Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tina Brown: Why has a comeback been so difficult?

After an amazing ascent (Tatler, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker), it's been sort of interesting to watch her career crash and burn over the past 13 or so years. Talk was an epic failure; The Daily Beast has had a good day, but it's still viewed as HuffPo Lite; and Newsweek has become an official embarrassment (with it's frivolous content and horribly Photoshopped covers). Has she quit trying altogether?

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2012

I hear Naomi Watts is portraying her in a movie. Is that right?

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2012

What was her cable TV show, again?

Now that was a failure, but it wasn't even interesting enough to be called "epic."

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2012

Topic A with Tina Brown.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2012

[quote]The Daily Beast has had a good day, but it's still viewed as HuffPo Lite

HuffPo is increasingly viewed as a link farm and/or a venue that expects a large majority of its editorial staff to provide content for free, which does not describe The Daily Beast in any way. They have a full roster of very well-known journalists, and unlike HuffPo actually pays them a decent living.

Nonetheless, Tina Brown hasn't been truly relevant since she left Vanity Fair.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2012

Where would she come back from?

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2012

Daily Beast always runs the silliest stories. It wouldn't hurt if it had a bit more depth.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2012

[quote]Why has a comeback been so difficult?

Maybe because she's an airhead.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2012

bump

She was on "Morning Joe" this morning talking about her abysmal magazine.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

She's boring.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

I worked for her. She's a hyper idiot. All she could say was "Hot!" or "Very Hot!"

We all ended up calling her Tiny Brain.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

"HuffPo is increasingly viewed as a link farm and/or a venue that expects a large majority of its editorial staff to provide content for free, which does not describe The Daily Beast in any way. They have a full roster of very well-known journalists"

Like Jayson Blair.

I already forgot who said it, but regarding Tina's new "Heaven" issue of Newsweek, they basically said just end the magazine now rather than put out such sad, (as in pathetic,) issues.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

She fucked over the wrong people. I understand why she is a failure , but why is she offered so many opportunities to fail?

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

she ruined newsweek. i cancelled my subscription after that abortion of a cover calling for Obama to be voted out of office came out. that british "journalist" right winger she hired is a total hack.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2012

Overrated and over-promoted always. A cunning networker but an empty suit. There's very little there there.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2012

Does anyone remember SPY magazine? Tina Brown was one of their favorite targets back in the day when she was editor of VF. They loved to make fun of her, and they were hilarious about it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2012

[quote]HuffPo is increasingly viewed as a link farm and/or a venue that expects a large majority of its editorial staff to provide content for free, which does not describe The Daily Beast in any way. They have a full roster of very well-known journalists, and unlike HuffPo actually pays them a decent living.

You're 100 percent correct. But you won't get many people here on your side, because DL is filled with 80 year olds who get their news from AOL.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2012

R17 is an 80 year old who gets his news from AOL.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2012

[quote]Newsweek has turned into People under Tina Brown.

It's even worse than that; it's turned into a trolling organization that writes "provocative" articles just to get people to buy/click. Quality and depth don't matter; neither does accuracy. What matters is "buzz."

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

I'm surprised no one here has called her a cunt yet.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2012

I feel like when she started the idea of celebrity news as real news, if that makes sense, was somewhat new. She capitalized on it. Now Newsweek is just one more pictures-above-words rag.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2012

Remember the magazine she started for a hot minute during the Internet Boom, "Talk"?

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2012

I remember Talk. Talk about a terrible magazine!

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2012

Of course Gwyneth was on the inaugural cover of Talk (which guaranteed it'd be DOA).

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2012

"A cunning networker but an empty suit."

Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.