Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who will be remembered in 100 years?

Will people be listening to Nicki Minaj in 2112?

Will Michael Fassbender be revered for his body of work?

Will 50 Shades of Gray be taught in high school?

by Anonymousreply 16306/19/2012

I think that in 100 years, Andy Warhol will be remembered more for his diary than his art. He will be considered the Pepys of our time.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2012

This thread ALWAYS ends in tears.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2012

My vagina and back door sex tape will always be fresh and relevant, dolls.

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2012

Possibly no one

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2012

A hundred years? Probably not many.

Streep. Obama. Oprah. Clintons.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2012

Zac Efron

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2012

Cheryl. It lingers so.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2012

Darling OP, nobody is really listening to Nicki Minaj now. She will be forgotten by 2013.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2012

Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2012

R5 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2012

I'ma cut you, BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2012

Bill Gates will be remembered (for his charitable work)

Steve Jobs will be long forgotten

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2012

R12 = Malcolm Gladwell

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2012

I think it will be scientists (Hawkings, maybe?), politicians (def Obama), and writers (Toni Morrison comes to mind). A new cure, political firsts, and a great novel transcend any given time period, even if they go unappreciated during their own eras.

Actors and personalities (Oprah, Jon Stewart, maybe) will be known but not studied. They seem to be bigger alive and don't tend to cross generational lines. I mean who the hell under 45 knows who Walter Cronkite is? Or if they do, who cares? Yet he was a household name, a source of comfort, to everybody over 45.

I don't think we'll know yet for music. But I would guess the Beatles will still be big.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2012

John Stewart? How many remember Will Rogers?

Streep, Obama, Clintons. Maybe Harrison Ford.

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2012

Me and my esophagus will be in Guinness, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2012

Toni Morrison? Are you on crack?

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2012

George W. Bu$h, Inc. will be remembered for ruining the world ... possibly irreparably.

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2012

Harry Potter will be remembered and probably taught. Michael Jackson, obviously, if he still counts for this thread. Also the Beatles of course, going back even more.

100 years is a very long time for film stars, but I guess superstars like, yes, Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio will be recognized, by people who care a bit for film history.

Obama and the Clintons will be talked about for a long time, have films made about them etc.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2012

Oprah is already over NOW.

Um...Presidents will always be remembered. DUH.

Of Pop Music, the legends (Beatles, Elvis, Madonna, MJ, etc.) will remain so. But a current contender might---might---be Lady GaGa.

NO humorist will be remembered (Jon Stewart in 100 years? Please!). Who here thinks about Elaine May when you hear the name "Mike Nichols"?

Think about 1912, and get back to me.

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2012

Who knows? Maybe in 100 years they teach Reality TV history 101 in media arts schools while credible scientists and polititians are mere footnotes or long forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2012

Presidents are a given. Probably Hilary Clinton as well. Actors have a shot because people can keeping their films. So probably Robert De Niro, Streep.

TV folks like Oprah and Stewart don't have a shot. Folks barely remember Johnny Carson and he was huge. No reality TV folks but probably some athletes like Tiger Woods.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2012

keep seeing their films...obviously.

It's hard to remember famous people from the 80s while people like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean have been famous for more than 60 years. Aside from Micheal Jackson I can't think of any musicians from the last 30 years whose music will last.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2012

Elias Koteas will be remembered in 200 years.

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2012

Julianne Moore. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2012

Both Bushes, Obama, Dick Cheney, Kissinger, the Clintons, Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher.

Aretha Franklin (probably), Steven Spielberg, Bill Gates, Michael Jordan. Obviously that's just the English speaking world, biased toward the US.

A lot more people will be "remembered" 100 years from now than are now from 100 years ago because lots of sound footage of them exists.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2012

[quote]Think about 1912, and get back to me.

The Scott South Pole Expedition Disaster

The Titanic

Marcel Duchamp - Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2

"Alexander's Ragtime Band" w.m. Irving Berlin, E. Ray Goetz, A. Baldwin Sloane

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" w. Chauncey Olcott & George Graff Jr m. Ernest R. Ball

"It's A Long Way To Tipperary" w.m. Jack Judge & Harry H. Williams

Lucy Maud Montgomery - Chronicles of Avonlea

Thomas Mann - Death in Venice (Der Tod in Venedig)

Zane Grey - Riders of the Purple Sage

Jean Cocteau, La Danse de Sophocle

Charles Péguy, Le Porche du mystère de la deuxième vertu

Vachel Lindsay, Rhymes to be Traded for Bread

Wilbur Scoville devises the Scoville scale for measuring the heat of peppers.

Merck files patent applications for synthesis of the entactogenic drug MDMA, developed by Anton Köllisch.

Carl Jung publishes Wandlungen und Symbole der Libido (Psychology of the Unconscious).

The Sperry Corporation develops the first gyroscopic autopilot ("gyroscopic stabilizer apparatus") for aviation use.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2012

The Beatles

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2012

Walt Disney

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2012

Mae West

George Washington

Abraham Lincoln

Bill Gates

Steve Jobs

Adolph Hitler

Bette Davis

Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2012

Which gay star will be remembered. But not for AIDS. So that lets out Rock Hudson, the only big AIDS Boy.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2012

The posters who dismiss film performers and to a lesser degree tv performers should remember that 100 years ago film was in it's infancy and tv just a dream. We will have more lasting notable artists from these mediums because their work will still be around. Clint Eastwood sticks out to me. Morgan Freeman, Meryl, Nicholson, Hoffman. They're all halfway there. As far as younger talent, Clooney will be remembered. I thought Hanks would be considered a great but I'm not so sure any more. Winslet and Blanchett, I feel, will only get better with age. I think Emma Stone is going to have an amzing career. Beyonce and JayZ are very good at the business of entertainment. I have a feeling 10 or 20 years down the road they will have a nice little empire built.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2012

Rebecca Black

Joyce deWitt

Lea Michele

Diana Canova

Karen Valentine

Charlene Tilton

Melissa Sue Anderson

Joyce Bulifant

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2012

r28, yeah, Titanic. True enough!

