Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We're screwed!

The fastest growing jobs in the nation earn $20,000 per year: personal care aides and home health aides. Who in the fuck wants to do that?

My neighbor owns a street sweeping business. He's getting PhDs applying to sweep the streets. He won't them because they're overqualified.

My niece, who graduated from college last year is waitressing because she can't find a job She pays close to $300/month in student loans. The scary part is that she is the norm.

In ten years, there won't be a middle class.

by Anonymousreply 11601/29/2013

Actually, I did that job, OP. I now work in the disability field and continue to provide personl care in addition to other aspects of disability support. Supporting others is not work that one need be ashamed of doing (but yes, paying so low does tend to devalue the work that is done, which is a shame.)

by Anonymousreply 206/19/2012

If Romney is elected, and ESPECIALLY if the GOP takes the Congress, the middle-class is definitely gone in a generation or less. That's 20 years, folks.

by Anonymousreply 306/19/2012

The US Government is trying to get Americans to work for less than the Chinese. This is their plan to save the US economy......seriously.

by Anonymousreply 706/19/2012

Wow R8 do you know how to dare Providence or what!

by Anonymousreply 906/19/2012

About a year and a half ago I was making 40k. Lost my job. landed a temp to perm gig after 14 months being out of work. The job is basically the same thing I did at the old job, except I'm now working for a small start up vs a large international company. I'm now making 25k.

I'm living in the southwest. I can just squeak by on 25k, barring stuff like the car crapping out (12 years old) or something needing repairs at home.

I lost track of the number of times I ended up interviewing for the same positions as a half dozen of my former coworkers who lost their jobs. So far me and one other guy landed jobs since we got let go. He's not making much more than me--I interviewed for the job he got, It's at a bigger local company with more money, but with so many people out of work, salaries keep getting pushed down.

R8 can suck my fat one.

by Anonymousreply 1206/19/2012

Lots of well-insulated Republicans coming out of the woodwork on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 1506/19/2012

1 percenters like R8 or posers trying to anger people.

by Anonymousreply 1806/19/2012

R17, I don't want to, but I'll hold my nose and vote for Obama.

As far as I'm concerned Obama has done nothing for people like me. My life has gone from bad to worse under Obama. The downward spiral started under Bush. I honestly have no hope that my future will improve. I have a number of friends in the same situation.

I'm 9 years away from being eligible for Social Security. If Romney gets in, I suspect it will be gone before I can retire.

by Anonymousreply 1906/19/2012

There isn't a Middle Class now folks. Gays have always seemed to be impervious to the vacillations of the economy, but, after reading some of these posts, apparently not this time around. And, it's only going to get worse for many of you darlings. If you want to see a really enlightening cross section of gay life, visit Palm Springs. Here we have the uber rich, creaky old queens who don't have a clue as to what is happening in the real world of gays. They drive around town in their Bentley converts with their boy toy of the month in tow, who is always uber hot, uber muscular and uber trash. Then you have, what I like to call the "common gays". These are the guys that are living on disablity from AIDS, the young hotties who come here from ButtFuck Arkansas because they have always wanted to "live in the desert",. But, once here, the only jobs are barristas or cleaning rooms in some lice-infested gay "resort". The last hottie I met who came here had no car and was living in a studio apt....and worked as a waiter at a gay restaurant. Oh please!! When I told him I was not rich, he said he wasn't either but he knew he would be someday. LMFAO. I understand he eventually found a rich daddy in SF and is now gone from PS.

by Anonymousreply 2006/19/2012

Vote like your life depends on it, Vote for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 2106/19/2012

Freeper troll flypaper thread!

by Anonymousreply 2306/19/2012

R22 = fucking moron

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2012

[quote]There is no difference between the left and the right.

When did I hear that before? Oh, yes, it was 2000 when George W. Bush was running against Gore. Do you still believe Bush was the same as Gore?

Obama might not be exactly the man you want. That does not mean he's the same as Romney.

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2012

exactly, r26. i actually agree with the gist of what r22 is saying- obama is perpetuating the same policies of enriching the military/industrial/finance complex as bush did, and is taking no steps at all to restore individual liberties and privacy protections, but to say that a vote for obama is the same as romeny is just plain wrong, and you need look no further than the supreme court to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2012

Well, there's also the fact that Obama isn't all powerful and has to pick and choose his battles, and that most things have to come from Congress...

