Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Russia's war on gays: Should we boycott Sochi 2012?

Who wants to bet the ungrateful nation will still probably play Tchaikovsky in the Opening Ceremonies?

by Anonymousreply 10602/09/2014

Ooops, meant 2014.

by Anonymousreply 107/08/2012

Too bad DL is on the fritz this weekend. I had to search and see if there was even a thread about it. Seems only stuff on our threadwatcher is showing up.

Here's what Johnny Weir said:

Given the growing homophobia, openly gay Olympic athletes and others hoping to attend the Games have reason for concern. But U.S. figure skater Johnny Weir, a self-described "Russophile" who hopes to compete in his third Olympics in Sochi, isn't worried.

Weir is beloved in Russia. His close friend is the nation's biggest figure skating star, Evgeni Plushenko. He speaks Russian. And he's married to a man, Victor Voronov, whose parents grew up in the former Soviet Union.

"I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that," Weir said. "I'm a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It's appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help."

SOCHI: Weir dreams of third Olympics

When Weir and his husband were in Moscow last November for a competition, they posted pictures of themselves online sharing a kiss at various places in the city. Weir also acknowledged he's treated differently because of the country's appreciation of his skating.

If he makes the Olympic team, Weir doesn't want to make an issue of his sexuality, he said. For him, the Olympics should be about sport and competition. But he does have advice for gay athletes unfamiliar with the culture.

"My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat. If you don't call attention to yourself, attention won't come to you."

Then Weir added, in a way only he can, "I'm not going to be having sex in a Metro station. And if you are doing that, then maybe you deserve to be caught."

by Anonymousreply 206/29/2013

Jesus I just noticed that the OP's post is a year old. There's been more talk about it lately.

What do you know? The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has suddenly discovered gay people! How cute of them.

After nearly two years of indifference in the face of Russian anti-gay prejudice directed at Olympic athletes, the International Olympic Committee has suddenly discovered its backbone.

Well, this is the IOC we’re talking about, so perhaps “backbone” isn’t exactly the right term.

The IOC issued a statement the other day saying they were “concerned” about Russia – the host of the 2014 Winter Olympics at Sochi – being on the verge of passing a law that would ban pro-gay words or actions, and which threatens to jail gay (and pro-gay) foreigners visiting Russia.

I guess that means the ice skating part of the Olympics is over.

Until now, the IOC has been – how shall I put this? – less than “concerned” about its gay athletes in Russia. When the Russians banned the 2014 Olympics from having a Pride House for gay athletes, the IOC didn’t say boo. Well, in all fairness, the IOC did say something… pathetic. They issued a statement reiterating their commitment to non-discrimination. Yeah, thanks. And how exactly is that going to force the Russians to reopen the Pride House?

It’s not.

And the IOC expressing “concern” is going to doing a thing to stop Russian leader Vladimir Putin from demonizing gay and trans people in an effort to shore up his failed nation-state.

As I’ve noted before, the IOC has a rather clear policy against non-discrimination.

IOC spokeswoman Emmanuelle Moreau, asked about the appeals, noted that the Olympic Charter “clearly states that any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.”

But as we’ve learned before, such statements are meaningless if the IOC refuses to enforce them.

And the gold medal in cowardice goes to….

by Anonymousreply 306/29/2013

It looks like DL is working again. For now at least. Thought I'd bump this.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

I'd like gay athletes to go, and bring up the Russian gay rights situation in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

The IOC would probably try to quiet the athletes. Could they send them home if they speak out?

Of course, Skate Canada has no problems with Russian policy.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

I hope one of the gay athletes kills Putin during a photo op.

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2013

[quote]"My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat. If you don't call attention to yourself, attention won't come to you."

This is real history -- Johnny Weir telling gays to take it down a notch.

by Anonymousreply 806/30/2013

[quote]If he makes the Olympic team, Weir doesn't want to make an issue of his sexuality, he said.

It's a big turnaround from his last Olympic venture.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

Possibly, R9, that is because there is a time and a place for everything and, at this time, Russia is not the place.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

If Weir makes it, he could be arrested for being openly gay. Or is Russian customs going to stand at passport control and turn away any athletes known or suspected of being gay?

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

If Russia did the same thing to any Racial or Religious minority, the IOC would pull the games.

The problems are more than just Russia.

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2013

The IOC is a rabidly homophobic organization so they could not possibly care less about Russia putting gay citizens and tourists in jail. For that matter, the tired old caftan queens on DL probably don't give a shit about it either.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2013

The coming backlash from the gay community and gay supportive media, needs to target the IOC, not Russia. Russia is a write off. The IOC is the one who decided to hold the games there.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2013

[quote]The coming backlash from the gay community

ROFLMAO!!!! Gay backlash! You are deluded R17. Ever heard of Chickenshit FilA or whatever they are called? Even the tired old queens on DL supported their bigotry. Gay backlash will NEVER happen. Alec Baldwin's anti-gay rants? Nobody cares. Seriously...you are not living in reality.

by Anonymousreply 1807/13/2013

[quote]Ever heard of Chickenshit FilA or whatever they are called? Even the tired old queens on DL supported their bigotry.

