Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The TV Show 'Community'

It might just be the best show on network television. Why isn't it a bigger hit? It reminds me of shows like 'Arrested Development' and 'The Comeback' in that mainstream audiences didn't get the joke.

by Anonymousreply 10007/08/2013

Don't like it, and don't like people telling me I'm stupid and don't get the joke because I don't like it. It's not funny!

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2012

I caught an episode Friday and it's a remarkably well oiled ensemble for a brand new show. I hope the stigma of being an off-season network experiment won't hurt its chances come the fall.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2012

I love Alison Brie, and wanted to like this show, but I can't. It's just not funny.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2012

The self-referential wankery got to be too much for me in the last season but I still really love this show. Every main character and major supporting character is played by a really great comic actor and I'm right in the target audience for most of the annoying nerd bait, so I can't get too mad at it.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2012

It's clever but not funny.

"Community’s characters are a mixed bag of unlikable traits (self-absorbed, close minded, petty) – which is usually great fodder for jokes – but there’s no “straight man” to balance them out. Each character is stranger than the next so there's no pay-off. I guess their combined weirdness is supposed to elevate the study group to some higher level of existence. The group dynamic in Community, to steal a phrase from Family Guy, insists upon itself. And it’s exhausting."

"There has to be a character with heart to guide the wackiness; someone with more than a quip and a wink. I just have no attachment to any of them."

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2012

[quote]it's a remarkably well oiled ensemble for a brand new show.

Brand new????? Not hardly.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2012

It will probably be a ratings winner if it had a laugh-track.

If Seinfeld was a single cam sitcom the audience would find them annoying then laughed at them.

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2012

The 1st season had some brilliant moments. The 2nd season still had some great moments, though it didn't really live up to expectations. Didn't figure out why Chevy stayed in the wheelchair, unless they just wanted him out of the storyline.

The 3rd season felt like the writers were on some kind of odd drugs. Abed split into 2 characters, and his dreamatorium seemed more like a sanitarium. All the characters were suspected of being mentally insane in more than one episode. John Goodman ran an evil air conditioning school, which I didn't get. The pillow/blanket fort documentary was not enough of a storyline to last 2 episodes.

The show still has great potential. They need to stop relying on the odd gags that would probably be much funnier on late night TV.

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2012

I would probably bet cash money that Chevy being stuck in the wheelchair all those episodes was entirely a result of his feud with Dan Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2012

The "feud" was a lame attempt to get publicity for their dying show. There never was any "feud". And the publicity ploy failed as the ratings continued to tank.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2012

I can understand not liking the show, but some of you seem angry with it. Why?

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2012

I appreciate that the network is trying something different but this show just isn't funny or entertaining. Is it over yet?

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2012

There are some astonishingly stupid people on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2012

[quote]There has to be a character with heart to guide the wackiness; someone with more than a quip and a wink. I just have no attachment to any of them.

This can describe Happy Endings as well. But that is just a much better show. They are able to succeed where Community Fails.

Community is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2012

I like Happy Endings.

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2012

The feud with Chevy was real. Dan Harmon was fired.

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2012

[quote]There has to be a character with heart to guide the wackiness; someone with more than a quip and a wink. I just have no attachment to any of them.

Yes, because if it is formulaic, it's too confusing for my little brain to process.

by Anonymousreply 1706/27/2012

It's good, but it's no Parks & Recreation.

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2012

I loved the first two seasons, but I agree with R8 that it went off the rails at times this year - that dreamatorium episode was terrible.

I think it's one of those cases where a show starts playing to its nerdy, passionate fanbase. In the process, it becomes more obnoxious and provokes the internet fans to become even more stridently annoying.

The cast is brilliant - especially Gillian Jacobs & Alison Brie - and I hope that the new showrunners can illustrate that without just using self-referential in-jokes.

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2012

It didn't capitalize on Chevy's talent.

I like the video game episode. It was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2006/27/2012

Whenever there's a thread about community on the DL it gets hardly any comments. I think there are 4 of us on here who enjoy it and I think that's reflective of the rest of the public. Personally i think Community's problem is that it's very niched, it's pretty much aimed a college age demographic who get meta references and know what a "shipper" is. My friends are only in their 30s but they feel it's too young for them.I think its main problem is that it's whole premise is an in joke and most people aren't in on it.