It always galls me the way everyone is so quick to blame Obama for things that are clearly not his fault, or not within his power to instantly change anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2012

Here in Southern Calif, office support staff are staffed w/ college grads, of any age, young to middle age, for $12-$14/hour. Ironically, hiring a Spanish-speaking housecleaner (legal or not) will cost you about the same or slightly more per hour. Wannabe actresses working as babysitters or nannies, demand $15-21/hr depending if it's a 1 or 2+ kid family. Point being, degreed or not, hourly wages can be the same whether someone has a degree and years or experience or barely finished high school. It's lunacy to expect wages like those to support a middle class lifestyle in a big city.

As far as [R8], don't crow. Tick tock, tick tock. Advertising is known for bloodbaths. Agency loses an account or two and a teams of staff are let go at once, and how many over 50 y o, non-management, are there on staff?

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2012

[quote]obama is perpetuating the same policies of enriching the military/industrial/finance complex as bush did,

He doesn't have a choice. None of them do really. They are mere puppets.

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2012

This thread has attracted the worst of the worst. Starting with R1, and deteriorating to the illiterate advertising douche reveling in a second increase.

I hope your comeuppance is particularly painful. Because unless you're a politician or billionaire, it's coming. Please post about your unemployment--entertainment like that is hard to come by.

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2012

[quote]$20,000 is plenty of money in some areas of the US.

I live in the South and it's still poverty level wages.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2012

BLAME REPUBLICKCUNTS!

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2012

OP: Shilling your blog again, I see.

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2012

They are even sending McJobs to China and India now. Fast food restaurants have pickup window staff located remotely.

How much will a 4 bedroom home cost when 80% of Americans make $20,000 a year?

by Anonymousreply 3506/20/2012

R3 and others, if you look at what Bush accomplished in 8 yrs. why do you think it might take 20 yrs to get rid of the middle class? They are in their death throws right now.

If the dumb@sses who consistently vote against their own interests elect Romney, the middle class will be a memory in eight years or less. Especially if Romney gets "a Congress he can work with."

Look at the polls. The very fact that so many people are seriously considering Romney, given his background and given what the Republican Party is unapologetically responsible for,ought to scare you to death.

by Anonymousreply 3606/20/2012

Its happening all over. My niece in Ireland spent 4 years at university studying animation and made her own little film - but now she is teaching English to students in Poland and Romania, as there is no work for her in Ireland. Her brother doing his exams this week will have to work abroad as well.

by Anonymousreply 3706/20/2012

Economic decline: it's not just for breakfast anymore!

by Anonymousreply 3806/20/2012

A time of darkness

by Anonymousreply 3906/20/2012

[quote]$20,000 is plenty of money in some areas of the US. Maybe not NYC, but it's probably not too bad if you live in the south.

I live in a town where you can buy a well-maintained two-bedroom, two-bath vintage 1,200-square-foot house in a pretty, tree-lined neighborhood for less than $60K.

And $20K is enough for a single person who is frugal to appear to be middle-class, though it will be a struggle and will often require a roommate to help pay the mortgage.

But a $20,000 job (basically $10 an hour) is very hard to find, as the home-health-aide positions OP talks about pay minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) here.

It's extremely difficult to find a job that pays more than $8.50 or $9.

Just to keep things in perspective, the editor of the local newspaper makes $11 an hour, retail store managers make $9, meter readers and dispatchers for the police department make $10.

So it's not much better in the south. Yes, it's cheaper here, but wages are lower and people often have to drive 50 miles each way to work, because they live in small cities that used to have a couple of manufacturing plants that provided plenty of jobs, as well as auxiliary jobs -- restaurants, locally owned stores, lawn-care businesses, etc.

Now those jobs are gone, and people can't afford to move closer to a job in a nearby city, because there's no one to buy their houses and there's no guarantee that even if they move to the larger and more-expensive city, they won't lose the new job, too.

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2012

Thanks for the clear-headed response

by Anonymousreply 4106/20/2012

A lot of the jobs and degrees that presented an opportunity to move into the middle class are now being outsourced to countries with cheaper labor. It's causing depressed wages in many formerly 'hot' industries.

A lot of these professional jobs are now hemorrhaging jobs. I work in the legal field, and a lot of experienced, strong attorneys that were making those six figure salaries ten years ago are getting hit with a rude awakening when their firms closed shop, they were down sized or they are finding that their experience is now being viewed as a negative during their job search. Those six figure jobs are still around (three out of the ten friends I know that are attorneys earn over $100k, but the other seven are under-employed making less than I do as a senior paralegal), but not enough of them to justify spending $150k to attend law school. This has been quietly going on for ten or so years, but it's only recently been hitting the headlines.

