Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The fifty greatest albums by women

According to Rolling Stone.

And The Queen of Rock and Roll isn't even included? How many times did I pose for their fucking cover!

Look who's number one.

Roger, bring me the axe!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 13109/22/2013

Adele is waaay to high.

Having Taylor Swift on there is a joke.

Other than that, aside from the Tina omission, it's not a terrible list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 106/30/2012

Tina was more of a singles artist.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 206/30/2012

Really Janet Jackson Velvet rope or rhythm nation not in the top 5 ? what a joke

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 306/30/2012

[quote]Essential moment: ... "Toot toot, hey, beep beep!"

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 406/30/2012

Joyce.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 506/30/2012

R5 you beat me to it!

Millie Jackson-

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 606/30/2012

It's a pretty dumb list, and reeks of strategic selections and box checking. These lists completely discredit the idea of actual critical thought in their compilation, since seemingly every artist is only allowed one berth. But the truth is artists like Joni Mitchell or PJ Harvey both have 5-6 albums better than most of what's on this entire list.

Just one of many nitpicks, they chose "The Hot Rock" to represent Sleater Kinney. It's their weakest album. And for that album's essential moment they picked "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" - which is not on that album, it's on "Call the Doctor."

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 706/30/2012

I agree with the first three - but Yoko Ono and not Amy Winehouse ? and I wouldn't classify a Fleetwood Man album as a woman's.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 806/30/2012

Eh.

I've never even heard of some of these people: The Breeders? X-Ray Spex? MIA? Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Sleater-Kinney? Bikini Kill? No clue who any of these are.

Their choices by the artists I recognize and actually like are boring and predictable (but then again, so is Rolling Stone). Blue by Joni Mitchell? Sure, it's a great album, but at this point it is way overrated in comparison to her other work.

The inclusion of Rumours is a bit of a head-scratcher. Yes, there were two female musicians in the group, but you would think Nicks's solo album Bella Donna would've been a more logical choice.

And not including Tina's Private Dancer or Foreign Affair is inexcusable.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 906/30/2012

Geez, r9, when did you stop listening to new music? Of those artists you haven't heard of, only X-Ray Spex are truly obscure. Bikini Kill and the Breeders have been around since the early '90s, and the latter had radio and MTV hits.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1006/30/2012

[quote]Geez, [R9], when did you stop listening to new music?

lol Sometime in the mid-'90s.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1106/30/2012

"Rhythm Nation" and not "janet."?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1206/30/2012

Greatest hits compilations should never make these lists. Dolly and The Supremes/Diana have many fine albums. It's a litte insulting to just toss in a compilation.

ONCE UPON A TIME should be there instead of BAD GIRLS.

I NEVER LOVE A MAN? Great album, but it's always chosen. SPIRIT IN THE DARK, YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK or even HEY NOW NEY where she is at the peak of her vocal range would be a nice change of pace.

BLUE is always chosen too. COURT AND SPARK and SUMMER LAWNS could easily take its place.

RAY OF LIGHT for LIKE A PRAYER.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1306/30/2012

Taylor Swift is NOT fucking rock.

(She's kind of cute and an okay songwriter but pop pop pop pop pop.)

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1406/30/2012

And I suspect our choices are affected by our adolescence, but for me "Tapestry" would be in the top 10. Of all time.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1506/30/2012

Rolling Stone has been pulling this shit for years. Their lists always pull in people from other genres (Dolly Parton?) and generally raid the soul/R&B charts for women of color.

I remember when they published a "Women in Rock" book back in the '90s, they had a chapter on how sensitive type male singer/songwriters were the new "women in rock."

And if you're going to include brilliant women singer/songwriters (like Lucinda Williams, whose Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is one of my favorites) then why not just go whole hog and include Emmylou (the only one of the Trio, aka Dolly, Linda & Emmylou, not represented).

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1606/30/2012

Bogus RS articles such as this one are the reason I haven't looked at a copy of one since 1998.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1706/30/2012

Ho Hum. RS hasn't been relevant since they embraced rap crap. And who the hell are these hacks deciding for music fans what's best? Laughable.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1806/30/2012

I could've pulled a better list out of my ass.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 1906/30/2012

"I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Love You" = ambiguous "lesbian" song lyric, used to good effect in "Bound."

