Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robin Roberts is ill and needs to have a bone marrow transplant

She just announced it on GMA. The good news is her sister will be her donor and is a perfect match.

Is this the end of Robin Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2012

Hmmm.

Has her breast cancer returned? Metastasized? New primary cancer?

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2012

Sad. I like her a lot. I thought she had breast cancer. Is a bone marrow transplant used for that? I thought that was more for leukemia...or is that what she has now?

I will be rooting for her.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2012

Here's the story from ABC.

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2012

"Robin said she will continue to host Good Morning America until her transplant, at which point she will miss "a chunk of time."

Here comes Katie Couric!

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2012

Here is a link which describes what she has.

I do not have it in me to snark on this at all.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2012

Wow. I'm not a huge fan of her aw-shucks style of hosting/journalism, but she's really been handed some health challenges in the last few years.

I sincerely wish her the best.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2012

Damn, this makes my heart ache. She's a sincerely wonderful person.

I wish her the best.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2012

they just gave her a basketball award...shocked at this.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2012

I just wish she'd come out. Straight America needs to know that gay people have health issues most easily addressed by marriage.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2012

[quote] gay people have health issues most easily addressed by marriage.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2012

Got my candy striper outfit pressed and ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2012

And she's a health nut.

Might as well sustain myself on this black raspberry ice cream I've been hearing about on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2012

My heart goes out. I can't stop crying. I told Marcella I'm going to need the rest of the day off.

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2012

When it comes to suffering she's up there with Liz Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2012

Why doesn't she come out ? And Sam too? Are they presumed to have no personal life at all?

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2012

Andy, they suffer from Barbie and Ken crotch.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2012

I wish her well but why must we constantly be subjected to some celebrity's health struggle in the context of "If my sharing this helps one person..." I wish scientists would actually do empirical studies on how often this monstrous star narcissism actually does indeed help even one of the groaning masses. But that wouldn't help the numerous books sold about their "journey". I long for the days when sickness was dealt with privately and with a modicum of dignity. If you died you died and we heard about it after the fact. If you recovered, great. But please don't bother us with the details.

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2012

Hope she has a partner to see her through this.

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2012

I was thinking she was being a bit overly dramatic during the segment, but when she made a humerous reference to the box of tissue velcroed to the sofa, my heart went out to her.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2012

Did you see her sister? She's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2012

r18 is really sort of correct, although it might seem heartless or cold to have that viewpoint. I DO wonder if anyone is really helped by hearing about the "brave struggle" or public battle with illness that these celebs put front and center? I also wonder how it really helps the celebs cope by having the "entire nation along for the fight?" "We are in this together." Really? REALLY? I mean, you need your friends and loved ones nearby and, of COURSE, some support from others, sometimes strangers. But advertising it all on the news? I think that perhaps keeping it a private matter might just be the most spiritually positive thing to do, overall. Maybe give it a quick mention. Something like "I am dealing with a private health matter and thank you all for your well wishes." Maybe telling WHAT it is so there is not endless speculation. But that is it.

People who like Robin Roberts will find a way to send the cards and flowers and notes of encouragement. But this stuff becomes tabloid fodder these days and is splashed all over the covers of the Enquirer. "Robin Roberts brave battle" or, god forbid, "Brave last days." It's TOO MUCH.

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2012

Actually, this is a case where celebrity publicity might do some good. When it comes to cancer, early detection can make all the difference. People often make the mistake of tolerating symptoms rather than seeking treatment for them.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2012

also - Robin needs a bone marrow transplant to fight this MDS. it just so happens that her sister is a nearly perfect match. all the information say that this disease is particularly problematic for african americans because of the lack of bone marrow matches. if her plight it public, it may increase peoples' awareness to become part of the bone marrow registry. everyone should do it - i had a friend with leukemia, so i am part of the registry. if someone ever matches me, i will donate. you give up next to nothing for this type of donation, and save a life.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2012

I think Ms Roberts wanted to break the news herself before the tabloids and gossip sites leaked it. She has shouldered this for some time - it's not like she came blubbering to us the minute she found out.

Also, as she explained, they will be installing a permanent shunt in her arm today and she will be bandaged.

I love her. If I'm awake and home, I always watch GMA.

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2012

Lesbians always seem to have a pretty sister.

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2012

I think it makes perfect sense for her to come out with a description of her disease and its treatment. It sure beats all of the endless conjecture and outright guessing to which we would otherwise be subjected.

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2012

Yes, you all are making perfect sense. I DO hope that they keep the sob sister media pirahna away from this, though. After her initial brave and admirable explanation this morning, I hope she continues her treatments with dignity and quiet courage. Access Hollywood, ET, and all the starfucker shows have a field day with this stuff. I just hope there is not a daily update on her "brave battle.' INFORMATION is good, as you all say, but they always want to turn it into a Lifetime movie for hand wringing hausfraus.

WHEN she beats this, I hope she lives a long and healthy rest of her life. I mean, c'mon, gurl, you been through HELL so FAR with this health stuff.

Like her or not, she seems like a nice person and a consummate professional.

by Anonymousreply 2806/11/2012

It doesn't sound good.