But just because YOU think "Alexander's Ragtime Band" is generally remembered doesn't make it so.

Vachel LIndsay? Where?! I studied English in college 40 years ago and don't remember reading him.

LMM? Sure, if you live on PEI.

The Scoville Test, of course. Wilbur, not so much.

Perhaps we are not defining "remembered" the same way. I mean by the general populace.

BTW: What are you, the Supreme Court? The Sperry Corporation is not a "who."

Proof you just printed a list you found.

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2012

Erik Rhodes

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2012

Justin Bieber

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2012

Thatcher won't be remembered, as Queen Elizabeth overshadows her by virtue of sheer longevity. She will likely end up as Britain's longest reigning monarch - she is an icon of Western civilization, and oversaw significant changes and shifts in our culture.

JFK, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Ronald Reagan & Gorbachev, Mother Theresa, The Clintons, Bush, Obama.

Elvis and the Beatles, because they transformed the music industry into what it is today.

Madonna, because she re-defined the concept of fame.

Michael Jackson for his body of work, and bizarre life.

Marlon Brando and Meryl Streep, for talent and legend. Possibly Nicholson as well.

De Niro and Hoffman have become jokes, and I don't think Taxi Driver alone will ensure De Niro is remembered in 2112.

I don't see Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio remembered in a 100 years. Why should they?

Spielberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Coppola, Kubrick, Ingmar Bergman, Fellini, Truffaut, and Godard will be remembered as ground-breaking directors, each in their own way.

Oprah is completely irrevelant to the rest of the world, and she's over even now.

Tiger Woods... bitch, please. No single sports person will be remembered then, outside of niche groups. Who cares? Do we care about famous tennis players from the 1930s? No.

Lady Gaga brings nothing new to the table, and she will be forgotten in ten years' time. She doesn't even have an iconic hit like 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' that would ensure longevity.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2012

Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2012

Gaëtan Dugas

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2012

R38s list is pretty accurate, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2012

[quote]Proof you just printed a list you found.

Well, yeah, r35 -- do you think I carry around 1912 arcana in my head?

As for your "Proof!" go wag your freshly Mamma-washed penis somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2012

Obama as the first black president.

Queen Elizabeth as a historical figure, though no one will know much about her.

There aren't too many from entertainment who'll be remembered. Possibly The Beatles, Streisand, and Michael Jackson.

Movies will probably be so different in 100 years that our current films may be seen as quaint oddities. I don't think any current actors will still be well known in 100 years.

Some of the famous names from WWII will still be taught and remembered.

by Anonymousreply 4406/16/2012

Forgot to say:

Barbra Streisand will likely be remembered, as a famed voice and for her stature in showbiz.

Aretha Franklin *might* be remembered.

I think between those two, Barbra has the edge, because unlike Aretha she was highly relevant in several disciplines.

Bob Dylan will be remembered as the male counterpart to that, not necessarily for his voice, but for the legend that was heaped onto him in his lifetime.

Also, a couple of events will be remembered, because they have already transcended their original relevance (i.e. they've become iconic):

- Woodstock

- The fall of the Berlin Wall

- Princess Diana's death

- 911, obviously.

Possibly a couple of iconic pop culture images:

Brando as the Godfather; Darth Vader; E.T. & Jaws; Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's; Marilyn's skirt flying up; Davis lighting a cig, in All About Eve; Dietrich in men's clothing, in Morocco; Bogart looking into the eyes of Bergman; Diane Keaton as Annie Hall; Nicholson swinging the axe, in The Shining; Dallas and the character of J.R. Ewing; Warhol's paintings of Jackie/Liz/Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 4506/16/2012

I don't even remember half of the things R45 lists.

by Anonymousreply 4606/16/2012

Nobody is going to be remembered. Half of civilization will be wiped out by rising seas from global warming. There will be food shortages as the fertile areas turn to desert. The resulting wars will wipe out the rest of the human race. Only a handful of people will survive.

Oh and Cher will be on the last leg of her final world tour.

by Anonymousreply 4706/16/2012

I disagree, r44.

As stated upthread, we don't have many recordings from the 1910s, and are less likely to know about the people then, yet anyone with a smattering of education will have heard the names of:

- Albert Einstein

- Sigmund Freud

- D. H. Lawrence

- James Joyce

- Thomas Mann

- Katherine Mansfield

- Marie Curie

- Pablo Picasso

- Claude Debussy

- Lenin

They're all still part of OUR culture today, to varying degrees.

Considering that we're leaving behind a wealth of recordings, many more people will be remembered, and are likely to be a part of society in 2112.

100 years really isn't that far into the future.

by Anonymousreply 4806/16/2012

I assumed we were talking about people currently or recently famous. Of course there will be people who we remember, who will still be remembered. But I don't think there are that many, from our era, who will last another 100 years.

Also, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

by Anonymousreply 4906/16/2012

People who make the greatest impact on civilization will be remembered.

Not Bob Dylan. Seriously? Comne on. Think deeper.

by Anonymousreply 5006/16/2012

I think Clinton/Bush/Obama will all be remembered, not just because they're Presidents, but because of the dramatic times they presided over.

Reagan will be remembered, but I'm not sure if anyone will remember the first Bush beyond the fact that he was the second Bush's father.

I do think Bill Gates will be remembered (even taught in classes)... though mostly for his charitable work.

It's hard to tell with actors and actresses, imho.

by Anonymousreply 5106/16/2012

[quote]I do think Bill Gates will be remembered (even taught in classes)... though mostly for his charitable work.

Like Andrew Carnagie...

by Anonymousreply 5206/16/2012

[quote]Andrew Carnagie

by Anonymousreply 5306/16/2012

Miss Patsy Cline

John Paul II, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 5406/16/2012

Drabs now, mostly.

Not memorable.

Technical stuff, but not the persons, so dull nowadays.

Same old rich, same old hacks. New strong ideas, zippo. Bravery, zippo.

Too much conformity to code now. Fraidy cats.

