Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

White Collar

It's okay.

by Anonymousreply 4612/17/2013

It's better than ok. Bomer and DeKay have excellent chemistry together, as do DeKay and Thiessen

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2012

And Mozzie! Don't forget Mozzie.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2012

The cases are dull. 90s basic cable level writing and directing. But good actors. Good chemistry. Bomer's hot.

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2012

Cute dog too

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2012

***AHEM***

by Anonymousreply 506/08/2012

I'm a big fan of Matt but I can't really get into the show either. The early episodes were good but then it became obsessed with being all slick and glittery.

Neal also seems underwritten. There's something too innocuous about him, when he should be sexy and dangerous.

Willie Garson is excellent.

I will say that Tiffani looks great for a woman with a few extra curves on her.

by Anonymousreply 706/08/2012

That's why it's on USA, OP.

by Anonymousreply 806/08/2012

R7, Tiffani looks wonderful with extra curves. She's dropped the Amber, R5

by Anonymousreply 906/08/2012

It is a show that very much meanders between okay and meh. Sure Bomer and Dekay are fun together, and god knows Bomer is sexy, but unfortunately that still isn't enough to make me want to watch it regularly and I have tried.

by Anonymousreply 1006/08/2012

It's like most other USA shows: competently executed, kind of bland, and it feels like an inferior derivative of something you've seen before done much better.

by Anonymousreply 1106/08/2012

[quote] It's like most other USA shows: competently executed, kind of bland, and it feels like an inferior derivative of something you've seen before done much better.

USA does Royal Pains. They advertise the hell out of that show here in the Hamptons, plastering posters on buses, etc. and we're all, "Why would we watch a show filmed in Los Angeles and on the North Shore of Nassau County that looks and sounds nothing like the Hamptons? Why don't they spend the money advertising the show in California or Toronto?"

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2012

Doesn't work for me anymore, only reason i started watching was Matt, but couldn't hack all Gloss and no Substance..

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2012

Anyone watching? New episode premiered this week.

And I have to say: Treat Williams is the perfect guy to play Matt Bomer's dad.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

Every time I watch this I keep thinking how it would have been different/better if Neal was genuinely written as a sociopath/psychopath.

I've seen other people write the same thing.

Maybe if it was an FX show.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Neal from the start was never a true sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

Someone who is a successful conman/thief would by definition be a complete sociopath.

Whatever, you don't watch White Collar to learn about criminology.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

Neal fits some, but not all, of the criterion.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

Bomer is not believable as a romantic leading man. His love scenes with actresses seem contrived and fake.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

[quote] It's like most other USA shows: competently executed, kind of bland, and it feels like an inferior derivative of something you've seen before done much better.

Exactly. The show would have been more interesting if it had been a FX or AMC show. USA's anodyne formula ensures their characters never have any complexity or shadings.

I watched the first season because of Matt. I like him a lot, but there wasn't enough there in terms of good character development and story telling to keep my attention. It's lasted this long because of Matt and the great chemistry he has with TIm DeKay. They do the best they can with the material and their charm glosses over the weak writing.

Their recently canceled Common Law was a variant of the White Collar formula: a buddy cop show that features one "rogue" cop, one "by the book" cop. The casting in this case, however, didn't generate enough sparks to mask the show's problems.

[quote] Neal from the start was never a true sociopath.

They didn't have to write him as a sociopath to make him a complex, flawed character. Instead Neal is a child who means well but whose impetuosity gets him in trouble, from which Peter has to bail him out and then give him a stern lecture afterwards. I'm not interested in watching a child.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

interpersonal relationships/character development: good

storytelling/writing: wretched, verging on unwatchable

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

I thought Matt had more chemistry with Hilarie Burton than with the woman who played Kate.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

What would happen to Matt when this show end?

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

Its core audience seems to like its superficiality and it seems to be coasting fairly successfully on it: a beautiful man and in beautiful clothes in beautiful locations; kinetic editing, rapid dialogue, very little time to think. You watch it to enjoy looking at it, rather than to think about it.

