Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My Three Sons

One of the most hugely popular sitcoms in America throughout the Sixties, and constantly in reruns in syndication in the 1970s. You NEVER hear people talk about it on Datalounge, though everyone here over a certain age grew up with it.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 9011/12/2012

Oldest son and mouseketeer Don Grady was so dreamy!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 106/22/2012

I never could tell why it kept running--by the time it ended it was almost completely changed from its original conception. Fred MacMurray was married to Beverly Garland and raising a horrible five year-old stepdaughter; Robbie and Chip had both married and had kids and were practically never on the show; Don Grady and William Frawley were long gone. And Fred MacMurray hated working with children so much he had made sure for the final few years he almost never actually appeared in a shot with any child actors (they were always filmed separately via alternating head shots).

And yet MacMurray was incredibly bitter when the series was finally cancelled, and begged Fred Silverman personally not to do it.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 206/22/2012

He had a recording career too?

'The Children Of St. Monica'??!!

I'm off to YouTube right now.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 306/22/2012

Fred MacMurray had a very sweet schedule, so it's no wonder he didn't want the show to be cancelled. Every few weeks he'd come in for a couple days, film all his scenes for three or four episodes, then be off for another month. That was for six months of the year. For the other six months, the show wasn't shooting at all.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 406/22/2012

Wow! Wili tells me he wrote the theme tune for Donahue.

That's a pile of money in residuals right there.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 506/22/2012

Don Grady is the brother of the late Lani O'Grady from [italic]Eight Is Enough.[/italic]

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 606/22/2012

The original older brother was Tim Considine. He quit the show and they replaced him with that dopey looking kid who was the youngest brother's friend. He was adopted by the dad on the show to keep the title.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 706/22/2012

The best thing about My Three Sons was that it introduce me to William Demarest.

"Listen, Zipper-puss! Some day they're just gonna find your hair ribbon and an axe someplace. Nothing else! The Mystery of Morgan's Creek!"

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 806/22/2012

[quote]Fred MacMurray had a very sweet schedule, so it's no wonder he didn't want the show to be cancelled. Every few weeks he'd come in for a couple days, film all his scenes for three or four episodes, then be off for another month. That was for six months of the year.

Brian Keith had the same deal on "Family Affair." They'd shoot all his scenes at one point during the year, then he'd take off to do movies while the rest of the cast shot all the rest of the scenes in which he didn't appear.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 906/22/2012

Wasn't Katie one of the Edwin Hawkins Singers?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1106/22/2012

Don Grady in pajamas.

(droooooool).

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1206/22/2012

Tina Cole was a member of The King Family

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1306/22/2012

R11 see R13.

I had a crush on Tina Cole. One of the thrills of my gay youth was meeting her when she appeared in my city for a telethon. I gave her a gift and she signed my autograph book. I was a gay boy nerd for sure.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1406/22/2012

I'd be a good man to have around the house...

Mike was the only hot one.

Don Grady is the brother of the late Lani O'Grady of "Eight is Enough."

Dawn Lyn who played the dumb Dodie, was the real life sister of Leif Garrett.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1506/22/2012

Don Grady aged like fine wine. Even Ernie is nerd cute.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1606/22/2012

It's a little scary that Tina Cole still has her exact same hairdo.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1706/22/2012

It's a little scary that she still has her exact same face!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1806/22/2012

They all seemed to survive like normal people. How nice!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 1906/22/2012

I adored The King Family Show!!!

Do they ever do reunions? I'd love to see how some of those King Cousins turned out.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2006/22/2012

I loved " My Three Sons". It was good family camp. They are so white bread. And I agree with R8. William Demarest was a great character actor-still the best part of "The Lady Eve". I too had a crush on Don Grady. I love the esipode where Robbie has two dates at the same time. And I loved his wife on the show.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2106/22/2012

They should put it on tv. Kids would love it

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2206/22/2012

You'll have to excuse r22: he's getting a little senile.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2306/22/2012

MeTV currently airs it,I wish they'd show the first 5 seasons,I always liked Bud over Uncle Charlie although William Frawley was basically playing the same grouchy persona that he was playing when he was Fred Mertz.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2406/22/2012

Ah,,,,Bub not Bud.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2506/22/2012

What amazes me most about the perpetually open-mouthed, unlovable Dawn Lyn (probably the most unpleasant TV child actor ever) is not just got cast but that two networks actually fought over her: she was the original Prudence in the pilot "Nanny and the Professor," but when it wasn;t picked up at first she was cast in "My Three Sons" for CBS. But then ABC picked up "Nanny and the Professor," they begged to have her released from her CBS contract, and ABC even unsuccessfully sued CBS! CBS held firm, so they cast Kim Richards (of Real Housewives of Beverly hills fame) as Prudence instead.

