Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Liz Smith

Does she still have a column? I haven't heard a thing from or about her in years.

by Anonymousreply 7206/05/2014

She's professed to being bisexual and really knows the scoop! She should become the Headmistress of DataLounge; 'maven of dirt and dishing!'

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2012

I've heard she used to nail up and comers with promises of good ink.

by Anonymousreply 407/13/2012

She has a column in Huffpo entertainment section

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2012

The only column that hag has now is the column of neck fat that supports her gourd-like head.

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2012

I read her daily column five times a week, and she is still funny, sassy and informed. She has her pets, of course, but I enjoy her perspective on popular culture, new stars, new books and movies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2012

Does she allegedly still make actresses eat pussy for good press?

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2012

[quote]I've heard she used to nail up and comers with promises of good ink.

Could someone translate this into English?

by Anonymousreply 1007/15/2012

What are "lesbian-related health problems"?

by Anonymousreply 1107/15/2012

You do know the old dear is well past 80 don't you?

by Anonymousreply 1207/15/2012

Liz and Kaye Ballard have been a couple for years.

by Anonymousreply 1307/15/2012

She writes for several on line columns including New York Social Diary. She is completely irrelevant and rehases other people's info. But you can be sure if you read about some unknown fat girl in her column, she's most likely gay so she does support her community.

by Anonymousreply 1407/15/2012

Poor senile Liz. In today's NYSD column she writes about the Alec Baldwin story in the current issue of Vanity Fair:

[quote]The photo is by Norman Jean Roy. But unfortunately, there’s no clue as to who — as they say on the red carpet — he’s wearing on his tootsies. They look like Ferragamo.

And yet, on the VF photo attached to her column it says "shoes by Pleaser shoes" in the description of Baldwin's outfit. BTW, he is wearing women's high heels and showing his very hairy legs.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2012

It's been passed around for awhile that she'd exchange good press for sex with young women her ambitious. Liz was never hateful in print but she was a bitch behind closed doors to no-names that wouldn't put out.

by Anonymousreply 1607/22/2012

"It's been passed around for awhile that she'd exchange good press for sex with young women her ambitious."

That should be: who were ambitious.

She helped a number of women in exchange for sex. Bernadette Peters has been rumored to be a notch on her bedpost.

by Anonymousreply 1707/22/2012

Nora Ephron died?

by Anonymousreply 1807/22/2012

Ah yes- DL so full of people who love to vent bile. Liz Smith is one of the nicest people- perhaps he nicest ever- to be in the world of gossip and journalism. She is adored by everyone who has crossed her path or knows her in NYC where she has been active in charity and philanthropy for decades in every way that is possible.

And yes I did get to know her in the early 80s- when her girlfriend was Iris Love- for the troll who like to personally denigrate me when I relate this kind of information.

She has also written a lot more that her gossip columns. I read her in NYSD, and find her still, the most intelligent point of view of popular culture and celebrity than anyone in the business. She can tell a lot about someone without being nasty- including unflattering stuff. She is very very good at what she does.

And she is nearly 90- which of course is probably one more reasons for some of the charming nasty posters to put her down some more.

by Anonymousreply 1907/22/2012

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2012

Yes, Liz has been getting high grade pussy for a long time. Some of these women are bitter but they should thank her for the career help. Sometimes a career launch isn't enough I guess.

Case in point, Suzanne Somers is another woman that let Liz trim her hedges in return for good word of mouth around town and on the printed page. But when she wanted help from Liz in her fight over pay on Three's Company she found that good sex was no match for the money and power that Liz was beholden to. Somers threw a fit and cut ties, and Liz was never as friendly in person or in print. She's been pretty catty toward Suzanne in her writing, but she's been awful behind the scenes; and to this day Suzanne clams up when her ex-lover's name is mentioned.

She should be thanking Liz for helping her to even get as far as she did. But she mistook a a sex-for-good-press deal as something she could count on even when Liz was dealing with people in more powerful positions. She may be dumber than Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 2209/10/2012

But to be fair to Suzanne she hasn't been with many women, and almost certainly has only slept with the women she has for work. That's quite different from people like Bernadette Peters and Dana Delany who have dated women for work and for fun.