I'm sure that God awful Lara Spencer is just chomping at the bit to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 2906/11/2012

Oh god, Lara Spencer makes my TEETH HURT. What IS it about her that is intolerable?

by Anonymousreply 3006/11/2012

Anyone know what her chances of making it are?

by Anonymousreply 3106/11/2012

OK, I tend to have my Bullshit/Spin detector on high and can sense when people are being fake…

…and honestly, this seems like a very heartfelt, warm supportive group for Robin.

(Maybe that's why for the most part I'd rather watch them than the cold robots at TODAY)

*tearing up a bit*

by Anonymousreply 3206/11/2012

Folks, her doctors seem to think she has a high chance of beating it. If what she says is true, this is a result of her chemo.

My brother had something very similar - if not the same - and beat it. It just requires some serious drug intake.

by Anonymousreply 3306/11/2012

So it makes perfect sense to go public with your medical condition so that people can benefit from learning about the disease, but her sexual orientation is private. Right? Won't help anyone to know about that.

by Anonymousreply 3406/11/2012

I wonder how much the closet has negatively affected her immune system. First cancer, now this...

by Anonymousreply 3506/11/2012

Oh, no, R35. All of those perverts? Oh come on. What would all of those stay-at-home moms say. A gay black.

by Anonymousreply 3606/11/2012

I'd like her better if she came out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 3706/11/2012

Kudos to her. I'd go ballistic and lash out at everyone and everything in reach (out of fear and frustration).

by Anonymousreply 3806/11/2012

[quote] Actually, this is a case where celebrity publicity might do some good. When it comes to cancer, early detection can make all the difference

Not in this case. Her disease comes from previous cancer therapy. She has already been under the care of doctors who would detect this early, as would anyone who got the disease from previous cancer therapy.It really is kind of a vanity thing to announce on tv. "I got a disease from cancer treatment. I'll probably be ok, but you should know about it anyway."

by Anonymousreply 3906/11/2012

[quote]It really is kind of a vanity thing to announce on tv. "I got a disease from cancer treatment. I'll probably be ok, but you should know about it anyway."

First of all, cancer treatment is hardly a "vanity thing." You think it's better if she misses a big chunk of work after her transplant and viewers are left to wonder what is going on?

by Anonymousreply 4006/11/2012

There is no right or wrong way to deal with an illness. It is really up to the person going through it.

If she wants the audience to know, more power to her.

by Anonymousreply 4106/11/2012

It's either she tell the audience or the Enquierer does.

by Anonymousreply 4206/11/2012

[quote]Actually, this is a case where celebrity publicity might do some good. When it comes to cancer, early detection can make all the difference.

[quote]it just so happens that her sister is a nearly perfect match. all the information say that this disease is particularly problematic for african americans because of the lack of bone marrow matches. if her plight it public, it may increase peoples' awareness to become part of the bone marrow registry.

Two very good points. Black women, especially those that are celebrities, often do not speak publicly about these illnesses. Donna Summer just died and no one knew she had cancer. Black people are in dire need of increased awareness, and Im glad Robin is using her platform for it. It is very honorable for her to do this, especially when she has to present herself to millions of people every morning. She cant go and hide like most of us would want to do while undergoing treatment.

r39, I had a coworker, who also happened to be a black woman, who reacted that way. I honestly think its because she felt alone in her illness. Thats why awareness is important.

by Anonymousreply 4306/11/2012

The point about needing more Black participants in the Bone Marrow Registry is well taken. An African American colleague had leukemia a few years ago, and despite an exhaustive search her doctors were unable to find a donor match for a transplant. She had to use non-matching marrow that had been irradiated, which made the recovery process much less certain, slower and more painful.

Roberts has an excellent platform to encourage African Americans to join the Registry.

by Anonymousreply 4406/11/2012

Can't stand Robin Roberts, she should never have risen up the ranks at GMA.

by Anonymousreply 4706/11/2012

Uh, R47, Obama took care of that already. According to the latest polls 60 percent of African Americans support gay marriage. And I doubt Robin has that kind of pull anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4806/11/2012

And this one is the RESULT of the "cure" of the last one R6.

Doncha just luv modern medicine!

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2012

[quote]She just announced it on GMA. The good news is her sister will be her donor and is a perfect match.[/quote]

Is that Sally-Anne, who's (or was, at least) in TV news in New Orleans? I always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 5006/12/2012

Dana Perino of Fox News gave Robin a shout out, and said Robin is a wonderful person.

She also added that people should read the book that Robin and her mom wrote because it's great and shows their faith.

I'm assuming that Robin doesn't want to come out because she would piss off the Fundies.

by Anonymousreply 5106/14/2012

this is why you go public (i encourage everyone to sign up!):

by Anonymousreply 5206/27/2012

I came here to post that link, r53 .

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2012

Robin looks awful.

I assume her chances are not good?

by Anonymousreply 5410/11/2012

Is she returning to work?

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2012

[quote] I assume her chances are not good?

A bone marrow transplant, even with a 'perfect' match is risky. And recovery is slow. But the alternative is usually death.

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.