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2006/30/2012

Well, to be fair, they didn't specify that they were the greatest rock albums by women.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2106/30/2012

Beyonce and Taylor Swift have no business on this list. Rolling Stone lost its street cred ages ago though; they are pretty benign and useless now, like a dotty old uncle who sits in a chair at family get-togethers, always ranting, "in MY day...".

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2206/30/2012

Here is the list (I can't be arsed reloading that page 50 times). I'm surprised Melissa Etheridge isn't on there - I'm not a fan, but she definitely deserves a spot for her early work.

1. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You 2. Joni Mitchell - Blue 3. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 4. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours 5. Patti Smith - Horses 6. ADELE - 21 7. Missy Elliott - Under Construction 8. Blondie - Parallel Lines 9. The Supremes - Anthology 10. Bikini Kill - The Singles 11. Lady Gaga - Born this Way 12. Janis Joplin - Pearl 13. Mary J Blige - My Life 14. Pretenders - Pretenders 15. Patsy Cline - The Patsy Cline Collection 16. Labelle - Nightbirds 17. Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock 18. Madonna - Like a Prayer 19. Joan Jett - Boardwalk 20. Etta James - At Last 21. Carole King - Tapestry 22. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville 23. Donna Summer - Bad Girls 24. Hole - Live Through This 25. Heart Portrait 26. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 27. Dionne Warwick - Presenting... 28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz! 29. M.I.A. - Kala 30. Alicia Keys - As I Am 31. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea 32. Dolly Parton - Best of Dolly Parton 33. Irma Thomas - Soul Queen of New Orleans 34. The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat 35. The Ronnetes - ABKCO 36. X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents 37. Beyonce - 4 38. Björk - Post 39. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine 40. Yoko Ono - Rykodisc 41. Cyndi Lauper - She's so Unusual 42. Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel 43. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 44. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon A Time 45. Taylor Swift - Speak Now 46. Salt-n-Pepa - Hot, Cool and Vicious 47. Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road 48. Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up 49. The Breeders - Last Splash 50. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2306/30/2012

To include Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," which is to say the least inconsistent, is bad enough, but to put it at number 11? Come on!

And no Kate Bush? "Hounds of Love" should most definitely have been included, it has influenced the work of most of the piano playing girls that have come since.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2406/30/2012

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill at No. 43 several places behind the likes of Beyonce, Alicia Keys, MIA and Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliot. What a joke.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2506/30/2012

Under Construction at #7 is such a weird pick that I can't even get mad at it. But Adele at #6 and Born This Way at #11 are totally indefensible, and I pretty much like them both. r7 is right about The Hot Rock, too. Of course by Having A Conversation about this dumb-ass list at all I've allowed the terrorists to win.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2606/30/2012

No Tina Turner?

Really?

She did "Nutbush City Limits" by herself, basically, and that is a pure rock song. Hell, and that is just the one example.

I'm glad to see that Dolly Parton is on the list, but her fellow Tennessean Tina Turner should be on that list right along with her.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2706/30/2012

Can we stop with the genre ("that's not rock") arguments when discussing these lists?

I know that Dolly Parton or Missy Elliot are not what is normally considered "rock". But, if you've been paying attention for maybe the last 20 years, you know that RS uses "rock" to simply mean "music", "popular music," "a handful of popular musical styles (but not classical and jazz)" or something else that is much broader than "rock."

That said, the list always does its job of igniting discussion (usually angry), because there's no way everyone is going to agree.

A lot of the individual choices are very good, but the whole process seems so transparent and whoever mentioned "box checking" is spot on. (Older artists, younger artists, pop, R&B, hip-hop, Joni Mitchell's Blue, alternative artists, the Go-Gos - check).

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2806/30/2012

The RS always focuses on the late 60s. So predictable. Some of us have moved on.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 2906/30/2012

If you're gonna put Taylor Swift, you may as well put Whitney Houston on the list. In terms of sheer vocal ability, she was leagues above the weak-voiced Swift. But she didn't write her own music, though.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3006/30/2012

Agree with the shock that Winehouse and Tina aren't on the list.

And if you're gonna have R&B, Hip Hop, and Motown, how can you not include Whitney? That makes no sense.

