Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anouncing the Microsoft "Surface" tablets...

These look cool as hell:

by Anonymousreply 17301/11/2013

Ain't gonna replace the iPad...nice try.

by Anonymousreply 106/18/2012

Well, no, it's not an iPad. It's an actual real computer. With a "smart" cover that is actually smart, not dumb.

by Anonymousreply 206/18/2012

I'll take one

by Anonymousreply 306/18/2012

Cool design.

But it's a long time before they're generally available. It'll be interesting to see how the reality matches up to the promise.

by Anonymousreply 406/18/2012

It is to the iPad what the Jitterbug is to the iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 506/18/2012

The world's most expensive paperweight...from the people who brought you Vista!

by Anonymousreply 606/18/2012

I love the keyboard idea.

by Anonymousreply 706/18/2012

I love that the keyboard is included.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad, but it would be nice if Apple didn't feel the need to make everything available separately and add a surcharge.

by Anonymousreply 806/18/2012

You don't get rich by making all-in-one products. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 906/18/2012

It's really just an improved laptop

by Anonymousreply 1006/18/2012

Yes, but will it restrict everything you do, not offer simple things like flash player capability and be way overpriced for what you get?

by Anonymousreply 1106/18/2012

This is what I've been waiting for. I wonder how much it will weigh?

by Anonymousreply 1206/18/2012

It looks nice. I love the keyboard.

I think that in the future it will become cool to not to by Apple products. All it takes for someone to make it trendy. It shouldn't be hard now that Jobs is not around.

by Anonymousreply 1306/18/2012

I love it. I've been a holdout on the whole tablet thing but this will make me a convert. But when the hell is it coming out?

by Anonymousreply 1406/18/2012

R11, it plays flash. Sorry to disappoint you.

(limited on the WinRT version, unlimited on the Win8Pro model)

by Anonymousreply 1606/18/2012

[quote]This is what I've been waiting for. I wonder how much it will weigh?

The WinRT version is slightly thinner and about the same weight as an iPad.

The Win8Pro version is thicker and heavier, but not by a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 1706/18/2012

[quote]But when the hell is it coming out?

That's the problem... 3 months from now for the WinRT version (give or take), and 3 months after that (give or take) for the Win8Pro version.

by Anonymousreply 1806/18/2012

[quote]I think that in the future it will become cool to not to buy* Apple products.

[quote]I've already noticed this trend in Europe.

I am European, so maybe there is something to it.

by Anonymousreply 1906/18/2012

Yawn. Mircoshit..

by Anonymousreply 2006/18/2012

Can I sync my Zune to it?

by Anonymousreply 2106/18/2012

R20, you know damn well if Steve Jobs had announced anything like this, you'd be shitting glitter and rubbing it ecstatically into your nipples while you drooled uncontrollably.

by Anonymousreply 2206/18/2012

Best of luck, Microsoft.

The world will be watching.

by Anonymousreply 2306/18/2012

[quote]you know damn well if Steve Jobs had announced anything like this, you'd be shitting glitter and rubbing it ecstatically into your nipples while you drooled uncontrollably

Well, honestly, if he had announced anything at all, I'd be quite amazed.

by Anonymousreply 2406/18/2012

So it's a tablet with an add-on keyboard and case. Big deal, I can buy both those things for an iPad at Best Buy. Or I can buy a Macbook Air and have a real laptop that basically just as thin and just as light.

Sorry, not a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 2506/18/2012

It has a USB port.

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2012

Um, no R25.

First, it's a FULL COMPUTER. You don't need any other computer to sync it with. Second, the "case" *IS* a keyboard and multi-touch trackpad. It's definitely interesting and innovative.

You truly don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 2706/18/2012

I almost don't care how good Microsoft products are. I had such a bad experience with bloated Windows and Office and so many error messages and crap--and no one to call for help.

by Anonymousreply 2806/18/2012

What R25 said.

by Anonymousreply 2906/18/2012

Why the hell do you need a trackpad with a touch tablet? Again, Microsoft is trying to be all things to all people and doing nothing well.

by Anonymousreply 3006/18/2012

Johnny-Come-Lately

by Anonymousreply 3106/18/2012

Is the game changer that it has many plastic parts to break and come off?

by Anonymousreply 3206/18/2012

Looks good to me. I'd be up for it if priced appropriately. And it unique, and that sells.

I do very much agree that the appeal of Apple will eventually wain significantly. That's just the nature of technology (see Blackberry). And I believe that the majority of Apple's appeal is marketing hype.

Frankly, Apple and its products are quickly becoming commodified and ordinary. A commodity isn't cool, and that's what makes many tech consumers tick, especially Apple buyers.

by Anonymousreply 3306/18/2012

Any hints as to price? And what is WinRT vs. Win8Pro? The video was very pretty but kind of lacking practical information.

by Anonymousreply 3406/18/2012

R30, maybe some people don't want to take their hands off the keyboard constantly. Maybe YOU'RE the one not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 3506/18/2012

[quote]Is the game changer that it has many plastic parts to break and come off?

No. Not at all. I have no idea what you're thinking of. But it's not this.

by Anonymousreply 3606/18/2012

I never see Apple people buying add-on keyboards for their iPads, it's *always* recent PC converts.

I don't think they get what a tablet computer is all about and does best.

by Anonymousreply 3706/18/2012

I love Apple groupies!

by Anonymousreply 3806/18/2012

R34: No details and price, only that it would be "competitive with tablets and ultrabooks" for the WinRT and Win8Pro versions respectively.

WinRT is the new iOS-like OS from Microsoft ("Metro") that runs on ARM system (like the iPad does) instead of Intel (like Windows 7). It doesn't come with things like Windows Media Player, and it can't run legacy windows Desktop apps, but it runs all the new Metro apps that Win8 can run. The tablet also includes a full version of Office Home/Student edition.

Win8Pro can do everything WinRT can do, plus it's got a full desktop environment like Win7 (only improved).

by Anonymousreply 3906/18/2012

[quote]Maybe YOU'RE the one not getting it

LOL. Oh, I won't be getting it. Along with most everyone else with any sense.

by Anonymousreply 4006/18/2012

Put an apple logo on it, R40, and you'd be falling all over yourself to get it.

