Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We'll never be rid of her: Adele ties Prince's record at top of charts.

24 weeks and counting….

by Anonymousreply 5508/01/2013

It will be interesting to see whose songs are still being played in 10, 20 or 30 years time.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Prince recording on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2012

R1, old songs aren't played on the pop stations anyhow, duh.

If you listen to any station that plays a 'mix of hits from the 80s, etc., etc.' you will definitely hear When Doves Cry, 1999, Let's Go Crazy, Little Red Corvette, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2012

What I don't understand about this whole thing is-who is still buying this cd in enough numbers for it to stay at/go to #1 after all this time? Who keeps holding out until one more song is released and then they'll take the splurge? Everyone just buy it already so it can be gone after that week. Geez

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2012

Who the fuck pays for music anymore, period?

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2012

Entertainment Weekly rated Purple Rain #1 on its list of the 100 greatest albums released in the last 25 years (1983 - 2008). Adele's first record (19) didn't make the list.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not critics consider Adele's record a classic or a fad. Is she the new Aretha or the new Alanis? I don't have an opinion either way.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2012

It will be interesting to see if she can tie or beat Michael Jackson's 37-week stay at #1 with "Thriller".

R3 Don't forget it's not just people buying the CD. Digital downloads are also tabulated to determine a single/album's chart position. And with several hit singles and Grammy wins, it's not that much of a surprise that it keeps returning to #1.

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2012

What about me? What about what I want?

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2012

CHASING PAVEMENTS is a good song, but I haven't been able to get into her other material. It's too coffee house sounding.

Joss Stone should have had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2012

Nothing against Adele, and I like a few of her songs but I have a nagging suspicion that she's sort of shot her load with this record, so to speak. It's going to be one of those albums that were super-hyper-mega-huge like Alanis in 1995 with nothing subsequent coming even close to it.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2012

R6, I guess my point was who, if they wanted it, doesn't already have it by now?

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2012

It was more significant (and harder) to chart in the 80s. Prince will have the longer legacy. Also, Prince influenced other artists stylistically and altered the course of popular music. Adele sells well - that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2012

R9 Alanis killed her career because she took a break and then came back different:; spiritual and peaceful. The world wanted her to be a bitch.

Adele said she was going to take a break. She then took that back. If she takes a break she will never have great sucess again. It's very important for new acts to keep putting out new, good material to gain a fanbase. You have to have fans in the mode of requesting and buying your music over an extended period of time otherwise they will move on to other things.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2012

I agree R12. The key to mega stardom is never giving any fan or foe the time to breath!

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2012

Is R1 kidding? You must listen to some shit radio station. Try BBC 6Music.

R12, the world will wait for another Adele album. Chances are it will be called "23."

People like Adele. She's the real deal. She's not just a singer, she's a songwriter. She can do what she wants.

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2012

Oh just do what I did and make an album full of shitty music. The queens will eat it up and I will cry all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2012

Them platinum records look like a dozen donuts my fat ass sat on while I ate the other dozen. Fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2012

Most of her songs are incredibly bland. The album 21, as a whole, is incredibly bland and boring.

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2012

It's nice for a change to see a fat woman topping the charts instead of topping her plate with extra gravy.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2012

Really, R18? what are you, 10?

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2012

Prince has stood the test of time like the Beatles or even the Bee Gees stand the test of time--flat out good tunes created by masterful musicians with a vision. I don't think hisrory will award Adele for her artisry. She's a good singer, but she isn't an "artist."

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2012

No it wasn't, r11. There was significantly less competition at the major label level. There were fewer acts in each genre, fewer singles being pushed at radio, which meant larger shares of the pie for everyone.

The exact era you are talking about is the "blockbuster" era of albums racking up huge numbers of chart weeks, at ridiculously high chart positions.

Prince's 24 weeks at #1 was consecutive. Born in the USA spent 18 weeks at #2 behind Purple Rain, 26 total weeks at #2. Springsteen racked up 7 top 10 hits from the album - not unheard of, Michael at just done it for the first time with Thriller, which spent 37 weeks at #1. What was exceptional about this era wasnt the acts, it was the marketing vehicle. When the music video and MTV were new, music starting selling like anyone else being freshly pushed with constant informercials --- hotcakes, baby.

Getting into the 90's, the financial bounty from the video starting bloating label rosters. More acts than ever, more sub-genres than ever, everyone has been signed with videos in mind, everyone has the budget .... THAT's when it gets tough to move a unit.

Now, it dosent matter. LOL @ paid downloads. Add up every d-load Rihanna's ever sold and you have the profits from one of Mariah's lesser 90's albums.

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2012

R21 is drunk. To summarize her mess: payola is alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2012

Adele is another Debbie Fucking Gibson, except that her music makes you want to kill yourself for sadder reasons.

