Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you hate your job?

What is your job? Why do you hate/love it? Would you recommend it to others?

I'm looking at a major career change and I'm curious to know how other DLers feel about their professions.

by Anonymousreply 4709/30/2013

I love my job, but I can't stand the majority of my colleagues. They spend most of the day moaning about what's wrong with the organisation without ever wondering how they play a large part in what's wrong. They equate to a hard and erect penis that just dribbles out a few watery lumps.

by Anonymousreply 206/06/2012

Like my job. Hate my salary.

by Anonymousreply 306/06/2012

How can they fix what's wrong, r2?

Asking, because I might be in the same situation and I'd like to see a different POV.

by Anonymousreply 406/06/2012

You spend such a large fraction of your waking life at work, it's a tragedy if you hate your job. Life is too short. If you're working for the weekend, you're not managing your life well. Here, let me slap you smartly. OK now, I feel much better.

by Anonymousreply 506/06/2012

I used to be an office drone, and I hated that. I was bored silly, and was terribly frustrated because I had so much more to offer the world!

So I went to nursing school in midlife, and now I'm an ICU nurse. The job uses every single thing I have to offer - my intelligence, my perception, my compassion, and my physical strength. So while I hate my management (who doesn't), my job offers some real satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 606/06/2012

They could leave, R4/OP, but they love being victims.

by Anonymousreply 706/06/2012

I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Five and 1/2 months, and then I'm gone.

by Anonymousreply 806/06/2012

I love my job, I hate my pay.

by Anonymousreply 906/06/2012

r8, are you leaving for a new job?

by Anonymousreply 1006/06/2012

No, r10, i'm retiring.

by Anonymousreply 1106/06/2012

I'm envious, r8.

Interesting, r7. I'll have to think on that one.

by Anonymousreply 1206/06/2012

Call center drone. Hate it.

R6 how old we're you when you started nursing school?

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2012

r8/r11, what will you do in retirement?

by Anonymousreply 1406/06/2012

Business Systems Analyst. I like it. Don't love it. But it's relatively easy work for near-engineering level pay.

by Anonymousreply 1506/06/2012

I both love and hate my job. You caught me on a bad day because I have to vent. I'm a decorator. (Yes, Mary.) I love interacting with people and finding how I can really make a difference in their day to lives. Your home is your refuge, and I think, so important to your day to day life.

Today, after working with a client since January, we found out her sofas will be delayed by 2 weeks. The rest of the living room is waiting to be installed. EVERYTHING else is ready. Drapery, accessories, all of it. This is a weekend house for her. She was planning on taking delivery on Father's Day, and then hosting a housewarming party the following weekend.

She broke down on the phone. Called 4 times today to see if the factory could send things in time for the party. No designer has that kind of pull. Delays happen. If I had known she was planning a party, I would have told her to wait a month after delivery. She won't take delivery of anything until everything is ready. I could make the room work with the old sofas. Oy. Don't cry to me about your weekend house housewarming plans being RUINED. Most people are worried about keeping their primary homes.

by Anonymousreply 1606/06/2012

My work is boring but easy and the benefits are great. I'd probably abandon all ambition I ever pretended to have and stay there forever if I liked my coworkers - even though I work in a big city and it's hard to find someone over 30 in the office, sometimes it's like eating lunch with a bunch of slightly drunk racist/homophobic uncles with the shit people pull out when they're not in mixed company (as far as they know).

by Anonymousreply 1706/06/2012

Get a load of R16. You promised her a room by a certain date. It's your fault that you made promises you can't keep. So very typical of "decorators" who give real professional designers a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 1806/06/2012

I don't hate my job or coworkers but I am so ready to retire and start my next phase in life.

by Anonymousreply 1906/06/2012

R17 what is your easy job?

by Anonymousreply 2006/06/2012

I'm too grateful to have it to hate it.

by Anonymousreply 2106/06/2012

I hate working

by Anonymousreply 2206/06/2012

Hello R18. Nice to see your bitchy comment. I no longer bother to designate between decorator/designer. I gave up paying my ASID dues because they haven't added any real value to my work, and cost more than they're worth. I was trained and have multiple degrees. My portfolio speaks for itself.

I never give promises that I can't keep. I give estimated dates. I'm assuming you're a designer who just hates the idea of being called a decorator.

by Anonymousreply 2306/06/2012

I can do my job easily enough.

Management makes it a soul-crushing, demoralizing pit of despair.

I hate, hate, hate it.

I'm supposed to take criticism about how I do my job from asshole supervisors who have NEVER done the work that I do? Fuck you very much.

by Anonymousreply 2406/06/2012

I like my job just fine.

by Anonymousreply 2506/07/2012

I used to hate my cushy job. Now I'm unemployed. For the last 6 months.

I have a potential job--ironically from my previous employer (before the cushy job). Another cushy job I hated...it may be me...

They were both great places to work and a lot of people would love to have the two organizations on their resumes. I just wasn't doing work I loved and I was dying on the inside and being passive aggressively whiny about it. I don't miss working at either places or working in general. I miss having an income and outrageously good benefits though. I miss having ambition and career goals. They died somewhere along those two cushy jobs.

by Anonymousreply 2606/07/2012

Does anyone like their job? If so, what do you do and why do you like it?

by Anonymousreply 2706/07/2012

I used to love my job, but now I hate it. The salary is good though and I need to eat.

by Anonymousreply 2806/07/2012

Customer service supervisor. Hate babysitting lazy people & dealing with bureaucracy. Quitting soon to join a band. Eff it.

by Anonymousreply 2906/07/2012

This has the potential to be an interesting thread but why is there no mention of the actual job that people love/hate in over 90% of the posts? What's the point of saying you love/hate the job without mentioning what the job actually is?

