Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Our Spoiled, Rotten Children

"With the exception of the imperial offspring of the Ming dynasty and the dauphins of pre-Revolutionary France, contemporary American kids may represent the most indulged young people in the history of the world," Ms. Kolbert writes, early on. “It’s not just that they've been given unprecedented amounts of stuff,” adding, "They've also been granted unprecedented authority." American parents are raising a generation of "adultescents," she writes. We don't say no. We tie their shoes. We do their chores.

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

What a horrible writer.

Isn't she really bragging that she's affluent?

by Anonymousreply 107/08/2012

With very few exceptions, all of the parents I am friendly with are raising horrible, lazy children. These kids treat their parents (and most others) like crap while simultaneously siphoning off large amounts of money. They enjoy lives of complete leisure while their parents work their asses off providing for them.

by Anonymousreply 207/08/2012

While I don't believe in walloping kids (my parents did, on occasion), I don't know why today's parents are so averse to setting boundaries and giving kids things to do (chores) and expecting them to complete them.

If their own parents didn't cater to their everyw him and helicopter over them from preschool to grad school, where did they get the idea that that's good for THEIR kids?

It seems to me they're creating a generation of giant frightened (yet entitled) babies.

We watched "Mad Hot Ballroom" on Friday, and the kids from the SoHo school, who did NOT finish first in their category had complete meltdowns, then discussed how utterly impossible it was that they didn't win when clearly they were better than everyone else.

Their teacher tried to steer them toward the idea of: you're 10 years old, you're NOT going to win everything in life, but they found that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 307/08/2012

Once Peak Oil hits in a big way, which will happen when these children are middle-aged, they won't have a clue about how to survive. They'll all die off quickly.

by Anonymousreply 407/08/2012

Peak Oil was a lie, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 507/08/2012

Are you serious, R1?

Are you some disgruntled mommy who knows you have created brats who won't tie their own shoes?

by Anonymousreply 607/08/2012

These new era of Americans will change the "Rat Race" into the "Cockroach Race".

by Anonymousreply 707/08/2012

If those kids are so great, why do they live in huts when they grow up?

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2012

[quote]What a horrible writer. Isn't she really bragging that she's affluent?

She's neither a horrible writer nor somehow bragging that she's affluent. Her comments are germane regardless of a parent's socioeconomic status: on a whole kids today *are* incredibly spoiled. Unlike most of DataLounge, I'm not going to go off on a tear (see case in point, poster at R2) about how awful "breeders" are and how helicopter parents are utterly ruining the lives of little Madison and Brittny by indulging them so lavishly, and also how "back in MY day kids knew how to behave, goshdarnit!" A wise, older family friend of ours put it this way: "Adults never remember what little shits they were as kids."

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2012

parents seem afraid of their kids nowadays

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2012

Oh good night: this bitch Elizabeth Kolbert grew up in wealthy Larchmont and then went to Yale. SHE should talk!

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2012

DL kind of dad. I wonder how this worked out for him:

[italic]Finally, in February, Crews decided he’d had enough. He sent his offspring an e-mail message, which is now known in Britain as the Crews Missile.

“Dear All Three,” he wrote. “With last evening’s crop of whinges and tidings of more rotten news for which you seem to treat your mother like a cess-pit, I feel it is time to come off my perch.

“It is obvious that none of you has the faintest notion of the bitter disappointment each of you has in your own way dished out to us. We are seeing the miserable death throes of the fourth of your collective marriages at the same time we see the advent of a fifth.”

Crews continued: “I wonder if you realise how we feel — we have nothing to say which reflects any credit on you or us. Fulfilling careers based on your educations would have helped — but as yet none of you is what I would confidently term properly self-supporting.”

Then he turned to his grandchildren. “So we witness the introduction to this life of six beautiful children — soon to be seven — none of whose parents have had the maturity and sound judgment to make a reasonable fist at making essential threshold decisions. ...

“The predictable result has been a decade of deep unhappiness over the fates of our grandchildren. If it wasn’t for them, Mum and I would not be too concerned, as each of you consciously, and with eyes wide open, crashes from one cock-up to the next. It makes us weak that so many of these events are copulation-driven, and then helplessly to see these lovely little people being woefully let down by you, their parents.”

Crews then finished his e-mail. “I want to hear no more from any of you until, if you feel inclined, you have a success or an achievement or a REALISTIC plan for the support and happiness of your children to tell me about.”

He signed the e-mail, “I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed. Dad.” [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

[quote]I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Not far from hissing at his offspring.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

I don't mean to sound all "oh in my day.." but recently at Thanksgiving my sister and I did ALL the cooking cooking and cleaning and my teenage nieces did nothing and they seemed to not to be expected to do anything. As a I kid, I remember helping set the table, etc. and eventually I learned how to cook, clean and take care of myself. Some times I feel like we are raising a generation of kids who can't do anything for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

We used to be able to beat and discipline our kids. Now they've made spanking a form of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

I totally agree with her.

Not one of my straight friends disciplines their kids. They all want to be "best friends" with their kids so they can be thought of as the "cool mom" or "cool dad."

And did you ever notice how EVERY SINGLE KID has a smartphone nowdays? It's ridiculous to indulge these children with such expensive "toys."

The real problem is that adults nowdays are so busy acting like kids and giving reverence to being youthful and cool, that they're no longer acting like adults.

Our society puts youth on a pedestal, and thus the ideal is no longer to be wise and mature, but to be young and good looking.

It's sick.

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

And yet those same entitled kids put Barack Obama in the White House while their parents tried to put Romney in the White House. Times change, and having kids with high (and disappointed) expectations is a good thing. Maybe we will finally have a generation with the gonads to take on the rich.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

You've done a stunning job of revealing your stupidity with that post, R17.

