Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Using Adderall (amphetamine) as a diet drug

Yes, I understand that I'm posting what may turn out to be flame bait, though that's NOT my intent, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever used Adderall, which is basically pure amphetamine, as a diet drug; specifically, as an appetite suppressant. I got the idea from my mom after we were talking about the episode from this season's "Mad Men" where Fat Betty goes in to see her doctor about diet aids, and Mom admitted she and most of her sorority girl friends took Dexedrine back in the '60s to keep their slender figures. Like many people, I've tried diets for years, but inevitably my willpower is overcome by my lust for carbs -- even AFTER I've done diets that are supposed to ween you from such cravings, such as Atkins.

Anyway, a friend of mine is in med school and told me the only way she manages her residency hours is via taking Adderall, and she explained how easy it is to get a prescription (basically, all you have to do is fake a case of ADHD). I did so and have been on it for two weeks now, and it's working like a fucking charm!! My first week I lost nine pounds, though I understand that was mostly water weight, and the second week I lost four pounds. I'm exercising regularly, doing moderately intense cardio four times a week, and since I'm not craving Cheetos or Haagen-Dazs, I'm eating the rough equivalent of what you're supposed to consume on the South Beach Diet: lots of protein, complex carbs and good fats.

So ... is there anything *wrong* with what I'm doing? I am well-aware that amphetamine can be addictive, albeit nothing like methamphetamine (to which it's only distantly related), and I know millions of young kids take it daily for ADD, as do plenty of adults. My resting heart rate is elevated, yes, and God knows my concentration level is sky-fucking-high (I've gotten more done at work the past two weeks than in the previous two months), but does Adderall present any health risks if taken for a fairly short amount of time. I have another 50 pounds or so to lose, so I'm guessing I'll be on it another three months or so assuming I don't plateau. Btw I'm taking 15 mg twice a day, which is half of the maximum dose, so I'm certainly not overindulging.

by Anonymousreply 4801/05/2014

I did the same exact thing as you, and I am an RN. It really isn't great for your heart (increased heart rate and blood pressure) and can be addicting. I fed my physician a line about having ADHD, and got the script to lose about ten pounds. It came off in two weeks with no effort, but the side effects of the drug were unbearable. I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest, and I think that people thought that I was on drugs because I had 'crazy eyes'. I was also really irritable all of the time.

by Anonymousreply 306/28/2012

I have ADD, and have been taking Adderall for about two years now. So far, it has had no significant effect on my weight. Of course, since I actually do have ADD, I would assume I am not affected by it in the same way someone without ADD would be affected. For instance, I have found that I have to take 75 mg (three times my normal dosage) before I start feeling "speedy," a sensation of which I am not very fond.

How much Adderall are you taking, OP?

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2012

From what I have seen, you lose the weight at first but need to keep upping your dosage to keep the weight off. Once you go off it, and you will because it will make you insane, you will gain the weight right back.

by Anonymousreply 706/29/2012

And as soon as you lose those 50 pounds and come off the drugs...you'll be a fatty again in no time flat.

by Anonymousreply 806/29/2012

You'll be seriously depressed when you stop taking it. And weight you starved off will come right back, harder to lose than ever.

by Anonymousreply 906/29/2012

Is Topamax supposed to work for weight loss? I know someone who started taking Topamax a couple of years ago and she's fatter than ever.

by Anonymousreply 1306/29/2012

You might as well use meth.

by Anonymousreply 1406/29/2012

Topomax worked for me for a limited time only. But unfortunately it ever so slowly eased me into a pracitically clinical depression.

SO not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 1606/29/2012

I noticed your typing is excellent, too!

by Anonymousreply 1706/29/2012

Sure take it. It's like not liking the way condoms feel so you'd just rather get HIV and take a few pills

by Anonymousreply 1806/29/2012

Hell, my former doctor prescribes stimulants for weight loss and depression and he doesn't even bat an eye. I wanted him to put me on Welbutrin a few years ago, switching me from Zoloft. He prescribed it and gave me a stimulant. Said it was to perk up my mood.

I can't remember the name of it but it was quite potent and well-known. I asked him what it would do to my blood pressure, since I have high blood pressure, but he told me to take it, anyway. I took one pill. That's all I needed to realize that, if i took it regularly, it was going to kill me.