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2012

Same here r8. She has a beautiful voice, but her songs dont do it for me. There are plenty of soul singers with gorgeous voices like hers, but I guess Adele has the right equation to sell all these records. I heard you will become a lifelong fan of Adele after hearing her live, so maybe thats what she has over everyone.

by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2012

Shania Twain has the best selling album by a female artist of all time and she's largely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2012

If Adele has sold close to 10 mil with this 'album'post internet,I imagine it would really be close to double that minus the piracy,correct?

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2012

She makes music for boring people, there are a lot of boring people, millions of them.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2012

Top of a chart that doesn't matter today.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2012

[quote] What I don't understand about this whole thing is-who is still buying this cd in enough numbers for it to stay at/go to #1 after all this time?

That's what puzzles me. It's a nice enough album, and I like Adele well enough (I think she's a wee overrated) but at this point I'm like, who the hell doesn't already have this album?

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2012

a, the summer of seems like Prince, Bruce Springsteen, and Tina Turner were 1, 2, and 3 on the charts FOREVER.

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2012

Love her voice.

Hit the button every time one of her songs comes on.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2012

Today, most college girls look just like Adele.

In the 1980s most college girls looked like Prince.

Nobody cares about the music these days, it is all about image.

Prince (before the JW cult fried his brain) is easily the better songwriter. History will preserve Princes early songs. History will preserve nothing from Adele.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2012

She's a one-note whining cow who fucks her throat up with her lousy, lazy technique every time she opens that enormous pie hole. She'll be using International Sign Language for her inevitable Jenny Craig commercials when it all crashes in two years, and everyone says, "Christ, what was THAT all about?"

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2012

You queens make me laugh. "Let's compare a 22 year old artist with 2 albums to her credit to a 54 year old with dozens." Of course Prince will be remembered. Adele has the potential to be remembered as well but let's give her a chance. She could fuck it up and be a nobody by 30 or she could evolve and be recieving a Grammy legends award in 2050.

And to the bitches who make fat jokes, fuck off. You wanna state your distaste for her music, fine, but comments about gravy and doughnuts just reveal you as the shallow, petty, and clueless queens who buy into the negative stereotype about gay men because you have no other personality to fall back on.

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2012

To appreciate Adele, one should know her singing idol is Peggy Lee. Once you appreciate who Peggy Lee was, you have an even greater appreciation for Adele. I think she's spot on in many of her successful cuts in imparting a great deal of Peggy Lee's intonation.

Adele isn't a good fit for many of today's young. Being able to understand lyrics and perceive a melody is anathema for most of the functionally illiterate, those with autism and the like. Adele is really a throw back and her primary audience is dying off rapidly due to old age, so you hipshotters will have your way in the death of music sooner than you think.

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2012

No, R35, I think it's because she's boring.

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2012

Adele is not boring, she simply doesn't have a criminal record for you to emulate r36.

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2012

I bet half the negative posters loved 21 when it came out but are jumping on the backlash train because they can't stand having mainstream tastes.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2012

Adele is taking another break to rest her vocal chords.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2012

She has an ego problem that she has been able to keep under control, but she's slipping

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2012

Whatever, r37.

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2012

Thank you, R34. Agree re. petty nastiness and also regarding Prince's amazing legacy and Adele's potential, far-future legacy.

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2012

I have her tied up in a basement with a pack of smokes and a wrap of fish and chips to keep her busy.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2012

Her throaty delivery gets old quick. When you interpret everything with the same gutteral wailing it gets uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 4406/16/2012

Her voice is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 4506/17/2012

I hope Adele demonstrates better staying power than that other soulful sounding Brit, Lisa Stansfield.

by Anonymousreply 4606/17/2012

I own many Prince CDs

Adele who?

by Anonymousreply 4706/17/2012

So Adele has now sold close to 10 million????

Led Zeppelin has sold almost 400 Million

The Beatles sold over 1 Billion.

Heck, even Enya has sold 100 Million

Adele who?

by Anonymousreply 4806/17/2012

R49, I'm not even an Adele enthusiast, but you must be smart enough to realize that selling 10 million in the Internet era is akin to selling 20 million in the 1980s or 1990s. Zeppelin, Nirvana, early Madonna, early Whitney, etc. would all be lucky to sell 1 or 2 million copies of any of there discs these days.

I'm 35 and haven't paid for music in ten years. Nor have any of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 4906/22/2012

Adele spoof.

by Anonymousreply 5006/22/2012

OK who da fuq is still buying her album? All year it has fluctuated between #30 and 40. Seriously middle America, the album is 2 1/2 years old.

by Anonymousreply 5108/01/2013

Joss Stone is a nasty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5208/01/2013

I am shocked there are still people who don't already have her album but still want it. It's absurd the album won't fall off the hot 200, and is still in the top 40 after so much time.

by Anonymousreply 5308/01/2013

I can only imagine that 50 year old white women in states like Iowa, Montana and West Virginia are to blame for this. They're probably only getting hip to who Adele is now.

by Anonymousreply 5408/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!