Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I saw Moonrise Kingdom and was very disappointed. Cheap and story of very little interest.

No one in this flik was noteworthy and some of the old farts were comparatively shabby performers. Save your money and avoid this silly, cheaply made and uninteresting story. The entire film reeks of an amatuer effort.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

It should be animated. After seeing Fantastic Mr. Fox I decided that all of his movies should be animated.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2012

Flik? Yeah, I'm going to take your opinion seriously.

by Anonymousreply 307/07/2012

Why in the world would you expect anything good from Wes Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2012

I saw it recently, and I thought it was awesome. Mid-40's, white, graduate degreed professional. I guess it appeals to a certain demographic.

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2012

The promos turned me off.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2012

Overly formal to the point of suffocating any incipient life out of it. And a whole lot of smug rich-east-coast-white-people air to it. Totally unrelatable and lacking human emotion.

by Anonymousreply 707/07/2012

Hell, I've never even heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 807/07/2012

Loved it. Totally charming.

by Anonymousreply 907/07/2012

I absolutely loved it - charming, well directed and acted, real story telling where some characters are well developed and only parts of others are. i guess I align with R5's demographic.

by Anonymousreply 1007/07/2012

Wes Anderson could swallow a roll of Kodak film and shit out a movie that critics will automatically over praise. His biggest uhh hum "hit" was "The Royal Tenenbaums" that was a snoozefest. The rest no one bothered seeing.

by Anonymousreply 1107/07/2012

Wes Anderson perversely gets off on making his performers look stupid. That kid couldn't say his lines worth a damn and when he got struck by lightning and his face turned black he looked like a total idiot. If I had been Edward Norton I would have refused to wear those scoutmaster hot pants.

by Anonymousreply 1207/07/2012

What R11 said. I liked Anderson's first film best. I am not sure he's grown as a person or as a film-maker. But we only have a handful of good ones here, so we have to praise them regardless of the quality of their work.

by Anonymousreply 1307/07/2012

Movies like this one and the Royal Tennenbaums just try too fucking hard to be quirky. So tired of this whole category of flicks. I refuse to go see it.

by Anonymousreply 1407/07/2012

He needs to stick with animation. FANTASTIC MR FOX is by far his best film.

by Anonymousreply 1607/10/2012

"Bottle Rocket" and "Rushmore" are both classics, but I've found everything else of his since a little too cold, yet filled with forced whimsy.

by Anonymousreply 1707/10/2012

We saw this one yesterday. Quirky, cute story, unexpected turns, interesting offbeat look. Thumbs up from us.

by Anonymousreply 2007/10/2012

R19, clearly you are too old and bitter to get it.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2012

This contains SPOILERS in case anyone wants to waste their money seeing this crummy film.

"Charming?" What in hell was "charming" about this movie?!

All the adults are unattractive losers who seem deeply depressed. Everyone in the film talks in a lifeless monotone, even the children. The two young "lovers" are intelligent but deeply emotionally disturbed (this is made clear in the movie) and are so lacking in affect and remorse as to appear sociopathic.

A "charming" movie where the girl heroine stabs another child in the back with a pair of scissors? Where's the "charm" in a little dog getting killed by an arrow shot through its neck? How "charming" is it to see two 12 year olds french-kissing and hearing that the tongue-kissing has made the boy "hard?"

The fans of this movie must have a few screws loose, because this is nothing but a crapfest. I've heard Wes Anderson's movies tend to be a very similar and that he has diehard fangurls who swoon over his edgy brilliance. They must all be batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2012

r21 your cool. r22 your just a sad person.

by Anonymousreply 2307/14/2012

People are so used to dumbed-down Hollywood formula drek that anything that isn't is attacked as boring and pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 2407/14/2012

Even Wes Anderson doesn't like Wes Anderson films. He believes his films reveal "the king has no clothes" minded film types.

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2012

Only Tilda Swinton brought any life to it.

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2012

One reviewer called his style "smug eccentricity".

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2012

but I had fun with this movie!

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2012

I have to agree that Moonrise Kingdom is a bore ...I mean, you've seen one moonrise, you've seen them all. Even though I haven't seen it, I can't recommend this film.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2012

It's one of those movies that I really don't know how I feel about. Part of me found it charming. Part of me found it cloying. All of me finds it inconsequential and I'd recommend that anyone going to see it not expect anything other than that in order to enjoy it (or not) for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2012

I liked the cat!

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

Late to the party on this one, but I found it insufferably arch. Why can't Anderson let his actors talk to each other, rather than at each other? I understand what he's doing, but it left me feeling that there wasn't a genuine moment in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

OP, why are you surprised? Have you never seen a Wes Anderson film? This one was typical: stunted man-child-type-guys, some of whom are in fact children, share their love of irony with each other, while inappropriately sexual women tease them, and the camera moves very slowly from left to right, over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

He's like Woody Allen, if Woody Allen was a constipated WASP.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

And yet the Data Lounge can't get enough of Les Mis.

Wes Anderson's films aren't for everyone, but you watch one scene and you know you're watching a Wes Anderson film. Very, very few filmmakers have that kind of impact. Fashion magazines are still doing fashion spreads based on the Royal Tenenbaums based on the film's costumes - I can't think of too many other films that have that kind of longevity.

I also find his films to often be hilarious and moving, if uneven. They're not emotional in an over the top kind of way, but that's the sort of emotions that lots of people, like me, relate to. I've linked to an Anderson-centric tumblr that I found the other day.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

I agree, R24 and R38.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

this movie was turturous

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

I found it a mildly amusing movie but nothing new oe terribly interesting and, again, a great deal less interesting than the myriad of great tv shows we have right now.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

My favorite live-action Wes Anderson film. I thought it was delightful, one of my favorites of the year.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

WA makes quiet films full of style and nuance. Not for everybody, but if it suits you, you'll be charmed for a few hours.

I love this film, it's like a macaron.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

I liked the kids with the exception of the two lead. She looks like Lana del Ray. Hated that the dog got killed. Overall I agree it's just way over the top in its twee-ness. Great Rhode Island locations though.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

Collectively, DataLounge doesn't like anything unless it has at least 30 years of nostolgia behind it.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

One of the most overrated movies of the year. Like a little kids movie.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

R7 nailed it. Only hipsters who are impressed by shiny cinematic distraction - the children talk like adults, and the color schemes are so retroactively innovative! - like this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!