Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The new STEEL MAGNOLIAS trailer is up!

Looks different. LOVE the cast.

by Anonymousreply 6410/07/2012

Huh, looks very good for what it is. (Lifetime movie and all)

by Anonymousreply 107/03/2012

Great cast. I can see that Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard will get Emmy nominations even from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 207/03/2012

[quote]Looks different.

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 407/03/2012

Wow,imagine if someone would write an original script for these terrific actresses.

by Anonymousreply 507/03/2012

I wish Jill Scott had more of a presence in the trailer. She's so totally underrated as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 607/03/2012

Looks like something from Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 707/03/2012

Looks better than something from Tyler Perry. If it had a theatrical release, it would've cleaned up.

by Anonymousreply 807/03/2012

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie, so I have nothing to compare it against. I just know that I love all of the actresses involved.

Have Condola and Phylicia ever appeared together before?

by Anonymousreply 907/03/2012

[quote]Wow,imagine if someone would write an original script for these terrific actresses.

Tyler Perry has. A few times.

I know you guys knock him a lot, but I love his sappy ass movies. There is always a great cast and often the acting is very good.

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2012

The original movie was a piece of shit. Something tells me this one will be a marked improvement.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2012

Steel Magnolias in the Ghetto!

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2012

Do black women in the south really talk like that?

by Anonymousreply 1307/03/2012

Magnolias have always been and will always be white.

by Anonymousreply 1407/03/2012

Drank that muthafuckin' juice Shelby, or I'm a gonna smack the black right offa you face!

by Anonymousreply 1507/03/2012

I think you mean Grape Kool-aid or forty ounce, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1607/03/2012

Damn girl, you is nappy-headed! Get yo black ass in dis heah-uh churrr and I'ma gonna give you a fingah-weave-uh! Dat shit gonna be tite when I'ma true wit you! You know dat's right!

by Anonymousreply 1707/03/2012

[quote]Magnolias have always been and will always be white.

Yeah, but I don't think calling it "Steel Eggplants" would fly.

by Anonymousreply 1807/03/2012

r18, you've just reminded me of Grace Jones and her Steel Vagina line in Boomerang.

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2012

[quote]Damn girl, you is nappy-headed!

Bitch, you did not say that. Annelle, hold mah earrings, gurl. This ho is goin' down.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2012

I'm waiting for the East Indian remake of Fiddler!

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2012

I don't think audiences will take to a black version of 'Steel Magnolias',Especially with the mediocre cast they have lined up !

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2012

Gee thanks R15,You made almost made me shoot Diet Coke all over my keyboard !

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2012

Wow, talk about revisionist history. Black women in the South worked FOR the white women. It was and still somewhat IS a racist culture at LEAST to the extent that black women would have to have racism WOVEN into their stories. M'Lynn was an upper middle class white woman and Ouiser was RICH. How many black women in the South even a few decades ago filled THAT bill? Steel Magnolias is the story of WHITE women. The Help is more along the lines of what a "black Steel Magnolia" story would be about. Not about buying up radio stations or opening chain beauty salons. "Southern lawyers do well whether they want to or not." How many black Southern lawyers does THAT dialogue line apply to, at least in just the most recent past?

I suppose it's nice to create a "perfect world" where black people have (or at least HAD, in past tense, since we live in a better world today) the same experiences as white people. But it strains credulity and suspension of disbelief to the point of absurdity when a story about Southern black women is not somewhat, at least, about oppression and limited opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2012

Urrange an' terr-qouze be my signatuary coluhs.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2012

Set it in American Beach, FL and there's black wealth all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2012

R24, did you even see Steel Magnolias? It was not set back in segregated times.

The dialogue is almost word for word lifted right from the original movie. I thought they were going to remake it with a black perspective, not just recreate the entire script and just change the skin color.

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2012

[quote]The dialogue is almost word for word lifted right from the original movie.

So true. Shirley MacLaine's line "Like Beyonce?" is one of my favorites from the original. Quoted it many times as a young gayling in the bars.

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2012

[quote]I wish Jill Scott had more of a presence in the trailer. She's so totally underrated as an actress.

I agree. I will watch anything with Jill and Alfre Woodard.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2012

This looks much, much better than I would have imagined - and I'm not a fan of the original.

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2012

I wish they would have had the actress playing Shelby doing handstands by the pool while she was having seizures.

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2012

I always think of the orginal Steel Magnolias as the movie that inflicted Julia Roberts on the public. Shortly after that came Pretty Woman and we've been suffering ever since.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2012

"I'm waiting for the East Indian remake of Fiddler!"

It could be done. A poor village Indian milkman tries to arrange marriages for his daughters, but they all manage to get around him and marry for love. The milkman and his wife sing about learning to love each other in an arranged marriage, and there's a big cultural village party. At the end, political chaos makes them decide to emigrate to a more stable country.

Seriously, this sort of thing is done all the time, and sometimes very well. Remember "Clueless"? There's no reason that "Magnolias" can't be about them modern black middle class, because yes, there actually is a smug black middle class in the more prosperous parts of the south.

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2012

[quote]The dialogue is almost word for word lifted right from the original movie. I thought they were going to remake it with a black perspective, not just recreate the entire script and just change the skin color.