That's total bullshit. Gays are boycotting Chick-Fil-A, many have been doing so for years. Sadly, we're outnumbered by Fundies who make sure the hate-mongering owner is still rolling in money.

by Anonymousreply 2007/17/2013

The IOC won't do anything about it, but the 28 nations of the European Union could threaten a boycott and insist they want the Olympics moved to Norway or Austria.

by Anonymousreply 2107/17/2013

The IOC unofficially, supports Russia on this.

They rejected the Pride House in Vancouver in 2010. A private organization had to open Vancouvers Pride House up, as a non-official spot.

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

[quote]The IOC unofficially, supports Russia on this.

This goes with the often seen DL threads: "Why does everyone at DL hate..." as if EVERYONE at DL hates the same celeb.

by Anonymousreply 2307/18/2013

The European Union already has rules in place for protection of gays. If gay organizations in EU nations start making noise about moving the Winter Olympics away from Russia, it's possible that a change could be made. While the IOC won't be expected to do anything on their own, the threat of all those nations pulling out of the Olympics, could result in IOC action.

by Anonymousreply 2407/18/2013

The IOC is a corrupt cabal of wrinkly old white men with mistresses.

They don't give a shit about gay or lesbian athletes. Anyone who wants to compete has to shut up and spew the party line soundbytes.

by Anonymousreply 2507/18/2013

Honestly have you seen who makes up the vast majority of the IOC? It's a who's who of Third World friends of the Dictator of the moment and a bunch of vacuous Eurotrash royal nobodies.

Do you really think they give a shit about gays as long as Putin already lined their pockets with bribes to win the games in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 2607/18/2013

[quote]My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat.

Sounds quite fetching!

All the pro-gay countries should style up a rainbow version for their national get-up in the opening parade as a show of solidarity.

by Anonymousreply 2707/18/2013

Face it people, only 3 years, ago in Vancouver, CANADA, the media told Olympian Johnny Weir that he should be "gender tested".

Understand what Olympic Sports are like now?

by Anonymousreply 2807/18/2013

Eveyone knows that the Winter Olympics are the GAYEST of the Olympics, why would rabidly homophobics Russians want to host it in the first place?

Move the Games back to Vancouver, all in infrastructure is still in place, plus they did a fantastic job of hosting the last one.

by Anonymousreply 2907/18/2013

I'm not kidding. It would be sweet watching Putin's head explode!

by Anonymousreply 3007/18/2013

Truth be told, Putin is virtually powerless against other world leaders today, so he does ignorant little things like this, because it is all he can muster up to impact anything outside of Russia.

Having said this, several Tea Party athletes are looking forward to the "improved conditions" in Sochi.

by Anonymousreply 3107/18/2013

[quote]Understand what Olympic Sports are like now?

Yes, we get it. We KNOW the IOC will do nothing. We KNOW that people in the IOC are homophobic. We KNOW that people in the IOC hate gays.

What needs to happen is gay organizations in the EU should put pressure in their own Olympic organizations to threaten to pull out of Russia's Winter Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 3207/19/2013

There should be a major boycott.

by Anonymousreply 3307/20/2013

Maybe it's time to get social media involved in calling for pulling the Olympics from Russia.

by Anonymousreply 3407/21/2013

Boycott Russia! Now you have a good reason since Snowden is there, leaking... his pussy

by Anonymousreply 3507/21/2013

russia home of hate crime

by Anonymousreply 3607/23/2013

Olympic boycotts do nothing. Remember Jimmy Carter's pointless boycott of the USSR in 1980?

What WILL make a difference is if a whole slew of LGBT athletes and their supporters flood Russia had embarrass Putin on a world stage.

Look at what Jesse Owens did to unravel Hitler's myth of Ayran supremacy in 1936? If we had boycotted those games the Nazis still would have implemented the Holocaust and we still would have WWII. At least Germans got to see on their own turf that the Nazi propaganda was bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3707/23/2013

gtf

by Anonymousreply 3807/23/2013

[quote]What WILL make a difference is if a whole slew of LGBT athletes and their supporters flood Russia had embarrass Putin on a world stage.

Yeah, ya think? Putin is not playing games and the world is ignoring it. It has started already.

by Anonymousreply 3907/23/2013

This is what I'd like to see happen -- hand out rainbow gloves to the winners and have them do this:

by Anonymousreply 4007/23/2013

There is a boycott of Stolichnaya vodka starting in Vancouver gay bars. Stoli has already mounted an ad campaign stating they are against Russia's ant-gay policies and stand with the gays. But talk is cheap. We should boycott Stoli and any other russian exports. There are plenty of other vodkas from non-hater countries.