I am a good poet, but no one can tell now.

by Anonymousreply 5506/16/2012

Nobody will really be remembered. Who we know now from 100 years ago will be remembered. Nobody from today. Obama as the first African-American president. But, that's it. Bill Gates? Probably not. Clinton? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 5606/16/2012

R56, we know most presidents today... maybe not everyone can name them all, but they're all taught in school. Clinton will be remembered, providing there's still a country here to teach about (and if Romney gets elected, that's certainly an open question).

by Anonymousreply 5706/16/2012

Judy Garland will be remembered as the greatest pop singer in music history.

by Anonymousreply 5806/16/2012

You're right. R57. They'll be taught in school.

by Anonymousreply 5906/16/2012

[quote]Nobody will really be remembered. Who we know now from 100 years ago will be remembered. Nobody from today.

This is such an idiotic statement. Embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 6006/16/2012

Only presidents.

Can you name any of the famous movie/music performers of 1912?

by Anonymousreply 6106/16/2012

Movie and music performers were just starting to be recorded/filmed in 1912 idiot. We're not talking Chopin here. This is pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 6206/16/2012

[quote]This is such an idiotic statement. Embarrassed for you.

Awww...bad day?

by Anonymousreply 6306/16/2012

[quote] Can you name any of the famous movie/music performers of 1912?

There are a few who are still famous, or infamous, but I don't know that I'd call them well known.

I recognize a lot of names from this list on Wikipedia, but only a few of them are still remembered. Maybe 5%-10% of the population could name one of them if asked.

by Anonymousreply 6406/16/2012

That's what I am saying, R61, but I'm an idiot. But, I was called an idiot probably by somebody who has been called idiot plenty of times in his life. So, it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 6506/16/2012

I don't know about Madonna. Most of the comments regarding her recent ass showing, tit baring antics are none too good. She's damaging whatever good will she had. There's a sense of "I've stayed too long at the fair" with her as it is.

Judy, Barbra and Aretha have influenced and continue to influence a number of people. People will always be rediscovering their material.

Whitney and MJ mainly because of their untimely passings and the drama surrounding their lives. I suspect plenty of books and possibly a movie or two about them will be made down the road.

Other singers. Mariah and Beyonce will be in the record books, so that will count for something.

by Anonymousreply 6606/16/2012

[quote]Spielberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Coppola, Kubrick, Ingmar Bergman, Fellini, Truffaut, and Godard will be remembered as ground-breaking directors, each in their own way.

There are three film directors in the history of film whose narrative and visual innovations influenced film language:

D.W. Griffith

Orson Welles

Everyone else uses film language in their own way, but no director other than the three above contributed to changes and inventions in film grammar. There are plenty of film books and film classes that elaborate on this.

The next group would be "auteurs': directors who create a new worldview, one that reflects their personal philosophies and morals. Their films have a common thread of recognizable characters and narratives. I would certainly put someone like Altman above Woody Allen, whose work can hardly be called groundbreaking (at least Altman's films have signature camera work). Not to mention: Bunuel, Antonioni, Fassbinder, Tarkovsky...

by Anonymousreply 6706/16/2012

Usually, the only people who are carried forward in the memory of mankind are conquerers and genre makers. Neither occurred in the 20th century and therefore most of the most famous people of the day will cancel each other out, as there are so many similar to them.

Instead of personalities, I believe that what will be remembered from the 20th century is Rock and roll and the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 6806/16/2012

[quote]5%-10% of the population could name one of them if asked.

Would this be considered 'remembered'? Does this include a small subculture of people or by a large group?

by Anonymousreply 6906/16/2012

Erm Charlie Chaplin, ever heard of the chap? Douglas Fairbanks, Ramon Novarro, VALENTINO

What is even wrong with you R61?

(Cinema was pretty much just starting, so don't try with "He was only a star since 1917")

by Anonymousreply 7006/16/2012

Sondheim--as a composer, perhaps only studied by music majors.

Harry Potter will be a footnote in popular culture and those who study children's literature will study him in the way they study Horatio Alger's novels--not as great writing, but as an important cultural phenomenon of the time. Children may read his novels for fun, but they will not read him (if reading still exists) as part of any formal curriculum.

by Anonymousreply 7106/16/2012

[quote]What is even wrong with you, R61?

Yeah, what is wrong with you, R61! You dumb son of a bitch! You are rattling these queens all up! How dare you!

by Anonymousreply 7206/16/2012

The idiotic R61 here, once again.

My point is, pop culture EXPONENTIALLY changes and grows every decade. This is why we don't have much of a connection to 1912 pop culture nowadays - it has more to do with the pattern of evolution of entertainment than it does with the technology points made here.

In 100 years, if we're still around, people will be doing something entirely different than they do now, in terms of entertaining themselves. I know we all love our pop icons of today and of the past few decades, and that much of this has to do with the fact that we're all GAY and have more of a tendency to follow iconic figures.

100 years from now, only presidents will be remembered, because politics will always be a driving force in the future way of life. FDR, Reagan, Nixon, Bush, Clinton, Eisenhower, Truman, Carter. ALL these figures created things in the past several decades which greatly shape the way Americans live their lives today.

I know it's ghastly to imagine it, but Judy Garland, Barbara Stanwyck, and Beatrice Arthur really don't have that much influence on life outside a clatch of diva worshipping show queens.

Ok, back to our circle jerk.

by Anonymousreply 7306/16/2012

Harry Potter will be more like Alexandre Dumas' novels, forever remembered as a cultural phenomenon, forever read for fun (of course not by as big a part of the population as when it first came out) and forever adapted for whatever kind of screen is popular then.

by Anonymousreply 7406/16/2012

Dear R61, CHARLIE CHAPLIN. Do you really not know who that is? He became a star 1914 and did something entirely different than what we do today for entertainment, but he is an iconic figure and definitely, definitely remembered, probably for a long time too. That's the point. Times change, (some)icons are remembered.

by Anonymousreply 7506/16/2012

R61, I think a few more people from our era will be remembered besides presidents, but it won't be a lot. When I was looking at the Wikipedia list I only counted 'remembered' if I knew the name and knew what they were famous for.

by Anonymousreply 7606/16/2012

Louis Carroll and Mark Twain are still studied. Harry Potter will go the way of Alger.