You think a generation of parasitic, basement dwelling, Cheeto munching slugs who can't even tie their own shoes are going to lead a revolution?

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

Absolutely R18, and I hope that you are one who faces justice!

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

A wise, older family friend of ours put it this way: "Adults never remember what little shits they were as kids."

If I was a "little shit" as a kid, and that could be defined as just about anything a kid would do, I was whipped with an Army-issue 'strap' until I was teenaged, or peed my pants, whichever was first.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

[quote] I was whipped with an Army-issue 'strap' until I was teenaged, or peed my pants, whichever was first.

And how did that work out for yah?

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2012

Many parents I know are living vicariously through their children (sports, school, activities).

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2012

Not too good, but I'm certainly not advocating it in any way.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2012

May I present Exhibit A from my town's police report that's published on the local news website:

11/13/2012 20:24 Caller reports via 911 that his parents are arguing, D/O heard active yelling in the background. POs dispatched. Caller states he was overwhelmed by his mother's constant pressure to get his school work done and to study harder for his exams, that he called NCPD. He states that from the time his mother picked him up from school until the time he called the police, his mother was on his case about why he wasn't doing his school work. He states his mother took away some of his privileges, such as the use of the computer and his cell phone, so he felt the punishment was harsh and wanted to speak to the police regarding this matter. His mother explained that there has been a constant battle to make her son focus and take his school work more seriously. So after learning about his most recent exam being put off for almost two weeks by him so he could prepare for the exam, she became upset when she found out his grade. The mother explained that she was simply disciplining her son by taking away some of his privileges in order to make him realize how important his school work is. Both parties were going to remain in the house for the rest of the night and the son was advised that his mother was responsible for his well being, so she was only trying to make sure he did well in school. Both parties were advised to call back if police intervention was necessary. 21:03:50 PO reports matters adjusted.

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2012

Is that for real, R24? The kid called 911 because his mother took his cell phone away? Yeah, things have changed little bit since I was growing up in the '60s & '70s. I would never [italic]dream[/italic] about calling the cops because my parents were disciplining me! And my parents had no qualms about using corporal punishment on us kids. My dad made it very clear to all of us that we had to follow his rules while we were living under "his roof". That was the impetus to move out as soon as we were able.

Before my dad passed away, I'm glad I got a chance to thank him for being a strict parent. I think it made me a better adult.

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2012

Yes, r23. Completely for real. It was on Nov 13. There is another incident where cops were called because the father wouldn't allow his teenage daughter to use the car, but she sounds like she might be mentally ill and not just spoiled rotten like the first kid.

by Anonymousreply 2612/03/2012

We live in the age of the tyranny of the child.

by Anonymousreply 2712/03/2012

"Madelynne, what do you want for dinner? Hmmm?" This heard from a mom pushing a 3 or 4 year old in the cart while the little brat screamed and cried and couldn't or wouldn't make up her mind.

I've got a revolutionary idea for parents. Make what YOU want for dinner and if they don't like it send them to bed without. Parents have indeed abdicated authority to their kids and their whole lives revolve around them whereas my parents lived a life that was separate from us. We were left with sitters while they went to parties and restaurants. People used to have child-free adult only gatherings. Now they drag them around willy-nilly at all hours of the day and night.

by Anonymousreply 2812/03/2012

Spoiled, Rotten Children = Baby Boomers

by Anonymousreply 2912/03/2012

Sounds like all of these responses could have gone on my Kids and Christmas thread.

by Anonymousreply 3012/03/2012

r29, today's parents are not Baby Boomers. They are Gen X, the first generation of latch key kids who apparently felt so neglected they end up helicopter parenting to overcompensate.

by Anonymousreply 3112/03/2012

[quote] but recently at Thanksgiving my sister and I did ALL the cooking cooking and cleaning and my teenage nieces did nothing and they seemed to not to be expected to do anything.

So why didn't you say, "Jayden, can you please shell these peas, this is how you do it", "Nutella, can you please dry these dishes"!

by Anonymousreply 3212/03/2012

to R17: Why does everyone on here have to relate everything to Barack Obama? You are all obsessed! enough...

by Anonymousreply 3312/03/2012

This very middle-class, very-white problem is a replay of the anguish faced by busybodies in the '60s.

"I worry about the miserable children!"

No, you don't; you're another asshole predicting Armageddon.

by Anonymousreply 3412/03/2012

The current crop of White Teenage Girls are the most spoiled American generation in all recorded history. Hands down!

Call them generation "Swift", after their idol.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2012

Yep, and the mothers are all starving, so they can shop in the kid and jr. department with their tween and teen daughters. It's gross

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

It's not just that they don't know how or can't say no to their kids' demands.

The parents are using their kids as lifestyle and status appendages.

They don't want to risk their own group status amongst other parents, so they give their 10 year old a cell phone so they don't look 'broke ass'.

Whether or not that's appropriate for that age isn't even an issue.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

Actually, they did not put Oboma in the White House, only 23 percent of the youth vote actually voted.

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

I used to work at a college that was not exactly cream of the crop. Not only were most of them lazy and manipulative, the school was just as bad so focused on money.

All they did was ask the teacher how they could change everything to accommodate the students individual quarks and learning style instead of the students getting adjust to college. Their big idea was for students to buy Ipods so they could listen to class instructions that did not exist.

Im not exaggerating, At least 6 kids per class came in with a written medical disability of ADHD. Translation = instructor must give more time for student to complete all tasks, repeat lessons as requested, extend homework deadlines, test deadlines and provide personalized tutoring.

We are not talking Harvard here, this was a half assed art school!

I just saw a commercial, their now offering a degree in the field of smart phones and iPads. SCAM!

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!