Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Unzipped- the Isaac Mizrahi movie

Is Isaac a nebbishy mensch or just putting it on for the cameras?

A supermodel extravaganza.

Linda E acting the fool.

Cindy C, just adorable.

Mrs. Nikolas Sarkozy vamping it up.

A fresh faced and petite Kate Moss at the height of her beauty.

Sandra B before she crashed and burned.

by Anonymousreply 4312/29/2012

And the bald bitch with the tattooed head.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2012

Cindy Crawford comes across the best of the models. She's nice and professional. The others are either bitchy or stupid.

The clothes are pretty hideous in retrospect. Kind of amazing Mizrahi had the career he did.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2012

I love this movie. I only have it on VHS though, transferred from a laserdisc. Is it available on DVD?

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2012

Tim Gunn said Isaac was a huge pain-in-the-ass diva in his last book (before the producers of Project Runway muzzled him). That is probably why there was no sign of Tim on that lame PR that Isaac starred in recently.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2012

It was the golden age of 80s super models. The bit when Naomi is walking to the end of the runway and the camera swirls around and her coat flies up and she has on a canary yellow dress is fucking heaven. Yes MARY!. Love this movie too. This sort of is a corollary to the Paris is Burning thread in that the director just sort of disappeared. He had been in a relationship with Isaac.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2012

I remember this from the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2012

I don't think Mizrahi ever had a great career. It was sort of flash in the pan and then it was over. He was more loved as a personality.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2012

And where is Isaac today>

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2012

He lives in my building and he is a nebbish. Generally nice, but certainly not one to be taken for a fashion maven. He has one hot lover.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2012

If nothing else, I love it for that Pizzicato Five song "Happy Sad". I'll always watch it when it's on, an entertaining time capsule from a different fashion era.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2012

Isn't the movie filmed in black and white? How can you tell that Naomi's dress is canary yellow? Just asking.

Isaac's assistant in the film went on to be the cutie from Project Runway who works for Mattell designing outfits for Barbies.

I saw Isaac on the NYC show called "Talk Stoop." The interviewer rattled off all of his accomplishments and asked him what his next goal was. Isaac replied, "I probably shouldn't be saying this out loud, but at this point in my life, I just want to disappear. Like, vanish completely." The interviewer asked if he meant retreating from the limelight, and Issac said, "No, I mean, physically disappear."

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2012

They filmed the runway show in color. It was VERY colorful if you remember. Who the fuck would wear beast fur anyway?

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2012

I love Sandra's version of Might Real too.

There were a lot of second tier very successful models in this too. Yasmin Ghouri and Megan what her name? She was a horsey girl from Virginia. Tattoo head didn't get picked for the show.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2012

Isaac is a classic dabbler. He wants to do everything but then when he realizes it's a lot of hard work and not so glamorous, he just moves on to the next thing.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2012

The best thing about UNZIPPED is it introduced me to Polly Mellen who is hilarious and brilliant.

I'm surprised she's not quoted daily on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2012

Yikes his QVC stuff his hideous.

Love, Polly Mellon, what a gal! She stole every scene and many scenes she wasn't even in.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2012

"Blanche, yarn't ever gurnna sell this house, and yarn't ever gurnna leave it!"

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2012

Isn't Polly Mellon dead?

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2012

[quote]They filmed the runway show in color.

I did the same thing in 1939. Mine was better.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2012

Was Christie in it?

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2012

She was shown in the fittings but not on the runway.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2012

[quote]It was the golden age of 80s super models. The bit when Naomi is walking to the end of the runway and the camera swirls around and her coat flies up and she has on a canary yellow dress is fucking heaven.

Omg, I remember that scene! I actually cried, because it was so heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2012

R3...yes, it's on DVD. It's also available on Hulu Plus.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2012

My sister and I quote Polly Mellon to this day. "Fussy. Finished!"

