Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Another question about JUDY GARLAND

She was in such bad shape (ritalin, heroin, liquor - you name it) in her later years. Why didn't her managers,producers cancel the shows? Was it because money would have to be refunded? Is that why they let her go on in such sorry shape? A friend saw her in concert at Keil Opera House in St. Louis and Judy fell asleep during one of her numbers. This was late 1968 I believe.

by Anonymousreply 10003/19/2015

Heroin? I've never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2012

Presumably for the same reasons managers encourage Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan and (previously) Amy Winehouse to keep working instead of putting all their energy into getting clean...

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2012

R1-I believe it was mentioned in the David Shipman bio.

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2012

Re-visit the Michael Jackson comeback concert tour he was working on at his death. Same situation.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2012

Judy Garland never did heroin.

Fuck you, op.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2012

I was reading up on Garland, and Liza Minnelli apparently made a comment that Judy was better when she was working.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2012

She never had any money. It was simply another symptom of having been an "MGM" girl. The stars never learned to manage their own money. Never wrote a check. Never paid a bill. There are stories of LOTS of stars, of both genders who never were the same after MGM let them go. Look at the financial messes that Debbie Reynolds has been into, for instance. Many starts were ripped off royally by bad spouses, bad managers, bad business deals. Judy was also a drug addict and trusted all the wrong people. She NEEDED to work to pay her bills and to carry a lot of other people. They pushed the poor thing onstage if she could even marginally stand upright. It was all about money.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2012

Um, not exactly.

Judy Garland was BROKE, really broke, for the last five years of her life, and everyone knew it. Homeless even. Her mental illness on top of the pills and booze didn't help. It had very little to do with being a pampered star 20 years earlier by that time and there are no reasonable excuses.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2012

from what I've read, she really skidded downhill after her divorce from Sid Luft. He might have been a leech himself, but he seemed to keep her from self destructing and provided some stability for her and the kids. Of course he stole from her too, but being a compulsive gambler, he lost it all. And this was in the 50's when she was making very good money. After her network show ended, it was pretty much over. Her agents set a new low for how they treated her. Begelman was a sociopath and liar and thief who eventually killed himself after being exposed for other thefts. He and Freddie Fields bled her dry and then abandoned her for greener pastures.

She let it happen, but she was from another era where it wasn't ladylike to handle finances. But she was so doped up that she didn't know who was good for her and who was not. When she died she was in millions of dollars of debt, and basically had left the country to escape the bill collectors.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2012

Yes, exactly, r8. Judy WAS broke and a mess but she never was a good businesswoman or good with money and really just wanted to perform. MGM and her husbands took care of her finances and then Sid Luft and then those awful crooked managers and various piranha and hangers on who exploited her. She got herself in that predicament, ultimately, of course. She used to sneak out of hotels to avoid paying the bill, for chrissake. Not passing the buck to anyone else and making Garland out to be a victim but her lack of concern for money really started with her stage mother and MGM. They just kept her onstage, in front of the cameras and pumped full of pills. Judy was responsible for her own life, of course. But she never got any early training on how to deal with money shrewdly. And she was not raised exactly "dirt poor" either, so there was no "fire in her belly" like other stars, namely Joan Crawford, to never be poor again. Judy's dad ran a theatre and they had a solid middle class home in Grand Rapids. Her childhood memories were of endless PERFORMING, not starving.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2012

I like the white dragons, Mama!

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2012

Yeah, I don't think she was ever on heroin. But the years of speed, barbiturates and booze were plenty enough. It's a miracle she lived as long as she did.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2012

Some WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE [gargle gargle] ovah THE raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainbooooooooooow [gargle gargle] blue birds flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! [gargle gargle]

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2012

you're all going to Hell! Don't you cunts know Judy died for our sins!"

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2012

and r9 Liza paid back everyone of those debts.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2012

would have loved to see her in Vally of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2012

R5 [quote]The book "Get Happy" states that Garland did heroin

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2012

DL has gotten so stupid it's amazing that nobody has posted about Judy using "heroine." Oh well, give it time.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2012

r17

It would have been sad to hear her deliver the booze and dope line.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2012

What's this about a travelling salesman and a mouthful of cum?

