Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kathleen Turner

What do we think of her?

by Anonymousreply 10501/25/2015

I, for one, adore her.

by Anonymousreply 107/08/2012

I do too R1. I've just watched Romancing the Stone and she is an amazing, beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 207/08/2012

She's kind of cool. As a youngster I got her autograph at a play and she stood there for a long time asking what I thought and what other plays she wanted to do etc.

by Anonymousreply 307/08/2012

I used to love her, but all she really does these days is shitty movies (Baby Geniuses?!).

by Anonymousreply 407/08/2012

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 507/08/2012

Turner is what they used to call, "a good ol' broad."

by Anonymousreply 607/08/2012

I recently met her, if you can believe it. Friendlier than I expected, but still kind of and old school Hollywood bitch. In the best possible way.

by Anonymousreply 707/08/2012

A Hollywood bitch how R7?

by Anonymousreply 807/08/2012

I've always adored her too.

by Anonymousreply 907/08/2012

She will always be Matty Walker (Mary Ann Simpson) to me. The only other movie I've seen with her was Romancing the Stone and that was good.

by Anonymousreply 1007/08/2012

She's unique, special. I like her too, always have.

by Anonymousreply 1207/08/2012

Love her. Due for a big comeback, too.

by Anonymousreply 1307/08/2012

Knew her when we were at Mo State University in Springfield. Back then it was called Southwest Mo State. John Goodman was there at the same time. Kathleen pretty much kept to herself and many thought she was stuck up. I think she was focused on acting and what she wanted to do after leaving school. Had very short hair. Went by the name Kathy. You don't dare call her that now. Had the most beautiful legs. Did mostly plays. Was in the chorus of the musicals 'George M!' and "Sweet Charity" but not much of a singer. Her mother still lives in Springfield and Kathleen will go back and occasionally teach a master class at the school. I loved her in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "The Graduate." Also saw her in "Indecretions" but all I remember about that was that strange spiral staircase center stage. Oh, and Jude Law's nude scene LOL. Thought she deserved the Tony for Martha in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Maybe her upcoming production of "The Killing of Sister George" will transfer to Broadway and she will have another shot at winning a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 1407/08/2012

I used to like her more, but I find her voice a real limitation for stage work - that plus her weird phrasing make her kind of exhausting to watch now.

Like Tallulah Bankhead, but not as interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1507/08/2012

Crazy, fairly horrible person. Knew her in Hollywood. Once famously said that when she walks into a restaurant looking her best, any man who doesn't ogle her must be gay. Also described herself as "ferociously intelligent" to a director friend of mine when she was turning down a role that might have saved her career.

by Anonymousreply 1607/08/2012

She is my hero.

by Anonymousreply 1707/08/2012

I've loved her since The Doctors. She talked to me and my bf for 15 minutes after a preview performance of Indiscretions. ("So what did you think, boys?") Just watched her in "The Perfect Family" last night ... unlike R15, I think her voice is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1807/08/2012

I think she'd be a hoot to have drinks and dinner with. I bet she holds nothing back and would spill all the good stuff from her career.

"Serial Mom" alone makes her a goddess in my book.

by Anonymousreply 1907/08/2012

I've told this story before...she transferred to UMBC (my alma mater) for the final couple years of college, which she doesn't really talk about much. Made the papers for a production of "Steambath" as an undergrad, in which she was topless. I think her performance in "Serial Mom" was outstanding; she and Sam Waterston had a wonderful, weird chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 2007/08/2012

She said this in an interview in NY Magazine while Elizabeth Taylor was still alive:

"Part of my mission in life is to correct Elizabeth Taylor’s performances."

Unnecesarry nastiness.

by Anonymousreply 2107/08/2012

What role did she turn down R16?

by Anonymousreply 2207/08/2012

She trashed her time on The Doctors in her book.

Said the scripts were garbage and the only way she could justify her character, was perhaps she was a drunk, so that is how she played the character.