But there are many aspects of this problem, and in some ways, the President is the least important part of the system. An overall down market, school's tuition setting policies and gaming the federal scholarship system are major issues that contributed to a depression of wages compared to high debt all around.

by Anonymousreply 4206/20/2012

the republican agenda at work...eliminate all good paying jobs; create slave labor for health benefits...the big profit for the .01%

It's like the cartoons when we were kids; evil man wants to rule the world...MINE ALL MINE, MINE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4306/20/2012

R42 hit on the point that jobs requiring college education are the ones being outsourced....hence getting a college education is not any solution. The lack of jobs in America has nothing to do with lack of education.

America is FLOODED with unemployed college grads right now.

by Anonymousreply 4406/20/2012

As long as Republicans keep getting elected to public office and dominating (majorities_ legislatures- yes- the middle class will shrink.

Therefore- vote Democrat or progressive.

If you think it makes no difference, you could not be more wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4506/20/2012

Isn't OP's apocryphal friend with the street sweeping business middle class? Or did he enter the upper class when he did an IPO of his match girl business?

by Anonymousreply 4606/20/2012

The national Business Roundtable along with the Chamber of Commerce bow have both announced that they're "very concerned" with the economy, and have little confidence it will improve, so they are not doing any hiring or spending the stockpile of capital they have amassed.

Ask yourself, "Who benefits" from this short term strategy? Barack Obama or Mitt Romney. This is the private sector/busness community's version of the "Just say no!" Congressional strategy embraced with such effectivenss by our Tea Party Congress.

How does it make you feel to know that passing Obama's recommended tax plan to get the wealthiest to pay their fair share, and passing a jobs bill that would create jobs to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, putting more teachers and police officers back on the job, would pretty much resolve a lot of deficit-related, economic woes?

It would give people confidence to buy homes & cars, and purchase goods & services they cannot now afford. It would revitalize our economy. It would ease the suffering and uncertainty of ordinary people who can't put a freeze on paying their bills.

by Anonymousreply 4706/20/2012

The Plutocrats cry alligator tears over "uncertainty" in the economy:

"Boo-hoo. We can't hire. We HAVE to sit on our billions. If you'd just vote for Romney, well, we think we can, maybe, you know, hire again."

What contempt they have for us. Not only have we allowed them to install a plutocracy, they insist on mockery and grinding their heel into us by asserting false concern about "uncertainty."

We're fucked, allright. The wealthy have made it so their are no solutions ; he least they could do is spare us their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4806/20/2012

oops- "..the least they could do..."

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2012

[quote]Gays have always seemed to be impervious to the vacillations of the economy, but, after reading some of these posts, apparently not this time around.

Some of us have something called "The Smart Gene." Others have "The Organizational Gene" and others still have "The Creative Gene." Most do not have "The Breeding Gene" or "The Household Gene."

Once, having one or all these traits was a sure mark that work would be an area of honor and achievement, but now that career success has nothing to do with intelligence, production of quality, or producing much at all except good feelings in co-workers, Gays join other "eccentrics" in a vast ocean of Deep Shit.

by Anonymousreply 5006/20/2012

So what happens to the "Smart" Gene when you grow up with a Welfare dependent single mom?

Genetics does not veto social economic background.

by Anonymousreply 5106/20/2012

Whatever you're trying to imply, R51, is irrelevant and you know it.

Welfare hasn't existed since the Clinton years and you know it.

Besides, in the aftermath of Bush's assault on the economy, people don't have to be single to need help. More than half of Wal-Mart employees (many of them college graduates) need food stamps to feed their families.

And with a two bedroom apartment in even the lowest priced real-estate markets in the country requiring approximately 70 hours a month of minimum wage income, even married people who are careful with their money can find themselves unable to pay for the basics required to live a decent life.

So stop with the welfare queen bit. It wasn't true when Ronald Reagan used it and it's even less true now.

by Anonymousreply 5206/20/2012

Here's something we CAN do. Every single member of the House of Representatives - the Tea Party majority House of Representatives, is up for re-election. If enough people show up at campaign events for all incumbent members of Congress,not just Tea party, but all, and if they get enough calls, if they get embarrassed and scared they might lose, maybe we can pressure them into passing something.

If not, we can certainly support and vote for their opponent and keep shining a light on their ignorance in public. This can't be a one shot thing. It needs to be sustained. If we don't pressure Congress we deserve everything we get.