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2012

true r22 and It is suppose to be a joke r23

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2012

Some fictional tale of Judy giving blow jobs to pay a debt. It's silly and false.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2012

So disrespectful, even if we were talking about an ordinary person. Evil cunts, the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2012

I read the Gerald Clarke "Get Happy" bio last year (first JG bio I've read) and I'm pretty sure heroin wasn't mentioned as one of her several deadly habits.

It does relate a story similar to R12's but it wasn't a traveling salesman, just a trick of hers who wanted to hear the classic song sung with a load of his jizz in her throat. Delightful.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2012

I believe the heroin habit was mentioned in the David Shipman biography on Garland.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2012

Her enormous talent survives every kind of abuse including her own.

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2012

The heroin story is from the Shipman, alleged by a house worker of Judy's who found the drug paraphernalia.

Other points, even though I know in today's thinking "an addict is an addict is an addict."

1) Judy was started as a teen or pre-teen on her drugs by the adults in her life, including her mom, during a time when they didn't know how incredibly addictive they were or what the long term harm would be.

2) She took the drugs (or was told to take the drugs) to GET THE WORK OUT. She really did keep a backbreaking schedule during those MGM years, and yes, her pictures were more physically taxing than those of a lot of their other female stars.

3) As previously noted, the MGM schoolhouse didn't teach her how to mind her business. She always, always had someone other than herself living off her performing income: at first her family, particularly her mother; then by the time her mother died, she'd had a child to support and soon three children and a husband. So there were always obligations to others beyond a simple meal and a modest roof over her head. What if she'd had the savvy and business acumen that Barbra seems to have possessed from the beginning?

4) Starting with Sid Luft and progressing through Begelman and Fields, Group IV, and her last two husbands on a progressive slide downward, she really did fall in with bad companions. Lots of bad business decisions, bad advice, people not really looking out for HER (as a person) but looking out for how they could get the most money out of her in the least amount of time. A lot of times it must have seemed that there was no way out. If she was working so hard, why didn't she have any money? It's not that she, personally, lived beyond her means. But who, in her circle, could have swooped in and fixed it all? Kay Thompson?

Leonard Gershe, I believe, said she was not an extravagant woman and that she commanded as much money as anyone in those days, often more...so where was the money?

So between the drug problem, the money problem, and just the kind of artist she was, circumstances collaborated to lead her to the ending. I don't think of her as tragic though. She probably could have been helped even after the TV series; but it was an era where people just didn't have public knowledge of celebrity problems like they do today--except people back then DID know about her addictions, at least on some level. The late 60s were an odd time for celebrities like Garland. Crosby and Sinatra survived through diversification and investments, whereas most of Judy's money was made by the sweat of her brow.

The only part of her life I see as tragic is the very, very end (1968-69). She really was basically broke and in debt, homeless, and an addict--and despite the legions who loved her, nobody stepped up: there was no organized intervention, they didn't have Kickstarter to start a public campaign and take up a collection for her.

The irony is that she continues to be a draw, and the sales of her work continue to make money for other people.

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2012

Do Judy's children get any money off of royalties for her work?

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2012

"....But who, in her circle, could have swooped in and fixed it all? Kay Thompson?"

No one could have helped her by the mid-1960s. By the last few years, Garland have alienated virtually everyone in her life. She was a drug addict; drugs came before her family, friends, career.

The problems were deeper than a lack of money. Judy Garland was hardly the only woman from that era, in and out of show business, who had a husband handling the family money.

It's amazing that her network TV series turned out so well--critically, if not in the rating. The people who worked on that weekly 1963-64 show deserve a huge amount of credit for getting her to perform at such a high level.

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2012

"weep no more my ladies......."

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2012

[quote]They pushed the poor thing onstage if she could even marginally stand upright. It was all about money.

This is what happened to Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2012

This guy gargles "Over the Rainbow" with a mouth full of cum-

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2012

I saw her in concert in 1974 and she was TURBLE. Just TURBLE!

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2012

[quote] I can see why someone like Celine Dion is so despised by so many gays.

People despise Celine because she's a screechy hag and a robot.

She could not, if called upon to do so, exercise the vocal restraint or phrasing Garland was a master at, and she could never put anything resembling the emotions that were a hallmark of Garland music.

by Anonymousreply 3806/21/2012

[quote]I saw her in concert in 1974 and she was TURBLE. Just TURBLE!