You're not fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 4106/18/2012

Good lord. Okay, I'll play your level: I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you (and certainly applies to you)

Why are apple fanboys so damn childish?

by Anonymousreply 4306/18/2012

I can't wait to get it. I'm also going to buy one of those old fashioned TV trays to carry with me at all times so I have a flat surface on which to type on the bendy/foldy keypad. It's going to be great and I am going to look really cool using it at very trendy places. "Jealous much?," I will say aloud. Of course, we all admit, the price point is important. The availability is important. The battery life is super-important. We'll just count on it running shitty and crashing a lot. Hell, we got used to it with other Microsoft products, so what's the big deal.

Also, competition, Apple steps up game, light a fire under ass, and other cliches.

by Anonymousreply 4406/18/2012

Let's face it, you're not cool if you don't own the new iPad

by Anonymousreply 4506/18/2012

[quote]Why are apple fanboys so damn childish?

Why don't you go play with your HP TouchPad?

by Anonymousreply 4606/18/2012

NY Times says $1,000. Not clear if the keyboard/cover is included or extra. I also am not sure why, if you need a keyboard, you would buy a tablet as opposed to an ultralight laptop.

by Anonymousreply 4706/19/2012

A THOUSAND DOLLARS????

by Anonymousreply 4806/19/2012

OMFG, and it's not even an iPad!

by Anonymousreply 4906/19/2012

[quote]Let's face it, you're not cool if you don't own the new iPad

All the bozos in my office have iPhones and iPads. As it happens none of them are making a whole lot of money (they eat cheap junk food for lunch every single day, for example), but having an Apple product makes them feel like they "belong."

I am on my third Apple laptop, but, honestly, do I want to be a member of the club described above? Apple is more and more a brand for those who can't afford a decent pair of shoes, or a nice shirt, so they need something visible that they can show off every day, and what's better than a gadget that serves as a bogus status symbol.

by Anonymousreply 5006/19/2012

Yeah, r50, but all I care about is that they fucking WORK. I realize that heretofore has been beyond Microsoft's ken, but who knows? Maybe this won't be the Zune all signs point to.

by Anonymousreply 5106/19/2012

I never bought Apple computers because I thought they were cool; I bought them because they just worked.

The attempt to smear with the "cool" meme started when Microsoft noticed their loss of market share in the non-business, i.e., the personal, market.

I think Apple got popular because people got tired of being abused by Microsoft's shitty software and shitty customer service.

by Anonymousreply 5206/19/2012

[quote] NY Times says $1,000.

Here's what the Times article actually says:

Microsoft said one version of the Surface tablet would come with 32 gigabytes or 64 gigabytes of storage and feature a type of chip called ARM that is commonly used in mobile devices. Mr. Sinfosky said the price would be comparable to that of other tablets that use ARM chips.

He said a professional version of the tablet would come with an Intel processor, which is standard in more conventional PCs, and would be similar in price to ultrabooks, thin laptops that often start at around $1,000.

by Anonymousreply 5306/19/2012

Wait. Microsoft are the good guys now? We've forgotten 25 years of overpriced crap products? We've forgotten the many fine software companies they've driven out of business?

by Anonymousreply 5406/19/2012

From a review:

[quote]It's a super solid device and if Microsoft can deliver what it demoed, the iPad finally has a real competitor and Android has a big goddamn problem.

[quote]Microsoft kept touting build quality, and for good reason: the Windows RT Surface tablet is solid and stunning. Attention to detail is positively amazing, and it's so well designed from every angle that it's just a joy to look at. The keyboard is so thin it seems made from fabric. The lines are gorgeous, and it's a well-balanced device that you'll be able to hold for extended sessions. It is, certainly, easier to hang on to than any of the three generations of iPads to date. The screen is bright and vivid, and the viewing angle is as wide as you could reasonably expect to hold it. Even the kickstand that lets it sit upright, which seemed kind of, well, dumb onstage was a fantastic touch once we saw it in person and attached to the keyboard.

[quote]So. Yes. It's awesome. It's going to be fantastic. Google had better step things up at IO, because this Windows RT tablet is far more impressive than any shipping Android tablet I've ever seen. It's a clear rival to the iPad. Or at least, so it seems. We'll see. Can't wait for Fall.

by Anonymousreply 5506/19/2012

So it may be here in a few months? So... it's vaporware, then?

by Anonymousreply 5606/19/2012

[quote]First, it's a FULL COMPUTER

If I wanted a laptop, I'd buy one. I like my iPad because it's easily the most advanced and best product on the market.

Look, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the guys who have to buy Android, but it's not a Apple and it's not as good.

Apple will always be #1 because they make quality products and the people in the know buy them. If you want to buy an iPad and have quality fine. If not you buy six or seven Android crappy products to find one that works half as good as Apple.

Windows SUCKS. They always have and always will. Apple is safe, secure and quicker.

I don't mind paying extra for the best.

If you want a hamburger go to McDonalds, if you want a good tasting meal, you go to a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 5706/19/2012

Many companies announce products months in advance of availability. That doesn't make it vaporware.

It WILL be out. Not "may".

by Anonymousreply 5806/19/2012

[quote]I like my iPad because it's easily the most advanced and best product on the market.

Not really any more.

And no, Windows doesn't suck. And no, Apple isn't #1 (with what, less than 10% of the market?)

But you know, enjoy your koolaid.

by Anonymousreply 5906/19/2012

Wow, so many uncool nerds without the latest iPad.

by Anonymousreply 6006/19/2012

"...if Microsoft can deliver what it demoed..."

That's such a big "if" where this company's concerned.

by Anonymousreply 6106/19/2012

Windows 8 is supposed to come out in about October, isn't it? This must be designed to go with it. Windows 8 is supposed to be more touchscreen-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 6206/19/2012

It will fail miserably. I say this, having never seen or used one. The MacBook shoved all the way up my ass is making me say this.

by Anonymousreply 6306/19/2012

R62 you hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 6406/19/2012

Pogue:

The Surface: Celebrate the Competition, Question the Premise

On Monday at a Los Angeles media event that had been veiled in secrecy, Microsoft announced that it was going to make a gorgeous touchscreen tablet like the iPad. It’s called the Surface tablet. Its main differentiators from the iPad: It has a kickstand, it has real PC ports and it will run Windows 8.

In some ways, the announcement was a departure for Microsoft, which, for decades, has carefully stayed out of the PC business. There’s never been a Microsoft-branded computer.

