Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Modern Family is truly an awful depiction of gay men.

I've never watched it before tonight, watching a rerun and 5 minutes into it. They've completely stereotyped the gay couple.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 10205/21/2014

Mitchell obviously hates Cam, their whole partnership makes no sense. There is never any indication that Mitchell finds any of Cam's quirky personality cute or loveable. Instead, we get eyerolls over and over and his annoying Gay Voice.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 406/20/2012

Agreed, OP. So sick of str8s telling me I just HAVE to see this show, it's sooo hilarious! I've tried it more than once snd found it tiresome and clichéd. Just another piss-poor sitcom with gay characters that I feel no connection to...

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 506/20/2012

[quote] They've completely stereotyped the gay couple.

They often reverse the stereotypes though, which is quite funny.

(Generally, not that funny a show).

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 806/20/2012

I love the gay couple. Can't stand the straight married ones with the three kids. Especially the father. He's so corny he makes me cringe with second hand embarrassment.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 906/21/2012

r5, I've found that "You just HAVE to watch Modern Family!", when said to gays, is the new "I've watched Queer as Folk!" or "You don't like 'Will and Grace'? I watch it all the time!" when it comes to straights letting us know that they "get" us.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1206/21/2012

[quote]You obviously think gay people should be depicted as straight people who just happen to suck cock.

No Dear, I think gay people should be depicted as real people. Born and raised in NY, have lots of gay friends. Some smart, some funny, some kinda crazy and none cry on a dime or run around flailing their arms. These two characters are sad cliches and exactly want the straight world think we are.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1306/21/2012

Stepin' Fuckin' Fetchit Faggots, but, unlike the model, without the least hint of a sometimes subversive streak.

Watching a dog scoot on its hind legs wiping his dirty ass on the carpet for half an hour would be more entertaining than any part of this show, but the cliched simpering, hysterical faggots are a disgrace.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1406/21/2012

What do you like OP Noah's Ark?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1606/21/2012

What R13 said.

I'm not expecting the guys to be anything but real. Their coupling doesn't seem very real to me. And I'm not being anti-anything. I just think they've been neutered and oversimplified so as to be unthreatening to straights.

And as someone mentioned upthread, unless they said "these two are partners" I would get no sense that they are attracted to each other or that there was any sort of connection.

Of course, I also feel that way about Jay and Gloria, and for the same reasons - I seldom see the love between them and Gloria is seldom more than a punchline.

The two I believe when they are on screen are Phil and Claire.

A convincing, real gay couple with all their flaws and quirks can be done. These two, sorry, are not selling it.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1706/21/2012

The father is played by Ty Burr, r9. He is very talented and is open about his bisexuality. See interview at link.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1806/21/2012

Who dear? Me dear? Gay dear? NO! Dear!

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 1906/21/2012

Ty Burrell, r18, and we're still waiting for that link where he talks about his bisexuality.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2006/21/2012

[quote]Born and raised in NY

Well, that's your problem right there, r13.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2106/21/2012

[quote] gay characters that I feel no connection to...

Do you think all gay people have some common connection just because they are gay and you are gay?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2206/21/2012

[quote]Well, that's your problem right there

Judgmental much? No it's not my problem because I run into a myriad of gay people from all over the country, if not the world, and none of them act like stereotype of Mitchell & Cam.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2306/21/2012

Ty Burrell as a student back in the day; great legs...I'll say that much

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2406/21/2012

Is it still primetime if it is 24/7?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2506/21/2012

Thanks for the link where Ty Burr discusses his bisexuality.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2606/22/2012

They are the ugliest gay [male] couple I've ever seen.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2706/22/2012

Here's why this show is fucking awful.

Cam and Mitch having a second child was a major storyline.

It got turned into a goofy tellanovella.

Okay - it was kind of funny.

But this very emotional story was played for laughs, and ended up with...Gloria being pregnant.

What the fuck?

Consider than already they had a story where Mitch didn't give Lily her father's last name!

This show is bullshit. The end.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2806/22/2012

Here's a link where Ed O'Neill discusses his homosexuality.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 2906/22/2012

You don't get a successful comedy show by showing regular people doing regular stuff. You need stereotypes reacting to hilarity ensues situations.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3006/22/2012

Any couple with two men or two women as part of a larger family unit is rare on TV, but they are generally stereotypical so the audience is always aware they are watching "gay people."

During times of not being sexually active, by choice or not, gay people are expected to discuss their personal sexual interests at any time, in any setting.

"I'm not getting any lately, but when things pick up, it will still be a member of my own gender, fyi."

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3106/22/2012

Is no one familiar with the premise of sitcoms? Were the characters on Friends not all stereotypes of some sort? Is there really a Jenna from 30 Rock out there dating her drag impersonator? If you read any books about writing sitcoms they pretty much state implicitly that sitcom characters stereotypes and caricatures. Otherwise the inane situations they get in wouldn't make sense. Calm the fuck down and watch CNN if you want realism.

"Their relationship doesn't make sense. They don't like each other."

Ralph and Alice Kramden Lucy and Ricky Archie and Edith Sam and Diane Fran and Mr. Sheffield

Sitcom relationships thrive on conflict. It's actually pretty revolutionary to see the loudmouth emotional/ sarcastic wise cracking dynamic with gay men. Esp. since Cam is definitely the Lucy of the relationship but he's built like Ralph Kramden. I personally want to be treated by the media/culture just like our straight counterparts and that's exactly what's happening on Modern Family.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3306/22/2012

Oh hooray, another herd of apologays.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3406/22/2012

You're so defensive, OP, it's really sad and tired, and if you are R13 you're really taking this waaay to seriously. The problem is you - and the R13 claim "I'm from New York and know diverse gay people" is obnoxious.

