Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How does Grindr work? Dumb Qs

Who shows up on your grid? Only some of the guys are online. Are the rest just the people who have installed the app at some point or are they somehow more active than that? How do I not show up on other people's grids?

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2014

App for sluts.

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2012

Is grindr so bad if you first meet people in public and only jerk off? Or would that be a ridiculous proposition?

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2012

I swear sometimes I feel like the only gay guy who has never used the internet to find hook ups.

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2012

I was kind of wondering that myself.

by Anonymousreply 507/09/2012

[quote]Who shows up on your grid?

Guys within your vicinity, ranked in order of distance from nearest to furthest, who are either currently online or have recently been so.

[quote]How do I not show up on other people's grids?

You can't just "lurk" on Grindr; you have to have some sort of profile. You can block individuals from viewing your profile, but that's the only way to avoid showing up if you're in someone else's proximity.

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2012

[quote]How do I not show up on other people's grids?

You can't. That would sort of defeat the whole purpose of Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 1107/10/2012

The same way it's used everywhere else, R12. Just sit there completely absorbed in your iPhone, like a total douche.

by Anonymousreply 1307/10/2012

It's a coffee maker!

by Anonymousreply 1407/10/2012

[quote]The same way it's used everywhere else, [R12]. Just sit there completely absorbed in your iPhone, like a total douche.

Too poor to afford an iPhone

by Anonymousreply 1507/10/2012

God, I was I was born in 1867 instead of 1967.

by Anonymousreply 1807/10/2012

"So, when a guy passes me at the gym, and immediately looks at his phone, he's checking to see if I'm on Grindr? "

Or, more likely, he didn't even notice you, and he just happens to be checking his phone.

by Anonymousreply 1907/10/2012

There are so many guys on Grindr, R17.

by Anonymousreply 2007/10/2012

What happens when you use Grindr in a crowded gay bar?

by Anonymousreply 2107/10/2012

[quote]Ask Brandon.

Cute! It looks like it's already been explained well.

I LOVE Grindr though. Yea, there are some flaky dudes, but there is some really high quality tail in abundance on there. Gorgeous guys right by you ready to hookup. I'm far more picky than I probably have a right to be, and I'm never lacking in options. Highly recommend.

Play safe, though. And while I've never had any problems, do take precautions when meeting someone. Make sure they're legit.

by Anonymousreply 2207/10/2012

[quote]I swear sometimes I feel like the only gay guy who has never used the internet to find hook ups.

No, R4, there are at least two of us.

Although I sometimes think I'd like a Partnr app that could advise me when he's in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 2507/10/2012

R24, you can go Offline and still Browse. You'll want to refresh before going offline though so you're seeing the guys in your area.

by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2012

R23, I am EGL after all, what can I say?

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2012

But most of the guys who show up on my screen are offline and they still show up.

by Anonymousreply 2807/10/2012

If you're going to use it, "play safe" should be your mantra. That app is a cesspool of gonorrhea and syphilis.

Brandon knows a lot about that don't you Brandon?

by Anonymousreply 2907/10/2012

Well you could not have a photo.

by Anonymousreply 3007/10/2012

R21 You'll blend in.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2012

[quote]Brandon knows a lot about that don't you Brandon?

I certainly do. I always play safe.

I remember some guy was showing me his Grindr once he was pointing out all of these guys he knew to be Poz. According to him, most of these guys still fucked bare and were lying about their status.

Please play safe, no matter what the guy says.

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2012

[quote]Well you could not have a photo

Oh god, don't be one of those. Lots of people block other users who don't at least have a face or torso pic.

I had a faceless Grindrer try to chat with me once. I asked for a face pic and he replied that he didn't feel comfortable posting or sending a pic, and am I OK with that. I said that that makes it an uneven playing field and no, I'm not OK with that. Then I blocked him.

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2012

R33, the hottest guys won't do pis. The ones with decent jobs, wives or tv weathermen can't risk the exposure.

If a guy refuses a face pic...I always choose him. Turns out it is typically the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2012

I feel as I'm the only adult gay man on the planet, or at least in NYC, who's not a slut whoring around for cock 24x7. Doesn't anyone else have any self-control when it comes to sex. We should be better than this.

by Anonymousreply 3607/10/2012

You're funny, R36.