Lillian Gish, Mary Pickford?

by Anonymousreply 7706/16/2012

Stephen King

by Anonymousreply 7806/16/2012

It's just narcissistic delusion to think the entertainers you enjoy now will be well known in a century.

One day, you're going to die.

And so will the memory of most everything you cherish.

by Anonymousreply 7906/16/2012

Most of you are extremely delusional. It's embarrassing how wrapped up in your own time you are, and that you think these things will be remembered by future generations. Bill Clinton? Meryl Streep? Oprah Winfrey? Seriously? 9/11 will be like D-Day is now. People vaguely know what it is and the oldest living people will remember its happening. Obviously, the date will be more remembered as 9/11 is named for the date. But it will never be a national holiday or anything. It's only important to those of us who remember that day.

How many people can you remember from one hundred years ago? The ones that came instantly to my mind were George M. Cohan, Irving Berlin, Sarah Bernhardt, Ethel Barrymore, Will Rogers, and Sigmund Freud.

by Anonymousreply 8006/16/2012

To answer the Charlie Chaplin obsessive...

NO, Charlie Chaplin will not be remembered in 2112. That's my opinion, thanks for asking.

And yes, I know who Chaplin was. I'm 41, and I remember seeing a few of his old films back in my 20's, because the Robert Downey Jr. film inspired me to do so. That's my point. It takes a modern impetus to drive people to look that far back.

If you ask people in their 20s (and NOT show queens) if they know who Chaplin was, they will say no.

The question in the OP was very specific. It didn't say "pop culture only", but it's interesting how this question, asked of a room full of drama queers (myself included), most people are answering with Judy Garland, etc. LOLOLOL. Get over yourselves, darlings.

If, for some reason, technology gives us some kind of grand Judy Garland biopic in the year 2100, and it's well produced and well received, then YES, people will 'remember' who Judy was.

by Anonymousreply 8106/16/2012

No one here will be remembered. Not even Cheryl's stinky pussy.

by Anonymousreply 8206/16/2012

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone over age 16 or so knows who Charlie Chaplin is.

by Anonymousreply 8306/16/2012

I think young people know the name "Charlie Chaplin" and are definitely familiar with the image of the Little Tramp, but I don't think many people (young or old) know of the real Charles Chaplin and his personal life.

by Anonymousreply 8406/16/2012

Sorry, I have to agree with R61.

Who do people remember from the 19th century? Abraham Lincoln. And that's about it.

And who will they remember from the 20th century? FDR and Adolph Hitler. And that's about it.

Already people are forgetting the lessons of 9/11 and going back to their pop culture/consumerism induced comas.

People are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8506/16/2012

Look up "remember."

If they know the name Chaplin and are familiar with the tramp image, that's remembrance. What more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 8606/16/2012

Zhang Ziyi, Jay Chou, Leehom Wang, Ge You, Liu Xiang, Fan Bingbing. Certainly the art of Zhang Xiaogang and Zeng Fangzi, but Yue Minjun seems a bit pastiche.

Of course Hu and the transition to Xi Jinping and his subsequent administration, but Bo Xilai will probably be forgotten. Deng more than Mao, and probably the Fifth Generation directors (Zhang Yimou, Chen Kaige) as the "classicists" of cinema.

Oh, did you say something over there in our American subsidiary?

by Anonymousreply 8706/16/2012

R87 has a point. The Chinese will be taking over in less than a decade.

by Anonymousreply 8806/16/2012

Al Gore.

by Anonymousreply 8906/16/2012

Most people today won't watch a film in black and white.

All our media will seem quaintly unappetizing in 2112.

The music will seem old-fashion and the acting will seem oddly mannered, with false ways of speaking.

by Anonymousreply 9006/16/2012

Diana, Princess of Wales, will be remembered.

But not the rottweiler, Camillla.

by Anonymousreply 9106/16/2012

We will all be forgotten but not Judy.

by Anonymousreply 9206/16/2012

I really can't think of a reason the Clintons would be remembered. FDR, yes, and Obama. But not Bill.

by Anonymousreply 9306/16/2012

Mao Zedong, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela

by Anonymousreply 9406/16/2012

Lots more will be remembered in 100 years time than we remember from 2012 because technology will preserve more - photography, sound recording, films. Also, technology in 100 years time will make it more easily available.

Who will be remembered by general popular culture may be a different issue. I think musicians like Bruce Springsteen, Madonna and others of that league and longevity. Movie stars like Brad Pitt, even, sadly Tom Cruise. Ones who are "iconic" and whose image personofies their era.

by Anonymousreply 9506/16/2012

"Will 50 Shades of Gray be taught in high school?"

NO. In fact, many libraries don't want it in their collections, despite it being so in demand. There's a flap about it; the argument is that hey, if that's what people (well, women actually) are dying to read, then give the library patrons what they want. On the other hand, librarians see FSOG for what it is: atrocious writing, a worthless piece of trash, soft porn.

It's not going to be "taught" in high schools, or anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 9606/16/2012

Queen Elizabeth II, along with Charles & Diana are guaranteed their place in history (as are all royals and those associated with them - Lady Jane Grey, anyone?)

Osama Bin Laden

by Anonymousreply 9706/16/2012

The same people we remember today from 100+ years ago. Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo etc.

People who have a good shot at posterity: Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Barack Obama, James Brown, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Jonah Hill (j/k)

by Anonymousreply 9806/16/2012

[quote]People who have a good shot at posterity

It ended when you mentioned the king of wife beating.

by Anonymousreply 9906/16/2012

Barack Obama, Meryl Streep, Barbra Streisand, Oprah, Judy Garland, The Beatles, Bill Cosby, Betty White.

by Anonymousreply 10006/16/2012

Tracie Bennett's performance in END OF THE RAINBOW

David Tyler Muir

by Anonymousreply 10106/16/2012

President Hillary Clinton 2016

by Anonymousreply 10206/16/2012

Um, hello???

