Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Olivia de Havilland is 96 today

born 1 July 1916

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 6212/16/2013

She doesn't look a day over 95.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 107/01/2012

I realize we live in a time when people are living to much older ages, but it still amazes me to read about people who were born around the time of WWI.

(And even though cars were around then, I would imagine most people still used horse and buggy)

I wonder if she ever gets the urge to watch GWTW when it airs on TCM just to step back in time and see herself as a 30-something woman.

Miss Melly outlasted even Bonnie Blue Butler. Whodda thunk...

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 207/01/2012

God dammit. Maybe next year...

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 307/01/2012

R2, just think - Luise Rainer is 6 years older than Olivia! She was born in 1910 - BEFORE World War I. She turned 102 this year.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 407/01/2012

The old bitch

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 507/01/2012

Maureen O'Hara isn't too far behind. She'll be 92 next month.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 607/01/2012

She's such an amazing woman and I love her more than anything (despite what you may have heard). Happy birthday, Maureen!!!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 707/01/2012

"I wonder if she ever gets the urge to watch GWTW when it airs on TCM just to step back in time and see herself as a 30-something woman."

Should Olivia get the urge to see herself as a 30 something year old woman, she would do better to watch The Heiress or The Snake Pit, films she actually made in her 30s.

Olivia was only 23 the year GWTW was released. 1939 - 1916 = 23 years.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 807/01/2012

Yes, I realized I was incorrect a few minutes after I posted that message, R8. I was too lazy to post an update and was waiting for someone to correct me on that one. Hee hee!

(Shoulda known DL wouldn't let that one slip by)

I realize this is off-topic, but it was a slow day at work this past Friday and our office manager was talking about how much she loved Bette Davis movies. Not one person in the 20-something group (3 people) said that they had ever watched a Bette Davis movie. For some reason, that floored me but I guess the old black and whites would be considered too 'old fogey' for most of them.

Someone asked the 20-somethings if they had seen GWTW or any Oscar & Hammerstein movies (They specifically mentioned Oklahoma and South Pacific). Neither of them had seen any of those 3 films. For some reason, that really surprised me but I guess growing up in an era when there are 300 cable channels on, they probably wouldn't gravitate to Bette Davis, et al.

I wonder if future generations will enjoy the old 'classics' or if they will not translate well into the 21st century.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 907/01/2012

Is she still obese and does she still talk really slow like she's talking to small children?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1007/01/2012

Her Oscar-worthy performance in THE SWARM...

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1107/01/2012

Wow. THAT was painful...

I can just see her obit now: ...star of THE SWARM.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1207/01/2012

Happy birthday, dance partner!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1307/01/2012

She's older than Canada, whose birthday is also today

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1407/01/2012

R2, not in the big cities - in the small towns, maybe, but the world went auto-crazy pretty quickly.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1507/01/2012

Why'd she hate on Joan so much?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1607/01/2012

....any Oscar & Hammerstein movies....

Oh dear.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1707/01/2012

Jodie Foster acknowledges Olivia at the 2011 Cesars, and the audience gives her a standing ovation:

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1807/01/2012

Well, I hope she and Joan both make it to 100. They could meet at the Oscars, and Joan could say, "You mean...all these years...we could have been...friends?" And then they could get strawberry ice cream cones.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 1907/01/2012

96. That's in dog years, right?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2007/01/2012

Shouldn't Olivia and Joan do a 'Straight Story' and patch up their sibling rivalry before they die?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2107/01/2012

Speaking of Bette Davis, Olivia and she were good friends. I believe Olivia was the only other actress whom Davis had a friendship with.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2207/01/2012

Love Oliva in To Each His Own.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2307/01/2012

No, Bette also got along well with co-stars Geraldine Fitzgerald, Anne Baxter, Mary Astor and Natalie Wood, among many others.

She most famously hated Miriam Hopkins, Celeste Holm and Faye Dunaway, not to mention Errol Flynn.

But then enough about Bette, this is Olivia's thread.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2407/01/2012

In preparation for a scene from The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Olivia de Havilland gets a lesson in lute playing from director Michael Curtiz

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2502/20/2013

I'm a Olivia De Havilland, Joan Fontaine and Jodie Foster fan. Classic movies are to be discovered every now and then by generations. Its merely exposure and you'll continue to explore everything about it once you have been bitten by the classics stuff just like me. First, there was TV, then the CDs and DVDs and now the internet. Classics will go down the ages. It is a culture own its own. And culture goes with wisdom, age and exposure, among others.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2605/05/2013

That's a long life lived. And she was in Gone with the Wind. Respect!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2705/05/2013

She was nominated for two films directed by a gay person, Mitchell Leisen. The first, "Hold Back the Dawn" and then her winning role in "To Each His Own".

I enjoyed her as a terrorized, handicapped person in "Lady in a Cage"; which featured a sexy James Caan, as a bad, young-un.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2805/05/2013

97 and she's still here! Happy Birthday, Olivia!!!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 2907/01/2013

Omg,R29, you are right! Her birthday is every first of July!

How nice!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLIVIA! THANK YOU FOR YOUR MOVIES AND FOR YOUR SUPERB ACTING LADY

WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3007/02/2013

It's not possible to remake films such as 'Gone With The Wind' and 'My Cousin Rachel'

You can't remake masterpieces.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3107/02/2013

There are plenty photos of Olivia in this thread.