Not surprising, since Judy died in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 3906/22/2012

June 22nd Today is the anniversary of Judy's death. On this day in 1969 she locked herself in the bathroom of her flat in London and took an overdose of sleeping pills.

we miss your sunshine Judy.

John Fricke's bio about Garland BY MYSELF will be shown tonight on PBS American Masters series.

by Anonymousreply 4006/22/2012

June 22, 1969

Not sure if she took an overdose, or forgot how many were already in her system. Given the way she was living, it's the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 4106/22/2012

Judy bump

by Anonymousreply 4206/22/2012

R41, since Judy was more or less anorexic, it was only a matter of time. There's a most horrible photo of her getting out of a car with stick legs, all exposed in her 1969 mini dress -- like she though she looked good.

Additionally, it may be news to some of you, but EVERYONE was instructed to take pills for weight control. Every MGM star was supplied with Benzedrene among other medications. Add to this, very few women of any kind handled their own finances in those days. Male performers left it to others too. Even Streisand said she didn't know how much money she made until the 1970s.

Judy's main issue -- the issue that destroyed her -- was the mental illness no one wants to talk about. She was textbook bi-polar. Undiagnosed, untreated.

by Anonymousreply 4306/22/2012

She had to keep going on stage because she was broke, owed a ton of money to the IRS and no producer would hire her for film work because she was such a fuck up. Apparently she didn't even leave enough money for a proper funeral. Frank Sinatra gave Liza money to bury her mother.

by Anonymousreply 4406/22/2012

"Get Happy" the bio of Judy by Gerald Clarke is a piece of shit: poorly written and largely inaccurate. Clarke is a big, ol' Judy queen; he takes everything the drug-addled, mentally ill Garland said as gospel truth, especially the irrational hatred she had for her mother. On a tv show he said that Ethel Gumm was shoving pills down her talented baby girl's throat when poor dear little Judy was only ten years old. Where does he get that shocking revelation? Why, from Judy herself, of course! Not long before her death Garland had an autobiography in the works; she finished a few pages and made some tapes. That is where Clarke got that info, and he swallows it hook, line and sinker. He doesn't mention that on the tapes Judy rants incoherently and claims that she is NOT a drug addict or alcoholic! So I guess Judy Garland's credibility can be called into question.

A better Judy biography is "Judy" by Gerold Frank. Another good one is "Rainbow: the stormy life of Judy Garland: by Christopher Finch. Skip "Get Happy"; it's nothing but trash.

by Anonymousreply 4506/22/2012

"no producer would hire her for film work because she was such a fuck up"

She couldn't pass the insurance physical -- that's the reason people like her can't get film work. (I have no idea how Lindsay Lohan works things out). Plus, what parts would she play? She looked like absolute hell.

R46, Clarke also homophobizes a story that was originally a joke Judy use to tell about lesbians in a public bathroom. You know those evil lesbians. Is there an eldergay who can tell us about Judy's numerous lesbian affairs?

The Gerold Frank book okay, but it is so dated Mark Herron is straight in it.

by Anonymousreply 4606/22/2012

"I don't mind giving you head, but a gal needs to be fucked now and then!"

-- Judy Garland to Frank Sinatra

by Anonymousreply 4706/22/2012

And who was in the room to get that quote, R47? Sounds like more queen's wish-it-were-true bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4806/22/2012

"Judy gives the best blow jobs"

by Anonymousreply 4906/22/2012

I've read em all. Agree about RAINBOW. It is very good as is Gerold Frank's book. You don't hear much anymore about Anne Edwards biography JUDY GARLAND. That was one of the first ones to come out after her death.

by Anonymousreply 5006/22/2012

"Fuck Liza.. this one (Lorna) is the one who will make money and support me."

Judy after seeing Lorna in a high school musical.

by Anonymousreply 5106/22/2012

I often wondered why Liza wasn't involved more with taking care of Judy in the later years. Liza was 22/23 at that time and surely she had some sort of say in what was going on in the life of "Mama", or did she? Lorna and Joey were a little too young to be of any influence and were they living with Sid Luft at that time?

by Anonymousreply 5206/22/2012

Hmm. Filthy anti-Garland stories and filthy anti-gay freepers invading DL at about the same time.

Coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 5306/22/2012

Yes R34 they pushed Judy and Whitney on stage praying they wouldn't keel over but they also did it with Michael Jackson and are currently doing the same with poor, talentless Britney Spears. With the exception of Whitney, who persued a career in show business because she wanted to, the other 3 should be a warning to horrible stage parents everywhere about what happens when you make your child live out your dreams instead of the their own.

by Anonymousreply 5406/22/2012

"I often wondered why Liza wasn't involved more with taking care of Judy in the later years."

Liza, who was making a very nice living as a performer, distanced herself from Judy. Being close to Judy was hazardous to your health; Lorna, who was still a child herself, had a nervous breakdown trying to look after her drug-addicted mother AND her "special" little brother. Both she and Joey went to live with Sid Luft because living with their mother was living in insanity and neglect. They were the children of one of the MGM's biggest stars and there was frequently no food in the house!

According the Gerald Clarke's sleazy bio, Judy became lovers with somebody named Harry Rubin, a guy she and Sid had hired to supervise the electrical renovation of their new house. Supposedly she told this guy her views on oral sex ("It's really healthy!") and commented on her lover Frank Sinatra "I'm worried about Frank...all he wants is blow jobs." Rubin said "what's wrong with that?" And Judy replied "Well, you've gotta fuck once in a while, too, you know."

Clarke goes on:

"When Rubin informed her that he heard she was involved with another woman, her response was uncharacteristically vague. "You know," she said, "when you've eaten everything in the world there is to eat , you've got to find new things." Women were, in any event, never more than a side dish on Judy's menu--men were always her main course--and although a few always followed her around from city to city, she was not drawn to lesbians. One, in fact, gave her a possibly lasting fright by trying to rip her clothes off in a restaurant lavatory--she actually succeeded in tearing Judy's blouse--and Judy was saved from further trauma only by the intervention of Rubin and the restaurant manager."

I don't know how much of that, if any, is true. Clarke's bio is full of tawdry, unsubstantiated stories about Judy's wild sex life.

by Anonymousreply 5506/22/2012

Is Marti Stevens the lesbian with studio connections that Shipman refers to in his section on Judy's later life? He doesn't say by name...and Stevens is still alive.

The recent Kay Thompson and Lena Horne bios both insist that they weren't really lesbian either, and makes no mention of either of them dallying with Judy, but all three were at MGM at the same time.

A lot of Clarke's stuff on her sex life is copied over-the-shoulder from the Shipman.

by Anonymousreply 5606/22/2012

I'm watching this PBS program--they talk to whole time about how miserable she was--when it's clear that she LOVED performing.

Lots of people are exploited by their bosses and have to work hard--MGM wasn't much different from any job in that respect, except it paid a hell of a lot more. At some point along the line, I think she learned to think of herself as a victim.

by Anonymousreply 5706/22/2012

Mama wash the world'sh greatesht entertainer and a shpectacular, marveloush mother. *hic*

by Anonymousreply 5806/22/2012

The Gerald Clarke bio is lurid trash. The Gerold Frank bio is marvelously written and sourced.

[quote]The Gerold Frank book okay, but it is so dated Mark Herron is straight in it.

Remember, all five of Judy's husbands were alive at the time he wrote it (1974). I'm sure the threat of libel altered the specifics of Frank's book.

by Anonymousreply 5906/22/2012

[quote]The Gerald Clarke bio is lurid trash.

I couldn't finish this one-and I though his Truman Capote biography was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 6106/22/2012

By 1969, Liza was very much on her own. She did BEST FOOT FORWARD in NYC in 1963 (age 17) and at age 19 in 1965, she won her first Tony for FLORA.

CHARLIE BUBBLES came out in 1967, the same year she married Peter Allen. 1969 is the year STERILE CUCKOO came out.

Liza's 3 Capitol records studio albums were recorded between 1964-66.

Point being, when Judy was in true decline (66 or 67 to the end) Liza had clearly broken free. She was married, had a Tony for her stage work, was starring in movies and had several albums to her credit. Her career, in all media, was on the upswing--she didn't really have time to stop her life and take care of her mom.

