Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How can this person be Mexican?

She doesn't look Mexican at all?

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013

Mexico is a country -- if you lived there, you'd be Mexican. What do you look like?

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2012

She looks like Emily Watson.

by Anonymousreply 206/16/2012

It's funny how so many Americans think that everyone south of their borders should be dark or swarthy.

Mexico, Latin America, and South America were colonies just like the United States and Canada, with significant numbers of white European immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 306/16/2012

She's Mexican because she was born in Mexico. Stop stereotyping.

by Anonymousreply 506/16/2012

This man is Mexican also.

by Anonymousreply 606/16/2012

Louis CK is also Mexican, OP.

by Anonymousreply 706/16/2012

I live in Miami and there are many people who are 100% hispanic who are extremely fair and have light hair.

A friend who grew up in Cuba tells me that when she goes to New York guys talk about her in Spanish all the time thinking she cannot understand.

Its weird. We cannot be the only place where Hispanic people from the Carribean, Central America, and South America live?

by Anonymousreply 806/17/2012

Also Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 906/17/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1006/17/2012

Ugh, I hate stupid people like OP. Several months ago some idiot in another forum I frequent kept going on that Gisele Bündchen is not Brazilian 'cause she "doesn't look it" and 'cause both her parents are of German descent. I countered with, if you take the latter into account, then most white Americans aren't Americans 'cause they're of European descent. Using terms like "Brazilian," "Mexican," or "American" does not reveal what your race or ethnic background is, just that it's the country where you're a citizen from. Gisele was born and raised in Brazil and her native language is Portuguese.

by Anonymousreply 1106/17/2012

R9, Bledel is not Mexican 'cause she was born and raised in the US, specifically Texas. Her mother grew up in Mexico and thus she is Mexican, and her father is from Argentina of Danish descent but his nationality is still Argentinean, but Bledel is American, though she has Latin American roots.

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2012

What R12 said. Ethnicity and nationality can't be gauged by the way someone looks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2012

R13, you cannot possibly be Latino because of your total lack of understanding of how Latino identity and ethnicity works.

Bledel self-identifies as Hispanic and has repeatedly said she identifies with her Mexican side more than her Argentinian side. She is a Hispanic-American. "Hispanic," like "black," is a term that has ALWAYS included multiracial components and has no problem accepting that someone of partial Danish descent identifies as Hispanic. Racial purity is a myth to anyone who isn't white.

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2012

I love R6 so very much.

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2012

Wouldn't Alexis Bledel technically be half Mexican?

by Anonymousreply 1706/17/2012

I'm Mexican too.

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2012

Ian Somerhalder is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1906/17/2012

I knew a blond haired fair skinned girl from Colombia. She said there were times when she was told "Yankee go home" because her country men did not realize she was Colombian.

It goes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 2006/17/2012

R15, I am in fact Latino, from Central America, but I was adopted as a pre-teen by white Americans of German and English descent, so you're probably right that I have a "total lack of understanding of how Latino identity and ethnicity works."

by Anonymousreply 2106/17/2012

"Gisele was born and raised in Brazil and her native language is Portuguese."

I think you were a little too hard on the person who argued about her being German, which she is. Her nationality is Brazilian but her ethnicity is German. That is what basically confuses people, where they were born versus their parents heritage.

As an American, I know I am American born but most Americans identify themselves by their grandparents (or parents) ethnic background, I am American of Italian, Spanish (Spain), French and Scottish descent.

People usually assume I am German or of Nordic descent, I'm a natural blond with green eyes. Not one person has ever assumed I was Italian or Spanish. When I first met my partner he thought I was Swedish!

There are Cubans and Italians with blond hair and blue eyes. My maternal grandfather was a blond Sicilian!

by Anonymousreply 2206/17/2012

White Mexicans are of Spanish/European descent with little to no mixing with the locals.

In Mexico, the browner you are (more indian blood), the lower your social status.

by Anonymousreply 2306/17/2012

Oh yes, R23, we thought racism was started by the Americans. After all, the Americans have lived longer than many other cultures who have started fought wars over differences in race. The Americans are responsible for everything good and bad. That's why there's no need to learn about other countries in American geography class.

by Anonymousreply 2406/17/2012

I wish OP knew how to use question marks.

by Anonymousreply 2506/17/2012

[quote]Her nationality is Brazilian but her ethnicity is German

There's no such thing as German ethnicity. Germany is a country.

by Anonymousreply 2606/17/2012

Sorry, I meant "ancestry."

by Anonymousreply 2706/17/2012

Oh yea? r26

by Anonymousreply 2806/17/2012

And so what R27. Ancestry - and nationality - is just an accident of location and politics. Germany wasn't a country until the 1870's, Italy wasn't a country until the 1860's, Bosnia has gone in and out of being an independent country, the border between England and Scotland changed fairly regularly. Ancestry is as meaningless a concept as nationality or ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 2906/17/2012

I knew a guy who's parents moved from Japan to Mexico and he was born there. He said he was Hispanic, because he was born in Mexico.

No he wasn't. His ethnic background is all Asian.

Hispanic like Latino implies Spanish (or some other Romance language) ethnic group.

Lots of Mexicans are full blooded Indians and HiSPANic implies some European or Spanish blood.

You can call yourself whatever you want, doesn't mean you are that.

by Anonymousreply 3006/17/2012

Who gets to decide how other people self-identify their ethnicities, then, R30? You?

Cuba had a lot of Chinese migrant workers at the turn of the last century. As a result, there are many Chinese and partially Chinese Cubans. Other Cubans have no trouble accepting them as Hispanic Chinese-descendant people and most of them are Spanish-fluent, so they DO have some cultural ties to Spain. Language is a cultural component. It's like I said, just as "black" implies you may have a variety of heritages in your ancestry, so does "Hispanic." It's not a race - it's not even a homogeneous ethnic identity, any more than "Asian" is.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2012

So how do your silly little categories deal with someone like me?