On the other hand, the opening scenes of this movie sure look familiar. Apple comes up with a hit product (iPod, iPhone). Microsoft comes up with a rival that’s nicely designed (Zune, Windows Phone). Unfortunately, it doesn’t add anything attractive enough to lure people away from the safe choice, and nobody buys it.

There will actually be multiple Surface tablets; this is Microsoft, after all. There are already two basic models: a lighter, superthin one, with an ARM processor, that runs a modified version of Windows 8 called Windows RT, and a Pro version with an Intel chip that runs the full-blown Windows 8.

There are lots of questions. Microsoft didn’t tell us the ship date, battery life or price. The Pro version, which Microsoft hints will cost about the same as an ultrabook ($1,000), will run regular Windows apps like Office and Photoshop; so what apps, exactly, will be available for the Windows 8 RT version?

Won’t it anger Microsoft’s traditional “hardware partners” that Microsoft is now making its own competitive tablet?

Will there be a cellular version? The company demonstrated a magnetic screen cover that, ingeniously, doubles as a keyboard with trackpad. Will that be included, or sold separately?

I think that Windows 8 represents some of Microsoft’s best work. Fluid, fast, useful, easily grasped — and different from the old iPhone/Android concept of icons-on-black. I’ve been using a prerelease Windows 8 version on a Samsung tablet, and it works beautifully.

But the iPad’s been around for two years; it’s awfully late for Microsoft to begin its pursuit now. (See also: H.P.’s tablet, BlackBerry tablet, Zune.) To me, the most compelling model is the Intel version; imagine a gorgeous, sleek, thin tablet that can actually run Windows software.

That said, you need the detachable keyboard to get real work done, and no two-piece PC has ever caught on in a big way. (See also: convertible tablets, Motorola docking phones.)

And then there’s the elephant in the room. If you’re going to spend around $1,000 for a tablet with a detachable keyboard, why not just get an ultrabook, which is a more complete PC that weighs about the same?

So I mean no disrespect to Microsoft when I predict that the Surface will have a tough climb ahead.

But this is a week for celebration, not doomsday analysis. Because whether the Surface tablet sinks or swims, it represents competition, choice and some fresh ideas. For those contributions, we should wish it well.

by Anonymousreply 6506/19/2012

My Asus Eee pad has them quietly beat.

by Anonymousreply 6606/19/2012

Too bad it has a shitty operating system.

by Anonymousreply 6706/19/2012

[bold]Could the best Windows 8 laptop be a Mac?[/bold]

Windows 8 requires a very specific hardware setup to really perform properly, and oddly enough, Apple’s new MacBook Pros might be the closest thing to a perfect match.

by Anonymousreply 6806/19/2012

[quote]Windows 8 requires a very specific hardware setup to really perform properly, and oddly enough, Apple’s new MacBook Pros might be the closest thing to a perfect match.

Hardly. Since when are they touch tablets? Because that's where Win8 shines.

by Anonymousreply 7006/19/2012

[bold]Why I Love Surface[/bold] by Farhad Manjoo

[italic]The company’s new tablet could be the iPad rival the tech world desperately needs[/italic]

I love the Surface. And that’s true even though I know very little about it. At a top-secret press event in Los Angeles on Monday, I was allowed to spend only about 90 seconds with Microsoft’s new tablet device. Even that brief time was circumscribed. I was only permitted to touch the device while the machine was powered off. Microsoft representatives were happy to show off the device, but they didn’t let me actually use the new tablet.

What’s more, much about the Surface remains mysterious. Microsoft won’t tell us its price; it will only say that the cost will be “comparable” to that of other tablets. We don’t know when it will go on sale (the company suggests sometime later this year). We also have no idea whether developers will create cool apps for it, we don’t know if the tablet’s build quality will hold up once Microsoft begins manufacturing it in large quantities, and we don’t know if—like many would-be iPad killers that have been released so far—the Surface will prove to be a buggy mess.

And yet, despite all these unknowns, I’m already deeply smitten. Not because the Surface is so great—though it seems like it might be—but because it represents a new and potentially powerful force in the tech industry. For the first time in its history, Microsoft is taking PC hardware as seriously as it does software. The software giant is coming around to a maxim that archrival Steve Jobs always held dear—that the best technologies come about from the tight integration of code and manufacturing, and that no company can afford to focus on just one half of that equation.

I love the Surface. And that’s true even though I know very little about it. At a top-secret press event in Los Angeles on Monday, I was allowed to spend only about 90 seconds with Microsoft’s new tablet device. Even that brief time was circumscribed. I was only permitted to touch the device while the machine was powered off. Microsoft representatives were happy to show off the device, but they didn’t let me actually use the new tablet.

What’s more, much about the Surface remains mysterious. Microsoft won’t tell us its price; it will only say that the cost will be “comparable” to that of other tablets. We don’t know when it will go on sale (the company suggests sometime later this year). We also have no idea whether developers will create cool apps for it, we don’t know if the tablet’s build quality will hold up once Microsoft begins manufacturing it in large quantities, and we don’t know if—like many would-be iPad killers that have been released so far—the Surface will prove to be a buggy mess.

And yet, despite all these unknowns, I’m already deeply smitten. Not because the Surface is so great—though it seems like it might be—but because it represents a new and potentially powerful force in the tech industry. For the first time in its history, Microsoft is taking PC hardware as seriously as it does software. The software giant is coming around to a maxim that archrival Steve Jobs always held dear—that the best technologies come about from the tight integration of code and manufacturing, and that no company can afford to focus on just one half of that equation.

Because Zune was a late, me-too product that didn’t try to stake out a different path from Apple. The Surface seems like a much more carefully considered device.

Microsoft has clearly spent a lot of time making this thing look and feel just right. The Surface isn’t flashy—it’s less outwardly gorgeous than the new iPad—but it is delightfully functional. It’s got a kickstand built invisibly into the device, and, even better, Microsoft created an ingenious case that includes a “pressure sensitive” touch keyboard right inside the cover. If it works well, the keyboard—which I got to inspect at great length but not actually type on—is going to be the Surface’s killer attraction.

(continued)

by Anonymousreply 7106/19/2012

(continued)

Lots of people get frustrated with the iPad because typing on it is a major chore. They want to use it like a full-fledged desktop, but they’re stymied by the input method. There are lots of fine third-party add-on keyboards for the iPad, but there are none as thin and slick as this Microsoft one. If the Surface ships with the keyboard—and if Microsoft markets the device as a tablet that will let you get some work done—it could be a big hit.