Great to see The Breeders and Liz Phair on the list. Both of those albums were fucking amazing to me as a gay boy in the burbs.

And if you're gonna do folky records like the (very deserving Car Wheels...) than you have to include Tracy Chapman's debut.

I'm fine with Adele being on the list, but she should have been in the bottom half.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3106/30/2012

r25, I was pretty surprised by that. Even ignoring the quality of the record, it sold a million copies, won a million Grammys, and seems like one of those things acknowledged as a Classic Album even by old fart Rolling Stone editors who'd rather be listening to the remastered edition of The Concert for Bangladesh they just got in the mail. I'm sure if this list came out in 1999 it'd be #6.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3206/30/2012

This list -- and EVERY list of this sort, by virtually every publication that does them these days -- is fucking pathetic. A total joke, and I hope they lose subscribers and advertising revenue as a result. Just seeing Beyonce and Lady Gaga on there tells you right away...

Breeders should be way higher on the list, although Kim Deal certainly doesn't need 'validation' of this sort, from this piece of shit rag.

Also, R9, you're a pansy-ass moron.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3306/30/2012

Useless horse shit. It's like it was done by people who didn't listen to women's music, and just piled on a list based on mix-and-match and bias.

Tina? Joni at 2? Adele - fuck that cunt in the ass. Gaga's great but not at 11. The Kate Bush comment is right. Taylor Swift - it boggles the mind. Lauryn HIll at 43?

AND of course the biggest load of crap is that women only make one decent album each? FUCK YOU. And putting "best of's" on the list. It's an insult.

Yeah, as if there's a list like this with only one Beatles album allowed and Justin Timberlake outpaces Prince.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3406/30/2012

Firstly the whole premise of "women" lists are deeply out of date.

Secondly it seems now Rolling Stones are now taking their cue from whatever American Idol contestants seem to be singing that week as great music.

Also they included PJ Harvey's worst album, Rid of Me is her masterpiece, and where is Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes, Kristin Hersh's Hip and Makers or Throwing Muses The Real Ramona?

Where is Neko Case's Blacklisted, Cat Power's Moon Pix, Sarah Vaughan's with Clifford Brown? Gillian Welch's Time, Sinead O' Connor's I Don't Not Want? All these artist shoved aside for the likes of Alice Keys, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and ADELE.

It's a dog mess of a list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3506/30/2012

[quote] And who the hell are these hacks deciding for music fans what's best? Laughable.

What an outrageous thing for a bunch of rock critics to do.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3606/30/2012

I think Liz Phair should be lower, if for no other reason than she never even came close to "Exile in Guyville" again, and eventually gave up trying and sold out.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3706/30/2012

R36, rock criticism is generally a joke, and I'd say the majority of people who write about music these days don't seem to even know enough about music to get paid to write about it. But this list, from this long-ago-great magazine, is particularly insulting to anyone who has more than the most superficial foundation of music knowledge. It's actually far below Entertainment Weekly's standards, for Christ's sake. That's why it's ridiculous.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3806/30/2012

True dat, VotN, but damn if Exile in Guyville wasn't an amazing album that I played over and over and over as a teen.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 3906/30/2012

Was it a datalounger who made the list? Sounds like it.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4006/30/2012

I don't get why they do these lists. You can never please everyone and there's always going to be some egregious omissions or infuriating selections. No one is ever happy at the outcome, so what's the point? Music is just too subjective to be ranked like this.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4106/30/2012

I think this is a silly list, and can't even be bothered to comment further.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4206/30/2012

R37, nothing Liz Phair did after her debut should have any effect on what people think of that album, and I say that as someone who was greatly disappointed by everything after Whip-smart, which, incidentally, isn't far off from Exile In Guyville's gold standard.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4306/30/2012

We're supposed to click through 50 albums? WTF.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4406/30/2012

Why no Nina Simone Sings the Blues? Strange no Nina albums at all. Maybe the ermm.. journalist at RS have never heard of Nina?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4506/30/2012

[quote]And if you're gonna have R&B, Hip Hop, and Motown, how can you not include Whitney? That makes no sense.