I'm sure that Suzanne found the experience less than stellar sexually. From what I've heard about Liz's tastes in bed, it might have been degrading. But you better use what works, and if Somers hadn't slept around we never would have heard from her at all. Plus I'm pretty sure Liz's phallus is more pleasant than Heff's unit.

by Anonymousreply 2309/10/2012

I had to deal with her professionally when I was just starting out. She was an unbelivable bully and a total cunt to me. When I wouldn't give her the information she wanted (I was told by my boss not to), she threatened to drum me out of the business.

by Anonymousreply 2409/10/2012

Are you also a gossip columnist, R24?

Are you the Louella to her Hedda?

by Anonymousreply 2509/10/2012

She has always worked her fingers...on her keyboard..to lend a helping hand to me!

by Anonymousreply 2609/10/2012

Nope, R25. Just someone who worked for a producer out of college. Liz wanted info, which we wouldn't provide. A total rageaholic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2012

Suzanne Somers had a pretty serious romantic relationship with a female executive in the 1980's (okay, this may have been work-related). Before that she was a regular in clubs on both coasts and would spend a great deal of time with other women in VIP areas or restrooms. In the 70's and well beyond she had a relationship with poorly closeted Fran "my hubby's more interested in the pool boy" Drescher.

Somers likes licking vagina. She just didn't like her time pleasuring Liz's.

by Anonymousreply 2809/16/2012

Any more gossip on Dana Delany?

Who else has Liz Smith had?

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2012

I soured on her when I read that she essentially blackmailed Rock Hudson's ex-wife when the woman threatened to reveal his sexuality when most of America still thought he was straight.

It just struck me as . . . Unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2012

[quote]Liz and Kaye Ballard have been a couple for years.

Not true. Kaye's longtime girlfriend and companion is actress Myvanwy Jenn. Liz is a lesbian of course, as is the woman who used to write her column with ad for her Diane Judge, who is a tremendously fun woman.

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2012

Re, the early post that mentions MTM...whoa, MTM swings both ways????

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

"O.K. You two no bumpin' pussies in there."

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

Guess she and Cynthia McFadden are still together.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

I thought her lover was Iris Love, no more?

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

How is Liz's autobiography? Is it dull as dish water?

BTW, talking about lesbians, is Stephanie Zimbalist a Lez? Also, I'm with R32, MTM is bisexual? is that really true?

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

I'm LOVING this thread!

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

I've heard rumors of Stephanie Zimbalist being a lez. What others have rumors?

What about Candice Bergen, Jacquelne Bisset and actresses from that time?

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

[quote]Liz and Kaye Ballard have been a couple for years.

Realllllly?

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

[quote]She's professed to being bisexual and really knows the scoop!

So Liz is a lez?

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

Yes, Liz has been getting high grade pussy for a long time.

And it went both ways. Lena Horne kicked Liz to the curb in the 1960s. then let her back in -- at a distance -- in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

Stephanie Zimbalist, no rumor, she's gay. Co-star Pierce Brosnan made vague homophobic statements about her when they appeared in Remington Steel.

Surely you know that model and closet case Lauren Hutton is gay or "mostly" gay.

by Anonymousreply 4212/06/2012

I thought Lauren Hutton actually came out.

Any more gossip on Stephanie Zimbalist?

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2012

Liz used to take her Kept Woman Of The Moment around to the better parties. In the infancy of 'The X-Files' Gillian Anderson was often Liz's date being carted around to make impressions on People Who Matter. Liz would often claim that Anderson "could have been a lingerie model," if she wasn't "such a great actress". I'm sure none of us wanted to know how she knew this about Gillian but of course we already did: they were sleeping with each other.

IMO Gillian was dumpy and had awful, awful fashion sense. I never could see "lingerie model" and Gillian going together.