All of us gay men, let's turn our backs on thousands of years of human sexual behaviour and evolution, shall we? WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS!

by Anonymousreply 3707/10/2012

I'm not saying we shouldn't have sex or be sexual, but honestly, there's something amiss when you let your libido guide every moment of your life. It speaks to our collective lack of self-respect and low self-esteem. We really SHOULD try to be better than this. Just my 2 cents.

by Anonymousreply 3807/10/2012

Who say they let their libido guide every moment of their lives? You are demonstrating issues.

by Anonymousreply 3907/10/2012

Condoms do not eliminate your risk of contracting HIV or other STDs..... they only reduce the risk. If you counter this reduction, by choosing a large number of sexual partners via regular Grindr hookups, you are back again at a very high risk of getting STDs.

by Anonymousreply 4007/10/2012

How long does a photo/profile appear on my grid (without the green 'Active' light)? I know about logging in/out, but there seems to be a time when a person can still be visible but inactive.

by Anonymousreply 4107/10/2012

r35= closet case.

The only times a guy refuses a pic is when he knows it'll scare you off, so he'll lie and claim he won't send one because he's "straight" and/or too important, then you meet him and he's ugly as sin. They always hope that by that time you'll give in to a BJ because you've already put so much effort in.

r36, since you're all about bettering yourself, get off this site and go do something more useful.

YOU should be better than wasting your time on here!

by Anonymousreply 4207/10/2012

To be perfectly honest I very rarely hook up with anyone from Grindr or Scruff. It's fun for looking at hot guys and chatting, flirting, and trading pics, but that's about it. I'm rarely motivated enough to actually leave my house and hook up with one of them.

by Anonymousreply 4407/10/2012

Are there a lot of hot guys on Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 4507/10/2012

[quote]The ones with decent jobs, wives or tv weathermen can't risk the exposure.

Fuck, where do *you* live? Several of my local weathermen are on Grindr or Manhunt quite often. They don't have any nude (or even topless) pics or slutty talk, but they're certainly on there and with head shots.

Btw there are also a number of well-connected businesspeople and philanthropists on Grindr, at least in my city. Do you live in Bumfucke or some area where the influential gays are too scared to come out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 4607/10/2012

Has anyone had good experiences with Scruff? I'm thinking of joining but I've heard differing opinions.

by Anonymousreply 4707/10/2012

So, r46, you do realize that there are well-connected, urban-dwelling gay men who choose not to post on grindr? I mean, you are aware of this, aren't you? Not every out gay man is a raging slut, dear heart.

by Anonymousreply 4807/10/2012

Can you read, R48? R46 was clearly responding to the previous poster's assertion that Grindr users who don't post pics of their face remain anonymous because they're hot or famous.

by Anonymousreply 4907/10/2012

I think my Grindr is broken. My profile is up, but no one contacts me.

by Anonymousreply 5007/11/2012

[quote]Are there a lot of hot guys on Grindr?

Depends on your area, but yes. It's nice because you really get to see your options and choose the best. Not settle for what's in front of you.

Here's a screenshot of my Grindr:

by Anonymousreply 5107/11/2012

No all of them are fake profiles. Just like on Manhunt and Adam4Adam.

Hot guys are too busy having sex.

by Anonymousreply 5207/11/2012

[quote] Several of my local weathermen are on Grindr or Manhunt quite often. They don't have any nude (or even topless) pics or slutty talk, but they're certainly on there and with head shots.

You DO realize those are fake. Someone just lifts the pic from the Internet

by Anonymousreply 5307/11/2012

I've met dozens of guys on Grindr. None of them were fake. There have been a few that had REALLY good pics, and I backed out after seeing them in person.

But there are fakes. It's easy to tell who they are. They ask for lots of pics and won't meet.

by Anonymousreply 5407/11/2012

Why not just stand on the corner of the gay village wearing a sign that says will f*uck the first guy I see, that I am attracted to? How many minutes can that take? Fast, to the point, and you avoid the risk of having your pictures posted all over Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 5507/11/2012

[quote]I've met dozens of guys on Grindr. None of them were fake.

All fat and/or ugly.

by Anonymousreply 5607/11/2012

Here's a good site, to tell you about the jerks on Grindr

by Anonymousreply 5707/25/2012

So, if you're in your house (with your phone on) and a guy walks down your street (with his phone on), will he be able to pick which house you are in?

by Anonymousreply 5807/25/2012

I love guys with fake profiles who claim to be hot. How creepy is that?

by Anonymousreply 5907/25/2012

I live in Kentucky so all these Apps are pointless.

by Anonymousreply 6111/17/2012

The worst part about Grindr is that even if a guy says he is looking for more than just a hook-up, he never is.

by Anonymousreply 6211/17/2012

I just joined! What do all the greenlights mean? What does 141 feet mean?

by Anonymousreply 6301/20/2014

This app is a waste of time and battery power. Almost no one on it wants to hook up, they're just looking for friends or LTR (and they need an app that tells you how many feet away someone is...). Fuck 'em all.

by Anonymousreply 6501/21/2014

Can you see who's viewed your profile? Similiarly, can others see when you have viewed their profile?

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2014

R66

You used to be able to. Not sure if you can still do that any more since the upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.