Audra McDonald just won a fucking TONY, you ignorant bitches! She will SURELY be famous FOR-EVAHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 10306/16/2012

R21, I always think of Elaine May when I hear the name "Mike Nichols." I do not always think of "Mike Nichols" when I hear the name "Elaine May." I usually do think of Stanley Donen, though. Then I occasionally think of Yvette Mimieux, but can't always think of her name.

by Anonymousreply 10406/16/2012

If he's still working, people will remember Abe Vigoda.

by Anonymousreply 10506/16/2012

R103. Excuse me. If we're talking memorable black bitches, it's me...not Tony Schmony Audra.

by Anonymousreply 10606/16/2012

Steve Jobs

by Anonymousreply 10706/16/2012

Harry Dean Stanton and Billy Barty

by Anonymousreply 10806/16/2012

No, no and no.

Meryl Streep! Judy fucking Garland? Lillian Gish (who is that?) remembered a century from now??? You queens are completely delusional and out of touch.

The reality is that we will only barely remember the stand outs and the remarkable. FDR, Hoover, Kennedy, George Bush Jr, Gershwin, Tchaikovsky, Picasso, O'Keeffe, Darwin, Mandela, Orson Wells, Marilyn Monroe, Bill Gates, The Beatles, Alexander Graham Bell, Queen Elizabeth, Marie Curie, Jung & Freud, The Titanic, WW1 and WW2, Hitler, Churchill, Bin Laden, Chaplin to name a handful. Possibly Stephen King (books may become classics), Obama (for being the first black president but not if he doesn’t get a second term) Madonna (if she doesn’t fuck it up any more than she already has), Michael Jackson (but there has to be some fondness to entice people to remember) Oh there will be lists of famous people like the one on Wikipedia from R64, which could be looked up in 100 years, but no-one will remember them or care.

No television stars of the present will be remembered. Our current forms of entertainment (screened films in theatres, video console games and television) will be completely antique and quaint in 100 years. Totally redundant to them as silent films and radio plays are to us now. The formats will change so dramatically that there won’t be much that will be retained - if anything - just like it is today. Even if it is retained - no-one will be interested - it won’t make sense to them. No-one is interested in silent film stars, black and white movies, newspaper daily stories or radio plays now are they? The formats are redundant.

Think to the English monarchs that we can remember - Queen Elizabeth 1, King Henry the 8th and Queen Victoria. That's it. These monarchs span hundreds of years and that's all the average person could dredge up.

Something that could possibly be added to the list are corporations – Microsoft and Apple might be remembered for changing the technology of the time.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 10906/16/2012

Another vote for Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 11006/16/2012

Diane von Furstenburg-Diller and her wrap dress.

by Anonymousreply 11106/16/2012

Based on what R110?

by Anonymousreply 11206/16/2012

i highly doubt Meryl will be as famous a hundred years from now as she is today. acting styles change quickly with time and what seems authentic today will seem mannered or awkward to the eyes of the next generation. With actresses, beauty and noteriety make a legend more than talent. I would bet that Angelina Jolie maintains legendary status far longer than most actresses of her generation or the 2-3 generations preceeding it did, and that includes streep

by Anonymousreply 11306/16/2012

R109. Lillian Gish has been remembered...and it's been 100 years. Why wouldn't Meryl Streep or Judy Garland be remembered?

By the way, I'll add Katharine Hepburn to the list of those remembered.

by Anonymousreply 11406/16/2012

R109, I'm interested in silent films.

by Anonymousreply 11506/16/2012

You'll both be dead soon R115 and R114.

Incidentally - we were talking about what the masses will remember - not you personally.

Lillian Gish and Judy Garland will not be remembered. They are barely remembered now and only by very old queens like you.

by Anonymousreply 11606/16/2012

I think actors would have to be iconic to be remembered. And there aren't any truly iconic actors today. I think musicians and singers have a good chance of being remembered. Like Madonna, MJ,The Supremes, Beetles, Jazz greats, and many others. Aretha is a possibility because her songs and her affiliation with The Civil Rights Movement. But I guess The Supremes, Beetles, and Aretha wouldn't count because they are from another generation and aren't current. Obama without a doubt. I think Oprah has a chance of being remembered because of her story and what it represents.

by Anonymousreply 11706/16/2012

R44, are you referring to me, R42? I was agreeing that the name Charlie Chaplin and his Little Tramp are remembered. I just added the second half to my sentence 'cause R39 was suggesting that Chaplin is not remembered at all by young people, and I was merely stating that they may not know of his personal life, but his name and image are instantly recognizable, even by the ignoramus.

R44, people kinda sorta remember Queen Victoria. Her name is synonymous with an entire epoch (Victorian) and they know she was a Queen though probably not much else.

Other people from the 20th Century who would still be remember, I think Elvis and Marilyn Monroe. They both have a huge following, and this August Marilyn would have been dead 50 years (or half a century) and still going strong. And like Chaplin and Victoria, people may now know specifics about their personal lives, but their names and image are recognizable.

by Anonymousreply 11806/16/2012

[quote]Meryl Streep! Judy fucking Garland? Lillian Gish (who is that?) remembered a century from now??? You queens are completely delusional and out of touch.

Hahaha, you fool. Lillian Gish is a silent film star from 100 fucking years ago and that's why someone brought her up - as someone who they remember from 100 years ago, not someone who is current today and WILL be remembered in 100 years. How slow are some of you?

You clearly have no idea who she is. That's the beauty about stars from the 1910s we can already discuss, if we matter of factly remember them, we don't have to speculate.

Get it already?

[quote]Michael Jackson (but there has to be some fondness to entice people to remember)

Talk about being out of touch. People LOVE Michael Jackson. He is like a revered saint in places like India(which has a few inhabitants, I heard). The US is the only place where he still has somewhat of a bad rep, but this is decreasing.

by Anonymousreply 11906/17/2012

Madonna? Nobody is going to remember her in 15 years much less 100. She's desperate for attention now, flashing her 54 year old titties and ass. She's never done anything of cultural importance.

If Madonna were 20 years old right now she'd never even bother with music - she'd be emulating Kim Kardashian and pining away for her own reality show. Please.

by Anonymousreply 12006/17/2012

How about Star Wars or Star Trek?

by Anonymousreply 12106/17/2012

Here's the mistake too many are making: WE don't just remember LG; WE actaully SAW HER in the great Robert Mitchum movie "The Night of the Hunter."