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2013

There have been questions about Stoli's "Russian-ness" considering SPI Group is headquartered in Luxembourg and it's bottled in Riga, Latvia. Let this interview with SPI Group CEO Val Mendeleev put it in perspective:

The [United] States are easily Stoli’s biggest market, and currently accounts for just over 60% of sales. In 2007 it was selling 2.2m cases there according to Impact Databank. Within three years it had shrunk to 1.8m, though Mendeleev insists “the vast majority of the volume decline came from the lower margin business.”

One thing that makes Stoli unique among its peers, is that the company doesn’t just own the brand, it owns the wheat fields to produce the vodka. “The Stoli Group is vertically integrated,” he explains. “The grain is 100% Russian and we have thousands of hectares of land 400 kilometres south of Moscow.” Here it is made into raw alcohol in SPI’s brand new US$100m distillery and then refined into Stoli in Latvia where the company owns a historic distillery in Riga that has been making vodka since 1948. “The system means you really know the cost structure and can ensure consistent high quality standards.”

In its trade communications, “The part ‘Russia’ plays is an essential element in our brand education. It’s where the brand was born and where our grain comes from today.”

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2013

This is a true face of new Russia! Poor gay teens beeaten and tortured and the government supports this!

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2013

I honestly don't think we should boycott the Olympics. That's one thing that should remain apolitical ... as much as is possible. Why punish athletes that have been training their entire lives?

But there are things we CAN boycott, and should.

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2013

Weir doesn't have to worry because he won't make the Olympic team.

Only two spots open

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2013

I think the boycott should be economic. Pressure NBC and the foreign networks. Tell them aside from not watching, boycotts will be launched against corporations that advertise during the coverage.

Get the US and EU to discourage people from going (except for athletes' families).

Hurt everyone where it hurts most, their pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2013

Oh, I think the boycott threats should be used to pressure the IOC into moving the 2014 Games.

by Anonymousreply 4707/26/2013

24 hours and I still haven't seen a thing on mainstream news including Huffpost about Skinheads kidnapping and torturing gay teens.

by Anonymousreply 4807/26/2013

The boycott is on for Stoli per the SLOG and Dan Savage. Stoli has already responded saying they're very LGBT friendly. But Dan Savage is not buying it. Neither is several bars in Chicago (Sidetrack) and a couple in San Francisco (Moby Dick and Hi Tops). They've removed all their Stoli stocks and are cutting ties with them.

The push is on for some Las Vegas clubs to join in the boycott. And it's getting international attention as a British Gay club has joined in.

Don't know if the boycott will work but it's getting publicity prompting several articles on sites like the Huffington Post and Salon.

by Anonymousreply 4907/26/2013

I agree the economic boycott is the best approach. The South African divestment movement during the Apartheid years really made a difference. Get Putin where it hurts, in the pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 5007/26/2013

Boycotting Stoli makes a statement.

But it doesn't really hurt RUSSIA all that much.

It's a start, but I sure hope it isn't the end-game.

by Anonymousreply 5107/26/2013

[quote]Boycotting Stoli makes a statement.

Absolutely! We had a Coors boycott several decades ago and that turned them around.

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2013

[quote]Tchaikovsky

Homosexual Propaganda!

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2013

Eagle NYC boycotts Stoli

Beginning immediately, the Eagle NYC will discontinue the sale of STOLI and any alcoholic product produced in Russia in protest of Russia's anti-gay bill banning the "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations". This archaic bill effectively strips every LGBTQ member in Russia of basic human rights and puts gays in danger of being harmed or even killed because of the anti-gay fervor created by the bill. The bill even applies to tourists. The Russian government is pandering to its constituents basest characteristics in an attempt to elevate it's own image.

by Anonymousreply 5407/26/2013

Stoli isn't even Russian. No Russian drinks it.

Russian Standard is truly Russian, and the CEO is nuts. But given Russians drink a bottle a day, a boycott won't do much good.

by Anonymousreply 5507/26/2013

For r55, a repeat of my post at r42:

There have been questions about Stoli's "Russian-ness" considering SPI Group is headquartered in Luxembourg and it's bottled in Riga, Latvia. Let this interview with SPI Group CEO Val Mendeleev put it in perspective:

The [United] States are easily Stoli’s biggest market, and currently accounts for just over 60% of sales. In 2007 it was selling 2.2m cases there according to Impact Databank. Within three years it had shrunk to 1.8m, though Mendeleev insists “the vast majority of the volume decline came from the lower margin business.”