That’s a big if. In some ways, though, the immediate success of the Surface is beside the point. For me, the most interesting thing about the Surface isn’t the device itself, but what it says about Microsoft. As a series of executives took the stage to describe the tablet, I was struck by how many of them gushed about the complexity of the processes involved in making the device. They described making tons of prototypes in order to perfect every single angle on the tablet. They talked about using a “liquid metal infusion” system to create the internal structure of the device. At one point, the company used a soundproof “anechoic chamber” to analyze the sound that the tablet’s kickstand makes when you slam it shut. They wanted it to sound like quality—like the door slamming shut on a European luxury car, or the sound of the clasp of fine jewelry.

Until now, there has been only one other company in the tech industry that talks so obsessively about the process of making physical things. That was Steve Jobs’ company, not Steve Ballmer’s tech firm.

With the Surface, that changes. At long last, the PC industry has some real hardware competition. And whether the Surface wins or loses, Microsoft is finally in the game.

(end)

by Anonymousreply 7206/19/2012

I like the moving plastic parts. Those things will never break off.

by Anonymousreply 7306/20/2012

Um, there aren't any moving plastic parts.

by Anonymousreply 7406/20/2012

there's a kickstand. lol - why is Ballmer still employed? first Zune, then Vista, then this abomination.

by Anonymousreply 7506/20/2012

My take from the jibberish comprising this thread is that I really want a Surface. The Surface seems like a lack luster name, but all the points made both as positives and negatives paint a pretty desirable tablet. I've admired the Ipad as I am a Mac user, but I've never liked how Apple limited the connections and memory extensions on the Ipad in an effort to restrict and control both the Ipad and the purchaser. This really smacked of Apples early days of control that almost bankrupted Apple.

by Anonymousreply 7606/20/2012

R75, you sound butthurt.

You know damn well you'd be creaming yourself if Apple came out with something like this.

by Anonymousreply 7706/20/2012

Wow, R77, trolldar has you in a sea of yellow. You're at least 1/4 of the posts on this thread. Rabid Microsoft fanboy, much?

by Anonymousreply 7806/20/2012

R57, you must be a novice computer user. I work in IT of a medium sized company. Starting three years ago, all the MacBook Pros we got have a extremely high failure rate, about 3 to 1 compared to Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba.

I honestly think Apple has peaked.

Android phones, such as Samsung Galaxy S III (1.5 GHz quad core, 4.5 inch screen @ 1280x800) has far exceeded iPhone 4S (800 MHz dual core, 3.5 inch screen @ 960x640).

Asus Transformer Pad also far exceeded iPad 3 in every way. Android experience is equal or in some aspect (widgets on desktop, different launcher and vast ways of customization) exceeded that of iOS.

Wake up and see the real world has marched on. When you fall behind in hardware, you fall behind quickly. Take RIM Blackberry as the most recent example.

by Anonymousreply 7906/20/2012

Just exited about new techonlogy.

Rabid name-caller-trying-to-attack-the-messenger-because-you've-got-nothing-else much?

by Anonymousreply 8006/20/2012

All major post-producition facilities in NYC have long ago switched from MacPro's to PC's, and they use AVID software with PC platform. And don't let me start on FCP X. That thing was DOA, as far as professional film world is concerned.

by Anonymousreply 8106/20/2012

LOL @ Windows fanboy @ R80 / 77 / 74 / 72 / too many more to post.

And the "I love taints" thread.

How appropriate, considering PCs are the taints of computing.

by Anonymousreply 8206/20/2012

R82, kind of a fanboy yourself, aren't you?

Look, it's not my fault the Apple event was boring and a let-down, except for the new Retina Macbook Pro (which is a pretty awesome piece of hardware).

I enojoy technology, and I like talking about things and answering questions about topics I hvae knoweldge of. Win8/Surface is kind of exciting.

So please, get over yourself. Either engage in the topic or scroll on by, but enough with the childish name-calling. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8306/20/2012

Is this more junk that we don't need?

by Anonymousreply 8406/20/2012

[quote]I think that in the future it will become cool to not to by Apple products.

How old are you guys, 15? You really care what's "cool" or not?

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 8506/20/2012

If this thing cost less than an iPad, iPad would be in serious trouble.

by Anonymousreply 8606/20/2012

The question is, less than [italic]which[/italic] iPad?

There's no indication yet on whether these things come with 3G or 4G data support... only wifi is confirmed.

And given the low-end model comes with Office Home & Student installed, it could conceively be priced "competitively" and still cost a bit more than an iPad of the same storage capacity.

We'll have to wait and see.

Besides, even if MS did undercut the iPad, Apple could just immediately drop the iPad price. I'm going to guess that MS will target the iPad price point or maybe as much as a hundred bucks more... but that's only a guess.

by Anonymousreply 8706/20/2012

[quote]If this thing cost less than an iPad, iPad would be in serious trouble.

Apple is so huge now they get deals on components that other companies can only dream of. Including Microsoft.

If Apple and Microsoft were to build the exact same tablet with the exact same components, Apple would always be able to build it cheaper. Their supply chain efficiency is insane. CEO Tim Cook has shrunk Apple's inventory on hand from 3 months when he got there to just a 3 days supply today.

Microsoft can't even do product introductions right.

Microsoft: Look at our great new tablet! It will be available... in a few months at a... er... a competitive price. None of which we can tell you right now.

Apple: Look at our great new MacBook Pro with Retina Display! Pricing starts at $2,199 and it's available TODAY. (Apple website and store updated by the end of the presentation)

Apple has been making mass produced computer hardware since 1977. With the iPod, iPhone, and now iPad under their belts, they can crank millions of products out in their sleep.

Microsoft has suddenly decided they want to get into the hardware business. Good for them. But it won't be pretty. They have no experience doing it.

by Anonymousreply 8806/20/2012

R88, lots of misinformation in your post

Apple has often announced things WAY before they were available. From OSs to iPhones. Yes, they more often do "avialable today". But then Apple is a hardware company that vertically integrates their entire product line, including all software. They are relatively unique in that aspect (in fact, MS was sued to hell and back to prevent exactly that... not sure how or why Apple gets away with it, but that's another post)

And MS isn't "suddenly deciding to get into the hardware game". They've always had a hardware devision. They produces some good solid hardware in the past (even if some of it didn't sell well). Their keyboards and mice are all very, very good. The Zune HD was really good, just too late into a market that was already winding down.