Here's Dawn Lyn in all her quasi-retarded glory at @9:34.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2606/22/2012

This one was before my time though they showed the reruns when I was growing up. It was soooo boring. Fred MacMurray was about as interesting as your average history professor and the kids on the show never got to act like real kids. For a house full of men they did absolutely nothing to bring out the gay in me.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2706/23/2012

Back on the old Jump the Shark website the My Three Sons page was bombarded with messages saying that Dawn Lynn as Dodi was the worst child actress playing the worst child character in the history of television. People went to town trashing poor Dodi.

Then Dawn Lynn herself wrote a post. She took everyone to task for their gratuitous cruelty. She stated that her experience and her memories of MY THREE SONS were 100% positive and that none of us Negative Nancys could take that away from her. (She didn't use that phrase but her tone was both hurt and scolding.)

Well! People were falling over themselves to apologize, although some were frank enough to state that they still hated her work but were sorry they hadn't considered her feelings when writing before.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2806/23/2012

Dawn is Leif Garretts sister... or step sister...

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 2906/23/2012

[quote]What amazes me most about the perpetually open-mouthed, unlovable Dawn Lyn (probably the most unpleasant TV child actor ever)

I respectfully disagree. For me, the most annoying tv child actor would be Ashley Johnson. Way too 'clever' for someone her age and a voice that always sounded like she had sinus problems. Bah, she made me nuts!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3006/23/2012

Stop talkin' 'bout my girlfriend, R30!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3106/23/2012

These posts make me realize now how truly long this show aired.

I was an avid watcher in the beginning and loved the entire premise, the opening theme song, watching Bill Frawley play a variation on Fred Mertz, continuing my adoration of Tim Considine from his Spin and Marty and Hardy Boys fame and, of course, falling head over heels in love with Don Grady.

But I guess I stopped watching fairly quickly after Tim left the series and FRawley died.

I barely rememeber Beverly Garland and Tina Cole joining the show and have absolutuely no memory of this Dawn child you're all going on about.

But I do recall William Demarest's hideous wg so I guess I stuck around for a few seasons.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3206/23/2012

Hey, what about me!?!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3306/23/2012

The boy who played Chip Douglas was homely, but he had such a lovely speaking voice.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3406/23/2012

Did it switch networks at some point? The reason I ask is because I remember watching it in syndication which only started with the colour episodes (after Tim is married and Ernie comes to live with them). Only later did I learn that there were earlier seasons. The same thing happened with Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Later, the earlier Black and White seasons of I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched were colourized and broadcast on TV land and such, but not My Three Sons.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3506/23/2012

I'm watching the episode at R26's link. Who's Beverly Garland's friend at the table? She looks like Monica Breedlove from The Bad Seed.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3606/23/2012

Yes, R35. The B&W episodes aired on ABC. The show moved to CBS in 1965 because ABC wouldn't spring for its conversion to color.

There was never any need to colorize the older episodes because the show ran for so long that there were so many color episodes in existence. Besides, the B&W years with Tim Considine and William Frawley are so different in look and feel from the color ones that they're practically a different series.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3706/23/2012

Something I bet you've never noticed about the iconic theme music for 'My Three Sons':

The musical backing is an arrangement of 'Chopsticks'.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3806/23/2012

Answering my own question at R36, since the uploaded included the end credits of the episode. Beverly's mother is played by Eleanor Audley, the voice of Maleficent from "Sleeping Beauty". Evelyn Varden was the actress who played Monica Breedlove, and was long dead before this episode of "My Three Sons" was filmed.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 3906/23/2012

I remember it being boring too.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4106/23/2012

I remember an episode where Dodie is bullied by Erin Moran..

