Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Breaking Frank Ocean Confirms Bisexuality In Open Letter

You probably may not know him but he is the most critically acclaimed song writer and R&b artist of this year and the last. A very big deal and alot of hype surrounding his upcoming release ‘Channel Orange"

A very beautiful read . Its sad how this is going to affect his career .but i ask all of you to go out and support him when his album drops .He makes very beautiful music . Profoundly moved by his letter read it below

"Whoever you are, wherever you are… I’m starting to think we are a lot alike. Human beings spinning on blackness. All wanting to be seen, touched, heard, paid attention to. My loved ones are everything to me here. In the last year or 3, I’ve screamed at my creator. Screamed at clouds in the sky.

For some explanation. Mercy maybe. For peace of mind to rain like manna somehow. 4 Summers ago, I met somebody.

I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that Summer and the Summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence.. Until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless.

There was no escaping. continued at the link

by Anonymousreply 34706/06/2015

Who he?

by Anonymousreply 107/04/2012

Congratulations Frank. Touching letter and you're a hero for putting yourself out there in a field that could use all the help it could get.

Of course, this will be ignored by the mainstream media. It would be nice if people like Dan Savage would tweet about this. Spread the word a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 207/04/2012

Who's Breaking Frank Ocean?

by Anonymousreply 307/04/2012

r1... yo mama

by Anonymousreply 407/04/2012

Ha! I thought the thread title read Bethenny Frankel Confirms Bisexuality In Open Letter

by Anonymousreply 507/04/2012

OP the site u linked to, it has some virus or something

by Anonymousreply 607/04/2012

RRRRFRSHFFxhxhffsdbxvbxr6 are you sure i am how i am on the site and it has no problems

by Anonymousreply 707/04/2012

Well thats a well crafted letter. Very brave of him to reveal all of that.

Frank has had some altercations with Chris Brown.

by Anonymousreply 807/04/2012

lol r7. OP's link works for me too but here it is on Gawker. He's pretty talented and very likable in interviews, best known for appearing on a couple of songs on the Jay-Z/Kanye album and being The Mature One in dipshit kid supergroup Odd Future

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2012

this kid is very brave. I'm loving his "novacane"

by Anonymousreply 1007/04/2012

sorry for the mess in post r7 R6 what is your problem with the site .It seems fine to me

by Anonymousreply 1107/04/2012

Frank is awesome. He's well known in urban music circles and has been on albums by Jay Z and Kanye West. He's also bffs with gay bashing rapper tyler the creator who tweeted that hes proud of frank.

by Anonymousreply 1207/04/2012

Very hard thing to do to come out at the start of your career like that and for it to be in the Rap Music World. Someone had to be the first. Beautiful words.

Interesting that he came out on Tumblr after midnight with this statement. HIs original intention was to have this be in liner notes of his new cd. He was forced to come out earlier due to all the rumors after a BBC music reviewer spilled it by saying there were three songs that referred to a he (and not a she)

I also had no idea who he was but my 18 year son knew right away and of his work with Jay-Z and Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 1307/04/2012

[quote]Frank Ocean Confirms Bisexuality

Translation: He's GAY but likes to fuck women occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 1407/04/2012

[quote]Frank has had some altercations with Chris Brown.

Who hasn't?

by Anonymousreply 1607/04/2012

He's far more likely to be bisexual than gay.

by Anonymousreply 1707/04/2012

r6 here, r7/OP... when I went to your site, my cursor began blinking and then this pop-up constantly came on, even after I had closed it. After I closed the tab with your link, everything went back to normal. I use firefox, maybe that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 1807/04/2012

r10 i use google chrome no problem from here

by Anonymousreply 1907/04/2012

Whoever you are, wherever you are… I’m starting to think we are a lot alike. Human beings spinning on blackness. All wanting to be seen, touched, heard, paid attention to. My loved ones are everything to me here. In the last year or 3, I’ve screamed at my creator. Screamed at clouds in the sky.

For some explanation. Mercy maybe. For peace of mind to rain like manna somehow. 4 Summers ago, I met somebody.

I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that Summer and the Summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence.. Until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless.

There was no escaping.

No negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love. It changed my life. Back then, my mind would wander to the women I had been with. The ones I cared for and thought I was in love with. I reminisced about the sentimental songs I enjoyed when I was a teenager.

The ones I played when I experienced a girl too quickly. Imagine being thrown from a plane. I wasn’t in a plane though. I was in a Nissan Maxima. The same car I packed up with bags and drove to Los Angeles in. I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for them, know I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn’t admit the same.

He had to go back inside soon. I was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn’t tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I’d only imagined reciprocity for years

Now imagine being thrown from a cliff. No. I wasn’t on a cliff. I was still in my car telling myself it was gonna be fine and to take deep breaths. I took the breaths and carried on. I kept up a peculiar friendship with him because I couldn’t Imagine keeping up my life without him. I struggled to master myself and my emotions. I wasn’t always successful.

The dance went on.. I kept the rhythm for several Summers after.

It’s Winter now. I’m typing this on a plane back to Los Angeles from New Orleans. I flew home for another marred Christmas. I have a windowseat. It’s December 27, 2011. By now, I’ve written two albums. This being the second. I wrote to keep myself busy and sane.

I wanted to create worlds that were rosier than mine. I tried to channel overwhelming emotions. I’m surprised at how far all of it has taken me. Before writing this, I’d told some people my story. I’m sure these people kept me alive. Kept me safe… sincerely. These are the folks I wanna thank from the floor of my heart. Everyone of you knows who you are.. Great humans.

Probably angels. I don’t know what happens now, and that’s alright. I don’t have any secrets I need kept anymore. There’s probably some small shit still, but you know what I mean. I was never alone, as much as I felt like it..As much as I still do sometimes. I never was. I don’t think I ever could be. Thanks. To my first love, I’m grateful for you. Grateful that even though it wasn’t what I had hoped for and even though it was never enough, it was. Some things never are…And we were. I won’t forget you. I won’t forget the Summer.I’ll remember who I was when I met you.

I’ll remember who you were and how we both changed and stayed the same. I’ve never had more respect for life and living than I have right now. Maybe it takes a near death experience to feel alive.

Thanks. To my mother, you raised me strong. I know I’m only brave because you were first…So thank you. All of you. For everything good. I feel like a free man. If I listen closely, I can hear the sky falling too.

by Anonymousreply 2007/04/2012

Fine, but the self-dramatizing mythic shit is more adolescent than I can stand, especially since it offers a smokescreen to the simple facts behind the blather.

Maybe he'll learn in time to drop the bullshit of the environment and just be strong. In the meantime, fine.

by Anonymousreply 2107/04/2012

Never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 2207/04/2012

Whoever Frank's lover is really turned him out. That must have been some great dick for him to feel like he died and rose again like Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 2307/04/2012

R13 .Emm his a song writer .This was supposed to be at the thank you side of his album . He could have chosen to keep quite or to just say She instead of he in his music and nobody would known .

Note that he has come out Just before his first album release .In a move that will probably end his career.That took guts . I wouldnt have TBH

by Anonymousreply 2407/04/2012

I like all the dramatic poetic way he did this. It breaks up the monotonous coming out story of 'I came out for all the bullied kids' story that's the current norm. It says this is not just about sex, but about who you fall in love with. It put the emotions of the struggle he felt out there.

It also stops people in their tracks from harassing him with ARe you sure or maybe this is just a phase or maybe you haven't put enough thought & effort.

by Anonymousreply 2507/04/2012

Awesome, Frank.

by Anonymousreply 2607/04/2012

In today’s R&B and Hip-Hop industry, there are many gay and bisexual men but they never admit their status publicly because we still live in a patriarchal, heterosexist western society. Male artists are forced to conform to heteronormative standards as ‘ideal’ men and homosexuality is considered as the extreme deviation from those norm

by Anonymousreply 2707/04/2012

There's a video of Justine Bieber and will smith's son singing one of his songs and it made my ears bleed

by Anonymousreply 2807/04/2012

This is really brave, and I'm proud of him.

The feedback online has been pretty positive. I think Anderson coming out the same week, makes it easier for most to deal.

by Anonymousreply 2907/04/2012

So there really is such a thing as a Carribean Queen.

by Anonymousreply 3007/04/2012

R27,

Do you think that's the only reason, or do you think that for economic reasons it makes more sense for males to remain in the closet to gain female fans and therefore make more money?

Even when straight stars are asked about their love lives, they tend to say they are single, even when they are not, to give their fans the fantasy of still having a shot.

by Anonymousreply 3107/04/2012

so many homophobic tweets being tweeted to him right now .I Hope he just stays away from social media

by Anonymousreply 3207/04/2012

I'm angered by the homophobic tweets from the black community...straight men who used to be hardcore fans don't want anything to do with him or his music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3307/04/2012

Well coming out can be beneficial. I would have never heard about this guy if he didn't come out.

by Anonymousreply 3407/04/2012

This is going to end his career...

by Anonymousreply 3507/04/2012

It's not just the homphobes.

Out Magazines article. Could they be any bitchier? I mean really?

----------------------------------------------

Did Odd Future's Frank Ocean Come Out?

Says his 'first love' was a man. Russell Simmons and Tyler the Creator give support We already profiled Odd Future's Syd the Kyd, the openly lesbian member of the hip-hop group, and she explained the group's focus is to be truth-tellers. "We’re just a group of kids who make mistakes," she said, "and rather than lying about them, we use the truth to tell other people, people our age, ‘Know that you’re gonna make mistakes. Shit isn’t gonna be perfect. If you need to scream at somebody, do it and apologize later.’ We try to be as honest as possible.” Now, after rumors that Frank Ocean came out as gay or bisexual on his latest solo album, Channel Orange, the 24-year-old member of Odd Future (and Kanye West's protegé) has posted a statement to his Tumblr that explains that his first love was a man and how it changed him forever.

"4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. "By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life."

Some in the hip-hop community say this is a landmark since he's one of the first artists to come out about his sexuality.

Russell Simmons wrote a statement of support for Ocean on his website Global Grind, lauding the up-and-coming talent for his bravery. "Today is a big day for hip-hop. It is a day that will define who we really are. How compassionate will we be? How loving can we be? How inclusive are we?" he wrote. "I am profoundly moved by the courage and honesty of Frank Ocean. Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear. These types of secrets should not matter anymore. "His gifts are undeniable. His talent, enormous. His bravery, incredible. ... Frank, we thank you. We support you. We love you."

Ocean's bandmate, Tyler the Creator, also expressed his support, we think. In his Twitter, he wrote: "Fucking Finally Sus Boy @frank_ocean Hahahaha, You Still Aint Got No Bitches Hahaha My Nigga Dawg. My Big Brother Finally Fucking Did That. Proud Of That Nigga Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever. Anyway. Im A Toilet."

Ocean has not clarified his current relationship status.

by Anonymousreply 3607/04/2012

This was a good post on Tumblr about Ocean coming out and how it differs from Anderson Cooper's recent announcement:

[italic]Wow. Life as an GBT male of color in the past couple of days has gotten quite a bit brighter. One thing I don’t think a lot of people realize who aren’t LGBT-identified is simply how difficult it can be. I’ve definitely had it easier than most, but many struggle with their identity, and I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t myself. Living as a black, gay male, I feel as if life is significantly harder. The queer world strongly focuses on what is white, cisgender, strictly gay or lesbian, and often what is as close to straight in appearance as possible. The African diaspora often rejects any semblance of queerdom due to perceptions of a lack of masculinity or what seems to be impossible reconciliation with religion. The combination of my race and sexuality has caused me to calculate, for better or worse, all of my social decisions, especially when dealing with one of my “identity groups” or the other.

