Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prometheus Thread w/ Spoilers

If you've seen the film, discuss it here.

by Anonymousreply 29702/20/2015

There is so much to discuss that doesn't seem to make sense.

For starters..

Why would the Engineers leave the calling card clues directing humans to a planet that is only a military installation? That question is especially confounding if the Engineers were headed to Earth with their cargo to presumably destroy everyone...if that's really what was going to happen.

How did Idris Elba suddenly come up with that nice summary of what was going on on the planet?

Was Vickers a robot?

Was nice to see Patrick Wilson. I forgot that he was going to be in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2012

Will be seeing it this morning...can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2012

Saw it today. I wasn't crazy about it but I guess I had different expectations. It seemed to try to be two different movies. One a deep thinking movie about where we come from and the other a lame attempt at a sy-fy horror film. Was that an octopus that consumed the engineer at the end? It looked like it to me. The only redeeming moment was the last minute or so when it looked like they were laying the groundwork for an "Alien" remake.

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2012

Michael Fassbender was on The View today.

He had red hair and a red beard.

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2012

Why did the most sensible/scared crew members (tattoo head & glasses guy), who'd just spend a terrifying freezing cold night in a cave, suddenly want to make nice with the horse-cock shaped alien monster like it was a kitty cat? ("Hey there little guy?")

Because they wanted to make nice with a alien that looked like a slithery horse cock with a vagina inside?

by Anonymousreply 506/08/2012

I saw the film today. I loved it. Yes, the plot is a point. But, if you are expecting something like the first "Alien" you will be disappointed. Noomi Rapace is awesome as is Michael Fassbender. The rest of the cast is great too. The special effects are truly awesome but CGI has come so far since the first "Alien" movie. The first 30 minutes are a bit slow. But, once they land on the alien planet, things move very quickly. And, this movie IS "gory"...I can see why it has an "R" rating. I want to see this movie again but not sure if I want to see the 3D version at all. The parts filmed in Iceland are just so beautiful. It does have a somewhat "religious" overtone but I am cool with that and actually got into it as the movie progressed. I like the fact that they left the ending open to an obvious sequel. I know this has had mixed reviews but it is really visually stunning and great entertainment. As someone who does not go to movies alot, I was totally satisfied with it. I loved all the "Alien" movies(except the 3rd one)and this movie does kind of tie those in at the end. The alien-human hybrid at the beginning was just awesome...I loved his repelled you but also was very hot. LOL. Again, if you go in expecting something like the first "Alien" film, you WILL be disappointed. So, I say keep an open mind and just enjoy the special effects, Noomi and Fassbot.

by Anonymousreply 706/08/2012

See, I loved the movie, but I was real confused, too. For instance, at the very beginning, I didn't take the alien to be a human hybrid. I think that's how they looked. In the opening scenes, the Alien "Engineer" was here on earth when he drank or ate something that looked like caviar, and fell down the waterfall, right? It was almost as if he was committing suicide, IMO.

I was under the impression we're the hybrids. Earth Men as we know them, evolved from this giant, white-ish Alien man-like creature. The cave drawings were generated either by us sort as a recording of our history, or by engineers who settled here and reproduced,and drew those drawings to tell about their "real" home out there in outer space.

I also didn't get it when the story took a turn, and Idris Elba said they're trying to destroy us, and had these weaponized alien creatures. Like early biological warfare?

I think the planet where they found them wasn't their home. It struck me that that planet was where they were growing their killer creatures. David knew a lot. And he was clearly Wendland's creature. So Wendland was looking for eternal life, and he was willing to do or use whatever to get there?

by Anonymousreply 906/08/2012

More please.

by Anonymousreply 1006/08/2012

Visually it was awesome. The plot was complete crap that im not sure the writers could tell you what they created.

by Anonymousreply 1106/08/2012

[quote]How did Idris Elba suddenly come up with that nice summary of what was going on on the plane

Idris Elba character was supposed to be the smartest. He's THE CAPTAIN, ok?

by Anonymousreply 1206/08/2012

Why cast Guy Pierce and put him in heavy old age makeup that makes him look 200 when he already looks 100 without...

by Anonymousreply 1306/08/2012

If you look at Prometheus as a stand alone movie, and I mean with no connection to Alien and without the multitude of loose ends that are obviously counting on a sequel to deal with... If you take this movie all by itself, it really fails at storytelling.

In the same way that Lindelof was largely responsible for Lost being full of bizarre ideas and ultimately never explaining many of them, Prometheus asks many questions and doesn't answer any.

Leaving conclusions up to the imagination of the viewer is small doses. But this story is a lot of set-up, but then the audience is left to speculate on just about every conclusion.

I say that as a person that wants the story to make sense. If I didn't have that urge, I suppose I might have enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

If it weren't an Alien-related film, I wouldn't even be bothered by any of the parts that seem like nonsense on the screen. It would just be another in a long history of disappointing sci-fi movies. But Prometheus has a pedigree that makes me expect a different level of quality. So I was hoping for more from this.

But it is pretty to look at.

by Anonymousreply 1406/08/2012

That creature was more like a giant squid than an octopus.

by Anonymousreply 1506/09/2012

And you, R8,are one of those people who try to be snarky but succeed only at being stupid.

The two techs had already said they were freaked out by what they had seen so there was NO WAY they would have stuck around to go exploring and then treated the alien creature like it was some kind of pet. Did not make one bit of sense.

Much like the rest of the movie. There were some awesome scenes and imagery but the plot was totally ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1606/09/2012

This movie had some very good scenes and many many WTF moments and CT trying too hard to be a bitch. Now I find out the writer is from make it up as we go along Lost.

One scene has them walking around without helmets and saying it's 10 below. In the future shouldn't we have better weapons then a gun that shoots fire or an axe ? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1706/09/2012

If you wait til the end of the credits this website pops up.

by Anonymousreply 1806/09/2012

Haven't seen the movie yet. Could some one answer what the connection between the giant astronaut in the first Alien movie is to this movie?

by Anonymousreply 1906/09/2012

more discussion

by Anonymousreply 2006/09/2012

I liked that the whole point of the expedition was for some rich dude to figure out how ti extend his life.

by Anonymousreply 2106/09/2012

I liked the girl from TGWTDT and her character was ALOT smarter than John Hurt and Sigourney Weaver..

Charlize had a do-it-yourself surgery machine that was only for MEN?

Why would a robot have wrinkles?

The before mentioned obviously dangerous creature treated like a kitten.

I could go on and on.

I did mostly enjoy the movie but you get the feeling if someone with brains wrote the screenplay it COULD have been a classic...

by Anonymousreply 2206/09/2012

r21 a rich dude played by Guy Pierce in bad old age makeup(Ben Button movie set the standard) that made him look over 100...

by Anonymousreply 2306/09/2012

Surgery machine being for males only makes just about zero sense.

But it does feed into my wondering if Vickers was a robot, and the machine was there for the use of "her" father.

by Anonymousreply 2406/09/2012

It's complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 2506/09/2012

That medpod was only on the ship for Guy Pearce's character. He was optimistic they'd find something that would be the "secret of eternal life" and he could use his med pod to benefit from it. It wasn't only for surgery. It was an all-purpose med pod custom made for him.

by Anonymousreply 2606/09/2012

Just saw the movie, completely agree with r11 and r14. Shameful screenplay full of recycled B-movie plot devices and awful movie logic. In addition, the sophisticated design of the original creature which suggested Freudian horror has given way to a shameless vagina monster (look up vagina dentata) in the form of the proto-face- hugger. The final attack on the engineer looked like something from John Carpenter, not Ridley Scott.

Bottom line: Ridley Scott is out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 2706/09/2012

Many of the things in the movie make absolutely no sense when exposed to logic.

What was the point of infecting Holloway with the goo? How did David know it would transform him? What did they expect to do with the transformed Holloway? What if it was a menace to the ship and interrupted the voyage home? Why didn't David just bring the urn back and let the scientists at home wait to find out what was inside?

Why didn't Holloway start transforming right away? The other dudes did.

If obedience to Weyland's wishes was imperative to the trip, why not just send a team of Davids out to perform the expedition?

How did Elizabeth know how to program with medpod to perform her own surgery? Would a medpod really be that user friendly? I have more trouble making 8x14 copies on the photocopier at work than Elizabeth did programming the medpod.

by Anonymousreply 2806/09/2012

Well, she did have a bit of a snag when she found out it was for men only. I think she was a medical doctor also...

by Anonymousreply 2906/09/2012

[quote]Why would the Engineers leave the calling card clues directing humans to a planet that is only a military installation?

Yeah, this bugged me.

by Anonymousreply 3006/09/2012

They weren't telling the humans to come visit; they were telling them DANGER, STAY AWAY!

by Anonymousreply 3106/09/2012

Having one main character in bad old age makeup and another CGI is always a big mistake...

by Anonymousreply 3206/09/2012

Saw PROMETHEUS in the afternoon, and then watched the DVD of JOHN CARTER in the evening. JC was by far the better film - more engaging, much better acting (acting in Prometheus is horrible), better CGI and effects, and just more coherent. I get why JC was a flop and Prometheus seems to be a hit, but I was really surprised by this.

Anyone else like JOHN CARTER OF MARS?

by Anonymousreply 3306/09/2012

I think the girl from TGWTDT was good but Charlize wasn't

I saw JC wasn't impressed might give it another chance...

by Anonymousreply 3406/09/2012

The opening scene kinda threw me off. WHAT was the point of the guy drinking the caviar stuff in the beginning?

Where was that supposed to take place and why?

Visually it was great. Plot was WTF?

I totally just didn't get some of the characters' motives.

by Anonymousreply 3506/09/2012

I agree with pretty much everything pointed out so far.

I do think the opening scene was meant to portray the first Engineer populating Earth. The ship has just dropped him off, he takes the cavier that splits his DNA and spreads it throughout the world via water.

by Anonymousreply 3606/09/2012

That sort of makes sense, r36. But it totally refutes evolution.

I guess I'm thinking too much and should just have enjoyed it for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 3706/10/2012

According to the most "recommended" IMBD reviews, many people hate it.

I'm shocked it got such a good critical consensus.

by Anonymousreply 3806/10/2012

Nice summation from one of the IMDB pans:

"Alien worked because it focused on believable characters stuck in a terrible situation, without that believability the film would be greatly lessened. Prometheus, lacking that, is uninteresting.

Prometheus puts me in mind of Avatar. The use of 3D is excellent and the art direction is amazing. However, as with Avatar, technical excellence cannot make up for a terrible plot, sub-standard characterisation and meaningless dialogue."

by Anonymousreply 3906/10/2012

From Wikipedia's "Alien" entry (an excellent source for analysis and links):

[quote]...the film's effectiveness in frightening viewers "comes from the fact that the audience can all identify with the characters...Everyone aboard the Nostromo is a normal, everyday, working Joe just like the rest of us. They just happen to live and work in the future.

They forgot (or didn't care) about that with Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 4006/10/2012

Veronica Cartwright had more brians that both the first two victim s...

by Anonymousreply 4106/10/2012

So true, r41.

I recently re-watched Alien and what struck me is how Altman-esque the early scenes aboard the Nostromo are -- normal people naturally talking over each other. You really get a sense of the characters as real people. Not the case in Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 4206/10/2012

No mention that Sean Harris that creepy assassin from THE BORGIAS is in this? He plays the Borgia contract killer who fucked his secret boyfriend in the cememtary.

by Anonymousreply 4306/10/2012

So true. Also, the Nostromo's crew were blue-collar, everyday people. They weren't Charlize Theron in a form fitting space suit. Space travel was not depicted as glamorous or noble. The crew members were more akin to space truckers anxious to get home and get paid.