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2012

Wasn't Kal Ruttenstein in it? The stories I could tell you about that dead, fat queen.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2012

R22 MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2012

The segment with Eartha Kitt and her little dog is so obviously staged as to be cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2012

Here is Eve (the bald headed tattooed model) today- she's a DJ now:

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2012

I forget what Polly meant by Fussy....finished!

Or maybe I never understood it. Please explain somebody.

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2012

Did you mean Christy Turlington, R20? She was filming her own movie at the time (Catwalk, which was in black & white) so she wasn't in this one too much but she has a great scene where he's fitting her.

The other model someone asked after was Megan Douglas.

Linda hamming it up is my favourite part.

by Anonymousreply 3006/22/2012

I saw this in the theatre a couple times. It was an easy-to-watch, brief moment of escape.

I loved the music and New York scenery.

Linda is one of the greatest models of all time, but she probably didn't win anyone over in this. Talk about a voice and personality detracting from her looks.

Naomi has always seemed childish and not too interesting. I liked the other models fleeting by in this, Amber Valetta, Kate Moss, Niki Taylor (for a second), Yasmeen Ghauri (refusing to change behind the scrim), and my all-time favorite Helena Christensen.

by Anonymousreply 3106/22/2012

Polly is retired now and lives in Kent, Connecticut...near where Oscar de la Renta and Anne Bass have country homes.

by Anonymousreply 3206/22/2012

R29 Polly was referring to her opinion, after seeing many shows and parties already that season, that too many accessories and overdone hair/ makeup were detracting from otherwise good collections. "Fussy finished" was her warning to Issac to keep the styling simple on the runway! LOL

by Anonymousreply 3306/22/2012

butt more importantly i want to know if Isaac rosebud butt hole cherry tight?

by Anonymousreply 3406/22/2012

The Naomi runway walk to Culture Club's Miss Me has to be one of the greatest runway moments ever captured on film.

She starts off covered in a fur coat. The coat so bulky that she appears to be walking in a demure fashion, but if you look closely, you can see her hips swivel as only Naomi's can swivel underneath the coat.

As she gets to the end, she artfully takes the fur off, revealing a short and shiny yellow minidress. She turns at the end and does a fuck-you power stomp back, dragging the fur behind her as she goes.

Yes, Mary. I died when I watched it on the big screen. She goes from sly seduction, to a climactic revelation to a triumphant return in under a minute. That walk is high art to me.

It's on youtube under "Unzipped (10/10) Movie CLIP - The Runway (1995) HD."

by Anonymousreply 3506/22/2012

R25, please do tell.

by Anonymousreply 3606/22/2012

[quote]I don't think Mizrahi ever had a great career. It was sort of flash in the pan and then it was over. He was more loved as a personality.

Hasn't he gone bankrupt a couple of times and he had a deal with Target that didn't last long. Mossimo is in his twelfth year, I don't think Isaac lasted two. Now the QVC where he can sell his shmattas by schmoozing the old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 3706/22/2012

Mizrahi is what stupid people consider an authority in fashion and design. And you can make a lot of money selling stuff to stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 3806/22/2012

I agree; his success appears to be based on his personality and not his skills as a designer. Even the stuff he did in his heyday was gimmicky and not serious.

by Anonymousreply 3906/22/2012

"Perfect makeup on the tundra."

A friend of mine and I sometimes still quote Polly from this film.

by Anonymousreply 4006/22/2012

[quote]If nothing else, I love it for that Pizzicato Five song "Happy Sad".

Anyone know where I could find the movie's remix of the Mary Tyler Moore theme?

by Anonymousreply 4106/22/2012

The funny/great thing about Evengelista at the fashion show is that she appears to be aggressively trying to show how bitchy she can be, just for the camera. I think she's hilarious.

Like many self-deluded people, in the scene where they're concocting the idea of a scrim for the runway, Isaac behaves like he's invented the scrim. Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 4206/22/2012

You know, say what you will about him but he set the tone for a lot of shit. No, he didn't invent the 50s cocktail dress but he brought it back. That fur stuff? That was the rave look for years. He's likeable and talented. I hope his mom is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 4312/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.