Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are the feds keeping an eye on Scientology?

Surely some legitimate organization, (FBI, military, whatever) is keeping tabs on the Church of Scientology. they must be considered a potential terrorist threat. They're huge, rich, powerful, and incredibly shady. They're a very real danger to average Americans and they must be considered to pose a security threat to the country.

Why has no one tried to stop them?

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2013

They're apparently not huge. They inflate their membership numbers to an almost otherworldly level.

by Anonymousreply 107/05/2012

In contrast, the violent Mormon cult keeps watch on the FBI and CIA. That's the difference betweeen real power and Scientology fantasy power.

by Anonymousreply 207/05/2012

[quote]In contrast, the violent Mormon cult keeps watch on the FBI and CIA. That's the difference betweeen real power and Scientology fantasy power.

I call bullshit - they can't even remember where they buried the golden plates. And it was in their own fucking yard.

by Anonymousreply 307/05/2012

I am convinced that the reason no Federal agency has come down on them yet is that they have Scieno infiltrators in every one of them, whose specific job is to dig up internal dirt that can be (and is) used to blackmail the agencies off their back.

That has to have been how they did it with the IRS, because that is the nastiest agency outside of Customs & Immigration, and they never would have backed down if someone inside hadn't threatened to out all their miserable behavior.

by Anonymousreply 407/05/2012

See below. About 10 years later, Scientology gained tax exempt status. Chances are that they found something during Operation Snow white or a similar operation and used it to leverage tax exemption. Why Scientology was not totally obliterated after operation Snow White is a mystery. The only explanation is that they found something that would be very embarrassing to the Federal Government if made public.

by Anonymousreply 507/05/2012

Scienos got tax exempt status from the IRS, because they have literally unlimited funds and motivation to hire the "sharkiest" lawyers and file umpteen lawsuits. They've broken records in the number of frivolous measures filed. The FBI, like all governmental agencies, can only spend so much money. They are also sensitive about extremely negative publicity for interfering with a "religion," something Scienos really know how to exploit. There is a difference between traditional Mormonism and the off-shoot sects practicing plural marriage and rampant abuse of children and the welfare system. I'll bet the FBI, IRS, etc. are encouraging the media to exploit Katie's outing of Scienos, as the cheapest way to expose all cults and lessen their seemingly unlimited power and control.

by Anonymousreply 607/05/2012

The Feds are typical of the right wing infestation of American organizations of authority (Homeland Security, FBI, NSA, CIA, Pentagon). They are all founded on Evangelical Christian roots.

Therefore, Jesus cults like Scientology and the Mormon Church are ok, but homosexuals, Occupy and labor rights groups are the "dangerous ones".

America is a scary place.

by Anonymousreply 707/05/2012

"...because they have literally unlimited funds..."

No they don't. That's just part of their strong arm PR.

by Anonymousreply 807/05/2012

Your mind is a scary place, R7.

Scientology is not a "Jesus Cult"

by Anonymousreply 907/05/2012

With the level of control Scientology has over their minions, the feds would emulate the practices, not discourage.

by Anonymousreply 1007/05/2012

Scientology didn't just get tax-exempt status by threatening the lawsuits and digging up dirt people.

They also threw a lot of money at the politicians charged with regulating/investigating them.

I mean just look at Greta Van Susteren's hubby who was one of Hillary's stop bundlers in 2008 and then moved on to attach himself to Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 1107/05/2012

R3 doesn't get it. Mormons derive their power from forcing people to pretend to believe in things they know aren't true. It's a gang loyalty test. In MS-13 you have to kill someone. In Mormondom you have to fuck some non-Mormon over and publically announce you believe in non-existent golden plates.

by Anonymousreply 1207/05/2012

The feds are terrified of taking on ANY religion. It is illegal for ministers to advocate political positions from the pulpit and still maintain their tax exempt status. Many ministers told their congregations from the pulpit to vote for Prop 8 in CA and to vote for Amendment 1 in NC. Nothing has been done about it and nothing will be done about it. It would be political suicide for the president.

by Anonymousreply 1307/05/2012

Except that scientology is not a "religion". It's a mix of pop psycobabble, scifi and brainwashing techniques.

by Anonymousreply 1407/05/2012

Unfortunately R14, Bill Clinton got Scientology classified as a religion by the IRS. Prior to Clinton they were not considered a religion with tax exempt status.

by Anonymousreply 1507/05/2012

From The New York Times:

COLLECTIONS>SCIENTOLOGY Scientology's Puzzling Journey From Tax Rebel to Tax Exempt By DOUGLAS FRANTZ Published: March 09, 1997

(Sorry don't know how to do links)

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2012

You think the FBI is a legitimate organization, OP?