She had nothing but disgust for The Doctors.

by Anonymousreply 2307/08/2012

Love her. I'd like someone to cobble together a cast for "The Kathleen Turner Show."

by Anonymousreply 2407/08/2012

Is she a good stage actress? Can she be a character other than KT?

by Anonymousreply 2507/08/2012

R6 has it correct. I met her as she was coming out of a taxi in NYC. She flung open the door and when the door came back at her, her foot flew out in a pink neon flip flop and she stop the door in its track. I watched her move along and she is very much a "broad".

The End.

by Anonymousreply 2607/08/2012

Saw her in Virgina Woolf was not impressed with her at all on stage nor was I impressed with her virgina. She has nothing over Liz Taylors performance in Virgina Woolf.

by Anonymousreply 2707/08/2012

No even remotely bright person, however humorless, refers to himself/herself as "ferociously intelligent."

by Anonymousreply 2807/08/2012

...and I love her personally and professionally. She is a wonderful woman to be around and a great (if mannered) actress.

by Anonymousreply 2907/08/2012

R14 and R20tDid she have that unique accent back then? I bet she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 3007/08/2012

He's tremendous! Best drag queen eva!

by Anonymousreply 3107/08/2012

She was playing Martha, R27, and she was terrific. Taylor's movie version was inferior in every way.

by Anonymousreply 3207/08/2012

R27, I wasn't impressed with her virgina either.

by Anonymousreply 3307/08/2012

She's my dad.

by Anonymousreply 3407/08/2012

Adore her. Love her in Romancing the Stone, Peggy Sue Got Married, and so many other movies.

by Anonymousreply 3507/08/2012

I always thought she was a real phony. I remember for a while she would speak with a real put on Spanish accent. Real phony for sure. She ain't all that.

by Anonymousreply 3607/08/2012

Glug "rheumatoid arthritis" glug glug?

by Anonymousreply 3707/08/2012

In the '80s, she had the best career out of any film actress (yes, including Saint Meryl). I adore her. She should've won the Oscar for Peggy Sue Got Married.

by Anonymousreply 3807/08/2012

Is she fat from the meds, the alcoholic bloat or both?

by Anonymousreply 3907/08/2012

My guess is the meds.

by Anonymousreply 4007/08/2012

She's had rhuematiod (sp?) arthritis for about 20 years now and that's what caused her to gain weight and look older, and of course the drinking added to it. She's a great broad, in the best sense of the word.

I recently re-watched 'Body Heat' and it still holds up wonderfully. What a great movie! And Kathleen and William Hurt were smoking hot back then.

by Anonymousreply 4107/08/2012

Ugh. Just the sound of that name makes me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 4207/08/2012

My favorite actress of the '80s, no contest, never left NYC or might've had longer career.

You young unsgo find "Crimes of Passion" and watch it -- and then ask yourself what name actress today would take that kind of risk. She was a kick and quite beautiful in her prime.

(And, yes, see also "Body Heat", "Serial Mom", "Peggy Sue..."... even her one scene in the "Marly" movie is pretty damn funny. And of course as the transi dad on "Friends" (the only way the young ones know her).

Phony or not, she was a great Bacallesque movie star. don't make 'em like her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4307/08/2012

I read an interview Kathleen did a while back and she said people come up to her and ask her to leave the outgoing voicemail message on their cell phones. They usually want a Serial Mom line ("cocksucker residence," etc.) and Kathleen said she is happy to oblige. She thinks it's all great fun.

That right there makes me love her.

by Anonymousreply 4407/08/2012

Varla Jean Merman tells a story about being meeting KT at an event, and KT being very complimentary and pleasant. Then someone requested photos of the two of them - still fine - but when Varla put her hand on Kathleen's shoulder for the photo, Kathleen bristled and said something like, "Don't touch me - I don't even KNOW you."

by Anonymousreply 4507/08/2012

Kathleen Turner has no subtext.

She has a great voice and a fair amount of onstage charisma, but she can only manage one emotion at a time, and her stage performances are, in my estimation, competent.

The revival of VIRGINIA WOOLF in which she starred with an equally uninteresting Bill Irwin had the unlikely effect of making you think the play was never all that good in the first place.