Veronica Cartwright is wonderful in Alien. She adds so much depth and emotion to her supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 4406/10/2012

R44 Of course the crew of Alien was dressed differently, supplied differently, and were blue collar, you dolt. That's what they WERE. The crew of the Prometheus were funded by Weyland himself and no expense was spared. It's the difference between the crew of one of those reality show fishing boats and the people on a Russian billionaire's yacht.

How stupid can you be? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 4506/10/2012

A terrible, terrible fucking movie.

Horrible, laughable sci-fi trope writing. Visually stunning in PARTS, but not across the board. A major departure from the original Alien(s) which is fine, but this was more Space Opera then horror. Was trying to be way too many things and obviously was almost completely derailed along the way.

People acting absurdly out of character constantly. It seemed like almost every scene was handled by different directors. Serious waste of good actors. Noomi Rapace is far too small scale for a movie like this and let's face it, she has big, nearly impossible, shoes to fill (Sigourney in an indelible and iconic character). This was unfortunately way beyond her abilities, and Ridley Scott didn't help her. Her boyfriend (laughably referred to as a "scientist") was a callow, pale imitation of an actor who had no business being in a movie of this size. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, would have been better. Charlize Theron was completely one note and wasted. Idris Elba was working way too hard to break out of the epic sci-fi scale to make it human but is finally defeated with terrible dialogue and ridiculous motivations. Fassbender gets a pass, but barely, and only because he plays a robot. His only good scenes were at the beginning.

Alien doesn't have much mythology to hang your hat on in the first place, and to try and extend it beyond its very narrow universe is difficult to do. Damon Lindelof wasn't able to do anything with it. And why is he so obsessed with Christianity? It makes everything he write seem so small and petty. He needs to grow up. The writer who is incapable of answering questions was not a good match with Ridley Scott.

The proto-humans? A big eh. And why did the movie become 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in the last ten minutes? So many huge plot holes. Scott had way too much money, and too few ideas for this movie. I had high expectations that were substantially lowered by the reviews. Even those expectations weren't met.

by Anonymousreply 4606/10/2012

If Weyland spared no expense, why did he people his scientific mission with scientists who were so inept, unprofessional and ineffective? "Hey, we just found a mummified alien head! Let's electrocute it!"

by Anonymousreply 4706/10/2012

In order to really appreciate this film you must first understand that Prometheus is indeed the prequel to Alien... and that the prequel to Prometheus is The Good Wife

by Anonymousreply 4806/10/2012

R47 He didn't give a shit about the science. He wanted More Life, Fucker. The scientists were just a means to an end.

Look you want easy answers, easy logic, and nothing to think about? Go see "Battlefield"--you'll get ocean, Rihanna, boom, explosions. Done--now go home.

by Anonymousreply 4906/10/2012

I bet Logan Marshall-Green was cast because they wanted Tom Hardy but couldn't get Tom Hardy.

R49 = Damon Lindlehack.

by Anonymousreply 5106/10/2012

R46, it was a fair try for the DL, but if you are going to attempt a grand critique that ranges from molecular to cosmic detail you ought to try organizing things a bit and applying some discretion. As it is you just sounded like a worked-up autodidact projecting spittle onto his shirt. Good old-fashioned non-corrosive, non-gelatinous crazytalk spittle.

by Anonymousreply 5206/10/2012

Just got back from seeing it.

What a complete mess. To say it's disappointing is to be putting it mildly. I honestly couldn't wait for it to be over.

And the audience I saw it with seemed to be of the same mind. Towards the end, they were getting VERY restless (as was I), and when the end came, it was like a race to the exits. God.

Tedious. Ridiculous. Cliched. Stupid.

What a completely wasted opportunity. It wasn't scary. Much of the audience was giggling at how ridiculous the scenes were when it was trying to be scary. The rest was boring. And did I mention ridiculous?

Forget character motivations. Forget characters. Forget plot. It was an incoherent mess.

Don't pay to see it. Or if you must, don't pay full price. Wait for Netflix. Or better yet, just forget this movie ever actually existed.

by Anonymousreply 5306/10/2012

Moviegoers everywhere are tearing apart this film for its plot holes. This is from Deadline:

Why does the Geologist who maps the place get lost?

Why does the Biologist- who was freaked out by 2000 year old dead bodies – try to pet the live Alien snake like a Kitten?

Why, after Shaw’s boyfriend is infected, do they just open the door and roll out the red carpet when the Geologist turns up?

Why does Weyland need to stowaway on his own ship?

Why does Guy Pearce look like Lo Pan from “Big Trouble in Little China”?

Why do the Captain and crew seem less professional than Ice Road Truckers?

Why does the technology seem more advanced than technology thirty years later?

Why is there no pursuit of Shaw after she bashes the Med Officers and escapes? In fact, why is this attack and escape never really mentioned again?

Why does Shaw not say “Just an FYI guys…there’s some sort of alien squid creature in the med bay”?

How does the SJ know where Shaw is after the crash of his ship?

Why, given there are other ships, does the SJ want to punch Shaw in the face instead of continuing with his mission?

How come the atmosphere in the SJ ship mimics Earth’s atmosphere yet the SJ doesn’t need oxygen when he chases after Shaw? Did they create the atmosphere for guests they want to punch in the face?

Why do the SJs look like Jason Statham?

And finally, why does Shaw want to go to a world full of Jason Stathams who want to punch her in the face?

by Anonymousreply 5406/10/2012

[quote]If you look at Prometheus as a stand alone movie, and I mean with no connection to Alien and without the multitude of loose ends that are obviously counting on a sequel to deal with... If you take this movie all by itself, it really fails at storytelling.

Even if you DON'T look at it that way, it really fails at storytelling.

Some pretty images, but man... the script writing, plotting, story-telling were all abysmal.

The more I think about it, the more I think this concept would have been done much better as a miniseries (10-22 hours) done like Battlestar Galactica, which some DECENT writers, and taking the time to thoroughly explore the characters and the ideas. With better casting too.

As it is, it's pretty much utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 5506/10/2012

...and how did Michael Fassbender figure out how to work all the controls at the beginning? And why did nobody question him on his amazing ability to instantly open doors. Or mention the goo. Or anything?

Nothing in this movie made any sense.

This prequel ranks right up there with "The Phantom Menace" in terms of prequels.

by Anonymousreply 5606/10/2012

But when does the Fasscock ™ appear?

by Anonymousreply 5706/10/2012

[quote]how did Michael Fassbender figure out how to work all the controls at the beginning? And why did nobody question him on his amazing ability to instantly open doors.

Jesus Fucking Christ, R56. You know he was a walking computer, right? Were you paying too much attention to your popcorn?

by Anonymousreply 5806/10/2012

I wondered where I saw the boy-friend before he was in that devil in the stalled elevator movie and Across the Universe..

One time Noomi's character refers to her boy-friend as 'Holloway' like he was nothing to her...

by Anonymousreply 5906/10/2012

R58? Are you stupid? Even computers need to have data to process. And I assure you my IQ is higher than yours and I know a shit-ton more about computers than you do.

Clearly you're too stupid to even understand my objection.

by Anonymousreply 6006/10/2012

[quote]But when does the Fasscock ™ appear?

It doesn't.

And he could spend the entire movie full frontal and naked stroking a hard-on, and I'm not sure it would have saved this crappy movie for me.

But at least I wouldn't have wanted to fall asleep or wanted it to end so badly. So it still would have been an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 6106/10/2012

I was so disappointed with Prometheus, because I'm a huge fan of the Alien films. What a could have been sooo much better. I'm glad I watched it for free online instead of blowing my $$ at the theater.

by Anonymousreply 6206/10/2012

Prometheus is to Alien as The Phantom Menace is to Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 6306/10/2012

"That sort of makes sense, [R36]. But it totally refutes evolution."

Poor r37 missed the most obvious plot point of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6406/10/2012

You enjoy it while you watch but later you think about the many plot holes..

It might as well been directed by Michael Bay...

by Anonymousreply 6506/10/2012

Also from Deadline:

In the future, surgery robots will bizarrely specialize in only one gender, even if half your crew is female.

In the future, Champagne will not keep fresh in a bottle for two years. You will need to cryo-freeze it.

In the future we will have spacesuits which can keep you reasonably warm on an alien planet. Except at night, when you need to also have a blanket.

In the future, every injection you get from a doctor will be administered by a forceful stab, as if the medicine has to penetrate the bone in order to work. It will be accompanied by the sound of a melon being impaled.

In the future, noone will wear underwear. Everyone will just wear Ace Bandages around their boobs and junk. And this is in NO WAY meant to titillate teen boys at the movies.

In the future, holograms are projected by Rubik’s Cubes, and spaceships are controlled by pushing hard-boiled eggs and playing the flute.

In the future, aliens will wear Jedi robes and a diaper.

In the future, flying robots can map a cave. But the mapper will still get lost finding his way out.

In the future “…..seriously?” will still be a catchphrase.

In the Future, Stephen Stills will be famous for playing the accordion.

In the future, Charlize Theron will serve no plot purpose. Sorry, that’s the present!

by Anonymousreply 6606/10/2012

[quote]Saw PROMETHEUS in the afternoon, and then watched the DVD of JOHN CARTER in the evening. JC was by far the better film - more engaging, much better acting (acting in Prometheus is horrible), better CGI and effects, and just more coherent.

Completely agreed... John Carter was infinitely better than Prometheus.

Save your money. Don't go see this shit. Rent John Carter instead.

by Anonymousreply 6806/10/2012

R67, never mind that it would seem to imply a star-cluster ... and so how did they know WHICH star to visit. Thankfully there was only one planet circling it... with only one moon that was habitable in any way.

But still, how did they know where on the planet to land? They just sorta randomly entered the atmosphere, and then flew around like a jet looking with their eyes out the window, and managed to find what was apparently the ONLY location with aliens in just a matter of minutes. I mean, how lucky were THEY?

by Anonymousreply 6906/10/2012

And while we're at it, it's interesting their globe of the earth was up-to-date with the continenets. The only visit we KNOW of happened, what, a billion years ago when they seeded life on this planet?

Then we somehow evolved with matching DNA, even though to get where we are now, we went through tons of non-matching DNA (being that we evolved from the primordial slime like every othe creature).

Unless they're saying that human beings were created out of whole cloth 30,000 years ago (but even then the continental alignment would have been significantly different). but if that were the case, you'd think they'd have made that more clear. Instead the implication was that they started the process of evolution by sacrificing that original guy.

Interesting how in those billion years or so, THEY haven't evolved at all.

Though I guess the implication is that they've been visiting us throughout time, as recently as several thousand years ago.

I don't know, it's all so muddled and murky. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

by Anonymousreply 7006/10/2012

Oh yeah, and when she said she didn't come a half-billion miles from earth to get laid... that would put her just past Jupiter.

More like tens of trillions of miles.

But you know, thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 7106/10/2012

The silly reveal that Weyland was Vickers' father. Probably the worst delivery of a line Charlize theron ever has made, or ever will make.

I mean, I see where they wanted to go with that. It provided a good rationale for why she was there, plus it made a nice parallel between her and David as beings who resented Weyland even though they were both "created" by him.