We may not be able to embarrass a corporation, but we sure as hell can do something about our elected representatives. If at first we don't succeeed we keep trying. Just like the damned Tea Party.

by Anonymousreply 5306/20/2012

The only thing that will stop this, is to eliminate all Corporate Political contributions and limit contributions from wealthy donors. Anything else is semantics, Republican Semantics and Democratic Semantics. Both will always side with the Corporations until these types of campaign contributions are stopped.

by Anonymousreply 5406/20/2012

GOP members and their supporters have dibs on the good jobs that pay gazillion dollars. The rest can fight over the crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 5606/20/2012

A lot of gays seem to have escaped the current economic mess that we are in. But, I suspect that in the future, many more of us will be caught up in no jobs, loss of our homes through foreclosure, living hand to mouth. This is all NOT over by a long shot. There is much more horrifying things on the horizon for American gays. Mark my words. And, NEITHER candidate has the abilities to fix...America. That's the totally shitty scary part.

by Anonymousreply 5706/20/2012

(R43) LOL. Hidla Solis, the best Sec. of Labor Mexico has ever had, has crowed about the fact that 60% of the new, low paying jobs are going to .....yup...latinos!!!!!

So, um, how is this the Republican's fault?

Dumb much?

by Anonymousreply 5806/20/2012

[quote] A lot of gays seem to have escaped the current economic mess that we are in.

Where did you get that idea?

by Anonymousreply 5906/20/2012

I'm posting this link in as many places as I can. This boycott is something we can support and help to grow. This is something they will understand. If you or anyone you know has an impact or can affect corporate pruchasing,keep trying to get them to support the boycott.

by Anonymousreply 6006/20/2012

Too late for Boycotts. Need something much, much stronger now.

by Anonymousreply 6106/20/2012

It's not a true revolution until the portable guillotines are pulled into place along Wall Street and Pennysvania Avenue and our "leaders" and the banksters are dragged kicking and screaming to their bloody doom. Unless heads start rolling, this is all smoke and mirrors by the "revolutionsists" among us. Talk is fucking cheap.

by Anonymousreply 6206/20/2012

People really should start bringing giant (fake ) guillotines to Wall Street just to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 6406/20/2012

Globalism - the race to the bottom

by Anonymousreply 6506/20/2012

Why fake, R64?

by Anonymousreply 6606/21/2012

[quote]They are even sending McJobs to China and India now. Fast food restaurants have pickup window staff located remotely.

I'm too thick to understand how this works.

by Anonymousreply 6706/21/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 6806/21/2012

[quote]Could it be that high taxes, oppressive oversight and insane regulations are making companies move outside the US & EU?

In a word, no, which is why you couldn't come up with any actual data to back up that silly assertion.

by Anonymousreply 6906/21/2012

This place is dead because of primetime.

by Anonymousreply 7006/21/2012

Hi R20 aka the SF/PS/Annoying Acronyms Troll!

by Anonymousreply 7106/21/2012

[quote] Could it be that high taxes, oppressive oversight and insane regulations are making companies move outside the US & EU?

No, its our insanely highly regulated wage structure. If labor in the U.S. made 80 cents an hour like in China then our economy would soar!

by Anonymousreply 7206/21/2012

It kills me when people suggest that Bush 2.0 is a war criminal who should be tried at The Hague, and that justice would be served if Cheney, Condi, Wolfie, etc. were found guilty and isolated from normal humans for the rest of their natural lives (a position I fully support) but refuse to admit that the Obama admin's policies have been just as bad, and instead laud him as the second FDR (another war criminal, but that's another story) or JFK (the last truly patriotic president of the later US empire).

Bush illegally, and with malice aforethought, invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. Obama has escalated the latter and still occupies the former. Bush signed the PATRIOT (sic) Act and Obama signed the NDAA, which allows him to kill any "enemy combatant" (even US citizens living in the US who have never been accused, charged or tried for any crime) and has already used it to kill a US "terrorist" overseas.

How can a person reconcile those two thoughts (Bush=Evil, Obama=Good) when the facts are so straightforward?

I guess I've just never been able to say "hey, he's good on this thing I like, so I'll overlook this bad thing that doesn't affect me personally" and sell my soul for some politician.

by Anonymousreply 7306/21/2012

[quote]has already used it to kill a US "terrorist" overseas.

Why are you using quote marks around terrorist? Anwar al Awlaki declared war on the U.S. He was part of Al Qaeda. He advocated jihad against the United States. You wreck your credibility with that grammatical stunt.

by Anonymousreply 7406/21/2012

R22, I'm glad that a lot of blacks are waking up to the mendacity of many of their soi disant "leaders" and their cult of the "victim of racism". The Internet has radically altered the way young people view politics, politicians, and their "spokesmen".