A year or two later Gillian's nights with Liz paid handsomely and she was more than just that slightly fat actress from that cult show. She was receiving a media rollout as a sex symbol (showing how far standards have fallen, IMO). There was that tacky FHM issue of her in panties, probably photoshopped to hell and back.

Liz showed this issue off for weeks with an "I told you so" about Anderson's beauty.

That was probably her last big catch. She had young, pretty girlfriends after but I'm not aware of any that her influence made big in the entertainment biz.

by Anonymousreply 4402/04/2013

Turned 90 last week.

by Anonymousreply 4502/04/2013

[quote]What are "lesbian-related health problems"?

Ask Cheryl's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 4602/04/2013

R44, Gillian Anderson was not "slightly fat" on the x-files. You really need to assess your body image issues.

by Anonymousreply 4702/04/2013

Now Rona Barrett, she was a real firecracker! Don't know why she wasn't included in that jet-set clique but I'm thinking she was too down to earth, too Bronx, too outspoken.

She gave the real dirt and must have offended someone high up, like the Reagans. I love her for that.

Where is she now?

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2013

She was thin for a ginger.

by Anonymousreply 5002/04/2013

Mary Tyler Moore was known to have attended lesbian parties back in the day.

I think she got together with Cheryl and the fumes made her go blind.

by Anonymousreply 5102/04/2013

R44, Gingers rarely dress well, I've noticed this. It must be the Neanderthal genetics. Also, their wrists, ankles, and legs tend to be thicker, useful for ice age mammoth battles.

by Anonymousreply 5202/04/2013

I've seen her with Liza quite a few times, it makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 5402/04/2013

Back in the day, OutWeek used to give her hell. Michelangelo Signorile in particular. So funny.

by Anonymousreply 5502/04/2013

R49, Rona Barrett was on Oprah's show once. She is Oprah's next door neighbor in Montecito California ,and her father lives with her ,and she is taking care of him. Rona grew on her property, and had bottled to sell, something with lavender that she claimed helped relieve her father's pain in a organic way. Rona said she was planning on coming back to do gossip again. BTW, I wonder if Frank Sinatra threaten her to retire because Rona reported that Fank Sinatra and his daughter Nancy, were so close to the point ,she was hinting at the innuendo that they were like a husband and wife. Frank was spitting bricks, and I have heard Frank was a very scarey and ruthless man to piss off.

by Anonymousreply 5602/04/2013

R56 Rona Barrett is almost 80. How can her father still be alive? (Or was this Oprah show from a LONG time ago?)

by Anonymousreply 5702/04/2013

R57, this was near the time Oprah's show was ending.

by Anonymousreply 5802/04/2013

I did a search on GA from that mag spread. She does look like she enjoys her meals. Big hips.

by Anonymousreply 5902/05/2013

she's in holland taylors pants

by Anonymousreply 6002/05/2013

[R26] I was waiting for that! [R60}, you're late.

by Anonymousreply 6102/05/2013

"I have heard Frank was a very scarey and ruthless man to piss off."

How old are you r56, ten?

by Anonymousreply 6202/05/2013

The current issue of "Vanity Fair" features a leztastic "Spotlight" by Liz on Holland Taylor playing Ann Richards. A lez in-joke, surely.

by Anonymousreply 6302/05/2013

What, no one's mentioned Marisa Tomei?!!

Let me rectify that.

Marisa was just a working actress before Liz...but let me backup. Liz was a fan/supporter of a theater company named Naked Angels, which Jenifer Estess ran (along with JFKJr, if memory serves)

Jenifer also knew another young woman in the group. Her name was Liz Smith. At a backers party Jenifer brought Marisa to Liz, and from there a very cozy relationship developed. Marisa's interest in theatrical art quickly gave way to her ambitions.