As for me, I'm a manager at a small bureau de change. Hate is a strong word, but I don't enjoy it and the pay is shit. Is anyone here a web-designer? Do you enjoy your work? I'm seriously looking to go back to school to study web-design later this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 3006/07/2012

I don't mind going to work. I just don't like being there all day.

by Anonymousreply 3106/07/2012

I like my job. Talk to people all day. Unplug my headset and leave. No responsibilties to take home. Union wages and benefits are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3206/07/2012

Seriously, it would help if people stated what they do and why they don't like it.

I work in a chemical lab. Love the work - very interesting. The management is driving the place into the ground and I loathe them.

by Anonymousreply 3306/07/2012

People on the phones, R29?

How does your company evaluate performance?

Union wages, R32? What state? How do they evaluate your job performance?

I'm R24, customer service rep.

by Anonymousreply 3406/07/2012

I've hated most of the jobs I've had. Right now I'm enjoying the one I have, but I've only been doing it for 3 months. I usually get bored at about 6 months. I think I'm liking the job because I was out of work for 14 months. I'm extremely grateful to be working even though I'm making a couple hundred dollars less a week than I was at the previous job.

I'm working for a startup company that does social media for other companies. Basically I spend most of my day posting on Facebook and Twitter for our clients. Since it's a startup they've also given me a few other things to do.

by Anonymousreply 3506/08/2012

I don't supervise the people on the phones; I manage the team of people who deal with the customers in person. And for the record; I HAVE done the phones. Worked my way up from rep, to team lead, to supervisor. Spent 2 years on the phones before being promoted. I know how hard it is to deal with the public & I treat my team with respect and I am always recognizing them for their work. What sucks is that they don't appreciate it.

The company gives out small crappy bonuses twice a year based on performance evaluations; but I recognize that it's not enough when you think of what the reps have to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 3606/08/2012

Go to school to become a Physical Therapist or a Physical Therapist Assistant(only two years for this). There are always jobs for therapists anywhere and the pay is excellent. I am a retired PT and loved my work..I miss it...sort of.

by Anonymousreply 3706/08/2012

That's interesting R35; I've heard of celebrities, politicians, etc hiring someone to manage their social media accounts, but somehow that seems like a mind boggling kind of thing to outsouce. Is your job considered "PR"? is the pay good?

I work for a government contractor. I hate to say but I've hated most of the jobs I've had. I like the people I work with, so I guess that's something, but I've never had a "calling" in life, like some people are just meant to be teachers or lawyers. Maybe my mediocre job is a reflection of a mediocre person.

by Anonymousreply 3806/08/2012

I'm very fortunate to have a job making six figures a year, but it's become way too stressful. I applied for a job in Germany making $20k less in an attempt to find something different.

by Anonymousreply 3906/08/2012

I work in higher education, working with students and employees. My pay horrible, but the job only gets stressful during certain times during the year. It is the people who work in academia that make me dislike my job. It is shocking how little they do, while getting paid huge salaries from government funds and staggering tuition rates. Higher ed is possibly the biggest scam in America, and it is glorified. Im looking for new job. I just want to be around more people who actually earn what they get paid.

by Anonymousreply 4006/08/2012

R38, I have a degree in PR and one in marketing which is how I fell into social media. I used to do Facebook and Twitter for one of the cell phone companies prior to this. My work group in one of their call centers got the company doing customer service via social media and then much of it was shifted to corporate people, versus people who did more customer service stuff.

I was paid more at the cell phone company, but I hated the place with every fiber of my being.

I lot of companies outsource social media. The company I work for focuses more on small businesses who know they should be doing it, but don't have the time to deal with it or the expertise. We also have a Facebook application that allows companies to add a lot more info to Facebook, including slide shows, mapping and directions and tabbed pages.

I also get to do the social media and PR for the company I work for as well.

by Anonymousreply 4106/08/2012

I love my job - I'm a bookkeeper and working toward becoming a full-fledged accountant.

However, I've recently been wondering if this is really realistic. I have major problems with organization, which is pretty essential to my line of work. I'm hoping that I can somehow get a handle on this so I can stay in this field.

by Anonymousreply 4206/08/2012

I've been flying for 28 years now. Hard to believe how quick time flies with this job (no pun intended). Still enjoy coming to work, I'm more comfortable with passengers and better at dealing with problems than I was when I started. Still enjoy layovers, room service and most of the people I work with. I'm not rich but that wasn't my intention when I took the job.

by Anonymousreply 4306/09/2012

I don't think so, r38. You probably have a life and would rather be spending your time elsewhere.

I've never really had a "calling", either. I don't mind working - I just don't want to deal with people and their constant drama.

by Anonymousreply 4406/09/2012

I hate my job and I'm 58. How can I get another job?

by Anonymousreply 4512/09/2012

Im a freelance copywriter in the agency world. Aside from making awesome money, I've grown to hate the job. The stress. The psychotic personalities. The insane hours. The outsized expectations.

I just finished a 9-week new business pitch and I am fucking spent physically and emotionally. Thankfully I'm taking the next month off. But still. Their is the pressure to find my next gig. The freelance world isn't what it used to be. I used to get emails all the time about work. Now, not so much.

Thinking of going over to the client side of things. Or go into pharma.

Either way, I'm just a compressed ball of ambient hate lately.

by Anonymousreply 4612/09/2012

Still hatin it

by Anonymousreply 4709/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.