I agree. She may not have been "rock n' roll" but you can't have a pop-soul-r&b vocalists discussion without Whitney. As if snubbing Tina Turner and Amy Winehouse isn't bad enough, having Adele and Missy Elliot that high and including Beyonce pretty much invalidates the list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4606/30/2012

I hate saying it but given some of the selections a case could be made for Celine Dion

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4706/30/2012

No Rhythm Nation. No Bella Donna. No Crimes of Passion. But Adele is in the top 10 of the Top 50 of ALL time?? What a garbage list, but then again Rolling Stone hasn't been relevant since 1977.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4806/30/2012

There are few things more boring in the world than listening to musicophiles discuss their boring and narcissistic lists.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 4906/30/2012

Aren't all of these women songwriters (at least 'on paper' - where they got a writing credit rather through negotiation than contributing), too? It makes sense to leave out female entertainers who only sing songs written by others (like Whitney Houston, Grace Jones, etc.).

Shame though that the gals from The B-52's aren't included.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5006/30/2012

I agree, r49. It's like a form of mutual masturbation for music snobs.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5106/30/2012

Where's Billie Holiday? Or Tammy Wynette? Or Tracy Chapman?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5206/30/2012

[quote]...even by old fart Rolling Stone editors who'd rather be listening to the remastered edition of The Concert for Bangladesh they just got in the mail.

That made me laugh out loud. Pretty much sums it up.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5306/30/2012

To all the people saying Whitney should be on the list, exactly which album would you have picked? She was a world class singer, but not much of an album artist. Remember this is greatest albums, not greatest singers.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5406/30/2012

They purposely fuck up these lists to get people to argue and generate more hits for their website. Hence the many clicks you have to do to get through the list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5506/30/2012

[quote]The fifty greatest albums by women

Oh please.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5606/30/2012

US music writers have also been copying British journalists for years. The British music press was quite influential up to the late 1990s, and many US writers subscribed to Brit magazines like Q, NME, Melody Maker Select (both defunct for years), etc. They started writing things like "Nirvana ARE," etc. Even the way this list is written totally shows the influence of the Brit music press.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5706/30/2012

At least they got the best Blondie track right. The rest of the list is crap, though.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5806/30/2012

That list is bullshit

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 5906/30/2012

It's amazing that Donna Summer is at #23 but Gaga is at #11 and Adele at #6. Donna's songs changed music, modernized it and its influence can be felt up to this day...what did Adele or Gaga really change? Nothing.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6006/30/2012

I'm compiling my own list, but in no particular order (I can't be bothered with such things):