WE remember Titanic because we grew up while survivors lived. We saw major movies about the tragedy.

WE remember Nelson Eddy and Jeannette MacDonald because we saw movies galore when we were youngsters.

WE know our history---including many more British monarchs than H8, V, and EII---because WE WERE TAUGHT HISTORY, NOT "SOCIAL STUDIES." And we also learned history from, yes, TV, with Richard Greene as Robin Hood.

WE old fogeys now observe the Age of Amnesia, wherein Watergate is meaningless; VietNam suggests just a beach party rave; the Civil War happened at the same time as every other war, because, hey---we're studying CONCEPTS now.

The Fascist Corporate Class has won.

by Anonymousreply 12206/17/2012

Your caftan is askew, r122.

by Anonymousreply 12306/17/2012

[quote]are you referring to me, [R42]? I was agreeing that the name Charlie Chaplin and his Little Tramp are remembered.

I think you have the numbers wrong because you don't see all replies. You need to reload datalounge. If you see this...

Star Trek is going strong for 50 years now. Pretty impressive so far.

by Anonymousreply 12406/17/2012

r109, what a silly list full of histrionics.

Who is O'Keeffe, exactly? Hoover?? Bell?? Tchaikovsky is not know by the average, even somewhat educated person. You need to be a lover of classical music to know who he is.

You're a fan of his, because he was gay.

O'Keeffe! Seriously...

Secondly, cinemas will definitely be around then, because people need to take their date somewhere. You know, human sexuality WILL be around in a 100 years' time. And romantic comedies WILL be played at theatres in the future.

Black and white films are still around even now. 'The Artist' just won Best Picture this year, and several other recent films are in b&w.

by Anonymousreply 12506/17/2012

r113 has got to be joking. Angeline Jolie can't carry a non-action film at the box office (how many people saw 'A Mighty Heart' and 'Changeling'??)

She's an action star and a tabloid queen, and nothing else. She will be forgotten in ten years' time.

Streep churns out classic performance after classic performance, and her style is quite fluid. It's acting based on what 'real people' are like, i.e. it won't look dated in a 100 years' time, because there will always be a Karen Silkwood and a Susan Orlean and a Lindy Chamberlain in this world.

Acting that WASN'T based on 'real', but was about movie star wattage, is bound to look dated after a while, cf. Katharine Hepburn.

Also, we DO know about famed performers from the early 1900s. Sarah Bernhardt, Isadora Duncan, etc.

Streep and Brando will remain legend.

by Anonymousreply 12606/17/2012

R109, you lost me at Stephen King. Good gawd.

As long as there is The Wizard of Oz, people will remember Judy Garland. Same with Vivienne Leigh and Clark Gable, as long as people still watch Gone With The Wind.

Angelina Jolie has little chance of being remembered. She has no iconic roles.

by Anonymousreply 12706/17/2012

I love how R125 had never heard of The Nutcracker Suite.

Streep will be remembered for her body of work, the same way people remember Hepburn or Davis. Don't know about 100 years though. Definitely 80.

by Anonymousreply 12806/17/2012

"She's never done anything of cultural importance"

Madonna has completely re-defined the concept of fame and celebrity - few people got the chance that she had and made use of in the 80s and 90s.

She has DOMINATED the zeitgeist with an iron fist, for at least 20 years - unlike anybody else before her, because the mass media wasn't as developed yet.

She also has a couple of indelible hit singles. 'Like a Virgin' is classic, and 'Material Girl' sums up the spirit of an entire decade.

It doesn't matter that you/I/we dislike her personally; it also doesn't matter that she's making a fool of herself these days (she clearly does).

Her place in the annals of popular culture is secure.

by Anonymousreply 12906/17/2012

r128, you misunderstood my statement.

I know and love all of Tchaikovsky's work. I love his fabulous violin concerto, his six symphonies, his magnificent piano concertos, and all his ballet music.

AND YET, my dear friend, and yet: average people (not even dumb people, just average) don't know who he is.

Mozart and Beethoven: yes.

No other classical composer is on that level of fame. No Wagner, no Debussy, no Rachmaninov.

Tchaikovsky, O'Keeffe (!!), and J. Edgar Hoover do NOT belong on this list. They require interest in art/music/the FBI, and most people don't have that.

by Anonymousreply 13006/17/2012

Madonna will be remembered much like Clara Bow is now --- a competent artist who is best remembered for her slutty ways. She'll be a footnote in a century and delegated to the equivalent of a Jeopardy/Trivial Pursuit question.

by Anonymousreply 13106/17/2012

Popular authors and their books fade.... Witness the fate of Owen Meredith's 19th century best seller, LUCILLE, published in the USA in over 2000 editions.

by Anonymousreply 13206/17/2012

Again, r313: you're ignoring that Madonna transformed popular culture.

Clara Bow: not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13306/17/2012

Yes R129 and to most sane people her career fizzled out in the early '90s and has been only moderately successful since then in fits and starts, like a twitching corpse. She has no chance of increasing her fan base.

by Anonymousreply 13406/17/2012

"Madonna will be remembered much like Clara Bow is now --- a competent artist who is best remembered for her slutty ways. She'll be a footnote in a century and delegated to the equivalent of a Jeopardy/Trivial Pursuit question."

In that case, all the other pop stars that came after her won't be remembered, period.

by Anonymousreply 13506/17/2012

R128, again I say The Nutcracker Suite.

Goodbye to your smug ass.

by Anonymousreply 13606/17/2012

If anybody re-defined the concept of fame and celebrity, it was Elizabeth Taylor.

The Burton-Taylor romance was the first instance of Hollywood having its doors blown wide open and celebrities dirty laundry being put on display for the world to view. I often say this should be taught in history classes because I believe it is the true beginning of the celebrity driven media, tabloid reading culture we have arrived at now.

