Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peacocks at Night

A friend of mine who has a weekend place in the country thinks it would be a great idea to have a couple of peacocks on his property. He thinks they're beautiful and loves the display and all that. I've tried to tell him they scream all night long (just like he does) but I think he's actually going to go through with this loony plan. What else can I tell him about these awful birds that will change his mind?

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 3106/15/2012

They attract predators and you'll either have to buy a gun or watch them get eaten alive (and screaming in pain).

Do they carry histoplasmosis?

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 106/09/2012

OP, your information seems to be based on trauma from surprise anal from a feathered nemesis as a child.

Peafowl are not unduly noisy at night, and are "noisy" only during breeding, around August to late in the year. And by noisy I mean the males do their calling. In the country it's usually not an issue, and it's not constant, and roosters and barking dogs are much more of a disturbance. Good stewards pen their peafowl at nigh in any case, and it's tree-sheltered peacocks who could make night-time alarm calls that would be heard. And, you know, sometimes alarm calls are handy. I know people who keep guinea fowl for this purpose.

But if you'd like to tell us about your terrible experience with peacock cocks, we're sure that would be more interesting than your out-of-touch information about peacocks more generally.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 206/09/2012

They attack cars.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 306/09/2012

Sounds cool. I would like to have peacocks

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 406/09/2012

The most annoying sound in the world.

Offsite Link
by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 506/09/2012

tell him to watch this.

Offsite Link
by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 606/09/2012

Either way, they are still beautiful.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 706/09/2012

Op, I'm so sorry I attacked you, but you were in the library, and I did have this lead pipe...

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 806/09/2012

This is what it sounds like, when peacocks cry... eeeeee! squawk! eeeeee!

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 906/09/2012

If they only go down on weekends, who will look after the peacocks during the week? The birds will go Ferrell (Will) or adopt some other house nearby.

If anything, your 'friends' should provide an environment good for indigenous animals - make bat houses, grow butterfly bushes, and set up some honey bee colonies.

As far as peafowl, they put on their own performance of 'Lord of the Flies' too often - you have to shelter the chicks from the adults.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1006/09/2012

I wanna see your peacock, cock cock

Your peacock, cock, cock!

Word on the street, you got something to show me

Magical, colorful, Mr. Mystery

I'm intrigued for a peek, heard it's fascinating

Come on, baby, let me see what you're hiding underneath

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1106/14/2012

You should have him look into the Eastern Stigmatic Trivium breed.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1206/14/2012

[quote]“To the melancholy this sound is melancholy and to the hysterical it is hysterical. To me it has always sounded like a cheer for an invisible parade.”

Offsite Link
by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1306/14/2012

My nickname was Peacock because I was so beautiful.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1406/14/2012

I love that R2 is a Pro-Peacock Troll.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1506/14/2012

Reminds me of an old Hollywood story from a long time ago. Berry Gordy used to keep peacocks at his LA estate, where they'd freely roam around but were oddly silent. A visiting business associate asked him how he kept them so quiet, and BG replied "I had the vocal boxes ripped out of the fuckers. Brilliant isn't it!"

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1606/14/2012

Interesting comment from Gordy; wonder if that's what he'd have liked to do to his artists?

OP should read Flannery O'Connor's work on the peacocks on her estate.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1706/14/2012

They shit big ol' squishy Hershey's Kisses all over the pavement and they voraciously eat certain commonly used yard plants. And yes, the GAWD-AWFUL screaming all the time. They are dumb as rocks.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1806/14/2012

"Peafowl are not unduly noisy at night, and are "noisy" only during breeding"

Oh please. You know nothing.

Our neighbors had them because they were so "pretty" but they took giant platter-sized shits everywhere (including house roofs and cars) and would scream like torture victims any time of night or day, year around. The ONLY thing they were good for was as watchdogs, because the minute anything moved into their field of vision they would start shrieking.

Don't ask me what happened to them. I know nothing.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 1906/14/2012

The people who live down th street from my mother's house have peacocks.

You can hear them screaming as you drive by--with the windows rolled up! Damned things run around behind a chain link fence staring at you with their dumb reptilian eyes and their tiny heads rotating on those long snake-like necks.

They're damned creepy.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2006/14/2012

My advice, if you like them, visit the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. Very chill peacocks at the Alhambra because they're used to tourists walking around photographing them. But don't try to live with them on a regular basis.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2106/14/2012

I had them as a kid. A neighbor of sorts kept a small private zoo and the lioness and peafowl were my favorites, and I got three peafowl from him. The neighbor's went wild for a month or so during mating season each summer, otherwise they carried on only when some stray pet or wild animal wandered through. Mine were able to wander around unenclosed and were pretty quiet; like many I've known in similar situations, they mostly skirted around on the edges of things, and liked the shelter of shrubs or fences or low walls. They surprised people more by darting out from behind a hedge than they did by screeching.

A few peacocks in a large open area isn't much of a mess at all, and they're cared for easily. Ducks and geese make more a mess and often more noise. A whole yard full of peafowl can be splendid or awful or both.

I'd like to have some now but we have predators and are too near a road.

(The collective noun for peafowl is MUSTER or OSTENTATION.)

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2206/14/2012

Birds are evil.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2306/14/2012

I've heard that they are very gossipy

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2406/14/2012

[quote] R21: very chill peacocks

Most insufferable expression of the week, from a person through whose ears one could see those fabled peacocks of Alhambra. Hipster dolt. The advice at the end perfectly finishes it, like the curl on a cat turd.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2506/14/2012

[quote] I would like to have peacocks

Because you're hole is too tight to take a man sized one?

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2606/15/2012

Your friend is too stupid to realize he's been watching NBC

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2706/15/2012

R10 had the most important point: who will feed, water, and look after them the other five days? Who will be there to take them for treatment if injured or ill during the week?

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2806/15/2012

I'm starting a band. The name, "Very Chill Peacocks"!

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 2906/15/2012

They are devil birds.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 3006/15/2012

"A few peacocks in a large open area isn't much of a mess at all"

We don't all live in the middle of 10-acre cow pastures, Farmer-Boy.

by Attacked by Peacock as Childreply 3106/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!