Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Netflix Streaming ...

...does it still blow ???

by Anonymousreply 6812/09/2012

Mine works fine.

by Anonymousreply 106/12/2012

Thanks R1 ... I meant with regards to selection.

by Anonymousreply 206/12/2012

Mine usually is okay. One in a while a movie will cut out...restart...several times. Pain. But that isn't real often.

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2012

Great for foreign flicks.

by Anonymousreply 406/12/2012

Yes, still blows.

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2012

Why doesn't The Criterion Collection just stream all their stuff through their site?

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2012

OP, I have no problem streaming movies. Check your router or broadband.

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2012

I'm cutting mine off next month.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2012

re: the Criterion Collection, I believe they wanted more money for the films that Netflix was willing to pay so they signed an exclusive deal with Hulu (I think it was Hulu). Either way, no Criterion streaming for Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2012

I still like it and think it's worth the money.

I do like to check out foreign movies and TV shows, though, maybe more than most people. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2012

"The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne" has been "temporarily unavailabl please try again later" for several weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 1106/12/2012

Has anyone else noticed the ratio of Chinese foreign films to any other? It seems like they have a deal with China to press their movies over any other type of foreign film.

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2012

I don't like the fact that all the recent and more popular movies are NOT available to stream. They don't tell you that when you sign up. The streaming selection if very limited.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2012

[quote]so they signed an exclusive deal with Hulu (I think it was Hulu). Either way, no Criterion streaming for Netflix.

Yes, Hulu has the Criterion Collection.

by Anonymousreply 1406/12/2012

[quote] I don't like the fact that all the recent and more popular movies are NOT available to stream.

They are available. But only for a limited window (usually 30-90 days).

by Anonymousreply 1506/12/2012

THOR is available now.

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2012

I've never had any problems with it. I am, however, running out of stuff I want to watch. I was out of work for over a year and Netflix was my only source of entertainment. I caught up on a lot of TV shows I never watched in the regular runs. I've seen almost every gay movie they offer. I've also seen every Italian movie they offer.

I wish they'd update their interface on the Roku. It seems as if I have seen almost all of their suggestions either on streaming or on DVD. They don't make it easy to find other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2012

Bullshit, r15.

Recently added Streaming:

"Sea Change"

"Drive"

"S.W.A.T."

"Fear Island"

"Messages Deleted"

And a whole list of obscure B-grade titles and box-office failures.

There is not ONE recent hit movie on their list of streaming. Why the fuck can't they have the latest releases on streaming? If I can get it from iTunes, why not Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2012

THOR has been available on iTunes since the day it went to DVD.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2012

Yeah, the selection is ridiculous (not in the good way). Once I work through my queue of some older series that are available, I'm done with netflix.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2012

I've been catching up with Doc Martin lately on Netflix. Other than that I think I've seen everything I want to see on it.

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2012

I also dislike that if you have a stream only account and would like to see if a Netflix title is available by their mail service, your account will no longer allow it, which wasn't always the case.

by Anonymousreply 2206/14/2012

So how does Hulu compare?

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2012

I love it. But I perfer the old movies from the 40's and 50's.

Just saw classic Barbara Stanwck flim.

by Anonymousreply 2406/14/2012

The biggest blunder that Netflix ever made was going with the Microsoft Silverlight player. It's a horrid pig - I can watch it consume more and more memory as time goes on. It necessitates killing plugin-container and Firefox, then launching Firefox again and all is fine for a time.

The worst part is that Microsoft has now backed away from Silverlight. So Netflix is now using an UNSUPPORTED media player.

by Anonymousreply 2506/14/2012

Ah r25, this must be what's happening to me. Brand new computer and twice when trying to watch a Netflix movie the computer shuts down and reboots after about 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 2606/14/2012

Hulu has its own limitations of course but I still think it is worth supporting it as a subscriber. If we are going to move to a society where people aren't expected to subscribe to cable packages to watch television shows we need to support the services that try to do that. And it does have a fair amount of content to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2012

You can't stream Thor on AppleTV iTunes for some reason - it is only available for purchase.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2012

Do many of the "HD" shows on Netflix look HORRIBLE - I don't know how they can get away with calling them HD. Also, so many of he standard def shows are extremely poor quality.

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2012

No,r28, but you can RENT and temporarily download a movie on iTunes- when you can't stream it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2012

All the local rental stores have closed down.

The Blockbusters drove the local art-house rental shop out of business. Then Netflix drove BB out of business. We have no where to rent in town.

It's fucking irritating.

by Anonymousreply 3106/14/2012

I check out DVDs from the library. That takes more lead time than running to a local video store, so it's not as convenient. But between the library, interlibrary loan, a HuluPlus subscription and Amazon Prime, I have enough content to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3206/14/2012

[quote]Do many of the "HD" shows on Netflix look HORRIBLE - I don't know how they can get away with calling them HD. Also, so many of he standard def shows are extremely poor quality.