We love her no matter what!

Cheers to Joan as well~

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3207/02/2013

Olivia and I share a birthday - how great.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3307/02/2013

Classy smart broad that Jodie- how many Hollywood stars can you name who can get up and speak fluent French to an audience (or even Spanish assuming they are not JLo or Penelope Cruz?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3407/02/2013

To Each His Own still hasn't been released on DVD. One of my absolute favorite films.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3507/02/2013

R3 Sorry to disappoint you bitch - looks like this wasn't the year either!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3607/02/2013

Which one of the planes did she design? Very impressive to see a female aeronautical engineer that old!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3707/02/2013

Cusses like a sailor at 1:44 min. mark.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3807/02/2013

[quote]She's older than Canada, whose birthday is also today.

Uh, no. Canada was "born" July 1, 1867, dufus.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 3907/02/2013

Did you see her on 60 Minutes earlier this year during a profile of David McCullough. She was flirtatious, vivacious and vibrant during a party in Paris at the US Embassy.

Now that is a glorious way to spend one's golden age.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4007/02/2013

Boy, those two old broads really are hanging on.

Bless!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4107/02/2013

That bitch is OLD!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4207/02/2013

I am not much of an Olivia De Havilland fan, but I think her best performance in in "The Heiress"

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4307/02/2013

Her best role was Miss Schuster.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4407/02/2013

Old but a classy image.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4507/03/2013

Maureen O'Hara is still here too. She now lives in Idaho with her grandchildren. She moved back from Ireland last year. She'll be 93 next month.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4607/03/2013

Has either Olivia or Joan ever married?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4707/03/2013

Does THIS sound like the profile of a woman who is emotionally stable and reasonable? How many times do I have to tell you homos that SHE'S the problem??

"While in South America for a film festival in 1951, Fontaine adopted a 4-year-old Peruvian girl named Martita. Fontaine met Martita when she was visiting Incan ruins where Martita's father worked as a caretaker. Martita's parents allowed Fontaine to become Martita's legal guardian in order to give the child a better life. Fontaine promised Martita's parent she would send the girl back to Peru to visit when Martita was 16-years-old. When Martita turned 16, Fontaine bought her a round-trip ticket to Peru to visit her parents but Martita refused to go and opted to run away. Fontaine and Martita have been estranged since the incident occurred. While promoting her autobiography in 1978, Fontaine addressed the issue stating, "Until my adopted daughter goes back to see her parents, she's not welcome. I promised her parents. I do not forgive somebody who makes me break my word." In 1996, The New York Post reported that Fontaine was also estranged from her birth daughter, Deborah."

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4807/03/2013

Hmmm, interesting Olivia. Ty for your info.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 4907/03/2013

Olivia de Havilland at the beginning of her film career as Hermia in 'A Midsummer's Night Dream'(1935)

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5007/03/2013

Sounds like Joan had long since lost interest in her adopted daughter and this estrangement was just an excuse to dump the girl permanently.

But to be honest both sisters have always left me cold. I think Olivia has always come off as pretentious. Joan has always been good at playing the victim while in fact being the supreme bitch.

Both are good examples of the good die young.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5107/03/2013

And furthermore, I hope Luise Rainer outlives both the old cunts!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5207/03/2013

I love the story of Ethel Barrymore scolding Olivia when she was crying for losing the Oscar to Hattie.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5307/03/2013

I saw that too r40, and thought she was fabulous.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5407/03/2013

Olivia made an appearance at the Oscars a few years ago and insisted upon walking to the podium without assistance. Unfortunately, she stumbled and fell face first into the podium.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5507/03/2013

[quote]Olivia made an appearance at the Oscars a few years ago and insisted upon walking to the podium without assistance. Unfortunately, she stumbled and fell face first into the podium.

Any video of that?

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5607/03/2013

R56, it's on Youtube.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5707/03/2013

She did slip, but she didn't actually fall. She caught herself on a prop wall and then lunged for the podium.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5807/03/2013

Is she drunk in that video? She first has to steady herself on the side wall, and then she lunges for the podium like she's running from the killer bees in "The Swarm."

If that podium had been just 2 feet further away from her, she definitely would have face-planted into it, sending her wig flying across the stage.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 5907/03/2013

[quote]Someone asked the 20-somethings if they had seen GWTW or any Oscar & Hammerstein movies (They specifically mentioned Oklahoma and South Pacific). Neither of them had seen any of those 3 films.

I'm sure if they'd been asked about THE SOUND OF MUSIC instead they would've known it immediately. It's R&H's most famous film adaptation, and every kid seems to have grown up with it. Last year, my friend showed it to her 6-year-old triplets (2 boys, 1 girl) and they were transfixed and were practically obsessed with it for a while. Nobody outside of theater geeks and movie buffs really knows about OKLAHOMA! OR SOUTH PACIFIC.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 6007/03/2013

R3 Looks like it was your year, dear.

I'll take that bottle of champagne.

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 6112/15/2013

The news for Joan Fontaine's death were a hoax. She is still alive!

by Melanie Hamilton Wilkesreply 6212/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.