One thing that makes Stoli unique among its peers, is that the company doesn’t just own the brand, it owns the wheat fields to produce the vodka. “The Stoli Group is vertically integrated,” he explains. “The grain is 100% Russian and we have thousands of hectares of land 400 kilometres south of Moscow.” Here it is made into raw alcohol in SPI’s brand new US$100m distillery and then refined into Stoli in Latvia where the company owns a historic distillery in Riga that has been making vodka since 1948. “The system means you really know the cost structure and can ensure consistent high quality standards.”

In its trade communications, “The part ‘Russia’ plays is an essential element in our brand education. It’s where the brand was born and where our grain comes from today.”

by Anonymousreply 5607/26/2013

[bold]Of Savage and Stoli: Should We Boycott?[/bold]

It’s not easy to think globally. Problems seem so distant and insurmountable. After national treasure Harvey Fierstein brought new attention to the ongoing arrest, torture, and abuse of gays perpetrated in Russia, promoted by its new set of draconian anti-gay laws, my first thought was “this is an outrage”. My second thought was “but what can I do”?

I guess Dan Savage was thinking along similar lines, and he’s come up with what he thinks is a good first step: boycott Russian vodka.

On the surface, it makes sense. Gays and Russians have in common the fact that we all rather famously love our vodka. Russia and vodka are so closely linked that a major boycott carries heavy symbolic weight. Russia’s economy benefits from the export of vodka worldwide, and a worldwide boycott by LGBT and allied people might get the Russian government’s attention.

But, SPI, makers of Stolichnaya, the largest, most famous, and most prestigious Russian Vodka sold in the U.S., sees it differently. In a statement, seen here, SDI reminds the world of its sponsorship of many LGBT causes and events in the U.S., distances itself from the Russian government, and claims “passionate” advocacy on the side of “freedom, tolerance and openness in society”.

So is the boycott a good idea? Does SPI get a pass? If we’re not boycotting Stoli, arguably one of the top 5 vodka brands in the U.S. and the only Russian vodka on that list, then what’s the point?

Well, no, SPI does not get a pass, because a closer look at their press release actually makes the case for the boycott.

First, the press release answers accusations no one ever leveled. It says:

[quote]Stolichnaya Vodka has always been, and continues to be, a fervent supporter and friend to the LGBT community.

SPI goes on to mention several sponsorship and outreach efforts Stoli has conducted with LGBT organizations.

Well, okay, but no one is saying that Stoli is a homophobic brand. Stoli is not the bad guy here, but the fact that the brand has been marketed to LGBT’s in the U.S. doesn’t make them a good guy, either, since there is a difference between marketing and advocacy. In fact, given how LGBT people enjoy our festivals and parties, failure to market to the LGBT community by sponsoring them would be really bad business.

Second, the press release is disingenuous in distancing itself from Russia. The press release says:

[quote]The Russian government has no ownership interest or control over the Stoli brand that is privately owned by SPI Group, headquartered in Luxembourg in the heart of Western Europe.

But no one ever said that profits from Stoli go directly to the Russian government. That’s not the applicable standard here. And, in trying to make it the applicable standard, the statement tries to avoid these truths:

•SPI is a Russian company owned by a Russian citizen.

•Google “Russian Vodka” and the first thing you get is an ad SPI paid for, so Stoli could be the top result. Indeed, SPI has been touting Stoli’s Russian origin for years.

•Enough ingredients for the vodka are sourced in Russia that it can call itself a “Russian Vodka”, which it does, on the label, three separate times. (Though, interestingly, the image that appears on the Qweerty.com website with the Press Release says “Premium” instead of “Russian”. Qweerty.com, a beneficiary of an exclusive Stoli sponsorship, should perhaps get that fixed.)

•The Russian government, itself, has laid claim to the brand name “Stolichnaya”. SPI’s Russian owner had enough influence with the Russian government to purchase the brand name years ago.

It’s clearly Russian, has influence in Russia, and has the ability to use that influence. That is the standard to be applied.

by Anonymousreply 5707/26/2013

Boycotts should be conducted with solemnity and thoughtfulness. Businesses like Stoli do what they have to do without sentimentality, and without rancor. We can do the same in exerting our global influence. The global economy is a complex system and any action taken could have unintended consequences and provoke collateral damage. If a boycott is successful, it’s likely to hurt farmers and workers before it ever hurts decision-makers personally. It’s a frustratingly distant and seemingly small response to a big problem. It’s enough to make a person throw up his hands and return to simpler problems closer to home.

But, to spend my meager playwright’s pay on a vodka that proudly calls itself “Russian”, knowing that the simple act of temporarily switching brands might have had some impact on LGBT lives there? That would burn in my gut. I’m boycotting. Please join me.

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2013

In addition to Russian companies, again, I think a good place to start would be with those companies buying air time for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. That's where the money is and that's where the impact would be felt.

