Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jean-Louis Hym, director

I was looking at Allen Tannenbaum's book of photography 'New York in the 1970s' and saw a photo of Jeanne Moreau, Micheline Presle, and director Jean-Louis Hym. I'd never heard of him, so I looked him up on google, and there was virtually nothing about him except this:

Paid Notice: Memorials HYM, JEAN, LOUIS Published: August 21, 2003

HYM--Jean-Louis. In remembrance of Jean-Louis Hym who died 20 years ago in New York City, a murder still unsolved. From his family and friends. Helene Hym-Williams, 27 rue de la Pierre, 37100 Tours, France

Anyone remember this?

by Weirdreply 807/07/2014

Yes. He was murdered near his aparrtment in 1983. There was some speculation that it was because he was leading a rent strike in his apartment building and his landlord had threatened him.

by Weirdreply 107/11/2013

Wouldn't there more info. Strange indeed.

by Weirdreply 207/11/2013

Try google archives

by Weirdreply 307/11/2013

There were articles in the New York Post. I'm sure you can find them in the archives. His boyfriend now lives in China.

by Weirdreply 407/11/2013

I believe the actual killing happened as he was entering the subway. Forget the station but he lived on Broome Street near Chinatown. There was a lot of press because it was done gangland style in broad daylight.

by Weirdreply 507/11/2013

I remember it well. My best friend Ray Penso was the cinematographer/editor for a French TV movie Hym was shooting called "The Black Cap" an adaptation of a Katherine Mansfield short story. Micheline Presle was the star, and Jean Moreau (a friend of both Hym and Presle)was along for the ride, an unpaid consultant as it were. And I (being no one except Ray's friend)was there with all of them for the original screening in a loft in SoHo. (I think it was Hym's girlfriend's place.) It was a mutual friend, the Beatles' photographer Jürgen Vollmer, who knew all these people in Paris, and introduced them to me and Ray in NY -- but that's a whole different story.

by Weirdreply 602/11/2014

-There was an article in" Le Matin " ,in 1983 ,in which his partner was interviewed and told all about the numerous threats he received before Jean-Louis Hym's assassination ........ Met Jean-Louis and* during a week-end with my mom in their country house in Jamesport ,took a liking at them both-especially Jean-Louis,since he had at that time a dental bra ,and I was experiencing issues with it............... ! ! ! !

by Weirdreply 707/05/2014

-He was NOT leading the rent strike -He ( and * ) SUPPORTED it thoroughly ,which cost him his life............... ! ! ! ! How old would he be now,I wonder ? ( I guess * must now be well into his mid-fifties ! ! ! ! )

by Weirdreply 807/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!