And it's one of my three favorite plays, so.

by Anonymousreply 4607/08/2012

I was in a fancy schmancy restaurant in NYC and the quiet was pierced by her honking, weezy laugh. She looked like she was having a ball at her table. All of her dining companions were men.

by Anonymousreply 4707/08/2012

She does a lot of work with Planned Parenthood. I think her arthritis is in remission and she's starting to work a lot more now.

by Anonymousreply 4807/08/2012

Her 80's filmography is terrific. Great performances. Meryl could never do a CRIMES OF PASSION or ROMANCING THE STONE.

The only true misfire in that decade was SWITCHING CHANNELS.

by Anonymousreply 4907/08/2012

Worked with her on a Charles Busch play called "The Third Story" about 5 years ago. She was very unhappy working on a new play that Charles kept rewriting as we were in rehearsals and previews - she couldn't remember what lines were in or out - major retention problems. So everyone else in the company had to help her along to make sure the piece flowed.

Also, she has foot problems because of the RA, so she can't wear heels anymore and can't walk very quickly, which was DEATH to the play's pacing and staging. She knew she wasn't very good in the play (her agent told her to do it - "Busch is like SERIAL MOM onstage" which of course it wasn't) and got poor reviews, as did the play itself.

At the closing night party, she was nasty to Charles and the company - not friendly or apologetic. Of course we later learned she'd gotten the VIRGINIA WOOLF revival while we were running and she couldn't wait to leave us and go do a "GOOD play" (as she told her dresser, we later learned).

So she can suck it and rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 5007/08/2012

That bitch tried to get me fired. C*nt.

by Anonymousreply 5107/08/2012

Perhaps the story is true, but Turner is known for refusing candid photos, all the way back to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

by Anonymousreply 5207/08/2012

The RA has really left her hands, feet and joints a total mess. Watch her wear sandals. Or watch how she stands - like a sumo wrestler. Poor thing took a serious beat-down from that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5307/08/2012

Regarding her accent, a friend did tell me that her dad was in the foreign service and the family traveled a lot, mainly through Latin America. As a result, her English did have a Spanish tinge to it, and she was self-conscious about it.

by Anonymousreply 5407/08/2012

[quote]In the '80s, she had the best career out of any film actress (yes, including Saint Meryl). I adore her. She should've won the Oscar for Peggy Sue Got Married.

bitch please, I had 6 nominations in the 80's! She had 1!

by Anonymousreply 5507/08/2012

She's very blunt and not terribly gracious backstage. But she's a pro and she's not lazy or vain.

I've worked with her.

by Anonymousreply 5607/08/2012

She did a wonderful job in Peggy Sue. I think Nick Cage's dreadful performance dragged down the movie as a whole and probably ruined her chances of a win.

by Anonymousreply 5707/08/2012

She's a tewiffic actwess. Don't take my word for it--ask her!

by Anonymousreply 5807/08/2012

Ha! I'm skinnier and prettier than both of these wilted roses.

by Anonymousreply 5907/08/2012

R59 Oh, balls!

by Anonymousreply 6007/08/2012

Theresa Russell reminds me of her, too. Where is she these days?

by Anonymousreply 6107/08/2012

Theresa has continued acting - she was in one of the Spidernans and in a dark film called The Box, Thersea has really kept her looks, though.

by Anonymousreply 6207/08/2012

Love her in War of the Roses.

by Anonymousreply 6307/09/2012

Spidernan sounds interesting R39!

Tell us more...

by Anonymousreply 6407/09/2012

Oh R32, you must have been watching the show through sperm covered eyes. YOU ARE NUTS!

by Anonymousreply 6507/09/2012

I'm fatter than all three of you all and still get more work! And, I was one of the original "Dreamgirls" to boot.

by Anonymousreply 6607/09/2012

well articulated r46, couldn't agree with you more about the Whose Afraid Of Virginia Woolf revival.

I was especially surprised that Bill Irwin got away with such a cliched, mincing performance that completely missed the "music" of Albee's writing and was in every respect obvious and unimaginative.