1. Foreign Affair - Tina Turner

2. Private Dancer - Tina Turner

3. Bella Donna - Stevie Nicks

4. In Your Dreams - Stevie Nicks

5. Hejira - Joni Mitchell

6. The Hissing of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell

7. Turbulent Indigo - Joni Mitchell

8. Broken English - Marianne Faithfull

9. Strange Weather - Marianne Faithfull

10. A Secret Life - Marianne Faithfull

11. Warm Leatherette - Grace Jones

12. Nightclubbing - Grace Jones

13. Ray of Light - Madonna

14. Dusty in Memphis - Dusty Springfield

15. Spirit in the Dark - Aretha Franklin

16. Lady in Satin - Billie Holiday

17. Bare - Annie Lennox

18. Hat Full of Stars - Cyndi Lauper

19. Something Cool - June Christy

20. Bonnie Raitt

21. Give it Up - Bonnie Raitt

22. Nick of Time - Bonnie Raitt

23. Shadowland - k.d. lang

24. Black Coffee - Peggy Lee

25. Waiter, Make Mine Blues - Anita O'Day

26. Beauty and the Beat - The Go-Go's

27. Def, Dumb, & Blonde - Deborah Harry

28. Tuesday Night Music Club - Sheryl Crow

29. Tigerlily - Natalie Merchant

30. Eli & the 13th Confession - Laura Nyro

31. Nested - Laura Nyro

32. Straight Ahead - Abbey Lincoln

33. All Over the Place - The Bangles

34. The Grass Is Blue - Dolly Parton

35. Meet the Supremes - The Supremes

36. Heart Like a Wheel - Linda Ronstadt

37. Mad Love - Linda Ronstadt

38. Ella Sings Gershwin - Ella Fitzgerald

39. Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown - Sarah Vaughan

40. After Hours with Miss D - Dinah Washington

41. New Moon Daughter - Cassandra Wilson

42. Once Upon a Summertime - Blossom Dearie

43. LaVern Baker Sings Bessie Smith - LaVern Baker

44. The Girl in the Other Room - Diana Krall

45. You Won't Forget Me - Shirley Horn

46. Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man - Carmen McRae

47. Van Lear Rose - Loretta Lynn

48. Tell Mama - Etta James

49. Corinne Bailey Rae

50. Runaway Horses - Belinda Carlisle

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6106/30/2012

And what the fuck kind of journalist calls The Supremes "ghetto fabulous"?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6206/30/2012

Yeah, I'd add Annie Lennox to Winehouse, Turner and Bush as the most overlooked.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6306/30/2012

Including Taylor Swift destroys the cred of the entire list....so which record company paid for this list to be published?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6406/30/2012

Next year they'll do another 50 greatest women list and have a whole new set of names.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6506/30/2012

BELLA DONNA - Stevie Nicks

FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF NIGHT - Bonnie Tyler

CARLY SIMON - Carly Simon

THE WAY WE WERE - Barbra Streisand

LIZA AT CARNEGIE HALL - Liza Minnelli

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6606/30/2012

R49 and R51, what sort of music do you like best? Just curious. Because it sounds like maybe you're not really interested in music. Which is fine.

Similarly, I don't care to listen to people wax enthusiastic about corporate sales strategies or pro football or computer software. But there's something to be said for having an informed opinion. And taste, for that matter.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6706/30/2012

[quote]I think Liz Phair should be lower, if for no other reason than she never even came close to "Exile in Guyville" again, and eventually gave up trying and sold out.

It hasn't aged well. She's an awful singer.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6806/30/2012

[quote]Tina was more of a singles artist

Then they should’ve put a greatest hits or anthology album like they did with The Supremes and like they should have done for Madonna (in lieu of Like A Prayer). Because those artists also put out some great singles but never such a great masterpiece album (though Ray Of Light and Supremes A-Go-Go came somewhat close).

[quote]Greatest hits compilations should never make these lists

See above. Also, perhaps they felt it would’ve been more insulting to put a Supremes album (by the girl group with the largest number of number 1 hits) up in 45th place, where Supremes A Go-Go, The Supremes Where Did Our Love Go, or The Supremes Sing Dozier-Holland-Dozier – all with their filler cover tracks to puff up producer-churned two-to-three-single-hit albums - would have landed on their own. Not everyone can come up with a Dusty In Memphis.

I can see why Winehouse was overlooked, since her material consisted mostly of reformulating legendary sounds. But I agree with most here that Tina Turner was a crass oversight.

Also count me in with those who've already stated Yoko Ono and Taylor Swift have no business being in a Top 500 let alone Top 50 list. Somebody paid up - and they were placed in easy-to-skip spots.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 6906/30/2012

Liz Phair's voice sounds worse now than it did back when she couldn't sing.

How has the album not aged well? I haven't heard it in years, but it didn't exactly have the kind of songwriting that wouldn't stand the test of time. The consensus among Greatest Albums Ever listmakers is that it's still a perennial favorite. There are killer songs all over that thing. "Dance of the Seven Veils"? "Stratford On Guy"? et al.? Brilliant then, brilliant now.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7006/30/2012

[quote]Aren't all of these women songwriters (at least 'on paper' - where they got a writing credit rather through negotiation than contributing), too? It makes sense to leave out female entertainers who only sing songs written by others (like Whitney Houston, Grace Jones, etc.).

No - The Supremes and/or Dusty - even Aretha for the most part - did not write their hits.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7106/30/2012

[quote]The consensus among Greatest Albums Ever listmakers is that it's still a perennial favorite.

Typical DL. When ripping something popular they don't agree with, critics or mass popularity don't matter. The critics are idiots, the masses are stupid.

When they're defending something, it's all about "consensus."

