Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Horror Writer Clive Barker Sued By Ex-Boyfriend who claims he Gave Him HIV

From TMZ:

Legendary horror maven Clive Barker -- who's responsible for the "Candyman" and "Hellraiser" franchises -- gave his ex-boyfriend HIV ... and then kicked him out on the street ... this according to claims in a new lawsuit.

Emilian David Armstrong says in the suit ... he met Barker in early 1996, and they quickly moved in together. Armstrong had a daughter from a previous heterosexual relationship. She also moved in.

Armstrong says in November, 1996, he was diagnosed with HIV. The suit claims Barker had tested positive and had urged Armstrong to get tested. Armstrong is convinced -- Barker gave him HIV.

Armstrong says Barker confessed he had previously engaged in a sexual relationship with his own cousin, who had AIDS -- and also engaged in sadomasochism in prior relationships that involved syringes.

As for why Armstrong waited 16 years to file a lawsuit -- Armstrong says he and Barker tried to work out their relationship and battle the virus together ... but things started to go south in 2003.

According to the lawsuit, that's when Barker became addicted to prescription painkillers such as Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, and Oxycodone. Armstrong claims Barker would mix these drugs with alcohol, cocaine, and/or crystal meth and use them for recreation.

But Armstrong says he still didn't give up on the relationship -- and tried to help Barker through his drug problems ... but they only got worse. Armstrong says Barker started throwing drug-fueled parties with young men ranging in age from 19 to early 20's.

The suit claims in 2009, Barker kicked Armstrong out of his house -- along with Armstrong's daughter -- and left them destitute.

Armstrong claims he was a partner in Barker's business ventures and is entitled to a cut of the profits. He also says he was promised support for life.

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013

Barker admits he's into S & M and needles and Armstrong is shocked, why?

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2012

Some laundry is dirtier than others, huh?

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2012

Obvioulsy Armstrong hasn't read any of Barker's novels; the guy is clearly a sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 406/06/2012

wow, that reads like something from the rightwing's dream press release. sick stuff...

by Anonymousreply 506/06/2012

IIRC, about 8-10 years ago, Barker mentioned having an adopted daughter, she's African American.

I recall Barker mentioning during a TV interview that he had an adopted daughter. During some scenes in the interview, he was shown with her.

Why would a guy who spends so much time partying, having S&M needle sessions and getting loaded on drugs, ever want to adopt a child?

I wonder if he actually adopted his boyfriend's daughter. I don't recall seeing the boyfriend during the TV interview.

by Anonymousreply 606/06/2012

So the Hellraiser remake is off then?

by Anonymousreply 706/06/2012

Any pics of the boyfriend?

Barker looked awful in the aforementioned interview, he looked roided-out and appeared to have facial wasting. At that point, her was light years away from the cute British guy I'd scene in another TV interview many years before when he hit the horror novel scene.

by Anonymousreply 806/06/2012

Chuck Palahniuk is lucky he lives a short plane ride away from the US/Canadian border!

by Anonymousreply 906/06/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1006/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1106/06/2012

I still can't understand why I'm taking Clive Barker's side in this gossip.

I've deleted many posts and they all come down to 'she said/she said' bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1206/06/2012

"Armstrong claims he was a partner in Barker's business ventures and is entitled to a cut of the profits. He also says he was promised support for life."

Armstrong sounds like a golddigging whore. That's what all golddigging whores say: "he promised to take care of me for life!"

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2012

I must have missed this story from earlier this year.

But now it looks like Clive Barker is off the hook. This lawsuit has been thrown out of court.

Happy New Year Clive!

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

I'm guessing this moocher thought he could get Clive to settle out of court with him in order to avoid being publicly embarrassed, but he underestimated how easily embarrassed he really was.

If it were me I would have thrown him out just for expecting me to support him and his crotchfruit for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

Lay down with the dog and you get up with the fleas.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

Clive Barker tricks with very young ,male fans at horror and literary conventions and has for years! These have been quickies in the men's room as well as the gratis hotel room provided for Barker. All bare back with party favors thrown in . My roommate in the early 90's was one such "fan" of Barker's and has told the tale to death! He is also now Poz but it's be impossible to know where he got it from and he is ,oddly,protective of Barker. Personally I can't believe for one minute Barker lived this quiet ,married life at home but who knows!