That all has to do with the film. Look at Close Encounters on Blu-Ray or HD. The entire movie is full of grain, looks terrible and it is because Spielberg shot it that way. It was never shot to be be high definition but projected on a big screen. That's how he wanted it to look like.

I have never had a problem either on a PC or a BluRay player streaming NetFLix, ever.

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2012

Thor and Drive are now available on Netflix! Thor is only available for purchasing on other streaming websites.

by Anonymousreply 3406/14/2012

Strange, Netflix streams better on my Apple TV than my Sony Player.

by Anonymousreply 3506/14/2012

I don't want to support Hulu because I think their ad model is horrible. A consumer shouldn't have to pay for content and be forced to watch ads. No one should ever be subjected to ads and the idiotic companies who pay for them need to realize they do the absolute opposite of their intention. I'm glad Hulu at least shows The Criterion Collection without commercial interruption, but that's not enough.

Netflix has very little content I'm interested so it'd be a waste of money to subscribe. iTunes prices are ridiculous. And I haven't really looked into Amazon for streaming.

by Anonymousreply 3606/14/2012

Amazon Prime is over $80 a year. And, they just released the Paramount catalog for streaming, that's pretty much a bargin.

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2012

Thor is a piece of crap movie and there are 100s of other more desirable movies that should be available for streaming but aren't.

by Anonymousreply 3806/14/2012

I emailed Warner about making Brewster McCloud available for streaming on Macs as it is only availalble for PCs and they never got back to me. They'r fucking backwards morons. They releases completely proprietary software that only worked on old Windows machines for screener viewing this past awards season and then took three weeks to update it so people could actually watch their shit. It was such a hassle I refused to vote for any of their crap.

by Anonymousreply 3906/14/2012

R40, what the fuck is wrong with you? DVDs of Brewster McCloud are 20-25 bucks. i would have been happy to pay the streaming price if they offered it, but they only support dead systems as a rule.

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2012

Just watched Thor on Netflix - horrible quality - wait until it's on cable and see in true HD.

by Anonymousreply 4206/14/2012

I'm with R22. How FUCKING obnoxious that you can't search their entire catalog? How do I know what's available on DVD if I only pay for streaming? Sometimes I want to read movie reviews or see the ratings for a movie that isn't available on streaming (which is basically all of them). But noooooo, can't do that! I used to have to sign out of my account in order to be able to search their DVD titles, but now it appears you can't even do that! FUCK NETFLIX, what a fucking clusterfuck headache! Canceling just as soon as this billing cycle is up.

by Anonymousreply 4306/15/2012

I heard that it raise your cap? Is that a word for condom?

by Anonymousreply 4406/15/2012

[quote]I don't want to support Hulu because I think their ad model is horrible. A consumer shouldn't have to pay for content and be forced to watch ads.

How is it different from cable? You're paying for content and watching commercials. In the case of cable, you're paying to watch stations you could be watching for free over the air, and they leave in the commercials.

Hulu is far from perfect, but between the "HD" and the back catalog, I'm not terribly bothered by the 7.99 I pay for Hulu Plus (I'm a cord-cutter with a Mac Mini plugged straight into a flat screen). I do dislike that what used to be one commercial per break has slowly upped to two or three. But the service seems a lot more stable and functional than even a year ago (contrary to Netflix) and a lot of the older stuff that you can only get in Hulu Plus doesn't have any ads except for one at the beginning. Picture-qualitywise I'm happy.

If I were also paying for a cable subscription, another subscription to Hulu and having to watch ads would seem extortionary. But I swapped the $75 cable bill where I got commercials for an $8 Hulu bill where I get commercials (I also have Netflix streaming, so TV costs me $16 a month on top of Internet.)

Netflix I used to watch in Firefox but the quality got to be beyond awful. I get far better and more stable results watching through my Samsung Blu-ray player.

by Anonymousreply 4506/15/2012

[quote]How FUCKING obnoxious that you can't search their entire catalog?

Oh here, ya big baby.

by Anonymousreply 4606/15/2012

What horse shit. We've now lowered our expectations to the point that we've come to accept the fact no longer can we watch movies without interruption. So much for technology making ANYTHING better. Fuck Netflix. Fuck any company that takes your money on the promise that It might work, but certainly won't work reliably.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

I refuse to watch any ads ever.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2012

[quote]Thor is only available for purchasing on other streaming websites.

Thor is available for free streaming on Amazon Video if you have Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2012

It turns out my new tv comes with a free year of unlimited Netflix streaming. I am enjoying it. I wish Amazon would create an even decent not great interface for browsing their videos, though. It's an unusable mess.