Madonna was famous, but she did not redefine the concept by any means. Taylor did.

by Anonymousreply 13706/17/2012

r137, Madonna took it to new extremes. Her transforming culture was not just about that, though: it was about manipulating the media, something Taylor had had no interest in.

Madonna was a creature of the mass media, but she actually controlled the medium that had spawned her.

She is much more than just a 'slutty singer', and that is why her place is secure, whether we like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 13806/17/2012

r136, the Nutcracker Suite is not known to the masses.

Popular with people who love classical music? Yes.

Popular with parents who want their kids to see a beautiful and accessible ballet? Yes.

Outside of bourgeoise circles: UKNOWN!

Goodbye to your myopic and condescending ass.

by Anonymousreply 13906/17/2012

Oprah will be remembered for her philanthropy just as Bill & Malinda Gates & Warren Buffett will be for the same.

Love her or hate her ... the school she built in Africa and the generation after generation of girls it will educate and send out into the world will keep her recognized on a global level. OWN and her weekly show & how crazy narcissistic she got will not be remembered. NTM her story is is just as compelling as Obama. She came from nothing and became a billionaire and incredibly influential.

Philanthropy will work the same for Gates & Buffett IMO, their large scale endeavors will make them more memorable to a larger group of people world wide then merely those people who share their professions 100 years from now. In the longview Gates will have the better legacy than Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 14006/17/2012

R138 Taylor could manipulate the media with the best of them. She broke the ground for everyone.

Madonna was good at shock value, but that's not the same as transforming the importance and the very definition of celebrity. Taylor did all of that.

I would say the only person who came close to doing what Taylor did was Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 14106/17/2012

The people living in 100 years time will not care too much about our current little spats and feuds and pedantic criticisms. They'll remember important cultural figures on the basis of the overall mark of their work. So, believe it or not people in 100 years time will remember Madonna because of what Madonna was doing in 1985 and 1995 as well as 2012 (which many of us still find fantastic, btw). No one will give a fuck about pedantic criticisms of her today about showing her ass or - shock, horror! - being "old". She'll be remembered for her body of work, her role in shaping late-20th-century and even early-21st-century culture and challenging ideas about gender and sexuality. And, yes, she has - and this will be even more apparent when looked at from the distance of time.

Similarly, someone like Meryl Streep will be remembered far more than Angelina Jolie because Angelina Jolie is not really about anything except the ephemeral demands of contemporary media and gossip columns. Meryl Streep will have a far more enduring reputation and her work will still be of interest and intrigue to people a century from today.

In terms of remembering, let's not forget it's going to be an awful lot easier to remember in 100 years time because of technology. So much material will be instantaneously available. The point is, which figures will still be of cultural and social significance and whose work will still be enjoyed, when taken out of the social context that gives it its contemporary value.

by Anonymousreply 14206/17/2012

Hey, r123: Try asking a 20-yr-old if he knows what "caftan" means.

Just because someone here knows something/someone, doesn't address the larger question about "in general."

Cy Young Award winners don't know who Cy Young was.

MANY people no longer have a clue as to who the Beatles were, FGS, let alone their cultural impact. Wings is even ancient history to them.

Ed Sullivsn? Forgotten. Don't even ask about his guests/performers!

Und so veiter.

by Anonymousreply 14306/17/2012

Madonna knew how to work the media. She's street smart and savvy, to a point. But her crazed fanatics are ridiculous.

Can you honestly say Madonna has been as musically influential as Aretha, Barbra, Judy, Billie, etc? Do you think people will be studying her voice and her music the way students are still rediscovering the others some fifty years later?

And who has she truly and honestly influenced? Britney Spears, Katy Perry? Give me a break. Disposable pop acts who get by on their image. Yes, it's become more apparent as the years have gone by what her influence has really been on the music scene. Joni Mitchell said as much. And while I don't think that's entirely Madonna's fault, her antics in the last decade have done nothing to help the matter.

Look I think she had a great period of music and videos from 1983-2000 that she should be proud of (even though doesn't seem to be and does everything in her power to ignore it). And she will be in the record books for a period of time, at least. But she's no different from MJ, Mariah, Whitney, and a host of others.

by Anonymousreply 14406/17/2012

Imagine someone watching "Who's That Girl?" or "Body of Evidence" in 100 years....

And they'll wonder "Were they really that dumb back then?"

by Anonymousreply 14506/17/2012

Justin Bieber just might make to the next century. If he's still making popular music in 50 years he'll probably be remembered in 100.

by Anonymousreply 14606/17/2012

As for presidents, some are more memorable than others.100 years from now the last 30 years may be seen as a 2nd Gilded Age. And how many of them do we talk about now?

Hayes (1876-1880) Garfield (1881) Arthur (1881-1885) Cleveland (1885-1889, 1893-1897) Harrison (1889-1893) McKinley (1897-1901)

- Reagan will become less memorable as future generations have other conflicts to deal with other than the cold war & Russians. We already see that shift now post 9/11, Millennials onward don't "cling" to the cold war victory quite like modern day baby boomer Rs do. So they will see more clearly that it was a conflict that spanned & was managed by a handful of presidents who all did their share. NTM other outside factors not related to the USA.

He was also the start of "trickle down/ supply side economics" and deregulation, After the baby boomers die off all that are left are the generations who are the most royally fucked by these policies. Videos of tea baggers screaming against HCR reform but hypocritically demanding the "Govt not touch their medicare" and none of them insisting that the unpaid for Med Part D be repealed, which just double downs the entitlements of their generation and won't exist for any other ... that position won't age well. And the fact that these nihilists worship Reagan will further diminish his legacy by association.

- Bill Clinton - I think he will be less memorable than people think. Lewinsky and impeachment will became irrelevant just like it has already. The "projected surplus" was comprised of bubbles and financial engineering and wasn't real. On the plus he didn't spend money like the Rs that preceded and would follow him did and tax rates were not remotely high in comparison what future generations will be forced to pay because Norquist & Co. kept deferring taxes to future generations. Regretfully the policies he complied with Rs on NAFTA, repeal of Glass Steagal and his role in the boom/bust economy along with DOMA, DADT would appear as bad marks on his record. But he had to work with what he had.