But dear god, like so much else in the movie, the execution was awful.

by Anonymousreply 7206/10/2012

[QUOTE]And while we're at it, it's interesting their globe of the earth was up-to-date with the continenets. The only visit we KNOW of happened, what, a billion years ago when they seeded life on this planet?

The ship crew (Engineers) had been in stasis for 2000 years. David said this when asked. So the continents were up to date. Perhaps you were texting at the time.

You know, I'm really interested in what you think of Madagascar. I mean--talking animals! It must just make your ass bleed!

by Anonymousreply 7306/10/2012

This movie irritated me so much...I wanted to like it.

So the black goo basically breaks down the proto-humans DNA and re-builds it. The ship was meant to carry the black goo to Earth to spread it to the humans to rebuild them into proto-humans.

But somehow, instead, the black goo combines the alien DNA with the proto-human DNA, which wipes out the proto-human ship.

That's the only way I can make sense of it.

Until we see the bas-relief of the queen alien (which the proto-humans seemed to revere) on the ship and Noomi has a squid. In the alien mythos, the alien will assume the form of the host. She should've had the humanoid alien.

But what do I know? I'm just a makeup artist.

by Anonymousreply 7406/10/2012

Oh r52, my poor dear, you're going to be vastly outnumbered. You must live with this disappointment constantly, but then, there's no accounting for taste.

There are so many problems with this movie, about a quarter of which I barely began to recount, that it hardly seemed worth continuing or bothering to organize.

But thanks for playing. You're adorable. Now run along.

by Anonymousreply 7506/10/2012

R45/49/58 is a rageaholic basement dweller.

by Anonymousreply 7606/10/2012

R58 is the hysterical sci fi apologist troll. He's hilarious in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 7706/10/2012

So, they've been visiting this planet all these years (BILLIONS), and keeping their globes and maps up to date, and then suddenly decide about two thousand years ago to develop a biological/technological weapon to wipe us all out, which goes wrong and kills them instead before they can get to us.

Because that makes TOTAL sense.

by Anonymousreply 7806/10/2012

This is awesome:

[bold]SMS dialogue between Noomi Rapace and an Engineer [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 7906/10/2012

Absolutely non-sensical. I'd bet no one involved can fully explain the story. What sloppy, insulting storytelling. Word of mouth is going to be terrible. Nothing pays off in any way.

by Anonymousreply 8006/10/2012

I agree, the word of mouth will be epically bad. There will be a huge drop off next week.

by Anonymousreply 8106/10/2012

I think half of you are too unintelligent to comprehend this movie. Maybe the writers should have used one syllable words so you could understand it.

by Anonymousreply 8206/11/2012

Without question the worst movie I've seen this year. How much blow do you think was ingested by the writers and director?

And do you think anyone connected with this film ever met a woman who's actually had a C-Section? Rapace's recovery time was nothing short of miraculous. If the HMO's ever hear about this...

by Anonymousreply 8306/11/2012

[quote]I think half of you are too unintelligent to comprehend this movie

It's the opposite I think... we felt the movie insulted our intelligence, was lazy, and inconsistent/incoherent, and just bad story-telling.

Like when so many characters instantly know things they cannot possibly know just because the plot needs them to know it at that moment, or because the writer needed to engage in some exposition to explain what they couldn't manage to get across by showing.

Or when characters act in completely nonsensical and contradictory ways, like when two sane scardy-cats get freaked out by a dead body and run back to the ship, but inexplicably and implausably get "lost" (even though they're the MAPPING GUYS), and then treat the sudden appearance of new extra-terrestrial life that looks vageuly snake-like as if it were a cute kitten.

I mean seriously, it's just fucking insulting it's so bad. And it happens over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 8406/11/2012

Considering the dialogue they coughed up, r82, I think the writers only know one syllable words.

By the way, the guy who played the captain, Idris Elba, was one of the whores in the "Sex" episode of AbFab -- he's the one Patsy says looks like Sean Connery. Remembering that was the only bright spot in an otherwise mind-numbing 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 8506/11/2012

[quote]Maybe the writers should have used one syllable words so you could understand it.

You have to be joking, or are you just a total fucking moron? There was nothing remotely complex about the insipid, idiotic dialogue. The "scientist" boyfriend, despite his supposed intellectual achievements was written and acted like an insipid fratboy who could barely string three one syllable words together at a time.

For fuck's sake. If you're going to defend this movie beyond the admittedly stunning at times cinematography, you need to do better than writing stupid insults at the level of the screenwriters of this awful film. I mean, really. You're just embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8606/11/2012

Why does everyone on the internet yell and shout at each other so?

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2012

"Prometheus" is what happens when a veteran director gets to the point where he thinks his shit doesn't stick and goes around mining his past and "improving" his prior achievements. He's powerful enough that no one wants to tell him "No, this is a bad idea!" and studio executives are just happy that he's reviving a classic so they'll greenlight anything.

Previous victims: George Lucas & the Star Wars prequels, Steven Spielberg & Indiana Jones.

by Anonymousreply 8806/11/2012

Well, I liked it. Saw it twice. Made more sense the second time. I think David was experimenting with Holloway. He gave him a tiny drop of the goo to see what would happen. I think the dosage amount dictates how quickly and dramatically it works.

My theory closely resembles yours, R74.

"So the black goo basically breaks down the proto-humans DNA and re-builds it. The ship was meant to carry the black goo to Earth to spread it to the humans to rebuild them into proto-humans"

My guess is that the hooded figure, the Engineer at the beginning was not on earth, he was on the planet the Earth scientists landed on.

I got a distinct impression the proto-humans were leaving him behind, maybe at his direction. It seemed suicide-ish to me.

That goo they'd invented or whatever, had unintentionally infected all life, so you got angry mutant creatures who then assaulted, attacked, and combined with the Proto humans like they did in Alien.

The weak part was Weyland. That's where it went off the rails. Ridley blew it with that. I understand inventing a sinister Corporate Evil consistent with the Alien series, but the "Old billionaire searching for eternal life" was dumb.

There a were many other contrivances they could've used. We're running out of resources. We sent satellites and robots to Mars and elsewhere.

Why not just use a rationale more believeable. A secret bio-weapons agenda would have been easy. Charlize as a rep for the evil corporation was fine. But Guy Pearce was truly wasted.

by Anonymousreply 8906/11/2012

"Or when characters act in completely nonsensical and contradictory ways, like when two sane scardy-cats get freaked out by a dead body and run back to the ship, but inexplicably and implausably get "lost" (even though they're the MAPPING GUYS), and then treat the sudden appearance of new extra-terrestrial life that looks vageuly snake-like as if it were a cute kitten."

I had problems with a lot of character behaviors in the movie (that moment when Idris Elba just starts laying out exposition he has no reason to know was one of the clunkiest things I've ever seen in a major motion picture) but these ones seem obvious to me - they might have been "the mapping guys" if by that you mean they had the little spinning computer drones that went off and did all of their mapping for them, which was then sent off to the ship and they never saw any of it. I think that excuses them not knowing their way around.

And by the time the worm creatures show up, aren't they both supposed to be stoned out of their minds? I know at least the bearded guy was supposed to be, and I thought there was an edit that implied he'd shared with the other guy too.

by Anonymousreply 9006/11/2012

The scene where Weyland is revealed in the spaceship. He was wearing a white robe and his minions were washing his feet. Isn't that a bible reference to Jesus' feet being anointed by Mary Magdalene (or some other woman as disputed by bible scholars)?

by Anonymousreply 9106/11/2012

I though the movie was great. However, I think it would have been better if they followed the original plot as somebody else suggested: Average people working average jobs in the future. Nothing spectacular in terms of scenery or special effects. It was a chemistry that worked for Alien, and could have worked for Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 9206/11/2012

Something else to consider... In Alien and Aliens, you cared for the (most) of the characters and didn't want them to die.

In Prometheus, I didn't care when any of the characters died.

by Anonymousreply 9306/11/2012

Great point, R93. I loved it, however.

by Anonymousreply 9406/11/2012

The look of the film is outstanding as are Fassbender and Rapace. But while it starts out great, it self-implodes into a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 9506/11/2012

If you were going to launch a ship to visit an advanced alien civilization, why would you bring along two archaeologists, a geologist and a biologist?

One would assume that the civilization you're going to visit would still be intact.

You would want language and behavior experts, sociologists, technical people. Think of the group the was assembled to meet the aliens in "Close Encounters."

There was absolutely no reason for Shaw and Holloway to be on board.

by Anonymousreply 9606/11/2012

"I understand inventing a sinister Corporate Evil consistent with the Alien series, but the "Old billionaire searching for eternal life" was dumb"

What's so dumb about that???

by Anonymousreply 9706/11/2012

That's what billionaires do, R97. They are bored.

by Anonymousreply 9806/11/2012

The best part of the movie was Logan Marshall-Green's and Michael Fassbender's feets in flip flops.

by Anonymousreply 9906/11/2012

Was Charlize Theron "Ripley"? She seemed like it.

by Anonymousreply 10006/11/2012

Ripley was a well defined character played brilliantly by SW CT not so much and usually I like her....

The symbolism of the cross was a bit heavy don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 10106/11/2012

I agree, R101.

One thing that left me confused was what happened to the Space Jockey they discovered in Alien that sent out the SOS to not come to LV-426. How did he send the SOS to Nostromo is wasn't in his chair?

By the way, was LV-426 mentioned in Prometheus? I can't remember. That's the planet they discovered the Space Jockey in Alien.

by Anonymousreply 10206/11/2012

Read this guy's analysis of the movie. I think he's got the writer's intent correct. It reeks of Lindelof's ostentatious Christian allegories.

Basically, the Engineers want to destroy us because we killed a certain emmissary of theirs who lived 2000 years ago.

It's no accident that there's a Christmas tree aboard the ship.

by Anonymousreply 10306/11/2012

The IMDB discussion board is hilarious. People are having a ball tearing apart this movie.

"Is Dr. Shaw going to starve to death on that ship?"

by Anonymousreply 10406/11/2012

Didn't the emissary say forgive them father they know not?

by Anonymousreply 10506/11/2012

[quote]By the way, was LV-426 mentioned in Prometheus? I can't remember. That's the planet they discovered the Space Jockey in Alien.

No, it wasn't.

This is a different planet.

by Anonymousreply 10606/11/2012

[quote]And by the time the worm creatures show up, aren't they both supposed to be stoned out of their minds? I know at least the bearded guy was supposed to be, and I thought there was an edit that implied he'd shared with the other guy too.

If THAT is what they were trying to get across, they did an absolutely shit-poor job of it. Again... lazy and sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 10706/11/2012

R102, there was no mention at all of the LV-426 planet in Prometheus.

I think you mistyped something in your first paragraph because your question doesn't make sense. But I don't think we necessarily know that it was the space jockey that originated the distress signal that turned out to be a warning message in Alien.

The crew of Nostromo picked up the signal from the ship that they found the jockey in, but there was no way of knowing who initiated it.

It's largely assumed that since the jockey was the only creature (not counting the eggs) that they found, the jockey must be responsible for the warning signal. But the crew really only searched a small part of the ship before Kane got attacked and they retreated to the Nostromo, so it's unknown what else might have been aboard the crashed ship.

by Anonymousreply 10806/11/2012

[quote]My guess is that the hooded figure, the Engineer at the beginning was not on earth, he was on the planet the Earth scientists landed on.

You guess wrong. That was earth, and that was the beginning of all life on earth ("Panspermia"). It was purposeful.

