Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chad Griffin, Human Rights Campaign's New President

"One's state's borders should not determine one's rights," said Griffin, the new president of the Human Rights Campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2012

I used to give to HRC as a Federal Club member but stopped because of Joe S. I'm going to see what direction Mr. Griffin takes things and I will consider donating again.

by Anonymousreply 107/07/2012

I'm willing to take the "wait and see" approach as well. Joe Solmonese came to HRC with a reputation as a prolific fundraiser, and he turned it into a social club for wannabe A-gays with a bottomless appetite for wine and cheese. Chad is (allegedly) a gay rights activist who wants to refocus HRC's energy on rallying gays, lesbians, and their allies--regardless of their race or socio-economic status. I wish him the best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2012

I stopped giving to HRC when Joe Solmonese focused all their attention of banquets and award dinners.

by Anonymousreply 307/07/2012

Joe Solomonese was never interested in solving anything. He threw Hamas to ensure his paycheck, nothing more. If HRC had managed to achieve equality, he would have been out of business. As a large donor, this disgusted me. If--and only if-- HRC manages true wins in Congress and starts helping out activities at the state grassroit level, they'll see my money again. But not before and not if they resume their"gala" bullshit. Every day brought an email announcing a gala or begging for a donation -- while every victory was achieved by smaller organizations that HRC ignored yet whose achievements they took credit for. . .including one that I personally worked for. They need yo get their shit together and prove their worth.

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2012

Hamas = Galas. Damned phone.

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2012

[quote]Hamas = Galas

Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking ... Hamas? Was that a person?

Joe Solomonese alienated [bold]a lot[/bold] of people, has done long term damage. Why did they let him stay in charge so long?

I don't envy Chad Griffin but if he is as he appears, eventually support will come back and increase for HRC.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2012

As much as I dislike Joe Solmonese, I didn't think he relied on Islamist fundamentalists for his paycheck! Thanks for clarifying.

by Anonymousreply 707/08/2012

I'd have been much more impressed if he's said "One's state borders should not determine one's rights."

by Anonymousreply 807/08/2012

I haven't given to HRC in ages either... for all the same reasons cited.

by Anonymousreply 907/08/2012

I knew Chad from his undergrad days. He was very down-to-earth 20 years ago. I too am looking forward to see what he does with the HRC.

by Anonymousreply 1007/08/2012

This comment by a HuffPo user sums the situation up perfectly:

[quote]I think Chad is a great choice, but he has much to do. One of the biggest is addressing the perception that HRC is there only fighting for the well-to-do, richest gays, and not worrying so much about the average, middle-America gays. I was at the hotel last year where HRC was having a reception after President Obama spoke at the annual dinner. And the contempt from HRC staff for those of us who were just there and weren't part of the elite was very troubling. Even though we were contributing partners to HRC through monthly donations, we were treated as if we weren't even there at all. That attitude of the elite gays vs. the regular, average gays needs to be broken down and broken down fast if HRC is to continue in a leadership position in the community. Chad I think is the right man for the job. At least I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 1107/08/2012

I've known Chad since he was 16, we went to high school together. He is one of the most focused people I have known, and is determined to help all LGBT people. He's highly intelligent, very compassionate and well respected; even in our hometown.

If he was willing to take on Prop 8, and do as well with the effort to repeal it, he will be exactly what HRC needs.

by Anonymousreply 1207/08/2012

Cosmetic. It won't change the culture of privileged class passivity and stalemate that dominates the HRC.

by Anonymousreply 1307/08/2012

I wouldn't say that, R13. If he's a strong leader, Chad Griffin can do a lot to change the culture that exists at HRC.

by Anonymousreply 1407/08/2012

There is a problem with trying to attract "ladder climber activists". The Gay Social club strategy does not work unless you have a social club of exclusively powerful billionaires and celebrities and/or massive amounts of angry poor.

A social club containing a small number of well to do, but generally powerless whites and token minorities, does not a fighting machine make. What HRC is indifferent to (GLAAD also), is inequality impacts the poor class LGBTs the most.

by Anonymousreply 1507/08/2012

Joe Solmonese's HRC salary package was $370,000.00 and he has a staff of more than 150 full time workers. Two years ago, HRC had a budget of $42 million.

by Anonymousreply 1607/08/2012

[italic]In October 2009, someone posted the following at DL:[/italic]

I dont know what it is like today but I volunteered at HRC in the early 1990's and stopped volunteering and donating when I found out that, yes they are an audited charity, but... the travel agency that did all their hotels and travel was owned by an HRC board member.

Huge "consulting fees" were paid to the "Triangle" Foundation which was comprised of board members of HRC, the database and mailing agency was owned by an HRC board member and... their percentages for overhead came out as in line because they counted a portion of those fundraising letters as an "education expense".

I believe that Elizabeth Birch cleaned stuff up a bit but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 1707/08/2012

Joe Salmonese was named President after his lesbian predecessor left amidst some scandal. I think the lesbian had only been in office for a few months.

I remember when Joe came to speak to our HRC group as his very first speaking engagement. He started off his speech by saying, "I knew you were my kind of people when a couple of the guys here noticed that my shirt was a (insert fancy schmanzy designer here)!!! No one in DC would even know who that was!"

by Anonymousreply 1807/08/2012

HRC endorsed Joe Lieberman, a staunch supporter of John McCain over his pro-marriage equality opponent Ned Lamont.

HRC also endorsed Republican Susan Collins, dividing Maine's LGBT community after Equality Maine endorsed her more progressive opponent Democrat Tom Allen.

HRC endorsed Mary Bono who has received shamefully low scores from every major civil rights organization except HRC.

HRC endorsed Al D'Amato, an anti-choice, Reagan supporting Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1907/08/2012

It's a terrific quote. Let's throw a banquet to celebrate it!

by Anonymousreply 2007/08/2012

All I can see is Joe Solomonese throwing hummus at various staffers when he got angry.

"Here's some pita bread, too!"

by Anonymousreply 2107/08/2012

Joe's a Filipina. You know he was bossy.

by Anonymousreply 2207/08/2012

I kind of get a Susan G Komen vibe from HRCF. They are not really about what they are about, it's about collecting money to support pretentious assholes.

No thanks to both.

by Anonymousreply 2307/08/2012

Has their been a welcoming benefit to benefit Chad on his new position as HRC's new role as the Overlord of Benefits?

by Anonymousreply 2407/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!