Is the legal system stacked against young black men? Yes.

Are young black men more likely to be involved in violence? Yes.

Does the "war on drugs" exacerbate this? Yes.

Does an antiquated and failing system of schools (especially in inner cities) have dangerous long term consequences? Yes.

Does 50 years of growing dependence on government assistance by a large minority of black families (exacerbated by the fact that getting married could reduce benefits) have anything to do with all of the above? Yes.

Is the bureaucracy nimble or intelligent enough to respond to the opportunities presented for education, road systems, record keeping and document retrieval, etc. or more importantly to changing morals, alternatives to the propaganda, anonymous digital currency, "Systeme D" and a populace that documents their every move? Yes, thank God!

More and more, every day, people are starting to wake up to the alternatives to inefficient, incompetent and invasive nature of bureaucracy and monopoly centralized omnipotent government.

by Anonymousreply 7506/21/2012

Ooooppppsssss-

I meant to say "No, Thank God" to that last question.

The bureaucracy is an antiquated and evil beast that will not last much longer.

by Anonymousreply 7606/22/2012

R73...because the MSM has successfully turned politics into a football game where people swear allegiances to teams and then back those teams no matter what they do. Well, as long as they win. It's all about winning now. Not ethics, not actions. President Obama has been extremely conservative in many ways yet liberals defend him because he's the Democrat and that's their team. Whereas old school liberals like you and I just wonder how this country will survive the fact that virtually all politicians are either mid-right or far-right.

by Anonymousreply 7806/22/2012

First, it's never to late for a boycott. You're talking to an eldergay (42)who's mother boycotted grapes for years. We supported the Farm Workers.

Secondly, I think the best thing we can do no matter what the outcome, is get active and stay active. If we're ever going to reclaim the high ground we need to take a page out of the Tea Party playbook and keep raising hell.

I just e-mailed my Congressman to insist he publically condemn Daryl Issa for ignoring the President's claim of Executive Privilege. I've contacted many members of both houses condemning the Food Stamp cuts.

In my state we're laying off teachers, policemen, and administrative workers, our neighbors, more than two thousand more than we already laid off, because the state & local governments are in trouble.

This further weakens our communities. These people won't be able to find jobs and they will lose their homes. They won't buy cars either. No shopping at the Mall.

If we allow Congress to roll back healthcare reform, cut food stamps, eliminate or cut unemployment benefits, insist that secretaries pay more taxes then billionaires,and block any kind of financial reforms, we're screwed.

The true game plan is to bring government to it's knees at every level. We will still pay. Someone always has to pay. What trickles down is the bill. Remember the firefighters who sat and let a house burn, because the guy didb't pay his fees?

They can "outsource" as much as they like, then do independent contractors, and set up authorities to "iversee" service delivery, and collect "fess." We'll never be able to hold anyone to account because we won't know whose in charge. It's Corporate fascism.

We have to fight it. No way can we allow them to roll back our rights,to appoint Supreme court justices, to turn us into a third tier country.

The power to stop this is in our hands. If Romney wins, it's because we allowed it to happen. That is something I refuse to contemplate.

by Anonymousreply 8006/22/2012

Good point, R77. He won't because he is full of shit and knows they are shithole countries.

by Anonymousreply 8106/22/2012

R73 is spot on.

And of course if you say anything criticizing Obama on this board you are labeled a "freeper".

by Anonymousreply 8206/22/2012

If Romney wins they'll privatize everything. Social Security will be gone. The healthcare industry is fighting Obamacare. So if you're in your 40's prepare to work until your at least 75. If you can find a job. Of course we're all aspiring entrpeneurs in America. We are a nation of cottage industries.

Oh, I forgot. Take lots of vitamins, exercise and grow your own garden veggies. But whatever you do, don't get sick. Pray no one you care about gets sick.

by Anonymousreply 8306/22/2012

[quote]Obama is Bush under left cover. There is no difference

Unlike Obama, Dubya advocated passing an amendment to the constitution denying rights to gay people. But you str8 freepers don't want to talk about that do you R22, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 8406/22/2012

I'm always amazed that people are distracted by the perceived personalities of the presidents. It really doesn't matter who is in power, Bush, Obama, etc. Yes, Obama and the Dems are better on some issues, but in terms of big issues like this thread - the economic system, they are basically the same. Globalism has the real power - and we don't see the leaders.

by Anonymousreply 8506/22/2012

r73 and r82, so I trust you'll be voting for Romney?