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7206/30/2012

What I really love is when a rock critic says that something is "received wisdom." Received from whom? The Oracle at Delphi? Jeanne Dixon? A magic 8 ball?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7306/30/2012

Yeah, R72, I stand by everything I said. I just wanted to hear what about that Liz Phair album hasn't aged well, because I never heard that one before. You know what I think hasn't aged well? Stuff from the 80s, including a lot of the ones on this stupid list, stuff that has that god awful 80s over-production. You can spot it a mile away. Thin hi-hats, reedy Rickenbacker sounds, that gross, cold reverb. There's no mistaking it.

Regardless, this Rolling Stone list IS still shit, for all the reasons stated, and critics do suck a lot of the times, but sometimes they get things right and there's a general consensus, and YES the masses are, generally speaking, morons--when it comes to pretty much anything.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7406/30/2012

R43, you don't like anything on whitechocolatespaceegg? I think, as a whole, it's a better collection than Whip Smart, most of which is under developed. And she stole the title song from Macolm MacLaren.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7506/30/2012

um... the Rolling Stones were not women. Even I know that.... Tired, eldergay thread.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7606/30/2012

Where's Britney? Blackout is a masterpiece.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7706/30/2012

R61, I love your list, esp. the inclusion of Belinda Carlisle's Runaway Horses, but really, you wouldn't include Winehouse?

R68, Exile in Guyville hasn't aged at all. You don't listen to it for the singing, silly. As long as there are men, Exile In Guyville will be relevant. Love all of it, esp. Fuck and Run and the album closer, Strange Loop. Not everybody is cut out for stardom but Phair got her songs out there. It's a great record.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7806/30/2012

Sinead's second album, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, deserved to be on that list. It was such a moment and people still talk about her. It still sounds really good, from I Am Stretched On Your Grave to Three Boys to Jump In The River, there's a lot of good stuff on it.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 7906/30/2012

Fuck "Rolling Stone"

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8006/30/2012

God I hate Liz Phair.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8106/30/2012

r57, I used to read Select in high school - I remember one copy nearly got confiscated. It featured Ozzy Osboure with his dick tucked between his legs (or was it Iggy Pop...).

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8206/30/2012

Thank you, R78. And LOL @ R76.

R75, no I don't like that album, except maybe "Love Is Nothing." The rest is ruined, for me at least, by cheesy overproduction that buries her guitar, and the lyrics aren't as good as her early stuff. Have you heard the demos and outtakes? Much, much better than the album that got released. I remember reading in Entertainment Weekly that she was pregnant, like in 1996 or something, and I knew it was over. The album that followed confirmed it for me. Giving up pot smoking and having a kid ensured that she would never be the cool, brainy, oddball songwriter/guitarist she was early on. Oh well.

Whip-smart was great, I guess I prefer things to sound "underdeveloped" if developing them results in... whitechocolatespaceegg. Both the guitar playing and the lyrics are as rich as anything on Exile in Guyville. The title track just borrows its chorus from the Malcolm McLaren song, and she credited him with that in the liner notes. It was something she did all the time on her first cassette recordings under the moniker Girlysound.

Now how's THAT for boring, R49 and R51?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8306/30/2012

I wonder what their their circulation figures are these days? Haven't picked up a copy or even thumbed through one in decades. This dinosaur should be put to rest along with their bogus lists.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8406/30/2012

R83, I do love Nashville from Whipsmart. That's one of her best.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8507/01/2012

Where is Judy At Carnegie Hall? This is an outrage!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8607/01/2012

Or for that matter Barbra??!!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8707/01/2012

I guess RS are appealing to their readers, i.e. more mainstream crowd with a pedestrian taste in pop/r'nb and MOR.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8807/01/2012

Where the fuck is Nina Simone? Gaga, Taylor Swift and Beyaki made the list and Nina Simone didn't?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 8907/01/2012

Rickie Lee Jones?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9007/01/2012

At least RS had the good sense to include Linda Ronstadt on the list. That woman's contributions to country-rock is criminally underrated.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9107/01/2012

[quote]That woman's contributions to country-rock is criminally underrated

Covers are now contributions?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9207/01/2012

Wait a minute. No Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love". . .but Lady Gaga ranks at #11? And Taylor Swift is on the list? And they include greatest hits compilations on a list about albums--which are an art form in that each song should fit in some way to the others?

Wow. Rolling Stone has no idea what music is, do they?