But again, it wasn't clear due to really sloppy story-telling.

by Anonymousreply 10906/11/2012

R108, yes, I did mistype. I apologize about that.

Muy original question was - what happened to to the space jockey in the chair in the original Alien with the chest burst that Tom Skerritt discovered?

by Anonymousreply 11006/11/2012

Thanks for answering my question, R108. If the space jockey is the only one they assumed sent there distress signal then there is a possibility he didn't...if he didn't...t wonder who did then?

by Anonymousreply 11106/11/2012

[quote] It's largely assumed that since the jockey was the only creature (not counting the eggs) that they found.

I also assumed an Alien Queen was also on the planet because of the eggs.

by Anonymousreply 11206/11/2012

I'm sorry, I type fast. Sorry for my typos.

by Anonymousreply 11306/11/2012

The Queen didn't exist in the mythology of the first movie. The setup was that the Space Jockey was transporting the eggs in the cargo and one of them got loose and infected him.

by Anonymousreply 11406/11/2012

Didn't Vickers end the distress signal?

by Anonymousreply 11506/11/2012

Saw Prometheus in 3D. Really enjoyed the 3D, so that was successful. I didn't mind that much about the sloppy plotting and dialogue, if only because it's a big summer movie. Summer movies tend to be dumb as a box of rocks and wear that proudly. This one at least tried to give people something to think about. Also, I continue to be baffled at the love thrown to Fassbender by Hollywood and internet fanboys/girls.

by Anonymousreply 11606/11/2012

So how does LV426 fit into this?

Did mama alien just suddenly decide to planet hop?

Thanks for the link, r103. Helpful but this was still a pretty convoluted mess.

by Anonymousreply 11706/11/2012

[quote]Saw Prometheus in 3D. Really enjoyed the 3D, so that was successful. I didn't mind that much about the sloppy plotting and dialogue, if only because it's a big summer movie.

Thank you R116! Anyone who thought this was going to be a masterpiece is an IDIOT! It's Ridley Scott people! When was the last time he directed a masterpiece? Robin Hood anyone? Or how about A Good Year or possibly GI Jane? Even Gladiator wasn't that great.

There is no way this movie could be anything but what it turned out to be. He's trying to set up a franchise. He did the same thing with Robin Hood- all back story and no story. The old coot is 75 years old and this is what old coots do- try to leave there mark with so death doesn't feel so final.

by Anonymousreply 11806/11/2012

Enjoyed reading the analysis at r103 (loved that he mentioned Charlize Theron's apparent inability to run sideways). However, it doesn't change the fact that the script is still a complete mess.

And a pox on anybody who thinks we're idiots because we expect a summer movie to not only entertain us but also be smart and sophisticated. The two ideas shouldn't be mutually exclusive, and that anybody defends such a concept, well, he's the real idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11906/11/2012

R78 they were pissed off about Jesus, so the weapon was Armaggedon.

by Anonymousreply 12006/11/2012

Prometheus is a brilliant film. It's a shame that most posters here are too stupid to realize it

by Anonymousreply 12106/11/2012

[quote] Ripley was a well defined character played brilliantly by SW

According to John Hurt, the Lambert character was equal to Ripley in importance in tne script and had quite a few scenes deleted by order of Sigourney Weaver.

I wish I could find that interview. It was on YouTube for years. In it, he seemed to imply that he and Veronica Cartwright got it on during the filming of the movie and he came right out and said that once Sigourney saw all the scenes involving the Lambert character, she had many of them axed and Lambert was made a secondary character.

by Anonymousreply 12206/11/2012

No, R121. Just.... no.

by Anonymousreply 12306/11/2012

I wish they had marketed the movie for what it was, a search for the meaning and origin of life instead of creating a trailer that made it look like an action sci-fi film. Of course then I would've waited to see it on DVD. I did like David even though it seemed they couldn't decide if he should be evil or good. I prefer the dangerous evil David.

by Anonymousreply 12406/11/2012

I wish they had had a script doctor make a few passes so that the characters actually seemed like real people, with real jobs, and behaved in ways that were at least remotely believable.

And recasting the two lead scientists would have helped. The guy was hot, but that was all. And the chick? Awful. Horrible. Bad.

by Anonymousreply 12506/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 12606/12/2012

r121, it's a very fine line between the stupidity of the audience and the ass-covering of the screenwriter-especially in genre films.

by Anonymousreply 12706/12/2012

Someone scanned a picture of the murals that is in the art of Prometheus book.

The first image has a humanoid (emerging?) from a Geigeresque creature...

by Anonymousreply 12806/12/2012

... and the second image has a creature holding the familiar egg.

by Anonymousreply 12906/12/2012

OK. So maybe the Engineers were hoping to harvest humans to help them get rid of the creatures and make more humanoid big guys. Like a military masterrace.

by Anonymousreply 13006/12/2012

I saw it over the weekend. Easily one of the worst movies of the year. Pretentious, nonsensical, and deeply unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 13106/12/2012

Prometheus took place on LV-223, not LV-426. This can't be a prequel.

by Anonymousreply 13206/12/2012

It's been stated by the director that this is not the ship that the Nostromo crew found.

by Anonymousreply 13306/12/2012

I didn't know that, R133. I assumed it was. The prequel would be about who sent the distress signal in Alien.

by Anonymousreply 13406/12/2012

Engineer and black ooze created human

Human and black ooze created monster

Monster and woman created octopus thing

Octopus thing and Engineer created "Alien".

It's a great movie to get stoned and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 13506/12/2012

They actually filmed a scene for "Alien" where the crew hears the alien distress signal but it was cut from the final picture.

by Anonymousreply 13606/12/2012

But that doesn't explain how the Engineers had icons of the humanoid xenomorph (the Queen, the drone and the egg) before Promethus landed.

Unless they imported the black ooze to Earth, made some xenomorphs and exported them back to EngineerWorld.

by Anonymousreply 13706/12/2012

R103, that is the best analysis of the film so far.

by Anonymousreply 13806/12/2012

[quote]According to John Hurt, the Lambert character was equal to Ripley in importance in tne script and had quite a few scenes deleted by order of Sigourney Weaver.

[quote]I wish I could find that interview. It was on YouTube for years. In it, he seemed to imply that he and Veronica Cartwright got it on during the filming of the movie and he came right out and said that once Sigourney saw all the scenes involving the Lambert character, she had many of them axed and Lambert was made a secondary character.

I don't believe Hurt for one second. At that point in her career, Sigourney Weaver did not have the power to influence the director, producer or writer to make significant changes like that.

by Anonymousreply 13906/12/2012

U.S. audiences get dumber by the decade. Back in the 50s, a script like the one for Prometheus would have been filmed by American International or Universal for $50,000, exhibited on the grindhouse circuit, and enjoyed for a few cheap thrills. Today's it's tricked out with a zillion dollars in special effects and marketed for the same amount and fanboys discuss it as if they were scholars debating Shakespeare in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 14006/12/2012

They actually had to do some reshooting with Sigourney in the original Alien because she just wasn't used to performing for film, only stage work. At that point in her career she didn't have the power to redirect lines to her from another actor. And everything I've ever read about her indicates she wouldn't.

Lambert never had that many scenes in any of the shooting scripts for Alien IIRC. Lambert and Ripley do have that scene that was deleted where they talk about whether Ash was interested in them sexually. And a few bits earlier, especially where she attacks Ripley in the Med Bay observation room. But they ALL had scenes cut, and some never filmed, like the Ripley/Dallas sex scene.

Weaver WAS really pissed with Cameron for cutting the scene in Aliens where Ripley discovers her daughter died of cancer while she was in hypersleep. She agreed to do the film for that one scene...

by Anonymousreply 14106/13/2012

The original Alien was filmed before the Reagan era. The difference between Alien and Prometheus is the difference between pre-Reagan and post-Reagan America.

by Anonymousreply 14206/13/2012

I saw it today. I, too wanted to like it. I enjoyed parts of it, from a special-effects perspective, and for moments of plot, but agree that it largely was a matter of possibilities missed. As a yarn and a motion picture, it was a high-octane B movie with delusions of grandeur.

Nothing bears too-close scrutiny, of course. The spiritual symbolism, intrinsic to themes of life's meaning, God's presence, creation's mystery and intent or lack of it, was one thing. The notion that somehow the Engineers were calling in their chips because of the execution of Christ is ridiculous, especially since in the Christian mythos (shudder) Christ's sacrificial death was necessary, foreordained and Self-Chosen.

And there would be no reason to destroy life with vicious life, if such destruction was the actual intent of the Engineers with their Nasty Ship. Why not just ship a simpler tool of destruction, such as a big bomb? I assume we'll discover Good Engineers and Bad Engineers in a sequel, with the latter iconoclasts who want to eradicate the ungodly bioengineering project that has taken their society's resources for - oh - a billion years or so. The Good Engineers will side with C-Sexy Girl to defeat these creeps, with their octupi that give birth to Aliens. Seemingly all roads lead to those Aliens, huh?

by Anonymousreply 14306/13/2012

Engineers are kind of hot, if you don't mind the Play-Do face. They are a little too steroid-y for my taste, but I'm sure others will appreciate the beefcake.

Some behind the scenes photos might make things even more confusing....if that's possible. It looks like the Engineer that disintegrated in the opening scene might have had an associate that was cut out of the movie.

I'm hoping that a Director's Cut of the film will help the story make more sense.

by Anonymousreply 14406/15/2012

I wouldn't give a Director's Cut the time of day. There's really nothing you can do to save this movie other than throw it all out and start again fresh with a different writer, director, and cast.

by Anonymousreply 14506/15/2012

Behind the scenes photos show the makeup behind the Engineers.

by Anonymousreply 14606/15/2012

I agree R145. I want to know who sent the distress signal from the movie Alien. Was it a space jockey or somebody from Weylan (The Company) on LV-426.

by Anonymousreply 14706/15/2012

It was what I would expect from a Dior commercial if I lived in 2094 and on a planet with a questionable alien lineage.

by Anonymousreply 14806/15/2012

r147, it wasn't a distress signal, it was a warning to stay away.

by Anonymousreply 14906/16/2012

Thanks for that link, r146. I love it that they gave him tubing so that he could piss without taking his suit off. So many spfx/suit designers forget about that.

by Anonymousreply 15006/16/2012

When your shipmate's corpse shows up someplace OTHER than where you left it... Run away from it and not toward it.

Everybody knows that the character that goes to check out the corpse deserves to die a horrible death. So many lessons can be learned by watching Scary Movie.

by Anonymousreply 15106/16/2012

Yeah R146, thanks for the link. So much better the second time.

by Anonymousreply 15206/16/2012

Question Alien fans...

Would the space jockey's send a transmission to stay away from LV-426? Or, do you think somebody from The Company would do that? I am very curious to know who sent that transmission in Alien. I wish they would have focused on that in Prometheus.

Do you think that would make an interesting movie?

by Anonymousreply 15306/16/2012

R153. Weyland-Yutani wouldn't have been responsible for the origination of that message. If they did send it, it would have been recognizable and not mistakenly first interpreted as a distress signal but later figured out to be a warning.

Rather, I think the company knew that the signal had been triggered (maybe they knew by whom, or maybe not) and wanted to get to the planet as soon as possible to harvest an alien sample - they may or may not have known exactly what the alien was at that point, but they obviously had a rough idea. And they knew the Nostromo would automatically be programmed to go into rescue/recovery mode if it drifted close enough to pick that signal up, so they made sure that the ship was traveling in the general area.