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

Barker sounds sick, but the ex sounds like a greedy opportunist.

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

Deviants, all of them!!

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

[quote]Clive Barker tricks with very young ,male fans at horror and literary conventions and has for years!

How young, r20?

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

So the gold digging bf moves in with him in 1996 and has his daughter in tow. Then he complains that both he and the daughter got bounced in 2009? That's 13 years later. What was the grown ass daughter still doing there? Both the the gold digger and his spawn were parasites. They're damn lucky they got a free ride for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

Late teens (my roommate was about 17 at the time). He was a slim,gothic (think young Pete Murphy) type. I guess "goth twink" type is a good description ? From what he has said that's Barker's groupie type as well...

After lurking for ages I finally have something to truthfully contribute to DL! Shall I retire ?

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

The ex-boyfriend and his fucking daughter sound like stereotypical leeches who latch onto somebody wealthy and expect to live large for the rest of their lives. I think Barker finally had enough and kicked them both out, and that was the whole basis for the lawsuit: money.

"He says he was promised support for life." That what ALL gold-digging whores say. It's probable that Barker is no angel, but the gold-digger's accusations are so over the top that it's ludicrous. Barker was "addicted to prescription painkillers such as Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, and Oxycodone?" And he "would mix these drugs with alcohol, cocaine, and/or crystal meth and use them for recreation?" If his drug use were that extreme, he'd be dead now. And cousin sex, and sadomasochism that involved syringes and drug-fueled sex parties with young men...boy, that was laying it on pretty thick. No wonder the case got thrown out. I'm glad it did! The erstwhile boyfriend sounds like a loser dickweed.

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

This is a pic of his boyfriend - lurking in the background. No, seriously - that's him.

by Anonymousreply 2812/28/2012

I don't feel terribly sorry for this guy, but I also think Barker is a monster in his own way.

by Anonymousreply 2912/28/2012

In early February 2012 Barker fell into a coma after a dentist visit led to blood poisoning. Barker remained in a coma for eleven days but eventually came out of it. Fans were notified on his Twitter page about some of the experience and that Barker was recovering after the ordeal, but left with many strange visions.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

He is sexy

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2012

It's easy enough to do, just match your HIV DNA to the other guys. you can tell who gave who what.

You should be held criminally liable if you transmit HIV.

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012

[quote]and also engaged in sadomasochism in prior relationships that involved syringes.

That's creepier than something I read once about the David Lynch Isabella Rossellini pairing where she once opened the fridge and found a dead cat in it.

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012

[quote]Barker sounds sick, but the ex sounds like a greedy opportunist.

Barker had to cancel his last Horror Show appearance because he was sick. And they will both be dead soon and you can't take it with you. Fucking settle and live the rest of your life without all the drama.

by Anonymousreply 3412/29/2012

Weird, R30. I'd like to hear more about these 'visions'.

by Anonymousreply 3512/29/2012

Must be pretty scary to go in for dental work and end up in a coma. 11 days. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 3612/29/2012

This seems scary too

by Anonymousreply 3712/29/2012

and hostile...

by Anonymousreply 3812/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 3912/29/2012

[quote]You should be held criminally liable if you transmit HIV.

Please Mary! It takes two to tango and everyone is responsible for their own personal safety. If you are barebacking you have no one to blame but yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4012/29/2012

Barker really lost his looks through hard living--too many drugs, too much smoking. He has genuine talent but he is a freak.

by Anonymousreply 4112/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 4212/29/2012

Behold! the ravages of age!

by Anonymousreply 4312/29/2012

R39, i'm sorry sugar, i don't know the name of this 'hard' model.

He is not my cup of tea anyway

by Anonymousreply 4412/29/2012

R32 and R40:

In many states in the USA, it is a criminal offense to transmit any STD, as it should be in my humble opinion.

Regarding STDs and their transmission in Florida, years ago I printed and saved the state statutes for reference, but will not list all of the individual diseases and their criminal categories here.