I was born in Germany, as were both my parents, but we all hold UK passports, my sister and brother were born in Cyprus. Two of my grandparents are Irish, one is Scots the other is Jamaican. I've always lived in a traditional British household and in British surroundings yet have never lived there for more than a few years at a time.

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2012

[quote]No he wasn't. His ethnic background is all Asian.

And, as we all know, the term "Asian" refers to a specific ethnic group only.

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2012

R32, you're a multi-ethnic European, like many Europeans (Black Swedes, Asian French people, etc). It sounds like you identify with your British upbringing more than anything else, though. What do YOU call yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3406/17/2012

R30, Hispanic actually only refers to language, as in, it means that somebody is Spanish-speaking. The U.S. government has mucked that up in the minds of many. Latino and Hispanic are virtually interchangeable, except that Hispanic specifically excludes people from non-Spanish speaking places in Latin America, such as Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 3506/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 3606/17/2012

[quote]Ancestry is as meaningless a concept as nationality or ethnicity.

What people really mean when they say nationality or ethnicity, most of the time, is "cultural identity," i.e., the cultural ties they most identify with. Culture is made up partly of geography and nationality in some cases, and a culture can be relatively new. MOST Latino/Hispanic cultures in the Western Hemisphere would have no problem with a Mexican-born Japanese guy calling himself Hispanic if he speaks Spanish, is immersed in the culture/food/music/etc. of Mexico and so on, just like I have no trouble calling my Korean-born, moved-to-NYC-when-he-was-1 friend an American New Yorker.

The Spaniards I've talked to generally find the term "Hispanic" really weird and confusing, since they feel zero cultural ties to people in Puerto Rico and Chile.

by Anonymousreply 3706/17/2012

There are Caucasian Mexicans and Brown Mexicans and there are Black and Asian Mexicans. We see mostly Brown/Indian Mexicans in the US because the White Mexicans are usually pretty prosperous but selfish with wealth distribution.

by Anonymousreply 3806/17/2012

Because Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro is worth a second look.

He's a fanboy's dream!

by Anonymousreply 3906/17/2012

Lots of dumb dorks on this thread

by Anonymousreply 4006/17/2012

Lynda 'Wonder Woman' Carter is of Mexican ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 4106/17/2012

And OP Freddie Mercury is an INDIAN ! OP You are Racist ..

by Anonymousreply 4306/17/2012

Louis CK looks Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 4406/17/2012

This girl is Mexican too:

by Anonymousreply 4506/17/2012

R43 Freddie was born in Zanzibar which is a semi-autonomous part of Tanzania. This would make Freddie Tanzanian not Indian (though his parents were of East Indian descent).

by Anonymousreply 4706/17/2012

This photo is going to blow your mind, OP.

All three players are German. Ozil, Khedira, Gomez.

Born and raised in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 4806/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 4906/17/2012

Brazilian:

by Anonymousreply 5006/17/2012

She might not look Mexican, but throw a bottle of Windex toward her and see what happens!

by Anonymousreply 5106/17/2012

Freddie Mercury was Persian. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 5206/17/2012

Miss Mexico (she actually has red hair, but dyes it dark brown/black):

by Anonymousreply 5306/17/2012

Pan and Pfeil (2004) count 87 distinct "peoples of Europe", of which 33 form the majority population in at least one sovereign state, while the remaining 54 constitute ethnic minorities. The total number of national minority populations in Europe is estimated at 105 million people, or 14% of 770 million Europeans.

1. Russians (ca. 95 million residing in Europe)

2. Germans (ca. 82 million)

3. French (ca. 65 million)

4. Italians (ca. 56 - 61 million)

5. British (55 - 61 million)

6. Spanish (ca. 47 million)

7. Ukrainians (ca. 41 million)

8. Polish (ca. 38 million)

These eight groups between themselves account for some 465 million or about 65% of European population.

by Anonymousreply 5402/13/2013

Pure Africans.

by Anonymousreply 5502/13/2013

Are white people from Africa who relocate the US considered African-American?

by Anonymousreply 5602/13/2013

If OP wants one that'll really blow his mind, take a look at actress Sara Paxton. She's blonde haired, blue eyed, and her mom is a Mexican Jew.

by Anonymousreply 5702/13/2013

[quote]Freddie Mercury was Persian. Duh.

No, he wasn't, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 5802/13/2013

I'm Hispanic! Everyone love me!

by Anonymousreply 5902/13/2013

r56 NO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

R55- I'll take it!

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

Brazilian male model

R30 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

I know several guys born and raised in Africa who speak in an African language (Afrikaan), and they are all white.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

The bandying of that word... idiot... isn't civilized, r62, however all is forgiven with that picture you linked.

Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

Mexican Boxer

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

r65 Looks kinda white to me.

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2013

Right r4, we pulled that one out of our ass because we just had to come up with something!

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2013

Oh I love how this wiki. According to it people are running around being multiracial but have no clue. People of the Americas are all related but aren't aware. See what it says about Brazil triracials.

by Anonymousreply 6902/13/2013

Freddie Mercury was Iranian / Zoroastrian 0 and I do not understand the debate here on that .

by Anonymousreply 7002/13/2013

R56, African American is an ethnic term that refers to a very specific grouping of people and it is not necessarily synonymous with the racial term Black or Black American. African Americans are the descendants of the chattel slavery system in the Americas, they are also of mixed-race lineage. So the answer to your question is no. The answer would also be no if the person was a Black African. They would be South African American or Nigerian American. The ethnic term African American doesn't apply to every Black person in the United States. It applies to approximately 88 percent of the Black population.

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.