I'm still undecided on whether the company actually knew that the derelict ship contained the multitude of eggs. I lean toward them not knowing, and therefore the meeting that Ripley has at the beginning of Aliens is real - the board members don't believe her story about the existence of the eggs or the alien. But of course someone big at the company must be aware (maybe only Peter Weyland himself) since they wanted to Ash to harvest some kind of alien life and bring it back to Earth. But I really don't think the majority of the board members knew the truth and were honest in their brushing off of Ripley's story.

The only reason I think that it must have been a very tightly held secret is that I don't see a corporation (even one that has made severely ethically challenged moves) allowing a whole colony of human families to start populating and terraforming the planet without doing something to either collect all those eggs or otherwise secure the humans safety. The failure of the colony and loss of life on LV-426 would be majorly damaging to that company and I can't see board members deciding that would be an acceptable risk.

Believe me, I understand your itch to know what went down on LV-426 before the Nostromo arrives. I'm guessing that you are the person that has essentially asked that question a couple of times in these various threads, but I could be wrong. And the "is it or isn't it" buzz about Prometheus being a direct prequel served to get people hoping to get answers to that question.

But we aren't really going to know unless they make Prometheus 2. Or actually, I bet Ridley Scott and Lindelof had a trilogy in mind with the third film possibly answering those questions while also continuing their own new narrative for more potential sequels.

It is interesting that the Alien movies are just a sort of offshoot to the much grander story that Prometheus is trying (and in my opinion failing) to tell.

The whole origin of life on Earth and it's relationship to Engineers/Space Jockeys along with the seemingly unintentional creation of something that will eventually lead to the xenomorph alien we are familiar with are the Prometheus story. The Alien movie is largely a side story of one of those new creatures getting loose in a spaceship and hunting the crew.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. Others may have different opinions or know things that I am forgetting or am not aware of. Please feel free to share, or correct me.

by Anonymousreply 15406/16/2012

Wow, Vincent, thanks. Great thoughts.

Prometheus took place on LV-223, not LV-426. So, it couln't really be a direct prequel. I wish it was.

I think you make a great point about The Company (Weyland-Yutani) wanting to get to LV-426 so that makes me beleive the warning came from an employee of Weyland-Yutani.

You're right, I did post a few other times about wanting to know who sent that transmission at the beginning of Alien.

[quote]I bet Ridley Scott and Lindelof had a trilogy in mind with the third film possibly answering those questions while also continuing their own new narrative for more potential sequels.

This would be amazing. However, they seem liek they are not venturing back into the storyline that includes LV-426. Unless, a different writer came on board and took the Alien story down this path. Which I would love to see.

by Anonymousreply 15506/16/2012

We can only HOPE a different writer comes on board.

by Anonymousreply 15606/16/2012

Ridley Scott would be pissed as he was with James Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 15706/16/2012

So the planet of Prometheus is different than the one of Alien/Aliens, yet they make a point of the ship crashing so it rests in the exact same position as the derelict famous from both those movies...?

by Anonymousreply 15806/16/2012

Well, not really... In the Alien film, the two ends were pointed more up, whereas in Prometheus, it fell over... no?

But yeah, I thought of that and it didn't sit very well. Basically it means a very similar series of events had to happen on another planet...

by Anonymousreply 15906/16/2012

I was entertained.

by Anonymousreply 16006/16/2012

That's why I was so confused at the end Prometheus when the space jockey died on the floor and not in his seat.

Could Ridley Scott have forgotten about LV-426? I feel Prometheus was rushed to completion. There was not much thought that went into this film.

by Anonymousreply 16106/16/2012

I wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 16206/16/2012

[quote]There was not much thought that went into this film.

Or, rather not much thought went into filling holes and gaps from Alien.

by Anonymousreply 16306/16/2012

I really just need to know, is Ridley Scott a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 16406/16/2012

No, Ridley has been married three times. His third wife that he's married to now is very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 16506/16/2012

Who was the reanimated person who showed up at the main ship and was fighting 2-3 of the crew members?

I couldn't tell who it was - it wasn't the guy that Charlize torched, so was it one of the two who died inside the cave?

by Anonymousreply 16606/16/2012

R153/155. Although I can't pretend that I know everything about the Alien universe, I am a big fan and I do enjoy a decent and rational discussion like we've had.

Like you, I've been posting in the Prometheus threads often. I try to remember to sign my posts (sometimes I shorten it to a V), but I realize that I don't always, so people might not have an idea of how much I've actually complained about the new movie.

Anyway, about the two different planets, you are right that the events we just saw on LV-223 don't lead us directly up to the derelict ship in Alien, but I'm pretty confident that they have the story in mind for how we get from the end of Prometheus to Alien for a follow-up movie(s). So if this movie isn't too much of a flop, I'm sure your and my questions will be answered eventually.

But Ridley tried to downplay the prequel idea (even though he also used it to build anticipation) so that we'd be aware that we wouldn't get those direct connections yet.

It's funny, for a minute when the Prometheus crashed into and brought down the space jockey ship at the end, I did wonder if there was some way that this was the same ship in Alien - even though I know it was a different planet. The position of the crashed ship was reminiscent of the derelict ship which fed into my wondering.

I had ideas about how the names of the planets could have changed somehow over time. An evil corporation like Weyland-Yutani could maybe play a hand in that happening, although I have no story idea why that would be something they'd put effort into...unless there was a need for a massive cover up.

Or I thought about how planets might change orbits and cause someone to land on one when they think they are on another. It was Star Trek 2 that I had on my mind were the Reliant landed on Ceti Alpha V (and found Khan) but thought they were on Ceti Alpha VI - which Khan explained blew up and shifted the orbit of V. So there is precedence for that kind of story with astronomers not noting the planetary change and letting everyone else know.

But I dismissed that because of a few things. We don't know how high profile the Prometheus' mission was to the general population of Earth, so it's hard to know if the ship never returning would make a big splash, or be covered up and go relatively unnoticed. Either way, I would think that if the Nostromo came across that crash site, they should have noted that the Prometheus ship was crashed there along with the space jockey vessel.

So that's a wayyyy too long (sorry about that) way of me explaining why I've stopped thinking that LV-426 and LV-223 are somehow the same place.

So somehow a lot of stuff is going to happen and that we can only guess at. Whether humans end up having anything to do with the crash on LV-426 and the signal being sent is still up in the air...but I'll bet money that they do play a part somehow.

I keep thinking about what happens in the Prometheus movie and what assumptions that I initially made that might be wrong.

For example, the most recent thing on my mind...

The cave drawings that directed them to LV-223, we aren't told a whole heck of a lot about them. They were found in different parts of Earth and presumed to have been left by the humans that lived in those places at different points in history - at the direction of the Engineers. I'm not sure why we think the Engineers were responsible for those directions, except that Shaw seemed to think so. Since she later screams about how "We were wrong. We were so wrong." There could be many things she's wrong about. I'm wondering if there could be another party at play that was responsible for giving humans those 'star maps.' Maybe some other alien race that wanted humans to find that planet and do something about it...mess with the Engineers plans or something.

I don't have the idea fleshed out very well, but it's something that I've just started wondering about.

That's the trouble with this movie, too many possibilities are open-ended because they tied up so none.

by Anonymousreply 16706/16/2012

Okay, this is all kinds of awesome... someone wrote up "Prometheus in 15 minutes", a quick summary of the entire movie with tons of snark.

Now, I have no idea why they state at the beginning that they loved the movie, but they totally rip it to shreds in every paragraph that follows... which is especially impressive since what follows is nothing more than an accurate summary of what actually happened in the movie.

This is a must read, and well worth your 15 minutes:

by Anonymousreply 16806/17/2012

Thank you r168 reminded me of the good ole days of MS3K...

The poor sucker saw the movie THREE times?

by Anonymousreply 16906/17/2012

Thanks R168. Woooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 17006/17/2012

That reminds me, I would like to see that Milwaukee Mike guy or whatever his name is (the guy that made the funny and scathing reviews of the Star Wars prequels) post a video review of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 17106/17/2012

R168, that was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17206/17/2012

Very funny but he should have fun of the old guy when he is told to wear his space helmet he says 'feels all right to me'....

by Anonymousreply 17306/17/2012

Amen r168. The internet has some really talented writers, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 17406/17/2012

Your link shows more than one Engineer- so it's very possible that there were two factions of Engineers at odds with each other- hence the map pointing towards LV-223.

Also- I've worked with one of the actors back in Spring (I asked for no spoilers) and he told me that Ridley did have a trilogy in mind. And both go back in time (I suppose in flashbacks?), thus the casting of Guy, rather than an older actor.

And check this out- this is the full bas-relief wall- you can see the Engineers with Face Huggers on them in the lower corners. The pic will embiggen when you click on it:

by Anonymousreply 17506/17/2012

What I don't understand is, at the beginning of the movie, in order to spread the DNA on whatever that planet is, why the muscle bond Engineer has to kill himself? Why can't he masturbate furiously into the waterfall, or jack off into the jar of the black goo and then, toss it into the water?

That's what I would do.

by Anonymousreply 17606/17/2012

Marry me R176

by Anonymousreply 17706/17/2012

[quote]That reminds me, I would like to see that Milwaukee Mike guy or whatever his name is (the guy that made the funny and scathing reviews of the Star Wars prequels) post a video review of this movie.

That would be awesome. I assume we'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD at least... but that's ONE thing I can look forward to.

Until then, the link at R168 will have to hold me over.

by Anonymousreply 17806/17/2012

Vincent, thank you for the great post. You offer amazing insight.

by Anonymousreply 17906/17/2012

We have yet to meet Yutani. I wonder if he will in the next films?

[quote]It's funny, for a minute when the Prometheus crashed into and brought down the space jockey ship at the end, I did wonder if there was some way that this was the same ship in Alien - even though I know it was a different planet. The position of the crashed ship was reminiscent of the derelict ship which fed into my wondering.

This is exactly what I thought as well.

Vincent, are you fan of Blade Runner? Ridley is making the sequel. Do you know anything about it?

by Anonymousreply 18006/17/2012

I saw it yesterday and was disappointed. While the special effects were breathtaking, the story was a letdown. I thought it would have been more along the lines of ALIEN, which it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 18106/17/2012

I didn't realize it was a comedy. I probably would have liked it more (or even at all) if it were marketed as a comedy along the lines of "Scary Movie", because that was about the level of the writing.

by Anonymousreply 18206/17/2012

Does LV in LV-223, LV-426 possibly stands for Louis Vuitton?

The pattern on the Louis Vuitton bag closely resembles a cross.

by Anonymousreply 18306/17/2012

Hey R180. Although I'm pretty much a sci-fi nerd, but I've never been a Blade Runner fan for some reason. I remember in the early 90's when they released the version without the voiceover narrative and the different ending. My boyfriend at the time took me to see it and as much as I wanted to love it, it was only OK to me. (and my possibly unpopular opinion is the voiceover version is better) It's visually stunning as with other Ridley films, but the story just leaves me cold.

I do understand why people love it, but it doesn't trip my trigger. Although I do sometimes say "Not fish. Snake scale." in an offensive Asian accent because I think it's funny.

Nevertheless, I'll see the sequel. But I don't know much about the planning. Please tell me he's not working with Lindelof on the story.

R175, I'm envious of your self-restraint. Although the actor you mentioned possibly wouldn't have been allowed to talk about the story, I would have pressed him hard to ignore his confidentiality contract to get some scoop.