List? Invalid.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9307/01/2012

"My Name Is Barbra" should have been #1! She is the greatest of all time! I am so upset I mixed up the pitcher of mai tais before noon! This is terrible!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9407/01/2012

THANK YOU, R61. I was fucking appalled that "Broken English" wasn't on this list. Jesus wept.

And for all y'all who don't want to click 50 times, just hover over the thumbnail of each album and its title will show up in the URL at the bottom of the page.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9507/01/2012

WTF is Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball?????? That list is shite. Adele and Taylor Swift?? Seriously?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9607/01/2012

It's so sexist to have a women only list that assumes that women cannot compete with men in the lists that include everyone.

And I thought the list was so obvious and easy. What was really telling was how they had the indie artist's most accessible, softest albums on the list. Pod was so much better than Last Splash and Polly Harvey's first 4 albums were vastly superior to Stories.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9707/01/2012

It's not necessarily a bad thing to draw attention to female performers by singling them out like this, as a sort of tribute. Even lame lists like these can help curious music fans discover albums they might otherwise have never heard of. As a teen I discovered a lot of great music through those end-of-year lists in magazines. Same for books, come to think of it.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9807/01/2012

Lists and charts usually reflect mainstream taste. Now, I don't mean that in a dismissive or disparaging manner, but to me the true gems are usually not featured on such lists. Quite frankly I'm shocked that PJ Harvey and Siouxsie (and the Banshees) Sioux (with the band's first singles commpilation Once Upon A Time) are on that list. I thought they were way too underground for that kind of lists.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 9907/01/2012

Where is that poster who thinks Neko Case and Cat Power are among the music world's best-kept secrets?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10007/01/2012

"Bogus RS articles such as this one are the reason I haven't looked at a copy of one since 1998."

And yet you responded to this thread. How can a list be bogus? It's just someone's opinion.

"But this list, from this long-ago-great magazine, is particularly insulting to anyone who has more than the most superficial foundation of music knowledge."

How is a silly list "insulting" to anyone? What are you queens getting so worked up about? If you don't care then why are you posting?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10107/01/2012

That woman's contributions to country-rock is criminally underrated

by: Anonymous

Covers are now contributions? by: Anonymous

R92 - if all you know about Linda Ronstadt are her cover versions you need to get out more. Or better yet, go buy Heart Like A Wheel.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10207/01/2012

NO KATE BUSH?!!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10307/02/2012

No Bobbie Gentry?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10407/02/2012

[quote]Pod was so much better than Last Splash and Polly Harvey's first 4 albums were vastly superior to Stories.

Agree. And why no Kristin Hersh? If not for her solo stuff, then for the Throwing Muses self-titled album.

Kate Bush. Definitely, yes.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10507/02/2012

Kim Carnes! Melissa Manchester! Cyndi Lauper!!!!

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10607/02/2012

#1. Judy at Carnegie Hall

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10707/02/2012

Tina Turner * Grace Jones * Bonnie Tyler * Kate Bush * Carly Simon * Marianne Faithful * Kim Carnes * Tracy Chapman * kd lang * Meissa Etherridge * Cass Elliott * Annie Lennox * Thelma Houston * Yvonne Elliman * Roberta Flack * The Pointer Sisters

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10807/03/2012

Yeah, where IS Melissa E.? She's an actual rocker, has sold millions of records, and had big hits. She must have pissed someone off.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 10907/03/2012

I'm glad there are other that think Pod is better than Last Splash, but a lot of Pod's success as a record goes to Tanya, her playing on that album was awesome.

Belly's first album was also really cool. In fact I'd have included Belly's Star. I think Throwing Muses' fist album is a seminal college rock record so it should have been included.

I'd also think Come's 11:11 is just as brilliant as Harvey's Rid Of Me, and along with Rid of Me is one of the greatest contemporary blues albums.

Crowsdell's Dreamette should have been there, it's one of the best indie pop album of the 90s.

Saint Etienne's Tiger Bay, Ethyl Meatplow's Happy Days Sweetheart, Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See, Tori Amos's Boys For Pele, Helium's The Dirt of Luck and Cat Power You Are Free should have got a listing, and for some new artists I think Sharon Van Etten's Epic and Anaïs Mitchell's Young Man In America would have been cool choices.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11007/03/2012

Everyone's already said it: this list is pure shit. The Dolly Parton compilation is especially insulting to her (although I'm sure she wouldn't care in the slightest).

