Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell

Way before Mama Mia, and way better.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 3011/12/2012

There was a flop Broadway musical based on this one, it was named CARMELINA. Lovely tunes in it by Burton Lane.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 106/10/2012

[quote] There was a flop Broadway musical based on this one, it was named CARMELINA. Lovely tunes in it by Burton Lane.

And it had Georgia Brown in the title role.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 206/10/2012

Gina Lollobrigida was so captivating in 'Solomon and Sheba'. Who hadn't fantasies with her after the dance sequence of this film?!!!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 311/11/2012

I loved this this movie

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 411/11/2012

I remember seeing "Buona Sera" when it was originally in theaters. (I was a mere child at the time, of course.) Quite funny, as I recall. Have they ever shown it on TCM?

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 511/11/2012

Gina is fab. Anything is better than Mamma Mia.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 611/11/2012

i don't know about that R5, sorry. In Google Books, one can read all the book 'Imperial Gina: The Very Unauthorized Biography of Gina Lollobrigida' for free. Cheers!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 711/11/2012

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 811/11/2012

Gina was a great dancer!

Absolutely love this.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 911/11/2012

Yes, i agree, she was bewitching as Esmeralda.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1011/11/2012

Buona Sera Lollo BELLA Lollo!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1111/11/2012

Gina Lollobrigida is one of the most famous actresses of cinema and it really surprises me when someone doesn't know her when i happen to mention her name. Don't tell me that age has to do with that ignorance, i'm in my 20's and i know Lollobrigida. Love for classic cinema is beyond age. Cheers!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1211/12/2012

The Carmelina cast recording with Paul Sorvino is divine. The melody for Someone in April was originally written to be used in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.

Encores should stage it at some point. Something to remedy Mamma Mia.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1311/12/2012

I love this movie

Hate Mamma Mia

And missed Carmelina choosing that day to see Ira Levin's Break a Leg with Julie Harris and Charles Nelson Reilly (awful).

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1411/12/2012

I'm surprised no one involved wieh MRS. CAMPBELL hasn't sued the MAMMA MIA creators, as it's a blatant rip-off. Unless they got money under the table and agreed to get no credit for the original.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1511/12/2012

That 50s Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of the first films I saw as a kid - and Gina was stunning. I was heartbroken at the end. She is terrific too in Solomon and Sheba, and as Mrs Campbell where she is very funny as well as gorgeous, as she was with Rock in Come September. Unlike Sophia Loren a lot of Gina's films did not get seen much outside of Italy, but she was a huge star in her day. There is a great shot of her meeting Marilyn Monroe, must have been when MM was doing Seven Year Itch. Gina is still here in her mid 80s - last time I saw her she was one of the bridesmaids at the Liza Minnelli-David Gest wedding!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1611/12/2012

I bet Gina could tell a few hot stories from her heyday with all those hunks she worked with ...

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1711/12/2012

Never heard of this movie- but I read a newspaper article about the real incident it's based on!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1811/12/2012

This was one of a few late 60's comedies I recall enjoying at the time, the others being HOW SEET IT IS with Debbie Reynolds and James Garner, and IF IT'S TUESDAY, IT MUST BE BELGIUM.

I watched TUESDAY a few weeks ago on Netflix streaming and it holds up pretty well, chiefly because of Suzanne Pleshette's touch of vinegar in her leading lady role.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 1911/12/2012

Gosh, Gina and Marilyn together - can it get any more glamorous.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2011/12/2012

Nightmare casting: Telly Savalas, Peter Lawford, and Phil Silvers.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2211/12/2012

AND Shelley Winters at her most frau-ish, + Lee Grant. The other wife looked like Dina Merrill but wasn't.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2311/12/2012

I love Lee Grant. She won an Oscar for 'Shampoo' but i still think that she is very underrated in general. She is a very very good actress!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2411/12/2012

Gina was perfect for comedies and musicals and light dramas. Much more buoyant than Sophia. I love this clip. She's very saucy.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2511/12/2012

Yes, Gina was more lissome than Sophia Lauren was in her movies. Sophia was another beauty among others, but Lollobrigida was more flexible than Sophia. Lauren happened to marry a big producer of her time and that's why she managed to play in more famous movies than Gina. I believe that Gina had more potential as an actress than Sophia. Sophia got more promoted, that's all. Anyway, both were excellent after all...

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2611/12/2012

Unearthly beautiful and she had a legit singing voice.

Here's Lollo on the Pat Boone Chevy Show. 1958.

It's a Lypsinka wet-dream.

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2711/12/2012

Sophia Lauren???

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2811/12/2012

Ok, sorry! Sophia Loren not Sophia Lauren

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 2911/12/2012

Gina Lollobrigida was a fire that couldn't be put under control by Howard Hughes. She had guts!

by Gina Lollobrigidareply 3011/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!