But I am happy to hear your confirmation that they have a trilogy in mind. Once I saw that Weyland wasn't used as a young man in Prometheus, I figured what you are suggesting, that Guy Pearce will be featured as a young man in a follow-up.

On another topic, I like your use of the word 'embiggen.'

by Anonymousreply 18406/17/2012

Embiggen is a perfectly cromulent word.

by Anonymousreply 18506/17/2012

[quote]Please tell me he's not working with Lindelof on the story.

Please tell me nobody every works with Lindelof on any story ever again.

I think I'm going to start keeping track of what he's doing, and studiously avoiding ANYTHING he's associated with.

by Anonymousreply 18606/17/2012

I am largely a fan of Blade Runner because it takes place in the same universe as Alien. I did like the story, however. It asks big questions like who we are, and why we are.

by Anonymousreply 18706/17/2012

Isn't her name Noomi? Why do we refer to her as TGWTDT?

Will she be in the sequell?

Agree Tom Hardy should have played the dumb boyfriend.

You forgot there were 3 sets of feets. Fasts bender,dumb boyfriend, and 200 year old Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 18806/17/2012

I think the reason for making the medpod "male only" was so the screenwriters wouldn't have to explain why the menu didn't have an "abortion" function.

by Anonymousreply 18906/17/2012

IT was just stupid sloppy writing that made no sense. Though it makes equally no sense to harp on the med-pod problem, when the entire script is rife with that sort of utter lazy stupid crap writing.

by Anonymousreply 19006/17/2012

Just a thought on the opening scene with the "suicidal" Engineer... I took it as the Engineer was usinging his own DNA to make mass quantities of the black ooze. The waterfall and sea looked like the barren landscape that was observed from the ship when Prometheus arrives.

by Anonymousreply 19106/17/2012

R191, the scene is SUPPOSED to represent the Engineers coming to earth billions of years ago and seeding life on this planet.

Of course, the fact that so few people get this is just another example of the horrible writing (and possibly direction) in this movie.

Of course, we're also asked to believe that Engineers haven't evolved at all in BILLIONS of years, and also that the DNA that seeded life on earth starting with slime, through every animal and plant, on up to humans... and then somehow the DNA in humans alone matches Engineer DNA perfectly ... what?

(just shaking my head)

by Anonymousreply 19206/17/2012

Here is my take.

I think the head was secretly in love with TGWTDT. Did you see how he lovingly looked at her when she zipped up his bag at the end? I hope that the sequel continues their love story in space.

by Anonymousreply 19306/17/2012

Since Shaw couldn't have children, I assume her eggs were bad? So was the squid baby one of Holloways mutant sperms? Wouldn't there be thousands of them in her body?

To think, all the work and money put into this film and it all comes down to two words: squid baby.

by Anonymousreply 19406/17/2012

R194, there are literally hundreds of moments in this movie that you can rip apart like that, because they make absolutely no sense.

by Anonymousreply 19506/17/2012

This movie was a waste of great direction, great acting, and beautiful set design. Like others on this thread, I gave pause the moment "written by Damon Lindhof" came on the screen but quickly put it out of my head because I didn't think Ridley would work with a bad script. Jesus H was I wrong!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19606/17/2012

So I guess design and technology rapidly devolve between this and Alien, where they seem to be in the dot matrix era.

by Anonymousreply 19706/17/2012

Marry me, r185

Ridley is working with the original screenwriter from Blade Runner, so it should be a better movie than Prometheus:

by Anonymousreply 19806/17/2012

R197, that's the problem with making a 'prequel' over 30 years later.

Still... this ship was a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus, while the ship in Alien is a cheap-o long-haul blue-collar used old ship, where the emphasis is not on comfort but on profit.

So you can sorta rationalize it like that.

by Anonymousreply 19906/17/2012

Great movie, I'm going to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 20006/18/2012

i thought the heroic suicide of the three pilots was particularly poorly done. None of those guys acted like they had the slightest misgivings about obliterating themselves.

Similar problems that i have with "the walking dead": When people are in urgent life or death situations. they do NOT take little time outs to have meaningful conversations about the larger philisophical meaning of their plight.No, they do whatever pragmatic actions they need to do to stay the fuck alive, and talk about the cosmic existential issues later, when the danger has passed. Thats a major reason why Alien was so good. It was a story about people actually trying to survive, not having major moral epiphanies.

by Anonymousreply 20106/18/2012

[quote]So I guess design and technology rapidly devolve between this and Alien, where they seem to be in the dot matrix era.

It also seems light years ahead of the technology in Cameron's "Aliens" which would have taken place close to a century after "Prometheus", and partially took place on what one would assume would be a pretty luxe space station.

The ship design and technology in Aliens also seemed like a natural evolution from Alien, like they belonged in the same universe. Prometheus looked like Avatar.

by Anonymousreply 20206/18/2012

[quote]Isn't her name Noomi? Why do we refer to her as TGWTDT?

Noomi Rapace is best known heretofore as the star of T*he G*irl W*ith T*he D*ragon T*attoo.

by Anonymousreply 20306/18/2012

Am I the only one who, when I saw the black goo, had X-Files flashbacks and thought, "This won't end well considering what happened to the X-Files."

by Anonymousreply 20406/18/2012

My way of thinking away the differences in design between "Alien" and "Prometheus" was that "Alien" essentially took place on an old garbage truck, while "Prometheus" took place on a trillion-dollar custom designed ship.

That's just how I explained it all away in my head.

by Anonymousreply 20506/18/2012

[quote]What I don't understand is, at the beginning of the movie, in order to spread the DNA on whatever that planet is, why the muscle bond Engineer has to kill himself? Why can't he masturbate furiously into the waterfall, or jack off into the jar of the black goo and then, toss it into the water?

Oooh, oooh, I know the answer to this!

It's because sex cells only contain HALF of our DNA, with the other half coming from the other partner in every baby-making equation.

by Anonymousreply 20606/20/2012

[quote]I so smart!

Too bad Damon Lindelof isn't.

by Anonymousreply 20706/20/2012

I was curious as to whether the Engineer/space jockey species were unified or had multiple factions. In the prologue to the movie, we saw one of them, dressed very differently from the 'space jockeys' in the military installation and it was somewhat implied that it was this beings' DNA that provided the blue print for humanity (since it was stated that our DNA, individual mutations aside, was essentially a match). When we looked overhead, the space ship he came from was a saucer shape versus the arc shape found on the military planet.

It made me think there may be at least two different factions of this race, who might have very different missions. The first alien may have been from a possibly scientific, benign faction that wanted to spread their genes to as many planets as possible while a more militaristic faction is focused on developing military biotech and possibly farming other planets using that black goo to do so.

I wonder if the species has more than one sex because it may be possible that they are unisex and their only way to reproduce may be through drinking this black goo.

by Anonymousreply 20806/20/2012

saw the movie with the bf today and LOVED it.

Typical DL trashing everything.

I do agree with whomever posted this:

"Why does Shaw not say “Just an FYI guys…there’s some sort of alien squid creature in the med bay”?"

And I will chime in and state: why didn't ANYONE who saw such fucked up shit tell the others??

Then I realized it was Lindelof who wrote it. The same thing happened on Lost.

But it was still an excellent film, visually stunning, well-acted, and decently written.

by Anonymousreply 20906/20/2012

and bravo, r82

by Anonymousreply 21006/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 21106/20/2012

The mother of all Damon Lindelof takedowns. Epic golf clap.

[quote]This is the joke of Prometheus. All the people complaining that it doesn't make sense? Of course it doesn't make sense because it's not fucking supposed to make sense. It's supposed to trick you into thinking it will make sense somewhere down the road, possibly in movie number 2 or movie number 3. But as anyone who has studied the terrible rise of Lindelof knows, the stuff being set up all throughout Prometheus will never be paid off in any satisfactory way. The mysteries being woven will never be unraveled. The shit being shoveled out there is completely fucking arbitrary and will never ever ever resolve into anything that looks like anything except a great big brownish shit-fog like the kind that might come from the ass of a smoke monster or perhaps Damon Lindelof.

by Anonymousreply 21206/20/2012

the link is to the "daily crabbie" That says it all.

It was a fun movie.

And, due to Fassbender's walk, thin frame with lean muscle, and huge dick that hung to the right (clearly visible in his "space suit") I just rented "Shame".

Prometheus makes you think. Beautifully filmed, directed...and even the death of Theron's character made sense: killed by her father's machine.

by Anonymousreply 21306/20/2012

It's a horrible movie, and the only thing it makes you think is "how the fuck did this shit get made"?

by Anonymousreply 21406/20/2012

I am stunned that so many of you are hailing this as some sort of masterpiece. This was sci-fi drivel and while it looked beautiful on the screen, the story was indeed a mess. Very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 21506/22/2012

R213 is easily impressed.

by Anonymousreply 21606/22/2012

I really like it. Yea, there were scenes that were so ridiculous I laughed but it was a grand spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 21706/22/2012

Honestly, I'm at a lost to understand why or how anyone could possibly like this, and have no fucking clue how it managed to get over 70% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.

It's a fucking HORRIBLE movie. It's AWEFUL. I nearly walked out it was so bad. Worst writing I've ever seen in a movie since, oh, "Armageddon".

by Anonymousreply 21806/22/2012

The "Prometheus" Science Training Course!

by Anonymousreply 21906/23/2012

r213 she wasn't killed by her father's machine, she was killed by an alien spaceship

by Anonymousreply 22006/23/2012

And these questions just scratch the surface. The more I think about this film, the more I realized it really,really, really sucked.

by Anonymousreply 22106/23/2012

I think the movie is brilliant. It's hard to make a film that is both completely senseless and absolutely predictable.

by Anonymousreply 22206/23/2012

R222, that's fucking hilarious :-)

And the best line from the link in R221: "Is he an expert in things that have never ever happened?"

by Anonymousreply 22306/23/2012

Eldergay science fiction reader and fan here - was really excited about this film - remember how much I loved alien and then aliens all those years ago - and the promethius short looked soooo cool... Avoided reading too much about it - just a couple of reviews from reviewers I like. Both reviewers raved about production values and effects - and the great cast - but both said the script was a little flawed...

I'm still reeling over how awful it was. It's just stupid and makes not a lick of sense.

I'm profoundly disappointed that two reviewers who I respect so much both shied away from calling it the crap is and played it so coy. Were they maybe insecure about bagging a director of such stature or something?? I don't understand why they didn't try and protect me from such dross...

Stupid, stupid film.

by Anonymousreply 22406/24/2012

I want to be fucked by the giant ripped alien in the opening scene. Holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 22506/25/2012

[quote]I'm still reeling over how awful it was. It's just stupid and makes not a lick of sense.

Exactly how I feel.

I can't stop talking about how awful it was.

I'm still at a loss to explain how it's getting 70%+ fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, from BOTH reviewers and users.

I'm gratified to see so many little YouTube bits mocking the shit out of how bad it was though, which is why I've posted several of them here.

by Anonymousreply 22606/25/2012

R226 this reminds me of how "Phantom Menace" received generally positive reviews and is now regarded as an absolutely terrible movie. I think critics do indeed buy into hype/pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 22706/25/2012

I think you're right. I even know friends who were in denial for a long time about TPM, and finally came around to the fact that it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 22806/25/2012

I loved that the alien spaceship that crushes Charlize Theron looked like a giant ropey turd. That seemed somehow a fitting comment on the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 22906/25/2012

What's the difference between a "space jockey" and an "engineer"?