This is why Anderson Cooper and Frank Ocean coming out as gay and “not straight”, respectively, matters. For gay, bi, and transgender males in general, this is the first strong and visible role model we’ve gotten. A la Ellen DeGeneres. You take someone who did warzone reporting for two decades and has done interviews with some of the strongest, most powerful, and most influential figures in the country and the world abroad and he’s out all of the sudden. There’s nobody who can cut down and emasculate him, as not just any guy can go and do what he did for years on end and still come out together and composed like he has. Now that he’s out, millions of guys now have a strong, LGBT role model to look up to. One that we’ve needed for years, especially in the wake of what seems to be a new publicized suicide every two weeks or so.

But Anderson isn’t enough. Anderson Cooper is an amazing guy, true, but the fact of the matter is that he’s still white, very rich, a descendant of one of the most powerful families in the country, male, and strictly gay. He’s more or less what America is supposed to be, outside of his club promoter boyfriend. Like I mentioned earlier, lgbt people of color have it harder. We just do. Not only are our races generally ignorant, disinterested and even hostile towards LGBT issues, but the institutions which define our races’ cultures are for whatever reason fundamentally and generally homophobic. The influence of the church, hip-hop and r&b music, and professional sports all lean to the homophobic side. Ballot measures on LGBT rights have been defeated before on racial lines, and before President Obama’s announcement on his changed support, African-American polling numbers were consistently the worst on the issue of same-sex marriage.

This is why Frank Ocean’s blog post early this morning is crucial. Frank Ocean is the first entertainment figure in the black community to come out in this point of his career. Considering how important the entertainment industry is to black culture and minority culture in general in terms of role models, this is a huge deal. To be frank, a singer in arguably one of the top three hip-hop collectives who regularly does features on the albums of top artists has much more clout in urban culture than another white reporter. Or even a black reporter in the case of Don Lemons. It gives urban (or even rural or suburban), minority queer youth a model to look at in the midst of an inherently homophobic society. The best part is that he has the medium of music, which is probably the most permeable to the most people. Not only will he create a beacon of hope for those who need it, but he’ll also cause minds to change where they need it most.

I can’t even name five, living, and out males of color who are still active in their careers off the top of my head. But I can name at least one now. And when his album drops in 13 days, I’m sure we’ll see the effects of his honesty and bravery for the community at large. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3707/04/2012

and gays would rather support a straight female singer than a openly gay/bi male one..

by Anonymousreply 3807/04/2012

Why can't the OP properly use a period?

I mean . Why. Why .. Why?.

by Anonymousreply 3907/04/2012

In the black community only flamboyant guys are gay. It's perfectly fine for a guy to call himself straight when he has one sexual encounter with a woman after 99 sexual enconters with men. Bisexual in this context means that a guy couldn't get it up for the woman to fulfill his 'one woman after 99 men' quota.

Masculine black guys are never gay (or accepted as gay) in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 4007/04/2012

So is Frank Ocean NOT rich, male and gay?

[quote]Not only are our races generally ignorant, disinterested and even hostile towards LGBT issues, but the institutions which define our races’ cultures are for whatever reason fundamentally and generally homophobic. The influence of the church, hip-hop and r&b music, and professional sports all lean to the homophobic side. Ballot measures on LGBT rights have been defeated before on racial lines, and before President Obama’s announcement on his changed support, African-American polling numbers were consistently the worst on the issue of same-sex marriage.

This is all true, and I agree with it. But the outrage (and accusations of racism) when someone who isn't black says the exact same thing is completely ridiculous.

[quote]Considering how important the entertainment industry is to black culture and minority culture in general in terms of role models,

And no one else sees that "importance" as a huge problem?

by Anonymousreply 4107/04/2012

you would think this thread would be more active

by Anonymousreply 4207/04/2012

He's on the down low. Not the same as bisexual. Men fuck him. He goes out in public with women for p.r. purposes.

by Anonymousreply 4307/04/2012

everybody should buy his CD when it comes out. please. show support for a guy who made a truly brave decision.

by Anonymousreply 4407/04/2012

Has Russell Simmons come out yet?

by Anonymousreply 4507/04/2012

Great to see the embracing response to Frank Ocean's bisexuality on Twitter today.

by Anonymousreply 4607/04/2012

Russell Simmons penned a really supportive article on Frank's announcement.

by Anonymousreply 4707/04/2012

Doesn't this diarrhea of the mouth black queen know an editor?

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2012

The use of BREAKING for stories that are 1) not important and 2) are fully reported is fucked up. "Breaking" news is important enough to report immediately even though the facts are not all in. "Breaking" does not mean "Look at this!"

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2012

Rihanna retweeted a nice message to him from solange. He is getting a lot of support. I hope you marys cop that album in 2 weeks. Put it on your to-do lists.

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2012

He shouldn't feel the need to get the fucking permission of his hip hop peers. Who the hell are Rihanna and Solange to tell him its 'okay'?

The fact is - heterosexuals should be coming to US for validation.

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2012

My opinion, I recognize that homophobia isn't color based but I think this is big because in the black community there seems like a great divide between heterosexuality and homosexuality the worlds don't mix as much as you might see in other races (lack of a better word). A lot of the reason being is because blacks can avoid (openly) gay ppl for the most part but this brings to the forefront someone who is well known, is a man, that is attracted to other men and for once our community is forced to acknowledge the LGBT community. Just my two cents. Hope I didn't offend.

Although, for some reason I doubt he'll date another man :/ but this is still big.

by Anonymousreply 5207/04/2012

"But the outrage (and accusations of racism) when someone who isn't black says the exact same thing is completely ridiculous."

To a point I agree with you.

But there are some white men in the community who want to bitch and moan about how the black community is racist and hates gays, but then don't want to be bothered to go the extra mile and supported out black entertainers.

You don't think OUT magazine could have phrased their article a little better and more supportive? I don't see that same cynicism in their Anderson coverage, or in talking about Kathy Griffin's letter. This guy is probably getting enough shit as it is, does he really need more from his so called "allies"?

by Anonymousreply 5307/04/2012

I feel bad for this guy...It's ridiculous how he is getting so much heat while Anderson Cooper got acceptance and praise.

by Anonymousreply 5407/04/2012

I see a lot of good comments about him comment out on Twitter and Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 5507/04/2012

He's had sex with women, but do we really think he will continue to be bisexual and not just gay?

by Anonymousreply 5607/04/2012

How is OUT being unsupportive?

[quote]but then don't want to be bothered to go the extra mile and supported out black entertainers.

But what does that even mean? It's so vague as to be useless. Are white gays expected to shill for this guy's records (or whatever he does - I really never heard of him until this week)? Should a parade be thrown? What?

[quote]I feel bad for this guy...It's ridiculous how he is getting so much heat while Anderson Cooper got acceptance and praise.

Heat from whom?

by Anonymousreply 5707/04/2012

[quote]Russell Simmons penned a really supportive article on Frank's announcement. [/quote]

He's like the gayest one of them all. Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 5807/04/2012

[quote]It's so vague as to be useless. Are white gays expected to shill for this guy's records (or whatever he does - I really never heard of him until this week

I'm white & had heard of him before and this week. You sound like a lazy racist.

by Anonymousreply 5907/04/2012

Oh god, you got me. If you haven't heard of a given black celeb, you're racist. I can't believe you figured it out. So ashamed etc etc.

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 6007/04/2012

Some people, like R57, love to point fingers but never have anything constructive to say about the matter.

by Anonymousreply 6107/04/2012

R57 is as stupid as they come.

by Anonymousreply 6207/04/2012

Somebody should tell Frank to start developing a sense of humor about himself. That letter was melodramatic.

by Anonymousreply 6307/04/2012

White gays? I think you are only thinking about certain type of stereotypical white gay, but there are many urban bisexual and gay white dudes who love hip hop. It's not 1987 ya know.

by Anonymousreply 6407/04/2012

I'd never heard of him until today. I do love his lyrics: "fuck me good, fuck me long, fuck me num..."

by Anonymousreply 6507/04/2012

[quote]Never heard of him.

You have now, baby.

[quote]Masculine black guys are never gay (or accepted as gay) in the black community.

And Rome wasn't built in a day but they got there.

by Anonymousreply 6607/04/2012

The bitchiness in this thread is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 6707/04/2012

Hip hop IS the mainstream now. ALL of it.

by Anonymousreply 6807/04/2012

I think the downlow thing is the bigger problem for the black community, not so much of him being masculine. He really put himself out there by saying his lover had a girlfriend.

What the haters dont realize is that he is one of many. I remember listening to Wendy Williams a couple of years ago and one day she just said fuck it and had downlow guys call into the show. It was call after call after call of guys who listened to her that were on the downlow. Guys with wives, girlfriends and kids, some of them irate, defending what they do on the side. This stuff is rampant and the black community needs to stop kidding itself.

Frank is a leader now and he has my full support. Honestly is the best thing.

by Anonymousreply 6907/04/2012

It's an exceptional career move. Because she's a well spoken singer-songwriter, he will benefit tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 7007/04/2012

Frank ocean just gained 150,000 followers on twitter over night

by Anonymousreply 7107/04/2012

We will see if his fans are truly accepting when his album comes out...

by Anonymousreply 7207/04/2012

He might have been trying to come out for a while. In his song We All Try he sings: " I believe that marriage isn't between a man and woman but between love and love."

by Anonymousreply 7307/04/2012

r72 I don't think his album will sell a lot either way. I haven't heard his new single 'Pyramids' on the radio yet. Actually him coming out may actually benefit him more than hurt his image. He's not a household name but he's huge on the indie scene.

by Anonymousreply 7407/04/2012

R60 Go back to masturbating over some fictious Gavin romance in the Anderson Cooper threads.

That cow couldn't even out himself. Had Andrew Sullivan and Kathy Griffin do his dirty work for him.

by Anonymousreply 7507/04/2012

I love this post of his

"hey chris,

your name is frank now..it’s a long story. your girlfriend is about to break up with you because of the long distance. it’s ok. & that job you’re working..well, you’re gonna have to work there for another year and some months.. & then you’re gonna get fired. you’re gonna work a couple more jobs after that too. nothing glamorous. kinkos and at&t if you really want the specifics. but you’re never gonna be homeless or starving. don’t worry you won’t fail and have to move back to new orleans either. you are gonna get your heartbroken though. twice. if it helps, the first one is gonna be worse than the second. contrary to how it feels, it won’t kill you. in fact it’s gonna help you write an album. yea, you finally finished an album. people like it man. you’re actually gonna write and record hundreds of songs. they won’t all be good and most ppl won’t think you’re talented at first, but you’re going to master your gifts. you’re going to become a lot stronger and wiser..even a little taller. be patient. i mean, you kind of have no choice. and be good to people. i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it. "

by Anonymousreply 7607/04/2012

[quote]That cow couldn't even out himself. Had Andrew Sullivan and Kathy Griffin do his dirty work for him

Those were his words, not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 7707/04/2012

Eric Benet "that ooh balls. Kudos 2u bruh!