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2013

I love how all my web-tivist Facebook pals are posting all the boycott memes like crazy, as if them drinking less booze is some heroic act.

by Anonymousreply 6007/26/2013

Boycotting Stoli may be the easiest tactic but it shouldn't be the only one. We need to encourage US institutions to halt their investments in Russia-- that would really get them where it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 6107/26/2013

Maybe if Stoli stops using Russian wheat and discontinues whatever other ties it may have with Russia, a boycott could end. Until then - BOYCOTT!

by Anonymousreply 6207/26/2013

Stoli gay boycott explodes: Bar in Seattle, SF, SD, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, UK dump Russian vodka

by Anonymousreply 6307/26/2013

[bold]Russian Neo-Nazis Torture Gay Teens In 'Anti-Pedophilia' Campaign[/bold]

The group lured gay teens with personal ads on a Russian networking site, then filmed its members beating, torturing, and forcing the teenagers to come out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 6407/26/2013

The IOC is claiming that they've received "assurances from the highest level" of the Russian government that Olympic athletes, press and guests will not be "affected by the law."

Which rings of Nazi Germany in 1936, as it doesn't help the LGBT citizens of Russia.

The IOC are fucking cowards.

by Anonymousreply 6507/26/2013

That's horrible, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6607/26/2013

Here's a small way to dust the Cheetos residue from our fingers while we sit on our computers typing over our moobs to support GEY ROCCIA!

by Anonymousreply 6707/28/2013

NBC Sports Chief Talks Sochi Olympics, Keeps Curt on Russia's Anti-Gay Laws

Russia's draconian anti-gay laws are stirring up controversy for NBC Sports as the division prepares for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. NBC Sports chairman Mark Lazarus would not directly address the issue at the division's Saturday afternoon Television Critics Association press tour session. But he promised that if the controversy was still front and center come Feb. 6, when the company's 18 days of coverage begins, it would not be swept under the rug.

"We'll address it at the time because it's still unfolding," said Lazarus, adding that the IOC has taken up the issue with the Russian government.

"The IOC has addressed it with the Russian government and has assured athletes, fans and media that there won't be any issues," he added. "Governments across the world have different laws. I don't know now it's going to [affect] us. If it is still their law and it is impacting any part of the Olympic Games we will make sure we are acknowledging it and recognizing it."

Earlier this month, the Russian government approved a law banning gay "propaganda," with those displaying pro-gay signs or speech at risk of arrest. The government also declined to allow a Pride House at the Games; Pride Houses, which welcome LGBT athletes and fans, have been a presence at world events for several years, including the Vancouver and London Olympics.

Certainly Bob Costas, who will once gain host NBC's primetime coverage of the Games, has not shied from addressing controversies – political and otherwise – during his on-air commentary. He called out the IOC for declining to acknowledge the 40th anniversary of the Munich massacre at the Opening Ceremony in London last summer. And he mocked NBC executives for cutting away from The Who's performance at the Closing Ceremony to premiere a special episode of now-canceled sitcom Animal Practice. Appearing on Conan O'Brien's late night program last fall, Costas deadpanned: "I'm sure you'd be the first to attest, Conan, when it comes to the tough calls, NBC usually gets them right."

Sitting on the dais at the Beverly Hilton on Saturday, Lazarus did not seem to find any humor in Costas' joke.

"He was looking for a quick joke, I didn't think it was funny," he said. But he said that such a situation would not be replayed during their Sochi coverage. "You learn some things along the way. I don't think we'll put ourselves in a position to do that again."

by Anonymousreply 6807/28/2013

I really am pissed about this and feel so helpless. I'm posting about this on facebook, twittering about it, emailing NBC, but I still feel so frustrated: I told my mother about this yesterday and although she follows the news closely, she had not heard anything about this. I'm so angry that the world is ignoring this.

by Anonymousreply 6907/28/2013

Spam it until it gains visibility r69, then boycott all Russian products, i.e. vodka, and then click the link in r67 and buy a tee shirt.

All three are good starts.

You are not helpless.

You are not alone.

by Anonymousreply 7007/28/2013

And boycott viewing the Olympics on NBC. NBC is pumping millions upon millions into the Russian economy and apparently is just waiting to see what happens? What does that even mean, just waiting until a gay Olympian is sweeped off the street? And letting the sponsors know you won't be supporting their products.

by Anonymousreply 7107/28/2013

I have not been able to find a complete list of networks showing the Olympics and the companies sponsoring it.

It would be a place to start.

by Anonymousreply 7207/28/2013

I hope Bob Costas remains prickly with NBC.

by Anonymousreply 7307/28/2013

Russian LGBT Activists and Supporters Call for Boycott of Russian Products and Winter Olympics

Queer Nation today issued a press release which claims gay and lesbian activists in Russia support the recent dumping of Russian vodka. According to a statement included in the group's release, those activists also support taking things a step further: boycott all Russian products - including the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

New York, NY (July 28, 2013) — In a bold statement sent today to Queer Nation, 23 leading LGBT Russian activists and their supporters called for a broad boycott of Russian products and the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

“International support is essential for the survival of Russia's LGBT community right now,” the July 28 statement read. “We appreciate and support all attempts to let the Russian authorities know that homophobic and inhumane laws will not go unnoticed and that Vladimir Putin's regime will not get away with antigay violence.”