Never mind the XBox 360. Perhaps you've heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 8906/20/2012

Viruses viruses viruses. You'll see.

by Anonymousreply 9006/20/2012

Microsoft has been pushing tablet computing for the better part of 15 years (to zero success)

Now they've scrapped all that work to rush out a crappy knockoff of the iPad.

Can't Microsoft invent anything?

Without Apple to copy, what would Microsoft do?

by Anonymousreply 9106/20/2012

Seriously, I've had an iMac for 5 years and not one single problem. No viruses, no blue screens of death - nothing. Same with my 2 year old MacBook. Both work like the day I got them. I had two Windows desktops and a Windows laptop prior - neither made it to one year without crashes, viruses, etc. Yes, I understand the argument that Apple has smaller market share, so is less vulnerable to viruses, etc., but even if that's the case, I'll still take my Apple. Besides the virus thing, the fact I haven't had any crashes also helps too. I'd also argue that even though the hardware is more expensive, the software tends to be less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 9206/20/2012

Wow. You fanboys are an unhinged lot.

by Anonymousreply 9306/20/2012

When are you posting from, R92? I haven't had a single PC computer "crash" on me in about 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 9406/20/2012

[quote]When are you posting from, [R92]? I haven't had a single PC computer "crash" on me in about 10 years.

Agreed, R94. Whatever their faults, PCs have been intuitive, easy, and reliable for more much more than a decade. Open the box, plug it in, and the thing works: no crashes, no viruses, no blue screens of death, no calls to a help center, no trips to the repair shop, no constant fine tuning of updates, no problems. They don't break down, rather they chug along, problem free until you're left to fabricate some small excuse to replace it with a newer, better, flashier model.

The Mac/PC debate was once a clearer divide; now the decision comes down to smaller points of preference as to the feel, aesthetics, brand allegiance, familiarity, price, and any specialty uses which may point to one or the other. All of those preferences are legitimate, important drivers in selection, but PC viruses and blue screens of death and crashes haven't really been considerations in ages.

by Anonymousreply 9506/20/2012

Macs are just better made machines in every way than their "competition". It's a shame Apple can't seem to manage focusing on their actual computers and their gadgets simultaneously, though. Tim Cook really needs to refocus the company on being more well rounded again if they don't want to suffer the trickle down effect of their pro users jumping ship out of necessity and staying away from their igadgets as a result.

It's pathetic that Microsoft thinks they've done something revolutionary by combining a tablet, hundreds of which already exist on the market from every major and minor manufacturer, and a keyboard case, hundreds of which also already exist on the market and have for years. They're showing up at the party just as all the other guests are leaving.

I want machines that charge without having to be plugged into anything. And I want a flying suit. And I want a toaster oven and someone to make me a grilled cheese sandwich in it.

by Anonymousreply 9706/20/2012

Why the premium on Apple products. it's like the fiat500 just because it's cool and everybody wants one they overprice it. Yes yes supply and demand bullshit but it's not like apple can't meet the demand

by Anonymousreply 9806/20/2012

[quote]I never see Apple people buying add-on keyboards for their iPads, it's *always* recent PC converts.

I know numerous people who've bought iPad keyboards and are longtime Mac aficionados. The reason is simply that they're doing work on their iPads that they would've formerly done on a MacBook.

by Anonymousreply 9906/20/2012

R98, I use Apple products because my mom got us an SE when I was about 8 so that she could get work dome at home and to make me learn to type. I've been using Apple products ever since. It has nothing to do with your concept of cool. The parents of many of my friends growing up also had Apples. We grew up using them, are familiar with the operating system and the lack of hassle from the hardware. Unless they started selling crap as unreliable and vulnerable and as much of a pain in the ass to use as PCs, why would any of us switch?

by Anonymousreply 10006/20/2012

[quote]And no, Windows doesn't suck. And no, Apple isn't #1 (with what, less than 10% of the market?)

Of PCs, sure. Of phones, they have by far the largest share of any individual manufacturer, even if Android-powered models are more prevalent as a whole. Of tablets and music players, do we really need to go there? The numbers for non-Apple products there are just flat-out embarrassing.

[quote]Why the premium on Apple products. it's like the fiat500 just because it's cool and everybody wants one they overprice it. Yes yes supply and demand bullshit but it's not like apple can't meet the demand

This remains one of the biggest fallacies in regards to Apple. Yes, their products [bold]used[/bold] to command a premium, but the problem today is that it takes two or three years for manufacturers to come up with products on par with Apple AT THE SAME PRICE Apple charges. The MacBook Air, in its current incarnation, has been priced at $999 for two years, but only recently have Windows-based ultrabooks come to market at a similar price point (and with mostly near-identical specs in terms of processors, RAM and HDs). Ditto the iPhone: its first real competition, the Nexus One, didn't come out until two-and-a-half years after the iPhone's debut. (Yes, I know there were earlier Android phones, but there is near universal agreement that none were on the same level technology-wise as the iPhones of the era.) And finally, we're on the third iteration of the iPad, and NO ONE has come up with anything close to even the *last* generation iPad, without the Retina screen, let alone the new one, at its base $499 price point.

Btw I am not a Windows hater in the least, and work with both Macs and PCs at work/home (though I'll admit I have an iPad and iPhone). I'm curious to see how Surface turns out when released; that said, I suspect it'll fail. The WinRT version only has a shot if it comes in at, or preferably below, the iPad's $499 price. The Win8Pro version simply has me confused: who the fuck is going to buy a $1000-and-up tablet when they can just get an ultrabook with a full-fledged keyboard instead? (whether Apple-made or not) As already noted, Win8 moves in the *direction* of touchscreen OSs, but it's still a far cry from full iPad-style iOS integration. I'd say they're the best competition Apple's seen to date, but much like the Zune -- which was, in reality, technologically superior to the iPod, particularly in its later years -- MS is going outside of its core competency of the corporate market, and with the exception of the Xbox, its record in that arena is filled with nothing but decades of tragedy and epic FAILS.

by Anonymousreply 10106/20/2012

[quote]Whatever their faults, PCs have been intuitive, easy, and reliable for more much more than a decade. Open the box, plug it in, and the thing works: no crashes, no viruses, no blue screens of death, no calls to a help center, no trips to the repair shop, no constant fine tuning of updates, no problems.