Shanell of Young Money "There's nothing more freeing than self liberation. I salute you @frank_ocean #respectandlove

Solange "I salute you, brave soul. Independence Day."

Wynter Gordon "Proud of Frank Ocean and his new found independence. Hope we all find our own."

Jake & Papa "Fran Ocean makes music that shifts us all. He could b attracted 2 giraffes 4 all I care, artistry is artistry! Quit judging, thats God's job."

Raheem DeVaughn "His artistry is dope. Timeless music is not based on sexuality"

Case "This is historic, courageous and necessary"

JoJo "You just changed the game @frank_ocean. I respect you and love your work. The move you just made…so strong. sending all positive vibes."

by Anonymousreply 7807/04/2012

R61, people like him aren't interested in solutions, they're only interested in finding targets. He's the liberal only when it comes to gay issues, fuck everybody else type (which isn't uncommon)who always seem to point fingers at others. They always fail to see the hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 7907/04/2012

Fofor those who care . read his very revealing interview with new york times plus his mother sent out a message of support

by Anonymousreply 8007/04/2012

I love bisexual hip hop dudes. I am dating a hot latino dude with six children and he is only 29! He is friggin hot.

by Anonymousreply 8107/04/2012

He gets my support. It will be interesting how the Hip-Hop/R&B community will treat him. Like somebody up thread mentioned, there's a lot a LOT of black male entertainers that get down but nobody admits it.

by Anonymousreply 8207/04/2012

R60 - I called you a racist because in your world 'white gays' don't do black music or whatever. You're assuming white gays don't listen to black artists which is either depressing or totally untrue. I just didn't like your attitude basically.

by Anonymousreply 8307/04/2012

I think his father is former NOPD chief Warren Riley. Whatever, this guy is very cool!

by Anonymousreply 8407/04/2012

r67, this is kind of the perfect storm of topics that inspire DLers to post bitchy, clueless shit: bisexuality, black culture, hip-hop, Kids These Days, music made by people who are neither household names nor Broadway stars, earnestness, Tumblr, etc etc etc. God help us if he ever comes out as a bread-refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 8507/04/2012

R37, would you please post a link the the Tumblir page you quoted?

It was a great bit of writing and I would like to read more posts by its author.

TIA (and thanks for posting it here).

by Anonymousreply 8607/04/2012

Any relation to Billy Ocean?

by Anonymousreply 8707/04/2012

[quote]I love bisexual hip hop dudes. I am dating a hot latino dude with six children and he is only 29! He is friggin hot.

by Anonymousreply 8807/04/2012

He's a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 8907/04/2012

Why do you ask, R89, are you an exclusive top?

by Anonymousreply 9007/04/2012

and gays would rather support a straight female singer than an openly gay/bi male one.

by Anonymousreply 9107/04/2012

I'm a fan

by Anonymousreply 9207/04/2012

How has this thread gone five pages without any kind of a sensitive DL referendum on whether or not he's hot enough to be a worthwhile member of the LGBT community? I think he's cute as hell.

by Anonymousreply 9307/04/2012

lol r93, bitch. I thought we had reached a new day at DL when looks would not be important in determining how important said person's coming out is to the community

I asked earlier if hes a bottom, I like a thug in the streets and bitch in the sheets!

by Anonymousreply 9407/04/2012

He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 9507/04/2012

OK, I'd totally do him. We can keep this one on our side.

by Anonymousreply 9607/04/2012

I like the look at r95. He's also cute at r93, but that shirt isn't doing him any favors.

by Anonymousreply 9707/04/2012

Well now he has an army of queens beating down his door to style him

by Anonymousreply 9807/04/2012

Other artists that should come out now:

Lenny Kravtiz

Maxwell

Usher

by Anonymousreply 9907/04/2012

Guuurrrrllll! Give me the Cliffs Notes version of that.

by Anonymousreply 10007/04/2012

He's very cute. And, yes I know that's not the point.

Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 10107/04/2012

I love R93 and R94.

by Anonymousreply 10207/04/2012

r100 Usher tea on this thread

by Anonymousreply 10307/04/2012

Oh boy! I've followed him on twitter on and off and hes always going on about the "hoes". Like hes some major P.I.M.P. I hope the sistahs made him bag it coz this DL shit is fucking finishing off black girls. Put a rush order on those home test kits please

by Anonymousreply 10507/04/2012

FINALLY, a cute one *giggles*

by Anonymousreply 10607/04/2012

100+ comments and no one thinks it's interesting he's Kayne West's protege?

More ppl I'd love to see come out:

Eminem

Dre

Russell Simmons

Kanye

Usher

by Anonymousreply 10707/05/2012

R105 He is not "always going on about the hoes" or acting like a "major P.I.M.P." on twitter. What the hell are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 10807/05/2012

Obviously, some old fuck buddy has some photos or a video of them together.

You know it's true. And it's why God invented cameras.

by Anonymousreply 10907/05/2012

The letter he posted was written in December 2011 for his July 2012 album liner notes R109. Three songs in his new album use 'he' instead of 'she'. If he posted this b/c someone had blackmail material then he took way too long on this as he was working on his album for 18 months and wrote the liner notes 7 months ago.

He posted the liner notes two weeks before the album release b/c bloggers are mentioning the 'he' in his songs (he's been having listening parties for the album. Obviously he wanted to clarify the situation. The 'he's and the speculation would have become a distraction for two weeks leading to his album release along with bloggers likely focusing on the liner notes instead of the album in total had he waited to release those liner notes for the day the album was released. I'm guessing that the album would be a minor detail while people went on and on about his liner notes and bisexuality based on his lyrics had he waited to the release date.

Ocean is articulate, open, all about sharing and has never been a faker. Writing these liner notes and songs using the he pronoun was a courageous act given the fact that he's an r&b up and comer who's doing his first major album release.

by Anonymousreply 11007/05/2012

[quote]I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that Summer and the Summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence.. Until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless...

[quote]I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for them, know I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn’t admit the same...

[quote]He had to go back inside soon. I was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn’t tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I’d only imagined reciprocity for years

Someone please explain this to me. From the letter, it seems he had an unrequited crush on a male friend with a girlfriend who let him down easy, right? He didn't have a sexual relationship with this guy? Or is it obvious why a sucked at English lit?

by Anonymousreply 11107/05/2012

I wonder what his male friend/potential lover looked like. He must have been super hot for him to obsess over him for four years.

by Anonymousreply 11207/05/2012

i also wonder if he has done the deed with the guy he's in love with.

by Anonymousreply 11307/05/2012

R111 I would guess "sleep I would often share with him" is a euphemism for having sex.

His 'friend' was probably in denial convincing himself he was straight & just having sex occasionally with men. Someone wrote on Twitter a lot of DL AA men are like that, even if they have sex 99 times with a man & once with a woman they still call themselves straight because of that one time.

When Frank pushed all the emotional love talk is when he was rejected. Afterwards they became just friends. It was only 3 years later that the guy finally admitted his feelings for him.

The New York Times interview seems to indicate Frank is not over him even though he got involved with someone else (possibly female?) He says here:

“I’m getting away from both,” he said, using his hands to gesture at two imagined people in front of him, explaining his circumstance to the one he’s disappointed: “You’ll say anything to keep me around. I’ll say anything to keep this one around.”

Finding a way to detach, he admitted, is part self-preservation, part strategy, but he knows it’s better for him to make a clean break."

Earlier in the interview he talked about moving to New York or Toronto so it looks like he was trying to let go completely from this guy.

That's how I interpreted the whole thing anyways.

by Anonymousreply 11407/05/2012

I wonder if the guy in the letter is Kanye West. He said they were both 19 at the time, but that could be a red herring to throw us off.

by Anonymousreply 11507/05/2012

This is a good experiment to see if the Hip-hop/R&B community are ready to handle an openly gay/bi male artist...and we all will find out 2 weeks from now when we learn his album sales...

by Anonymousreply 11607/05/2012

Im wondering who the guy is too.

by Anonymousreply 11707/05/2012

I think the guy is Anderson Cooper

by Anonymousreply 11807/05/2012

He is so cute

by Anonymousreply 11907/05/2012

Yum

by Anonymousreply 12007/05/2012

This guy sort of stole Coop's shine.

by Anonymousreply 12107/05/2012

R111, If you read the profiles on him in the past he's mentioned the first time he fell in love and got his heart broken. Those interviews indicate that there was a relationship but now knowing it was a guy (Ocean didn't give pronouns in regards to his first love) one can guess that the guy strung him along b/c he couldn't face up to their relationship.

Now I wonder if the 'first love' was the guy he was hanging out with last year at Idris Elba's party.

by Anonymousreply 12207/05/2012

I thought his letter was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 12307/05/2012

oh pluzzz, frank looks like a younger Jamie Foxx. not my type.

by Anonymousreply 12407/05/2012

That photo pushes MY buttons, R124.

Foxxy lady!

by Anonymousreply 12507/05/2012

The tweets he's been getting is downright brutal. Stuff like: "u a fuckin batty puppet. U voluntarily get fucked in ya ass smh either colon cancer or aids will surface soon"

and this "you shoulda stayed on the down low you made the decision to expose yourself now deal with the consequences"

He's obviously been reading them as he tweeted: "Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day"

He probably need to shut down the social media for his sanity.

by Anonymousreply 12607/05/2012

Must be heartbreaking for him, r126. I wish people weren't such assholes.

by Anonymousreply 12707/05/2012

"I don’t know what happens now, and that’s alrite. I don’t have any secrets I need to keep anymore. I feel like a free man. If I listen closely…I can hear the sky falling too.”-Frank Ocean

by Anonymousreply 12807/05/2012

The response has been overwhelmingly positive. The people tweeting him homophobic comments are only trolling, looking for attention. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 12907/05/2012

I went to mediatakeout yesterday to see the reaction. I would say a quarter were ignorant, homophobic crap you would expect on such a site. A quarter were positive, good for him comments. At least half were live and let live, it's none of my buisness comments.

by Anonymousreply 13007/05/2012

He's so cute!

by Anonymousreply 13107/05/2012

He's still lighting up twitter. This coming out definitely bigger than Anderson Cooper's ... and he's only starting his career.

by Anonymousreply 13207/05/2012

R128, that's not his twitter. That's a fake.

R126, I have read only one negative tweet about him so far. Plus, he's added 40,000 followers since he came out. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 13307/05/2012

Thanks for the pic, I'd no idea he was so ugly and harsh looking.

by Anonymousreply 13407/05/2012

He's still twitting and seems hurt by some "fans'" reaction.

by Anonymousreply 13507/05/2012

This is Huge more getting more attention than coopers because .This is the first black artist to come out ..and more so before a major album release .

For those who have no ideal how his music sounds like .Listen to him singing the song he wrote for beyonce. I nearly cried because he is talking about his first love the guy.

by Anonymousreply 13607/05/2012

Another BI from Mediatakeout claims another rapper is coming out very soon and hints somewhere else on their site that there may be a connection to Frank.