Plus they're doing nothing with Chevys character. Chevy used to play guys like the Jeff character, but since they've given that cynical smart ass character to Joel Mchale there's nothing for chevy to do, since that's really his only forte. And the Shirley character could be more fleshed out. Shes a hypocritical christian, we get it. Now what? It's a good show, a lot better than Happy Endings but not a good as Arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2012

I think I like the concept of it and the actors involved more than the actual show.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2012

I agree they could do more with Shirley. Maybe make her more sassy.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2012

I love Shirley. She's my favorite, followed by Jeff, then Annie.

by Anonymousreply 2406/27/2012

Pop Pop

by Anonymousreply 2506/27/2012

The audience can't seem to connect or relate to any of the characters..Modern Family,The Middle and malcolm in the middle are the only successful single cam sitcoms and they are all geared towards family.

by Anonymousreply 2606/27/2012

I love this show,...lots of references to popular culture might make it hard for some people.

But Even if you don't get the pop culture ...it is very funny.

by Anonymousreply 2706/27/2012

It's become too Reddit-y.

by Anonymousreply 2806/27/2012

r28, that is the perfect description of what's wrong with it. But I feel like I should defend it by mentioning that it somehow became my 57-year-old father's favorite sitcom and he thinks it's the only time Chevy Chase has ever been funny. I'll be sorry to see it go just because I think Danny Pudi is really funny and talented and after it's over he'll probably be relegated to main-character's-tertiary-friend parts in Judd Apatow movies.

by Anonymousreply 2906/27/2012

I think Joel McHale is the problem - he's not strong or likable enough to centre the show. Put Jason Bateman in there and the rest of the actors would have a strong axis around which to rotate.

by Anonymousreply 3006/27/2012

What joke?

by Anonymousreply 3106/27/2012

I'm 56 and I love it...

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2012

I would watch Shirley read the phonebook. The actress who plays her has a funny twitter feed. She calls people out who confuse her with black actresses that look nothing like her (it seems to happen often) and sweetly informs the occasional idiot who asks her if she was on Good Times that she was 7 at the time of its airing.

by Anonymousreply 3306/29/2012

New speculation...

Community won't be premiering on Friday, Oct. 19th as originally announced. Rather, it might take the place of one of the other struggling NBC shows that get pulled from the schedule.

According to the attached, both Guys With Kids and Animal Practice may be short-lived. But the article gives the impression that NBC might think about shelving or moving 30 Rock and Up All Night depending on how the next week of ratings look for those shows.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2012

[quote]There are some astonishingly stupid people on DL.

Not stupid, as much as afflicted with awful, elderly taste. This thread is full of them, starting with R1.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2012

Perhaps if we all banded together and organized a campaign to get more people to join the millions and millions of Americans that aren't watching 'Guys With Kids,' we could get the rating so low that NBC would officially pull the plug.

That's how we will get Community back on the schedule.

by Anonymousreply 3610/18/2012

Random trivia: the guy who plays Magnitude was also one of the kids in the Harry Potter movies.

by Anonymousreply 3710/18/2012

Pop Pop!

by Anonymousreply 3810/18/2012

The will end up being appreciated when its over like AD and MITM

by Anonymousreply 3910/18/2012

I'll keep watching as long as there's a chance of Joel McHale taking his shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 4010/18/2012

Looking forward to this season.

by Anonymousreply 4110/18/2012

Hate that Joel McHale endlessly plugs it on The Soup. Yeah, we get it, you scored a network sitcom because of your Soup gig. As a result, The Soup has reeeeally gone down the shitter. And Community just isn't that good.

by Anonymousreply 4210/18/2012

NBC finally announced season premiere date.

New episodes start February 7th.

by Anonymousreply 4310/30/2012

Jesus....February?

by Anonymousreply 4410/30/2012

I thought for sure it would get an earlier start because NBC would replace some other lame show on their schedule (Hello, Guys With Kids) with it, but they really take every opportunity show how little faith they have in Community.

by Anonymousreply 4510/30/2012

Chevy Chase is finally done with the show. It probably won't have much impact though. He's already filmed most of the upcoming shortened season, and the show will be lucky to be renewed again.

I like his crusty Pierce character, but she show will not feel all that different without him there.

by Anonymousreply 4611/21/2012

Chevy Chase was always the weakest link. You can always tell when CC sabatoges a scene with his shameless (and very unfunny) mugging. Community would have been perfection without him.

by Anonymousreply 4711/27/2012

I have a friend who is familiar with the set, so I've heard plenty of stories.

