Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are there any gay dating sites that are more relationship-based?

Maybe I've been watching too many gay romance movies on NetFlix (just rewatched Latter Days) but I'm ready to fall in love.

I'm not hot, but I have some good, substantive things going for me that you won't know about from a gay bar or a nude photo. I'm looking for those same substantive things from someone else.

Where do I find him?

I haven't dated in years and truth be told, haven't hooked up in a couple of years. It just got easier to enjoy my own company and not worry about diseases and all that stuff.

I'm in my 40s, upper-middle class, respected in my industry, sane to the point of boring, and have the money to travel and enjoy life. I'm smart, funny, and have have a rich social life dining and traveling with friends far and wide. But I'm very used to being the 3rd wheel or 5th wheel at a dinner party.

My guy doesn't have to be gorgeous. But I hope he's at least cute. It's fine with me if he's 25 lbs overweight because I certainly am. But I'm also muscular and not a total tub of goo. I would love it if he could play a guitar and sing me songs; that stuff makes me melt.

He needs to be comfortable outside the gay ghetto, because I don't hang out there much. Which of course, makes it that much harder to find each other.

Where to start? I'm ready to try, which is something I haven't been able to say in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

I'll marry you, OP. I don't play guitar, but I have an iPod.

by Anonymousreply 107/14/2012

[quote]I'm not hot, but I have some good, substantive things going for me that you won't know about from a gay bar or a nude photo.

Nor, apparently, from reading your post.

by Anonymousreply 207/14/2012

Only for Lesbians OP.

by Anonymousreply 307/14/2012

Yes. christianmingle

by Anonymousreply 407/14/2012

OP they don't really exist, even if there was a site that was set up for relationship oriented men it would quickly turn into a hook up site.

by Anonymousreply 507/14/2012

That's what Plenty of Fish has become, R5.

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2012

OKCupid isn't bad. OP: how's your dental hygiene? You sound like a catch honestly, but too many older men have bad braeath.

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2012

You say you want to find a meaningful, fulfilling relationship? Ok, do you have bad breath? WTF?, [R7].

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2012

Marry me I need sugar daddy

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2012

[R2] = bitch

by Anonymousreply 1007/14/2012

Men in their 40s aren't "older men with bad breath," asshole at R7.

That said, OP, I'd suggest both OKCupid and to find quality guys looking for a relationship. I've met several boyfriends, including my current one, on one or the other. Avoid Manhunt, Grindr and Gaydar, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1107/14/2012

Stay away from It's full of bots that will send you emails, etc., just to get you to buy the service.

by Anonymousreply 1207/14/2012

You may lack self-confidence, OP. You certainly do not sound like a loser, not at all. Try to find a gay bar that caters to older men. Then turn on the charm.

by Anonymousreply 1307/14/2012

Second OKCupid. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 1407/14/2012

R7, my dental hygiene is pretty spiffy... no cavities in several years.

I hate old man breath too.

by Anonymousreply 1507/14/2012

You sound sweet OP. I feel the same way. I stopped all dating three years ago. I never go to bars. I don't play guitar but I play the piano and I'd sing to you. And I have excellent dental hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 1607/14/2012

My partner and I met on Yahoo eons ago. I am not sure that it even exists.

Seriously, try a gay friendly church.

by Anonymousreply 1707/14/2012

I just joined OKCupid. We'll give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 1807/14/2012

Gay church? I don't believe in god

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 2007/14/2012

I'll marry you OP. Will a ukulele do?

by Anonymousreply 2107/15/2012

You sound charming, op. You should have no trouble attracting a mate. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 2207/15/2012

OP. Try truckstops, gloryholes, and the Catholic Church. Or even better, the Republican National Convention, is coming around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 2307/15/2012

Try dl

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2012

You don't have a relationship because something is wrong with YOU.

This has to be addressed. You're over 40 you should have at least two long term (over 5 years) by now. You want to have everything handed to you and don't want to work for you.

You say you have nothing to offer but money so why would you expect a relationship instead of just someone to use you?

You say you want a relationship because of what you see on movies? That's not realistic.

In short if you go fishing, don't gripe when you don't catch a chicken.

As Miss Jane of the Beverly Hillbillies said, "There's other fish in the sea, of course there's better bait too."

by Anonymousreply 2507/15/2012

OP are you near DC? Are you into younger guys?

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2012

[quote]I've met several boyfriends, including my current one, on one or the other

If I were these sites, I wouldn't want you as their story of success spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2012

R26, I'm not in DC, but Delta is ready...

by Anonymousreply 2807/15/2012

Manvox has a great personals section.

by Anonymousreply 2907/15/2012

When people are 41 they usually say 41, 'in my 40's' is typically used by those who are 49.