I know this is from blind gossip but it is far easier to read and navigate than the other site.

by Anonymousreply 13707/05/2012

R135, this is the real Frank Ocean twitter account. This guy has gotten 500,000 plus followers in the time I have been reading this thread. He'll be over a million in an hour probably.

by Anonymousreply 13807/05/2012

R133 if true I'm happy to hear it. I did get the quotes directly off Twitter but maybe it was coming off the fake account you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 13907/05/2012

R111, the lyrics to his most famous song make me believe that it was indeed a sexual relationship:

"A tornado flew around my room before you came"--I believe this is a reference to sex.

"I just thought you were cute. That's why I kiss you."

"Yes, of course, I remember. How could I forget? How you feel. You know, you were my first time. A new feel."

RE, Lenny: I thought that it was well established that Lisa Bonet is bisexual and has had an on and off relationship with Marissa Tomei for many years. I don't find it shocking at all that Lenny is bisexual, as he was married to a bisexual and had a relationship with another. I don't think that makes him a down low brother, if he is honest with his partners, and I'd be willing to bet the bank that he is.

by Anonymousreply 14007/05/2012

his real twitter account is frank_ocean and he will have a million followers by tomorrow. He had 800,000 before he come out

by Anonymousreply 14107/05/2012

[QUOTE]"A tornado flew around my room before you came"--I believe this is a reference to sex.

Or maybe the guy just had mexican food for lunch

by Anonymousreply 14207/05/2012

Good for him! He's cute and I love that he's not afraid to be sentimental about his past love.

by Anonymousreply 14307/05/2012

so smart and hot

by Anonymousreply 14407/05/2012

So what's the situation down there? Sizemeat? Verificatia, please.

by Anonymousreply 14507/05/2012

Been listening to his music now for hours - wow! Fresh fantastic!

(Oh, and so hot!)

by Anonymousreply 14607/05/2012

So sad that these straight guys who used to listened to his music is going to stop because they claim they can't relate...

No wonder so many entertainers are in the closet..

by Anonymousreply 14707/05/2012

That's nice. I wish him the best.

His music is generically boring, though.

by Anonymousreply 14807/05/2012

Sad but not surprising, R147.

Growing up gay we soon develop an ability to see past the surface of a song's content (boy meets girl etc.) and respond to the emotional truth (person meets person). It's the same with movies: we can see relate to what the characters are going through whether they their lives specifically resemble ours or not.

It's called subtext and we soon learn to read it.

A lot of straight people don't, won't or can't do that.

by Anonymousreply 14907/06/2012

This guy has(had?) A huge huge indie following. The web has been buzzing about his album for 2 years now.

by Anonymousreply 15007/06/2012

EW named his mixtape Nostalgia, Ultra as one of the best albums of 2011. So even Debbie the Ew-reading soccer mom has heard of him, assuming she paid attention to her beloved magazine.

by Anonymousreply 15107/06/2012

I just got that mixtape and its really good , download it below

by Anonymousreply 15207/06/2012

Thanks for posting the NYT article Rbackthere.

by Anonymousreply 15307/06/2012

Random: He's being sued by the Eagles for using 'Hotel California' without permission.

by Anonymousreply 15407/06/2012

fuck me 'till I'm numb

by Anonymousreply 15507/06/2012

Is it possible to be sued by The Eagles even though he didn't make any money off of it? Hmmm..

by Anonymousreply 15607/06/2012

That is sadly so true R149. Not all obviously, but a lot of straight men especially are not used to looking at anything except from the perspective of being able to insert themselves into the situation of another straight male.

So much of pop culture and entertainment has been crafted around their perspective that they have never developed the ability move beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 15707/06/2012

His name is still getting mentioned around 500 times per second on twitter . Just insane people need to get over it and leave him alone

One a side note listen to his song We all try and strawberry swing amazing

by Anonymousreply 15807/06/2012

Wow! Busta Rymes who punched a gay man because he recognized him in a club ..just praise Frank and called him "impeccable"

by Anonymousreply 15907/06/2012

This is pretty huge. I can't believe a notable black male vocalist is being so vocal about his sexuality. From what I read he's signed to Def Jam, and was a driving force behind Jay Z and Kanye West's recent album.

Where can I hear clips from his new album?

by Anonymousreply 16007/06/2012

The poetic immediacy of his letter is refreshing. Some "coming out statements" are overly carefully packaged by the person's PR team.

by Anonymousreply 16107/06/2012

Oh lawd! I knew it was a matter of time before people started connecting the dots. They are saying that Kayne West has been quiet, too quiet about all Frank's coming out.

Oh yeah, and that hussy Beyawnce slapped a writing credit for herself one of Frank's original songs!

by Anonymousreply 16207/06/2012

r159, that was pretty crazy to me too. Even if he's just learned not to be a dick while cameras are rolling that's a big step up from the Busta of Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes.

Anyway, Frank is doing Jimmy Fallon on Monday and I'm goofily excited even though I have no reason to believe he's a great live performer.

by Anonymousreply 16307/06/2012

Frank's a great live performer and an interesting interview if the interviewer asks the right questions. If it's a fangirl interview he shuts down as heard on an old angie martinez interview.

by Anonymousreply 16407/06/2012

“The courage he displayed in his beautiful and eloquent letter was touching on many levels. Frank broke down a wall that should never have been built,” Def Jam president Joie Manda said. “The overwhelming show of support from his peers was awesome and inspiring. Island Def Jam is so proud to stand beside Frank Ocean — the artist and man — now and always.”

by Anonymousreply 16507/06/2012

R154 OLD news

by Anonymousreply 16607/06/2012

New single released today. Love it. Has a Stevie Wonder, summer-y feel.

by Anonymousreply 16707/06/2012

r164, doubt he'll get an interview but that's great to hear that he's good live - it'll be cool to see him backed by The Roots. I don't like the new one nearly as much as Pyramids but it still has my Random Internet Person Seal of Approval, I'm guessing that's what he'll perform.

by Anonymousreply 16807/06/2012

I bet you every publication is banging his door down for the first interview. Damn he's a smart dude. Hasn't said a word since he opened Pandora's Box with that post.

by Anonymousreply 16907/06/2012

R162, whenever the NY Times or some other newspapers writes about Frank Ocean and Beyonce COWROTE a song she released, I have to laugh. Who the hell believes the collaborating turd or her co writing I Miss You? Ridiculous. Makes the NYT and others look like a joke for continuing the fake propoganda.

by Anonymousreply 17007/06/2012

New York times Just said Frank Just refused an interview with them .It seems alot of major publications are trying to get an exclusive .

Anyway he will be on Jimmy fallon on monday .his first Tv Appearance

Ratings are going to shoot through the roof

by Anonymousreply 17107/06/2012

I like his new one and I like Pyramids.

He performed 'Forest Gump' at Coachella and it's also a good song. He used the word 'boy' in that song but it's still a relatable song to straights, gays, anyone I would think.

One of the things I like about his music is it's truthfulness and honesty. Ocean's stated in his interviews that his songs come from his 'experiences' and that they are honest and truthful. In fact, that's one of the tenants of Odd Future who say that they sing about their life/experiences. That's why the following statement in the recent NYTimes article seems so odd, since why would Frank have to worry about the material he picks now:

"Jerry Boulding, urban editor for All Access, a radio trade publication, predicted urban program directors would still play Mr. Ocean’s songs if he maintained the quality of his previous work. “It becomes a question of talent — he obviously is talented,” Mr. Boulding said. “But he is going to have to pick his material well, because some of the things he sang about before he came out obviously won’t have the same meaning now.” "

by Anonymousreply 17207/07/2012

Ughhh Dl's always talking about People who are on the Dl or closet and when somebody ,Comes out nobody even cares here.This thread should be more active

by Anonymousreply 17307/07/2012

he Just tweeted

im not a victim. im grown. life's way harder for a lot of people. i still love everyone of ya'll. no condescension.

by Anonymousreply 17407/07/2012

I really like his sexy MGMT cover.

by Anonymousreply 17507/07/2012

His tour across american Just sold out. I hope its not homophobes that have bought tickets to go chante anti gay slurs at him in concert

by Anonymousreply 17607/07/2012

I honestly think the album will do very well. I'm interested to see how his sexuality affects his career in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 17707/07/2012

Frank is a hero. Anderson remains a coward.

by Anonymousreply 17807/07/2012

What Ocean did is fantastic, but how does it make AC a coward?

by Anonymousreply 17907/07/2012

[quote]I wonder how long it will be before Frank Oceans has a YT boyfriend, a la Don Lemons and Lee Daniels. You know it's coming! - Jill Scott - keeping it real for you bitches

LOL

by Anonymousreply 18007/07/2012

Songs For Women. Sounds like a hidden message behind these lyrics

by Anonymousreply 18107/07/2012

I dont think he was running away from the issue . i mean when you listen to his music your realize that he was alluding to it all along

by Anonymousreply 18207/07/2012

I want to hear the mastered version of this "Forrest Gump" song.

by Anonymousreply 18307/08/2012

make sure you tune in to watch him on jimmy fallon tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 18407/08/2012

I'm gonna watch the shit out of him on Jimmy Fallon and the last time I made a point of seeing that show was when I wanted to check out The Roots' tribute to MCA.

by Anonymousreply 18507/08/2012

R176 I'm sure his tour sold out before he came out. He has (or had) a strong following.

Just finished hearing "Sweet Life" what a great R'n'B track. Hopefully he'll be the one to bring real R'n'B back.

by Anonymousreply 18607/08/2012

R186 Hope so .We try us another beautiful track have you got the nostalgia ultra mixtape.its really better than alot of people's discographies

by Anonymousreply 18707/08/2012

r16, that incident was very suspect then, and now even more-so because Frank is out the closet.

Frank started their fight by calling Chris Brown Ike Turner when Chris was only trying to compliment him. Later, Frank was on his way to a studio to meet Chris when he was chased down by some thugs. But why would he go to meet up with someone who just cursed him out on Twitter? Other people also said the whole altercation was weird at the time that it happened. Chris, who released his album last week, has remained silent on Frank.

I suspect a downlow plot, or maybe I just like imagining them having rough trade in a dark music studio!

by Anonymousreply 18807/08/2012

The Chris Brown, Tyler the Creator and Frank Ocean beef is just typical Chris Brown. CB flew off the handle b/c his compliment to Frank was rubbed in his face and treated badly. I think it was Tyler who started it with Chris and Frank got led into the stupid thing.

It is amusing to think that Chris/Frank Ocean hooked up especially since in Rihanna's latest interview (Harper’s Bazaar) she described her falling in love experience in a very similar way to Frank Ocean's letter.

“When I was in love, I fell so hard...The way it made me feel was priceless. And in a blink of an eye my whole life changed. Everything that I knew was different. I never thought I’d feel that pain in my life. I’m afraid of feeling that again.”

by Anonymousreply 18907/08/2012

Wow a guy that no one heard of, and even less people care about, came out.

by Anonymousreply 19007/09/2012

You cared enough to click on this thread and comment, R190.

Fucking hater

by Anonymousreply 19107/09/2012

r190 GTFOH . Do you know his coming out is probably the most important since ellen

by Anonymousreply 19207/09/2012

I always said that the first major male rappers to come out would be bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 19307/09/2012

Truth is he never gave himself a label..He just said he has loved women in the past.but his real true love was a man and that man just patted him on the back and said he didnt even love him lol

by Anonymousreply 19407/09/2012

[quote]You cared enough to click on this thread and comment, [R190].