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4206/23/2012

The show had a certain innocent charm to it.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4306/23/2012

Don Grady was a sweetheart. He would appear around the country in shows - liked to smoke pot and always was friendly with the natives. Straight.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4406/23/2012

Don Grady was my first TV crush as a child. I was jealous of Katie.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4506/23/2012

Eldergay TV Series. Never heard of it.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4606/23/2012

Had crushes on both Tim Considine and Don Grady when I was a mere child. But Don Grady was definitely the sexier of the two--sexy face and body!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4706/23/2012

Didn't Helen Lawson do a few episodes of Katie's Aunt Fran?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4806/23/2012

Eleanor Audley at r36 was one of the most popular and hard-working character actresses in film and TV in the 1950s and 60s, almost always playing rich, snobby, scandalized gossip-mongers.

You never knew her name but always recognized her face (and voice!).

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 4906/23/2012

I went to the same junior high as "Ernie" and "Chip" -- Millikan Jr. High in the San Fernando Valley. My friend from seventh grade, Sandy, had a crush on Ernie, who worked in the health office, for one period a day. He was very shy and had buck teeth and a bowl haircut. She used to drop notes to him when he was at his locker.

MTS was admittedly square, during a time of great societal change. There was something comforting about it.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5006/23/2012

In the opening scene where Fred MacMurray is backing out of the driveway at the same time as the neighbor across the street, the actor backing toward MacMurray, Joe Cranston, is the father of Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle, Breaking Bad).

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5206/23/2012

She's not a kid now r51, and she wasn't a kid when anything was posted about her on the internet

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5306/23/2012

Won't somebody PLEASE think about the children???

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5406/23/2012

R51 is tedious. Good lord.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5506/23/2012

Remember toward the end of the series when it finally dawned on Steve Douglas that he had all these people in his house and he was only actually related to Chip and Robbie.

Then he got mad and tossed, his wife, the tard, Uncle Charlie, Ernie, Polly, Katie, and her three kids and the dog out of the house

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5606/24/2012

I could never stand this show and I am old enough to remember it. It was boring and not very well written or acted. Well, Demerest was funny. Also I may have been influenced by the fact that my mother never cared for Fred MacMurray.

Beaver was a much better show with better stories. Even Father Knows Best was better. I am also fond of the Donna Reed Show because she looked and acted like my mother.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5706/24/2012

Wouldn't it be hot if Mike and Robbie were like in their underwear and Bub says, "Why don't you boys take your shirts off and wrestle."

And then they do and when Mike gets Robbie in a headlock they start to kiss

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5806/24/2012

I remember an article back in the day featuring Dawn Lynn. One of the quotes was, "I have an adult talent!" The horror has stayed with me all these years.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 5906/24/2012

[quote]One of the quotes was, "I have an adult talent!"

She was in an adult film.

Wouldn't it be hot if Dawn's brother Leif and Robbie made out?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6006/24/2012

You people all seem jealous and like to make up lies about these actors. Sad.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6107/02/2012

I just visited Tina Cole's (Katie) Facebook page. Her photos are filled with she and Don Grady. She mentioned in an interview that the two of them nearly married twice in real life. I'm wondering if she still held a candle toward him even though they ended up with other people.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6208/12/2012

Speaking of Kim Richards I was shocked to learn she is the aunt of Paris Hilton. Her sister is the mother of Paris.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6308/12/2012

R63 - what does Kim Richards have to do with My Three Sons?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6408/12/2012

Every gay man wants to BE Katie Douglas.

If you have Madonna's Bedtime Stories CD, the song was originally called, "I'd Rather Be Tina Cole."

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6508/13/2012

Someone needs to start a thread about My Three Son's sister show, Family Affair.

If you didn't want to be Tina Cole, surely you wanted to be Kathy Garver AND own a Mrs Beasley doll.