The statement is an unambiguous endorsement of the “Dump Russian Vodka” campaign called for by Queer Nation, Dan Savage, Cleve Jones and other leading LGBT activists worldwide. The statement also endorses actor Harvey Fierstein’s impassioned call in the New York Times for a boycott of the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

“At great personal risk, these LGBT activists, their allies and organizations have called for our continued support,” said Alan Klein, a co-founder of Queer Nation. “Their courage inspires us to continue our work until such time as the Russian government repeals this anti-gay law.”

In June, the Russian Duma passed a law that barred pro-LGBT discussions and displays in public and on the Internet. Since the law was enacted, LGBT Russians and foreign LGBT nationals have endured violence and arrests.

Queer Nation expects that there will be additional endorsers on the Russian activists’ statement. The statement and list of signatories follows:

Dear Friends,

International support is essential for the survival of Russia's LGBT community right now. We appreciate and support all attempts to let the Russian authorities know that homophobic and inhumane laws will not go unnoticed and that Vladimir Putin's regime will not get away with antigay violence. We speak out in favor of boycotting Russian goods and companies and the Olympic Games in Sochi. We also appreciate the attention of international media; we need it. We would also support any legislative initiative aimed at holding the Russian authorities accountable for their homophobic campaign. Thank you for being with us in our hour of need.

Masha Gessen, author, journalist, activist Kseniya Kirichenko, lawyer and legal scholar Alexei Davydov, Radical Faggots Union; political council member of the Moscow chapter of the Solidarity Movement Maria Baronova, activist, Bolotnoye Case defendant Alexander Artemyev, journalist Olga Krause, poet, musician, activist Tasha Granovskaya, social worker, LGBT activist Bulat Barantaev, Homosexuals, Relatives and Friends Movement; member of the political council,Novosibirsk chapter of the Solidarity Movement Mitya Aleshkovsky, photographer, activist Karen Shainyan, journalist Galina Chachanova, freelance translator Yana Mandrykina, attorney Elena Nikitina Alexander Agapov, editor, Livejournal.com Elena Rifat Hakimova, activist Olga Kurachyova, journalist, LGBT activist Zlata Bossina, Quarteera e.V., an organization for Russian-speaking LGBT and friends in Germany Tagira Abdullayeva, LGBT activist, medical neurologist Anastasia Putseva, business consultant Tasya Krugovykh, filmmaker Yulia Selezen, philologist Anna Mikhailina Akram Kubanychbek

MEDIA: For interviews with signatories to the Russian statement above, please contact Queer Nation at news@queernationny.org, or at the contact numbers listed above, with your requests.

Queer Nation is a direct action group that is dedicated to ending discrimination, violence and repression against the LGBT community.

by Anonymousreply 7407/29/2013

I think we should boycott Russian things, but not the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 7507/29/2013

I think the EU, US and Canada should boycott. I totally agree, get them to move the Olympics to Vancouver, Torino, any of the cities that have hosted recently should be able to pull it off fine. This is complete bullshit and akin to Nazi Germany. If I new anything other than Vodka to boycott, I would. Fuck Putin!

by Anonymousreply 7607/29/2013

Boycott caviar, r76.

by Anonymousreply 7707/29/2013

A boycott could happen if they split it between Lillehammer, Torino, Innsbruck, and Vancouver. Each of those places already has enough facilities in place to handle part of the Winter Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 7807/29/2013

Sochi was a really bad choice anyway. They hardly get any snow, they have fucking palm trees in the city. Yes I know that the events take place at higher elevations but I read they got very little snow up there this year.

by Anonymousreply 7907/29/2013

Hey r10, there is ALWAYS a time and a place for human rights. The time and place is everywhere and now. To do less is cowardice of the worst sort.

We didn't get anything resembling equality for all in the USA without a struggle, and it probably won't happen in Russia without a struggle, either.

by Anonymousreply 8007/31/2013

Even the Nazis in WW2 tried to create the impression that Jews were not being persecuted. The Russians are worse than Nazis! I hope everyone on DL is writing to the OIC, to the UN and the Russian embassy, or in some way getting involved. We can't stand silent while our brothers and sisters are being persecuted.

by Anonymousreply 8107/31/2013

I love the Olympics, always have. I actually rearranged my life every four (then two) years because of the Olympics. Friends knew; I don't go out. When my mom was alive, we watched them together on the phone, racking up huge bills.

I look forward to them more than anything that doesn't personally involve me and my family/friends. I love them more, too.