Fucking hater

by Anonymousreply 19507/09/2012

R194, he's bisexual or gay. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 19607/09/2012

It's true that he didn't label his sexuality as gay, bi or queer. Presumably he's one of those but then again he might be one of those 'no labels' people. The beautiful thing was describing the universal first love experience and heartbreak.

If one listens to his interviews he describes falling in love with someone who didn't give back and then having someone he loved who tried used whatever words to keep him around. Implying that he didn't love them back as strongly (as his male 'friend' did to him). Apparently he has dated women in college and beyond after his first love experience when he was 19.

I tend to think that Novacane was about a relationship he was in with a woman where he felt numb and couldn't love her back as strongly (like he described happening to him with someone who loved him and he didn't love enough). I'd guess one could describe him relationship wise as bisexual but he didn't label himself in his letter so I understand what people have said regarding the fact Frank didn't label himself either way but obviously the guy is one of us (GBiQ) if he could fall in love with another man.

by Anonymousreply 19707/09/2012

Channel Orange will be rush released tonight @ 12 am

by Anonymousreply 19807/09/2012

I think the album was supposed to be released tuesday regardless. The physical album was pushed back a week.

Everything has been planned out..

by Anonymousreply 19907/10/2012

How is his album doing in the charts? Do any of you like the songs?

by Anonymousreply 20007/10/2012

I do think this is a positive development for the bi/queer/pansexual/no-labels movement and will help a lot of people. So, good on him.

In terms of comparing it to the AC coming out, I don't know. As a gay man I'n not as emotionally attached to the whole bi/queer/pansexual/no-labels movement. There's some ridiculous, unexplainable visceral reaction to when some guy comes out as gay that I don't get when someone comes out as bi/queer/pansexual/no-labels. I'm sure it harkens all the way back to being a kid and longing to see someone like me represented in popular media and to not feel so isolated.

by Anonymousreply 20107/10/2012

Digitally.. Frank Ocean's new album "Channel Orange" is #1 in 12 countries,#1 pop album on itunes and is trending on twitter since yesterday..

his album is not expected to be a hit and will have low sales next week but he might get Grammy nominations...

by Anonymousreply 20207/10/2012

I know what you mean, r201. As a bi person I felt this overwelming feeling reading his story that I haven't felt when gay people have come out, even if I am still happy for them. I agree, it must have something to do with finally seeing your experience of love and lust reflected in popular culture. And the bisexual and gay experience of that are very different in many respects I think.

Just bought his album off itunes and I really like it. It's quite experimental-ish musically. The later tracks are especially catchy and interesting. In terms of lyrics the song Bad Religion is the most explicit of all the tracks with regards to same sex love. He must have made a deliberate choice to sing that one on Jimmy Fallon. He could have easily sung one of the others if he wanted to call less attention to the whole furor. Good on him for going all in.

by Anonymousreply 20307/10/2012

You can listen to the album on his tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 20407/10/2012

[quote]It is amusing to think that Chris/Frank Ocean hooked up especially since in Rihanna's latest interview (Harper’s Bazaar) she described her falling in love experience in a very similar way to Frank Ocean's letter.

You see, r189....

by Anonymousreply 20507/10/2012

I wasn't going to waste a cent on his album just because he'd come out (just like I never with Adam Lambert or others who's music did nothing for me), but on its own merits, this album is a stunning effort. Probably the best debut Soul-R&B album by a male artist since D'Angelo's 'Voodoo" back in 1995. I'm buying his music because its good. So refreshing after being constantly oppressed by Chris Brown and Trey Songz on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 20607/10/2012

Currently streaming it and loving it so far .Will be buying it

by Anonymousreply 20707/10/2012

Help an eldergay know how to do that, R204 and R207, please. I can get to the paid part, but I plan on buying the CD (I know) so I don't want that.

by Anonymousreply 20807/10/2012

never mind...scrolled down..rolling eyes at myself.

by Anonymousreply 20907/10/2012

I keep reading the thread title as "Barney Frank Confirms Bisexuality in Open Letter".

by Anonymousreply 21007/10/2012

R209 well done eldergay

by Anonymousreply 21107/11/2012

Bubble, lubble, lubble lipton

Bubble with a happy beat

Bomp bomp

Joy's what it's all about

Bubble with a happy beat

A simulated Harlem treat

by Anonymousreply 21207/11/2012

Channel Orange" set to open with 110-125k

The week’s big story is controversial Def Jam/IDJ R&B hyphenate Frank Ocean, a member of the L.A.-based hip-hop collective Odd Future, who will open with a very impressive 110-125k as an iTunes exclusive for his major label bow, Channel, Orange.

by Anonymousreply 21307/11/2012

Go frank

by Anonymousreply 21407/12/2012

[quote]I wasn't going to waste a cent on his album just because he'd come out (just like I never with Adam Lambert or others who's music did nothing for me), but on its own merits, this album is a stunning effort. Probably the best debut Soul-R&B album by a male artist since D'Angelo's 'Voodoo" back in 1995. I'm buying his music because its good. So refreshing after being constantly oppressed by Chris Brown and Trey Songz on the radio.

I was going to buy the album expressly as a sign of support. As others have said, in several ways this is a pivotal coming out: By someone who could easily hide, who is at the start of his career, in an especially misogynist and homophobic genre.

I hope this and Obama's endorsement of gay marriage go a long way to increase tolerance and acceptance in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 21507/12/2012

true

by Anonymousreply 21607/12/2012

did you see folks comparing frank ocean to jerry sandusky ignorant self hating fucks

by Anonymousreply 21707/12/2012

9.5 from Pitchfork, not too fucking shabby

by Anonymousreply 21807/12/2012

what is pitch fork? , is that like a big deal

by Anonymousreply 21907/13/2012

r219, it's a really popular and influential indie music website

by Anonymousreply 22007/13/2012

i guess that means he has grammy nomms in lock .

Doest that mean that Frank ocean overnight Just became the most high profile black out celebrity ??

by Anonymousreply 22107/14/2012

The guy he is alluding to is def not Kanye West. In Forrest Gump he descibes him as physically strong. Kanye is a little boy compared to Frank.

No offence to Kanye but I can't imagine anyone falling that hard for him, esp someone like Frank.

by Anonymousreply 22207/14/2012

Okay, come on people, where's the goss?

I'm basically going with Pharell Williams and Diplo. Bottom line is Kanye isn't cool enough for Frank and Franks crew are all skaters doing their own thing. When you read about Odd Future, they are a bunch of misfits who don't try and impress anyone. The only two people currently in this industry that is cool are Diplo and Pharell-who are also skaters.

But if rumours are true re this is a rapper who is older, I'm going to throw The Game in the mix. Why? Because he is big and strong. Has dodged DL rumours for years and pointedly got involved in that whole Chris Brown/Frank Ocean/Tyler shiz on twitter. I remember think surely The Game should not be following a bunch of kids on twitter?

Either way its def NOT stupid boy Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 22307/15/2012

He actually says "buff and strong" in the song.

r223 thats an interesting guess, Ive always thought Game was so sexy. The Game is a fan of Frank's music and also sampled his song. But the guy Frank describes is gentle, won't even "hurt a beetle", and that is definitely not The Game, who beats people down regularly. He's a cool guy though lol

I think all these guys are going to fall out the closet one day though. You can see all their misplaced sexual tension in their Twitter fights, like Chris Brown and Raz B.

by Anonymousreply 22407/15/2012

Since when was Pharell "buff and strong"? Others think it may be Chris Brown or Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 22507/15/2012

Kayne, with those hot dogs on the back of his neck? I dont think so!

Whoever it was must be some seriously fine trade to make Frank record songs about him and tell the world he was in love with him. I dont think its anyone famous.

by Anonymousreply 22607/15/2012

I think it is Kanye because Frank used to be his protegee and he is the only one who didn't publicly acknowledged frank's coming out out//also it just seems strange that all of a sudden he's is being pictured with Kim K..

by Anonymousreply 22707/15/2012

He debuted at number 2 on the uk chart .Missed the top spot by 3,000 copies whats more impressive is that this was a digital only release

Also the guy he said he fell inlove with is also his age

by Anonymousreply 22807/15/2012

I don't think it's Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 22907/15/2012

What makes you guys think it's someone famous anyway? Frank seems like a really grounded guy, and I can't see him falling in love with anyone who wasn't also pretty grounded themselves. That eliminates most celebrities.

Oh, and r219, Pitchfork is notorious for giving very harsh reviews. So a 9.5 is a pretty big deal.

by Anonymousreply 23007/15/2012

Yeah, that's the same score they gave to their #1 album from last year/2011 Best New Artist Grammy winner Bon Iver

by Anonymousreply 23107/15/2012

Chris Brown isn't buff.

by Anonymousreply 23207/15/2012

Doubt the guy he fell in love with was famous. It happened the year he arrived in LA. He was working kinkos or some other bland job. Would have been some guy he met when he moved to town not someone already in the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 23307/16/2012

R227

Do you even know anything about Frank? If you did you would realize that it is media BS that he was the protege of Kanye. Kanye wishes! What happened was Tyler was already doing stuff with Jay Z and Kanye,then THEY heard of Frank then thought he was amazing and Frank wrote for THEM! Kanye has not been anywhere Oceans album, what kind of a mentor is that?? It's insulting to Ocean to put him down like that. Jay Z and Kanye always jump on the bandwagon of hot artists after everyone underground knows about them and because they are famous, they give the artist attention and then everyone starts to make up shit that those two copycats discovered these artists!

Odd Future have made their own hype and luck, not from Kanye or Jay Z. At least give them props for making it on their own via making sure their stuff is available for free online, like Frank did with his first non studio album.

Also Kanye is a short ass who isn't in the least buff. Frank is 6foot and towers over him. Also, I don't think of Kanye as a Forrest Gump character. At all.

R230

Like is said, if the rumours on media takeout are true-they claim it's an older famous rapper, then those were my guesses but I completely agree about how grounded Frank and Odd Future are. Tyler may swear and say offensive stuff but through that crap is a very grounded intelligent man who is just having fun with this industry he knows "isn't real"

R225

Kanye and Brown are not someone I would call buff and strong, those shrimps but I agree neither is Pharell which is why I went with The Game, despite the fact that Pharell personality and style wise is much, much closer to Frank and the Odd Future guys then commercial and fame hungry Brown and Kanye.

R224

Lol. I literally after I posted that just read a story about The Game beating the shit out of some rapper. Geez. Yep, not him. The Game would crush a beetle!

I do think Mediatakeout are shit stirring but again if their is an inkling of truth, we are looking for someone big and strong but really gentle. Mmm.....this makes me think back to my days when I was obsessed with conscious hip hop, Mos Def days etc but that was a long time again and I don't know that scene so much but I would think we are looking at rappers around that genre of Hip Hip instead of the commercial, fame hungry and poppy end. If the rumors are true.

by Anonymousreply 23407/16/2012

Also, Frank is doing astonishingly well but he has the talent to back it up. I just love his album and haven't felt this way about soul in years. Years.

Anyway, it looks like it's really taking it's toll on him. There were some pap photos of him in Vancouver today and he just looked pissed. Then a writer did a review of his show and was really sly. He was saying that Frank was too awkward and too shy. That he only spoke to say Thank You and mention he had a really crazy week.