Equally mystified by Albee's endorsement of the production. I heard him say with my own ears he hadn't seen it "done better" and I know from past dealings with him he is very outspoken and uncompromising abou casting.

I do know he saw Irwin [who is an extremely nice and agreeable man] in a Beckett piece and immediately extrapolated from that performance hw would be a perfect George. Many people agreed, r46 and I are definitely in the minority.

Turner wasn't much better and the only aspects of Martha she understood were the sloppy, broadest moments. Both of them seemed to miss the humor and the sexuality between the characters.

Having said that Kathleen is a pretty cool lady. She can be decidedly uncool also but that is often because of alcohol and whatever drugs she takes for the RA.

The more she drinks and or the more insecure she is feeling in any given situation the more crazy the stuff that comes out of her mouth.

She has no business believing, for instance, that she is fixing any of Elizabeth Taylors performances. Taylor having been a far superior Maggie and Martha on film anyway.

As r46 writes, she has no subtext onstage and her appeal was always her manufacgtured persona and the balls it takes to pull something that far out off.

I heard her tell a table of people that Liz Taylor sucked as Martha because she "had no voice NO VOICE" she proclaimed without expanding on what she meant.

but ten minutes later insisted she had never seen Taylors performance. So go figure, she claimed she hadn't seen anyone do Martha before she did it which probably isn't true but she should have gone to the performing arts library to listen to Uta Hagen as a guideline.

OFFSTAGE HOWEVER, Kathleen Turner is a fascinating person, intelligent [she will be the first to tell you] politically active [she will be the first to tell you how much] and has a great sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 6707/09/2012

I've liked her a lot forever and I love that, although it's certainly not been her choice to age the way she has, she doesn't try to create the illusion she's still young and glamorous, like say, Cher or Jessica Lange or almost everyone else from her generation in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6807/09/2012

I agree, R68. You do have to give Kathleen a lot of credit for basically just saying "fuck it" when her looks went and continuing to act and find roles that were appropriate for her age and appearance. Most actresses who were that drop-dead gorgeous and then aged as hard as Turner did would have lost their minds and become crazy recluses. Kathleen seems to have taken it in stride and moved on and made the best of it. I like her for that.

by Anonymousreply 6907/09/2012

[quote]She has no business believing, for instance, that she is fixing any of Elizabeth Taylors performances. Taylor having been a far superior Maggie and Martha on film anyway.

Elizabeth Taylor could not act her way out of Minnie Mouse cartoon (a character she should have played with that tiny whiny voice of hers)

She was truly awful on both roles and her performances are laughable.

Turner was awesome in VW and got all of the nuance.

by Anonymousreply 7007/09/2012

I don't think Turner was ever ultra-invested in her looks. Otherwise, she wouldn't have risked them by doing as many of her own stunts as she could. Her nose was noticeably broader after VI Warshawski as she broke it while doing a stunt on that film.

by Anonymousreply 7107/09/2012

R70 = Kathleen Turner

by Anonymousreply 7207/09/2012

I'm a longtime fan but I know she has been an alcoholic, I hope she is winning the battle.

by Anonymousreply 7307/09/2012

She continues to drink.

by Anonymousreply 7407/09/2012

"very affected" sums her up for me.

by Anonymousreply 7507/09/2012

Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Roz Russell, Marilyn Monroe, etc,etc, none of them at all "affected"

by Anonymousreply 7607/09/2012

How many cigarettes does Kathleen smoke in the course of a day? Her voice is deeper than a man's at this point.

by Anonymousreply 7707/09/2012

I LOVED her in "The Perfect Family" with Emily Deschanel!