But I still find Microsoft insists that I have CRITICAL updates to install and then, after the entire process of downloading and installation appears to be finished, sends me some obscure error message telling me the update cannot be installed. This happens to me a lot with MS products and never with Apple products.

by Anonymousreply 10206/20/2012

Btw you bitches are crazy if you aren't cognizant of the fact that there will be competing iPad cover-based keyboards on the market within months, or that they won't be standard equipment on the new iPad 4 coming out this fall -- which btw is BY FAR the biggest danger Microsoft faces in waiting until October to introduce the Surface. By then Apple will have introduced the iPad 4, which could easily one-up the Surface on every significant level. In effect, Microsoft has revealed its trump cards months too early, giving Apple ample time to retaliate in time for the holiday shopping season.

by Anonymousreply 10306/20/2012

[quote]But I still find Microsoft insists that I have CRITICAL updates to install

Anyone with an iPad will tell you that not a day goes by when you are prompted for your password so you can update a handful of apps that have bugs.

The update before last for the Skype app wouldn't let you sign in to Skype.

No, Apple isn't writing these buggy apps, but they are part of and parcel of using their product.

Of course, nothing will be as relentless about updates are Flash or Java. Both programs seem to pester me several times a week to download "new" versions.

by Anonymousreply 10406/20/2012

R104, there are already iPad covers with built in keyboards, hundreds of them, and the iPad is not going to be refreshed this fall.

by Anonymousreply 10506/20/2012

I heard on Marketplace on NPR that Microsoft shares were up "on the release of its new Surface tablet," and it made me laugh. The shares are up on the idea of a release of a new tablet. This might end up being the hardware equivalent of the Facebook IPO.

by Anonymousreply 10606/20/2012

You don't have to update the apps until you feel like it. The iPad never has mandatory updates for use even with the OS.

by Anonymousreply 10706/20/2012

I use both Apple and PC machinery here in my subterranean abode. Due to my enclosed life space, my dress is super casual and brief. Often I have caught my stretched briefs when closing my Apple laptop or a PC laptop and each leaves about the same sized hole in my Dalmatian briefs. It's one of the reasons I'm contemplating a switch to boxers; more fabric, more room for little holes and stains. I do have a complaint about my Apple screens. It is so bright, I can't use it as a night light when I go to sleep. I have turn it off completely and switch on my Sony or Asus. I'm hoping the new generation of laptops will have automatic brightness adjustments that will allow me to go right to sleep after enjoying some prurient connections.

by Anonymousreply 10806/20/2012

look real closely at laptop on podium

by Anonymousreply 10906/20/2012

Cute, but a hoax, R109. But too damned funny.

by Anonymousreply 11006/20/2012

No it's for real. It's Steve Ballmer's computer

by Anonymousreply 11106/20/2012

The best Windows laptop available has been a MacBook for several years now.

Bootcamp comes free with the MacBook, but you'll need to find a copy of Windows.

by Anonymousreply 11206/20/2012

Can people get at least one thing straight? A Mac IS a PC.

by Anonymousreply 11306/20/2012

[bold]Surface vs. iPad: Microsoft's Getting Rusty Stealing from Apple

I'm crying with laughter as I type!

by Anonymousreply 11406/20/2012

R114 you do realize Bill Gates introduces the tablet computer in 2002. I was at the sales meeting he showed it at. So technically apple stole the idea 8 years later. Yes they did a good product but with a 90% share windows holds more people will have integration between their computer tablet and phone if they choose.

Oh and Windows 8 blows IOS out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 11506/20/2012

Just turning off the bold[/bold] I hope.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 11606/21/2012

Whatever, R115. And 10 years later, Microsoft can't even be bothered to come up with their own sales pitch.

by Anonymousreply 11706/21/2012

Four Out of Five Americans Won't Consider a Microsoft Surface.

According to a poll conducted by discount site CouponCodes4u, less than one-quarter of American consumers will consider buying Microsoft’s newly unveiled Surface. The discount site used the poll to study the overall tablet space and to determine brand awareness and perceptions across the U.S. market. It found that only 22% of respondents would consider buying one of the Surface tablets.

The survey, which was taken by 1,578 Americans in the 21 to 35 age bracket, also found high brand loyalty among tablet owners for both the iPad and for Android.

Respondents that answered yes to owning a tablet were asked to identify which device they currently owned. The iPad was most common (55%), followed by Android (23%), and RIM’s PlayBook (12%). When asked if they would consider swapping their current tablet for Microsoft’s Surface, 59% said that they wouldn’t, with 41% citing brand loyalty as the primary reason to stick with their current platform.

Folks who don’t already own an iPad or other tablet were also disinterested in the Surface. Asked which tablet they would buy, 41% said the iPad would be their preferred device, followed by Android (28%). Only 22% said they’d consider a Surface. Just 5% said they’d opt for a PlayBook.

When asked how they felt about the Surface, one-quarter of Americans (26%) said they felt that Microsoft was too late to the mobile market in general and to the tablet market in particular. Even so, 45% did say that they “liked the initial look and specs” while 15% said that Microsoft and technology media hadn’t provided enough information or positive reviews to consider the Surface.

by Anonymousreply 11806/21/2012

[quote] According to a poll conducted by discount site CouponCodes4u,

Sounds like a reputable polling firm

[quote] less than one-quarter of American consumers will consider buying Microsoft’s newly unveiled Surface

probably because less than one-quarter of Americans have even heard of it yet

by Anonymousreply 11906/21/2012

I'm so tempted to buy a mac book air with retina screen it seems to be that good. does files from windows work on apple's OS? I was going to go for a samsung ultra book with windows but all this talk about apple got me leaning in their direction

by Anonymousreply 12006/21/2012

Which subcontractor is making these for MS? Foxconn like AAPL uses?

by Anonymousreply 12106/21/2012

This is hilarious:

by Anonymousreply 12206/22/2012

Hysterical that the Surface crashed 30 minutes into the presentation!

by Anonymousreply 12306/22/2012

It's not an Apple iPad so it's not the best.