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

D

by Anonymousreply 5112/08/2012

What are you "ad" people talking about? My Netflix has no ads.

by Anonymousreply 5212/08/2012

I don't understand what posters are talking about regarding Netflix "cutting out." If that's happening it's an issue with your provider, usually because you have a slow connection. I never get interruptions.

by Anonymousreply 5312/08/2012

If Thor is your bragging point. . . well.....

by Anonymousreply 5412/08/2012

I watched American Horror Show on Netflix streaming last night. It sucked.

Being able to watch garbage like that as soon as it airs is the difference between paying $200/month for cable or $8.00 for Netflix Streaming. No thanks.

I've seen some very good shows like Breaking Bad. One of the things I like most is being able to watch the episodes back to back with no commercial breaks. It's much more enjoyable to me than waiting a week between episodes. I have also watched some very good British TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 5512/09/2012

It sucked to watch American Horror Story a year late or you think the show stinks?

by Anonymousreply 5612/09/2012

Good if you don't mind sub-par picture quality. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 5712/09/2012

[quote] I watched American Horror Show on Netflix streaming last night.

R55 is a thousand years old.

by Anonymousreply 5812/09/2012

R57 is clinging to his plasma

by Anonymousreply 5912/09/2012

I was going to watch A CHRISTMAS TALE today but Netflix has taken it off the Instant View list. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 6012/09/2012

R61 has dial up

by Anonymousreply 6212/09/2012

For the Netflix disc section, why do they list discs they don't have? Did they have these discs at one time and they were lost or damaged? It's annoying to see a title, only to see that it's not available.

And I don't understand how their buyers think. The following discs are currently unavailable. Can't they purchase more?

To Kill A Mockingbird (a classic)

Heartburn (Streep, Nicholson)

The Misfits (Monroe, Gable, Clift)

by Anonymousreply 6312/09/2012

Treebeard beat me to it. R55 is a bitchy eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 6412/09/2012

Since no one's actually *answered* the question first posed six months ago: the reason Netflix's streaming selection sucks so badly is entirely due to the big studios, not Netflix. They are scared SHITLESS about the prospect of unlimited free downloads of unlimited movies, based on the assumption (a reasonable one, actually) that many people will largely stop going to movie theaters if they have immediate, on-demand access to basically any movie ever made. That would destroy the studios' business model, and thus, they're putting more and more restrictions on both streaming video and DVD rentals. For those of you still on Netflix DVD delivery, have you not noticed that the overwhelming majority of new rentals lack ANY special features? Or that movies aren't released for the rental market until a full MONTH after they appear for sale in stores or online? (and I think that's going up to six or eight weeks for some studios)

Btw if you're not getting HD-quality streaming video, the problem is your Internet speed, not Netflix. It's been literally years since I last had any streaming problems with HD; I'm on a relatively fast 20Mbps cable modem. Also, I've never had a problem streaming videos on my browser, but that's probably because I have a MacBook and some of you have settled for the memory-deprived piece of shit that is a Windows PC running dozens of bloatware programs simultaneously that you never even know about.

by Anonymousreply 6512/09/2012

They've added a lot of 50s tv comedies and even YOU BET YOUR LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 6612/09/2012

For the most part, I only use Netflix to catch up on TV series that sound interesting, and I usually do a marathon viewing of one season in one weekend. That's how I started watching "Breaking Bad" as well as "Mad Men," among others. I have cable, but it comes free with my apartment; HBO would be extra, but I only watch a couple shows on it and just use my mom's HBO GO password on my iPad to stream them.

I'm way too fucking cheap to *pay* for individual streaming films from iTunes or Amazon; if I want to watch a movie that's on DVD but not on Netflix streaming, I just download the torrent for it.

by Anonymousreply 6712/09/2012

Like R55, I'm perfectly happy with Netflix streaming. I started in January with streaming + discs, but I quickly found that I couldn't turn discs around quickly enough to be getting as many as I wanted for the low price (I went back to discs briefly to get more Spartacus when they took it off streaming).

Granted, I don't have the newest stuff, and it helps I didn't have TV for 7 or 8 years (I was busy having fun instead of watching TV).

So I've not only caught up on shows, but am watching documentaries, watching TED talks (admittedly - these can be gotten free on TED, but Netflix suggests them to me based on my interests whereas I'd forget about TED.

I do wish there were more options, but for $8/month, it's soooo much cheaper than the old days when you had to rent things at a video store (in the late 90s, you were paying $20 a month just for 4-5 movies a month). I couldn't possibly complain about the low price relative to what I get.

by Anonymousreply 6812/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.