Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Indigo Girls - Emily Saliers

There was an earlier thread discussing them when their tour was canceled due to emergency illness. Emily was ascertained to be the sick one.

Here's an interview with Emily Saliers from May. Any DL guesses on the condition she's suffering from? Looks like Parkinson's to me. Whatever it is, it's wrecked her.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2014

She seems smart and sweet. Like she'd be enjoyable to hang out with. Funny just hearing that voice speaking, if you asked what singer this is, I could have guessed, hmm, Indigo Girls?

I don't see uncontrollable Parkinsons shakey-shakey going on. She does a faint anticipatory nod-nod thing at times but it seems cued to the conversation. My grandma had Parkinsons and even in its early stages it was the hint of "bobblehead doll in motion".

I hope her health is okay.

by Anonymousreply 107/07/2012

All the best to her.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2012

I hope she just has nerve damage or something and not Huntington's or anything equally as serious.

by Anonymousreply 307/07/2012

Lots of people have a slightly bobbing head as they age and it's totally benign (plus to me it just looks like she's nodding in response to the interviewer).

I noticed she's leaning to the left a lot - perhaps she had a stroke.

My colleague (mid 40s) had a mini stroke and it left her slightly withered on one side for a while.

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2012

She looks really unhealthy and has for a while. Aside from getting so heavy. Is she drinking? Prednisone?

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2012

[quote] She looks really unhealthy and has for a while. Aside from getting so heavy. Is she drinking? Prednisone?

Emily has never photographed well. I was amazed (20 years ago!) to find out how much better looking she is in person.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2012

I saw a show recently, and they were good, if not amazing. She looked fine, although clearly she's gained some weight. I'm not going to speculate to what is specifically is wrong with her, if anything. As long as she's feeling well enough to perform, that's great. I wonder if she wasn't just utterly burned out, and in need of a break.

by Anonymousreply 707/07/2012

[quote]Emily has never photographed well. I was amazed (20 years ago!) to find out how much better looking she is in person.

Neither of them have ever taken good photographs.

by Anonymousreply 807/07/2012

Seriously R8. I've never seen a photo of the Indigo Girls where they didn't look like they'd just finished changing the oil in their Subaru Forester. I'm not saying they have to be glamour queens on stage, but would it kill them to dress up a little and run a comb through their hair?

by Anonymousreply 1007/07/2012

Amy Carter? r9, you must be in the same circles I used to run in in ATL if you're seeing all three of these people. Please see your ophthalmologist ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 1107/07/2012

Saw them at a concert this week and she looked better. I was glad to see it.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2012

She's suffering from an ailment known as Obesity.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2012

Apparently Emily Saliers' partner is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

Saw the Indigo Girls last recently. The show was really good. Amy is as fine as she ever was but Emily's voice was a little off. She warbled a bit like an old lady. It wasn't enough to hurt the songs but you can tell the difference. (And she's gained a ton of weight.)

Her guitar playing was as perfect as it has ever been. She talked to the audience and seemed cheerful and with it. It was just her voice that was a bit decayed.

I hope she's doing okay.

I'd be surprised if she will be able to perform for many more years.

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2014

There was also an appearance on a cooking show that alarmed me. Amy did most of the talking and Emily kinda stood there, almost like she had dementia. It was really odd.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2014

So does anyone know what is wrong with her?

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2014

Amy Ray's new solo CD, 'Goodnight Tender', is really good (very country).

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2014

R17, here's the clip for the cooking show you mentioned, Emily seems perfectly lucid to me. In fact looks like she was down a few pounds at the time too.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2014

r20, link?

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2014

Being a virtuoso on guitar pretty much rues out Parkinson! I think Emily looks just fine. She´s a 51 yr old lady who´s had a stressful and irregular life (try touring at the intensity she has!) and still works her arse off to keep us happy. I love her to bits! More power to her elbow!

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!