I know a lot of people don't research nor bother to find out about an artist when they bitch about them but if they bothered to spend 5 mins on google, they will see what a really shy and humble guy he is. And how this was embarrassingly not a publicity stunt. That goes against everything he believes in and I think it's hit him hard.

On his own tumblr-a really good guide because it's very revealing-a fan asks him where he sees himself in the future and Frank replies 'to be respected and revered in my music, be in love with someone and have some kids with a nice home'. Lol the guy has been dropping hints about his bisexuality for ages-this was a really old post-but anyway, I'm moving from my point, what I am saying is that to me doesn't sound like a Jay Z or Kanye kind of person who lives for publicity and fame. It sounds like something me or my friends would say but directed to our own industry.

People don't realize how much bigger he could've been. Apparently his manager was saying that he was turning down last year so many huge artists who wanted to work with him all the time, as well as media profiles.

On his tumblr he was talking about a shoot he did for Italian Arena and how he argued with the stylist about what he should wear and he won. I was like this is one strong personality. With integrity to boot!

by Anonymousreply 23507/16/2012

He cd may have to grow on me. Seems a little one note, but I really want to support him, and live seeing that he's doing well.

by Anonymousreply 23607/16/2012

r234, well if the rumors specified it was an older rapper then they have to be false because like r228 said, Frank himself wrote in his letter that they were both 19 when they met. I don't think he would lie about that in such a sincere letter. And he could have omitted that personal detail if he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 23707/16/2012

Wow i guess that means that he has got those grammy noms on lock .Only problem is they are probably going to be treating him like an R&b artist when he is not . his music is far from R&b though it does have a little r&b influence

also the Paps were stalking him in toronto yesterday and cnn did a feature about him.He is really high profile now

by Anonymousreply 23807/16/2012

frank being stalked by the paps in toronto yesterday

by Anonymousreply 23907/16/2012

Is Frank Ocean mean? He posted a note on his Tumblr dissing his new bandwagon fans. Not cool.

by Anonymousreply 24007/16/2012

r240 Frank made it pretty obvious in that exchange with Chris Brown that he is a bitchy queen. Some of us just cant help it lol

But really, it seems like Frank has trouble accepting praise that is given to him publicly. He seems a little paranoid about people being shady and having ulterior motives behind complimenting him. All very understandable.

by Anonymousreply 24107/16/2012

I really like the album, and will be buying it tomorrow. Though, I don't it's THAT astonishing, and Frank's voice does tend to go in and out.

On prince.org (which has pretty good and passionate non-Prince music forums), the whole Frank Ocean thing has become a flame war. Sad.

100,000-120,000 downloads in this day and age, the first week? Can we say that his coming out/love story actually helped to a large degree?

by Anonymousreply 24207/16/2012

[R240] - think you misread that post. He was taking the piss out of his old fans who have been bitching about how popular he is now.

by Anonymousreply 24307/16/2012

Ne-Yo of all people gives his view on Frank Ocean's coming out.

by Anonymousreply 24407/16/2012

How is this dissing?

"I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH LIKING THINGS THAT OTHER PEOPLE LIKE. SOLIDARITY CAN BE COOL. I’M NOT JUDGING YOU. YOU’RE STILL AN INDIVIDUAL. I’LL EVEN CALL YOU ‘INDIE’ IF THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER."

And I didn't realise he said they were both 19. Of course Frank wouldn't lie as there would be no point too. Thank god, I really didn't want it to be any of those horrible famewhore rappers around at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 24507/17/2012

Channel Orange is such a back-loaded album. I like Thinkin Bout You but on first listen I was pretty disappointed until it hit Pyramids which, like, if he ever makes a whole record that sounds like that I'll buy three copies. I've come to really enjoy everything from Super Rich Kids on, though. I thought Forrest Gump was a disaster the first time I heard it but now I love it despite myself.

by Anonymousreply 24607/17/2012

r80

I've been looking for that link. From what I can tell, he is seeing this 'hot' la singer/actress. She's very hot, like seriously stripper body and model face but has this whole trendy skatey thing going. Her name is alycya-(?) Bellamay...dad is a singer and she basically appears to be a big time scenester-went out with Chris Brown etc.

Anyway from her tweets and posts,she seems really really, like in love and obsessed with him, so I'm guessing really well that she must be the one he is trying to get away from but doesn't love. And other person in his life-I bet it's still that guy-is who is trying to get away from but needs him in his life.

It's so obvious she won't quite him as they've been hanging out since Novacane-she was in his video-but he told Angie later in 2011 that he was single but that he could not be if he wanted to.

Also, she's the kind of girl who wants what she wants and won't quit. That happens to be Frank but I'm sorry. If a guy I am seeing pens his debut studio album based on a guy who was the first person he was ever in love with 4 years ago and has songs laced about their time together....I'd be pretty, well, upset because it's so obvious if this guy ever changed his mind...Frank would be there in a minute.

Anyway, he'll break it off with her sooner or later, especially as he wants to move away and especially in NY, there are much hotter cooler gays guys, then LA, so he'll get more male relationship experience which I don't think he has very much at all.

But hey I don't know LA but from what I see there are lots of hot gay guys in LA but it's all very WEHO centered and quite inauthentic. Whereas in NY it's not centered only around the Village plus there are plenty of cute hip skatey gay guys doing their own thing with authenticity in music or film.

by Anonymousreply 24707/18/2012

Channel Orange is $2.99 on amazon right now.

by Anonymousreply 24807/18/2012

So, the coming out helped his career? I don't think he'd have made such a splash inEurope if he was just another soul singer.

by Anonymousreply 24907/18/2012

He just made a reference to Liberace on Twitter. What could that mean?

by Anonymousreply 25007/18/2012

r248 Great to see amazon supporting him

His album Just become the most critically acclaimed album of the last two years or 3 .. plus i havent seen this many celebrities talk about an album before.Like now a this point i will be surprised if a celeb hasnt talked about him yet.Its Just astounding

by Anonymousreply 25107/19/2012

the guy who host's abc's duets in an interview So what’s your take on Frank Ocean coming out? Some people say that him going public with his sexuality around the same time of his new album coming out, might just be a ploy for album sales. Do you agree with that?

I think Frank’s Ocean is such a talented musician, singer and songwriter. I have been a fan of his for a long time. I think the Hip-Hop community needed a bit of shaking up, and needs to become more real, and Frank Ocean is bringing that right now. You can’t be mad at him for that.

When I arrived to John Legend’s party, when I first walked in I saw Frank Ocean sitting by himself, all solo dolo, I could tell that he was probably feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders after just coming out in the public the day before. I went up to him and I was like, “man I’m so proud of you. I don’t know if you realize it but you are a hero to so many people.” I had brought a bottle of sake with me to the party so after we talked a little bit and I gave him some encouragement I was like “let’s have a drink,” and we did.

I’m just so happy that he is able to be feel free now to express and just be the person that he is his.

by Anonymousreply 25207/19/2012

R247, your time frame is off. Ocean was working on Channel Orange in the Spring 2011. He did the Novacane vid last year, released in Summer 2011 and that's when he hooked up with Alycia whoever. He stated in his letter to himself (June 2011) that he had two heartbreaks in the past five years (so he fell in love after the first love boyfriend).

The letter to himself was from last summer but the chick he's supposedly seeing came after those two relationships (the two people who broke his heart; one he tried to keep around, one who tried to keep him around).

Frank stated in the letter to himself that the two people were influential in writing Channel Orange. The girl he's supposedly seeing happened after those two relationships.

Even though the album was released this year, he worked on it over a year ago. I don't take the album to mean he's still seeking the first love. He was fucking around last year with other people so it wasn't like he was still hung up on the guy he mentions as a first love. I wouldn't assume anything about the relationship with this current girl since neither talk about what's going on between them. The only thing that's clear is that she's not the 2nd heartbreak or the 2nd relationship he mentions (in the NYTimes) influencing Channel Orange since they would have hooked up after the writing of the album.

by Anonymousreply 25307/19/2012

[quote]When I arrived to John Legend’s party

And what kind of party was this???

by Anonymousreply 25407/19/2012

r254 duets party?? i dont know i just lifted the interview and pasted it here

by Anonymousreply 25507/20/2012

He finally opens up about the issue in Guardian magazine

by Anonymousreply 25607/20/2012

emmm why is this thread empty

by Anonymousreply 25707/20/2012

And the mystique continues

by Anonymousreply 25807/21/2012

I'm only a casual fan but I find his coming-out kind of affecting because it seems so normal - like, making a weepy Tumblr post to clarify the issue after people begin to speculate about your sexuality is just like something a non-mildly famous young adult might do, and coming out in a reasonable timeframe, on your own terms because it's the right thing to do for gay kids and your own mental health is exactly what you'd expect any normal person to do upon becoming famous even as it's not really what ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 25907/21/2012

R259 very true...thats what makes him so relatable

In other news target seems like its going to now carry his album

by Anonymousreply 26007/22/2012

r252

He DOES have the weight on his shoulders! It still seems to shock me how many black men (on twitter) are comparing him to that peodophile from Penn State. I really don't get it. WTF is wrong with some people?? I'm black but man, sometimes I really don't get WTF is going on in some black people's head. It's like the bible is a frigging book-get over it.

r253

I wasn't nesc going by the album but the interview he did in NY Times which didn't clarify a time frame-I read it as he was saying that at the moment there are 2 people in his life he needs to get away from, which is why he wants to move away to Toronto or NY. To get a clean break....

TBH God knows with Frank. I think he is one of the first mainstreamy singers who is actually intelligent and complex-so god knows what is going on with his life..

But the girl being a factor has waned on me....I'm now thinking Drake-he keeps on saying stuff to keep him-and I think Tyler is the lost love.....

Dunno....

by Anonymousreply 26107/24/2012

r257

Erm because he is black?? Lol, how many threas about black people do you see on DL!

by Anonymousreply 26207/24/2012

Re: NY Times interview. Frank's statements about those two loves had to do with their importance to the album. It matches what he wrote last summer regarding having two major loves who were the driving force for the album. That was the past. That's not about his current feelings.

Besides, I wouldn't take the NY Times interview that deeply. Music writers who talk about Frank tend to write the same 'deep', "he's so serious", 'oh the angst' type of pieces, even when he's saying very little. They seem to project what they think he means (e.g. this springs Spin Magazine). Jon C. from NY Times loves going over the top, pulpy, sacharrine like that on his pieces for certain artists.

by Anonymousreply 26307/24/2012

I just bought the album on Amazon.

Support openly G&L& bi artists!

by Anonymousreply 26407/24/2012

I always loved Billy Ocean, had no idea he's bi. ...Caribbean Queen indeed.

by Anonymousreply 26507/24/2012

R264 Wrong ocean .

by Anonymousreply 26607/28/2012

lmfao@r265!

by Anonymousreply 26707/28/2012

the gossip now is that he is moving to Toronto to be closer to DRAKE...

by Anonymousreply 26807/28/2012

yeah i heard that and doubt it..sandra rose is just being messy

by Anonymousreply 26907/28/2012

I got the album yesterday and I've listened to it twice. It's really gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 27007/29/2012

Anybody seen him on tour yet?

by Anonymousreply 27107/30/2012

Wait, he's with a woman now? That's disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 27207/30/2012

r272 how is that disappointing ?

by Anonymousreply 27307/30/2012

I like the album too. Its not something I would listen to frequently, but its a really well put together album. I hope he wins a Grammy or at least gets some noms. He is very musically gifted.

by Anonymousreply 27407/30/2012

Obviously everyone has heard this?