C'mon. Tip that hand.

by Anonymousreply 8706/22/2012

R86: You should do some research into what is called the JD Scam. Basically you have highly intelligent and motivated law school graduates (who are 100k-150k in debt) begging to work at coffee shops, as trash collectors and anything to bring in some income. They are generally refused since they are 'over qualified'.

People do take what they can get, but the issue is not only do they need to lie about their biggest assets (experience and education), but they also have a black hole on their resume from when they were attending school and also some of the minimum wage jobs they can get don't allow them to make payments on their student loans leading to defaults.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but you need to read more accounts of senior level paralegals, mid level managers and recent college graduates who are desperate for work, sending out hundreds of resumes and putting in applications for McDonalds or Starbucks, before you assume that young people or people out of work won't take what they can get. Some of these people have families, and while you could live on $7 an hour years ago, it's harder to do so in these days with the cost of living increasing and hours being cut. It's a trickle down effect: if you have debt you can't pay off due to your salary, your credit goes down, if your credit goes down, you can't purchase a house, car or restructure a loan, if you can't do any of those things, it is harder to create a stable home for a family (even renting apartments or getting certain jobs are subject to credit review), you can't discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy, so the interest would grow and no bank really cares that you are working a minimum wage job and can't pay them $500 a month and survive.

I have a personal stake in this, since my mother was a senior paralegal who worked through the ranks and raised three children as a single mother who was downsized seven years ago and the only thing she can find is a job as a substitute teacher, which doesn't pay the mortgage. When she was applying to new jobs, she couldn't just drop her law firm experience because it would leave a gaping decade-long hole in it since that was her work for most of her adult life. Other senior level paralegals have the same problems after the law firms started to go bust.

The whole idea that 'people just aren't taking what they can get so they can work their way up' is just ignoring the fact that many of these markets are drying up, certain positions are no longer in existence or as simple as blaming the victim for being lazy, which couldn't be further from the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8806/22/2012

[quote]so I trust you'll be voting for Romney?

No, I would never vote for a Republican. Never have. I'll either hold my nose and vote for Obama or I'll stay home.

by Anonymousreply 8906/22/2012

There are major differences between the candidates, and between Obama and Bush. Anyone who lulls you with that garbage, or promotes themselves as a "disgruntled, disappointed, dissatisfied" leftie, is probably working for Karl Rove. That's part of the strategy. Exploit the left's "disappointment." You have no idea what your talking about if you say they're the same, and you'll pay a much higher price than you can imagine if Romney wins.

He's an empty suit shilling for the Neo Cons. He'll give them foreign policy, they'll give him Domestic. And both will give us sh!t.They will dismantle government as we know it, and privatize everything.

So get ready to deal with Haliburton's domestic policy and Blackwater mercenaries. Police protection is only one of the local services they'll privatize.

by Anonymousreply 9006/22/2012

Who the fuck is paying street sweepers, OP?

I haven't seen a street sweeper in 30 years. The town where i grew up used to have street sweeping trucks but got rid of them because people were complaining about their taxes. The town sure as hell didn't hire private sweeping companies after that.

Where I live now, there is no such thing as a street sweeper and I live in a luxury resort area. You want your street sweeped, you sweep it yourself or pay a landscaper to get Mexican guys to use brooms.

PhDs applying to sweep streets my ass.

by Anonymousreply 9106/22/2012

Sorry, nice try R90 - but not on Karl Rove's payroll.

Are you saying it's not possible to disagree with Obama on anything?

by Anonymousreply 9206/22/2012

"Are you saying it's not possible to disagree with Obama on anything?"

You are dense. That's not what r90 is saying at all. What a stupid distillation of the points he/she made.

And if you don't see for yourself what's at stake this election, and feel absolutely compelled to vote regardless of the issues you have with Obama, then you are most definitely a complete fucking idiot.

Or you're just lying through your teeth and are indeed a fag neo-con tool troll.

I personally would bet on the latter.

by Anonymousreply 9306/22/2012

R82/R92I disagree with Obama on somethings, but there is no way I am not voting for him, and there is no way I will allow anyone to bullsh!t me into believing He & the Dems are the same as Romney & the GOP. Don't even go there.

And if you aren't working for Rove you should be, he's rolling in money, and your tired 3D whining(disappointed, dissatisfied, disgruntled) is exactly what they're counting on. People like you are their new best friends. With little effort on their part, you're cooperating with their strategy.

I will also say what I always say. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain when they do nothing. Voting is the beginning, not the end of your responsibility. The Tea Party should be an example to us all.

Nothing Obama has done would justify not voting for him, especially when you fully appreciate what's at stake and who he's running against.