The problem with chemistry has less to do with Bomer and more to do with the way Neal Caffrey is written. They seem reluctant to make him a very sexual man and instead opt to make him a somewhat immature romantic; when a person like him should be the exact opposite (think Don Draper).

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

But why did the USA people decide to make this season's plot an exact copy of Burn Notice--a sexy protagonist searching for his father (or father figure), while being double-crossed by a handler?

During the earlier seasons, when White Collar was actually about art crime, I found it mildly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

Every season of White Collar is about Neal searching for something while being double-crossed by (or double-crossing) his handler.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

[quote] I thought Matt had more chemistry with Hilarie Burton than with the woman who played Kate.

Kate was a plot device. She was never a character and that was the problem. That was why you could never invest in his his search for her. Very poor writing.

[quote] The problem with chemistry has less to do with Bomer and more to do with the way Neal Caffrey is written. They seem reluctant to make him a very sexual man and instead opt to make him a somewhat immature romantic;

R24 has it. In Neal's romance with Sara, they're going for a Howard Hawks archness rather than a real emotional relationship. It all comes off as a very pale imitation. Now if they paired Neal with the Elisha Dushku character there's potential for serious heat, but the writers would never dare to go there.

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

The problem with Caffrey is that we're clearly shown and repeatedly reminded that he seeks men for emotional intimacy and validation. So introducing a woman as anything other than a sex object contradicts the character. That's why the relationship with Sara doesn't work. Much like Don Draper is only able to be emotionally intimate with his platonic ideals, Anna and Peggy, but can only fetishize the women he actually sleeps with.

The only real chemistry Neal has is with Alex, who is essentially a female version of himself. Which actually makes sense for the characters, since they are both narcissistic sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

Ratings just cratered for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2902/06/2013

Neal has a good brother-sister like relationship with Elizabeth (Tiffani Thiessen).

by Anonymousreply 3002/06/2013

Ratings are down because the plots are bad and Neal is lacking charm this mini-season.

It's not a show that does well in cold weather; it's summer escapist fare (as are all the other original series on USA) and that's where it should stay.

Same with Burn Notice and Suits.

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2013

Ratings were actually the same as summer until last night. It usually does .9-1.0. (the high of 1.2 was for the shirtless boxing episode.)

But I guess if so many people just tuned out it means the story isn't turning out to be exciting enough for them to watch it live.

by Anonymousreply 3202/07/2013

I enjoy Suits and tried Burn Notice and it was just so bad, so boring, so pointless. The actors seemed competent but the script was so stupid. I'm thinking of trying White Collar but think it will be the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 3302/07/2013

Is it wrong that I constantly wish for the two leads to make out with each other?

by Anonymousreply 3402/07/2013

It'd be wrong if you didn't.

Someone on another site said Peter and Neal's relationship is essentially Stockholm Syndrome combined with the gay version of the Oedipus Complex.

by Anonymousreply 3502/07/2013

I only watch for Bomer but the writing is so bad that I have to DVR it so I can fast forward through the worse and most boring parts. I won't miss it when it's gone. I only hope that afterwards Bomer finds something better with a good show runner and some talented writers.

by Anonymousreply 3602/08/2013

Hillarie Burton lost a lot of weight during season 3.

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2013

Renewed for 16 more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3805/30/2013

It's....a....TV show on USA.

by Anonymousreply 3905/30/2013

Pics of recent filming. All look good. Tiff has her hair up.

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2013

It's good watchable TV.

by Anonymousreply 4108/24/2013

Bomer and DeKay to go undercover as gay lovers in one episode this season

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

Is DeKay gay?

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4412/15/2013

R42 are you serious? That would be a great episode. R43 well he's married and has two kids but if you believe everything you read on DL then anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 4512/17/2013

How has this season been?

by Anonymousreply 4612/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.