And besides Uncle Bill was HOT

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6608/13/2012

Fred MacMurray what a good man and what a great actor, he should not be forgotten.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6711/11/2012

Don Grady's hole was really hairy

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6811/11/2012

The actor who played Ernie was in Social Network looking upset that Mark Zuckerberg was running rings around his intellect.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 6911/11/2012

Fred MacMurray was dandy indeed!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7011/11/2012

Fred MacMurray would sic the Sonoma County Sherrif on all the gay boys crossing his land to have sex at Wohler Bridge. Everyone in the county thought he was a cheap, bitter bastard.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7111/11/2012

MacMurray was homophobic? Really?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7211/11/2012

Tina Cole went to my high school, but she's nine years older than I am, so I never knew her.

Don Fedderson created/produced both My Three Sons and Family Affair, and one of his sons is Mike Minor, who was Steve on Petticoat Junction.

I guess we don't get to see the earlier (Bub) episodes because they were in black and white.

Barry Livingston seems to pop up in bit parts on a lot of TV shows.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7311/11/2012

I remember being fascinated by the episode where Robby takes ballet lessons so he can make the track team. When he appeared in his ballet tights I thought he had the biggest bulge I had EVER seen. I just watched it here and he must be really strapped down or had tinymeat! lol

The ass and legs look nice, though.

(He first appears in his tights around 9:05 mark)

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7411/11/2012

Tina Cole was a member of The King Family

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7511/11/2012

[quote]Here's Dawn Lyn in all her quasi-retarded glory at @9:34.

I love you r26

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7611/11/2012

Captain Marvel (Shazam!) was facially based on Fred MacMurray.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7711/11/2012

r7 is correct, Tim Considine played the eldest son (can't remember what year he left the show) and a few years later in 1970 played the soldier slapped by George C. Scott in Patton. My Three Sons was definitely better its first few years--I have nothing against William Demarest but William Frawley as Bub was much better--he must have been at loose ends as to how to keep his liquor cabinet well stocked after leaving I Love Lucy until My Three Sons came along in the early 60s. After William Frawley and Tim Considine left the show rapidly went downhill and became a bore.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7811/11/2012

It's funny that after Tim Considine's character(Mike Douglas!) got married at the beginning of season 6 (1965) they rarely even mentioned him again, much less saw him.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 7911/11/2012

Nobody remembers the commercial when the boys sucked a tomato into the Hunt's Catsup bottle?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8011/11/2012

So, why did Tim C. leave the show? Always thought he was hot. However, not as sexy as Don Grady! He was such a stud when he was young!

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8111/11/2012

RE: A Family Affair, Mr. French was one hot bear daddy....ooohhhh yeah....

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8211/11/2012

My guess r81 is that he (Tim C.) may have wanted to get into movies or something--branch out somehow. Maybe he thought his My Three Sons character as an early 20 something still living with his father was a little unrealistic? Just some guesses....maybe one of us can look in Wikipedia and get back?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8311/11/2012

[quote]It's funny that after Tim Considine's character(Mike Douglas!) got married at the beginning of season 6 (1965) they rarely even mentioned him again, much less saw him.

The "Happy Days" people did the same to me. I went upstairs and they totally forgot I lived there.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8411/11/2012

R82 Puh-leeze! We know you only watched it because you coveted Buffy's Mrs. Beasley doll.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8511/12/2012

[quote]William Frawley as Bub was much better--he must have been at loose ends as to how to keep his liquor cabinet well stocked after leaving I Love Lucy until My Three Sons came along in the early 60s.

Frawley went directly from The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour into My Three Sons in 1960. He could have retired easily after Lucy. But actors like to act and Frawley must have been tickled pink to become a household name late in life.

He only retired from M3S because the network couldn't get insurance on him any more. Insurance was essential for a show that shot entire seasons piecemeal in order to accommodate Fred MacMurray's limited shooting schedule. They couldn't easily write out Bub if Frawley had died mid-season because each whole season was scripted in advance.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8611/12/2012

If you had a crush on Don Grady, you must see R74's link. What a cute little ass on him.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8711/12/2012

What do you guys think about Fred MacMurray? You like him?

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8811/12/2012

Barry & Stanley Livingston were at the Chiller autograph show two weeks ago in Jersey and they looked really good.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 8911/12/2012

Chip had big dick face.

by Dodie (Dawn Lyn), a possible mongoloidreply 9011/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.