Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celts were homos

Celts were unusual because their men openly preferred male lovers. H. D. Rankin in Celts and the Classical World notes that "Athenaeus echoes this comment and so does Ammianus. It seems to be the general opinion of antiquity."

In book XIII of his Deipnosophists, the Roman Greek rhetorician and grammarian Athenaeus, repeating assertions made by Diodorus Siculus in the 1st century BC, wrote that Celtic women were beautiful but that the men preferred to sleep together. Diodorus went further, stating that "the young men will offer themselves to strangers and are insulted if the offer is refused". Rankin argues that the ultimate source of these assertions is likely to be Poseidonius and speculates that these authors may be recording male "bonding rituals".

So Spartans were homos, Celts were if men having sex together was common in the past when did the de-gaying started?

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

1969 began the de-gay of men.

by Anonymousreply 107/08/2012

[quote]Diodorus went further, stating that "the young men will offer themselves to strangers and are insulted if the offer is refused".

The good old days.

by Anonymousreply 207/08/2012

Cocking and Sucking were always the thing

by Anonymousreply 307/08/2012

i'm sorry, was diodorus refering celts? or gaysians?

[quote}Diodorus went further, stating that "the young men will offer themselves to strangers and are insulted if the offer is refused".

by Anonymousreply 407/08/2012

[quote]when did the de-gaying started?

It began in earnest with the rise of Christianity and eventually the English empire exported homophobia around the globe.

Commonwealth countries account for more than half of the 76 countries in the world that still have a total prohibition on homosexuality. Nearly all the Commonwealth's anti-gay laws are the poisonous legacy of British colonialism. They were originally imposed by the British government in the 19th century, during the period of colonial rule – and never repealed when the former colonies won their freedom. The post-independence leaders retained the homophobic mindset of their colonial masters.

by Anonymousreply 507/08/2012

Don't know how much fun that would have been before washing machines and indoor plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 607/08/2012

In 1969 people became more aware it was no longer confirmed bachelors and 'boys being boys' it was now GAY.

GAY was hated and feared and the awareness changed our culture.

by Anonymousreply 707/08/2012

right, r7, because man on man love was so tolerated over the hundred years prior to 1969.

by Anonymousreply 807/08/2012

so, from now on, if someone asks me if I'm gay or staight I'll just say I'm celtic

by Anonymousreply 907/08/2012

So in "The Romans in Britain" it should have been the druid raping the Roman soldier instead of the other way around?

by Anonymousreply 1007/08/2012

I think old Levitican Jewish Law was to make the Jews different from all the cultures around them...the Christians took it and extended it further.

Paul's letters actually referred to "pedastery" the practice where older men kept/adopted younger ones to educated/mentor and sexual interactions was just part of that.

Paul also referred to temple prostitution/orgies, in which other cultures incorporated sexual ecstacy as part of their worship (like the practices shown on the Da Vinci Code).

the repression seemed to start from there.

by Anonymousreply 1107/08/2012

So it was white people who introduced homophobia to the world? I love it.

by Anonymousreply 1207/08/2012

They were homos? So now DL mythology will have to change from "they have small dicks" to "they have big dicks".

by Anonymousreply 1307/08/2012

Larry Bird was a homo?

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2012

[quote]Larry Bird was a homo?

That was my lesbian name!

by Anonymousreply 1507/09/2012

Well, let's just say we weren't just eating at the last supper.

by Anonymousreply 1607/09/2012

Gotta really have low self esteem for besearching history for evidence of homos. Just go outside. There are gay squirrels. It's fine, it's natural, calm down, enjoy the present.

by Anonymousreply 1707/09/2012

Yes, let's beleive the words of the Celts' sworn enemies!

by Anonymousreply 1807/09/2012

Why the hell does one have to have low self esteem to research history of gay people? Just the opposite, my friend. The fact that there is gay sex in nature has nothing to do with why gay people in history is important and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1907/09/2012

the chicks sound awesome too

[quote]...a very witty remark is reported to have been made by the wife of Argentocoxus, a Caledonian, to Julia Augusta. When the empress was jesting with her, after the treaty, about the free intercourse of her sex with men in Britain, she replied: "We fulfill the demands of nature in a much better way than do you Roman women; for we consort openly with the best men, whereas you let yourselves be debauched in secret by the vilest." Such was the retort of the British woman.

by Anonymousreply 2002/10/2013

Celtic lesbians!

To make a long story short, there was a king over the men of Ireland in Tara called Niall Frossach, “Niall the Showery.” He was called that because during his reign, there were unusual things falling from the sky on a regular basis, including showers of silver, showers of wheat, and showers of blood.

And, one year at the Óenach Tailtenn (usually held around the time of Lugnasad), a woman came to him to prevail upon his powers of fír flatha or “ruler’s truth”–a somewhat tautological supernatural power that ensured his judgements were true and accurate, because he was the rightful king, and therefore could do no wrong and speak no untruths–to determine the paternity of a child she had given birth to recently.

The king held the child, and paused for a moment, and then said “Have you had playful mating with another woman, and do not conceal it if you have.”

The woman admitted she had done so. The king went on to say that the woman with whom she had been engaging in this activity had recently had intercourse with a man, and the seed he had left within her was transferred over to the eventual mother in their mutual tumbling, and so that other man was the father, and he needed to be found.

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

These old writings bring back fond memories. I had forgotten what a wonderful time we had before there were names assigned to various acts of ecstasy. Those were the days. There were no eldergays, just degrees of experience. I often think of Hinious and Porcinious Sticsituus. Each was unmatched in their skill.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

It was common in militaristic cultures where the men were expected to go off and fight for months at a time, and the women were left behind to keep the home fires burning. BUT everyone, including what we would think of as homosexuals, was expected to procreate to keep the population going--important in tribal cultures, today just an ecological burden.

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!