No, not a riddle.

by Anonymousreply 23006/25/2012

There is no difference.

by Anonymousreply 23106/25/2012

Prometheus in 15 Minutes... (It's better than the movie.)

by Anonymousreply 23206/25/2012

Thanks R232. That was almost as good as when R168 posted it, but not quite.

by Anonymousreply 23306/26/2012

I just read that the Brad Pitt movie World War Z has been moved from premiering this December to next summer. The reason is because they just brought Damon Lindelof in re-write the ending of the movie for them.

I don't get it. Why does he keep getting work on high profile projects? Is it the latest thing that producers don't want their movies to make any sense? This news is such a buzzkill for me and I'm no longer excited about this movie.

by Anonymousreply 23406/26/2012

The generally positive reviews reflect my own feelings. The film has some infuriatingly huge holes in it and raises far more questions than it answers (and the characters behave in ways that are sub-moronic), but I still really enjoyed the 2+ hours I was watching it.

by Anonymousreply 23506/26/2012

How did you enjoy it? I was ready to walk out. I was begging for it to be over by the end. I don't think I could have taken much more. It was THAT bad.

Do you enjoy being insulted or something?

I *wish* it had been entertaining. I *wish* it had been scary or tense, instead of laughable. I *wish* it had been worth the money I paid (and I went to a matinee).

I still can't fathom the good reviews, or how anyone can admit all it's myriad problems adn still say they "liked" it. That makes no sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 23606/26/2012

Maybe because I don't get so invested in films that I feel 'offended' or 'insulted' if they don't pan out the way I hope.

by Anonymousreply 23706/26/2012

No, that's not it...

by Anonymousreply 23806/26/2012

All the answers lie in the title:

Pro Meth E US.

Obviously, you do a good quantity of methamphetamine, then watch the film.

by Anonymousreply 23906/26/2012

r234- expect WWZ to be a terrible film- I've heard that it's been very difficult to translate to film, and they've had a hard time nailing down the look of the zombies.

The whole Canterbury storytelling style is what made the book interesting.

by Anonymousreply 24006/26/2012

R236/R238 et al., since you've contribute 40 posts or so to this thread, your opinion is pretty clear.

So is your disorder.

How about feeding yourself to something with big teeth, honey, and getting all happily, satisfyingly tense about it? In the name of science fiction and fucking peace.

by Anonymousreply 24106/26/2012

R241, I'm not the one with a disorder. Anyone who LIKES this piece of shit has a disorder.

by Anonymousreply 24206/26/2012

You do realize, r243, that ths is just a movie we're talking about here?

by Anonymousreply 24406/26/2012

R243, you have some serious issues. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 24506/27/2012

Oh, dear. And I'm the one pointing out the person posting 40 times screaming how every one who liked the movie is an idiot.

Get yourselves together, R244 and R245. It's one method of attempting to remove a troll. Your drooling is silly.

And, by the way, I didn't think the movie was very good. I just got tired of this ass jumping in every time someone posted.

by Anonymousreply 24606/27/2012

[quote][R243], you have some serious issues. Wow.

Dude, the only one with serious issues here is YOU. I clicked on Trolldar, and if anything is worthy of a "wow" here, it's your incessant posting. You're fucking nuts. Maybe it's time for a DataLounge vacation, hmm?

by Anonymousreply 24706/27/2012

Nah, R243, still has some serious issues. Possibly with project. Re-read your post, R243, and tell me that wasn't completely unwarranted.

You're an asshole.

And yes, the movie sucks.

by Anonymousreply 24806/27/2012

Wow. I just saw the movie today, and what a letdown. I was bored, plot was messy and Noomi doesn't have the star power for the part. Bummer.

by Anonymousreply 24907/04/2012

R167/Vincent- I only just saw this last night. I wonder how much Weyland-Yutani as a whole knew but in "Aliens," the colonists do not disappear until after Ripley comes back. I always thought it was Burke who believed Ripley and sent people out to investigate the ship.

by Anonymousreply 25007/11/2012

Burke seemed more like Ashe in Aliens. Used by The Company to bring the Alien back to them for their Bio-Weapons Division.

by Anonymousreply 25107/11/2012

You shouldn't need "star power" if the role is well-written or directed.

by Anonymousreply 25207/11/2012

R252 very, very true. I wish they would get back to that. You don't see that very much anymore. Alien was very well written. Nobody was a star in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25307/11/2012

I just saw "Aliens" last week and it looks as though Burke was pumping Ripley for info, that he had an inkling that her story was true.

The deleted scenes has an unnecessary sequence when Newt and her family find the ship and her father gets a facehugger. This is after Ripley has confessed all.

by Anonymousreply 25407/11/2012

In response to R250, I'm in agreement with both you and R251 to some degree. But I'm making assumptions that other people might have different thoughts about.

Burke may or may not have fully believed Ripley's story, but he was such an opportunist that he wanted it checked out in case it was true so that he could claim the discovery and use that to improve his position in the company (and 'embiggen' his salary). But I think he was just a rube of the actual power players of the company (those above than the panel of executives that Ripley gave her testimony to) and that he didn't realize how he was being used by them to oversee the marines expedition in order to make sure the Bishop android did as Ashe was supposed to do in Alien and get the specimen back to the weapons developers. I doubt that he was aware of any of the real facts from the Nostromo mission until Ripley's story. If so, he would be stupid to not assume the company saw him as expendable too, which he ultimately was.

Your post does have me thinking though and now I'm a little perplexed on something that I used to feel I had a handle on.

To start, the company expected or certainly hoped that something was on LV-426. That is apparent from Ashe's (secretive) prime directive being to bring a specimen back to Earth at whatever cost - crew expendable. Whether they knew exactly what kind of specimen is unclear at this point, but they clearly hoped that the Nostromo's responding to that distress signal would yield some find.

Presumably since the Nostromo was destroyed, nothing they experienced was relayed back to Earth. Was the 'Mother' computer communicating with the company before she was blown up? Maybe, but I'd think if they knew what all happened to the crew and Nostromo never came back to Earth, they would have quickly launched another mission back to the planet to collect an alien sample.

What I'm wondering now is what the thought process was when Nostromo never came back. If we assume they didn't learn anything from 'Mother,' then wouldn't they eventually launch another mission to find out why the folks from your first mission never made it back? Especially if that first mission was so important that you'd designate the lives of the crew members as secondary?

So now I'm interested to know why they'd proceed with setting up a colony without fully investigating that planet. It's not like the derelict ship was in a difficult to spot location. And another thing, did the distress beacon stop signalling at some point? Apparently, or else it would have been easy to find the ship.

If they were so interested in finding that ship in Alien, why didn't they look for it again until Ripley's story prompted Burke to give the order for Newt's parents to explore that sector of the planet? That's the scene R254 mentions which we didn't need to see because Ripley calls Burke out on it later when she let's him know she's not going to let him get an alien through quarantine.

Sorry again for another long post. I thought this thread was finished except for the random complaint about Prometheus sucking.

by Anonymousreply 25507/11/2012

Thanks for your insights, Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 25607/12/2012

"The Art of Being Despised"

Damon Lindelof and Seth Grahame-Smith had a joint panel today designed to address the disappointment that many fans had with each of the summer movies they penned. For those who don't know, Grahame-Smith wrote both Dark Shadows and Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter.

This is from the Nerd HQ thing that Zach Levi had organized in conjunction with (but down the street from) Comic-Con.

It's presented as a chance for them to voice their feelings and then for the audience to let them have it with questions and complaints. Well a lot of the former happens and very little of the latter. It's 52 minutes long and I think there were only 4 audience questions - all of which were for Lindelof, and none of which were critical of anything.

Damon does tell how he became involved in Prometheus and what kind of reworking he had to do to the script that he was given when he came on board. None of that is really new information. What might be of interest though is how although he says that he understands the fan complaints and wants to take responsibility for the end product being disappointing, his narration actually makes it sound like he was essentially writing the story as Ridley Scott was dictating it to him. So he isn't really taking full responsibility for poor crafting or the shit that doesn't make sense in the movie.

Start at about the 13 minute marker if you want to skip to the Prometheus-specific talk. He talks about it for maybe 10 minutes or so and the rest is mostly about Lost - including all of the audience questions. Grahame-Smith really never ends up talking about his rotten (I've heard - but I've seen neither of them) movies at all.

There is another video on MTV News of an interview Josh Horowitz did with Lindelof today. Again the Prometheus chat is minimal, but at least Horowitz asks two specific questions which Damon mostly (unsatisfactorily) answers.

1. Why was it necessary for Weyland to keep it secret that he's alive? Answer: Maybe the scientists would have questioned what his real motive was if they knew he was alive and going on the journey with them.

2. Why cast Gary Oldman to just cover him up with old man makeup. Answer: (and this is one that I think most of us already knew) There was at least one scene cut from the finished film of Weyland as a younger man.

I leave you with one promising thing...I get the strong impression that he doesn't think he'd be asked to write a sequel to Prometheus - if such a thing even happens.

by Anonymousreply 25707/15/2012

R257 did someone really ask why they cast Gary Oldman? Because Gary Oldman wasn't in Prometheus. Guy Pearce played Weyland, and covering him with make-up was just a crime.

by Anonymousreply 25807/15/2012

My bad R258. No, they got Guy Pearce correct and I just typed it wrong.

Thanks for the catch. I'm not sure why I had Oldman on the brain.

by Anonymousreply 25907/15/2012

I don't know what everyone is having hysterics over. Was Prometheus up to Alien/Aliens caliber? No, but it was decidedly good, and I enjoyed it. A movie doesn't have to be perfect to qualify as good.

by Anonymousreply 26007/15/2012

The good stuff about Prometheus was it was stunning to watch on a big screen. It had good production values. It also has a decent cast. I loved Fassbender, and Charlize and Noomi were good, and I think Idris Elba is hot.

But the story was a convoluted mess. And maybe the editing contributed, but I felt it was a disappointment. I don't go to the movies. Unless there is something that requires a big screen I'm mostly into foreign films and indies I watch at home.

Prometheus was a big disappointment to me. And if I have to go to forums or watch interviews to have the plot or characters "explained" to me then that's just a further indication of the failure of the film. Ridley blew it.

by Anonymousreply 26107/15/2012

Prometheus makes Spiderman look like Citizen Kane. Is there even a Spiderman thread on the board?

by Anonymousreply 26207/15/2012

Prometheus is the first movie worth watching in 3 d for me

by Anonymousreply 26307/15/2012

R263, then you have absolutely no taste. The movie is gawdawful, horrible, bad, rotten, and not even worth sitting through for free.

by Anonymousreply 26407/15/2012

[quote]No, but it was decidedly good, and I enjoyed it. A movie doesn't have to be perfect to qualify as good.

No, it was decidedly shitty. Yeah,the visuals were good here and there, but that was ALL.

The story was horrible, the plotting was horrible, the editing was horrible, some of the acting was excruciatingly bad ("..FATHER!!", ugh), nothing made any sense at all, complete lack of character motivations for actions, ...

It not only wasn't perfect, it wasn't any good. Easily the worst movie of the year.

There was nothing there to enjoy, unless all you care about is watching meaningless colors and shapes move around on a screen. And in that case you're probably an infant, so the story/plot/character problems didn't bother you at all.

by Anonymousreply 26507/15/2012

I just saw it, and I'm with r235.

I was aware of all its flaws while watching it, but still enjoyed watching it. Which can't be said of Alien 4 or the AvP movies.

I suppose the difference is, the story - no matter how poorly executed - takes us forward, and thus captures our (or at least my) attention.