"The singer who recently made an unprecedented move by coming out as a gay man in Hip Hop, is being singled out by an anonymous message board source, (memorialized by GossipJacker) as the reason behind the break-up of a marriage between one music producer and his wife. Allegedly, Frank Ocean’s secret love affair with Christopher “Trickey” Stewart is what led to the destruction of the producer’s marriage to wife, Makita. Don’t believe me.. Ask Tyler The Creator.

Here’s what a was alleged:

“I know about what goes on behind the scenes cause I work as an engineer in recording studios. I worked w/ Frank & I know the people that hang in his circle real well. Before Frank revealed that he was bisexual he was kinda in the closet. He was a mouthpiece for a lot of closeted married and single bicurious/bisexual men in the industry. A lot of these dudes have a sexual fetish for being serviced by other men. In the very very beginning Frank kinda passed as a straight dude so he didn’t arise any suspicion when he was always seen staying late or spending the night with certain dudes that he kicked it with all the time.

The open secret in small industry circles is his affair with his married producer Trickey Stewart. He was good friends with the wife Makita however he betrayed her by sleeping with her husband. the most scandalous is how he serviced Trickey in the living room on their sofa while she was right upstairs sound asleep. he did this a lot after studio sessions until she discovered what was going on Frank is a nice eccentric young man however he can’t really be trusted cause he ruins every friendship he has with women. He is addicted to the thrill of pursuing men who are in heterosexual relationships. a lot of his female friends fell for his charm, trusted him as a friend only to get burned when they discovered he tried to make a pass at their men behind their back. It’s awful when he is in a relationship with a woman cause they don’t know whether the guy’s he kick it with all the time are just friends or a sidepiece. All his relationships w/ women don’t last long at all.”

Is Frank Ocean pushing for Christopher “Trickey” Stewart to come out the closet? I don’t know, but next time I see ASAP Rocky, I’ll ask him."

It's from diaryofahollywoodstreetking

Anyway I believe it....kinda explains his 'unrequited love' situations...but the comments...like really? Where are these people found?? And I wish they would stop embarrassing the black race! Like really...do African Americans really still think that about gay men? Sheez, talk about living in the 19th century!

by Anonymousreply 27508/01/2012

I should also add that I think it also has to do with the people he hangs around with. Not many are out gay men...I think this will change now that he has come out.

by Anonymousreply 27608/01/2012

R273 Because I was under the impression that he was gay, not bi. But this is obviously great for bi visibility.

by Anonymousreply 27708/01/2012

He is bisexual. This dude is great. He is the first masculine male non-heterosexual Black celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 27808/01/2012

[quote]The open secret in small industry circles is his affair with his married producer Trickey Stewart. He was good friends with the wife Makita however he betrayed her by sleeping with her husband. the most scandalous is how he serviced Trickey in the living room on their sofa while she was right upstairs sound asleep. he did this a lot after studio sessions until she discovered what was going on Frank is a nice eccentric young man however he can’t really be trusted cause he ruins every friendship he has with women. He is addicted to the thrill of pursuing men who are in heterosexual relationships. a lot of his female friends fell for his charm, trusted him as a friend only to get burned when they discovered he tried to make a pass at their men behind their back. It’s awful when he is in a relationship with a woman cause they don’t know whether the guy’s he kick it with all the time are just friends or a sidepiece. All his relationships w/ women don’t last long at all.”

He sounds even gayer after reading this.

by Anonymousreply 27908/01/2012

I hate it when papers/blogs use the words 'gay' and 'bisexual' interchangeably when describing a bisexual man. Seriously, it's not the same thing. Is it really so hard to consistently refer to the man as bisexual? It just makes things needlessly confusing when you find out later on that the man is currently in a relationship with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 28008/01/2012

I agree. The media are ignorant about bisexuality for the most part. However, I do like the way much of the media just simply referred to his disclosure as merely "he fell in love with another man," instead of calling it a specific sexual orientation. I like the focus on real experience and individual expression instead of some generic, broad identity that the person may not actually embrace.

by Anonymousreply 28108/01/2012

He's never said he's bisexual though, and he's never said that he has a girlfriend. There are a few little "clues" that he might be dating that woman, but nothing conclusive.

by Anonymousreply 28208/01/2012

but why its okay to say he is bisexual is because he was asked by dream humpton if it was okay if she referred to his sexual orientation as bisexual in a open letter she wrote and he said he was fine with that label.

that that gossip about him recking that marriage is false..its was created by this idiot going across boards to spill that nonsense and has been debunked

by Anonymousreply 28308/01/2012

Personally I don't think the media should be calling him bisexual unless he's said in public that that's how he identifies.

by Anonymousreply 28408/01/2012

hmm

by Anonymousreply 28508/02/2012

I saw him at Lollapalooza yesterday. He was very good and the crowd was absolutely rabid - straight girls and aggro 17-year-old Odd Future fans still love him

by Anonymousreply 28608/05/2012

r286 nice ..

videos from lollapalooza.he is fantastic live ..even better than his recordings i should say

by Anonymousreply 28708/05/2012

thanks

by Anonymousreply 28808/08/2012

'

by Anonymousreply 28908/08/2012

A fucking big douche. Talk about sabotaging your own career. Canceling an opening slot for coldplay stadium tour is the dumbest thing a new artist can ever do .FUCK HIM.

by Anonymousreply 29008/15/2012

How many albums sold thus far?

by Anonymousreply 29108/16/2012

over 300,000 worldwide . with no hit single , no video and no promo. something almost unheard of

by Anonymousreply 29208/17/2012

But

by Anonymousreply 29308/17/2012

R290

Firstly get a grip on yourself and a life.

Secondly, it's so frigging obvious he wanted to put a brake on all this crazy publicity and doing the Coldplay thing would've gotten him even bigger, which if you claim to like him, you will realize is his idea of hell.

Thirdly, I think politics was involved. The Jay Z et entourage kind. It was obvious that he got the gig through his small involvement with those guys and at the time, who would say no? But once it sinks in, you are making a deal with the devil. That crew are so souless, calculating and publicity obsessed that you realize it isn't worth your sanity to take big favors from them.

by Anonymousreply 29408/25/2012

R284

Oh shut up. I can't stand sanctimonious gay nazi's. I hope he NEVER says it even though he has been going on and on and on about loving men since his Lonny Breaux years, like 4 years ago but what the hell, why should anyone ever bother to research anything about this guy? Especially his personality which is so anti-labels!

by Anonymousreply 29508/25/2012

R294 in the music industry itself is making a deal with the devil

by Anonymousreply 29608/25/2012

Haha,this tweet makes me laugh as it proves I was right all along that he is seeing Gilbert from Odd Future who has been away on tour with him and also on vacation after he stopped his tour.

All those fangurls on tumblr wouldn't stop going on about how he was dating Alycia blah blah and even went as far as to claim random tweets he made were too her! lolz!

It was so frigging obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that his is w Gilbert but it's very interesting what female fans will blatantly choose to ignore isn't it?

I mean Frank is bi and he goes away on tour & hol with a really, really, really goodlooking guy that looks like his alleged first love, Miguel, but noooooo, they are just 'friends'.

Like WTF? If Gilbert had been a woman, they would have jumped down that the two were dating off the bat, even if the woman was not that attractive.

I mean everyone knows he WAS dating Alycia but he definitely hasn't been for a while. And if you read her twitter feed, it's like she is stalking the guy. She won't quit. She's obsessed with him!

"echoparkrecords ‏@echoparkrecords At Fred 62 with @bondedorole & @toddedwards3000 and we saw a very cute couple at the bar and then we realized it was Frank Ocean & his dude. Expand Reply Retweet Favorite"

by Anonymousreply 29708/26/2012

What are his total album sales now?

by Anonymousreply 29808/26/2012

r297 you are not making anysense . you derived all that from Just a tweet ??

by Anonymousreply 29908/26/2012

R295 I'm not a "sanctimonious gay nazi". I don't particularly care what his sexuality is, whether he ever "says it" or what people want to call him. The fact is he did not come out as bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 30008/26/2012

300!

by Anonymousreply 30108/26/2012

r300 but he is okay with the bisexual label .Listen to his song she with Odd future..dream hampton also said she asked him and he said he was okay with it

by Anonymousreply 30208/26/2012

and yay for 300 .finally

by Anonymousreply 30308/26/2012

His album is still sold out at Best Buy. This female associate snickered at me when I asked if they have any Frank Ocean albums in stock. I guess he's tweaked everyone's gaydar

by Anonymousreply 30408/27/2012

Well this Frank Ocean guy went flat, didn't he?

It turns out he was just the black male version of that female country singer who came out to an ultimately apathetic reaction.

by Anonymousreply 30508/27/2012

He's performing at the VMAs next week.

by Anonymousreply 30608/27/2012

Performing at the VMA's Probably why he canceled with coldplay

by Anonymousreply 30708/27/2012

He is also the music act for the SNL season premiere, which is HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 30808/27/2012

Times are changing and veterans like Snoop Dogg are rolling with it. The West Coast native is confident that the hip-hop community is ready to embrace an openly gay rapper, something he admits would've been near impossible during his early years in the game.

In an interview with the Salt Lake Tribune via HipHopDx, Snoop shared his thoughts on homosexuality in hip-hop. "People are learning how to live and get along more, and accept people for who they are and not bash them or hurt them because they’re different," he said.

The Doggfather (now known as Snoop Lion, FYI) referenced Frank Ocean's recent and brave decision to open up about his sexuality, adding, "When I was growing up, you could never do that and announce that. There would be so much scrutiny and hate and negativity, and no one would step (forward) to support you because that’s what we were brainwashed and trained to know."

Rappers like T.I. and Jay-Z have expressed their support for Obama's pro stance on gay marriage, with T.I. telling Sway Calloway on a recent episode of "RapFix Live" that he saw no reason to fight the progression. "I think that if a matter doesn't affect your daily life, you shouldn't take a hard stand on it," he said. "If it's not something that directly affects you, if it doesn't affect you, what difference does it make to you what other people are doing with their lives?"

by Anonymousreply 30908/27/2012

whoa, r308, that's pretty cool. Nice to see SNL's recent tendency towards booking internet-hyped acts paying off for someone better than that Karmin mess or poor ol Lana Del Ray.

by Anonymousreply 31008/27/2012

vmas bound ,snl

by Anonymousreply 31108/27/2012

I am looking forward to seing him on SNL, but really don't you think he envies the true success of someone like Carly Rae Jespon?

by Anonymousreply 31208/27/2012

vmas

by Anonymousreply 31308/27/2012

snl too

by Anonymousreply 31408/27/2012

r312 two totally different artists lol

by Anonymousreply 31508/27/2012

Great for frank

by Anonymousreply 31608/28/2012

How awesome was his performance??! Though from what I read on Twitter he was supposed to be doing Pink Matter with dancers....

Dunno, if that was pre-show but FO is so unpredictable..

Of course Gilbert was there, not just his tweets but he also wore shorts too, tho diff from FO. Lol.

So many fan gurls like to pretend he is single and waiting for a woman..oh well.

by Anonymousreply 31709/08/2012

Oh FYI he is the biggest trend from the VMA's with 14 mill views and Rihanna only got 4 mill.