However, I would like to defend Missy Elliott, especially against the guy who couldn't believe she placed higher than Lauryn Hill. Her music has always been incredibly forward-thinking and outside of the whims of the mainstream. Her work with Timbaland is always incredible. I would have put Supa Dupa Fly or Miss E So Addictive up, but can't fault Under Construction.

I also don't mind Rumours being on there. It's just as much a woman's album as any other album on the list that had men involved at some point.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11107/03/2012

I always think Lauryn Hill and The Miseducation of is so overrated.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11207/03/2012

Maria McKee - High Dive

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11307/04/2012

Where is Ray of Light?

And if you're going to include Lady Gaga, why Born This Way over The Fame Monster?

Baffling list for various reasons.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11407/04/2012

My mouth is still on the floor after reading Beyonce's worse album (and biggest flop of her career) "4" made the list! I pretty much find Beyonce to be one of the most overrated performers out right now, but even I know that "4" was a piece of shit compared to her debut album. If you're going to add her in the list, at least add her debut album.

Then again this whole list doesn't make sense. I agree that "Like A Prayer" is Madonna's greatest album, but then Gaga's "Born This Way" is listed higher. There would be no Gaga without Madonna, so to list her higher is insane.

I'm surprised Dionne made the list as she's often ignored by rock critics when they compile their "greatest" lists.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11507/04/2012

Best of list seem like just paid promotion?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11607/05/2012

[quote] Can we stop with the genre ("that's not rock") arguments when discussing these lists?

Why the fuck should we? It's RS who makes the genre lists, not us. If they're going to label a list as being a certain genre, then it should fucking well be that genre, and not a melange of other genres.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11707/05/2012

[quote]Can we stop with the genre ("that's not rock") arguments when discussing these lists?

I'm cool with that, but last time I checked Fleetwood Mac and The Pretenders were not women rockers. Ridiculous choices.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11807/05/2012

No Annie Lennox? Or, rather, Taylor Fucking Swift over Annie Lennox? And Madonna, no matter what you believe about her, should be in the top 10 over that heifer Adele.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 11907/05/2012

Carole King's "Tapestry" NOT making the top 10 (or the top 20, even) invalidates the whole list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12007/05/2012

Say, where's Vikki Carr?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12107/05/2012

Dionne?

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12207/05/2012

Dionne Warwick had an entry, r122.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12307/05/2012

It's a very cheap list. Music for morons.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12407/05/2012

Kind of shocked they didn't include Laura Nyro. She was brilliant.

Also surprised that B. Streisand was not somewhere on the list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12507/05/2012

[quote]Giving up pot smoking and having a kid ensured that she would never be the cool, brainy, oddball songwriter/guitarist she was early on.

LOL at the poor, precious indie rock poseur.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12607/05/2012

Anything by the Runaways makes MY list, not to mention the first few albums Joan Jett put out.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12707/05/2012

Toss out the "rock" and I cam deal with this list of pop, R&B, rap,and very occasional rock artist.

Definitely agree The Runaways should be in there. Forget those limpid stream of consciousness poetesses who dazzle the Lilith fair sheep.

So should Tanya Tucker, who had the balls to rock way before the current Nashville establishment decided it was ok.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12807/05/2012

Kitty Wells, yes I know all of you guys will be saying "Who?" but just because she isn't well known now she still was an amazing artist.

Chavela Vargas and Amalia Rodrigues are two of the greatest singers of all time, it's a shame RS weren't brave enough to create a more credible list.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 12907/05/2012

Missy Elliot does not belong on that list, let alone the top 10? Under Construction was her worst album, and even her best album shouldn't have made this list. Work It was a hot song in the early 00's, but that's it.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 13007/05/2012

Exile in Guyville should have been in the top 5, easily. In my biased opinion(I'm from Chicago), it is easily one of the two or three greatest rock cd's ever made by a woman. Although I really liked the early 90's rock scene, I don't think any PJ Harvey, Breeders, Alanis, Veruca Salt, etc. cd comes close to how great and significant that cd was.

by Tina, gardening in Francereply 13109/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.