I personally feel like anyone who calls themselves a Republican is despicable. They have no standing with me, nor will they ever again. But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 9406/22/2012

And if you don't see how there is really only one party in this country, you are blind.

by Anonymousreply 9506/22/2012

*swoon* at r90/94

by Anonymousreply 9606/22/2012

The GOP is spending a lot of money on a key part of their strategy of voter suppression. They are preparing to challenge voters at the polls and "disallow" ballots they question.

If you decide not to vote at all, you will save them a lot of money.You can self-suppress.

by Anonymousreply 9706/22/2012

Getting back to OP's issue...Too many people went to college and then got advanced degress thinking that the job market would welcome them with open arms. The job market has been tough for MANY years and these coillege students were stupid to think that they could just get a degree and then the money would just be thrown their way.

I got into the workforce in the early 1970s when there was a HUGE recession. I had no college at all and took a $80 a week office job at the near bottom of the job grade list. I was able to work my way up with hard work. Just because someone get a college degree doesn't mean that they don't have to work any more at getting - or keeping - a job. It never did!

I also don't know many people who are out of work or complaining about the work they do have. Yes, I know there are many out there who have lost their jobs, but the unemployment problem can be very local/regional and there are many places in the country where unemployment and finding work is not as big as an issue. I don't see gloom and doom - but I can see where graduates who made bad choices with their education and had expectations that were to high would.

And just for a point of reference - I'm from Ohio, which is seeing a lot of job growth.

by Anonymousreply 9806/22/2012

[quote]We're screwed!

Corporations are people, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 9906/22/2012

I've read this whole thread, and I have to wonder if most of the replies are from trolls, otherwise, I am very disturbed by a lack of understanding and compassion among my peers.

There is an RN shortage because there is also a shortage of spots in nursing programs. My partner has excellent grades, and a BA in Chemistry, with excellent grades, but he has been waiting for 2 years to get into a nursing program.

I went to an excellent school, got a degree, got a job, everything was great, salary rising, but, then, after 12 years of service, my company went offshore, and even the developers were let go.

I live in Portland, Or., and do not tell me 20K is livable, unless you want a flophouse with 7 other people. One cannot get even a crap condo for under 100K, and rents have not gone down. This is the city with the highest rate of educated people, per capita, and underemployment is rampant. I'd move, but I bought my house before the prices were insane, and I've spent over a decade on my garden.

by Anonymousreply 10006/22/2012

R100 -- 15 years ago, people could walk into Nursing programs (and did) and immigrant nurses had no trouble finding good jobs that paid American wages.

Now, with so many seeing nursing school as a way out of unemployment, those programs have been swamped. Even those who manage to get in, get through, and graduate, are having problems locating fairly paid jobs with all the new immigrant nurses willing to work for far less.

by Anonymousreply 10106/22/2012

Besides nursing and computer software work, what needed work is out there for those who want to maintain or earn a middle-class lifestyle?

Ohio post-er, what is the job growth coming from in your area?

I know too many mid-40s, early 50s men and women discarded from their jobs in education, marketing, journalism, music, etc and who are far too young to retire, who can't live on minimum wage jobs -- and if they have any kids, support a family.

We can't all open cupcake shops.

by Anonymousreply 10206/25/2012

Once everyone is making minimum wage, they will lower the minimum wage, arguing it is too high.

by Anonymousreply 10306/25/2012

"There is an RN shortage because there is also a shortage of spots in nursing programs. My partner has excellent grades, and a BA in Chemistry, with excellent grades, but he has been waiting for 2 years to get into a nursing program."

Part of the problem is the shortage of Drs (med school is nice, but the practical barriers are encouraging many young PITs to look for practices in Costa Rica, Singapore, Indonesia, etc.) based on insane rules by the AMA, the high cost of malpractice insurance, the bureaucracy that comes with running a practice (80%+ of support staff time is filling out forms to meet various government requirements, and that includes nurses doing half the work) and the poor payment practices of Medicare. I'm not even going to start with the insane laws the insurance lobby has crafted to get the ACA passed.

There is an RN shortage because there is also a shortage of spots in nursing programs. My partner has excellent grades, and a BA in Chemistry, with excellent grades, but he has been waiting for 2 years to get into a nursing program.

"I went to an excellent school, got a degree, got a job, everything was great, salary rising, but, then, after 12 years of service, my company went offshore, and even the developers were let go."

You're shocked? If other countries have a legal system that makes it easier and cheaper to run a business then why not move?

Ask yourself this question- if you knew you could move to Georgia (in the US, not Eurasia) and make enough money to move your friends and family, would you do it?