- Hillary Clinton will be mentioned in history books time and time again as part of women's history. She has a very unique resume that will likely be unmatched for quite some time. First Lady, Female candidate for president with a genuine shot to win, Secretary of State. In the long view history will give her credit for trying to get HCR passed. The costly status quo won't be looked on as affectionately by future generations.

- George HW Bush - will be forgettable due to the 1 term, but the father/son president honor will keep him in history books as a mention.

- George W Bush/Dick Cheney - oversaw the fall of the American Empire. Two "Vietnams" and in time Post Boomers there will be decades of detailed rehashing of the Bush/Rumsfield military blunders and wasted money. The financial collapse at the end of his term and decades from now when people finally get that the "old normal" is not returning so easily no matter how many times they shuffle presidents ... they will despise him even more.

- Obama will be remembered clearly because his is the first black president and USA was the first country to vote in a minority president. But on the flip side there is hours of footage of tea baggers and fox news etc treating him like a ni**er. He'll be seen as Jackie Robinson type who remained gracefull during all the disrespect. His record by the numbers isn't bad considering what he inherited. Factually there is more job growth and less govt spending than Rs that proceeded him. Like Clinton regretfully his bad marks will be those policies he compromised with Rs on to get enough votes to pass, Dodd/Frank is watered down, extension of bush tax cuts added more to deficit, couldn't get public option nevermind single payer. But like Hillary & Carter he will get credit for trying to get HCR passed in contrast to Republicans who went against every alternative to the status quo even their own former solutions.

by Anonymousreply 14706/17/2012

"the school she built in Africa and the generation after generation of girls it will educate and send out into the world will keep her recognized on a global level"

It's a worthy project, for sure, but not known here in Europe EVEN NOW.

"Will keep her recognized on a global level" Such bullshit, seriously...

by Anonymousreply 14806/17/2012

"Taylor could manipulate the media with the best of them. She broke the ground for everyone."

I hate to break this to you, Lizbot, but the media portrayed her as a drunk and a fatty.

Hardly flattering or career boosting. Liz had no control over the media, is more like it.

Both Madonna and Lady Di changed the game in all things media manipulation. And shock value was just one of Madonna's strategies. She was media savvy in every other respect as well, and that's why she is still around, while other shock artists are long forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 14906/17/2012

"She was media savvy in every other respect as well, and that's why she is still around"

She's a billionaire who calls her own shots. That doesn't mean squat in terms of relevance. She can just bankroll her own ego trips now. And from the results, she's doing such a great job!

If you Madonna stans bothered to read any of the recent comments from this latest tour, you would know that she's largely perceived as a desperate joke. No one takes her seriously anymore, and many are simply embarassed for her. For someone so in control of the media, she's gotten incredibly desperate.

Let's not get it twisted. Liz went through her periods of being a joke, but she was still a legendary movie star at the end of the day. One who successfully merged old time glamour with new time PR. The aura always surrounded her, no matter how embarassing she got. She always carried herself with some sense of dignity.

Madonna has become the equivalent of fat Elvis in Vegas. She's done everything for publicity except shit on stage. And who knows, I wouldn't put it past her to do that real soon.

by Anonymousreply 15006/17/2012

Never saw Disney's "Fantasia" did you R139?

Or the countless commercials at Christmas time that use various selections.

by Anonymousreply 15106/17/2012

R152 A hundred years down the line when students are asked who the first black President was, they will have to know that it is Obama.

If they're asked who ended DADT, they will have to know it was Obama.

That's not wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 15306/17/2012

Everyone posting in this thread should be required to state their ages.

by Anonymousreply 15406/17/2012

"Who? What?" - 2112 zombie-fighting flooded-planet desperado w/ no electricity

by Anonymousreply 15506/17/2012

Based on what has been done right now, Tina Turner and Loretta Lynn because they were subjects of auto-biographical books and movies. Other singers MAY have autobiographical stories filmed in future years, but those two hooked into an iconic story (albeit, perhaps exaggerated for dramatic effect) and that will prompt future generations to look into their music. I doubt Aretha will ever have a film probe into her private life, what with the son/brother thing, and the music alone will die off. We remember Jenny Lind only because they named a style of bed after her and antique dealers are always talking about Jenny Lind but they mean lots of intricately turned spindles. I have a big collection of Billie Holiday only because I saw a movie with Diana Ross playing her and it made me discover her recordings.

by Anonymousreply 15606/17/2012

Madonna has never done anything that Mae West didn't do first and 100x better.

by Anonymousreply 15706/18/2012

Pamela Tiffin

by Anonymousreply 15806/18/2012

Oh, and Dr. Scholl.

by Anonymousreply 15906/18/2012

Looking back at 1912, we remember Irving Berlin for "Alexander's Ragtime Band" and "Do It Again."

But not for "I'm Afraid, Pretty Maid, I'm Afraid."

This leads me to believe that it's the work that survives, not the artist.

So maybe everyone will know "Vogue" but not Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 16006/19/2012

The ICONOGRAPHY will survive, especially as we move towards a more image-driven culture. People who have never seen a Chaplin film could probably ID him from seeing an image of The Little Tramp, to use an example from the last 100 years.

Michael Jackson in "Thriller" gear

Madonna circa "Blonde Ambition" - cone bra, etc.

Mickey Mouse

The Beatles in Sgt. Pepper drag

The Simpsons

Brando in Godfather, Marilyn in the white dress. Maybe DeNiro as Travis Bickle, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Movie stars generally will be tough - for instance, there is no single "Meryl Streep Image" that comes instantly to mind.

Obama - possibly the "Change" poster image

The Apple computer logo (LOGOS will be remembered big time, more than political figures - Nike Swoosh, Coke, CNN, GAP, McDonalds arches)

by Anonymousreply 16106/19/2012

R152 really takes the cake for idiocy. Really? REALLY? Whoever the first non-white-male President was was going to be an historical benchmark.

by Anonymousreply 16206/19/2012

[quote] I know that many here love Obama; I wonder if it's a little wishful thinking to say that he'll be remembered without a doubt.

freeper troll

by Anonymousreply 16306/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!