Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How did you get your current job?

I am particularly interested in the non conventional methods.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

I had a resume floating on and and got cold-called by a temp/placement agency. I got interviewed by the company and they hired me.

by Anonymousreply 107/05/2012

Mailed my resume into a company after seeing an ad in the newspaper. It was 11 years ago, when I thought buying the right expensive resume was key to getting the right job. It seems so funny now thinking how much time I spent finding the perfect resume paper.

by Anonymousreply 207/05/2012

A good friend of mine worked for the company and happened to be friends from college with the supervisor. I'd met the supervisor while out with my friend and told him if he was ever hiring to look me up. A few months later he called me in, I had a very short interview with the manager (who was more concerned with planning her wedding than doing her job) and I started the following week.

by Anonymousreply 307/05/2012

I married the boss's son.

by Anonymousreply 407/05/2012

I called a friend to see if he needed help, he did and I've been working with him for three years now.

by Anonymousreply 507/05/2012

Current job: I was perfect for it on paper - it's a unique, hard-to-fill position -- and became irked that I didn't even get a callback from HR. So I started calling around to colleagues at other orgs who might know something. 4th call was the jackpot - he says, "wow, I just went out sailing with the senior vp, he thinks they have no candidates, and you'd be perfect for it; I'll call him this afternoon."

Three days later I was interviewing there nearly all day long, and within a week they offered me the job and I immediately accepted.

The backstory: My ability to make those calls didn't come out of nowhere; in 2000 I took a board director position with my regional/national professional org, started presenting at conferences, hosted some roundtable breakfasts, all that "networking" type of stuff. For a decade. It ends up paying off - provided you truly are good at what you do.

by Anonymousreply 607/05/2012

I fuck my boss (ok, he's my partner).

by Anonymousreply 707/05/2012

R6 = ScioBot

by Anonymousreply 807/05/2012

The work I do is in a very small world (although part of a much larger world) and got a personal referral from a colleague. Networking in my world does pay off.

Now, as a hiring manager, a personal referral does move you to the top of the interview list.

by Anonymousreply 907/05/2012

R8: ha, couldn't be more wrong.

I know the advice about networking is tough for some to hear (witness the growing thread for loners whose only consistent community is Datalounge). But it's true.

by Anonymousreply 1007/05/2012

Got laid off from my FT job 3 years ago and started freelancing/consulting. Wouldn't have been my first choice at the time, but I think I'd have a hard time working in another staffed position again.

by Anonymousreply 1107/05/2012

I was recruited from my old job, which I got by simply applying. My old job is the only one I've ever had where I wasn't at least acquainted with someone on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 1207/05/2012

I'm a freelancer and found my current, well paying but not full time gig through my college job board.

by Anonymousreply 1307/05/2012

The other posters are right about networking. Most places get so many resumes/applications that it's really hard to get hired the average way. Some job listings get 250 - 800 applicants. I don't care who you are, those odds are awful of someone in Human Resources picking your resume out of all of those

by Anonymousreply 1407/05/2012

I am 42. In December of 2011 I was out of money having been unemployed for a long time. I had waited on tables for years when I was younger. I never dreamed I would return to it but desperate times and all that...

I had no current restaurant-related references but decided to go for it. I started at one end of the street in the expensive, trendy area of my city, determined to make my way from restaurant to restaurant, selling myself.

I was hired by the first restaurant I stepped foot in. Someone had quit the day before and the owner was literally penning the help wanted ad when I showed up.

I now work with a group of twenty-five year old men who look like models. I make $30.00/hr. I am shocked and grateful. Life is wierd.

by Anonymousreply 1507/05/2012

[quote] I don't care who you are, those odds are awful of someone in Human Resources picking your resume out of all of those

I totally agree with this, but I have to add, if you have a very specific talent, then maybe you can be lucky. I sent my resume into Disney and forgot about it. Literally years later, I got a call from a recruiter there who found my resume stuck in the bottom of a drawer and my experience was exactly what they wanted. (Got hired)

There was also a period in my life where I was sooo burnt out on interviewing that I decided fuck it I would just do temp work. At one of the companies I was temping, the manager liked my work so much, they created a perm position for me and started me on a new career.

by Anonymousreply 1607/05/2012

Believe it or not, it's the best job I've ever had. Good pay, great benefits, decent colleagues. It's high stress but that comes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 1707/06/2012

I had just finished studying and was working as an office temp (I temped part-time throughout my studies), and had been on the one assignment for a while. A supervisor pulled some strings and had a 12 month contract created for me. 6 months later, another section (it's a large state government legal office) needed an anthropological researcher and my manager mentioned to their manager I had a relevant degree. A quick internal interview followed and I got the job. That was eight years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1807/06/2012

I blew the head of HR.

by Anonymousreply 1907/06/2012

Worked with person who started her company and asked me to be CEO. I said yes. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 2007/06/2012

Another person who found a job via Craigslist.