Go to Best Buy and try the different tablets. NOTHING comes close to the iPad. Android sucks. It's slower, it's has jerky movements and the tablets are all second rate.

And there's no reason to think MS will do any better seeing as it's never made a computer before.

by Anonymousreply 12406/22/2012

[quote]It's not an Apple iPad so it's not the best.

Oh my god please go kill yourself now. I can't believe you said that seriously.

It's not even out yet. You can't know one way or another.

[quote]Go to Best Buy and try the different tablets. NOTHING comes close to the iPad. Android sucks. It's slower, it's has jerky movements and the tablets are all second rate.

And this of course has [italic]nothing[/italic] to do with the Microsoft "Surface" tablets.

[quote]And there's no reason to think MS will do any better seeing as it's never made a computer before.

What the hell do you think the Zune, Zune HD, and XBox/XBox 360 all were?

Do you enjoy braying your ignorance so proudly like that? Good lord, I'm embarassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 12506/22/2012

[quote]What the hell do you think the Zune, Zune HD, and XBox/XBox 360 all were?

LOL. The Zune...

As for the XBox, "When his fourth Xbox 360 video game console died in April, Chris Szarek wasn’t surprised.

The Chicopee, Mass. gamer was accustomed to the hardware failures that became known throughout the Internet as RROD, or the “red rings of death” which flash when the console becomes inoperable."

by Anonymousreply 12606/22/2012

Only an idiot Microsoft fanboy would buy that piece of garbage.

Why aren't there more desktop operating systems?

by Anonymousreply 12706/22/2012

[quote]Why aren't there more desktop operating systems?

Because for 95% of the Internet population consists of Google, Amazon, eBay, Woot, Craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, the Huffington Post and one or two dating sites.

For them the rest of the Internet isn't important.

by Anonymousreply 12806/22/2012

Ahem, R122 ?

by Anonymousreply 12906/22/2012

I don't get the joke, r122. Who is the last man in the row?

by Anonymousreply 13006/22/2012

[quote]I'm so tempted to buy a mac book air with retina screen it seems to be that good.

You'll have to wait until Apple releases one. The retina screen is only on iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro.

R122: A tablet was not a tablet until you could control it with a touch screen.

R130--It's a Star Trek character but the point is ridiculous since Star Trek is set in the future.

by Anonymousreply 13106/22/2012

R115tApple had the Newton ages ago and that overall concept is what lead to the iPad later on down the line. The Newton was far ahead of its time in that regard.

Personally, I have always done quite alright with either a Mac or a PC, because I grew up using both and all of that. I have no bias or anything I am just a nerd from way back.

by Anonymousreply 13206/22/2012

This video is hilarious. The Surface used during the presentation froze and had to be replaced:

by Anonymousreply 13306/22/2012

The "Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight", eh R133?

Poor, pitiful Microsoft.

by Anonymousreply 13406/22/2012

[quote]R130--It's a Star Trek character but the point is ridiculous since Star Trek is set in the future.

You're not very bright, are you, R131? Never mind lacking a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 13506/22/2012

Perception is everything. That puts Apple in the driver's seat. That also puts Microsoft in a real fight for its life. Even operating systems abound today. Yes the majority by a huge margin are bundled with Microsoft, but with dominance in numbers without attaining the perception of quality is a very dangerous position for Microsoft.

This will be an interesting area of combat if Microsoft doesn't commit suicide by having a bug infested product.

by Anonymousreply 13606/23/2012

That "Surface Tablet" looks like it is 10 years old. What a stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 13706/24/2012

R137 = tedious fanboy who'd be crapping his pants with excitement if this exactly hardware were announced by Apple. Hypocrite.

I think thew MacBook Retina is amazing and exciting. I think the MS Surface is amazing and exciting. Both have their own levels of innovation and originality. Neither is boring or "old" or stupid.

Would the mindless bashers please take a hike? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 13806/24/2012

[quote]thew

Wow... major typing fail on my part. "The new". Stupid ipad keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 13906/24/2012

If it lived up to what it's promising, it'd be a good tool. Sadly, MS products don't have a very good history of living up to the advertisement.

by Anonymousreply 14006/24/2012

XBoxes are great. I love MS keyboards and Mice. And Zune 2nd Gen and beyond more than lived up to their promise (and surpassed the iPod classics)... they were just too late and in a segment that was being consumed by the smart-phone. But it really was pretty good, for all the jokes ignorant people make about them (disclosure: I've owned both Zune 2nd Gen, Zune HD, iPod Classic, and iPhone. I curronly use the iPhone).

Windows 7 is pretty good and pretty solid. I use it every day, on various machines. Most of the problems I've ever had have been with Dell Hardware, not with MS Software.

That said... Windows 8 and the Surface Tablets will live or die by the strength of the Metro Apps that they run. And right now, there are only "beta" Metro Apps, and most of them are pretty weak/lame. They have a few months to make them up to par with the competition, and will have to update them agressively for the first several months.

I'm also not sure how they're going to handle the simple issue that consumers expect major updates more frequently than every three years. Windows OS is typically tied to corporate update cycles... 3-6 years. Windows 8 (and the WinRT subsystem) will need to be updated pretty agressively to stay current with Android and iOS.

There are a lot of unknowns here, but there's also a LOT of promise here. And yes, a lot of innovation and excitement, which isn't something normally associated with Microsoft.

Still, I've always thought it was stupid to reject something that's actually good, based on a historical "perception" that is no longer reality.

by Anonymousreply 14106/24/2012

Um, it's basically a macbook air. But it's microsoft so it's mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 14206/24/2012

No, it's nothing like a Macbook Air. If you have no idea what you're talking about, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 14306/24/2012

Seems a bit piece meal. Having a detachable keybord might not be to convienient.

by Anonymousreply 14406/24/2012

Is the Apple "Smart cover" too inconvenient?

by Anonymousreply 14506/24/2012

The reason HP exited the tablet biz so quickly last year is because MS told them to, to choke off potential competition the Surface.

In return, HP is the behind-the-scenes general contractor because it is their (HP's) factory time in China that MS commandeered.

And now you know the rest of the story.

by Anonymousreply 14606/24/2012

Did you make that up, or is it actually true? Because it sounds like a great story, but it doesn't seem too likely.

by Anonymousreply 14706/25/2012

WHAT'S THE VERDICT? DOES ANYONE OWN ONE YET?

by Anonymousreply 14812/08/2012

I Love mine. It's cool as hell.