I did think the Engineer looked reasonably creepy. They didn't attempt a totally different, i.e. non-human creature, which actually made him all that more scary. I also liked the hologram scenes, and thought they were atmospheric and eerie.

Fassbender was good, but he was an amalgam of O'Toole/Bowie/every droid before him, so he brought nothing new to the table. Not that that is a bad thing. He is a good actor indeed.

Noomi Rapace was fine, but not remarkable. She is a tad too short to pull off this role, I'm afraid.

The squid was laughable, and they tried to re-hash as many pivotal scenes from Alien, Aliens AND other films as well - the "Father" scene was like a nod to Star Wars, and Guy Pearce even looked like Darth Vader in Jedi (sans the mask).

Now that I've left the cinema, and thinking about the film, all the plot holes are much more jarring. It IS lazy screenwriting, it IS unfocused directing, and it IS cardboard acting (Theron).

Too bad. Just goes to show that films like this should be approached with caution.

I'm also really disappointed that - looking back - the trailer did give away the entire film. In a sea of flaws, this might be the most offensive one.

All things considered, I do hope they will shoot more films, as the series still has great potential. But they need a different director, and most certainly a different writer. Just why they hired the guy from Lost is a mystery. That show was widely criticized for its incoherent writing. Well done, everybody!

To make up for this mess, they should do one final Alien film with Sigourney Weaver, and NOT try anything new with it. Give us one more Alien-chasing-a-crew, only with state of the art production, yet NO new concepts for storytelling. Weaver must be the enemy of the Aliens.

This in addition to this new series. I want more, but with people who know what they're doing.

Ridley Scott, hate to say it, is TOO OLD.

by Anonymousreply 26608/15/2012

Honestly, I liked every other "Alien" movie in the franchise better than this one (not counting AvP, as I don't consider them canon).

by Anonymousreply 26708/15/2012

My own view is that taking the mystery out of "Alien" (the original one) was a horrible idea. And "Prometheus" badly executed that idea.

by Anonymousreply 26808/15/2012

The Alien series, at least the first four, were my go to Sci Fi movies. Loved them. Just like I loved the first two Predators.

But I think the franchise was destroyed when they started grinding out the crap sequels in the "Alein vs.Predator." series.

It cheapened everything, was all about special effects, and turned what had been something fine in Sci Fi genre, into garbage. I was totally over them.

Ridley Scott didn't seem to recognize or fully appreciate how destructive those sequels were to the orginal Alien franchise, and how much people who were fans of the original, hungered for something smart.

I looked forward to Ridley's re-interpretation in Prometheus, and came away from it impressed with the visuals, but completely disappointed in the story.

I don't mind leaving the film with questions. I had questions after the original and it's three sequels. I do mind the ridiculously sloppy storyline, plot holes and careless editing that was too obvious to ignore.

As I thought about it later, I realized that anyone of us could have done a better job than the writer who gave us this drek. Recently Ridley announced he'll make another Prometheus based film. I don't think I will see it.

He's taken a successful frnachise and rendered it unwatchable. He had all the elements for a really satisfying story and he blew it.

by Anonymousreply 26908/15/2012

I agree, r269. It was basically an extended episode of Lost, complete with four-toed statues, temples, plot holes, and question upon question.

Scott took the goodwill of us old-time fans for granted while aiming for the Lost crowd. Sadly he failed to understand that show was only good in its first season, and a mess for the rest.

In any case, he's only ever had two good films in him. All of this should be no surprise.

I'm curious where you've read that he will do another Prometheus film? This news would have been all over the internet, but I haven't noticed it.

With regard to the Alien movies proper, I still think making Weaver one of 'them' in Alien 4 was the lowest point in the entire franchise.

At least Prometheus wasn't as silly as that.

by Anonymousreply 27008/15/2012

R270, I disagree. I think Alien 4 was superior to Prometheus in every way.

by Anonymousreply 27108/15/2012

Neither Alien 4 nor Prometheus were scary.

They were both silly, each in their own particular way.

Scott is indeed going to film the next installment, Fox have confirmed it.

Lindelof won't be on board, but that doesn't mean Scott won't find a terrible script from another terrible writer that he deems brilliant. The man has no taste re storytelling.

Let's not forget he was picked for the Alien script back in the day, not the other way round.

If Fox had any sense, they would force a good script on him. But Fox is owned by Murdoch, so there's not much hope.

by Anonymousreply 27208/16/2012

It should have been called "Pretentious".

That said, I did enjoyed looking at it on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 27308/29/2012

An article linked to the thread about the overall disappointing summer at the box office mentioned that Fox has greenlit a Prometheus sequel. I hadn't heard that previously so I had to look for more online.

Indications are that it will be another Ridley Scott movie and that Damon Lindelof won't be the screenwriter.

So I wonder if they can recruit a writer that can convince Ridley that the story and behavior of the characters has to make sense.

by Anonymousreply 27409/03/2012

The movie made over $301M (budget was $130M), so I think this is seen as a winner which would merit a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 27509/10/2012

Worldwide gross is 350 million now.

The problem is, most people were disappointed with the film, so the in-built Alien fanbase is not guaranteed to return next time. They really should pay attention with this new film.

Then again, considering that people showed up for Attack of the Clones, even though PM was universally reviled, my point makes no sense, I guess.

I wish Fox would force a good script on Scott, but you just know they're not smart enough to do that.

by Anonymousreply 27609/10/2012

Just saw a commercial advertising that the DVD is coming out this week.

The tagline was "Questions Will Be Answered."

So I wonder if that means they filmed a different movie for the DVD release.

Sometimes I crack myself up.

by Anonymousreply 27710/07/2012

I'm hoping one of you who get's the Blu-Ray with the extended scenes lets us know if any of the cut stuff fleshes out the story at all.

Maybe there would be some stuff that would minimize the criticism that a lot of us have leveled at that film. It would be nice to know if there is anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 27810/11/2012

[quote]Ridley Scott didn't seem to recognize or fully appreciate how destructive those sequels were to the orginal Alien franchise, and how much people who were fans of the original, hungered for something smart.

Destructive? Darlin', they're just movies.

by Anonymousreply 27910/11/2012

The people saying "they're just movies" are the reason we get subpar films like Prometheus. If we demanded quality product, and stayed away from dreck like these prequels, Hollywood would be forced to work harder on the product they release.

Alien was not "just a movie", it was a film with big ideas executed well. Why should its much lesser prequel get a pass, just because it's a "film"? Especially considering Scott announced this as a film "of ideas"?

If you want entertainment and nothing but, I'm sure Rhianna and Justin Timberlake are working on new films for your delectation.

For the rest of us, it can only be stated that George Lucas has truly poisoned the well. Ridley Scott has taken up his mantel; they're both completely oblivious as to what made their original films successful.

by Anonymousreply 28010/11/2012

[quote]Alien was not "just a movie", it was a film with big ideas executed well.

I'm sorry, but it waan't. It had a couple of ideas that weren't exactly groundbreaking to start with, which were then pumped up in the mind of fanboys who had little else to lay their hands on at the time (save themselves, no doubt). This nonsense that inflates well-done genre filmmaking into some sort of meditation on The Great Questions does the film as much damage as a bad prequel does, by making it seem pretentious and insufferable in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 28110/11/2012

Speak for yourself, r281.

Alien has been studied by academics many times over, and not just by film historians, but in gender studies, lit, and social scieneces as well. The film was chock full of groundbreaking ideas, and many scholarly theories can be applied to it.

You won't see any academic paper on Prometheus, though.

Finally, people who commence a post with "I'm sorry, but" usually have no clue, and can't be trusted. They also aren't "sorry" at all.

Thanks for confirming this one more time.

by Anonymousreply 28210/12/2012

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I re-watched Prometheus yesterday and based on certain things I missed the first time around, did anybody come to the "obvious" (plausible) conclusion that Dr. Shaw is the Space Jockey that Tom Skerrit discovered in Alien? I am thinking she is.

How many movies are there going to be? Two or three? I think the final movie takes place on LV-426, and that Space Jockey with the chest burst Nostromo discovered looks like it could be Dr. Shaw in the Engineer spacesuit.

by Anonymousreply 28310/14/2012

How do gay men feel about Maxim Magazine? Do they jerk off to it?

by Anonymousreply 28410/14/2012

The space jockey was huge, much too big to be Dr Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 28510/28/2012

100 things that were wrong with Prometheus

by Anonymousreply 28611/11/2012

Just watched on DVD. Hugely disappointing. As many others have pointed out, the characters's actions make no sense. The biggest ridiculousness was Shaw having an emergency c-section to take out an alien life form out of her but deciding not to mention it to anyone.

Instead, she decides to go back to the spaceship because she has "questions".

Mindnumbingly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 28711/23/2012

My opinion of someone goes way down if they say they liked this movie.

Same with the movie "Armageddon", which suffered a lot of the same sorts of completely illogical plot holes and character motivations and violations of self-consistency and physics.

by Anonymousreply 28811/23/2012

How is it possible for a woman to jump and run around an hour after a cesarean?

by Anonymousreply 28911/28/2012

I'm not sure why this is making news today since we've known about it for months (as appears farther upthread). But EW has it as one of their headlines.

Damon Lindelof is officially not writing the Prometheus sequel.

by Anonymousreply 29012/21/2012

It would have been OK for Prometheus to win the one Oscar it was nominated for - Visual Effects. But Life of Pi is definitely worthy.

That and Production Design or Cinematography (neither of which the movie got nominations for) are the things that Ridley Scott films usually do impressively well.

But Prometheus got nothing except for an overused joke from Seth MacFarlane about how the movie makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 29102/26/2013

Prometheus 2 (or whatever they'll call it) is moving forward. Seems they have selected a screenwriter - Jack Paglen.

Hopefully this guy has some ideas for characters that make sense. And hopefully he'll have the balls to tell Ridley 'no' when the director is demanding that certain things happen in the story - even though they don't follow any rational thought process.

by Anonymousreply 29206/18/2013

Damn it!

I'm so confused and don't want to get too excited about this, but it looks like there is going to be a new Alien film.

But this will be separate from the Prometheus sequel... which unfortunately is still going forward as well with Ridley Scott working on it.

Neill Blomkamp (that's the other part of the exciting news) is saying that he will be directing a new Alien film. Great choice!

AND.. (are you sitting down??) Sigourney might be involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean the news about a new project would be only half as exciting without Ripley somehow playing in to the story.

by Anonymousreply 29302/20/2015

Wired has an article highlighting pros and cons to Blomkamp taking the helm of the new Alien movie.

by Anonymousreply 29402/20/2015

this moviw wasnt aboutold man. it was transferring his being intoa younger body. the med pod was created for him to prolong his elderly life until the transference could occur. the robot android was created to facilitate language barriers and to interact with the mainframes of the ships computers, thsts why he was able to fly the aliens ships.

finally the planet they are on was an alien mil base used to train the warrior aliens whoseintent was to colonize new words hospitable for their species survival. the atmosphere of the training worldwasnt condusive to the dynamicsof life superceded by the fact that the aliens bodies were fragile without armour. the place the aliens wanted was earth

by Anonymousreply 29502/20/2015

I agree w r295.

It was a very good movie. Not excellent. But very good

by Anonymousreply 29602/20/2015

I believe Alien 5 will have Ripley and Hicks but not Newt. From what I have heard from movie forums, Alien 3 and Alien 4 will be dreams.

by Anonymousreply 29702/20/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!