Listing was from a temp agency for a temp to perm gig.

I had to interview andy test with the temp agency even though it was something I was more than qualified for. Then I interviewed with the company. Got offered the job same day.

He to do 3 months as a temp. Was made "permanent" and 2 weeks later they laid off 25% of the company. I was promised more money when I was made permanent. It didn't happen, but I shouldn't complain. I am the newest person there and they let go of of many people who had been there from the start.

In the past week, the job went from being something I was really enjoying to something I'm fast hating because I'm now expected to do the work that was once done by 3 people.

I wonder how I'll find the next job.

by Anonymousreply 2107/06/2012

I fucked my way to the top.

Jealous much?

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2012

Craigslist. Well, sort of.

I responded to the company's Craigslist ad and got no response. A month later, I saw the same ad on Craigslist again, and although I assumed they weren't interested in me, I figured it couldn't hurt to answer the ad again. The second time, however, I emailed the company through their website, instead of replying to the Craigslist post. That same day, I got a call from an HR rep eager to schedule an interview.

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2012

Query: is it truly a necessity to have an online presence now? Must you be on LinkedIn and Twitter and Facebook et al to find a job?

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

I kept in touch with an ex-colleague and he told our ex-boss I was looking for a job. We met for lunch and he offered me my old job.

When I left the job originally, I never thought I was ever going to go back to it. I was really done. He was/is a great boss in many ways but when the economy went bad and the cash dried up, I was laid off. It hurt and I walked away with a bit of chip on my shoulder. I thought he chickened out the way he handled it. He basically made it out that it was purely a corporate call and he was shocked, shocked! that I was being laid off. I would have appreciated him being more upfront with me. There was a 4 month period from when I was told about the layoff till my last day and he acted as if nothing happened the entire time.

But I left cordially and kept everything in check. He wished me luck and offered to be great reference (I never used it as I was offered a job within days of leaving). It's true, never burn bridges, you never know when you'll need a lifeline.

The downside is that he hired me back as contractor so there's very little job security and the middle man company offers zero benefits. I mean, none, zip, nada. If I don't work, I don't get paid. If I work every weekday, it comes out to about 80K annually. So that beats unemployment.

All in all, I'm grateful to be working but also realize that the job is not meant to be long-term. I do need to start looking for a more permanent and secure position. I checked my grad school site today and I could feel my head throbbing, my stomach curling and my blood pressure rising--looking for a job is really the pits.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

What if you already have a job? Are they cool with their employees being on Linked In?

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

Fucked the Boss woman

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

Was hired to do one job in government, and kind of rolled into two different ones that were higher pay. Did it mostly because I happened to build up a certain expertise. I'll be the first to admit I've been lucky.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

Something unexpected suddenly happened to my predecessor. Quite suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

The olde fashioned way, I earned it

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

Took a civil service test.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

Do you really need to ask?

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

When I found out that the owners of the company were going to lose the building in foreclosure and planned to move to a smaller, more distant location, I knew I had to get out. I went into my office and started looking on Craig's List. I sent my resume to two different companies, and to my relief both got back to me within the hour. I interviewed for one the next night and in less than 5 minutes, I knew I had it in the bag. I later learned they had received over 100 resumes and were giving up hope they would ever find the right person for the job. That was almost four years ago, and I'm still there. It's one of the best jobs I've ever had. Great co-workers, low stress, good pay, FANTASTIC benefits. Most importantly, we are growing like crazy and will be moving to a larger location this summer.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

I found out which university he would be attending, and then I decided to switch my choice of school to his. I quietly stalked him inserting myself into his circle of friends while at university. Dated for more than eight, long tedious years.

Waited patiently and rather impatiently for him to ask me to marry him. And then finally got hitched. The paparazzi take photos of me now and then and I bitch about the lack of privacy. Go on holiday frequently. Got pregnant. Now I'm in it for life--if you want to call this a job. But I'll never work a day in my life.

And that's how I got my current job.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

I answered an ad for part-time weekend work. I interviewed but they didn't call.

A couple months later they called offering a full-time position. I jumped at the chance, knowing I'd be able to save money by walking to work instead of driving to my current job 15 mi. away.

Turned out the new boss was a bi-polar nutjob. He loved to fire people for minor infractions, and we always feared we were next.

Then the company asked him to recommend someone for a new building. He wanted to look good, so he nominated dependable me- and off I went and never looked back at that hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

Recruiter from Fortune 50 saw my Senior Project. Told me to call when I graduated. Six years ago started at $46,000. Last year made $140,000 with OT.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!