Dan Harmon is like a lot of other aging comic writers/actors/standups. He's a mean, bitter asshole, but there is still some good in there.

Chevy Chase is just an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4811/28/2012

Up.

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2012

It's back on next week!

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

Another fan here. Happy to have it back!

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

I used to really like Community, but to be honest, its obnoxious fanbase has really alienated me to the show. It didn't help that the back half of the third season really went downhill while everyone on the internet gave each of its episodes an A+++

I liked the ingenuity at first, but not every episode has to be a concept episode.

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

Is the Dean guy actually gay?

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

Joel was funny on Letterman last night. Apparently he was on the View this morning too, but I didn't record it.

One thing he mentioned that I'd forgotten about. Since the new season of Community was supposed to start last October, they have a Halloween and Christmas episode in the can. We'll see both of them some time this winter/spring. That will be fun because I don't like that we only ever see the Christmas episodes of shows during December.

by Anonymousreply 5402/07/2013

I think the show is worse than ever. I was hoping that Dan Harmon splitting wouldn't have had such a noticeable affect on the output. It seems like they are only pushing the wild and bizarre aspects of the program, and not at all focused on keeping the dialog clever or funny.

And I think the ratings are reflecting that I'm not the only long time fan that is losing faith in the program.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

Agreed. HUGE fan of the show show here, but it's not the same show now. I can't put my finger on it. But something is either missing or something unnecessary has been added? It's just not as funny or weird. It feels like an imitation of COMMUNITY.

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

Joel McHale gives me a huge boner, that's enough to keep me watching!

And Donald Glover's naked bubble butt on the bloopers is wank worthy!

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

Really, people think Joel McHale is hot? He makes Gale Harold look sexy. Some of you queens here just love vanilla, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

Joel McHale has trollface.

by Anonymousreply 5903/05/2013

Joel McHale is SUPER hot. So is Donald Glover, damn! But the show is genius pure and simple. It will go down as a comedy on the level of AD.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2013

This show is the comedic equivalent of "Lost" - there's nothing there. It's masturbation for the geeky 'meta' crowd.

by Anonymousreply 6103/05/2013

I want Troy and Abed to fuck. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

The problem with the show now is that Abed has become a gimmick, much like Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" is. They were funny in the first season and their geekiness was endearing and amusing but it wears thin when the writers latch onto it and rely on that weirdness to drive the shows' respective storylines.

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2013

What's wrong with masturbation for the geeky meta crowd?

by Anonymousreply 6403/09/2013

Just saw the Thanksgiving episode and it had the best elements of the show -- absurdity mixed with heart.

by Anonymousreply 6503/11/2013

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 6603/11/2013

NBC’s Community (1.0/3) found itself down 23% from last week to tie a series low.

by Anonymousreply 6704/26/2013

I stopped reading this thread when a poster upstream referred to Chevy Chase's "talent."

Community is a great show, loved the animated Xmas ep.

Chevy Chase is still a no-talent hack. Him being on TV IS the joke.

by Anonymousreply 6804/26/2013

I had hoped that it would still be OK after they fired Dan Harmon but the last 5 or 6 eps were essentially unwatchable, imo. I don't mind the animated gimmicks or the puppetry but I do not understand why they keep trying musical sequences because only two of the actors have half-decent singing voices.

by Anonymousreply 6904/26/2013

Will there be a paint ball episode this year?

I actually just started watching the show about 2 months ago. Amazon had the first three seasons on sale for like $12/each. I was home with a nasty case of the flu and had a marathon of Community. I was instantly addicted and loved it. Trying to watch the new season on NBC is torture. Hardly the same show at all. What happened?

Best episode = The group plays Dungeons & Dragons with that fat guy.

by Anonymousreply 7004/26/2013

The D&D episode is my favorite too, r70. The reason it sucks now is because the producers fired the shows creator/writer/director Dan Harmon.

It's like when Aaron Sorkin was fired as head writer of West Wing. After he left the whole tone of the show changed for the worse: got so boring and serious, lost all levity.

But there are only 8 total episodes of season 4, I believe, before Community ends for good - at this point that's a blessing. We'll always have seasons 1-3.

by Anonymousreply 7104/26/2013

This show went downhill after Harmon got the boot. So sad. It's like a pale imitation of what it was. And yet I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what's off about it.