On another visit about a year or so later, I told him I needed to lose weight. I was ashamed that I had gained a few pounds. He prescribed the same stimulant again, even though I objected. I stopped going to him.

OP, there's nothing inherently wrong with what you're doing. You could be hastening your death but it's not like you're smoking bath salts and eating people's faces. I say be careful, don't accidentally hurt yourself with these pills.

by Anonymousreply 1906/29/2012

Topamax and phentermine combo here, but same thing w carbonation. I'm not a soda drinker but even sparkling water tastes unbearably strange. Weird taste in my mouth too. Not loving it.

by Anonymousreply 2006/29/2012

OP, it's interesting that your doctor talked you out of Zoloft because of it's stimulating effect, but put you on adderall. I've been on Zoloft for almost 2 months, I have lost weight on it (but I don't need to lose weight). It does cause insomnia, and my sleeping patterns are way off. My psychiatrist wants to give it a bump with adding abilify - but I'm not so sure about adding anything. It does make me feel "wired" a bit, but I do think the Zoloft is absolutely working and makes me feel happy.

Maybe you should ask him about Zoloft? It's not known to cause weight gain, and may give you that stimulating effect.

by Anonymousreply 2406/29/2012

R24, is stomach upset normal when first starting Zoloft? I've had the trots for two days straight.

by Anonymousreply 2506/29/2012

[quote]To clarify, these prescriptions came from two different doctors, neither aware of the other's scrip.

OK, OP this can be dangerous, but I'm sure you already know that.

Since the stimulating effect does happen with Zoloft, once it kicks in, what I'm doing is. The first 6 weeks I took it at night - it actually helped me go to sleep. I started on 25mg, then 50mg, now at 100mg. Then I guess when it started working at the 100mg dose, it made me wide awake at night. My psychiatrist says that this is because it's now "kicking in". To counter act this I am now supposed to be taking it in the morning. I haven't made the switch yet, but will in the next day or so.

[quote]getting a doctor's opinion would be best, but what I'm doing seems to be working fine for now.

As someone who ended up in the ER because of a seizure caused by Wellbutrin, please talk to your doctors and let them know what you're taking. I mistakenly asked my PCP for Wellbutrin. I told him I had taken it several years ago (I did but only like a couple times, I told him I took it for a few months - I just wanted the script). He gave it to me. A week later I had a seizure from the Wellbutrin and was extremely paranoid, it was bad. So my body can't take a drug like wellbutrin. I should have been more honest with my doc and said I only took it twice, not long enough to witness any negative effects. Lesson learned the hard way - Always be honest with your doc.

Now that I am seeing a psychiatrist for meds, all is much better. She knows what works and what doesn't for my body. And my PCP is kept in the loop of everything.

Anyway, just a thought OP. I would hate for something to happen to you because you're mixing the drugs and one doc doesn't know about the other script.

R25 - It does only when the dosage was increased though. That should subside after a couple days.

by Anonymousreply 2706/29/2012

SSRIs are completely ineffective except as placebos.

The only thing that works for effective weight loss are drugs in the stimulant class because they decrease appetite. I've had a wife range of personal experience with weight loss drugs over the past decade and lost a 120 pounds and kept it off with their help.

I've taken ephedra, phentermine and in the last year Adderall and Dexedrine which was the final straw for me since the side effects are absolutely horrendous.

I would agree with the commenter above that you are in the honeymoon period of speed taking which lasts for about a month, maybe two. There's no doubt that's when you become attached because the side effects are ignorable due to the quick weight loss and the sense of euphoric powerfullness the drug induces. But then, the side effects start to pile on, sleeplessness, heart palplitations, severe muscle cramping in neck and shoulders which result in crippling tension headaches, and later on panic inducing anxiety and even potential paranoia if you take it too long. Also, the sense of focus you have at the beginning devolves into exactly the opposite. You become foggy and messy. The end result is that you have to take more and more to get the initial feeling that you had when you first took it, and the problems get worse and worse.

Also, when you're on it, you're a fucking asshole socially and I can tell by your writing OP that you're a hophead, and so can anyone else who has experience with speed. To people who don't know, you're just a dick. The personality and psychological change is extraordinary and remarkable and there's a reason it's classified as an addiction in the DSM. I almost lost my boyfriend and friends because of it.