So much better than an iPad.

by Anonymousreply 14912/09/2012

I use mine to shim up a wobbly table in my dining room.

Works like a champ!

by Anonymousreply 15012/09/2012

Fantastic tea tray. So colorful!

by Anonymousreply 15112/09/2012

r146, if that's true, I'm sure the Antitrust Division would be [italic]quite[/italic] interested.

by Anonymousreply 15212/09/2012

Why does the commercial for it have the "American Horor Story" theme song at the beginning? Are these devices evil?

Also, why whenever they create these fabulous new computing devices do they never tell us in the advertising what they actually do that's different? Instead they just tell us how cool they are. I'm sick of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 15312/09/2012

R153, thank Apple for that.

by Anonymousreply 15412/09/2012

Do they sell the Surface at BestBuy? I want to play aound with one.

On another note, is it true that the latest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer has the Apple webstore site permanently blocked?

That's really tacky if true.

by Anonymousreply 15512/10/2012

The Surface RT is only sold in Microsoft Retail stores, and on-line from the Microsoft retail store site right now.

However, it may be coming to other retail stores as early as this week.

Keep in mind that the Surface only runs "Windows RT", not the full Windows 8, so you can't install any normal Windows 7 desktop applications on it. If you want to do that, you should wait until the Surface Pro is out after Christmas (in January). It costs more, is a bit thicker and a bit heavier with less battery life, but the trade-off is that it's a full blown Windows 8 PC, and can do anything any full blown Windows 8 desktop or laptop can do. It also comes with a pressure-sensitive digitizing pen, for note-taking or whatever else.

And no, it's not true that the new version of Internet Explorer (IE10) blocks any sites like that. I have no idea where you got that weird rumor from.

by Anonymousreply 15612/10/2012

In very late January, Staples and Best Buy will join the Microsoft Store in selling both the Surface with Windows RT and Surface with Windows 8 Pro. These devices will also be sold internationally outside of Microsoft’s own stores.

by Anonymousreply 15712/10/2012

I love the Surface RT, personally. Works great as a Kindle reader, has some great games, a great browser, and a full desktop that allows me to just drag and drop files over the network to my tablet at will... and Office is built in. Great streaming music service, and video works well (watched some shows via Netflix).

However, it's certainly not right for everyone.

You cannot install Windows 7 desktop apps on it. It only comes with Wi-Fi, which limits the usage unless you carry a hotspot with you (like a phone with a mobile sharing plan). There aren't a ton of apps yet, so some apps you want or need might not be available.

The hardware is great with one major and one minor exception: the power connector is just plain annoying, and the speakers could be a little louder and more robust. Beyond that, it's sturdy, the screen is amazing, and I just have no problems with it. It's far more powerful than the iPad with many more capbilities, at about the same cost. The iPads advantage lies solely in the apps, as it's been out three years longer.

by Anonymousreply 15812/10/2012

The only things stopping me from buying a Surface tablet are as follows:

Too light on storage space

But most important, Windows 8. It looks like an operating system designed by a 9 year old.

by Anonymousreply 15912/10/2012

Well, you're completely wrong about Windows 8. The change is a bit jarring at first, but the more I use it, the more I like it, and the more annoyed I get when I have to go back to Windows 7. Spend any time with Windows 8 and your objections will all melt away. They're not REAL objections, they're "I'm not used to something different" objections.

And too light on storage space? I got a 64GB Surface RT, and it has 48GB+ free after all the OS and pre-installed apps and such. And you can expand it by sticking in a microSD card (more than doubling it for about $60 or so). That's more than plenty for the RT device. I can't imagine why you'd want or need more. Factor in the additional 10GB of SkyDrive (7GB free for your microsoft account, and 3GB free bonus you get for buying a Surface RT) and you have plenty of storage, imho.

by Anonymousreply 16012/10/2012

Another advantage the Surface RT has over a full Windows 8 tablet like the upcoming Surface Pro:

The Windows RT version is immune to normal Windows viruses. It's impossible to be tricked into installing spyware, and the device can't become unstable over time because you inadvertently installed some poorly written device driver or bad software program.

It's going to be solid, stable, virus-free, easy to manage and maintain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 16112/10/2012

This is one of the new commercials I hate- especially the schoolgirls dancing.

Guy is really cute, however.

by Anonymousreply 16212/10/2012

Can't wait for the Surface Pro, too bad it has half the battery life at 4hrs.

by Anonymousreply 16312/11/2012

Microsoft has been showing the "Pro" version around, and it's getting some good write-ups:

by Anonymousreply 16401/11/2013

Another hands-on preview:

by Anonymousreply 16501/11/2013

A sorta-kinda "in-depth" look:

by Anonymousreply 16601/11/2013

[bold]Microsoft Surface Pro Hands-On: This Is What It Should Have Been All Along[/bold]

(though I disagree the Surface RT was a mistake)

by Anonymousreply 16701/11/2013

I'm seriously considering getting one.

I think these things would sell a ton if they were priced lower. At it is, they're priced in the upper eschelons of ultra-books. By the time you add a type cover (keyboard) and MS Office (not included, unlike with the Surface RT), you're going to be in the neighborhood of $1300

by Anonymousreply 16801/11/2013

Thirteen hundred bucks.?!?!?

Where are the dipshits on here who say "Apple shit is too expensive!"

by Anonymousreply 16901/11/2013

Well, given what you get... it's still less than a comparable MacBook Air.

(Higher Resolution screen, pressure-sensitive stylus, 2lbs, more storage, thinner, lighter, and can run all Windows software natively, old and new, & can work like a tablet or a laptop)

by Anonymousreply 17001/11/2013

It's $899 for the 64GB version, and $999 for the 128GB version. You can expand the storage via microSD card too.

Adding on a type cover, plus MS Office, plus taxes, and yeah, you'll be in the $1300 price range.

And yeah, the feature set and capabilities are far closer to a MacBook Air than a tablet like the iPad (surpassing the features and capabilities of a MacBook Air rather significantly actually).

by Anonymousreply 17101/11/2013

Only a month until the "Pro" versions are released!

by Anonymousreply 17201/11/2013

R52, they were cool when Steve Jobs with the designer. He's dead. That said, Microsoft is known for stealing its ideas.

by Anonymousreply 17301/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.