The entire family is a parody of modern families, including the straight families. It's called a comedy. Both JTF's character and his sister are supposed to be spoiled difficult people who are lucky to be married and loved. That's the point of the show.

And if you don't think there are significant numbers of gay men like this you're nuts. The ones who have become as bad as straight people thinking their kids are adorable? And gay couples who don't act like they're in love? You're delusional if you think these guys don't exist. As part of a couple often grouped with other couples, being around them can be awkward and painful.

One more tip - if you actually watch the show, it may never be fitting to your sense of humor (which is questionable at this point). But if you don't find Eric Stonestreet's Cam lovable and see him as both embracing and challenging stereotypes, something is wrong with you

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3506/22/2012

To some of you - simply UNCLENCH.

Comedies that show the lives of any normal people - straight or gay - are boring. Eccentricity is more amusing.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3606/22/2012

Totally agree OP. It's desperately unfunny 1950s fairy shit. The UK comedy show Gimme Gimme Gimme had equally cheap writing with a fey gay character, but with none of the stereotyping...

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3706/22/2012

I know more gay men like Cam and Mitchell than not. And let me tell you, they're flesh and blood and human, unlike that hateful Jack on Will & Grace so many people around here used to love.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3806/22/2012

Are the actors gay? People are all different. I don't watch the show but couldn't there be a ay couple like this? Do you ever think straight men felt offended while watching Two and a Half men?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 3906/22/2012

Over the course of three seasons there have been many different nuances of the Cam and Mitchell relationship revealed. They finished off the season's bittersweet finale episode with a tender scene together.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 4006/22/2012

it's just lame, that's why i hate it. It's fine to laugh at gay people/ourselves. As long as it's funny. This show is trying too hard to be clever, like the writers really want the cool kids to laugh so they'll like you.

And that pretentious shaky camera thing is so tired, so Lars von Trier wannabee.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 4206/22/2012

I simply can't get into this show. I've tried.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 4508/16/2012

neither myself nor any of my gay friends are reflected on this show. just awful gay stereotypes perpetuated

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 4608/16/2012

It's so clearly hateful, OP. Especially considering Sofia Vergara's groundbreaking portrayal of a realistic, intelligent Latina, or Julie Bowen's sensitive and sympathetic depiction of a modern wife and mother.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 4708/16/2012

Well, for starters it places the nuclear family at the centre of all existence.

It's all about monogamy and crotch droppings, proving we're just like the frauen deep down inside.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 5410/17/2013

Yes, R56, there are boring people in the world. I am not interested in watching tv sitcoms devoted to them.

You say you don't watch this program either, so I am a bit baffled by your defence of its representations. Perhaps you are a frau, yourself.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 5710/17/2013

Ed O'Neill playing a gay, All Bundy-esque DILF would have been hotter.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6010/17/2013

The gay guys I know in my community are all sleeping around with each other and gossiping about each other behind their backs. That's when they're not acting like some exclusive club of high school girls. So, yeah, in that respect it is an inaccurate depiction of gay men. At least the ones I know.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6110/17/2013

The red haired gay can't stand the large gay. That they're in a relationship just fails to track, in every scene, in every episode. I think I gave MF up a couple of eps into its second season. I couldn't take the illogic.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6210/17/2013

I've tried to watch the show. I don't find it funny at all. I rather watch MTM or GG or All in the Family or Lucy reruns. I find those shows, especially the latter three LOL funny. Others probably wouldn't find them funny. To each his own.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6310/17/2013

It's that the actors have no chemistry and Mitchell seems to loathe Cam. Throw in a little girl playing their daughter who can't fucking act to save her life and it's a mess.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6410/17/2013

Is Eric Stonestreet into homosex?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6510/17/2013

Everything about that fucking show is repulsive.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6610/17/2013

I first noticed Burrell in the Dawn of the Dead remake and was sure he was gay. Also, he is looking very ashen and unwell this season.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 6910/17/2013

Has Stonestreet ever presented hole on screen?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 7010/17/2013

I totally thought Burell was gay in the "Dawn of the Dead" remake as well but his character was supposed to be straight. It was unconvincing.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 7110/17/2013

[quote] In episode one they're arrested for having sex on the balcony of a cruise ship!

I know you're joking, but that sounds like a hilarious idea for a sitcom.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 7710/21/2013

It's art imitating life... every example I pulled in jest, I pulled from threads here.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 7810/21/2013

I'd watch it, R78

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 7910/21/2013

Will there ever be a surprise anal storyline?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 8303/27/2014

Gay male characters on network TV do not have testicles. I'm convinced of this. They are sexless creatures. I wish they would reveal this with the gay characters. That would explain why gay characters do not show affection to each other.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 8603/27/2014

R88, it's weird, because it's the opposite with lesbians.. nudity, kissing, sex scenes.. all pretty common and accepted. But when it comes to gay men? Nah. The only acceptable way to depict gay men is to have them as neutered, sexless creatures. It's sad.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 8703/27/2014

Yep, you're right, R89.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 8803/27/2014

They are awful depiction of gay men because they are gay male couple who is sexless and show no affection to each other. That's the real reason.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 9203/27/2014

You made your point, R94.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 9403/27/2014

Good. Thank you.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 9503/27/2014

I had quite an interesting day your lordship, though there weren't quite enough of "our sort" about.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 9603/27/2014

Or maybe they're versatile. Or maybe Mitch is the top.

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 9903/27/2014

How come Shelley Long isn't in the wedding episodes?

by But I guess that gets the laughsreply 10005/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.