You think you can control it just like everyone else who thinks they can when they start taking it because that's how the drug tricks your brain, it's quite insidious. But you'll be a speed casualty just like everyone else.

And you are taking speed, make no mistake. It's not at all that far removed from methamphetamine, and in my experience Adderall was more problematic than Dexedrine, but in the end they had the same terrible effect.

I'm fully aware the pointlessness of posting this because you won't hear anything but what you want to right now, but I guarantee you are going down the wrong path OP, and it's going to happen so much faster than you think. The end result will be you lost thirty pounds but at the expense of potentially severe damage to your heart, your brain, your career and your life. Even early death. And I'm not joking. Speed is a death drug, it's simple as that. But then again, that could be what you want.

It's truly unfortunate that the good effects of the stimulant like appetite reduction can't be harnessed because the drug company that pulled that off would become exceedingly rich. For now, that hasn't happened and you're going to regret this OP.

Sorry to tell the truth.

By the way, I went off could turkey. It was tough for a couple of weeks. I gained about 30 pounds in a year but have stabilized. It's been tough not taking a short cut, but I know I'd be right back at the place I started in six months if I picked it up again, and it's not worth the loss or the risks.

by Anonymousreply 2806/29/2012

Read your post again r29. You are most definitely an asshole. You're behaving exactly as I said you would, not ten minutes later.

But whatever. You're incapable of reason because of being altered. You're in serious trouble and nothing can be done for you until you figure it out on your own.

The drug is severely over prescribed in this country for ADD, which is rare. Those millions of college students and children shouldn't be taking it.

Best of luck to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3006/29/2012

Story on ABC Nightly News this week about how its use has become a HUGE trend among young want-it-all mommies. Supposedly some serious side effects after using it for a while. Although it does enable people to do a lot, juggle a lot, without a lot of stress, at first.

by Anonymousreply 3106/29/2012

You mean you've been snorting speed every morning r34? I'd say you have a problem. Get help tapering off. You need to find out if the amount you're used to could cause problems if you quit cold turkey.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3511/09/2013

I have a mid-twenties coworker who is literally dependent on Adderall in order to function. She's such an Adderall junkie that she complains when the pharmacy gives her a certain brand of generic.

That said - she is always irritable, eats nothing, and SMELLS awful. I know it causes excessive sweating but she smells like she never bathes. And because she is always on a speed high, she has no self-control and will literally babble on endlessly without any focus. And despite the drugs, she is completely disorganized in her personal life... forgetting to pay bills, not charging her cell phone, etc.

So have fun OP, losing weight while simultaneously frightening people off by smelling like a homeless person and being cranky.

by Anonymousreply 3611/09/2013

Diet drugs?

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?!?!

by Anonymousreply 3911/09/2013

You all know that amphetamines are the main reason why Kirstie Alley and Delta Burke got so fat, right?

They were both on the stuff for years to stay thin, and then it stopped working (at least at the dosage that wouldn't kill them outright). And then the rebound effect was permanent weight gain. Delta Burke wrote about this in her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 4011/09/2013

OP = Lindsay Lohan.

Linds, stay on the coke: it's much more fun and I just got a new batch straight from Mexico, you just won't shut up on and about it.

by Anonymousreply 4111/09/2013

OP: Wondering if that's an issue? It's a narcotic. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 4311/09/2013

I'm shocked that the FDA is allowing drug companies to market Abilify (an antipsychotic) as a 'boost' to antidepressants.

If you're antidepressant isn't working, then stop taking it. Antipsychotics have terrible side effects in some people. The idea that it needs the boost of another drug is scientifically preposterous. Either it is effective or it's not.

The drug companies are using us as guinea pigs.

by Anonymousreply 4411/09/2013

OP? My anti-depressant is NOT an SSRI, and it helps me sleep. It's called nefazodone, and it's a chemical cousin of trazodone, often prescribed as a sleep aid. Don't take it if you have had any issues with your liver, but I've been taking it since 2000 with no ill effects. I sleep well and I haven't been suicidal for YEARS. You have to ask for it, though -- it had a black box warning because a couple of people (statistically insignificant) turned up with liver failure.

As for the Adderall to lose weight, I suggest a movie: Requiem for a Dream. Watch and learn, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.