That's because Steel Magnolias is a 1987 stage play written by Robert Harling. So the dialogue from both movies is lifted from the play.

by Anonymousreply 3407/03/2012

My thoughts exactly, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3507/03/2012

[quote]This looks much, much better than I would have imagined - and I'm not a fan of the original.

Well, the film is anchored by Queen Latifah. She's proved herself to be a more than capable actress who isn't as prone to histrionics as, say, Sally Field. I think having a little less of Sally as M'Lynn is a good thing.

This is not to say that I don't really, really like Sally, but I could buy QL as a woman who lost her daughter much easier.

Although, I don't know if QL would be as effective at selling Boniva.

by Anonymousreply 3607/03/2012

[quote]I don't think audiences will take to a black version of 'Steel Magnolias',Especially with the mediocre cast they have lined up !

Are you [italic]HIGH[/italic], R22?

This remake will give drama- and drag queens YEARS of new material.

by Anonymousreply 3707/03/2012

"Steel Magnolias" was a very WHITE movie about very WHITE people. I guess somebody thought it would be so very clever to do a remake with an all-black cast, but it's really a stupid idea.

From the trailer it's evident that the African-American cast is trying really hard to transform those oh so white characters into sassy black sistahs. The way they speak for example, is very BLACK"

"Wuz wrong?"

"Mawnin', Weezah!"

"Ah havah stric philosophy that ah've stuck wit fo' fifteen yee-ahs."

by Anonymousreply 3807/03/2012

It's *is* the South, R38.

I suppose you would faint dead away if you knew they did "West Side Story" in Spanish once.

by Anonymousreply 3907/03/2012

Jesus Christ but that looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 4007/03/2012

Those of you who like Jill Scott should watch "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency," a seven episode series by HBO and the BBC. Anika Noni Rose plays her right-hand (wo)man. You can rent the DVDs on Netflix or buy it on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 4107/03/2012

[quote]Black women in the South worked FOR the white women.

You're an idiot. It takes place in modern time. Beyonce?

by Anonymousreply 4207/03/2012

U Mad, R38?

by Anonymousreply 4307/04/2012

How many black women, Southern or otherwise, are called M'Lynn, Shelby and Clairee? Couldn't they at least change the names of the characters?

by Anonymousreply 4407/04/2012

It's modern times and the colored women have husbands? Too far a reach.

by Anonymousreply 4507/04/2012

It's too bad they didn't cast Shirley Q. Liquor as M'Lynn. That would have been entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 4607/04/2012

Does Julia Robert's still die?

by Anonymousreply 4707/04/2012

[quote]Couldn't they at least change the names of the characters?

How else will the white viewers tell them apart?

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2012

It was a schmaltzy, crap script to begin with and the movie sucked. A tv movie is the right environment. God knows Condola Rashad is 100x more sympathetic than Julia Roberts. I will make some popcorn and enjoy the camp.

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2012

It's a WHITE play with WHITE sensibilities. Black people in the South never had those social conventions, rules and colloquialisms. Nor did they ever have those kinds of names. There is a ghetto sensibility that will be hilariously missing from this if they use the same script, for heaven's sake. Black people DON'T TALK LIKE THAT.

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2012

R50 is having a meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2012

"God knows Condola Rashad is 100x more sympathetic than Julia Roberts."

Not really. The character of Shelby (described as being "the prettiest girl in town", according to the play) is a dipshit airhead, blathering on about her garish (how much did such a spectacle cost, anyway?) wedding: "all the walls are banked with sprays of flowers in the two shades of blush and bashful. There's a pink carpet specially laid for the service. And pink silk bunting draped over anything that would stand still!" Her pink nail polish has to be DELICATE. And of course the one thing, the ONLY thing she cares about is having a baby. Nothing else matters to her, not even her own life. In my opinion, it's a relief when Shelby bites the dust, no matter who's playing her.

by Anonymousreply 5207/04/2012

You DON'T know! You don't ANYTHING!!

by Anonymousreply 5307/04/2012

Shelby was America's first Bridezilla.

I think for people who remember the original fondly, it's for Truvy, Clairee, and Ouiser. Since the story is really more M'Lynn's, it would be nice that she gets to stand out as well, and not just because Sally Field is pounding her chest.

by Anonymousreply 5407/04/2012

They should do an all-white remake of Roots. They could use an Irish family.

by Anonymousreply 5507/04/2012

I don't think r50 means that black people do not use that particular kind of southern accent. That is a white southern accent. There is a black southern accent, which they are not using.

by Anonymousreply 5707/04/2012

Save the date: October 7th at 9 PM.

Meanwhile, here's a new teaser.

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2012

Looks interesting.

Sad that in 2012 some people unabashedly proclaim that black people talk a certain way. Some "progress".

by Anonymousreply 5908/24/2012

Set those DVRs.

And if you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2012

Steel Magnolias was never a big deal in the North, but god do those Southern queens love it!

by Anonymousreply 6110/05/2012

"This is the age of Facebook. If you can type, you can achieve a past."

An actual line from this remake.

by Anonymousreply 6210/05/2012

This is airing on LIFETIME tonight. I hope it does well in the ratings. LIFETIME has started to cater towards black audiences, which is a good thing.

LIFETIME has become respectable over the last several years by attracting well-known and (mostly) respected actresses to star in television movies.

by Anonymousreply 6310/07/2012

Looks like a real TURD if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 6410/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.