That said, the actors playing Abed and Troy were amazing last night. Really good, subtle work.

by Anonymousreply 7204/26/2013

Donald Glover was incredible playing Abed last night. I don't think Danny Pudi did as well playing Troy, but it was still a great character switch.

And Jim Rash was amazing imitating Joel McHale's Jeff. And a surprisingly hot body under that shirt. I'm still enjoying the show a lot even though you can tell it's a runaway train.

by Anonymousreply 7304/26/2013

Oh and I was surprised at how nice Joel's singing voice was in that puppet episode.

by Anonymousreply 7404/26/2013

I got the joke....it just wasn't funny enough to continue on and on and on...

by Anonymousreply 7504/26/2013

This was my favorite show for three seasons. I've given up now. I hope it gets canceled.

by Anonymousreply 7604/26/2013

[quote]And Jim Rash was amazing imitating Joel McHale's Jeff.

Remember the one where they are trying to film a new infomercial for Greendale.

McHale played the Dean and it was spot-on!

by Anonymousreply 7704/26/2013

Is Chevy Chase even on this anymore?

The origins episode was brillaint.

by Anonymousreply 7805/04/2013

I still like it just fine.

by Anonymousreply 7905/04/2013

It's dead in the water now. Next week will be the last ep of the series.

by Anonymousreply 8005/04/2013

It's still enjoyable although it's not a must see anymore. And I really loathe the little pep talk Jeff has to give the study group each and every episode, usually about togetherness or friendship or helping one another. Ugh. Barf.

by Anonymousreply 8105/05/2013

Will it be renewed?

by Anonymousreply 8205/05/2013

It seems so contrived. Trying too hard to be cultishly great like Arrested Development.

by Anonymousreply 8305/05/2013

Me too r62, me too!

by Anonymousreply 8405/05/2013

Renewed for Season 5 bitches!!! Yay!!

by Anonymousreply 8505/10/2013

5 years at community college?

by Anonymousreply 8605/10/2013

#6seasonsandamovie

by Anonymousreply 8705/11/2013

Wonder how many episodes for season 5?

by Anonymousreply 8805/11/2013

[quote]It might just be the best show on network television.

Or it might not.

by Anonymousreply 8905/11/2013

....this is what they like.

by Anonymousreply 9005/11/2013

I hope it's a full roster of episodes this time!

by Anonymousreply 9105/11/2013

In a repeat from last year, NBC‘s perennial bubble comedy Community just snagged a 13-episode renewal.

There have been some significant changes on the show over the past 12 months though. When NBC renewed the show last May, it still had creator Dan Harmon as showrunner and Chevy Chase as co-star. Immediately after the upfronts, Harmon was replaced with David Guarascio and Moses Port. Then in November, Chase too departed.

The bitter feud between Chase and Harmon was a major factor in destabilizating of the show for a couple of seasons, leading to public outbursts and profane voice messages.

Now that Chase is gone, emotions have cooled down and all sides involved have had time to reflect, there is speculation that Harmon may come back, especially if this turns out to be Community‘s final chapter. (I’d heard that, with the show’s future at NBC in limbo, there were a number of suitors clamoring to pick up Community for a final installment.) There are no deals in place but I hear there certainly is interest in bringing Harmon back in some capacity.

by Anonymousreply 9205/15/2013

It's no "Who's The Boss".

by Anonymousreply 9305/15/2013

Holy crap!

Dan Harmon might be coming back to take control of his show again.

by Anonymousreply 9405/29/2013

Clearly they recognized that replacing Harmon neither improved the show, nor made it more accessible to a bigger audience, so why not bring him back and at least have it be done properly.

by Anonymousreply 9505/29/2013

Harmon is definitely coming back, per his twittering.

by Anonymousreply 9606/02/2013

Good news, I hope!

by Anonymousreply 9706/03/2013

After several weeks of negotiations, Community producer Sony Pictures TV just confirmed that there are deals in place for series creator/former showrunner Dan Harmon and former co-exec producer Chris McKenna to returning as executive producers for Season 5.

The studio is not saying that the 13-season fifth season will be the cult comedy’s final installment though that’s what I’ve been hearing.

Harmon announced his return to the show via Twitter a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 9806/10/2013

Harmon really could use a crash course on professionalism. But sometimes creative types never get there.

by Anonymousreply 9906/18/2013

Well, it's going to suck at least as much as it did last season.

by Anonymousreply 10007/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.