Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George Chakiris

Whatever happened to him? I heard he died of AIDS. Is this true? I was watching the profoundly awful Lana Turner thing, "The Big Cube", and he was in it. If you love 60s, psychedelic camp, this movie is for you. They actually showed a woman's boobies in this!!! So, what happened to GC?

by Anonymousreply 3607/21/2013

No he is still alive. Did some movies after his oscar win that werent well received. I think he suffered from being to ethnic looking to get better film roles.

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2012

But he really wasn't that ethnic looking. He was just often made up with a lot of bronzer and dyed black hair to play ethnic roles, as in West Side Story as a Puerto Rican and in Diamond Head as a Hawaiian.

I think a bigger problem for him was that he read too gay.

He's aged very badly, still dying lots of big bad hair jet black. You can always find his photos at those West Side Story anniversary events.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2012

The years have not been kind.

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2012

Actually he doesn't look too bad. It's the cheap ass wig and the Golden Girl's glasses that make him look odd.

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2012

Is that a wig? I'm not so sure.

If he just got a modern short haircut, allowed all the grey hair to grow in and shaved off the ridiculous 20-something (dyed) stubble, he'd look not just good but great. He's still handsome, slim and doesn't appear to have had any damaging plastic surgery.

And, of course, he needs to ditch the silly tinted glasses.

by Anonymousreply 506/08/2012

I met GC twice this past Christmas. He's in tremendous shape, though very thin. He's like 76 years old! He lives a quiet life with his dog and a self-created jewelry business.

by Anonymousreply 606/08/2012

He and Rita Moreno are still best buds.

He'll be doing a guest spot next season on "Happily Divorced" as Rita's old flame.

by Anonymousreply 706/09/2012

OP, George, Rita and Russ Tamblyn were recently on THE TALK celebrating the film's 50th anniversary.

Here's a bit of their interview:

by Anonymousreply 806/09/2012

How can you say he 'read too gay' ? He won the Oscar for playing a very macho, straight, Puerto Rican. And he could have been a one off leading man- like Sal Mineo. Maybe not get the A male parts, but the secondary roles. Bad films, bad management.

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2012

Do you girls really, truly watch this shit? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2012

Still remember how beautiful he was as Chopin in the Masterpiece Theater mini-series about George Sand.

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2012

What's wrong with George's teeth? He talks funny.

by Anonymousreply 1306/09/2012

It's probably just a result of poor-fitting dentures, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1406/09/2012

Before he played Bernardo in the movie, Chakiris played Riff in the London production of WEST SIDE STORY.

by Anonymousreply 1506/09/2012

There's also this break out role.

by Anonymousreply 1606/09/2012

And he's prominently featured as a chorus boy with Marilyn Monroe in Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend (with Streaks 'n' Tips in his dark hair!) in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and with Rosemary Clooney in Love, You Didn't Do Right by Me in White Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 1706/09/2012

You beat me to it r16!

by Anonymousreply 1806/09/2012

And under the screen name "George Kerris" he had a small featured role in "Meet Me in Las Vegas" with Cyd Charisse and Dan Dailey.

He played a honeymooner.

He and the woman playing his wife, Betty Lynn (not Buckley!) had a cute number together called "It's Fun To Be in Love With You" which was cut from the film, but has been restored and added to the DVD as a bonus extra.

by Anonymousreply 1906/09/2012

He's giving me Nana Mouskouri in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 2006/09/2012

[quote]He's giving me Nana Mouskouri in that clip.

Nana phoned again the other day. Don't know why she still keeps my number.

by Anonymousreply 2106/09/2012

The Love You Didn't Do Right by Me clip is like watching a Dolores Grey number at Metro in slo-mo.

by Anonymousreply 2206/09/2012

For 78 George looks terrific!! He has found the fountain of youth!!

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

He was simply awful as an Aztec or was it Mayan in the 1963 Kings of the Sun, totally expressionless thoughout, he must have got his oscar for dancing in WSS, not acting ... then he played a Cypriot (from Cyprus) in another dreadful actioner, The High Bright Sun, with Dirk Bogarde in 1964, where he was equally wooden ... poor Susan Strasberg had 2 gay leading men to contend with.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

[quote]I heard he died

OP never heard of Google.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

George's problem was not so much his Gayness,but the fact he had trouble hiding it in his work some times. Take a look at his dress and dancing when he was on with Melina Mouskari. It screamed Gay. Oh my God, I knew when the Mid states and Southern states of America saw that show, his career was dead. That program was on in mid-seventies,early eighties. I don't think Gayness is well tolerated there now, and it sure as heck wasn't then. The other career killer he had were his management-agency,they were/are a European company not an American one, and don't understand we have bigots still. George admits he is no business man. He has no higher education. He left the management of his career to others.I don't money was something he strove for.

by Anonymousreply 2607/21/2013

[quote]There's also this break out role.

I always notice that in the movie he is seemingly in two places at once- the club for Rosie's song and back at the ski resort rehearsing for a show.

by Anonymousreply 2707/21/2013

In the photo shown by R3, you can see the facelift scar at the top of his forehead (HIS left hand side), way up? You see it?

by Anonymousreply 2907/21/2013

You can catch him before West Side Story and his Oscar, as one of the male dancers behind Marilyn Monroe's "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend".

At 1:18, Chakiris is standing behind Marilyn's two hands.

by Anonymousreply 3007/21/2013

R28, thank you for the delightful clip! At least now we know what happened to Divine's missing cha-cha boots!

by Anonymousreply 3107/21/2013

How neat, r28! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3207/21/2013

He and Grover Dale are 2 dancers in the 1967 French musical 'Young Girls of Rochefort' by Jacques Demy, its a delightful treat now, with Catherine Deneuve and her sister who was killed in a car crash just after filming. George & Grover wear very tight trousers accentuating their bubble butts.

by Anonymousreply 3307/21/2013

What shit are you referring to R11?

As a DL troll, you really aren't in a position to judge anything.

by Anonymousreply 3407/21/2013

He was a great dancer but he should have strangled his make up artist- what's with all that eye liner and eye shadow? Surprised they didn't stop their dance to pick up the 2 sailors outside. And did they all shop at the same gay clothing store on the left Bank for their outfits? Fun clip- all that tongue twisting French!

by Anonymousreply 3507/21/2013

[quote]He won the Oscar for playing a very macho, straight, Puerto Rican.

In a dance musical, where exaggerated characterizations are the norm. So he turned up the machismo to alarming levels with an almost caricature performance that actually yields a very effective, hot-blooded Bernardo. But with more natural, relaxed roles, purses flew out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3607/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.