Dude isn't going nowhare. He is doing his style and is being consistent with his hat of the media etc.

by Anonymousreply 31809/08/2012

Twitter loves this dude

by Anonymousreply 31909/08/2012

incredible SNL performance

by Anonymousreply 32009/16/2012

Lenny Kravitz ‏@LennyKravitz

Frank Ocean just killed it on Saturday Night Live. Beautiful performance brother. Lenny

by Anonymousreply 32109/16/2012

snl performance

by Anonymousreply 32209/16/2012

He was brilliant! Damn this man is fucking talented. I have both his albums on heavy rotation on my phone. I love listening to his voice.

by Anonymousreply 32309/16/2012

Whoa he is Good!!!!

by Anonymousreply 32409/16/2012

I was one of his detractors based on the hype but he gave a spellbinding performance last night.

by Anonymousreply 32509/16/2012

Hot Stories from All Hip Hop

NellyNon Hip-Hop: [Pix] Nelly and Ashanti Still Together And Partying! French MontanaHip-Hop Rumors: French Montana’s Ex Wife Goes Off! Chiddy BangChiddy Bang: Hooked Up Gucci ManeHip-Hop Rumors: Gucci Mane, Beyonce, Fails And Random Other Crap! 50 CentHip-Hop Rumors: Chelsea Handler Reveals 50 Cent Intimacies! FabolousHip-Hop Rumors: Looks Like Fabolous Is Dissing Lil’ Wayne On His New Song! fail show castFAIL SHOW | Episode 12: Mo Money Mo Problems (Season Finale) 50 Cent, Flloyd Mayweather, Yuriorkis GamboaHip-Hop Rumors: 50 Cent Forms Company With Manny Pacquiao – WTH??? Joe BuddenHip-Hop Rumors: [Video] Joe Budden Goes In On SlaughterHouse Fans! 20120911-202102.jpgFabolous Takes Part In Nationwide “I Will” 9/11 Memorial Campaign EminemNo I.D. Working On New Music With Eminem Kanye West and Kim KardashianHip-Hop Rumors: Did Kim Kardashian’s Mother Son Kanye Over Sex Tape? NellyNon Hip-Hop: [Pix] Nelly and Ashanti Still Together And Partying! French MontanaHip-Hop Rumors: French Montana’s Ex Wife Goes Off! Chiddy BangChiddy Bang: Hooked Up Gucci ManeHip-Hop Rumors: Gucci Mane, Beyonce, Fails And Random Other Crap! 50 CentHip-Hop Rumors: Chelsea Handler Reveals 50 Cent Intimacies! FabolousHip-Hop Rumors: Looks Like Fabolous Is Dissing Lil’ Wayne On His New Song! fail show castFAIL SHOW | Episode 12: Mo Money Mo Problems (Season Finale) 50 Cent, Flloyd Mayweather, Yuriorkis GamboaHip-Hop Rumors: 50 Cent Forms Company With Manny Pacquiao – WTH???

AllHipHop.com MOBILE, Rumorst Hip-Hop Rumors: Frank Ocean Is Charging WHAT Per Performance? He’s Caked Up! by Sydney Lace September 16th, 2012 @ 10:08am Frank Oceant

No Commentst

Rate This

Share with Shortlink:

Ever since coming out of the closet, Frank Ocean’s popularity has soared through the roof. We hear he was the most tweeted about artist at the recent MTV VMAs, and last night, he was the guest performer on Saturday Night Live. Frank belted out two songs, his hit “Thinkin Bout You” and “Pyramids.” You can watch that performance below:

Ocean is in high demand these days and is capitalizing on his popularity and making sure he’s stacking his pockets! We hear the R&B singer is demanding a boatload of money per performance. What’s a boatload, you ask? Well, we hear Ocean is asking $100K per performance!

Last week in NYC for Fashion Week, Ocean was booked to perform at the J. Mendel Runway show and tweeted “Easiest 100K Ever.”

Get your money, Franky!

by Anonymousreply 32609/17/2012

Bumping for those who havent seen this thread

by Anonymousreply 32709/17/2012

Love, love his new letter! Feel like it was pushed a little by some of us on the oddfuture blogs who have been posting evidence of his relationship with Gilbert and some twitter's have also come on the same tip as we have. Oh well, all good.

Can't love this guy enough! Can't wait till he writes a book!

by Anonymousreply 32810/16/2012

How are his singles doing on the charts?

by Anonymousreply 32911/12/2012

Frank took French male model Willy Cartier to some GQ event, he even posted a photo of the two of them from his apartment on Instagram. Is this his bf?

by Anonymousreply 33011/14/2012

Why are all the active Frank Ocean and new threads being deleted?

by Anonymousreply 33111/29/2012

So what is the latest?

by Anonymousreply 33212/08/2012

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 33312/16/2012

Frank Ocean ARRESTED for getting his freak on with a dude while behind the wheel:

by Anonymousreply 33401/02/2013

One of the comments^: 'if it was good he was swerving'.

by Anonymousreply 33501/02/2013

Well here we are not even a year later and Frank Ocean is on the SNL repeat and other than his disastrous GRAMMY appearance, I know he attended the Annual Met Museum Fashion Ball.

He therefore is essentially over now right?

Do we think it is because he was overpraised and was given too much press because he was black and gay?

by Anonymousreply 33606/02/2013

Frank seems rather emo and complicated. He has a devoted fan club, but he makes music that is intentionally unfriendly to commercial radio. He seems to go out of his way to be non-mainstream and unappealing to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 33706/02/2013

The Frank Ocean Effect and Some “Bisexual” Guys I've Known

I never quite understood the stigma against bisexual men. (There is one, especially among gay men.)

Granted, labeling oneself a “bisexual” is something many men do to ease into full-on homosexuality; it is also a way for men to hold on to a shred of "acceptable" sexuality as they pursue their less mainstream interests (believe me, I've been there). But the idea that one person could be attracted to multiple genders is not inconceivable. People discuss much more far-out sexual proclivities all of the time. I hate being told by clueless straight bigots what’s going on inside of me; I’d hate getting it from gays even more.

I believe men when they tell me they’re bisexual—or, as happens more often, when they claim to be attracted to men and women, but don’t want to be saddled with a label. I believe the four guys profiled below.Within the past year, all four have slept with (and wanted to sleep with) both men and women. They all say they intend to continue doing so. All of them have hooked up with more men than woman (mostly because of matters of ease and availability), and none feels particularly tied to a monolithic culture, the way a gay guy might (in popular culture bisexuality tends to exist as a nuance or subplot, unlike scene-stealing homosexuality). None of these guys is particularly fond of the term “bisexual.” Call it the Frank Ocean effect.

I parlayed the sexual intimacy I shared with these four guys—all of whom identify more or less as bisexual, all at various points in their development as adults—into an interview scenario. In general, they were less naturally introspective about their sexuality than your average gay guy. Whatever culture results from being a male who sleeps with men and women, it largely happens internally for these guys. But even when they had trouble pointing to an absolute truth, or when their words were inconsistent and contradictory, they were candid, and I appreciated it.

All of the names have been changed and a few details have been obscured to ensure the anonymity of the subjects of this piece. Allen, 19

When Allen and I were putting our clothes back on, I asked him how he identified sexually. "I’m sleeping with guys and girls for now, but I'll probably just end up doing guys because that's how these things usually work," he said with such tranquility he might as well have yawned it all out. I told him that he was awfully sure of himself for a period that was supposed to be fraught with uncertainty. He shrugged.

Allen is beefy and athletic, with a body somewhere between a football and baseball player. He's laid back, with a stoned personality (though he's not into weed), and is fixated on notions of masculinity and femininity. "There are gay guys and there are faggots,” he told me once.

We were walking in public together recently, and a guy with a stereotypically gay voice was emoting loudly just over our shoulders. "I hate that," he told me. I sighed, exasperated at this puppy that needs training. I reprimanded him, telling him to mind his own business. If he gives effeminate guys a hard time, I told him, he’s no better than a straight homophobe. He shut up. A few weeks later, he texted me about it: "When you tell me things I really do listen I promise. I never thought kids couldn't be flamey and all that idk I know they're still our people and I always would have their backs but I never thought of it like that." He's learning, I think.

In light of this, Allen’s ease with sex is surprising. He's totally versatile and will top or bottom depending on the guy—his age or younger, he likes to top; for guys older than him, he prefers to bottom. "It’s just the whole power thing I guess… I think of it more as a given right type of thing: You’re older so I should bottom." When he isn't holding on to teenage shitheadedness, Allen can be very polite.

When we first met, he wasn't entirely open. When he refused to kiss me on the mouth, I joked that he was acting like a whore in Pretty Woman. "What's that?" he asked. He is, after all

by Anonymousreply 33807/02/2013

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A man who claims he was punched and kicked by a member of Chris Brown's entourage during a fight at a recording studio sued the R&B singer on Tuesday for assault and battery.

Sha'keir Duarte, who was identified by TMZ and CBS Los Angeles as singer Frank Ocean's cousin, sued Brown for unspecified damages in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming he suffered a concussion as well as humiliation and mental anguish as a result of the attack.

Brown's attorney Mark Geragos called the case frivolous and said it amounted to an attempted shakedown.

"This is what gives lawyers and lawsuits a bad name is garbage like this," Geragos said, adding that he will seek to have the lawsuit dismissed and will countersue Duarte.

Duarte claims he was beaten by a member of Brown's entourage identified in the suit only as "Hood" during a fight over a parking spot.

The fight at Westlake Recording Studios erupted on Jan. 27 between the entourages of Brown and fellow singer Frank Ocean.

Brown taunted Duarte and threatened that the fight could escalate into a shooting, the lawsuit claims.

Charges were never pursued after Ocean, who said his finger was injured in the fight, stated online that he wouldn't seek criminal or civil penalties.

The fight started after Brown parked in Ocean's spot at the studio.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

by Anonymousreply 33908/15/2013

He has been quiet lately.

by Anonymousreply 34009/09/2013

Frank Ocean Lands On Cover Of Oyster Magazine 9/29/2013 6:45 PM ET

Frank Ocean is featured on the cover of the latest edition of Oyster magazine. The simple, black and white cover features a close-up of Frank's face in profile with very little accompanying text. The cover shoot was done by Nabil Elderkin, who shot Ocean's video "Pyramids."

On the inside, Ocean appeared to be having a little fun with the interviewer, who asked what he was like in high school.

"I was a thug. I sold a lot of cocaine and crack," Ocean said - to which the interviewer asked, "You sold cocaine and crack?"

"All the time," affirmed Ocean.

Other tidbits from the interview include Ocean admitting that he is a fan of the Harry Potter books.

by Anonymousreply 34109/30/2013

Why does he keep such a low profile? Not good for his career. Too enigmatic.

by Anonymousreply 34209/10/2014

Why is he so obscure?

by Anonymousreply 34310/16/2014

He has dropped a new song.

by Anonymousreply 34412/01/2014

why is he so low profile?

by Anonymousreply 34501/14/2015

Frank is now rumored to be engage to a woman and she is also pregnant

by Anonymousreply 34606/06/2015

Wow that's great for him. I'm glad he escaped the sins of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 34706/06/2015
Need more help? Click Here.