Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Moonrise Kingdom vs Safety Not Guaranteed

Which of these two would you see?

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

I plan to see both but if could only choose one it would be Moonrise Kingdom (seeing tomorrow) because I am a huge Wes Anderson fan.

by Anonymousreply 106/22/2012

Gay, I already risk preciosity, so I don't think Wes Anderson should be on my diet.

by Anonymousreply 206/22/2012

The trailer for Moonrise Kingdom almost sent me screaming from the theater, it was so "precious".

by Anonymousreply 306/22/2012

Moonrise Kingdom looks so saccharine. I got a toothache from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 406/22/2012

Safety Not Guaranteed

by Anonymousreply 506/22/2012

I saw Moonrise Kingdom. It was okay, but not nearly as good as I had expected. And I can't imagine why Frances McDormand and Edward Norton took those roles.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2012

I love Wes Anderson to pieces, so definitely Moonrise Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2012

I saw them both at the Seattle International Film Fest. SNG, def! Starts out funny, then deepens emotionally. The writer won the top scribbling prize at Sundance. I agree with the above posters. MK was mannered and self-consciously cute, imo. I prefer his previous effort, the "Darjeeling Express."

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2012

I have never liked any of Anderson's movies - too self involved. I hated that Darjeeling thing and despised Royal tannenbaum.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2012

Moonrise Kingdom is designed to be a meh mood. There was a lot of underused talent and it repeats themes from his previous films. See it on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I'd put it behind Royal Tennebaums, Fantastic Mr Fox, Life Aquatic, and Bottle Rocket all of which are in my top 50 movies. Darjeeling and Rushmore left me cold, too, but his "worst" movie is still better than 99% of what's out there.

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2012

I saw "Moonrise Kingdom." It was one of the worst movie experiences I ever had. It was just so BAD. I left the theater literally sick; I has a headache and a queasy stomach. The person I saw the movie with hated it, too.

For some reason, critics mostly loved this execrable movie. They used words like "charming" and "hilarious" to describe it. Well, I found it to be one of the most charmless movies I've even seen. And as for it being "hilarious"...well, at the screening I attended not one person laughed during the entire movie. I think I heard a few groans, thought.

The characters are all a bunch of unattractive, depressed losers who speak in lifeless, deadpan voices. Even the children seem like jaded adults. I've heard this is a typical device that Wes Anderson is known for.

I later found out this was a Wes Anderson movie, and that all his movies are relatively the same. I guess they're an acquired taste; he has some rabid, nutty fangurls who never get tired of talking about his "brilliance." I'll probably never watch another one of his movies again, especially since I found out he has a penchant for killing dogs in them.

by Anonymousreply 1107/06/2012

Oh please, OP. We all know you want to see Magic Mike. Stop pretending your "deep."

by Anonymousreply 1207/06/2012

I've seen and enjoyed both but would give the edge to Moonrise.

by Anonymousreply 1307/06/2012

I love Wes Anderson, and "Rushmore" remains one of my all-time favorite films, but "Moonrise Kingdom" sucked. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1407/06/2012

"I has a headache" "Thought"

So sorry! I HAD a headache. And it's "though" instead of "thought." I know how much typos like that annoy some people here; I'm glad I caught it before the proverbial "oh, dear" showed up.

by Anonymousreply 1507/07/2012

Moonrise Kingdom was a smug bore. At least the first 30 minutes was.

by Anonymousreply 1607/07/2012

I put Moonrise in the ranks of I heart Huckabees. Truly among the worst films ever made. The cinematography was dreary and dull, the overall film even worse.

by Anonymousreply 1707/07/2012

Except that I ♥ Huckabees is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I do not understand people that hate that movie. I imagine they must be really dull or something.

by Anonymousreply 1807/07/2012

"Safety" is a terrific film.

It was all I could do to sit through the trailer of "Moonrise" without gouging out my eyes and eardrums - what a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1907/09/2012

LOVED Safety Not Guaranteed. Best movie of the summer. Moonrise Kingdom, meh.

by Anonymousreply 2007/09/2012

Safety Not Guaranteed is stupendous.

[quote]The writer won the top scribbling prize at Sundance.

Well deserved. Great script. But yeah, let's not call it "scribbling."

by Anonymousreply 2107/09/2012

I loved "Safety Not Guaranteed." The first movie I've seen in a long time where the audience applauded at the end.

I will probably see "Moonrise Kingdom" but I do have some ambivalence about Wes Anderson. I loved "Rushmore" and I really enjoyed "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" but some of the others just made me cranky.

by Anonymousreply 2207/09/2012

"Moonrise Kingdom was a smug bore. At least the first 30 minutes was."

Take it from me: the whole damn movie was a smug bore.

I especially hated the two "lovers", two mentally disturbed characters who are are of 12 years old. In one scene they tentatively explore each other sexually and the 12 year old gets a hard-on. How sweet. BARF!

by Anonymousreply 2307/09/2012

I liked Huckabees, too.

by Anonymousreply 2407/09/2012

Huckabees is not an Anderson film....

by Anonymousreply 2507/09/2012

I hated MK until the last 30 minutes and thought movie got better. Francis was too old for role Tilda in makeup looks like Greer Garson Bill Murray looked like he had a foot and a half in the grave...

SNG is not playing in my hick town....

by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2012

I've seen Safety Not Guaranteed and loved it. A really wonderful script that totally upends your expectations and keeps you guessing while offering a thoroughly satisfying romance.

by Anonymousreply 2707/11/2012

Moonrise Kingdom was the most arch, cute, whimsical piece of crap around. Safety Not Guaranteed is actually a really good, well-written, and well-acted movie. No comparison.

by Anonymousreply 2807/28/2012

WAtch "A Little Romance" if you wish to see a truly moving film about pre-adolesence and love. This soul-less, precious, contrived, self-conscious "film" has nothing to do with an artistic or emotional experience.

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

I liked Safety not Guaranteed, and that's quite something, because I have a VERY difficult time watching Aubrey P.

Moonrise Kingdom had a pretty yellow tinge to it, and a few artistic gimmicks, but nothing more. It's overrated and pretty vapid, even if you account for stylization.

I don't know why so many hipster celebs sucked up to MK. Surely they'd seen better, what with all of them being accomplished cinephiles.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

I liked Safety better than MK. Just sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.