Liz made hr pitch: she could help a beautiful young woman's career...if the young woman would do something for Liz. The writing was on the wall - and claw marks were all over Marisa's back - when, not too terribly long after (1990) Marisa had a Name and an Oscar (1992). Marisa, FWIW, has been very sexually ambiguous since her encounters with Ms. Smith...as bad as it may seem, Liz may have recruited Marisa with her abilities between the sheets and a woman's spread thighs. Years later Marisa would still show up to charity dinners as Liz's date.

by Anonymousreply 6403/31/2013

I'm not a fan of some of the snark around here. Liz is a fabulous woman and I don't know if she'd be mean to a rattler. Does Suzanne Somers still have people badmouthing Liz because she wouldn't help her with the 'Three's Company' fight?! Looks like it. Liz may not be a beautiful woman but she was always a charmer, and she had a natural way to gab. Or talk a woman's pants off if you get my drift. For all Suzanne's badmouthing she never once complained about Liz's skills in bed. Phil Rose used to throw some amazing parties. Liz was usually there and she was usually with a beautiful woman. She used to take Suzanne to some of Phil's parties and I don't think her career would have been a blip without the contacts Liz gave her. I'm at a loss to figure out why she expected Liz to fight powerful producers over Suzanne's battle for a bigger paycheck but it was asinine. Of the other women mentioned it's just as dumb to think Liz abused them in any way. Consensual sex is not some great evil outside the Bible Belt and networking is how 95% of business gets done. Holland, Morgan, Suzanne and all the rest should be a little more grateful to Liz and much more honest about their sex lives.

by Anonymousreply 6503/31/2013

The only thing Liz Smith and Rona Barrett had in common was they were on Sinatra's shit list. Liz eventually managed to get off it.

Liz was far more successful and lasted longer than Rona because she genuinely liked people and liked her job. Rona was a self-hating bitter vengeful bitch. Way bitchier than she ever had to be.

charlie, please tell us about your friendship with Rona. She tried to date you, right? Or was that Princess Margaret? I forget.

by Anonymousreply 6603/31/2013

Speaking of Suzanne. My boyfriend catered parties in the Seventies. He did some big spread for Gary Marshall, a celebration of a pilot pickup or some shit. Marshall's party ranked pretty low on excitement, until he decided to use a guest bathroom.

He walked in on Suzanne Somers, giving the full moon, her torso stretched over a counter, and her ass being eaten by *Fannie Flagg*. The double entendres really write themselves!

Thankfully Fannie was almost fully dressed. The best part is that he squealed and left the door open. A lot of tv people were there including Joyce DeWitt. Oh, and Suzanne's super-lame husband.

the rest of the night went quickly with some pretty conservative producers and actors (by HW standards) tensely mingling like no one had heard or seen a thing, Suzanne actually tried to walk back out after dressing but her red-faced hub dragged her out of there before another lesbian writer could ram her in the ass. I don't think it was the Golden Era of tv but even the bad parties had something that saved them.

by Anonymousreply 6703/31/2013

Interesting stuff on Suzanne. The woman is very oversexed. When she appears on QVC she dresses very slutty. I've seen her on these home shopping shows making sure to cross and uncross her legs in a suggestive enough to see that she's wearing a thong. Considering that the demographics for those shows are mostly housewives I always found it plain weird. Who was she advertizing for? But if she's into women maybe she was showing off her lacy underthings for bored housewives.

by Anonymousreply 6804/01/2013

Fannie Flagg fucked half the women on Match Game. And Somers used to be known for her encounters with young female fans in women's restrooms. Talk about Match Game.

So Suzanne actually wears panties? I saw her on ShopNBC once and she was all Sharon Stone, flashing her skanky vagina at the audience.

Her marriage never made sense as monogamous. The husband is a grade-A douchebag with the sex appeal of bellybutton grit.

by Anonymousreply 6904/01/2013

My super-straight aunt loves Fried Green Tomatoes. Never a clue that it's a cunninglinguist epic by Fannie Flagg.

She also watches reruns of Match Game but has no idea that Fannie likes women.

by Anonymousreply 7004/10/2013

R67 & R69 are pulling your leg, oh innocent ones.

by Anonymousreply 7104/11/2013

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 7206/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.