It's been corrupt since its inception.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2012

Actually, r13, it isn't illegal for churches and preachers to take political positions. The only political thing churches cannot do is advocate for or against a certain candidate.

According to IRS regulations, churches can take positions on ballot initiatives and still keep their 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.

Also, as long as they are not endorsing individual candidates, pastors are allowed to endorse ballot initiatives from their pulpits.

Here's a link to the IRS rules on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2012

Only when Scientology misses a montly payment.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2012

I hear their mens only steam bath in Florida is fabulous and if you're high ranking enough, you don't have wear a blindfold.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2012

There was a link posted to an article from the UK newspaper The Independent in one of the other TC/$cieno threads yesterday. The author had made an expose documentary about the "religion" and he stated that they have a huge headquarters in East Grinstead in the UK, and that there are very high up $cienos in the UK government, police force, MI5, etc. They are obviously infiltrated where it helps them to keep going as they do. Sad, but true. I think no religion should be tax-exempt. It's a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2012

I think if an organization has lots of money and a certain amount of power, they are left alone.

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2012

The problem with all these rumors of Scienos infiltrating high-level government institutions is that they simply aren't smart enough. They get caught up in the arcane rules of Scientology and the various hoops one has to jump through to succeed and that's what occupies their minds. Most of them just aren't very bright. Lord knows the kids who grow up in the group don't ever succeed in any real world professions other than play acting onscreen. Other than the movie and TV stars, he "smart" ones end up working in the group's mafia goon wing but they could never, ever hold their own in something like MI5.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2012

Not in the British MI5. The Pentagon has a very high percentage of Evangelicals as does the NSA, but most Western military forces and their intelligence agencies, do not have cult/religious backbones.

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2012

These theories about Co$ doing all this stuff to infiltrate the CIA or MI5 crack me up.

All they need to do is dump a lot of money in politicians' coffers and they get left alone, or worse receive government contracts/promotion.

This happens all the time every day. Probably more at the state and local level than the federal level actually now that they've got their tax-free status from the feds (purchased by donating lots and lots of money to Bill Clinton).

I remember in the early '90s the Republican governor of Illinois had a huge embarrassment when he declared L. Ron Hubbard Day not realizing what Scientology actually stood for.

Yet just last year the Illinois legislature had Nancy Cartwright promoting some Co$ pamphlet about making good choices that they wanted to get in the public schools.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2012

Not true R25. Look up the Plymouth Brethren.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2012

R16, I responded nicely to you on another thread about where to find the help menu.

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2012

R29, Still figuring out "help" but thanks. Just allow me some extra time. At least I got the "R29" part down. LOL

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2012

I too am more terrified of the Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2012

America needs stronger anti-cult legislation.

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2012

The Muslims will get you

by Anonymousreply 3307/13/2012

r33 = childish clam

by Anonymousreply 3407/13/2012

The following is a comment I read on a discussion on how to end Scientology.

A reporter should dig in and find out how 3 IRS exec's ended up on the Board of the cult and why it still evades FBI investigation. There's big manipulation going on somewhere behind the scenes!

by Anonymousreply 3507/21/2012

$cientology kills. Seriously, they murder people. And they own a town--Clearwater, Florida. The city medical examiner is a $cieno, no surprise that the strangest means of death can get ruled as "suicide."

They are evil.

by Anonymousreply 3607/21/2012

I agree and can't understand why the FBI is not involved..

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2012

It's a very clever occult! here we are knowing about all the shit that they do, and yet no one can close it down. If ppl want to believe that ET is out there and god knows what, then that's fine as long as no one is suffering for it. I think the celebrities that are in volved in this, are in way to deep an don't have the luxuary of walking.

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

I'm sure Scientology pays off people in the federal government on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!