That said, after Judy died, she took it upon herself to pay off all her mother's debts.

by Anonymousreply 6206/24/2012

My guess is that working hard was not the problem for Liza Minnelli. She would have made time if her mom was still trying to salvage her life. The sad truth is Judy Garland had all but given up at least a year or more before she died.

I did see Judy perform in Dec. 1967 (eighteen months before her death)in NYC; she still had more than I expected as a singer, but Garland didn't like the venue and talked about it way too much.

by Anonymousreply 6306/24/2012

Its like mama alwaysh shaid... "Liza.... CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 6406/24/2012

[quote]That said, after Judy died, she took it upon herself to pay off all her mother's debts.

Guilt.

by Anonymousreply 6506/24/2012

BUMP-O

by Anonymousreply 6607/18/2012

R62, only Lorna was around to watch her pill intake in 1967. Mickey Deens didn't know how to do it in 1968-69.

by Anonymousreply 6707/19/2012

I watched the loooooong min-series with Judy Davis. What wasn't clear to me was why Garland had such a bad time of it once free of MGM. She had several big TV specials in the 1950s. I got the impression that she wasn't working like a slave anymore.

Had the drugs just fucked with her brain chemistry? Had she a pervasive undiagnosed mental health problem?

by Anonymousreply 6807/19/2012

Judy was mentally ill, probably bi-polar. Everyone at MGM took pills and didn't end up like her.

by Anonymousreply 6907/19/2012

I forgot to add that many people like to think MGM and her mother permanently "wrecked her"; they don't like any other theory. the original one is so sad and so romantic.

by Anonymousreply 7007/19/2012

Had Judy lesbian tendencies? What do you think and what do you know?

by Anonymousreply 7111/12/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7202/20/2015

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 7302/20/2015

Judy Garland supposedly had affairs with women. She had a very "close" relationship with a woman named Betty Asher who worked for MGM (Betty Asher later committed suicide). In her later years she was said to have had a sexual relationship with a female fan who helped her out financially. I think she probably did do it with some women. In Gerald Clarke's incredibly tawdry biography "Get Happy" he quotes her as saying "when you've eaten everything in the world there is to eat you've got to find new things." I guess she tried lesbianism. But she always needed a man, so women were just a diversion for her.

Liza Minnelli must have been VERY well off if she was able to pay off Judy's debts. Judy Garland was said to be 4 MILLION dollars in debt when she died in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 7402/21/2015

Wrong! I knew Judy Garland, and she did NOT have a good heart. She was a self-absorbed, angry, spiteful woman.

by Anonymousreply 7502/21/2015

How did you know her r75?

by Anonymousreply 7602/21/2015

I've found very few people who aren't self-absorbed and they were probably just better at covering it up.

by Anonymousreply 7702/21/2015

Garland was a Gemini, so it stands to reason that she had many facets to her personality. She was also a woman of extremes, probably due to being bi-polar. People would say she could be the most charming, beguiling, witty, funny, loving, enchanting person you ever imagine. And they would also say she could be the complete opposite: monstrously selfish and demanding, nasty, immature, irresponsible, promiscuous, and very, very angry. She constantly blamed other people for her drug addiction and constant financial woes and lied with impunity. Poor me, poor little Judy Garland, abused all her life by her evil mother and the evil L.B. Mayer and the evil MGM and treated so badly by evil men like Sid Luft and David Begelman. That was the image she liked to project, that of a helpless, blameless waif.

People thought Judy Garland was like the characters she played onscreen, the vunerable, sweet, lovable characters like Dorothy and Betsy Booth and Esther Smith. But she was NOTHING like them at all. Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 7802/21/2015

I'll sing 'em all and we'll stay all night!

by Anonymousreply 7902/21/2015

TCM host Robert Osborne once told a mutual friend that Judy could be charming one minute and then get angry and turn on people in a split second

by Anonymousreply 8002/21/2015

Just looked up David Begelman, the guy was some piece of work.

More interesting is his suicide didn't occur until the 1990's after decades of robbing, forgery, lying, and in general screwing everyone or thing he could. More amazing Hollywood apparently stood behind the guy.

by Anonymousreply 8102/21/2015

Judy was classic BPD, love her anyway. I'm not sure I could tolerate her shennagins but I'd love to be at the piano an let her rip- fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 8202/21/2015

Who was she? Should I know her? Was she a folk singer?

by Anonymousreply 8302/21/2015

Jack Paar once talked about what a day with Garland was like near the end. It was hell; her moods changed often. At one point, Judy decided that Sid Luft lived in a particular apartment building in LA. His name was not lisited. Judy walked into the courtyard and started yelling, "Sid, I know you are here!"

