhere because "they can't leave Nelly alone", they can't find a sitter for "Trixie for an overnight"...what has the world come to???

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2012

Growing up, there was no leash law.

NOBODY walked their dogs.

EVERYBODY knew the neighborhood dogs names and who they belonged to. Very few dog fights. Very few dogs hit by cars.

Today WITH leash laws, I get the same amount of dog shit on my lawn (twice a week) as I used to with free running dogs, only now a human is standing there watching their dog shit on my lawn and doing NOTHING about it.

In some rural areas, it's legal to shoot dogs that are harassing your livestock.

I'm all in favor of shooting dog OWNERS who watch Fido take a dump in people's yards and make no attempt to pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 4909/14/2012

[R48], you have obviously not had the privilege of ever owning a dog. It's a shame to never have known the unconditional love a dog would give you. I just don't understand your anger over the subject. Maybe some of this adoration would do you some good. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 5009/14/2012

My dog was trained in a crate from a young age. I took two weeks off from work for training.

From the very first night she came home, I spent every night for a week on a sleeping bag by her crate. I then gradually moved her crate next to our bed on the second week and I slept in our bed with her open crate by my side.

During the day, I took her for many walks to bond with her, work off some energy and train her to eliminate outdoors.

Using chairs to mark her space, I opened up more and more space for her to explore. After two weeks she only used the crate for sleep at night and went there to sleep on her own.

I then adjusted my schedule to come home three times per day from work to keep that up. I did this for the next two weeks. You can do this all in 4 weeks, even if you have an office job, but it has to be 100%.

I hired a dog walker after 4 weeks. We were living in an apartment in NYC on the 14th floor and this worked.

by Anonymousreply 5109/14/2012

Dachshunds bring unparalleled joy.

by Anonymousreply 5209/14/2012

OP, you would be perfect for a dog. Very loving and concerned for their life.

I wish I could afford doggy daycare.

by Anonymousreply 5309/14/2012

Do t give it jerky treats! They are from China and they are poisoning pets. it was just on the news.

by Anonymousreply 5409/14/2012

r54, it was announced back in December at least. I heard it then, but that is when I heard it.. could be earlier.

My dog loved those chicken jerky, but no more.

If you read the labels so much is made in China. They aren't dog lovers like us.

Anyone else find a safe brand?

by Anonymousreply 5509/14/2012

Never get a dog if you're going to crate it all day long. That's animal abuse. If you don't have enough money to put it in doggy day care M-F, don't get a dog. But you're probably a selfish loser and will get one anyway. Poor dog. I only got a dog once I was FULLY self-employed and could hang with my dog all day. Dogs are not toys...they're basically small children.

by Anonymousreply 5609/14/2012

My partner and I adopted a pomeranian from a rescue group. Before her we had another beautiful Pomeranian who dies of cancer almost seven years ago. We have never had to crate either of them.

From my (albeit limited) experience: as vivacious, fun, loving and full of life as Pomeranianians are: whenever nothing's going on in the house (we have three other rescue dogs), they find a bed or a couch, or oddly enough, a tile bathroom floor-and they "sleep like a stone."

Literally, many days I have to wake our Pomeranian up to have breakfast with the others! She sleeps so deeply. As long as you have toys, even better a compatible companion, you should have no problem.

I suppose they expend energy in their excitement when they interact with people they make up for it by long stretches throughout the day and night of a deep, deep recharging sleep: we should all be so lucky.

One piece of advice-and again I'm only basing this on my two dogs (in my heart they're more like two daughters): keep your floors well-vacuumed and remove any stray strings from rugs, or worrn out dog toys, blankets, etc. They seem to have a bit of an OCD streak and can take it upon themselves to rid imperfections by eating them.

Good luck, as with all the dogs I have been lucky enough to be a "pet parent" too, they have brought me endless joy.

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2012

yeah, don't leave your dog home alone and annoy the neighbors.

A new neighbor just moved in and they leave their dog home alone and the choc lab is barking its head off for hours in the afternoon, totally annoying. I love dogs but hate my neighbors already for leaving the poor dog home alone.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2012

Get a dog... Adopt one and give it a good home. You sound like a caring pet owner!! Good for you

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2012

I also brought my dog to doggy daycare 4 days a week. She loved it and was really tired when I picked her up from all the playing during the day. I kept her home on Wednesdays because she seemed to like to have a day to snooze with a walk at lunchtime!

by Anonymousreply 6009/15/2012

As the OP posted in July I'm wondering if he/she ever got a dog.

OP, you sound like you'd be a great pet owner.

by Anonymousreply 6109/15/2012

Leash Laws are the worst thing to ever happen to dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6209/16/2012

Dogs are the best.

by Anonymousreply 6309/22/2012

I didn't get a dog, yet.

But, i'm going to meet a little guy named "Frisco", tomorrow from a local animal rescue placed called Muttville.

He's a Keeshound / Pom mix, 8 years old and is described as "quiet and happy"

Wish me luck!

by Anonymousreply 6404/01/2013

totally agree with R52.....dachshunds are amazing dogs....loyal, loving, intelligent and stubborn. They are the best!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6504/01/2013

Why not get a retiree? There are plenty of them looking for good homes. And some might settle for yours.

by Anonymousreply 6604/01/2013

Get a poor person

by Anonymousreply 6704/01/2013

Not practical, R67; they'd need a sturdier crate.

by Anonymousreply 6804/01/2013

R68. Good point. Probably harder to house train.

by Anonymousreply 6904/01/2013

Get the dog...however, I agree with the poster who claims caging the dog is cruel. If the dog is trained properly, It should not be a problem being alone in your condo. Maybe you have a neighbor or friend who is home during the day who would be willing to walk your dog 2x a day for a few bucks. That would be preferable over "doggy daycare". I have been out of work for several months due to health issues, and I walk several of my neighbors dogs while theyre working...its a win/win situation...I pick up a few bucks, and Im nowhwere near as expensive as doggy daycare. One of my neighbors caged her dog, and gradually i trained her and the dog to allow him out of the cage all day...hes a different dog because of it !

by Anonymousreply 7004/01/2013

I've had the dog for a week. He's an older rescue, a very cute pomeranian.

I've had to make a bunch of adjustments, but it's worth it. I've really grown to like the little fellow a lot, over the past few days.

by Anonymousreply 7104/12/2013

Good for you OP, but it's true the dog doesn't need a crate if he's house trained. My dog still uses the crate she has as a puppy as a hidey-hole, but the door isn't ever closed.

by Anonymousreply 7204/12/2013

very sweet

by Anonymousreply 7304/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.