In Florida, if an HIV-positive adult infects another adult with HIV, a third-degree felony offense has been committed.

If an HIV-positive adult transmits HIV more than once, it's a first-degree felony.

These laws do not stop the spread of STDs, but I believe they would be more "effective" if the general public were more educated about them.

by Anonymousreply 4512/29/2012

I must confess that i haven't read yet Clive Barker. His books seemed somehow like cheap entertainment to me but maybe i was wrong. Have you read him? Is he more than...gory?

by Anonymousreply 4612/29/2012

Reply guys! You piss me off!

by Anonymousreply 4712/29/2012

Don't reply to r46. Keep pissing him off.

by Anonymousreply 4812/29/2012

He/she made such a confession though, r48. That must have been a real personal struggle.

by Anonymousreply 4912/29/2012

R46/R47, I've read a lot of Barker's work. His best novel by far is

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2012

Is it the disease or the meds that cause facial wasting?

by Anonymousreply 5112/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012

I haven't read it in 15 years, but one of his most memorable stories in the Books of Blood series was about a man who wanted to change physically and ran into a woman (Jacqueline?) with strange powers - I don't remember the whole set up. It was one of those 'be careful what you ask for' scenarios where he asked to be different and assumed she'd transform him in an instant, like in most fairytales, but instead she took his body and literally reworked it. Like used her psychic powers to twist his flesh into new configurations. It was way more confronting and grotesque and yet interesting than I've made it sound - it still scares me and I don't want to re-read it to find out what details I've gotten wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5312/30/2012

Hasn't he write a love story so far?

Is there any homosexuality in his books? If so, in which of his books? There are beautiful men or women in his stories, or mostly creepy monsters?

by Anonymousreply 5412/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 5512/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 5612/30/2012

R54, The protagonist of SANCTUARY is gay and Barker officially came out during the time of its release. I'd say that the villain in THE THIEF OF ALWAYS is probably an old queen, too, but I have no concrete proof of that. There are a few gay characters in his plays, as well.

by Anonymousreply 5712/30/2012

The Blue Cat these gays are caricatures or charming?

What about lesbianism in his books?

by Anonymousreply 5812/30/2012

I think there are lesbians in some of his short stories and in EVERVILLE, but it's been a long time since I read them.

His characters are always complex, not merely caricatures. I wouldn't describe many as "charming", though.

Read THE THIEF OF ALWAYS, which he originally wrote for teens, if you want to dip your toe in Barker's world and don't want to risk too much grotesqueness.

by Anonymousreply 5912/30/2012

I've always felt that Barker's crowning achievement was his novel Imajica.

by Anonymousreply 6012/30/2012

[quote] I hope he doesn't write as a gay misogynist...Does he?

Why on earth would you even think of that? Is this something you assume of all gay writers? What the fuck??

by Anonymousreply 6212/30/2012

R62 no way! Many men are misogynists and that has nothing to do with their sexuality but with the way they grew up...

I was just looking at his photos and it wouldn't surprise me if someone called him that (a misogynist). In addition, i always had the fleeting impression that his books are more gory than sentimental and soulful.

Maybe i'm wrong. Am i?

by Anonymousreply 6312/30/2012

A bunch of racist twats in this thread. If Clive was white and wanted to kick out his lover and child. The names he would be called. His lover might be wrong to some degree to expect something. But Clive sounds like a monster and a sadist. Here you all are getting your panties wet and defending him. Sickos!

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012

Isn't he white?

by Anonymousreply 6501/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 6601/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 6701/02/2013

I dub thee the 'too lazy to go to a library and read Clive Barker' troll. You've lit up the whole thread. Now begone, before someone drops a Book of Blood on you.

by Anonymousreply 6801/02/2013

R68 i thought we were pals. What went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 6901/02/2013

Clive Barker's deviant ART Gallery

by Anonymousreply 7001/04/2013

Clive Barker - Man With Bandaged Penis, 1999

by Anonymousreply 7101/04/2013

'Dick' (1998)

by Anonymousreply 7201/04/2013

Bound Penis. Male Nude by Clive Barker!

by Anonymousreply 7301/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!