by Anonymousreply 7807/09/2012

She was HUGE in the early to mid 80s between body heat and peggy sue. Maybe up until war of the roses. The second coning of lauren bacall. Gorgeous with that distinctive husky voice. Crimes of passion is hysterical and is my favorite. Has to be seen to be believed. She soooooo wanted that oscar for peggy sue. The look on her face says it all. Like shes silently pleading and hoping. Then her face drops when william hurt announces marlee matlin the winner. Lol

by Anonymousreply 7907/09/2012

She surpassed one-trick pony Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 8007/09/2012

r67, thanks for agreeing with me about Turner not playing subtext! I've seen her onstage twice, in VA WOOLF, and in, what was the name of that Jean Cocteau thing with Turner and Eileen Atkins and Jude Law before he was famous and Roger Rees and Cynthia Nixon! INDISCRETIONS, that's it. Amazing cast, and each cast member was in a different play. Rees was in HAY FEVER. Law was in MARAT/SADE. Atkins was in LOOT. Turner was in PICNIC. And Nixon was in CLOSER. I wanted to see they play that Atkins was in, frankly. Turner has wattage, but no complexity. It's a bright bulb that casts no shadows.

by Anonymousreply 8107/10/2012

R76, Bette Davis is mannered. Kathleen Turner is affected like she's doing an impression of a mannered actress.

by Anonymousreply 8207/10/2012

Who saw her in 'High'? Her flat ass in those polyester pants and all that screaming. The fight scene with the young naked stud with the low hanging balls was the only saving grace in that dud.

by Anonymousreply 8307/10/2012

What? Do we think of her?

by Anonymousreply 8407/10/2012

We think of her. We think of her fondly.

by Anonymousreply 8507/10/2012

I have to agree with r77 on her ever-deepening voice.

A couple of years ago, she did a voice over for TCM. When she said, "you're watching Turner Classic Movies," I had to hear it a few times before I realized it was her. I guess it goes back to so many of your "affected" comments.

by Anonymousreply 8607/11/2012

When she was a student at SMS, now Missouri State University, she would do vocal exercises where you put an eraser in your throat. Or something like that. I was always too afraid I'd swallow....

by Anonymousreply 8707/11/2012

I think you mean between her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 8807/11/2012

R88 LOL Yes, I guess you are right!

by Anonymousreply 8907/11/2012

Is she a transsexual? Or just an extremely butch lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 9012/22/2012

If you ask me, she's over-weighted.

by Anonymousreply 9112/23/2012

Bitch stole my voice!

by Anonymousreply 9212/24/2012

Kathleen Turner is America's Glenda Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 9311/01/2013

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 9411/01/2013

Bumping because of talk on the Angie Huston thread. She was a beauty in the 80s to early 90s and has real chops. I even enjoyed V.I. Warshawski.

by Anonymousreply 9511/10/2014

by Anonymousreply 9611/10/2014

"I went to college"

by Anonymousreply 9711/10/2014

She was the only interesting part of Californication

by Anonymousreply 9811/11/2014

Catherine Hicks played her daughter on Peggy Sue Got Married.

by Anonymousreply 9911/11/2014

that was Helen Hunt.

Hicks played her friend.

by Anonymousreply 10001/25/2015

Catherine Hicks is a nurse now. Maybe she can help Kathleen with her RA.

by Anonymousreply 10101/25/2015

Kathleen always makes me think of Lauren Bacall.

I love her voice. She's gong to be a phenomenal elderly woman.

by Anonymousreply 10201/25/2015

Kathleen Turner's MasterClass on HBO should be required DL viewing. It's got Kathleen telling your bitches how to act + a young twink who bares the feets.

by Anonymousreply 10301/25/2015

Love this woman. She's been everything from a major movie star femme fatale, to first rate comedienne, to sex symbol to serious fucking stage actress to activist to someone who's gone to hell personally and come back punching.

And her Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was, in the word of Cherry Jones, when Cherry won the tony over Kathleen that season, "genius." Truly, Cherry, truly.

by Anonymousreply 10401/25/2015

R11, Diane Wiest seems so lovely. I remember her mostly from her role in 'The Lost Boys'. She was the ideal mother figure, warm and sweet but with this quiet protective ferocity. Corey Haim once called her his 'second mom'.

Kathleen is awesome, she was spot-on as the HBIC and evil witch tyrant in 'A Simple Wish'. I wish she did more campy villain stuff on tv.

by Anonymousreply 10501/25/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!