If you are 49 say so in whatever dating profile you put together.

There used to be a matchmaking service for folks like you in NY. ...and google tells me it is still there.

Try it.

by Anonymousreply 3007/15/2012

R25, it took me a long time to come out. I briefly relapsed into dating women in my 30s, tried to convince myself I was bi, all that. I'm now fully out at work and to my friends... took me longer to evolve.

So yes, I was probably too closeted and uptight before.

I have a lot more to offer than money. I'm smart, I'm funny, and I have interesting friends. I said upper-middle class; mind you, I'm not Anderson Cooper.

My flaws are: I need to lose weight, I'm a little timid sexually until I really trust you, and I leave old bills and papers on my desk until they pile up.

by Anonymousreply 3107/15/2012

OP, do you need to lose weight, a little weight, or a lot of weight. H/W? You actually sound pretty interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3207/15/2012

Now that we know you weigh too much fess up about the real age.

by Anonymousreply 3307/15/2012

40s and needs to lose weight - what activity are you taking up that supports this weight loss, assuming you can lose weight at this age?

You obviously work in a position that supports your current weight. Unless you change what you do for nine to ten hours every single day, you won't be able to maintain any temporary diet or fitness reduction plan.

Perhaps you should stop pretending you're a methy 20something with 15% body fat.

Perhaps you should stop looking for methy dating material and aim for someone who has the same work and life habits.

Do you have a furry ass?

by Anonymousreply 3407/15/2012

Craigslist, believe it or not, but not the M4M section, Try "Misc Romance", it has LTR postings.

by Anonymousreply 3507/15/2012

I'm sorry to say this OP, but the more you reveal about yourself, the more obvious it is that you are not the catch you think you are. You need to work on yourself before you think about getting into something serious.

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2012

Stay away from CL even relationship attracts flaky people.

by Anonymousreply 3707/15/2012

Delta? Eewwww. And sounds 49 indeed.

by Anonymousreply 3807/15/2012

[quote]You're over 40 you should have at least two long term (over 5 years) by now.

That's a complete crock, not to mention a broad generalization. Not everyone is lucky enough to meet even one guy, let alone two, who is LTR material by the time they turn 40. That's especially true today, in an era when most gay guys in their twenties (and thirties) are into casually hooking up but either not looking for a relationship and/or don't know how to properly develop and maintain one.

OP, I know plenty of men who didn't find their first true partners until at least their forties, and a few who didn't until their fifties. You sound like you have a lot to offer, and please keep in mind that there are plenty of guys out there who don't really give a shit if you have a slight potbelly or something. By 40 you should have higher priorities in life than spending 2-3 hours a day at the gym, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 3907/15/2012

I'm 48 and I said so.

Sure I have a belly, but I also have massive shoulders and nice pecs. I'd do me, so there.

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2012

I'd do you too, R48.

by Anonymousreply 4107/15/2012

Hope you don't get any of the fat-phobic people here answering your ads. They don't deserve you.

by Anonymousreply 4207/15/2012

R40 = Jame Gumb

by Anonymousreply 4307/15/2012

Oops, I meant R40.

by Anonymousreply 4407/15/2012

Am in the exact situation as you are, OP. Except that I am 50. Would you like to move to the Bay Area?

Based on a suggestion here, I tried last week, but no luck yet.

by Anonymousreply 4507/15/2012

[quote]My flaws are: I need to lose weight

End of thread!

by Anonymousreply 4607/15/2012

I just went and had coffee with a guy. He was okay. We might get together again.

Probably not someone I'm interested in long-term romantically, but hey, I got out there.

And it was because of you in this thread and OK Cupid. So, thanks and stuff.

I'll repeat, perhaps with better results, in the weeks and months to come.

by Anonymousreply 4707/15/2012

Thanks for reporting back! Think I'll give OK Cupid a try.

by Anonymousreply 4807/15/2012

I'm madly in love with R39. I love it when grownups post comments.

by Anonymousreply 4907/16/2012

OP had me until "I'm in my 40s".

by Anonymousreply 5007/16/2012

[quote]If you are 49

The worst thing about being 49 is everyone thinks you're 50 and lying.

by Anonymousreply 5107/16/2012

I was just observing silverdaddies for the hell of it, and they have many age groups on that site in which age to many people doesn't matter. However, Holy Toledo!there are many freaks on that dating site!

Check out this guy on silverdaddies who claims to be into darkness and he transforms into a wild beast with fangs!! I'm not kidding!! You have got to read what this guys says about himself, WOW! Creepy!

by Anonymousreply 5207/30/2012

[quote]'in my 40's' is typically used by those who are 49.

Or in their 50's.

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

[quote]Or in their 50's.

And have bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!