More than anything, I don't want to boycott the Olympics (the athletes aren't at fault), but if they hold them in Russia and Russia has become like Nazi Germany, what choice is there?

I hope someone overthrows (or kills, I could live with that) Putin and this travesty of a government before Sochi 2014.

Meanwhile, are there organizations trying to help gay Russians get out?

by Anonymousreply 8207/31/2013

My son sent me a link to this article.

I still think the IOC should be pressured to move them but if not possible, a protest for the world to see would be great.

by Anonymousreply 8308/05/2013

Dan Savage wrote, "If gay and pro-gay athletes compete at the Olympics in Sochi this winter — there [bold]must[/bold] be a protest during the Sochi Olympics that is as powerful and indelible as Tommie Smith and John Carlos's protest during the Mexico City Olympics. It should happen on the medal stand while the world watches."

by Anonymousreply 8408/05/2013

[quote]The Russians are worse than Nazis! I hope everyone on DL is writing to the OIC, to the UN and the Russian embassy, or in some way getting involved. We can't stand silent while our brothers and sisters are being persecuted.

The Obama administration said we are not supposed to care about this because those oh-so-honest Russians have promised the administration that only gay Russians will be terrorized and jailed, not tourists.

by Anonymousreply 8508/05/2013

I understand the outrage. I will support the boycott. What I don't understand is why there is not equal outrage and boycotting against the American discrimination against equal rights and a federal gay marriage law.

by Anonymousreply 8608/05/2013

Gay teenager kidnapped and tortured by Russian homophobes believed to have died from injuries

The gay teenager who was kidnapped and tortured by Russian neo-Nazis has died from his injuries it has been claimed.

Spectrum Human Rights reports that the gay teenager kidnapped, tortured and forced to come out to his parents has died from his injuries caused by the attack. It quotes a doctor who is associated with the campaign against homophobia in Russia. As the victim has not been identified, PinkNews is unable to verify the claims.

Last month an image of the victim, stripped and covered with paint and forced to hold a sex toy, covered in red paint shocked the world. PinkNews has censored the photos below.

PinkNews has seen a shocking video of the torture of the man and other victims on a Russian social network. The videos are too shocking and indecent to be published on PinkNews. One features a victim being sprayed with urine, another (the young man believed to have died) is forced to play with a sex toy. Another is stripped and forced to put his face into a toilet and drink the water. One teenager is stripped and forced into a bathe and then made to brandish a sex toy. It is unclear how or why the videos were made and released.

Gay victims aged 12-16 are reportedly lured in by the group Occupy-Pedofilyay, led by Maxim Martsinkevich, known under the nickname “Cleaver”.

Videos are then circulated of the victims being made to come out as gay, with a view to parents, schools, or friends finding out about their sexuality.

A report from May notes that 19-year-old Alex Bulygin, a victim of the ‘fighters with paedophiles’ branch of the group, committed suicide after having his sexuality revealed online.

It also quotes one member as having said: “If I had my way – I would kill them, but the state does not allow that.”

The group was established with the intention of revealing the identities of paedophiles, but after turning to adult gay men, it has now begun targeting young teenagers.

The Spectrum report says that no police action has been taken against the incidents, despite numerous victims, and that over 500 similar groups have been formed across Russia using the VK social networking site.

The upper house of the Russian Parliament voted last month to approve both a bill banning adoption of Russian children by foreign same-sex couples and the nationwide anti-”propaganda” bill banning the promotion of “non-traditional” relationships to minors.

The bills, which have since been signed by President Vladimir Putin, bans foreign same-sex couples and unmarried individuals in countries where same-sex marriage is legal from adopting Russian children.

Last month, speaking exclusively to PinkNews, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg urged Russia to protect the rights of LGBT citizens following concerns about gay athletes and spectators attending the 2014 Winter Olympics.

In May, a gay man from the southern Russian city of Volgograd who was tortured to death in an apparent hate crime, was sexually assaulted with beer bottles, and had his skull “smashed with a stone”, authorities said.

by Anonymousreply 8708/05/2013

Propaganda lives: RT, the state run news agency that attempt to project a positive image of Russia to the rest of the world has a shocking piece of propaganda up, featuring a pair of gay Uncle Tom's, including activist Nikolai Alexeyev.

by Anonymousreply 8808/05/2013

Russia and it's arch internal ally, the Russian Orthodox Church, are evil and corrupt to the core.

Everything Russian should be shunned.

