Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robert Pattinson and David Cronenberg to reunite for 'Maps to the Stars'

JUN 7 2012

For those of you who don’t get how David Cronenberg would want to work with Robert Pattinson, just look at Breaking Dawn. If Bella’s pregnancy doesn’t count as a prime example of Cronenbergian body horror, then I don’t know what does. And now, it appears that

Pattinson and Cronenberg are hoping to pair up once more following their upcoming Cosmopolis. Pattinson confirmed to EW that he’s attached to the director’s long-gestating Maps to the Stars — although he’s not sure when they would begin production. “I don’t know if I’m doing it next,” he says. Cronenberg has stated that he hopes to cast frequent collaborator Viggo Mortensen as well.

The film would be based on a script by novelist and screenwriter Bruce Wagner, who has also written an adaptation of Jonathan Lethem’s novel, As She Climbed Across the Table, for Cronenberg.

“It’s about child stars,” says Pattinson of Wagner’s script. “It’s very funny. It’s very, very dark.”

Cosmopolis, which is based on a 2003 Don DeLillo novel, debuted two weeks ago at the Cannes Film Festival.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

But... but...

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2012

"It’s very funny"

It WAS very funny - Rob's casting has killed THAT one stone dead...

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2012

It seems Cronenberg likes Robert.

Doesn't that mean he thinks Rob has some potential?

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2012

R3, not really.

Cronenberg always was a sucker for certain stars, whether they can act or not. He said Keira was a great actress. He lost all credibility after that. And Robert is looking for credibility as actor after the Twatlight series is over and I'm sure he's being very nice to David, who I think is bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2012

[quote] David: "Robert Pattinson is bankable and it helps the auteur cinema. Funds for the movie were really hard to find. Actually, Robert helped us a lot because of Twilight and that we can't deny. So bless them! Bless the Twilight movies without which I couldn't have made this movie. "

by Anonymousreply 506/08/2012

Has anyone here seen Cosmopolis yet?

by Anonymousreply 606/08/2012

I don't think it's in general release yet, R6

by Anonymousreply 706/08/2012

Bruce Wagner? Who will he put in this? He always writes about versions of the stars...if you've ever read his stuff, you know. Between Bruce and Cronenberg they know some shit but will they reveal it?

by Anonymousreply 806/08/2012

I think it opens tonight.

I want DLers to talk about it because I think I am going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 906/08/2012

Cosmopolis got some horrible reviews. It looks awful.

Cronenberg is doing Eastern Promises 2 first, so who knows when this film will get off the ground.

by Anonymousreply 1006/08/2012

Not in the US, R9.

It doesn't come out until August in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1106/08/2012

Well if it tells about our society, the rape of the poor by the wealthy...there will be a lot of people who won't like it.

by Anonymousreply 1206/08/2012

Map Of The Stars has been scribbled by novelist and Nightmare On Elm Street 3 writer Bruce Wagner. The tale follows the lives of various actors and agents in the movie business and is said to be hip-deep in excess and intrigue.

“You could say it's a Hollywood film because the characters are agents, actors and managers, but it is not a satire like The Player," Cronenberg made clear. Wagner’s script it seems was Cronenberg’s main motivation for jumping onboard.

“Bruce is brilliant about writing characters in this world, and I'd wanted to do something with him for ages.”

by Anonymousreply 1306/08/2012

R9, it's 'Bel Ami' that opens tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1406/09/2012

[quote]scribbled by novelist and Nightmare On Elm Street 3 writer Bruce Wagner.

Well that just has quality film written all over it, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1506/09/2012

Cosmopolis opens tonight in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 1606/09/2012

Cronenberg never gets good reviews though, does he, r10? That doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a crappy film.

I remember a lot of his films became cult classics without critical hype.

Critics are often full of shit these days anyway. Those who eviscerated Knightley for her performance don't realize that the woman she was portraying was batshit. Cronenberg had discussions about whether to tone it down, and lose the accuracy, or stick to history.

I don't know if he made the right call (didn't see the movie), but it cost him at the BO because of the stupid fucking critics.

by Anonymousreply 1706/09/2012

If Robert and David want me to watch their movies, they're going to have to agree that Rob needs to do full-frontal nudity in the next one. Otherwise there's not much interest value there. A quick glimpse of his ass is not enough.

by Anonymousreply 1806/09/2012

If you don't know who Wagner is, you are unlearned and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 1906/09/2012

[quote]Those who eviscerated Knightley for her performance don't realize that the woman she was portraying was batshit.

You know, it is possible for an actress to play a crazy person badly. I saw the film and Knightley's performance was abominable.

by Anonymousreply 2006/09/2012

Fair enough, r20. As I said, I didn't see the movie.

I did read the critics, whose complaint was that her performance was "over the top". There was no mention of specifics.

by Anonymousreply 2106/09/2012

They are so hot. I'd like to see them eat each other's ass out.

by Anonymousreply 2206/09/2012

[quote]I remember a lot of his films became cult classics without critical hype.

Now he just makes boring, talky films. A Dangerous Method and Cosmopolis won't be cult classics.

by Anonymousreply 2306/09/2012

Well, I just saw Cosmopolis!

R23 is correct. It's a boring, talky film that will not be a cult classic. It has its moments, but I don't really like an entire film of stylized dialogue.

There a couple of scenes where he has his shirt off.

The Twiilight kids and their mothers won't like it.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2012

The movie sounds campy, but not necessarily in a good way. But it does have Julianne Moore in it. Seriously. Although her film choices as of late have been mixed.

Here is a synopsis.

[quote]The Weiss family is the archetypical Hollywood dynasty: father Sanford is an analyst and coach, who has made a fortune with his self-help manuals; mother Cristina mostly looks after the career of their son Benjie, 13, a child star. One of Sanford’s clients, Havana, is an actress who dreams of shooting a remake of the movie that made her mother, Clarice, a star in the 60s. Clarice is dead now and visions of her come to haunt Havana at night… Adding to the toxic mix, Benjie has just come off a rehab program he joined when he was 9 and his sister, Agatha, has recently been released from a sanatorium where she was treated for criminal pyromania.

Cusack will play Sanford, Moore will play Havana, Wasikowska as Agatha.

Pattinson appears to have a bit part as a limo driver Mia's character is dating.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

Bruce Wagner's work tends not to translate well on the big sceen.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.