Now, I know corporations aren't people. They artificial entities, created by The Bureaucracy in order to shield the wealth of The Elite from the vicissitudes of their mad scheme to control money via interest rates and paper...but, really, would you stay poor in California or move to Vermont?

by Anonymousreply 10406/25/2012

I agree, R103. They won't be happy until we are all on some garbage dump, starving and fighting for scraps.

by Anonymousreply 10506/25/2012

Sorry, I won't clean bedpans.

by Anonymousreply 10606/26/2012

from [104] would you stay poor in California or move to Vermont?

The populations of the two states prove that millions would rather stay poor in California than move to Vermont.

A friend in TX who moved from San Diego wonders why more people (ie. friends and family) won't move to TX. Well, because her husband doesn't have a job after 3 years there. She is supporting the family in a commission-only sales job, not a salaried position. How many people want to start over in a new state in mid-life without a job waiting for them? Without contacts? Extended family support system? Even the prospect of buying a house at 1/3 the price doesn't move people to action to move away from the familiar and the exhorbitant CA.

by Anonymousreply 10706/26/2012

R107, did you read the post @ R104? I'm speaking HYPOTHETICALLY of moving from one place to another, and applying it from big corporations to individuals.

If you were able to move from a place where you would make less money to a place where you could make much more (due to the lower regulatory burdens, lower taxes, more competitive labor markets, better business environment, more stable banking system) then only a fool would stay unless personal relationships kept them at "home". That is why big corps (and smart individuals) are moving overseas to start businesses.

by Anonymousreply 10806/26/2012

Just FYI, r104/107 is the freeper who wants to abolish all regulators too (see also the "All Regulators are Corrupt" thread).

by Anonymousreply 10906/26/2012

WE are not screwed. YOU may be but don't paint me and other who were smart enough to get a recession proof job, with that brush.

My mother used to say, when you have a problem you can bitch and moan or you can actually DO something about it.

Remember when Brian the dog on The Family Guy said, "If you don't like it, go on the Internet and complain," he was being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 11006/26/2012

Americans have been warned about the dangers of electing Republicans for a long time, and they went ahead and did it again in 2010.

As Aaron Sorkin said recently, Americans are ignorant compared to those in other Western countries who know better.

by Anonymousreply 11106/26/2012

R111, the US education system is such shite it's a wonder public school kids know how to wipe their ass. Sorkin should know.

If you think Dems would be better than Reps, you haven't been paying attention- or you're too ignorant to understand that the differences are superficial while the similarities- foreign policy, bank bailouts, corporate subsidies, serial violations of our civil liberties- are identical.

Reps are just Dems in sheepskin.

by Anonymousreply 11206/26/2012

R112, if you think Dems are no different then Reps, you haven't been paying attention, or you're too ignorant to understand the deep and profound differences that affect millions of people directly.

You're a fucking idiot and a tool. Shut up you ignorant cunt, because your very existence in this thread makes the world more stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11306/26/2012

Credit expansion is the governments foremost tool in their struggle against the market economy. In their hands it is the magic wand designed to conjure away the scarcity of capital goods, to lower the rate of interest or to abolish it altogether, to finance lavish government spending, to expropriate the capitalists, to contrive everlasting booms, and to make everybody prosperous.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."

This first stage of the inflationary process may last for many years. While it lasts, the prices of many goods and services are not yet adjusted to the altered money relation. There are still people in the country who have not yet become aware of the fact that they are confronted with a price revolution which will finally result in a considerable rise of all prices, although the extent of this rise will not be the same in the various commodities and services. These people still believe that prices one day will drop. Waiting for this day, they restrict their purchases and concomitantly increase their cash holdings. As long as such ideas are still held by public opinion, it is not yet too late for the government to abandon its inflationary policy.

But then, finally, the masses wake up. They become suddenly aware of the fact that inflation is a deliberate policy and will go on endlessly. A breakdown occurs. The crack-up boom appears. Everybody is anxious to swap his money against 'real' goods, no matter whether he needs them or not, no matter how much money he has to pay for them. Within a very short time, within a few weeks or even days, the things which were used as money are no longer used as media of exchange. They become scrap paper. Nobody wants to give away anything against them.

It was this that happened with the Continental currency in America in 1781, with the French mandats territoriaux in 1796, and with the German mark in 1923. It will happen again whenever the same conditions appear. If a thing has to be used as a medium of exchange, public opinion must not believe that the quantity of this thing will increase beyond all bounds. Inflation is a policy that cannot last.

by Anonymousreply 11501/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.