Soon people looked out the windows or walked out on to balconies. They recognized her, and called out her name. Paar watched as Judy waved and took bows. Luft had never lived there.

by Anonymousreply 8402/21/2015

Atta girl, Judy.

by Anonymousreply 8502/21/2015

Lazy. If she had known the dint of hard work she wouldn't have been so broke.

by Anonymousreply 8602/21/2015

Damm, R38 cutta bitch!

by Anonymousreply 8702/21/2015

The pathetic self-loathing Dirk Bogarde referenced Judy and Capucine numerous times in his memoirs suggesting they had been his lovers.

In truth it was J and C who hooked up.

As a child I had a significant gay crush on Bogarde. Now I cringe when I see him on film knowing his memoirs are rubbish and that he subjected himself to electric shock therapy in a desperate attempt to zap away the gay.

by Anonymousreply 8802/21/2015

As her addictions grew worse as time went on and in her last few years, she was quite mentally unfit, as is the case with almost anyone who drugs and drinks round the clock in huge quantities. Of course it was a great tragedy that began when she was performing with her sisters (amphetamines and barbiturates).

Old post- r43- Streisand knew and read every detail of every contract she signs. She is very smart, very together and very stable. Sure she has financial advisers- anyone with huge wealth does- but she directs all of it and always has along with every detail of almost every facet of her career. Therein the great difference with Garland. Surreal talent is what they have in common.

by Anonymousreply 8902/21/2015

R27... You are full of shit. The Clarke bio has no such story. Stop pretending you read it.

by Anonymousreply 9002/21/2015

Bump

by Anonymousreply 9102/24/2015

Streisand has nothing close to the talent that Judy Garland possessed as a singer, actress and entertainer R89. aka charlie.

by Anonymousreply 9202/25/2015

BUMP for more Barbra truth. that she SUCKS

by Anonymousreply 9302/25/2015

Certainly, in the 19950s and 1960s people had many more chances to see Judy Garland perform in person in concert (and at lower prices) than Streisand in her entire career.

But, Streisand deserves a lot of credit for doing two Broadway shows --- one she also took to London --- and missing few if any performances.

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2015

Garland was thrilling to see live in concert. We stood on our seats.

by Anonymousreply 9502/25/2015

Bump for more horror stories about JUDY

by Anonymousreply 9602/25/2015

Chased a barefoot Joey through a snowy Central Park brandishing a blue hatchet.

by Anonymousreply 9703/18/2015

She was so talented, but it's been pointed out in her bios that her very nervous qualities began surfacing in her movies when she was about 20.

All the bios of the classic movie stars are so so dramatic, when today I think a lot of people would see through the drama to something more straightforward. I guess the whole studio system fostered drama and movie-type scenarios. Garland may have gotten hooked on "vitamin" shots so she could work at the studio but she wasn't the only one given the booster vitamins and they didn't all become addicts and alcoholics, though I guess a lot did. I think the environment back then was so neurotic you had to be a little crazy to thrive in it but it did you in in the end.

by Anonymousreply 9803/18/2015

"You are full of shit. The Clarke bio has no such story. Stop pretending you read it."

Oh yes, it does. It's on page 381. And here it is:

"I need to be needed", Judy confessed to one of her lovers. "I need to be wanted." That meant, of course, what it had meant since she was a teenager, competing for men with Lana Turner. For Judy, sex had an extra dimension: to give pleasure to a man was a validation of her worth as a woman, as a human being even; it was the proof she required, ever and always, that she was something more than Mr. Mayer's little hunchback. That need to be needed was what had made her so vulnerable to a predator like David Begelman. It was that need that sometimes caused her humiliation. One ugly-minded lover bragged that after she gave him oral sex, for example, he made her sing "Over The Rainbow" so he could hear those famous words sung through a mouthful of his semen."

by Anonymousreply 9903/18/2015

Sometimes Judy's amphetamine use showed on-camera.

by Anonymousreply 10003/19/2015
Need more help? Click Here.