Everything.

by Anonymousreply 8908/06/2013

BREAKING: Russia Interior Minister confirms Olympic athletes will be arrested at Sochi under anti-gay law

Russia’s Interior Minister has just confirmed that Russia will enforce its draconian new anti-gay/anti-trans law during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, and that Russia will arrest Olympic athletes and guests who run afoul of the new law. That means an Olympic athlete appearing in public with their same-sex spouse will be arrested. It also means that an NBC reporter interviewing any athlete who does or says anything perceived as pro-gay – for example, mentioning their same-sex spouse or appearing in their home with that spouse – will be jailed.

by Anonymousreply 9008/12/2013

We should consider a boycott against the Winter Olympics corporate sponsors. These include:

Coca-Cola, NBC, Comcast (NBC's parent company), GE, McDonalds, VISA, Procter & Gamble, Dow Chemical, Kasperksy Lab, Samsung, Panasonic, and Volkswagen.

by Anonymousreply 9108/12/2013

get the word out on twitter- the best way to get media coverage is to make the olympics part of the worldwide conversation it to make it trend on twitter. facebook is great for starting conversations amongst your friends, but twitter is the de facto worldwide platform for breaking news.

tweet to nbc, the olympics and to government figures letting them know that human rights are more important than medals::

@nbc @nbcsports @nbcolympics, @olympics, @IOCmedia, @USOlympic, @barackobama, @david_cameron, @johnkerry, @whitehouse

here are the olympic worldwide "partners". tweet to them to let them know that they are sponsoring imprisonment, torture and killing of gays in russia by sponsoring the games:

@visa @mcdonalds @proctorgamble @samsung @panasonic @cocacola @generalelectric @dowchemical, @omegawatches, @atos

here are the hashtags to reference (no one hashtag seems to have taken over as "the" hashtag yet unfortunately):

#movethegames #movetheolympics #boycottrussia #vancouver2014 #boycottsochi, #notosochi, etc. #LGBT is good to add as well.

tweet to @georgetakei, @stephenfry, @HarveyFierstein, @allout to thank them for bringing attention to the issue, and to encourage them to continue to speak out about the games.

at this point all we can do is draw attention to russia's draconian laws, and hope that international pressure can sway public opinion. the games are going to go on, no matter what, but if we all pull together, we can turn them into a rallying cry and hopefully change russian attitudes to help save our bothers and sisters there.

by Anonymousreply 9208/12/2013

Surprised at Johnny Weir's comments. Can't believe he'd say such things. I mean, in Turin he wore a crown of roses like he was the princess at the fucking Rose Parade and he's telling gays to take it down a notch? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 9308/12/2013

Johnny Weir is married to a guy from Russia.

Today, olympic boycott is being discussed in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 9408/12/2013

R88, that same British gay dude living in Moscow from your video was today at RT's news, or I don't know when it was filmed but I saw it today when channel hopping. He was comparing Russia's situation with Thatcher's anti-gay laws that were valid in UK until 2003, and practically said that gays had their own culture and lived just fine in the UK and it will be the same in Russia.

How much money Russia is giving to these assholes who are defending these laws? They kept saying in the segment that these are not anti-gay laws but anti-propaganda laws to protect children, which is just bullshit. As a counter-voice there was some British lady from some organization in London to tell that gay youth needs information, and these laws are bad, and I'm actually a bit surprised that RT even lets that kind of views air. But I don't know about RT, is it practically meant only for the foreigners? They probably need to have at least some unpaid people from abroad to make the channel not look like a complete propaganda tool, which of course it is.

Anyway, horrible. Russia is just a shithole. Those fucking idiot gays defending those laws in public will always be remembered for what they have done.

by Anonymousreply 9508/12/2013

Coca-Cola is a HUGE Olympic sponsor, one of the biggest. Read their human rights statement, which specifically includes ***the communities in which they operate,*** then CALL THEM OUT ON IT. They have a 100% rating with the HRC; ask them if they really want to lose it.

1.800.GET.COKE (800.438.2653)

Twitter @CocaColaCo

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/cocacola

by Anonymousreply 9608/12/2013

Thanks for all that infor R97.

by Anonymousreply 9708/12/2013

Gay rights supporters protested in Amsterdam's largest square Sunday, carrying signs, singing songs and chanting slogans to condemn the Russian government's homosexuality policies.

Demonstrators especially criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin, with performers leading the crowd in cheering "Putin Out!" An enormous blow-up doll caricaturing the president flanked one side of the stage — flexing his muscles, bare-chested, and draped in a rainbow flag.

by Anonymousreply 9808/25/2013

Amsterdam's gay rights protest against Russia on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 9908/26/2013

#movethegames

by Anonymousreply 10008/26/2013

That's a good one R101.

by Anonymousreply 10108/26/2013

Jeremy Abbott, who compared speaking out about the Olympics to going to someone's home and commenting on the decor, justly flops at the Olympics, falling on ice, missing jumps.

Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 10202/06/2014

Ugh, I hit ww for R104 instead of ff. of course you can't correct your mistake.

R104 - go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10402/06/2014

I love how both the opening ceremony and now the ice dancers are using Tchaikovsky, one of Russia's most famous homos to celebrate Russian identity.

But they don't see the irony...

by Anonymousreply 10502/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.